Aberrant: Cognizant Chimera - Cognizant Chimera - The Early Years...

malkboy

David, I want a beer - you think it's too early for beer? Let's have us some beers.

"It's never too early for beer, whatchya want?"

David gets them both a beer... "Unfortunately I've found that they have no effect on me whatsoever now..."

The danger in the room seemingly lessened, Jimmy's skin reverts to normal and he steps away from the wall. Or at least he tries to; both of his palms feel like they're glued to the wall. Doing his best to suppress panic, he clears his throat.  "Uh, excuse me...can anyone help me out here? I think I'm stuck."

"Whoa, where did you come from? Here, let me see what I can do..." He walks over to try and help the distressed man out.

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Whoa, where did you come from? Here, let me see what I can do..." He walks over to try and help the distressed man out.

Try as he might, it quickly becomes evident to David that poor Jimmy is definitely stuck to the wall. The problem seems to be specific just to the hands, which are pressed palm-flat against the wall and won't come loose. Jimmy is able to move the rest of his body normally, but since he's facing forward, his arms can only stretch so far behind him.

Looking worried, Jimmy encourages David to pull harder, if he can.

Try as he might, it quickly becomes evident to David that poor Jimmy is definitely stuck to the wall. The problem seems to be specific just to the hands, which are pressed palm-flat against the wall and won't come loose. Jimmy is able to move the rest of his body normally, but since he's facing forward, his arms can only stretch so far behind him.

Looking worried, Jimmy encourages David to pull harder, if he can.

Lance rolls his eyes and approaches the wall

"Oh for gawds sake, get off of there!"

Gabriel stares at Eddie for a moment, mouth open, incredulous at what he just said, then bursts into loud, roucous, uncontrolable laughter that goes on and on for several minutes.

Eddie keeps a straight face for several seconds, blinking. After that, the sheer contagiousness of Gabriel's laughter starts to get to him, and he starts chuckling himself.

"Seriously, what's so funny? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I don't understand.."

Gabriel continues laughing, and Eddie raises an eyebrow.

"It's not that funny.."

"Uh, excuse me...can anyone help me out here? I think I'm stuck."

Eddie, who hadn't noticed him fade into the wall in the first place, approaches Jimmy and tugs at his hand, trying to remove it from the wall.

::blink "Wow, that's really peculiar.. That's definitely a new power." Then he grins. "You're like Spider-Man!"

"Er... Pete? Am I hallucinating, or did you just grow clones or something?

Each image of Finnegan throws a punch that blows just past the side of Lance's head. The blur of motion and the other Finnegans disappear stopping in front of Lance scowling.

"I do apologize Finny. - Lance wipes dust off of Finnegan's shoulders

Finnegan ever so calmly, "Touch me again and we'll see how many bones I can break in a hand at once." He walks to the front door bruskly moving past Michael as he leaves.

Cid sighs...this is getting to be a circus.

He stands and walks over to the stuck man.

*Fwip fwip fwip fwip* four bursts of warm light later...his hands and feet are free...but the wall is still stuck to them (kinda like wall shoes and palm gloves)

"You know...I was hoping this would be more...I dont know...eye opening. I know none of us has really had time to figure our powers out...but still. Thanks for the food Mr. Dog, but I have other things I need to be doing."

Cid looks over the room briefly. "It was nice meeting you all. I hope to meet you all again in better, more...meaningful...circumstance."

Provided there is no objection, he gives a brief wave, leaves his number with Mr. Dog in case he has real need, and takes off back to the airport.

Before Cid can even gets two steps towards Jimmy, Jimmy's eyes bulge out and he flings himself off the wall ripping the sections of wall where he was stuck clean off. Lance is the only one that seems unsurprised by this reaction, watching with a smug look on his face.

"You know...I was hoping this would be more...I dont know...eye opening. I know none of us has really had time to figure our powers out...but still. Thanks for the food Mr. Dog, but I have other things I need to be doing."

Finnegan ever so calmly, "Touch me again and we'll see how many bones I can break in a hand at once." He walks to the front door bruskly moving past Michael as he leaves.

Lance raises an eyebrow at Dawg

"Think he'll be back or have I officially just crashed your party?"

Without bothering to halt his momentum, the hapless Jimmy bursts into a run towards to closest exit. His speed incredible, the once-pudgy cubicle jockey floats into the air and zips through an open window to the backyard!

