Trinity Universe: Holo Lives

knave

Briefing Room 3, Æon Trinity Headquarters, Chicago. Four weeks later

Oswald enters looking harassed, apparently wearing the same rumpled blue suit he wore when last you saw him. He quickly steps up to the podium and clears his throat to quiet the non-existent chatter.

He peers down at the audience:

“Mr Hastings, Mr Sawhney, I understand that both of you have physically recovered fully from your experiences and have once more begun your training regimens.”

“Mr Heidelberg, I believe that Mr Douglas’s condition is such that he will be placed on disability pension and will be unable to continue his duties in service of the Trinity. You have therefore been reassigned to this team to make up for its loss in strength. You may not follow all of what I have to say next, but I have cleared you to access this team’s mission and briefing files, and with those you should be able to make do.”

He pauses for effect.

”Let me begin by commending all of you on your successful missions and by saying that it is good to see you here; very good indeed! There were fatalities, yes, but I have read your reports and, from what I understand, things could have been a lot worse. I will say that you proved several S&F forecasters very wrong indeed. You knew going into these missions that the risks were very high, but that the reward was justified. I think you’ll find that the reward is greater than any of us could have hoped – released teleporters showed up all over Earth once the psi disruption field over Chrome Prime was destroyed! You helped to free human beings from slavery to alien masters! More than that, interrogation of the chromatic witness has revealed much more of the goals of these luminous gods of theirs. We now have some idea of why they are doing what they are doing and how they are going about it. So, I am happy to inform you that all of you have been nominated and accepted for the Mercer Medal of Personal Sacrifice, to be awarded one week from today, and to remain on display in Proteus’s secure chambers.”

“Now, to the matters that I’m sure that all of you are interested in. Some time ago, one of the Proxies came forward and informed us of the existence of these aliens, whom he or she called the Doyen, and the potential risk they pose to all humanity. Up until now the direct actions of the Doyen have been few and far between, and certainly on a small scale. The Chromatic war changes all of that. We now know that the Chromatic gods – those who urged them into this war and who provided them with the know-how to fight it – were Doyen.

Our information has led us to the conclusion that this race of beings exists more deeply in the ‘stream of psi energy’ than anything we’re used to, and that they are fragile to anything that can disrupt that flow – the most obvious of these disrupting influences being aberrants. Previously we have had isolated reports of Doyen helping humans against aberrants, but now it appears that the Doyen are not of one mind and that some of them, perhaps even most of them, would rather see humanity dead rather than face the risk of more aberrants rising from amongst us.”

“What we know is that the Doyen do not work directly if they can help it, but prefer to work through agents. We know that they are capable of taking telepathic control of Chromatics, and presumably also of humans if some of the reports I’ve read are to be believed. They do not seem to work in groups of more than three at a time. We know that they will happily pillage human technology, but that they have more advanced biotechnology of their own should they need to use it. We know they understand and seek to influence those in positions of power – especially when those positions of power do not come with added scrutiny. In short, we know that we need to know more about these aliens. To that end, and seeing that you all already know too much, as it were, I have been authorised to make this Ops team permanent with the job of ferreting out these Doyen wherever they are to be found. Any objections can be made to me in my office at an appropriate time. For now, please enjoy two weeks of leave.”

“Thank you”

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taka is early to the hearing, dressed sharply in his Trinity uniform. When Hastings and Daniel show up, he walks over to them and greets them with a bow.

"Welcome back! I read the briefing on the events after we split. Excellent work, the both of you."

Some estranged cousin of an ironic grin comes over the tall warrior's face.

"If I had known your plan would allow so many of the captive Upeo to escape, we probably would have gone with you instead of bothering to fight our way into the mountain."

He also greets the others as they arrive, welcoming Mr. Heidelberg to the team as well.

To that end, and seeing that you all already know too much, as it were, I have been authorised to make this Ops team permanent with the job of ferreting out these Doyen wherever they are to be found. Any objections can be made to me in my office at an appropriate time. For now, please enjoy two weeks of leave.”

Taka shows some puzzlement at Oswald's abruptness.

"Sir, could you please elaborate further on how we are meant to be able to find these Doyen?"

"Sir, could you please elaborate further on how we are meant to be able to find these Doyen?"

Taka has the impression that, had Oswald not had his eyes corrected like virtually everyone else in this age, he would be glaring down over the top of a set of shiny wire spectacles instead of just raising an eyebrow:

"Special Agent Rochester, there is no need at present. InSurv and both DA offices are on the job. If you do feel that you need to help then I suggest that, in addition to finding a decent councillor, you apply your resources to any unusual stories on the OpNet fringe."

"Ah... that reminds me: speaking of DA-Space, they are becoming rather more keen on getting a good look at those tablets of yours Agent Harker. They are quite eager to assist you, you know."

"Ah... that reminds me: speaking of DA-Space, they are becoming rather more keen on getting a good look at those tablets of yours Agent Harker. They are quite eager to assist you, you know."

Harker, quiet until now, smiles smugly. "I'm sure they are, sir. I assure you, they will have a chance to review the information on the tablets."

"Special Agent Rochester, there is no need at present. InSurv and both DA offices are on the job. If you do feel that you need to help then I suggest that, in addition to finding a decent councillor, you apply your resources to any unusual stories on the OpNet fringe."

"Yes sir."

Taka seems unbothered by the sarcasm in the answer.

Taka is early to the hearing, dressed sharply in his Trinity uniform.  When Hastings and Daniel show up, he walks over to them and greets them with a bow.

"Welcome back! I read the briefing on the events after we split. Excellent work, the both of you."

Some estranged cousin of an ironic grin comes over the tall warrior's face.

"If I had known your plan would allow so many of the captive Upeo to escape, we probably would have gone with you instead of bothering to fight our way into the mountain."

He also greets the others as they arrive, welcoming Mr. Heidelberg to the team as well.

Taka shows some puzzlement at Oswald's abruptness.

Daniel is dressed in a semi-biotech-looking pants, and a Green shirt with a Proteus Badge over his right breast. He gives a smile, and nod to Taka. "Trust me, it was a harrowing experience none the less. I'm just glad that we've all been given a chance to our communal homeland, and the birthplace of our species."

Daniel "turns" his attention to Oswald, the way he talks is rather strange, since he doesn't always look in the persons general direction when he starts talking. His Clear mindset is clearly coming more into play in this less stressful situation. "Doyen, that sounds like the type of grand murder mystery I've always wanted to hear. A house of secret masters attempting to play the Messengers of God. They sound vaguely transcendant. Do they manifest any other modes besides Telepathy, and I'd assume Clairsentience?"

Hastings is back in a tailored tweed three-piece suit, with his usual round, wire-rimmed, glasses. He sits through Oswald's de-brief, just barely managing to prevent himself from audibly groaning when the prospect of the 'team' being made permanent crops up. When the speech is over the Englishman rises to his feet & heads quickly for the door...

