Trinity Universe: Holo Lives

knave

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To Clarify

Five chromatics sit on their haunches around a roughly oval, flat piece of obsidian.

So - five in the guardroom.

There were nine nearby of which you have killed five.

The remaining four are heading toward the guardroom in twos (but they are fairly close together anyway).

Two new Chromies are coming up toward the tunnel from a deeper tunnel.

5 + 4 + 2 = ::crazy

I think which group goes for what depends a lot on the likeliness of the chromatics stumbling on dead bodies. If they've already passed them then we may as well go for group "Z" and then ambush the guards from the guard room as they leave and maybe even split up along the corridor...There's no sense in our jumping in a brawl with nine chromies if we're in no immediate danger.

Talvin will use psychometry to try to determine if any group is likely to stumble on the bodies and what the guards leaving the guardroom are going to do.

• 4 weeks later...
I hate to question a nice poetic description, but are Hastings & co. on the hybrid, or did it just buzz them & head back off into space? 

Bugger... so much for poetic descriptions. ::crazy

I was going for a vietnam chopper lift feel. You and Daniel are on the MEL. The door was closed after you took off.

Does Harker have psychometry at 5 as well? Is he seeing in the future or am I just confused?

He is seeing the future - which is hopefully a bit confusing. ::devilangel The way I tend to run clearsentience is that you need Psych 5 to consciously see the future in a vaguely controlled way, but it is always there waiting to pounce on those clears in stressed situations - especially when they're pushing their limits. Having just been badly wounded, having his dislocated arm snapped back into place AND spending a willpower point on Psi plus a rather nice roll all suggested that something a little extraordinary was called for. ::cool

Er.. no. Just that if I were storytelling it myself, I'd resolve running towards the enemy and jumping over the barrier possibly while being fired upon as a single dex+athletics roll. Not a very easy one - which is why I'm blowing some willpower on it - but still one roll. Maybe that's just me. ::confused

Of course, firing a gun at the same time is another thing...

A wave of magnesium-white energy thunders silently down the tunnel engulfing everybody in light…

…and then it is gone…

The tunnels collapse.

So...

did we all just die with willpower to spare, or black out, or break for lunch, or what?

I'm honestly not trying to cliff hanger every post... but people will keep setting off nukes.

Also - in case you were wondering...

I use the heat sensitive option for Legion Tattoos - so they generally only show up when a Legionnaire wants them to.

• 2 weeks later...
“Mr Heidelberg, I believe that Mr Douglas’s condition is such that he will be placed on disability pension and will be unable to continue his duties in service of the Trinity.

Did you mean Mr. Thomas? 'Cause he's the dead team member, unless he was talking about another team?

Er. No. Frederick Heidelberg (brilyn) was part of another team whose job it was to free that group of Teleporters. Angus Douglas was the only other survivor (the crazy scot with the coilgun) but took a head wound on the way out.

Or possibly yes - Frederick is supposed to replace Andrew Thomas.

Heya gang.

2 things.

1) brilyn - perhaps you want to do a file on Frederick similar to the ones on the other team members?

2) Those of you who earnt XP and haven't spent all of it. Please make sure you tell me exactly where you're putting all of it when you do. As in: I got 10Xp, I put 5 into A moving it from 1 to 2 and 5 into B moving it from 1 to 2. Otherwise the record keeping is a bit of a nightmare scenario given my time constraints buggrit buggrit (millennium hand and shrimp) ::tongue

• 3 weeks later...

Was just looking over the personnel files again, and thought they might need a little update. But there's no need to burden the ST with that, if we could just have some basic guidelines to follow...

There are as far as I can see five different words used in describing our skills, obviously roughly corresponding to our characters' dots. Am i right in listing them like this, from bottom to top?

Trained

Qualified

Competent

Strong

Extreme

If I am, or if the right order could be listed, I'll get on with updating Tiger's profile, at least...

First off - apologies for keeping the game on hold for so long. HL will continue, but I want to do it right, and I appreciate that keeping up the momentum is part of that - so sorry basically ::crazy.

The main problem is, as usual, that I'm low on time for good and bad reasons, and because I when I wrote up the overview of the second Chapter I didn't realise quite how many NPC personell files I'd end up having to do. Once I started doing those I was downright attacked by more and more ideas on why these people are making the plays I wanted them to make, as well as new (and obviously even more diabolical ::tongue) paths that opened up. So I basically became tangled in my own web and faced with a wodge of work... but, fear not young readers, Good Shall Prevail! ::biggrin

I'll start again tomorrow ::tongue

Secondly - the question

Trained

Qualified

Competent

Strong

Extreme

Well, it's just a question of the assessor's preference really because these things are not an exact science, but assume the following:

Qualified/Competent - means that they'll hold their own in a fight with a soldier.