::shocked

Lance's eyes open wide as he turns his head from the peeled paint from the walls to DD and back the to the wall again. He lets out a low whistle and exclaims

"Man! You'd think he would've let go of the wall first! Y'know, instinct or something!"

He shrugs

"Guess I'd better find him and tell him it wasn't real...One of you fliers might want to try to catch up to him and tell him... - he stops for a moment scratching his head - oh, while you're at it, apologize for me. ::halo "

A powerful sense of danger impresses itself on Jimmy, and he halts in mid-air, sniffing and turning his head back and forth. Hackles rising on the back of his neck, he looks up and growls. All of a sudden, his rational mind kicks back into gear, and he looks down at himself. His new body, his new powers. The screams from the mass of reporters and onlookers ring clearly in his ears. Every instinct pushes him to flee...but the smell of burning flesh is unbearable to his own conscience. Darting to the open window he just left, he yells to the others inside, then flies over the house to see what he can do to help.

"Danger outside! Lava falling from the sky, and the people out front are sitting ducks!"

Cid stops suddenly...he backflips a few times into the *cough* relative saftey that the middle of the other novas bring looking around...listening for anything out of the ordinary...He stands in a normal fighting stance.

"EVERYONE...Somethings wrong...I feel danger...Please...try to keep quiet a minute..."

Cid frowns at the news from that flying guy.

'Both good and evil gain power in this world...may god have mercy on us for this one. I dont know about you guys...but I am going to help some people out..."

Cid follows after lance, going through the door (opening) and speeding to the croud...he starts to warn the people away and drag them if he can, as he probably isent stron enough to pick them up and move them.

Gabriel stops laughing immediately at the mention of lava falling from the sky. Cold blue fire wreathes his body in a protective sheath, and his feet rise from the ground. Moving very quickly, he zips out of the nearest opening, or lacking such just busts through a window to survey the scene outside.

[Activating FF, Flight, Enhanced Movement, and Qunatum Attunement, malkboy]

((Edited for grammer, continuity))

Martha drops her beer to the floor and clutches her head, temporarily overwhelmed by the sudden wave of sensory input: the smoke, the screams, the barrage of radio chatter. For a moment, she feels like she's going to throw up, but she pushes the nausea down and wraps it into a tight little ball in the pit of her stomach.

Sonuvab*tch! The sh*t's already starting; Doctor frickin' Doom must be here!

She turns to Virginia and Shirley, the only 'normal' people in the room.

Ladies, you might wanna stay inside; keep away from the windows, and get behind a sofa or somethin'!

Then with startling speed Martha leaps through the nearest window, open or not, flips in the air and lands lightly on her feet, trying to take in all aspects of whatever hell awaits outside.

OC: Sorry, missed this in the flurry....

Bill, wasn't it? Sorry, guess we weren't properly introduced; name's Martha Cross. Is this your wife?

Bill looks up, still looking slightly annoyed.

"Hpmh? Yeah, this is Shirley, love o' my life."

Shirley extends a hand.

Didn't mean to laugh atcha back there, Bill - all this talk is just so damn weird, ya know? No hard feelings, okay? Put it all behind us?

"Yeah, sure..... I'm not annoyed at you..... Just annoyed that someone would do somethin' stoopid, and then when called on it, decide I called it stoopid 'cause they're black......"

Gabriel stares at Eddie for a moment, mouth open, incredulous at what he just said, then bursts into loud, roucous, uncontrolable laughter that goes on and on for several minutes.

::blink

*Welcome to the loony bin...*

Not really getting the joke, Dog still can't help smiling at the outburst.

Before Cid can even gets two steps towards Jimmy, Jimmy's eyes bulge out and he flings himself off the wall ripping the sections of wall where he was stuck clean off.

"HEY!!! That's my wall!!"

Dog moves to stop Jimmy as he speeds across the room, but stops halfway seeing that he's already long gone.

"Danger outside! Lava falling from the sky, and the people out front are sitting ducks!"

*WTF?*

Dog strides to purposefully towards the door, pushing any obstacles out of the way to get to the porch. Once outside he scans the area in front of the house as well as the skies above, wondering what the hell is going on.

Andric stepped to the buffet and was putting down his plate, as the trouble started outside. He seemed not to be surprised by this event.

'Both good and evil gain power in this world...may god have mercy on us for this one.‘

True words. Black and white. Good and evil. Nothing was to go without it’s opposite. And these fellows seemed to be the good. Or white?

Andric thought about the situation. A party of superwomen and supermen was to walk outside and crash the bad one or boys’n girls.

