[OpNet] Taking Nova Life

Ashnod

Quote:
Originally posted by Ashnod:
Stheno,

I'm curious as to why you feel my statements regarding Nova/baseline interaction are "unsubstantiated assertations and nothing more." Obviously, I wouldn't have put those ideas in print if I didn't feel them legitimate. Nor have you taken any real measure of proving just how unsubstantiated they are, aside from just casually throwing the phrase out.

Prodigy,

What exactly is a "casual" killing?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ashnod:

Prodigy,

What exactly is a "casual" killing?

Any murder commited while wearing sneakers.

Sorry, just a bit of levity.

I would say that violence requires serious forethought and consideration. Any use of violence without proper consideration I would describe as casual.

Violence is a necessary tool for a society to use when interacting with others and itself. War, police authorities, executions, all of these are uses of that tool. It is important for a society to be willing to use violence to protect its interests. Just as important is that the society not be too willing to engage in violence, as this will doom a society just as much as passivity.

Ashnod, when I said that your statements were simply unsubstantiated assertions, I meant simply that you provide neither proof nor support for them. You simply said it.

I was not aware that pointing this fact out itself required substantiation.

Whether or not you felt the statement to be legitimate is not relevant if you did not support it, for the purposes of my argument. I was talking solely in terms of pure logic and reason. I am unfortunately not capable of adressing questions relating to emotions and so on, which is decidedly a flaw of mine.

My apologies for any lack of clarity on my part.

[This message has been edited by Stheno (edited 07-03-2001).]

Let me put this another way then. What is so wrong about nova training baselines in offensive/defensive tactics effective against novas? Are these skills something that baselines would have no way learning without the benefit of a nova teacher? I doubt that.

The only thing Jager is doing is altering the learning curve. Is this a bad thing? Not when the smallest portion of the population holds most raw power and is the least mentally stable. Aberrant Syndrome is very real and very dangerous. Think about this, When Geryon killed the mayor of Miami, he was (for the most part) in control of himself. Just imagine the destruction he would cause if he lost control or flew into a blind rage. Preferably, other novas of his power level would step in to stop him of calm him down, however, that will not always be an option. One day it may be nessissary for baselines to know how to deal with out-of-control novas. Those baselines may even save our lives.

Your talking about novas as if they were rabid dogs in need of being put down. If you ever happen to "get out of control" I'll remember that you sanctioned your own termination.

"Those baselines may even save our lives" ???You keep telling yourself that.

>Sigh< Reactionaries are so tiring. Some novas ARE rabid dogs that need to be put down (Take a look at Hazzard for an example) and so are some baselines. I never said ALL novas will need to be treated this way. Try thinking while you read Apep, it may help you understand. As for baselines saving your life, well, we live in a world of quantum possibility don't we? All things are possible, novas are living proof of that.

PS: If I ever become as psycho and pathetically destructive as Hazzard, I hope someone does put me down, I would deserve it.

I never claimed to be a scholar or even a philosopher. I do think while I read. Why I continue to read the posts on this forum must prove I am of small mind.

Of coarse you must be correct. Oh great and omnicient Savant. The baselines would not abuse their knowledge of how to combat novas. Never would that happen. They would only use it to deal with dangers that threatened both the nova and baseline world alike.

I think your train of thought is possibly as pathetically destructive, if not more, as Hazzard. (although I'm not all sure I would call him pathetic)

What the fuck is your problem girl? Where did I say I was omnipotent or that baselines would not abuse any power or knowledge that they had? Where did I claim you were a scholar or philosopher? I simply asked you to think about what was written before you reacted and replied to it. Don't put words in my mouth. I ask questions, and give my thoughts and opinions and in return I get attitude and threats. And here I thought this was a forum to discuss differing ideas and opinions, not rail and bitch at those who don't think like you. Thank you Apep, you have shown me something very valuable. Goodbye.

I believe, Savant, that if you examine your previous posts you will find part of the reason for Apep's "attitude" - your attitude.

Your previous postings were in many ways patronising: ">Sigh< Reactionaries are so tiring" being a good example of this.

You offered statements without supporting them and showed about as much respect for Apep's thoughts and opinions as she then did for yours.

What goes around, comes around.

True Ianus, Savant did just that. Look at his first post though and then look at Apep's response. Not very friendly of her, attacking a newbie to the boards who's just trying to give his/her(?) take on the topic. Alright, everyone who thinks we should take Apep off the welcoming comitee, raise your hands smile.gif oh, yah, we're on computers..........Damn!

Folks, wouldn't it be more constructive to look at and discuss our differences instead of resorting to name calling?

Savant, while I support the spirit of your argument, I don't appreciate you attacking my friend, Apep. I don't find it necessary to agree with another person's views to have them as a friend.

Savant, what is your profession? I used to freelance troublehoot. That is, I spied, stole, or rescued people for money. I had done this long enough, and was good enough, so that I didn't have to work for an Agency. Effectively, I was an elite. Way back when, I even hunted and killed my own kind. Apep came up the same way. So, before you start judging people, try to figure out were they are coming from first. You call yourself Savant. I would think you would pride yourself on your ability to reason and learn. Am I wrong?

Beyond feeling the need to question my own motivations for training baselines in anti-nova tactics, the other reason I quit training them was because of how easy it is becoming to get anti-nova weaponry. While I am not generally considered a dummy, I am not a cutting edge inventor, either. Novas are creating technology and building weapons with devestating consequences. Now, some of these are on the black market. Has anyone seen the new production models coming into the hands of the Nigerian Army? Something else for us to think about.

I will say this, as my last post. The intent of my two original posts was not to condone or condemn, mearly to converse and give my opinion. In those two original posts I attacked no one nor judged anyone's character or worth. My first post was replied to with civility and thought.

The way in which Apep responded to my second post angered and insulted me, I will admit. Instead of discussing the merits or flaws of what I had said, she instead chose to attack me personally make veiled threats. I responded the same way I would if I were face to face with someone acting the same way. With scorn and contempt. It was a breach of etiquette and I apologize to those of you who felt slighted by my actions.

Quote:
Savant, while I support the spirit of your argument, I don't appreciate you attacking my friend, Apep. I don't find it necessary to agree with another person's views to have them as a friend.

I never said anything about this Jager. I'm glad she is your friend, despite your differences. How unfortunate for us both she did not give me the benefit of the doubt by asking me to elaborate on my opinion or treating me with the basic respect one should show another person.

Quote:
So, before you start judging people, try to figure out were they are coming from first.

I would have appreciated the same courtesy myself. Unfortuantely, in this medium we can only judge each other by what we post. Neither Apep nor myself have made a good showing of ourselves in this encounter.

I hope those that continue to post here find the answers they are looking for, as for me, I am off to find friendlier and more tolerent waters, farewell.

One cannot expect to enter a debate with murder as the theme and not expect tempers to flare.

Eruption is not for the meek.