[OpNet] My Aberration Hobby

Well Menagerie, its not like I know a lot about these things but I'd say you probibly just need practice. How long ago did you erupt and have you gotten any formal training? If the answer is over a year ago and these things are still popping up then I'd say your stuck with it. Unless you haven't gotten any training in quantum control, in which case there is a chance you'll be able to control it.

My aberrations? Came with the turf I'm afraid. You see I've never been the brightest penny in the bunch. I was always a little jealous about those guys in school who went to college on scholorships or got their parents to pay for it. At home we borrowed money from church mice smile so there was no way I was going to get the money to go to college that way.

I didn't really want it anyway. I started work on a building site just after leaving school, my uncle said that in a few years he could get me into his union if I was lucky. I was never very big so I got picked on a lot which made me pretty bitter I can tell you. One evening I was finishing up some stuff on a foundation trying to chalk up some overtime and some of the rich guys from school noticed me as they drove by on their way back from college. Dumb fucks were drunk and started a fight. I guess the work paid off. I got in a few licks before I lost my footing and ended up in the foundation, drowning in 20 feet of concrete. You can guess what happened next.

So my head is splitting and I'm pissed and all I want to do is smash their faces into a pulp. I want them to know what its like to not be able to get a scholorship because you are too stupid. I get out of the foundation to see them running to their car. The fuckers must have freaked when they saw me fall in and were fleeing the "scene of the crime". So I run over there covered in concrete and go postal on their asses. I'm ripping the car doors off and throwing punches and generally not being very nice.

I see the cops about ten seconds later. Turns out two of them were walking by and saw the whole thing. I take a breather and realise that one of these guys arrested me -- no not me, one of the punks here -- for drunk driving about a week ago. My head is spinning with the memories and IQ of six hotheads and I really don't feel well. I looked a Paul, the ringleader of the bunch, he was sitting on his ass where I punched him crying like a five year old and sucking his thumb. I could tell you the rest but I don't want to bore you with the details. Suffice to say the guys never recovered from their "brain drain". Their parents tried to sue me but the memories I took gave me so much blackmil material that they soon dropped the cases.

And that my friends is how I got to be a stoney skinned, super-strong, brain leach. Just proves that the universe has a sense of humour after all.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simply put Gargoyle, I've been doing my best to teach myself...mostly out of indecision as to affiliation. When your node is coarsing through your skull like its on fire you tend to agree to a lot more and/or sign things one might regret later. I erupted 8 or 9 months ago--any training I've recieved is unofficial and poor at best. So perhaps over time I might get this down without an aberation and as you say stop these things from hanging around(talking to the thing looking quizicaly at me as I type this seems amusing enough to write here.)

So what did you do with yourself after you erupted?

I'm curious how everyone fell into their affiliations after they erupted.

-Menagerie

Well, if you have the cash get yourself a private teacher. Utopia have nearly all of them but not all. I hear that there is this guy in Mexico somewhere who can augment a novas control over his own powers, it might be worth a shot.

What did I do after eruption? Joined the military for a while but I always had a problem with authority so that didn't work out. Nowadays I do some contract work for people like Novelty and other Elite outfits but mainly I work on my degree, work a little on administering my college grant program and do a little freelance equalizing on the side. (A guy has to blow of steam somehow.)

Nice story Gargoyle, I've been wondering how you came about your specific abilities.

Hey Menagerie, if you need training, I might be able to help. I can't control powers or do any nova funkiness that way, but I have avery unique perspective on things. I can tech you medatative techniques and self control methods that should help. I can perform a full medical to help you learn just what it is you are doing when you manifest your powers and so on. It's not an instant fix, but I find those types cure tend not to be reliable. This way, your taught to rely on yourself. So how about it?

And just in case your thinking "Whats the catch?", it's simple. Sometime in the future, when and if I need a favor and you can help, you will. That's it, that is the only catch. Interested?