"Welcome back! I read the briefing on the events after we split. Excellent work, the both of you... If I had known your plan would allow so many of the captive Upeo to escape, we probably would have gone with you instead of bothering to fight our way into the mountain."

Hastings pauses to curtly nod (& mentally adds to his list of things that he really needs to talk to Oswald about the question of why Taka is still on active service after his report on the man...), but hastens out of the room as quickly as possible.

Harker, quiet until now, smiles smugly. "I'm sure they are, sir. I assure you, they will have a chance to review the information on the tablets."

"Ah, I'm sure their joy will be immeasurable beyond words."

Daniel "turns" his attention to Oswald, the way he talks is rather strange, since he doesn't always look in the persons general direction when he starts talking.  His Clear mindset is clearly coming more into play in this less stressful situation.  "Doyen, that sounds like the type of grand murder mystery I've always wanted to hear.  A house of secret masters attempting to play the Messengers of God.  They sound vaguely transcendant.  Do they manifest any other modes besides Telepathy, and I'd assume Clairsentience?"

Oswald stops short of the door. "Yes, apparently they have exhibited a variety of 'modes'. ASDB is preparing a file for your return."

Hastings pauses to curtly nod (& mentally adds to his list of things that he really needs to talk to Oswald about the question of why Taka is still on active service after his report on the man...), but hastens out of the room as quickly as possible.

"Mr Hastings, a word in my office if you don't mind."

Encryption: DSE/X10

Clearance Level: Omega and NtK

Triton ASDB Archive Entry: Doyen

The Doyen were first brought to our attention by proxy >>>Hyperlink Classified Omega<<< in 2120.

>>>Paragraph Classified Omega<<<

>>>Hyperlink Classified Omega<<< and >>>Hyperlink Classified Omega<<< are both believed to be under the control of Doyen during their respective misdeeds.

Physical Appearance

The natural state of a Doyen is probably a sunlike sphere of psionic energy of rippling colour with a diameter of a little under two meters.

Psionic Characteristics

Doyen have been reported to use multiple modes from all aptitudes, and all at high to extreme levels of skill. There are currently insufficient reports to pin down where Doyen Psi talents are lacking.

Doyen have shown the ability to 'possess' or infuse themselves into and then take control of other, more physical, sentients. Noteably all those so far 'possessed' have been psionically active.

It is possible and even likely that Psionic backlash or aberrant Taint may even harm these creatures if their physiology is composed primarily of Psion energy.

Technology Level

The Doyen's level of biotechnology is, without a doubt, greater than our current level @2121; however they have displayed no desire to implement this technology beyond that required to restrict and harness the Upeo in the >>>Hyperlink Classified Omega<<<. For their remaining technology requirements the Doyen appear to be happy enough to use past Orgotek designs.

Motives

The motives of the Doyen are currently a mystery and thus an urgent focus for further study. As per proxy >>>Hyperlink Classified Omega<<< the Doyen obviously have/had something to gain by assisting humanity. Given the recent proof of Doyen at the heart of the Chromatic war effort we must assume that the race is divided in its opinion humanity or has changed its opinion of us. For this reason we must classify the Doyen as a grave threat to our species.

We surmise that given the Doyen's physiology that they intend for humans to eradicate our own taint by destroying the aberrants. The Chromatic war was either the result of some of them diciding that allowing humans to exist at all was too big a risk, or perhaps they all decided we are not defeating aberrants fast enough.

M.O.

The Doyen seem to prefer influencing or 'possessing' lynch-pin figures - those in positions of authority, and preferably with little public scrutiny. Individually they use these puppets' influence to great effect against their foes. Doyen appear to abhor personal confrontation.

The Doyen are either enlightened enough that few of them bother to involve themselves in such things or are very few in number; or we would have seen more results of Doyen meddling. Of course, the other possibility is that we have seen the results and have not realised yet.

>>>File Ends<<<

He peers down at the audience:

“Mr Hastings, Mr Sawhney, I understand that both of you have physically recovered fully from your experiences and have once more begun your training regimens.”

Talvin nods, knowing he probably meant Madina.

"Mr Hastings, a word in my office if you don't mind."

As Hastings heads out Talvin approaches him and offers his hand.

"Mr. Hastings, I'm glad that I didn't have to meet your family after all. Welcome back."

With a brief smile Talvin turns and heads out.

A week into Tiger's Holiday

Tiger receives a call from his mom. She sounds excited, but also hurried because she's on a Satellite phone. Apparently Venuzuela's Catholic community is offerring succor in the form of several new (and FREE) housing projects throughout the country. Tiger's dad has also been promised a job in the field of marine conservation! She wants to know what he thinks they should do? As much as they wouldn't want to leave their 'family' on the floating refugee camp everyone is encouraging them to go, and they are getting a bit old after all.

In the middle of this conversation Tiger's minicomp informs him that he should proceed to Proteus HQ for special training.

Chicago: Proteus Headquarters beneath Lake Michigan

Tiger reports to the assigned briefing room with greater and greater misgivings as he finds himself passing through more and more concrete decored training areas.

He finally finds the room. It's dark inside. There is no light switch and no amount of voice activation commands seem to work. He makes out something on the floor. As he steps closer to what appears to be a corpse he senses someone behind him!

Proteus Training Room

In the dark Tiger gets punched, pushed, tripped and flipped by more people than he can count. Fortunately the floor and walls of the room are slightly padded so he's pretty sure they don't actually want to kill him. After about ten minutes the lights come on and he sees that there are actually only two others in the room with him. Both men are wearing dark brown and green camouflage. One looks about forty, is thatched with grey, and looks perfectly dignified. The younger man looks about thirty and has a face that looks like it has experienced close contact with the rear of an LB MEL.

The older man grins down at Tiger on the floor, "It seems someone likes you agent. You've been remanded into our custody for one week for advanced night fighting training. I'm sure that you will enjoy the experience. Do you concur Private Smith?"

"I CONCUR Agent Brown!"

"I just knew you would. NOW GET UP SOLDIER! WHAT DO YOU THINK THIS IS, A SOCIETY DINNER?"

One painfully bruising week follows.

Proteus HQ: briefing room 5

Oswald enters the room, glances up to ensure that everyone is present, and steps behind the mylex podium. He places his black executive mini-comp into the docking slot. There is a brief hum and a large hologram appears next to the podium – a classic depiction of post-Esperenza Europe complete with marked arcologies and blast zones.

”Europe. As you know, it’s been a mess since The War and The Crash and even worse since the Esperenza. Very few countries there are still prosperous by any standards. The exceptions to this rule are the NOE, Poland, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.” The indicated countries are quickly outlined in red on the display. ”Until a year ago the United Kingdom has ensured its prosperity through a policy of strict isolationism. Up until a year ago this man has championed the isolationist cause with his every breath.”

The hologram transforms to the image of a man in a sharp, but dignified, suit that was obviously made by someone who had never heard of Kostbaar. The man appears about fifty with slightly greying hair, slightly protruding ears and a smug expression.