His eye fell on the two humans. It seemed to be sure, that no one could stand against the power of the good. The lava could be only some kind of gamesmanship.

Slowly he stepped to a window. Someone should stay in here, to protect the humans. Should be him. Yeah, that’s right.

Viewing the mass exodus, Bill moves over to Shirley, and takes her hand.

"Looks like somethin's going down, babe. If there's fire falling from the sky, there's no point runnin' til we know where it's gonna land.

"So I guess I'll just bid my time here with you for the time bein', then we'll see what's what..."

Shirley looks worried.

Earlier: Noon on a weekday:

As he listens to unfriendly fists pound on the front door Matt carefully puts both feet into the bath tub and picks up a hair dryer.

Matt ponders for a moment, *It's a pity I don't have any more Coke so I could go out with a bang.* and then he turns on the dryer and drops it into the bathtub. When it hits the water he and the entire apartment building is enveloped with electrical sparks.

After 4 minutes the sparks die down and Matt is gone.

Over the next hour the building burns to the ground.

[Ok - this is presuming that it's not raining fire from the heavens or anything yet... ::confused ]

He walks to the front door bruskly moving past Michael as he leaves.

Michael steps to one side to allow the angry boxer past. Turning back to the crowd & waving ::smiley5 , he calls,

"Told you I'd get them to come out & talk..." ::sly

Without bothering to halt his momentum, the hapless Jimmy bursts into a run towards to closest exit. His speed incredible, the once-pudgy cubicle jockey floats into the air and zips through an open window to the backyard!

Michael takes a couple of steps back, a look of surprise on his face, & wraps his wings in front of him with an instinctive gesture of defense,

"... but I didn't think it'd be that quickly!" ::blink

Cid follows after lance, going through the door (opening) and speeding to the crowd...

Michael peers past his wings,

"What the?.." ::confused

Cold blue fire wreathes his body in a protective sheath, and his feet rise from the ground. Moving very quickly, he zips out of the nearest opening, or lacking such just busts through a window to survey the scene outside.

Warlock folds his wings behind his back again, standing up straight,

"Ohhh - kaaay..." ::nervous

Then with startling speed Martha leaps through the nearest window, open or not, flips in the air and lands lightly on her feet, trying to take in all aspects of whatever hell awaits outside.

Mike again crouches & covers himself with his wings as broken glass sprays everywhere,

"Bloody Hell!" ::shocked

Eddie, with a quick concerned look at Virginia, runs out after the others, taking to the air once he gets outside. A smoky film follows behind his path of flight.

Again straightening, & brushing himself down, Michael looks around - by now totally confused,

"Am I missing something here?.." ::lookaround

Dog strides to purposefully towards the door, pushing any obstacles out of the way to get to the porch. Once outside he scans the area in front of the house as well as the skies above, wondering what the hell is going on.

Trying to grasp at what seems to be a straw of sanity, the winged man steps towards the boxer & offers his hand,

"Ah, 'Diamond' I take it, I..." ::smile

David, seeming unsurprised by the revelation, calmly walks outside (apparently not activating any super-powers) to take stock of the situation.

Glancing at David, Mike's hand just drops to his side, as his 'weird-sh!t-o-meter' goes past overload,

"Okay - what the Hell's going on? Did someone fart in there or something?" ::angry

Los Angeles, California - April 11, 1998

[Out Side Dawg's Mansion]

In the distance another figure becomes visible. Clumsily flying along, he is apparently "riding" a lightning bolt.

(If allowed to land) Matt steps off near the door with his back to the crowds and cameras. Just at a glance you would guess that he hasn't had a "good" last couple of days. His clothes look (and smell) like they haven't been changed in the last couple of days, they are also covered in small burn marks, although the more discerning among you might figure out that those are electrical burns. Matt is unshaven, looks very hungry, and he probably has a head ache. He looks and smells like he hasn't bathed in the last couple of days.

"Uh, Hi? Is this the place? I'm Matt. Say, do you have any food?"

Glancing at David, Mike's hand just drops to his side, as his 'weird-sh!t-o-meter' goes past overload,

"Okay - what the Hell's going on? Did someone fart in there or something?" 

David looks over and takes a double-take, seeing the demonic looking figure, then figures this is probably the one place that he fits in...

"Somebody said something about lava falling from the sky. I'm afraid the others are reacting little hastily myself... By the way, I'm David," he extends his hand, seeming less worried about hurrying outside than the others.