See Adept I'll admit I really do like your offer...I see it no different than a lot of them out there. The catch is, however, the reason I have yet to join any of the scads of recruiters that have come beating on my door. (see other thread)

If you would like to talk to me about what you're proposing, who you are, who you're with (as appropriate), and your interesting outlook on things. Currently I've sort of isolated myself and continued to try to teach myself...obviously dangerous.

I'd love to hear what you have to say. I'm just not too prone to "jumping in bed" with someone I just me...pardon the term.

Please by all means do get back to me, do go on.

-Menagerie

Very wise to be safe Menagerie, sorry if I came on a bit strong. Lets see, who do I represent? No one, I am an indipendent. Yes I have Teregen contacts and sympathies, but I would not classify myself as a member. The only members I have any sort of regular contact with are those here on this forum and the occasional party at the Villa Orzaiz. I also have friends in Project Utopia. Kind of hard not to when you spend a year and a half in one of their training facilities.

My view on things is unique (although no more or less valid than any other) because of the nature of my nova gifts. I know a little bit about everything. Name a topic and I know something about it. I can also tap into the collective unconscious and become an expert at any given topic or skill. Finally, I can relive the past through the senses of those who have experienced the event. That, in a nutshell, is what I do.

What I'm proposing is to help you help yourself. I can teach you meditive and self discipline exercises, which should help you with your control issues. I can help you explore the extent and limitations of you powers in a safe (very safe) environment. I have aquired some property that I was going to turn into a school for the baseline children of novas, but it would serve this purpose just as well.

I can also help you navigate the tricky landscape of nova politics from an outsider's perspective. Believe me Menagerie, there is no way you can exist in this world without making an enemy or two, especially as a nova. You can't be afraid of who your going to piss off, you already have enemies in the the form of every anti-nova organization in existence. Your going to need friends. Yes there will be some guilt by association, but there is no way to avoid it.

If you are still interested let me know.

• 2 years later...

I don't have any myself but some of my group have started to develop abnormalities, one is now lead gray after developing a portal power while another has silver eyes.

I am interested in taint and what causes it, and also why the powerful Novas eg Mal and Pax don't demonstrate taint.

Also I'm aware that this is a old thread but I am interested if any of you have developed new taint since this thread finished and why?

I don't have any aberrations - probably because I don't have many abilities which could be termed true powers other than the passive ability to absorb kinetic force. Most of the energy from my eruption appears to have gone into my physical form rather than into quantum force.

Means I can fit in fairly well when needed.

Aberrations? Most of these novas haven't got a clue yet but you know better, Snake. Evolution in action, baby. We're rewriting the rules as we go.

... and also why the powerful Novas eg Mal and Pax don't demonstrate taint.

Heh. Maybe you missed a yoo-pee press release, M. wink

You got to learn to let go, Momento. That's the secret. Hard as hell to do and even harder to keep doing. But once you can let it all go you become the juice and there is no line where your mind ends and the juice begins. No inside, no outside, just reality. Then you're walking the road into the future instead of wonder what might have been.

Collecting a list of how novas can be different from baselines isn't a bad hobby I suppose. I've seen worse ones.

Well, I am still a relative novice at this whole quantum/taint/evolution thing, but here is what I have learned/believe so far.

Taint, as its most commonly known, isn't a bad thing. The mind's perception of it is what makes it a bad thing, or not.

Face it, we do things that spank reality in the butt. That effects our psyches in different ways. Sometimes we twist/alter our physical form, while other times, the mind itself is altered in some way.

While these changes mimic known baseline abnormalities, they are NOT the same thing. No time on the headshrinker's couch is going to make these "psychoses" go away. No amount of surgery is going to permanently alter vestigial limbs, altered optics, or whatever have you.

Now, you can develop a healthy dose of self-loathing about this, or you can look within yourself and learn to understand and deal with these changes. It's your guess as to which way madness lies.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm not a teragen member. I have met a few, and they have tolerated my presence and my ever-present questions. I have also spent time with some Utopian researchers, who, outside of their constant hope that I would join, were incredibly forthcoming and helpful, as well.