A caption appears next to the image:

>>>file begins<<<

Rt. Hon. Basil Gatwick, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom

Birthplace: London Arcology

Schooling: Eton and Oxford University (BA LLB)

Military Training: 1 year with the 146th Royal Mounted Cavalry Regiment (Hybrid Weapons Operator)

>>>file continues<<<

”A year ago this man was responsible for ‘Operation Footlight’, a raid on various ‘traitors’ in his government who had been supplying French refugees with British Passports. Those men, those traitors, were all executed. Apparently one or more of those executed were old friends of Mr Basil Gatwick’s. For the last year he has apparently been questioning his isolationist standings to the point that now, in one week’s time, the EuroSummit will be held in London itself. As you can imagine this change of policy has caused a great many problems within the ruling Conservative Party.”

The hologram shifts to the image of a tall, overweight, dark-haired man with a weak chin.

>>>file begins<<<

Rt. Hon. Michael Hague, Chancellor of the Exchequer (Finance Minister)

Birthplace: Bournemouth, Dorset, England

Schooling: Eton and Cambridge University (BA LLB)

>>>file continues<<<

”For years this man has been the Prime Minister’s staunchest ally. Now he has become his fiercest opponent – recently accusing him of selling out his people. While this battle does pose something of a coming challenge it isn’t likely to be the biggest facing the EuroSummit.”

The image shifts back to one of Europe with a myriad of broken countries flashing and having linking dots join their capitals with London.

”The Euro Summit is about the reformation of a strong European Union from the fragments of the present European Commonwealth. Ninety percent of the countries currently have nearly nothing to offer, but Gatwick is proposing a way to change that. Gatwick appears to be offering Europe the bounty of Britain’s proposed Beanstalk project known as ‘London Bridge’ in exchange for co-operation with his vision for a ‘New Europe’. He is plans are apparently grand to the point of being foolhardy. They include the restoration of transport and communication links throughout Europe and an efficient transport of each country’s surplus to those who need it most.”

The hologram displays a huge asteroid being moved into geostationary orbit while huge machines are being built upon it. A ship takes off from the asteroid dragging a guide cable. Slowly the ship descends carrying more and more of the cable. Eventually the ship puts down in South East England where it attaches the cable to another immense structure. The guide cable is slowly replaced by an immensely thick structure mined from the asteroid above. The new cable is connected to the structure below. Large cargo and passenger containers begin to ride up and down the cable – daily. A huge spaceport springs up on the asteroid tether.

>>>summary begins<<<

The ‘London Bridge’ beanstalk project

While space elevators are ideally built at equatorial latitudes both because of the geoid shape of the planet and because of the complex vibrational state required to counteract the gravitational effects at higher latitudes, the London Bridge engineers believe that they can overcome any obstacle with the assistance of the expertise of their Nihonjin partners.

>>>summary continues<<<

”Normally this whole ‘United Europe’ idea would be a pipe dream, but the beanstalk project changes that. It could just generate enough revenue to put Europe back on the map. Gatwick obviously realises that in an isolationist state the likes of expansionist Poland and the NOE will do all that they can to foil the beanstalk being built. But, if they have this much to gain they might even help. What Gatwick is giving Europe is something it hasn’t had for a very, very long time. He is giving Europe hope.”

”Trition DA:Earth have determined that Gatwick actually has a small chance of success. DA:Earth also believes that this is the most likely target for anyone wanting to destabilise humanity at large. There may be no Doyen, but I’d be shocked senseless if there were no FSA, UAN, Ministry or Norça agents present. We might all be praying for a miracle here, but the Æon Council wants this summit to work.”

”And speaking of miracles, as part of the EuroSummit, the delegates will be discussing the status quo regarding France, and what actions to take. Several of France’s ‘local leaders’ (by which we can infer Local Warlords) have been invited to put forward their points of view to a subcommittee of ministers from the various countries. Now, another reason why I want you at this summit is that amongst those leaders chosen, one has come forward to lead her faction, The Witnesses of Hagia Tamarika K.”

The image shifts to show Europe once more – showing faith distribution across large portions of France, the Germanies and Spain.

”Tamarika K. is supposedly a woman with naturally occurring psionic abilities. Her image has never before been captured, but her followers claim that she is a Virgin from the village of Domremy in the Lorraine region of North Eastern France. They claim that she heals the sick, brings hope and faith to those who require it, and smites those evil soldiers who felled the Esperenza and shattered France. They claim that she wields fire and lightning and passes unseen where she wills… Understandably security will be very tight. Especially since the Qin have heard that she will be present and have insisted on sending their own delegation from their embassy.”

”Gentlemen, I will be sending you everything I have on the various factions and on our assets in place. Your job is to go there, to stay out of the politicians’ way, to find any Doyen, aberrant cults, weird religions and other saboteurs, to find out the truth about this ‘natural psion’ and to make sure everything works out.”

”For those of you who don’t have religious leanings, I advise you to get some. This one is going to need all the divine wheel greasing we can arrange.”

”One more thing gentlemen, Special Agent Hastings has been promoted to the rank of Lieutenant. Given that and the fact that this is his home country, I suggest that you give him your full co-operation on this mission.”

”Do you have any questions?”

The light evening mists which coated the Highland countryside stirred as a Reed Rosen ‘Brougham’ skimmer glided towards its destination: a small medieval keep overlooking a glen, & the tiny village that nestled within. Twilight was fading to night; lights twinkled to life down in the village, & were answered by illumination from within the impressive stone walls. Soon the moon & stars played across the gently rippling surface of the nearby loch, & the vehicle came to rest before the castle.

Robert Hastings stepped from the Reed Rosen & paused, taking a moment to breathe in the chill Highland air & taste the lingering scent of heather. A genuine smile spread across his face & lit his eyes, & he quickly climbed the stone steps to the iron-bound oaken door of his ancestral home. As he approached the door was swung inwards by an attractive, but stern-looking, blonde woman who appeared to be in her mid-thirties. Still smiling, Robert kissed the woman lightly on the cheek & entered the keep,

Justine, thank you, as always, for looking after the family. I presume there have been no problems?”

The blonde shook her head,

No sir, everything’s fine.”

The Englishman nodded as the usual sense of relief flowed through his soul,

Good, good, now…”

Hastings was cut short by an excited cry,

Papa! Papa, you’re home!”

Instantly Robert spun & gathered up the young café-au-late coloured girl in his arms, spinning her around in a happy hug,

Juliet, my little princess! How good to see you again, & where’s?..”

A small boy, maybe a couple of years younger than his six-year-old sister, ran up to join in the family reunion,

“… Little Robert junior! You’ve grown, lad – you’ll soon be taller than your sister.”

Juliet thumped her father’s chest,

Don’t say that, papa, it’s not fair!”

The Englishman laughed, & gave both children kisses. With both in his arms he started to head towards the carved wooden staircase to the upper floors, walking past the lift that had also been installed,

Now, children, where is your lovely mother?..”

