Aberrant RPG - Second Gen Aberrants thought

Kane Knight

This is just a thought I wanted to throw out and get some opinions on.

It's been hinted at via peoples from WW that Second Gen Novas are more resistant to Taint. whether or not this has been stated in book I do not know.

Anyhow, Second Gen Aberrants from Trinity become more Tainted. slight difference.

Any thoughts on how these two types could both exist? I'm really hoping to tie me Abbie chronicle to Trinity...

------------------

The Eleventh Wonder of the World.

Hype, Sacrelige, Uniforms...

Kraig has said that the aberrants in the Trinity timeline aren't really second generation, but rather are sub-aberrants created by The Colony. Confused? So am I. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Super Slacker (edited 10-10-2000).]

The only Aberrant that is really known to be in control is the colony, so most of the Aberrants that have been involved with attacking earth are believed to be at least associated with him/her.

In Luna Rising it states the following, "These are third-generation Aberrants - offspring warped by taint," as well as, "The time they spent among the stars altered the Aberrants and their offspring dramatically."

I think some event, perhaps caused by the colony, has caused a further degenerating effect upon the Aberrants. Just look at what Sin-Eater can do only 4 years after erupting. Whatever happened probably between 50 and 80 years in Aberrants future, so the power levels should have significantly increased.

In contrast to that, everything on Eden fits the mold of the aberrants in Aberrant

There are three generations of abberants as far as I am aware. The first and second generation were born on earth. The third in the stars, the third are a lot weaker than the first and second and are more warped and stifled by taint. There are also sub abberants; these are created by injecting taint into normal humans, this is a power only known to be possessed by the Colony, Yog Death and kali so far. As far as I know much of the Martian population was transformed in this way a few years ago when the colony attacked. There is also another aberrant with a similar power in the ocean near Australia, he injects taint into giant squid! (Call of Chuthulu anyone?)

Don't forget that some of the first generation Aberrants are still alive, see Steller Frontiers sourcebook. I have heard mutterings that there is a Trinity release for Aberrants comming out soon - can we say instant best seller anyone?

That's along the lines of what I'd read. Well, save for the Third Gen bit, which is in a book I have not yet purchased.

I think a Trinity book on Aberrants would be a good idea, but I don't think that it's very likely to happen any time soon, given the current (Lack of) State Trinity is in.

However, a similar book tying Aberrant to Trinity would be a cool thing, and perhaps a possible Aberrant book instead.

Thanks for the info, by the way, I was confused as Hell. Now I have some info to work with...

------------------

The Eleventh Wonder of the World.

Hype, Sacrelige, Uniforms...

• 2 months later...

Hmmmm. The only thing that I can think of is that it's a well-known FACT that Kraig B. and the Trinity developer do NOT agree on how Aberrant bleeds into Trinity. There have been several well-documented discrepancies. My advice, Kane? Take any and all ideas that you hear in regards to this topic lightly. At any moment, Kraig or the Trinity guy may do a complete 180 on it all.

------------------

"When did HE become a nova? Natural Agitator? No sh!t, dude!"

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'll vote for the a book covering 2nd and 3rd gen novas. It would be nice to see rules for constructing such. My understanding from the Aberrant side was that 2nd gen were much less suspetible to Taint. I haven't read much of Trinity, so I'm not sure. Perhaps with Kraig stepping down as designer for Aberrant, it will be easier to integrate the 2 games. If there is nolonger a battle of egos between 2 different designers, maybe they'll finally iron-out the problems and discrepancies.

My one comment on the Trinity view of Aberrants is to note that the Orders generally have a very racist opinion of all aberrants. That view combined with Aeon's history of disinformation may well explain the difference in beliefs about 2nd and 3rd gen abilities. Anyway, i plan to play it that 2nd gens are less Taint suseptible, and less likely to get abberations. No aberrations until 5 Perm Taint, No Taint until 6 quant, etc. I'm playing around with the idea of letting them be born with powers, but so far it's only under extraordinary circumstances. Is there any precedence besides Adam & Eva for newborn novas?