(Inside the Mansion)

With Jimmy’s warning suddenly everyone seems to jump into action, only David really giving thought to Michael’s entrance. As people hustle outside, it becomes more than obvious that Dawg will be in need of a home repair crew and an interior decorator when this meeting is completed.

(Outside the Mansion)

As the exodus begins, people are running about in a panic away from Dawg’s mansion, even though unless the sky is investigated nothing seems wrong. The smells of sulpher fills the air, the green blades of grass quickly brown and then turn black as what looks to be a flaming rock hits the lawn. Splattering across making small pools, the lava sets fire to anything it touches including a video camera from a thrill seeker, who Jimmy (forgetting about his own safety) barrels into just mere microseconds before the archivist is splattered by lava.

Another massive molten rock arcs down at an angle that carves a burning hole in the roof and side of the mansion. It hits the yard, as well, with enough force to scatter it into many pools of slow-moving destruction. A quick scan of the sky reveals just one more massive “drop” of this deadly “rain” that is falling rapidly towards where the majority of the vehicles are parked (which happens to be where most of the crowd is ::blink )

"Okay - what the Hell's going on? Did someone fart in there or something?" 

David looks over and takes a double-take, seeing the demonic looking figure, then figures this is probably the one place that he fits in...

"Somebody said something about lava falling from the sky. I'm afraid the others are reacting little hastily myself... By the way, I'm David," he extends his hand, seeming less worried about hurrying outside than the others.

Another massive molten rock arcs down at an angle that carves a burning hole in the roof and side of the mansion. It hits the yard, as well, with enough force to scatter it into many pools of slow-moving destruction. A quick scan of the sky reveals just one more massive “drop” of this deadly “rain” that is falling rapidly towards where the majority of the vehicles are parked (which happens to be where most of the crowd is  )

[if they hang around while this is happening]

"What the...Help them!" points at the crowd [using Voice on Michael since he looks meanest and most helpful]

[if they are doing something]

"What the...Marie? Where are you?" Lance runs towards the crowd trying to find Marie while keeping an eye on whatever's falling...

[considering his lack of novox speed I doubt he gets there in time to do anything. No pricks needed, this is not his forte...]

(Outside the Mansion)

As the exodus begins, people are running about in a panic away from Dawg’s mansion, even though unless the sky is investigated nothing seems wrong.
??? Matt says, “What is going on?” and follows the crowd.
  The smells of sulpher fills the air, the green blades of grass quickly brown and then turn black as what looks to be a flaming rock hits the lawn.  ... A quick scan of the sky reveals just one more massive “drop” of this deadly “rain” that is falling rapidly towards where the majority of the vehicles are parked (which happens to be where most of the crowd is  ::blink )
“Oh”.

Acting on instinct, Matt tries to reach out with his power and alter the ground into a wall between the crowd (and himself) and the incoming problem.

As people hustle outside, it becomes more than obvious that Dawg will be in need of a home repair crew and an interior decorator when this meeting is completed.

"HEY! That's my house you're wrecking, you bastards!", Dog yells as he sees various pieces of doors, windows and walls burst outwards.

The smells of sulpher fills the air, the green blades of grass quickly brown and then turn black as what looks to be a flaming rock hits the lawn.

::blink "What the hell is happening here?"

Splattering across making small pools, the lava sets fire to anything it touches[...]

Absolutely shocked by the destruction that's raining down on his property, Dog stands blinking in astonishment. ::blink

Another massive molten rock arcs down at an angle that carves a burning hole in the roof and side of the mansion.  It hits the yard, as well, with enough force to scatter it into many pools of slow-moving destruction.

"I said, that's my god damn house..." ::angry

A quick scan of the sky reveals just one more massive “drop” of this deadly “rain” that is falling rapidly towards where the majority of the vehicles are parked (which happens to be where most of the crowd is  ::blink )

There could be a crowd full of kids, nuns and puppies out there now and Dog wouldn't give a damn. Running out on the still undamaged part of his lawn he scans the skies for any sign of the stupid motherf*cker who just signed his own death warrant. ::devil

Splattering across making small pools, the lava sets fire to anything it touches including a video camera from a thrill seeker, who Jimmy (forgetting about his own safety) barrels into just mere microseconds before the archivist is splattered by lava.

"Ohcrapohcrapohcrapohcrapohcrap....." Jimmy can't help but wonder if he really is insane as he flies over burning pockets of lava to carry the onlooker to a safer point. Unceremoniously dumping the man on the ground, Jimmy yells out, "Sorry, no time to chat!" , then turns around to see what else he can do.