Soon enough the trio reached a door on the upper landing. Robert pushed it open with the toe of his shoe, & entered. Inside was a small office, with its own roaring log fire. Behind the room’s rather cluttered desk sat a beautiful black woman. Looking up from her work she smiled. Hastings dropped the children down to allow them to race over to their mother, their excited voices announcing his return, then headed over himself. Rounding the desk he crouched down next to his wheelchair bound wife & the couple passionately kissed. Eyes not leaving his wife’s the Englishman addressed his children,

Juliet, Junior; if you go down stairs & ask Justine very nicely I think she may be able to find some presents from Luna in my travelling case – your mother & I need to talk…”

As soon as the children had rushed off, their parents exchanged another kiss,

Maria, light of my life – it’s good to be home.”

Maria stroked her slender fingers across her husband’s cheek & along his jaw line,

Robert, my love – it is good to have you back.”

Lifting his wife into his arms, Robert Hastings carried her into their bedroom…

… The following weeks were Robert’s reason for living. Taking the family boating on the loch; eating picnics of cucumber sandwiches, pork pies, & lashings of ginger beer amongst the heather of the glen where it was sheltered from the Highland winds; visiting the village pub with Maria, losing at darts to the locals (who had taken to calling him ‘Laird’, even though the anti-English jokes would never die) & buying drinks for the house, to everyone’s approval – followed by the singing of rousing folk tunes (once everyone was ‘warmed’ enough by the whiskey). Robert & Maria even managed to attend Juliet’s first school play at the village school – which was as terrible as all such efforts, but also as cute. Evenings were spent by a roaring log fire in the sitting room, curled up together on a bearskin rug, sipping brandy. To his surprise, Robert even managed to pop over to Glen Eagles & get in a good eighteen holes!

Mixed in with family life were the inevitable business dealings, although even this was made enjoyable when Robert invited ‘the bean counter’, Harold Beaner, & family over for dinner. The children of the two old school friends played together as the adults enjoyed after dinner conversation &, later, Robert & Harold talked business in Robert’s study. The Tangent Technologies shares had been easy enough to purchase, & the rest of the portfolio was doing well. Maria’s charity work would have plenty of support from the Hastings estate for the foreseeable future.

After two weeks of bliss, the Robert Hastings once again bid a fond farewell to his life & got back into his Reed Rosen. As the vehicle pulled away from the keep & turned south, the smile faded from the Englishman’s face, & the look in his eyes turned cold…

Proteus:

Dressed in a new Saville Row tailored steel-grey suit, & his usual wire-rimmed round glasses, Hastings listens quietly to the briefing.

The Englishman keeps silent for the moment, glancing around to gauge the reactions of the rest of his team.

*It's not the Caribbean, but it's better than solid ground...*

The waves of Lake Michigan crash and break against the hull of the rented speedboat as Tiger Vaughn guides it towards Chicago and the end of his way too short holiday. He'd earned this last weekend off, though. Weeks of courses and practise had turned out to be a bit over the top, and he'd welcomed these few days on his own. But now he was looking forward to diving back in again.

*Face it, Tinto. There's no better job on any world. Thousands of guys your age dream of working for the Trinity, not to mention being a kickass secret agent...*

*Life is good.* ::cool

Speeding towards the harbor - in the law-enforcement sense of the term, of course - the young man grins widely as he closes on the pier. A few minutes later he pulls up by the pier and checks in with the rental agency, then picks up his Tsunami from the agency's garage and heads into town.

Tiger is still dressed for a holiday at sea when he turns up at the briefing, refreshed by a few days in the sun.

Tiger shakes his head silently.

The Englishman keeps silent for the moment, glancing around to gauge the reactions of the rest of his team.

Tiger offers no comment during the briefing, and doesn't seem overly surprised or bothered by Hastings' promotion. He does seem to look forward to the job, though, his face practically lighting up as the briefing promises more and more challenges.

Chicago:

Lesley Canion had been surprised by the untalkative newcomer, but he had quickly recovered, and was not all that impressed.

Admittedly, he had been able to find his martial arts workshop over the uncountable mass of others in Chicago. All modesty aside, this was to his credit. Apart form Canion's peerless reputation (within certain circles) as a teacher of Capoeira, his rooms were located beautifully - its position high in a skyscraper provided a bird's eye view of 22nd century Chicago, which was simply something else - especially at night. But - unlike his clients, who showed up every day, went through the motions of the ancient, deadly art of Capoeira that had suddenly become so fashionable, particularly among those that could afford lessons with a man on Canion's level - few of those who he agreed to see on an equal basis were inclined to pay it much attention. Indeed, some of those Gifted with the ability to truly see did not bother to open their eyes at all.

In that he appreciated the view, before the match began, anyway, this was one way in which the tall man was different. Apart from a certain air that the Oriental bore around him - like a soldier and one of those damn cocky psions combined - this was the only such way.

He was fast, but not that fast - certainly not the fastest Canion had seen, hardly even the fastest he had seen today. And though his reactions were basically sound, there were flaws in the ointment that interfered with his fluidity as a fighter. They danced for a long time, but Lesley was disappointed not to have found a peer, and about halfway through it a spinning kick found its way into the tall man's abdomen. They shook hands - Canion had half expected him to bow - and the man left. It only occurred to him later that he couldn't remember the man's name.

Leaving the building, Taka frowned. Why had he let the man win? It had seemed like a satisfying idea at the time, though he had no idea what he had hoped to gain. Certainly the man's ego was sound enough as it was - and moreover, Taka was not a man prone to impulsive action, as a rule. He had entered the building planning to win a fight, maybe tighten a bolt or two on his technique against a fighting style he wasn't as used to as he would have preferred, and spread his reputation a little.

What had happened in his head between ground floor and floor 84 would be the subject of much meditation over the next two weeks.

Proteus:

Taka shows up at the hearing, early again, and greets the other team-members cordially.

He listens attentively to Oswalds speech, and without comment. He asks no questions at the end.

”One more thing gentlemen, Special Agent Hastings has been promoted to the rank of Lieutenant. Given that and the fact that this is his home country, I suggest that you give him your full co-operation on this mission.”

Taka nods deferentially towards Robert. Though the movement is seamless and quite natural, the Englishman nevertheless feels that the gesture is not insignificant.

• 2 weeks later...

Space, the final frontier:

Quite comfortable in zero-g, Harker floated over to one of the tablets he'd been recently perusing. Safely ensconced in his ship, the Howling Sparrow, the academic thought back over his recent mission. Idly scanning the tablet, he unconciously translated the alien symbols into their true meaning...by this point, it was almost effortless.

In the forefront of his mind, he pondered over the horrible violence necessary to accomplish their task, and the consequences. Irritably, he scratched at his recently broken, but now healing, arm. The rex's had indicated his arm would be fine, good as new, they said, but he couldn't shake his own heightened senses and their magnification of any little problem with it.