------------------

Reality is a crutch for

those who lack imagination.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm. Having all of the Trinity stuff currently available I have to say the evidence is that the 2nd and 3rd generation are way past minor abberations, most have taint 6+ and are completely inhuman looking, also they're usually a lot less powerful overall than aberrant era Novas...though that is probably due to the ego battle. (also what fun is it to generate a Psion character and then see him, his starfighter and his entire squadron vaporised by one nova with quantum bolt and the area enhancement?)

Why, Ranger, I would swear that you were implying a vast discrepancy in power levels. One thing of note, though, is 'Taint' is the power stat for aberrants in Trinity. In Aberrant, it is Quantum. You can not put a starting Trinity Psion up against a starting Aberrant character and expect much more than an "ass whoopen". The 'oh, I have a Mega-Stat and you don't, so I win any contested action' really kills the skill game. Aberrants start out with twice the power reserve that psis can possibly have. Mind you, I have used psis in my aberrant game and they have done okay. They lose, if openly confronted, but cause all kinds of headaches with Clairsentiance, Telepathy, Psychomorphs and Vitakinetics. The most interesting aspect comes from aberrant players constantly looking for the nova foe and disregarding that baseline over there. After all, they check for a quantum signature and don't find one. Therefore, he/she is harmless. I primarily use them as agents of the Aeon Society. As a team of 5-8 psis, they can be very effective, just like in Trinity, working together and acting subtly. Yeah, they are tougher than starting Trinity players, but Aeon doesn't throw rookies out to be slaughtered. 9 to 11 dots in disciplines per member (threes and fours with the rare five). I run that Electakinetics is rare, so they don't normally run into one. The same goes for Teleportation and Quantakinetics. Opinions?

• 1 month later...

Oh Jager, you come up with the nastiest ideas. (*takes hat off*) Also a point to note is that Psions in the Aberrant era can have access to multiple power groups becasue they haven't been limited by the Prometheus chambers. Also a Quantakinetic could easily be mistaken for a low power nova.

Does anyone know what Quantakinetics did (or do)? The only one I ever had show up was more annoying than scary (they didn't know what was going on). I had the secretary to the President of Utopia just happening to be able to shut a nova down for a few seconds. More than enough time for either help to arrive or the automated defenses to activate and deal with the situation. Mind you, she was very powerful, very well trained (by Aeon), and had a Psi of 8!!! which meant that she could do it for a few rounds at best (Psi+Quant. Rating vs. Quantum+Node with successes equaling rounds deactivated and costing 3+1/nova effected and being a level 4 Discipline at that).

• 3 weeks later...

The rules for the Chibs (Quantakinetics) are given in the back of the Trinity Players Guide. There are three main areas (like all Psion powers). I can only remember them vaguely:

1 Energy control and manipulation...like a weak version of elemental anima/mastery with limited uses.

2 Body modification...giving yourself extra stats for a time, immunising, armour etc...once again very weak.

3 Matter manipulation...manipulation and perception of matter.

All of these work no better than a level 1-2 power and level 2 is pushing it. Psi and Qunatum can be used to cancel each other and Psions can detect quantum use and the presence of Nova simply. The interesting thing to note is that it is harder for a psion to cancel quantum as its like using a chopsticks to deflect a baseball bat. Remember that the Chibs are not a natural occurance like the Psycomorphs and other Psions but a Doyen experiment and cannot exist until the Trinity timeline and the Doyen Prometheus chambers.

That reminds me of something a geneticist once told me: "Anything man can create, nature has already taken a shot at. All we have to figure out why it failed." What's to say that a pre-destined Teke or Electra- didn't mutate or evolve into a Quantakinetic earlier?

Yeah. Quants are fun to use in the Aberrant setting as they can confuse Novas as to their true nature very easily. Personaly I like the idea of a moderately powerful Telepathic Psycomorph. A single one of these bunnys can wreck havok with a group. Porviding of course that the Novas don't get too near to him/her.

Archived