[OpNet] The Difficulties of Nova and Baseline Relations.

Sounds like your little project has gained a life of its own Jager. As was discussed earlier some of us might have to consider that a bit of a threat. I hope you won't take anything that happens from this point out personally.

Jager, I realize that my previous post was a unnecessary. I misunderstood your meaning. My apologies. I do understand having to step back and see what you are doing for what it is. Doing the "right thing" for the wrong reasons or the wrong people can be devestating. It is somethng that all of us must be careful of. I think it is very constructive to occasionally step back and simple take an objective look at yourself and your life. It can be difficult to do but is quite rewarding. By the way Jager, my projecty is New England is going well, though I do not like what I have found so far. I beleive I have narrowed it down to three candidates. I'll keep you posted.

Shakti, I was not aware of the situation between novas and baselines in India. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Perhaps I should take a vacationthere sometime. It would be a nice change of pace. I digress. Isn't it interesting how this India Syndrome idea developed? A nova uses his/her abilities to aid baselines and improve their lives. The grateful baselines raise the nova up as an icon, give him goods, respect, food, etc. in return. It is a scaled down version of what happens all over the planset. Look at Utopia's work. A nova uses his/her powers to aid humanity and is repaid with money, fame, retail lines, etc. in return. The only difference seems to be that in one instance the nova is operating on thier own initiative and int he other the nova is controlled by others. I wonder what makes India Syndrome so bad then, if it is just a basic equivalent of standard work for a nova int he rest of the world. I'm sure all o fyou can put two and twotogether. After all, who was it that first created India Syndrome to cast a stigma on these locally interested novas? I should stop before I start ranting about that certain group. Just some food for thought.

By the way Adept, your school idea is very interesting. If you have the staff or method, I would suggest you send a copy of the proposal to the home of Count Roaul Orzaiz in Ibiza. I know it would reach him (he always takes ote of being contacted by fellow novas), and I feel that it is the kind of thing he would be intersted in helping out, through funding or some other such thing. Just give it a try, I think it would be worth your while.

Mr. Meehan, I'm not sure that it is a wise idea to classify these people as a threat just yet. You may be in possesion of more information than I am, but at this point it seems unwise to act before more is known about them. Alos they are associates of JAger, who in my mind is an honorable, ethical and all around good nova. I'm sure if these people are associates of him, they must be good people as well, or at least not actively malignant. Just my two cents.

I can't beleive I sepnt this much space just replying. Well, I'llpost again with more of my thoughts. Take care friends, watch out for each other. We are all we have.

Hydra

Thanks for the kind words, Hydra. I would like to point out two things, though.

For one, the danger of the India Syndrome is that the populace treats the nova as if they were a divine being for no more reason than they are a nova. They don't necessarily provide any service to their followers, though most do. While filling a religious need may seem nice, remember that not all religions are benevolant. I have heard rumors about a revival of the Thuggee cult in some urban areas of India as well as some Charismatic Aryans in the Southwestern US.

Also, I had several reasons for disbanding my teams. One of them was that several other novas felt conserned about the knowledge and training I was giving my baseline associates. While I was personally watching over them, they were content to take a wait-and-see attitude. If they are active again, I am not sure what reactions these novas will take. Problem is, I sought out people who wanted to make a positive difference in the world and who could take initiative. It seems that I succeeded. They are still trying to make a difference and have shown a great deal of initiative. They just aren't aware of all the various layers this world opperates on and have forgotten the old adage that no good deed goes unpunished.

I am glad to hear that your project is going well. Have your 'accidents' ceased?

James, I should be talking to Tasha by this weekend. If something happens before then, I understand that I can't take it personally.

Thank you for your understanding Jager. I don't intend on doing any aggressive, I merely am intending on beefing up my security. While you have been so kind and understanding in regards to my more unusual projects I get the feeling that your pupils would not be so forgiving. The fact that my program of 'instruction' for baselines is on hold might not be reassuring enough for them.

As a result of my personal 'weakness' (compared to other novas at least) I feel unable to create a defense structure that is not horrendously lethal at the very least. I would hate to cut an enemy a break and have it come back and bite me in the posterior. So, I hope your people understand that.

It's a good thing that Ashnod is not hereabouts anymore. She would most assuredly take you to task. I believe she did bring up the possiblity of your losing control over your pack of armed monkeys. I didn't realize she was pretercog.