Sighing, he kicked his foot against a bulkhead, catapulting gracefully over to another tablet. Upside-down, he brought it closer, peering intently at a particular portion of the stone. His brain clicked into gear, searching, categorizing, and filing any and all pertinent translation data into the separate corners of his mind. Flipping a switch above him, he then spun in place to view the display screen below. In seconds, he nodded to himself, satisfied. His results were complete, and confirmed.

Though there might be something he'd missed, it was unlikely. Not as apt with a firearm as Hastings, or deadly with a knife as Tiger, nor capable of the incredible agility of Taka, in this, Roosevelt Harker was nearly unsurpassed. He'd spent his entire life engrossed in languages and communication, especially in anything extra-terrestrial. A linguist par excellence, he had a gift for such things.

With a final whoop of exultation, he tapped the keypad below, storing backups of his research. Ear-to-ear his smile stretched as he ran through his pre-flight checklist to head back to Luna.

Proteus:

Harker pinches the bridge of his nose, as if struck by a sudden headache. An affectation, probably of frustration.

"I have a question, sir. What identities, or supposed purpose will each of us have to be attending this summit. You said yourself security will be very tight."

"I have a question, sir. What identities, or supposed purpose will each of us have to be attending this summit. You said yourself security will be very tight."

"There are two options there. Our friends over in Neptune have arranged things with the British government to allow Aeon observers to the talks. Neptune would like to have their people in place there, but are prepared to stand aside if any of you choose to fill that role. The problem with this is that although you will be able to speak in the meetings to potentially draw out enemies, you will not be able to carry weapons. The other alternative is to become part of the Home Guard for a while. We have enough influence to get you assigned to Home Guard Protection duties. Obviously this will allow you to be armed, but won't necessarily allow you to participate or even be present in all the discussions where you might be needed. If some or all of you choose this option, we will be relying strongly on the team's Clearsentient talents."

Talking to the room, but turning partly to Hastings, Tiger says

"Personally, I'm equally useful in both positions. I think the clears should be spread out between them, with Roosevelt as an observer." He glances at the linguist. "You and Hastings are too good at the 'gentleman scholar' role to waste as soldiers." ::wink

"Daniel couldn't pass for a soldier if we painted the uniform on him, so I guess we don't have much choice there..."

"Actually, Taka or Talvin don't really fit the soldier bill, either, and you" - he nods to the legionnaire - "are probably the one of us who's least hampered by not having weapons."

"Damn. Looks like I ruled us all out of the Home Guard option..." ::confused

Thinking for a second, he turns back to Oswald.

"You say Neptune will 'stand aside'.", Tiger comments.

"If we go as Aeon observers, are we expected to actually be observers in addition to our other objectives, or will that just be a cover? Will we be working with Neptune, or in stead of them? And if we choose to all go as Aeon representatives," - his voice clearly indicates he doesn't think this is the best plan - "how close can we have weapons in an emergency?"

"You say Neptune will 'stand aside'.", Tiger comments.

"If we go as Aeon observers, are we expected to actually be observers in addition to our other objectives, or will that just be a cover? Will we be working with Neptune, or in stead of them? And if we choose to all go as Aeon representatives," - his voice clearly indicates he doesn't think this is the best plan - "how close can we have weapons in an emergency?"

"If you choose to go as observers then, yes, you may well have to provide some insight into the Trinity's position to those present. Of course, as observers you will be replacing most, if not all, of Lieutenant Ramirez's team. I'm not sure he'll be too happy about that, but I'm sure he'll remain professional about it."

"The format for the Summit has been loosely defined as a combination of full-attendance meetings and regional or task-based subcommittees. If you go as observers you will not necessarily always have Lieutenant Ramirez there for diplomatic backup, so you will have to be well studied on the subject or region under discussion."

"As for how close weapons will be to hand; that is very difficult to say. We have a few assets within the upper echelons of the 'active' ranks of the Home Guard, but compromising them is extemely wasteful. Also, they are only assets, not agents, so they may not co-operate. They will, however, be instructed to assist you if necessary. Weapons are strictly forbidden within the council chambers themselves except in the possession of the home guard and even then, the guards are not permitted past the door of any in progress meeting unless there is an actual incident. On the other hand, guardsmen are able to access the building security systems."

"Well, I think it's obvious we should have people in both positions to cover all eventualities... But I don't know how we should split up."

Tiger goes quiet for a moment, mentally adding to himself:

*But I do know some people I'd prefer to have at a distance...*

Turning back to Hastings he says

"So, Lieutenant: Since covert and clandestine ops like this is your area of expertise, you're local and you're technically in charge... How do we do this?"

Taka nods deferentially towards Robert. Though the movement is seamless and quite natural, the Englishman nevertheless feels that the gesture is not insignificant.

Hastings returns the nod with roughly the same magnitude.

Hastings' brown furrows slightly at both the question & the answer as he wonders why they're not just going in as the Proteus security agents that they, basically, are...

"Personally, I'm equally useful in both positions..."

*And modest with it...* ::rolleyes thinks the Englishman to himself.

"You and Hastings are too good at the 'gentleman scholar' role to waste as soldiers."

*The child is an idiot... Does he honestly think that soldiers are a 'waste', or that any of us will be acting as 'soldiers' on a mission like this one?.. Maybe it's a mistake to keep him on the team...*

"how close can we have weapons in an emergency?"

*It gets worse - first the 'scout' can't operate in the dark, now he can't fight without weapons? It's not like combat is going to be the issue - the problem is finding who is going to try to do what - not if we have the firepower to kill every last person in the room or not...* ::sly

"So, Lieutenant: Since covert and clandestine ops like this is your area of expertise, you're local and you're technically in charge... How do we do this?"

Hastings raises an eyebrow at the youngster's comments,

"What other sort of 'in charge' did you have in mind - besides the technical? If you have a problem with following my orders then I'm more than happy to sign any request for a transfer out of the unit you may have."

[Presuming the kid doesn't want a transfer (if he does, then Hastings will sign the appropriate documents on the spot then wait until he's left before continuing)...]

"As for how we go about successfully completing this mission, the first step is always to actually listen to what we've been asked to do. One - we stay out of the way of the politicians: which we can hardly do if we volunteer to be on the same committees as them; two - we locate & prevent any threats to the success of the conference: that means we're there to gather intelligence - a telepath on the team would be nice in that regard, but I'm sure our clairsentient members will do their best to give us fair warning of specific threats; three - we're to investigate this 'Tamarika K' character. Availability of weapons & the like isn't going to be a high priority - an aberrant attack is going to be noticed by the regular security forces after all - we're there to look for the stuff that everyone else isn't looking for."

The Englishman pauses, well aware that even the most simple of instructions can cause undue complications with some personality types...

"Naturally our tasks begin well before we get to this summit - depending, of course, on what sort of time scale we're working to here. Background checks on all those to be attending - down to the tea lady - are stage one: I'm sure we'll have the resources of Proteus to help us there. If there is time then one or two of us should visit Tamarika K in France - or at least the areas she's active in - to see what we can learn prior to her appearance at the meeting. After all, the Chromatics we encountered who'd had contact with these 'Doyen' appeared to possess abilities greater than usual for their race, so it's not beyond the realms of imagination that the same could be true for humans who contact them - although it would be a little sloppy on the part of the aliens... But still, it's never wise to ignore the obvious."