Trained - basically means Trained to Kick Ass.

Strong/Excellent - means Damn good. Will usually win against a trained soldier or 2.

Extreme - means run away now.

• 3 weeks later...
The linguist shakes his head, a slight chuckle accompanying his smile. "I've had it for awhile, don't know why you didn't see it in the file."

Oi - try not to get the GM into trouble ::tongue

OK: Lots of questions here, but cluttering the story thread with it will only take time and effort from all of us, so I opted for the simpler solution. Feel free to answer, but I guess Knave, Prof and partially phoenix have the final word on these things...

How deep undercover are we going? Do we enter the country as our covers or as ourselves? With or without illegal equipment? Will we have a safehouse or secure locations were it's possible to store equipment and discuss matters, or will our only form of communication be through encrypted lines?

Different ST's and players approach spy-gaming in different ways, and I though it would be a good idea to have that cleared in advance... If we disagree on the required level of care and secrecy we're bound to end up in a stupid situation sooner or later.

So: Is this Ian Fleming or John le Carre...?

My approach would be something like having a few secure locations scattered around near the summit, having local Aeon set it up with the equipment we need, enter the country on a fake ID and carrying nothing illegal or secretly with Aeon transport, then assume our covers - who should have been in-country for a while - and in mine and phoenix's case report for duty. We should also have at least one backup ID for exit or in case the op goes to hell.

Another thing: As home guard, we'll be placed as newcomers in an existing unit, right?

How deep undercover are we going? Do we enter the country as our covers or as ourselves? With or without illegal equipment? Will we have a safehouse or secure locations were it's possible to store equipment and discuss matters, or will our only form of communication be through encrypted lines?

That's pretty much up to you and your paranoia level. Aeon can get you through customs by finageling various air control computers to make it look like you're a corporate internal fight.

Otherwise you can go through customs control with 'emergency visas' (for those who need them) - which happens quite a bit in business anyway. Option 1) would be slightly quicker, option 2 slightly safer.

Either way 'fake' documents will be provided by assets in the Home Office.

The one potential problem will be psions. Psions in the UK are officially required to carry a tracer card at all times. Failure to carry the card can result in indefinite detention and / or expulsion. Obviously you can't be carrying any cards to the summit, but then only Fred really has visible powers anyway.

Different ST's and players approach spy-gaming in different ways, and I though it would be a good idea to have that cleared in advance... If we disagree on the required level of care and secrecy we're bound to end up in a stupid situation sooner or later.

So: Is this Ian Fleming or John le Carre...?

Trinity has more of a Bondian flavour as a rule IMO, but I prefer le Carre. But don't worry, I realise how easy it is to get into a muddle when all you've got to work with is text - I will say (or have someone else say) something if you start flying up onto the radar with procedures.

My approach would be something like having a few secure locations scattered around near the summit, having local Aeon set it up with the equipment we need, enter the country on a fake ID and carrying nothing illegal or secretly with Aeon transport, then assume our covers - who should have been in-country for a while - and in mine and phoenix's case report for duty. We should also have at least one backup ID for exit or in case the op goes to hell.

There will be at least two safe houses available - and Hastings could have Neptune sort more if you think it'll be a factor. Backup IDs will be arranged. Pick some names. I doing hate that. ::tongue

Another thing: As home guard, we'll be placed as newcomers in an existing unit, right?

Sort of. Basically the deal is that the top of the rank and filers get to come to London and join the Summit Guard for a bit. With a bit of judicious misfiling the assignments can be arranged so that you'll be there with no-one else from your area - and without anyone you've ever been on cases with before - aside from a few assets who will vouch for you if it ever comes to a crunch. Not entirely without risk, but what is.

There will be at least two safe houses available - and Hastings could have Neptune sort more if you think it'll be a factor. Backup IDs will be arranged. Pick some names. I doing hate that.

Question: Taka has Cipher 4, and I think you required that much for entry into the game. What harm would it do if he didn't use an alias, and merely forged papers saying that he's from some suburb of London?

Question: Taka has Cipher 4, and I think you required that much for entry into the game. What harm would it do if he didn't use an alias, and merely forged papers saying that he's from some suburb of London?

Not so much required as made it free.

It is extremely unlikely to be an issue for this mission. If you keep doing it consistently your cipher will start being replaced with status. Assuming you stay alive. ::tongue

Cipher 4 was given, not required.

And if you use your own name you're giving yourself a handicap and potential enemies a head start. They'll know what to look for. And pardon me for saying so, but Taka Rochester isn't exactly a common name... ::tongue

Damn. Knave beat me to it. Bugger.

Archived