Trinity Universe: The Lost Treasure of Sir Henry Morgan

Asbjørn

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clearing a safe passage inside the ship takes some time, but eventually the excavation crew manages to fasten a couple of wires to the chest and pull it out. During the clearing of the rubble, a lot of other smaller chests and golden objects are found as well, and when someone takes a peek in the room the chest fell down from, a similar, but smaller chest is found as well. There is obviously more to examine in the big ship, but when the two chests have been dragged out, the air-supplies are running low, and it's about time people got back on board.

After the prow of the ship as been secured by an assortment of wires and nets to free the crane, the two caskets are lifted aboard one by one. Roughneck and his buddy enter the Nausicaa the same way the chests are transported, accompanying them into the 'cargo-hatch/pool', while the other divers get back inside through the decompression chamber.

Roughneck and partner are of course out of their suits first, and so have the first opportunity to examine the two chests, but not long after the hatch to the decompression chamber opens and lets the divers climb out.

Both chests are about two feet tall and seem to be made of gold, with complicated carvings of crowds, processions, altars and offerings covering the lids and sides. The larger chest, which is about six feet long and two and a half wide, have more detailed and finer carvings than the smaller, and has gems embedded in the patterns of the lid. All the carvings on the lid picture a man with an emerald on his chest in various situations, sometimes conducting ceremonies, sometimes in war and sometimes passing judgment.

The smaller chest, which is about four feet long and two wide, is just as covered as the big one, but with rougher carvings. The symbols covering the lid are also harder to get any sense out of, but seem to include a few sun-symbols.

Besides the two chests a number of goblets, rings, necklaces and other jewellery have been brought aboard, each item made of solid gold and intricately decorated. Each item worth a fortune...

By the time Roughneck has got his suit off and the others have emerged from the decompression chamber, Mrs Morgan and Mr Chang have also come into the hall and are both admiring the find.

"More than two centuries in the water, and still in perfect condition... Amazing!"

Entranced by the beauty of their finds, Bethany studies the two chests intently, but is afraid to touch them, both out of practical caution and almost superstitious dread.

Quite marvelous! Is anyone onboard an expert at deciphering such symbols?

Supremely happy to be out of his suit(and the water), Roughneck seems almost back to his normal self by the time the others come to look at the chest. Stopping behind Bethany, he lets out a slow whistle. "Quite a bit of swag, there. Don't suppose we get to keep any souvenirs?" He winks at Ms. Morgan.

Fresh out of the decompression chamber, the Captain has a quick glance at the 'loot', then grins at his fellow divers ::biggrin ,

"Well - that went smoother than I'd have imagined. If they're just going t' send th' one zombie they might as well not bother at all - after all, th' horde of undead is traditional."

Turning to his First Mate, Park orders,

"Please see t' it that all th' recovered goods are placed under guard in a secure room, Mr Chang."

Suddenly a playful frown crosses his brow, & he adds,

"And make sure none o' it 'gets lost' this time either, right, Mr Chang..." ::sly

Ruffling his granddaughter's hair, the Captain comments,

"Well done Min", then adds generally, "well done, all o' you. I suggest we all retire for a well earned rest & maybe a glass o' something nice, & have a closer look at th' artifacts once they've been moved t' a safer place."

Quite marvelous! Is anyone onboard an expert at deciphering such symbols?

"Well..." , Mrs Morgan smiles, "I couldn't in all honesty say expert, but I daresay me and David will be able to figure it out together. Don't you agree, David?"

"Quite a bit of swag, there. Don't suppose we get to keep any souvenirs?" He winks at Ms. Morgan.

"I'm afraid not, Roughneck... This will most likely all end up in a museum. But I'm pretty sure I can get you free entrance to the exhibition." ::wink

"Please see t' it that all th' recovered goods are placed under guard in a secure room, Mr Chang."

The first mate snaps to attention and barks out an almost overzealous "Aye, Cap'n!"

Suddenly a playful frown crosses his brow, & he adds,

"And make sure none o' it 'gets lost' this time either, right, Mr Chang..."

The scarred and one-eyed asian gives the captain a slightly confused look ::halo before he replies in a flat, unreadable voice "Right, Cap'n. I'll get right on it, Cap'n."

He then goes about arranging the moving of the 'loot', something the observant bystander might guess he's done more than a few times before...

"Well done Min", then adds generally, "well done, all o' you. I suggest we all retire for a well earned rest & maybe a glass o' something nice, & have a closer look at th' artifacts once they've been moved t' a safer place."

After having had a shower, a rest and maybe a glass or two, the small group assembles in the lounge, more or less aching with anticipation of what the examination of the treasure will bring.

After having had a shower, a rest and maybe a glass or two, the small group assembles in the lounge, more or less aching with anticipation of what the examination of the treasure will bring.

A pint of beer firmly locked in his hand, Roughneck relaxes on one of the couches in the lounge. Dressed in loose pants and cotton shirt, strangely, he's also wearing his battered leather jacket.