"As to the summit itself - is there a particular reason that Proteus agents wouldn't be welcome? I only ask because it seems foolish to add more complications than are strictly necessary. If we have to go under cover then committee members or Dad's Army seem two of the worst choices available - if we pose as security then our potential targets will naturally try to avoid us; if we pose as active summit attendees then we're too high profile. Can we take a look at openings as caterers or cleaners & suchlike? Ideally we want positions where we can gather information as unobtrusivly as possible. As a rule political types talk politics to each other - they let the important stuff slip to the chap who serves their drinks, or the lady who shares their bed."

"With regards to our psychic members - can we please insure that all relevant impressions & information is passed on? Despite being 'blank' the rest of us may, on rare occassions, be possessed of insights that you yourselves lack access to. Such pooled knowledge & experience is useless if you only pass on the edited highlights & skip the details. You can, however, feel free to avoid any of that 'one with the universe' mystic embelishment stuff - yes, we're all very impressed with your various powers, but I for one prefer a more professional approach than having to sift such information through the filter of Mystic Meg."

"On the topic, it may be an idea to send our clairsentients off to London early - to get a 'feel' for the place - if that helps at all. I'm no expert on noetics, after all - so feel free to offer suggestions in that regard."

"If any of you gentlmen have any further constructive comments to make, then now's your opportunity."

Hastings raises an eyebrow at the youngster's comments,

"What other sort of 'in charge' did you have in mind - besides the technical? If you have a problem with following my orders then I'm more than happy to sign any request for a transfer out of the unit you may have."

*Jesus... I'd forgotten what a bastard you are, Hastings...* ::sarcasm

"Sir, I was referring to your own previous reluctance to assume leadership, Oswald's way of recommending that we follow your lead and the group's earlier approach to having a chain of command. I don't think I have given you any reason to question my ability or willingness to follow your orders, Sir."

Realizing - again ::rolleyes - that Lieutenant Hastings doesn't want to hear anything constructive from him, Tiger keeps his mouth shut and sits back to listen to the others.

Staring off into space, Harker speaks without looking at anyone. "Excuse me, Lt. Hastings, but I respectfully disagree, at least partially. At least one or two of us should be high-profile. Mingling in a more accepted fashion could provide us with a much-needed different perspective."

Idly turning a slowly-focusing gaze on Hastings, the linguist smiles. "I do agree with everything else you said, though. I would like to visit London ahead of time. Luckily, I already have citizenship in Great Britain. There shouldn't be any challenge from the bureaucracy, especially as I'm considering purchasing a home there. Maybe a small flat, for when I need to get away from it all. I do so enjoy hosting small informal gatherings of new acquaintances and old friends. Any suggestions for locale?"

Oswald stares off into space with a glazed expression as the group bickers.

Once again Talvin sees shadows flickering about the man.

The shadows deepen – falling in darkness and pulling Talvin helplessly into a vision: Oswald looks into a grubby bathroom mirror. He raises his right hand to wipe away the dirt and misting. In the cleared patch Oswald sees himself as he slowly raises a pistol to his head. In the mirror he sees himself slowly and very deliberately press the weapon to his left temple. And fire.

"As for how we go about successfully completing this mission, the first step is always to actually listen to what we've been asked to do. One - we stay out of the way of the politicians: which we can hardly do if we volunteer to be on the same committees as them; two - we locate & prevent any threats to the success of the conference: that means we're there to gather intelligence - a telepath on the team would be nice in that regard, but I'm sure our clairsentient members will do their best to give us fair warning of specific threats; three - we're to investigate this 'Tamarika K' character. Availability of weapons & the like isn't going to be a high priority - an aberrant attack is going to be noticed by the regular security forces after all - we're there to look for the stuff that everyone else isn't looking for."

The Englishman pauses, well aware that even the most simple of instructions can cause undue complications with some personality types...

"Naturally our tasks begin well before we get to this summit - depending, of course, on what sort of time scale we're working to here. Background checks on all those to be attending - down to the tea lady - are stage one: I'm sure we'll have the resources of Proteus to help us there. If there is time then one or two of us should visit Tamarika K in France - or at least the areas she's active in - to see what we can learn prior to her appearance at the meeting. After all, the Chromatics we encountered who'd had contact with these 'Doyen' appeared to possess abilities greater than usual for their race, so it's not beyond the realms of imagination that the same could be true for humans who contact them - although it would be a little sloppy on the part of the aliens... But still, it's never wise to ignore the obvious."

Oswald nods.

"As to the summit itself - is there a particular reason that Proteus agents wouldn't be welcome? I only ask because it seems foolish to add more complications than are strictly necessary. If we have to go under cover then committee members or Dad's Army seem two of the worst choices available - if we pose as security then our potential targets will naturally try to avoid us; if we pose as active summit attendees then we're too high profile. Can we take a look at openings as caterers or cleaners & suchlike? Ideally we want positions where we can gather information as unobtrusivly as possible. As a rule political types talk politics to each other - they let the important stuff slip to the chap who serves their drinks, or the lady who shares their bed."

”I assure you that our Triton people are doing everything they can to know everything about everyone present – no small task. They do believe that the Doyen, given their previous modus operandi, are likely to try to influence those with an existing power base or strong influence on such.”

”As to your second point, Lieutenant, well things become tricky there. I’m sure that we could send you in as Proteus personnel, but the suspicions aroused would be huge. “Why?” “What do we know that they don’t?” “If we know of some threat, then why not say so?” Such things have the potential to create an atmosphere of distrust – something that will likely exist regardless, but WE don’t want to be the cause of it. Additionally, DA:Earth suggests that the most likely outcome is that we will be thanked for our contribution and that you will be added to the Home Guard security as a courtesy, but their orders will be to keep you out of anything dangerous and out of the way of the politicians.”

”Getting in as a servant is potentially as problematic for several reasons. While you are correct in your assessment that servants overhear things, the British are thoroughly aware of this. After so many years of Royal and Political scandal before the isolation it is literally more difficult to gain a menial asset within the British political machinery than it is to gain an asset within the Home Guard. I’m sure you realise that the Trinity is not exactly the Bavarian Illuminati – we have only so many people and that until quite recently Britain was so isolated that there was very little need for us to have such an asset. Also, given the importance of this meeting it is certain that only the most trusted servants will be used. What is more, while a servant position would be excellent to monitor impromptu meetings between delegates, the sessions and subcommittees will all break for refreshments and meals on an English schedule making it very likely that anyone impersonating a servant would be noticed by other servants at least. Obviously a Norça agent or two would be ideal, and we had requested that our Æon affiliated Norça be used, but Del Fuego turned us down flat. Triton S&F are still guessing why.”