Good luck with your talk with Tasha. A healthy warning might be in order. I would just hate for her to find out too late that she has a tiger by the tail.

there are humans who want to hurt us? humans taught by Jager? this is bad, bad. i've been given intelligence from DeVreye's on Jager. just a little, but he's smart, good, tough. thats what they say. does this mean the humans will be smart, good, tough? this isn't good. do they want to hurt me? why, don't hurt me, please, dont hurt me. i don't want to hurt them, unless they are bad. are they bad? if they come after me they must be bad. you said they are coming. they're bad,badbadbad. why? im good, i try. but now they are comingcomingcomingcomingcomingtogetme. i have to get them first.

Jager,

I "met" Tasha while trying to ferret out information on you and your organization. We "talked" for a few hours about what you and yours do. I don't see what the bitching is all about, disaster relief and troubleshooting aren't going to hurt the nova population all that significantly.

James,

Have you taken the time to investigate the actions of Jager's teams? So far I have found records of them performing mop up after no less than 5 Nova on Nova battles in civilian areas, they provided assistance in the takedown of a child molesting parasite, Infiltrated a Michaelite compound to rescue the daughter of a known nova, and provided opposition against an enraged and out of control Nova until T2M and the Directive could arrive to properly handle the situation. If my information is correct, they have managed to kill only 1 Nova, and have suffered 19 casualties themselves. All of this they do without pay. Where is your problem? If these were novas would it be acceptable? How about if they were novas acting against baselines? Where exactly do you draw the line James?

Hydra,

The Count and I are good friends, although we don't see each other as often as I'd like. I'm sure he'd love the school idea and would be more than willing to help fund it, however I would have to decline the offer, unfortunately. The idea for the school is for anyone to bring their kids to it. If word got out that the Teregen was funding it (and word always gets out) then I would have a media fiasco on my hands, not to mention Utopia breathing down my neck. Besides, this is something I can fund all on my own. Now, if any of the Teregen have non-nova kids that they want to enrole, well I wouldn't turn them away. The plans are still on the drawing board though.

Oh and as for the India Syndrome, the problem is not with the general concept (basically a version of the barter system) but, as Jager pointed out, with the religious connotations. It is not just that these people worship novas as divine beings, but that the novas in question activly promote that behavior. These groups rapidly expand into religious cults, and these cults often come into conflict with each other and society as a whole. All in all, a highly volatile situation.

Quote:
These groups rapidly expand into religious cults, and these cults often come into conflict with each other and society as a whole. All in all, a highly volatile situation.

One point about India Syndrome is that it is a Hindu phenomenon, Hinduism is very tolerant of other religions based on how we believe. There is only one god, but that god manifests in many ways. Who is to say that Yaweh is not another incarnation of Bra

Quote:
Originally posted by Adept:

James,

Have you taken the time to investigate the actions of Jager's teams? So far I have found records of them performing mop up after no less than 5 Nova on Nova battles in civilian areas, they provided assistance in the takedown of a child molesting parasite, Infiltrated a Michaelite compound to rescue the daughter of a known nova, and provided opposition against an enraged and out of control Nova until T2M and the Directive could arrive to properly handle the situation. If my information is correct, they have managed to kill only 1 Nova, and have suffered 19 casualties themselves. All of this they do without pay. Where is your problem? If these were novas would it be acceptable? How about if they were novas acting against baselines? Where exactly do you draw the line James?

Right outside my door. Regardless of their affiliation I worry about any armed group of individuals who have taken upon themselves to decide whether or not to 'handle' me. I have no illusions that my activities might upset some people, baselines especially, and for that reason I guard myself.

Now, I would like you to know that I have information sources that are at least as capable as yours, so I also have investigated Jager' little hunters. I am concerned about what I have found.

1. Their reaction time to some of these emergencies strike me as almost being prescient. Amazing for a group of baselines to be sure.

2. Utopia normally is quite hostile to independent groups who involve themselves in Nova affairs. But for some reason they are ignoring this particular group. Why?

3. Honestly, they left far too many of the Michalites alive for my tastes.

Two unanswered questions and one general show of poor judgement, that alone makes me nervous. The fact that they were trained by Jager increases my distaste. My quantum manipulation talents lay almost solely in the arena of affecting other quantum talents. I have little physical presence and am quite vunerable to physical attack of even baseline potential. My greatest strength is in my meager intellect, I have few other weapons at my disposal. A group of well trained assasins causes me no end of worry.