What I do care about is the future of my Race, and the Fate of my planet. I would like to know what's going on, and I am on a journey to find out.

Charr - in my side of the gang, a slip of the tongue is worse than a slip of any other appendage. Any other appendage wink

I'm one of the folks who hands you dates, times, places and faces - old school Bond style. Getting that sort of information requires some smooth talking, and some compromise on language.

Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Preston:
I would like to know what's going on, and I am on a journey to find out.
You're getting closer on taint. Not quite there but... Closer. Always nice to see there's a couple of novas out there not just sitting on their ass and taking what comes.
Quote:
Originally posted by Snake:
Getting that sort of information requires some smooth talking, and some compromise on language.
Information is good. Just don't lose the message in one of those 'compromises'.

Otherwise what's the point?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, seeing as most everybody's contributed to this little thread of taint fetishism, I may as well display my (ahem) aberrations for the crowd. People of a nervous disposition turn away now.

(sounds of unzipping)

Seriously though. Whenever I activate any of my powers I get a ball of glowing blue energy around me. Bit inconvienient when I'm trying to be stealthy, but the direct approach was always my preferred choice.

More worrying is the insane temper that came with eruption. Takes the least thing to set me off, and I tend to retaliate with plasma rather than words. Main reason I stick around on here, easier not to get riled up when the person you're arguing with is on the other side of the world.

Nice, huh?

It still amazes me how many of you really have no clue. Sure, there's a couple that have an inkling and fight it but the rest of you are just zip babes in the quantum woods.

Hmph. Maybe that's why Ashnod wastes her time the way she does. Never figured her for being driven by pity though.

Man, this taint stuff sounds pretty freaking annoying.

I don't know though, I doubt I'd have kneecapped those two Church of Michael Archangel wankers that got in my face when I was in New York two weeks back. Now that I've got a worse temper than the Stone Badass all it takes is a simple "You will rot in Hell for all eternity! Scion of Lucifer!" and people suddenly find their knees fold both ways.

Ah, the wacky fun that is Nova-dom.

Sphere, whenever your temper gets you down, just remember the girl who annihalates ever bit of matter that gets close to her, or the guy who needs living, human flesh to survive.

It could be much, much worse.

BTW, I had better get this out of the way ...

Sphere, you're a little sissy bitch!!!!

... for I have no love of pain. Now, if the need ever comes up for me needing, or wanting, to say it, I already have.

• 1 month later...

I domn't feel so self conscious now after readding this.

Since my aberraytion is obvious it's easy enouhgh to share. I am a a 14 foot talll bipedal griffin. Yes claws wings blah blah. I cannt change back too the waay I usied to be despite the utopia folkks effort to help me. I've also like others heree seemed to develop anger issues. Not to mention pent up frustrations in other wayys. Not to many ladies want to date a monster and after three monthsd it is startting to get to me.

Quote:
Neil Preston:Taint, as its most commonly known, isn't a bad thing. The mind's perception of it is what makes it a bad thing, or not. ... Now, you can develop a healthy dose of self-loathing about this, or you can look within yourself and learn to understand and deal with these changes.
As a baseline I knew a guy who had a hook for a hand. He'd had it crushed on a car part maker and then cut off.

I heard him say much the same thing, how he was "differently abled" than the rest of mankind. For example, he could pick up a hot coal or piece of ham without fear of being burned.

For a way of dealing with what you got, that kind of logic works.

As an excuse for putting your hand in the part maker, it doesn't work.

Remember that before you risk getting more. Not everyone gets a cute color for their eyes or skin. Some of us lose our skin or even our flesh. Fear is a good thing sometimes.

First off, stop referring to yourself as a monster. Monster is a state of mind. You are a nova, nothing more, and nothing less.

Sometimes the quantum genie taps you with its wand, and sometimes it beats you with a stick. On the positive side, you seemed to possess a wide range of talents.

How good is your eyesight?

How strong are you?

How tiring is flight?

How high can you fly?