”As you suggested, having a telepath present would be helpful. However, the consequences to Æon would be disasterous if that information were to ever come out. ‘Æon Trinity coerces cooperation of sovereign European powers,’ or worse, ‘Æon Trinity destroys Europe’s last hope for Unity’. Either of those headlines would be more damaging to the world than the failure of the beanstalk. Also, we have our suspicions that China wants to be the first power on Earth to have an elevator in place. Only technology is stopping them – and you can be sure that their engineers are working to overcome that obstacle right now. It will be a blow to China’s national pride if they fall behind in this – especially to Europe.”

”Having said all of that, let me make my position clear: I’m giving you the job, and I’ve outlined the parameters that our people have thought of. I am more than happy to support you with any ideas you have to complete the mission - so long as our people deem them to be sane and feasible. You are going to be the ones in the line of fire so we will to do things your way as long as the mission is accomplished. That is my bottom line.”

"I will make any arrangements you require regarding travel to France or London. I do suggest that you think carefully about your roles. We have a small number of bioapps available to alter your vocal patterns to match a certain programmed accent, but they must be programmed before you leave. British passport control should not be an issue as we have several assets in place there - sympathisers from the days of isolation"

Oswald stares off into space with a glazed expression as the group bickers.

Once again Talvin sees shadows flickering about the man.

The shadows deepen ?falling in darkness and pulling Talvin helplessly into a vision: Oswald looks into a grubby bathroom mirror. He raises his right hand to wipe away the dirt and misting. In the cleared patch Oswald sees himself as he slowly raises a pistol to his head. In the mirror he sees himself slowly and very deliberately press the weapon to his left temple. And fire.

Talvin's gaze lingers on Oswald as he is hit by the recurring vision of Oswald's demise...

"I will make any arrangements you require regarding travel to France or London. I do suggest that you think carefully about your roles. We have a small number of bioapps available to alter your vocal patterns to match a certain programmed accent, but they must be programmed before you leave. British passport control should not be an issue as we have several assets in place there - sympathisers from the days of isolation"

Talvin nods

"I believe I may be best suited to go to France...finding those dat don't want to be found is what I do. Perhaps someone with a vehicle could accompany me. France is a big place to cover considering de tainted grounds there..."

"Excuse me, Lt. Hastings, but I respectfully disagree, at least partially. At least one or two of us should be high-profile. Mingling in a more accepted fashion could provide us with a much-needed different perspective."

"That would appear to go directly against our orders to keep out of the politicians way. However, as long as we make sure that we stick to the observer status that Triton has - just supplying facts & figures when asked, rather than voicing personal opinions on the political topics - then it's a possibility, yes."

"I do agree with everything else you said, though. I would like to visit London ahead of time. Luckily, I already have citizenship in Great Britain. There shouldn't be any challenge from the bureaucracy, especially as I'm considering purchasing a home there. Maybe a small flat, for when I need to get away from it all. I do so enjoy hosting small informal gatherings of new acquaintances and old friends. Any suggestions for locale?"

Hastings frowns,

"Strange - UK citizenship isn't listed on your file. Recent is it?"

”Having said all of that, let me make my position clear: I’m giving you the job, and I’ve outlined the parameters that our people have thought of. I am more than happy to support you with any ideas you have to complete the mission - so long as our people deem them to be sane and feasible. You are going to be the ones in the line of fire so we will to do things your way as long as the mission is accomplished. That is my bottom line.”

The Englishman listens to what Oswald has to say in silence, thinking,

*It's easier to fake being a politician or a security operative than it is to fake being a bar tender? What the Hell has happened to ol' Blighty? This whole thing stinks to high heaven - our mandate is huge - 'make sure the whole thing goes smoothly'. There's no way we're going to be able to cover every possible angle - especially with such a small & ill-trained group. There's also no way I can walk in there pretending to be someone else - I probably went to school with half those chaps. But if I go along as myself, I risk exposing the family to this bunch of dangerous idiots. I left the IIS to avoid situations like this - bloody Proteus bastards. Watch yourself, Robert, it looks like someone's got it in for you... Someone with a little more of a reason than Tigger's childish rebellions too...*

"I believe I may be best suited to go to France...finding those dat don't want to be found is what I do. Perhaps someone with a vehicle could accompany me. France is a big place to cover considering de tainted grounds there..."

Hastings nods,

"Agreed - you & Harker check out the French angle. Madina - I'd like you on the ground in London to start the preliminary investigations & security checks of the summit location. Vaughn & Rochester - do either of you actually have any useful investigative skills? Your files both suggest that you're special ops', but with no experience with this kind of sensitive mission. Anything you'd like to add before I assign you?"

"I'll arrange your covers for the actual summit later - there's some details I need to check out first. Madina - keep a low profile for now. Sawhney & Harker - I'll give you a little more lee-way: if you happen to get a golden opportunity to get on the inside with those French cultists, then that could be useful. Otherwise, try to not be noticed - we wouldn't want to force anyone to wear a disguise for the summit, now, would we?"

"Vaughn & Rochester - do either of you actually have any useful investigative skills? Your files both suggest that you're special ops', but with no experience with this kind of sensitive mission. Anything you'd like to add before I assign you?"

"Yes. I have experience running relatively small-scale investigations, though I freely admit that I'm glad not to be in charge of this."

He looks thoughtful for a second.

"Also, nanotechnology implanted in my face allows me to make small alterations to its contours to a degree that can act as a suitable disguise, if you think that capacity might be useful in the future."

"To a routine scan, such as will almost certainly be present at the summit, none of this technology will appear to be more than routine implants. But, intensive surveillance for a period by an electrokinetic or a highly skilled telepath or clairsentient would reveal its true nature, including one concealed weapon in my right palm. For this reason, and because I agree with Robert, it would be probably wiser for most of us to act as Guardsmen or otherwise, relying on clairsentience or a single high-profile agent to survey the high-profile sides of the summit."

"Vaughn & Rochester - do either of you actually have any useful investigative skills? Your files both suggest that you're special ops', but with no experience with this kind of sensitive mission. Anything you'd like to add before I assign you?"

"I have been on this kind of mission", Tiger says, "although not with as high stakes as we're talking about here. It's probably all in the classified section of my files, but yes, I have been on investigative missions - in a team. On those occasions I've mostly done undercover work - partly because there are no traceable records of who I am, which of course reduces the risk of compromising the mission."

"I'm also familiar with most commercial and military security systems in use in the americas and on Luna. As far as I know they're mostly the same in the UK, but I'll read up on it just the same."

"That would appear to go directly against our orders to keep out of the politicians way. However, as long as we make sure that we stick to the observer status that Triton has - just supplying facts & figures when asked, rather than voicing personal opinions on the political topics - then it's a possibility, yes."

Harker nods in agreement.

Hastings frowns,

"Strange - UK citizenship isn't listed on your file. Recent is it?"

The linguist shakes his head, a slight chuckle accompanying his smile. "I've had it for awhile, don't know why you didn't see it in the file."