Staring at the chaos in front of him, Jimmy gauges the lava boulders path to the cars and people. "Get it together, Jim...okay. The cars are full of gas, that's bad. Can't move enough people or cars away in time, unless...aw, hell. Superman always did it, I can try.

Flying as quickly as possible to the crowd, Jimmy zips around them in a circle, flying low to the ground and scribing a deep furrow into the earth with his badger-clawed hands. Circle complete, he lands, and burrows diagonally into the ground below the circle he just made, dirt flying out behind him. Hoping to God it works, he hollows out an area to crouch in, then pushes up with everything he's got!

Another massive molten rock arcs down at an angle that carves a burning hole in the roof and side of the mansion.

(Presuming this is out of line-of-sight)

Bill looks up, worried, when the whole building shakes. ::blink

"I dunno 'bout you folks, but sure as hell didn't sound healthy t'me." ::blink

"Why don't we all take a nice, calm stroll outside and take a looksee?"

Seeing that the sky is raining hot death, Martha scans the scene, noting where the people and vehicles are, and the path the last molten glob is taking. She heads straight for the largest clump of vehicles at high speed, her black cowboy boots blurring beneath her.

Flying as quickly as possible to the crowd, Jimmy zips around them in a circle, flying low to the ground and scribing a deep furrow into the earth with his badger-clawed hands. Circle complete, he lands, and burrows diagonally into the ground below the circle he just made, dirt flying out behind him. Hoping to God it works, he hollows out an area to crouch in, then pushes up with everything he's got!

She stops suddenly when she sees Jimmy, her boots gouging deep furrows in the grass.

What the hell is that boy doing?

When she thinks she understands what his plan is, she bolts to his location and pops her head in, a goofy grin on her face.

Hey, Badger Boy - need a lift?

She squirms down next to him to help him push.

Malk: Martha spends four QP on Lifter, if Node and Quantum score allow that much in one action (still don't have my books ::crazy)

Andric observed the chaos outside and in the mansion. He crossed the hands on his back and watched the others getting into action.

But when the roof was hit, his eyes filled with darkness. Grey shades scampered around him. Not far from him the lava hits a hole in the building. Chips of what was once a part of dogs house were thrown around. Andric just turned his face to the side, as the shower of chips reached him.

Jimmy quickly sees what’s occurring and starts frantically on his idea. Turning and staring at the incoming disaster, Matt holds both of his hands together palms out making a double "stop" gesture. As a few wayward sparks form between his fingers he grimaces in pain. Then the ground rises up and mimics his hand motion on a larger scale. The ground's "hands" are 3 meters high, less than a meter thick, and made of a mixture of clay, dirt, and stone. Matt moves his hands apart and sideways miming a wall, and the ground's hands do the same leaving an actual 15 meter curved wall behind

Lance tells the half demon/half man to go out and help the people (which Michael feels strongly compelled to do), then dashes outside looking for someone himself. Just as Martha gets to Jimmy just as the molten rock touches the earth forming the loop, instead of breaking into thousands of pieces it rolls with the curve of the wall superheating it and taking the wall down with it. The lava and rolls around the loop and settles onto a part of Dawg’s lawn, even as Dawg looks upwards into the sky swearing at the top of his lungs.

Gabriel disappears quickly into the sky, heading deeper into Los Angeles without saying another word. Cid and the others who so quickly rushed into action find that there’s not much to do now other than keep people out of way of the slow moving lava and possibly report to the fire department that Dawg’s house is aflame.

"I dunno 'bout you folks, but sure as hell didn't sound healthy t'me." 

"Why don't we all take a nice, calm stroll outside and take a looksee?"

Everyone remaining in the mansion gets the general feeling this would be a fairly good idea and starts calmly exiting to the front. Reporters, who still are able, start rushing towards Matt shouting towards him to ask for a "private" interview. Most of the crowd disappates, not willing to risk more lava falling on their heads.

Eddie, taking in the situation, loops back to the house and shouts, "Everybody out! This place'll be burnt to the ground in a bit!"

Then he zips straight up, heading after Gabriel to see what's up, inwardly exulting in the joy of flight even as he worries for the safety of all those present. Well, maybe not all...

[i'd just like to add...which Michael feels compelled to do...for the moment. The voice only affects stuff that take one turn to do..so if there's nothing he can do right this instant it doesn't work...(just reread the rules)

Lance looks confused for instant and stumbles before getting back up and screaming desperately

"Marie?! ...Marie?!"

Archived