Aberrant RPG - Mega-Attributes - Thoughts?

Kirby1024

I've been doing some thinking about Mega-Attributes and whatnot. These are some conclusion that arose from that thinking. Feel free to discuss and debate, and add your own feelings.

• Many people state that when expanded rules for Mega-Intelligence comes out, WW will need to be careful to balance the power. I ask, why? The way I see it, the non-physical Mega-Atts, and Mega-Intelligence in particular, should be massively powerful. Mega-Appearance people should have people fawning over them, same with Mega-Charisma. Mega-Perceptive characters should be able to sense things long before they become problems. Mega-Intelligent people should be able to figure a satisfactory way out of every situation. These are supposed to be Human Attributes to the nth, they should be far more powerful that Mega-Physicals. Humans didn't get to where they are just be whacking everyone they saw, now, did they?
  • Oh, and another question, why the hell are all the canon hyperintelligent novas showing people their intelligence? It occurs to me that one of the most intelligent things an intelligent person can do is hide the true extent of his/her intelligence. I mean, it's not like it's difficult to hide, just use normal words and don't get caught solving the Grand Unification Theory...
  • I believe it's been said often here that Mega-Social Attributes tend to be the most difficult to play out. Has anyone attempted this anyway? I have difficulty imagining someone at Mega-Appearance 1, let alone M-App 4! The same with Mega-Charisma. That sort of super-interaction is just very, very difficult for me to imagine in my head. What, so everyone you meet really, really likes you? Why? It's just something that really bugs me a lot. Frankly, the Mega-Att books are seriously needed, especially Cult of Personality. There just isn't enough real examples of Mega-Social abilities (with the exception of Mega-Manipulation). I'd like to have some so I can imagine them!

I'll stop the rant now. Please discuss!

Hey Kirb, some interesting thoughts and questions. Can't say I have an answer for all of them but That last one I have personal experience with.

Jordan has M-Charisma, M-Manipulation and M-Appearance all of 1. It's not easy to play him sometimes but I try to keep the character in a state of mental and emotional evolution.

Some of the things I try to keep in mind is the difference in raw ability verus talent. Jordan has M-Charisma of 1 which makes him naturally likeable. People are unusually drawn to him and even if they dissagree with him, they still respect him (at least when he is in their presence). His dice pool for Charismatic actions is only 3 including the M-Cha. I interpret this to mean that Jordan is unpracticed at influencing people. He has the raw superhuman talent just not the experience at using it.

Also take into account the enhancements a character has regarding the individual Mega Stat. Jordan has the Seductive enhancement for his M-Charisma so naturally people will consider him to be sexy (in a non-physical way) even if he is not that particular person's "type."

Well thats a start, I hope it helps.

-Nick.

I have actually had a player make a character with the absolutely obscene Mega-Intelligence level of 10 in the past. The character was, as I belive such a character must unavoidably be, a "sphinx", as is defined in the WW supplement. This person was possesed of this ability and level 5 Mega-Perception, but little else. He ws sufficiently intelligent to almost unerringly predict future events in impressive detail, and was able to make ludicrous advances in science for his own gain. Such gain was for his own personal exploration, and little else, as he saw little value in monetary gain and was, at this point, almost completely detached from humanity as a whole. I honestly wouldnt advise this level of intelligence , as this character makes a level 5 Mega-intelligent Nova look like a half-assed, slow witted, greatly more impaired version of a Rainman that had been fed a steady diet of paint chips and animal feces throughout the course of his life. It takes an ST skilled in my particular practice of twinkiness to run a story with a similar character without the game becoming unbalanced.

[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: Quantum Promise ]

Well Mister Rossi, I have to admit I've always liked how you presented Jordan's charisma and appearence. It seemed understated, yet still undeniabley present.

Now, I am hesitant at seeing either MegaManipulation or MegaCharisma amped up too much. I find it all to common for people to treat MegaCharisma or MegaManip as simple low cost replacements for Dominate and that doesn't strike me as quite kosher. MegaSocials take time and the proper environment with which to work. Yes, in a quiet dinner setting, I am suspecting that some cad with a couple of dots of MegaCharisma and a dot or two of MegaManip could probably charm the pants off of even the most reticent young lady and leave her wondering why she did all of those horrible things. But it would take a little time. He isn't going to be able to start giving orders in the middle of a firefight and get the enemy to drop their guns with a smile and a quick line.

I do agree that MegaInt has been given very short shrift, especially when you consider the very poorly written Gadget rules. I don't think that I have ever seen a good enough example of them at work to really understand them (anyone willing to show me of them in use that explains each step would be showered with praise.)

Don't hold your breath for Cult of Personality though. I strongly doubt that we will ever see another Aberrant book.

But there's the thing: Jordan's portrayal of M-Charisma you could really be considered within the realms of baseline interaction. By my ideas of what Mega-Atts should represent, That's really underpowered for what M-Cha could do. I see M-Atts as "far above that which normal humanity could aspire to. While there is nothing wrong with how Jordan portrays his Charisma, certainly, to me it just seems... off somehow.

To a person who hasn't ever been a very social person, I always felt that M-Social Traits should be more than just inexplicable attraction. James may feel that M-Socials just seem to be a low-level Domination to many people, that does make a modicum of sense. I mean, some people have the knack of getting people to do what they want (M-Manipulation), others need outside help (Domination). Same effect, different roads to get there.

Although, M-Manipulation wasn't the problem M-Att to me. There are examples of that in media and literature (Les Liasons Dangereuses's Marquis of Merteuil would be an excellent example of low-level Mega-Manipulation, as would Hannibal Lecter of Silence of the Lambs). Mega-Charisma, on the other hand, has no real character in Media or Literature that exemplifies it.

I may change my tune of Mega-Appearance, however. I've been thinking of how Adventure!'s Appearance scale works (ie it shows how memorable you are, not necessarily how attractive you are). Taken in that context, you could consider Mega-Appearance to merely exemplify someone who almost has an aura of "memorable". People seem to sense the nova almost before she comes into sight, she's perpetually the center of attention no matter where she goes merely because of her appearance, and even when she leaves, people just can't get the look of her out of her head. Now, I personally feel that would be an excellent way of portraying Mega-Appearance. It's not like it would be ultra-powerful, but she always makes an impact no matter where she goes. She really does stop traffic...

• 2 weeks later...

Playing with Mega-Atts is difficult. As you progress with the Mega-Mentals, you become truly more detached from humanity.

I espouse again the check out line analogy. Multiply your frustration by every level of Mega-Int and Mega-Wits. Everyone else is just ssssssoooooo sssslllloooowwwwwww... Mega-Int makes you the college freshmen wunderkin in a class full of first graders and it just gets worse.

Mega-Wits is the social understanding stat. Look at it. You start sizing folks up as they approach you, figuring out what they want and how much time it will take you to get them to go away.

Mega-Socials are a problem. Primarily, were does one end and the next pick up? Mega-App is being memorable, but so is Mega-Char, right? Both Cha and Man. can be used sway people's opinions. All three can scare the shit out of people or make them love you.

Two last things: First, Mega-Int doesn't quickly solve all your problems, that's Mega-Wits. Mega-Int solves any problem given time.

Also, we did infact come alot of the way to were we are today due to physical prowess and ability. We have many physical adaptations that, married with our expanded intellects, made mankind the dominant species on earth, at this time.

Don't think so? Why then did have we almost doubled in size over the past three million years? We may have less muscle mass than the primates, but we are far stronger, more dexterous, and more durable (we live in more climates now than any previous species of man) than our ancestors.

Archived