"I'll arrange your covers for the actual summit later - there's some details I need to check out first. Madina - keep a low profile for now. Sawhney & Harker - I'll give you a little more lee-way: if you happen to get a golden opportunity to get on the inside with those French cultists, then that could be useful. Otherwise, try to not be noticed - we wouldn't want to force anyone to wear a disguise for the summit, now, would we?"

"Understood. When do you want us to leave?"

Listening to what Taka & Tiger have to say the Englishman nods, then replies,

"Okay. Just in case it needs to be said, Rochester here will be second in command of the mission, as usual. I'm going to assign you two," he indicates Taka & Tiger, "to the Home Guard - so I'd like you both to research correct Home Guard security procedures, & to make sure that you get your covers straight. We English can spot a foriegner a mile off, so work out something convincing - & for God's sake avoid any stereotypes... I'm also tasking you two with researching all the mundane threats to the summit that the rest of the security force will be looking out for - after all, we'll need to at least have an idea of what's expected & what's really 'unusual'."

"I've had it for awhile, don't know why you didn't see it in the file."

Hastings smiles,

"Oh. I'll see to it that the appropriate file clerk is executed." he is (hopefully) kidding... ::lookaround

"Understood. When do you want us to leave?"

"Why are any of you still here? Get to it. Report anything relevant on coded comm' channel beta [or whatever is approriate], & prepare reports on your assigned areas of investigation that the rest of us will be able to follow easily & benefit from. Good luck - if you let me down I'll kill you myself..." again it's not entirely clear as to whether this is an attempt at humour or not... ::sly

"Okay. Just in case it needs to be said, Rochester here will be second in command of the mission, as usual. I'm going to assign you two," he indicates Taka & Tiger, "to the Home Guard - so I'd like you both to research correct Home Guard security procedures, & to make sure that you get your covers straight. We English can spot a foriegner a mile off, so work out something convincing - & for God's sake avoid any stereotypes... I'm also tasking you two with researching all the mundane threats to the summit that the rest of the security force will be looking out for - after all, we'll need to at least have an idea of what's expected & what's really 'unusual'."

Taka raises an eyebrow.

"Covers? You want us to pose as native Englishmen? I assumed we would simply go as what we are: Aeon agents 'on loan', so to speak, to the Home Guard for the summit."

[it's worth re-mentioning at this point that Taka's impeccable English is in an English accent, in addition to a strangely lilting accent that is presumably Nihonjin.]

"Covers? You want us to pose as native Englishmen? I assumed we would simply go as what we are: Aeon agents 'on loan', so to speak, to the Home Guard for the summit."

Hastings nods,

"That would have been my first choice as well - but I'm led to believe that such an open Æon presence would cause panic & threaten the success of the summit. Having our job made harder by politics is hardly a new revelation though... ::rolleyes As it is we have assets in place through which you will be introduced as native Home Guard members. Luckily modern England is a pretty multi-ethnic place, so appearances won't be a problem - as long as your backstories & performances are up to the job. Your files both indicate that such an assignment shouldn't be a problem, but if it will be, then speak up now."

"Why are any of you still here? Get to it. Report anything relevant on coded comm' channel beta [or whatever is approriate], & prepare reports on your assigned areas of investigation that the rest of us will be able to follow easily & benefit from. Good luck - if you let me down I'll kill you myself..."

Arching an eyebrow and giving Hastings a bemused glance, Harker stands up and prepares to leave.

"Talvin?"

"That would have been my first choice as well - but I'm led to believe that such an open Æon presence would cause panic & threaten the success of the summit. Having our job made harder by politics is hardly a new revelation though...

Taka turns his slightly raised eyebrow on Oswald.

"I understood you to mean that an official Proteus presence would raise alarm. It doesn't strike me as at all inconceivable that the Trinity might lend troops to the Home Guard for a big occasion like this."

"I understood you to mean that an official Proteus presence would raise alarm. It doesn't strike me as at all inconceivable that the Trinity might lend troops to the Home Guard for a big occasion like this."

"Unfortunately the Trinity occupies something of a difficult position in the structure of these things, Special Agent. If we represented one of the countries attending the meeting then offerring to lend troops would normally be standard procedure. Britain would not accept of course - she has a long way to go before she shrugs off her xenophobia completely - but we could offer. However, Aeon is not a country and so has no sovreign rights to uphold and hence shouldn't be seen to be putting on shows of force for anyone's benefit. Aeon acts as an agency involved in Logistics and Support. We distribute aid, provide statistical information, advise on predicted issues of contention and are occasionally chosen to help mediate disputes in the EC. We also co-ordinate interactions between the Orders and between the Orders and regular militaries and governments."

"We cannot be seen to be acting in a strange fashion or there will be odd questions. You might find it odd, for example, if a sanitation agent arrived at your home and offered to cook you a meal. Unfortunately the same logic applies here. If we offerred to add a few agents to the Home Guard the British at the very least would want to know why. At that point there would be very little that we could say that wouldn't be insulting or a cause for concern."

Arching an eyebrow and giving Hastings a bemused glance, Harker stands up and prepares to leave.

"Talvin?"

Talvin nods

"A friend of mine is waiting by your ship with my things, let's go..."

Apparently going to France is no surprise to Talvin...

[if everyone is finished..]

As soon as Taka gets the file with Tiger's and his papers, he will send a message to Tiger asking him to be packed by 8 AM the next day.

At just about 5 to 8 the next day, Tiger will see a sleek, silver Shendai pull adroitly into a parking spot near his flat, and a familiar Easterner come out to greet him and help him with any excess baggage he may have.

{Ok. Since brilyn hasn't been seen for a while I guess I'd better NPC Frederick for the now. Any word on Umoja?}

The Meeting

"Agreed - you & Harker check out the French angle.

The stocky, bald ex-legionnaire nods and pipes up with

"I can be help with that. I've done quite a few tours through France with the 6th. Bug Hunts and S&R. If it's there, I can help find it. Thing with France is, just about everyone you meet is some kind of crazy, it takes a while to get to know which crazies are dangerous crazies and which crazies are just crazy. And we don't have that time. You definitely need me."

"As you say, then. Tiger, we'll take a day or two to arrange our covers and decide how much of our personae need to be fabricated, then take the next flight to London. Is that okay with you?"
"A friend of mine is waiting by your ship with my things, let's go..."

Oswald gives Talvin a look at this comment.

"Godspeed everyone. Good luck."

Oswald gathers up his mini-comp and leaves.

Roof Launch Area of the AEon Headquarters, Chicago

The Howling Sparrow stands fuelled and ready with priority launch status. The invisible work of Neptune Division smoothing the way with pre-approved flight plan status and priority insertion into the relevant flight paths.

As the 'French' team pass through the waiting area, a completely white haired and bespectacled man probably in his late thirties approaches. His clothing is simple and rugged-looking but otherwise unremarkable. He is also carrying a mid-sized backback and a square black tool case. "Talvin, gud to see you. I am ready and haf my gear," he shakes the tool bag slightly.

"Vell, are you going to introduce me to your friends or do I haf to guess who is who?"

Archived