Adventure! RPG - Alternate Settings?

Captether

Hello all,

I was just wondering what settings other that the aeonverse you fellows set your adventure games, and how did you do it mechanic/goodies wise? I myself have always been loath to stick to a published setting as-written, though I might be inspired by such material.

There was a fellow on the yahoo group for adventure (Olaf something) who was trying to set up an adventure game in a sword and sorcery pulp setting. I thought that this was brilliant! I am a big fan of the conan-type saga. I have visited his site several times hoping to see more material but alas there has been none.

I tried starting a pseudo-victorian game using the Adventure! rules, but it was sooo hard to get committed players who could also stick to the time-period and genre. The characters were working for a society of troubleshooters that addressed supernatural threats. Vampires existed in the setting (not too different from WOD vamps, though with enough changes to keep rules lawyers in fits).

Tell us your tales, and dont be afraid to post mechanic-warping goodies ::smile

-Aaron

Well we just finished a Buckaroo Bonzai campaign. It was limited to Daredevils, and a restricted set of level 1 Mental knacks. We had a blast adjusting the material for early 1980s and upping some of the technology. Telluric energy was weaker, but present.

If you can't tell we just wanted to create a sequal adventure to the movie. Our heroes successfully stopped the World Crime League, though at the loss of their leader's life... ::biggrin Well, thats what it looked like. If we play episode three, The Phantom Plague of Mars, things may develope further.

Gideon

what our group did was ase our game around a 'portal' a mystical artefact with the power to span space, time, and dimensions. we use the adventure rules and the same characters, but we play where ever and whenever and in whatever genre we please. it's been a lot of fun and proved to be very versitale.

it was actually a while before the characters even found out about the portal... the thing about it is, it's incomplete, not all the parts were found, and occasionally it randomly fires and tends to hit the characters. hence they weren't sure what was happening to them. either that or the crew that operates the portal flings the characters around as experiments. the characters only ever deliberatly used it once, and well, they were in one piece when they got back... interpret that how you will... ::blink

they usually try to avoid the portal just on principal, fate, or the st at the time, has other ideas though. none of them like the thing, it's considered risky at best, deadly at worst.

places visited:

-atlantis/lemuria like place in the distant past

-3321 AD in an alternate timeline (ala shadow run/rifts/star craft)

-the subquantum dimension that holds the still point

-1920's brazil near a tear in reality

-2348 AD to catch a time thief (ala quantum leap/alternate trinity)

Well, I was considering running a game with Adventure rules which involved the supernatural and was in a fairly modern setting... Two or three English average joes living in a quiet village encountering the supernatural in the form of a deadly vampire which begins haunting the village. From an ST point of view, it should evolve into a monster-hunting horror game, sort of, but it could take other directions. This is the reason I posted that other thread, "Creature templates" (any excuse for a plug ::smile ). It could be fun, could be wierd, could be dramatic. Don't know until I run it. Beyond that, I'm just running your average space pulp half-half within the Trinity setting's boundaries. Nothing unusal, lots of people who have run Cowboy Bebop-style games(though mine is going to have monkey space pirates. Mwahahahaha) ::wink

I'm running an Adventure game in the Dune Universe. The reason why I don't run my Dune campaign in Aberrant or Trinity is twofold: 1) I thought the PC's aren't really x-menlike superheroes or psychics and 2) I don't have the books of either system.

I had to change quite a lot, but all in all, the core of the game is adventure! The reason of chosing a White Wolf game as base is that those games are heavy on social skills. And there is no real Dune system (yes, there is a prerelease version of LUG's Dune Chronicles of the Emperium, but I have it only as .pdf).

• 2 months later...

LOL I use Adventure for just about anything except Aeon Continuum games.

I have run Star Wars (boy I really need to post that conversion). Pulp Fantasy & others.

Although converting it to other settings does take a little work , I think it is one of the most versatile games I know. Anything cinematic really works well with it.

• 1 month later...

We've begun using Adventure! as the basis of all of our Aeon settings. Even Trinity and Aberrant have been re-written to be more in line with Adventure!

We also have plans for a Wild West adventure! game as well as a WWII adventure! game and I secretly want very badly to create a wild west meets classical fantasy adventure! game.

A modern day spy! game would be completely possible, I'm running a Trinity era Adventure! based Spy game tonight, as a matter of fact.

I've also thought about a Pirates! game, and a fantasy pirates! game.

I guess a time-jumping adventure! game is only logical.

A.P.

I don't know that I'd go time-jumping (I hate time travel stories), but I'd certainly go dimension-jumping with Adventure!'s rules. They're just so darn easy to adapt for anything. In my current game, for example, there are at least three uses of Reptilian Regneration: one character does it with a medical tricorder-like Gadget, another has nanites in her blood, and the third is partially reptilian. It's like Mage's paradigm, only not as powerful.

I also think an excursion into a swords-and-sorcery fantasy setting could be fun, and it's worth noting that such a trip could be easily dropped into Adventure! by locating it in the Hollow Earth. Far beneath our feet there could be a Hyperborean-like realm of Conan-like warriors, just waiting for some intrepid Adventure!rs to visit them! Throw in an underground sea, and there are the pirates. And here I just picked up the Dragon Lords of Melniboné book. . . ::bigsmile

As another alternate version, I keep toying with the idea of using a Dr. Strangish NPC to cross the characters into a dark and magical version of our world, perhaps plagued by demonic spirits. Maybe a Dr. Doomish character has become Sorceror Supreme, and banished Dr. Strange to the Aeon world. The PCs could help him regain his title, and in the meantime, they could experiment with new Knacks as magic spells (or maybe even convert the character to Aberrant rules). I really, really like the idea of using an alternate reality as a place to use my Aberrant rules, without actually playing a whole Aberrant chronicle. When the characters leave that world to return to the normal Adventure! world, the extra powers go away! Voila! -- A little bit of power gaming, and no long term broken game balance!

[Edit] Here's another idea that I've had on the back burner for a while: Sarah Gettel's dispatch from pages 99-102 of Adventure! + RM4 House of Strahd (I6 Ravenloft for you old-timers out there) = Fun!

Archived