My point James, is that they are not assassins. They have performed no actions that would cast them in that light. I have no doubt of the capacity of you information network James, in fact I would suggest that it probably outstrips my own little "network". Again, go back and look at just what types of activities they involve themselves in.

Now about your questions/points.

1. As even Jager has stated, there are Novas on the teams. Tasha is a Cyberkinetic I believe. It is not so unthinkable to me that there may be a precog in the organization.

2. Perhaps they have managed to keep their true nature hidden from Utopia, perhaps they have managed to reman completely under the radar. Then again, they just might be too small for Utopia to take an interest in them as of yet. Here's an idea, perhaps they have someone on the inside, directing attention away from the organization.

3. I don't totally disagree with you on that point James, but really, that's just a matter of personal opinion. Some might also say that they've left too many Novas alive as well.

James, you have the right to defend yourself in the even of an attack, you also have the right to do just about anything that you wish. Just don't forget that your actions have concequences.

Oh and James? I would hardly call your intelligence meager, nor would I downplay the extent of your technology. You are far more capable of defending yourself then you want us all to believe. I for one am not fooled.

Round one with Tasha hasn't gone so well.

Not only did she and Talbot ressurect the teams, but they dug up the scematics to some of Cornleius' gear. They even recruited some new members. Of the nineteen casualties, three are fatalities. One was an older teammate who died trying to pull out two newbies. They have also been working with some of my old contacts who weren't aware of my sabbatical.

Worse, the nova fatality had ties to the Primacy and they are almost certainly looking for some payback.

I actually agree with the Michaelite raid. The teams have been taught to minimize bloodshed whenever possible. They know better than to take political stands. It gets in the way of saving lives.

Utopias stance has me puzzled as well, but I will just have to add that to the growing list of things to look into. All I can say right now is that they have historically overlooked me and mine. The low profile was primarily my doing.

Now I have to figure out what I am going to do with them and they with me. As I said earlier, I am responsible.

As for Ashnod, I will have to look her up as well. No need for her to waste the effort hunting me down so she can chew me out.

I have to say I am sorry to hear you have changed your opinion Jager. I am even more surprised that you are changing so quickly. I think you may be being too hard on yourself, despite our powers we are no more infallible than the next man.

The game is not yet played out, things may not go quite the way you seem to think they will at the moment.

How have I changed my opinion, Bagman? If I had trained a nova and he/she then used that training for 'foul' purposes, I would be no more or less responsible. I did tell some other novas that I would try to reign in the baseline teams activities because they felt the need for pre-emptive actions if I didn't. Getting the teams to stand down was an attempt to save lives, their lives.

I have no illusions about what a few powerful novas can do and what chances any team of baselines and young novas would have against them.

I came to the decision to disband the teams because I had formed them for the wrong reasons. I was fighting the last war, not looking to stop the next one from happening. Tactically, the teams did a lot of good. Stategically, they were causing certain folks, both baseline and nova, problems. When both the Teragen and Utopia began to take hostile notice of what I was trying to do, I realized the trouble I was getting these folks into.

I am still working on an answer to that dilemma.

• 3 weeks later...

Jager,

I have to admit a bit of pleasure in this, you know. Not that it happened, but that you and James are so concerned with what my reaction will be or should be to it.

While saying "I told you so," is tempting, I'd rather you ask yourself this: Did you honestly think that after gathering them specifically for this purpose, and training them to do it, that they would simply give it up because you asked them to? If the commander loses their fire or their edge (or is perceived to have lost it by those subordinate to them), someone will generally rise to replace them. I expect that is what happened in this case.

Well, I am back at it. The team and I had a long heart to heart, and while they are a bit confused by my new outlook, we both came to realize that we can do alot more together as a team than we can apart.

It won't be the same old organization anymore. It will be more of a collaberation of efforts.

Donald P., you can pick up your infiltrators in the parking lot of the Hojo's in Convington Indiana. Mess with me and mine again, there will be corpses. We now know who you are, >delete<.

Yes, Ashnod. They made their own way in the world without me and they remain my responsibility. Running away from it won't help the matter. Besides, it feels good to be saving lives again. So, it may make no difference in the way the world turns out. I can live with that.

• 5 months later...