What are your temperature tolerances?

As for the sexual frustrations party, you would be stunned how many nova fansites exist. Have a friend post a pic of you (with dimensions), and await the responses.

Your temper problem is another matter. I take it that Utopia has informed you that your altered biochemistry has effected your levels of emotional response. If this is the case, drugs and therapy aren't going to help.

How bad is it, as in how many episodes do you have a week, and how long do they last?

Also, could you tell us a little about yourself as a person?

Well yeaah I guess your right. Monster might be to harshg of a word. Most of my famialy thinks it's a blessin anyway. I just wonder how folks like Levithan get througgh life like this.

While I am strong, tough and my feathers and fur tend to blend into their surroundings. My senses are a bit to strong and they tend to bother me some . I still stick out in a crowd. I guess that's just part of the deal. But the pulic tendss to either stampede toward me or away from me.

The doctoors at Utopia told me I have something called. "Base Animal Instinct Response" which I guess means I react more animalistic to certain stimuli. I notice I am spending a lot more time outdoors among other things since I can't fit indoors much. Utopia recommended that I go to one of their more advanced labns somewhere overseas for a more thorough check but I declined.

Mwe as a personn?

My name is Daniel Looking Horse. I am 17 and live in Oglala, South Dakota. I used to go to scchool over the borderr in Nebraska but I droped out after all of this happend. I'm not realy sure what else youd like to know.

(thanks fr the fansite info Ill look into it)

Originally posted by Jager:

[QB] Sphere, whenever your temper gets you down, just remember the girl who annihalates ever bit of matter that gets close to her, or the guy who needs living, human flesh to survive.

It could be much, much worse.

Hey i don't need to eat human flesh all the time, just as long as the blood is still dripping and it's fresh i don't where it comes from....although human does taste like chicken.

Well, as far as the taint goes, Id say it a DAMN FAIR trade for being able to fly and shoot fireballs from my cornhole. So I look like Ive gotten the worst sunburn in the histlry of mankind and look like Im on fire. But you want toalk about endorsement money with all that stuff.... yo, I got rock bands,a nd rappers doing covers of Johnny cash's "Ring of Fire" and want me in it. oh yeah, and the billy Joel song too.....

Why don't you just bring a blacklight so you can inspect things before you sit. Or maybe invent some nanotech cleaner that you can spray on a couch before you sit down. Problem solved.

As for myself I am still cruising the fansites to no avail yet. Not that I haven't got offers but some of the chicks are a little scary even to me.

I think Jason's aberration must be that his foot constantly flys into his mouth.

Evolution doesn't necessarily bestow intelligence. Nova evolution often does, and it certainly bestows the potential for it.

As a counterpoint, however, I might point out that the level of intelligence displayed by guests on an episode of Jerry Springer's talk show does necessarily mean that baselines are that far above other simian life, though at times simian life appears to demonstrate more than the guests.

You have a point there.

It just makes me wonder though. If the intelligence isn't granted to use ones evolutionary gifts with responsibility then should the person even have them?

I mean worst case scenario if a mentally deranged person erupted and their only power was a nuclear detonation at a whim what would stop them from just walking the world blowing it up as they go? Where is the line drawn between reveling in your newfound status and restraining and disciplining yourself for the benefit of yourself and others around you?

I guess I ask because it's hard for me to reign some impulses in and I dislike the idea that I need to take drugs to keep it in check. I don't want to hurt anyone.

Quote:
Totem:It just makes me wonder though. If the intelligence isn't granted to use ones evolutionary gifts with responsibility then should the person even have them?
There is only a passing relationship between intelligence and morality. Adding novas to the equation only raises the stakes.

Quote:
Totem:I mean worst case scenario if a mentally deranged person erupted and their only power was a nuclear detonation at a whim what would stop them from just walking the world blowing it up as they go? Where is the line drawn between reveling in your newfound status and restraining and disciplining yourself for the benefit of yourself and others around you?
Ideally this is where the law, and law enforcement steps in.