Wearing a red and gold Chinese dress of exquisite design, Bethany enters the lounge, glasses perched on her nose, writing with great speed and passion in her reporter's notebook. Without apparently looking where she's going, she deftly navigates the furniture and takes a seat next to Roughneck, her eyes never leaving the page. When she finishes her entry, she closes the notebook on her pencil, slips off her glasses, and sits back with a sigh of immense satisfaction.

Now there's one no one at the Times will ever believe.

She turns to Roughneck, seeming to notice him for the first time.

Well, hello, Sir Robert!

Noticing his pint, she frowns prettily.

What, no drink for me? I am ever so hurt; I just might take iodine.

"Well..." , Mrs Morgan smiles, "I couldn't in all honesty say expert, but I daresay me and David will be able to figure it out together. Don't you agree, David?"

With his eyes fixed on the markings of the chests, he can ocasionally be seen frowning ::hmmm and then cracking a smile ::smile .

"Absolutely! This is quite remarkabe... marred only by the undead ofcoarse ::sneaky2 . But really quite remarkable! ::laugh "

"Well, hello, Sir Robert!"

Noticing his pint, she frowns prettily.

"What, no drink for me? I am ever so hurt; I just might take iodine."

Roughneck grins. "Hello yourself, Miss Benson." Glancing at his mug, he looks back at her, a slightly surprised(and amused) expression on his face. "I'd 've never tagged you as a beer drinker, but I'm happy to share."

Eyeing her appreciatively, he adds, "You look quite lovely tonight."

Having arranged for appropriate security, & checked with Mr Chang on the movements of the other vessel in the area, the Captain arrives at the lounge washed, refreshed, & in a crisp clean uniform.

He gives Beth a smile as he takes-in her dress (half wondering if his First Officer supplied the garment from the plunder... er... 'supplies' he tends to keep around - but thinking better of it ::sly ). To Roughneck he cheerfully comments,

"You seem t' be a natural at th' ol' diving - we'll have t' go out again some time, let y' have a proper look 'round." ::wink

Glass of port in hand, he walks around the artefacts, giving them a quick glance-over, then turns to Mrs Morgan & David,

"So - what's th' expert verdict?"

Roughneck grins. "Hello yourself, Miss Benson." Glancing at his mug, he looks back at her, a slightly surprised(and amused) expression on his face. "I'd 've never tagged you as a beer drinker, but I'm happy to share."

Bethany chuckles.

I'm kidding, Sir Robert, at least a little. Though it does seem like after the adventure we had today, a nice beer would be the drink of choice. Of course, I'll ruin it in typical Yank fashion by having it served cold.

She orders a cold pint of Pilsner, and when it arrives, rubs her hands together in anticipation.

Eyeing her appreciatively, he adds, "You look quite lovely tonight."

She clinks glasses with Roughneck and arches an eyebrow.

Invariably, Sir Robert, invariably.

After a good-sized swallow, she daintly hides a small, ladylike burp.

Excuse me! My, that's good! Now, let us see what our experts have uncovered.

She clinks glasses with Roughneck and arches an eyebrow.

"Invariably, Sir Robert, invariably."

He chuckles, a rich deep sound from his chest. "I imagine so."

After a good-sized swallow, she daintly hides a small, ladylike burp.

"Excuse me! My, that's good! Now, let us see what our experts have uncovered."

Taking a deep draught of his own drink, Roughneck smiles into his cup as she covers her mouth. A satisfied "Ahhh..." escapes, just before he stands. "Right, let's see what they've got."

"What we can tell so far, is the carvings on the chests match those on the rod back at the chapter house, they are clearly Mayan. The small chest requires a great deal more study than the large one. Both seem to be made using the same techniques though the small chest isn't as elaborate as the large one." Taking a moment to phrase what he's about to say, clearly trying to contain his excitement "Without highly advanced scientific testing none of this is certain, but it apears the chests are roughly eight hundred years old! ::bigsmile We are basing this off the hyroglyphics which we believe to belonged to the people of Mayapan, a city of Maya, we believe it is the sarcophagus of one of it's kings!"

Park sighs,

"Ok then, best get it o'er with now - what's th' curse associated with this king? Evil legend perhaps? There's always something along those lines..." ::rolleyes

"Strangely enough Captain, there doesn't seem to be one. The Kings name was Ah Na Hurakan, which roughly translates into Son of Hurakan, Hurakan seems to be the God of storms and weather in general..." Going off on a tangent "Hmmm I wonder if it has any relation to the word hurricane, something to look into, ahhh ::unsure ... Anyway according to the inscription, he was a warrior before becoming a king, he had the support of the priesthood and nobility which he seemed to get from force of arm and will. Not the right man to cross, he was quite ruthless infact.

"Actually I don't beleive the Zombie is the King, to begin with, the clothes are all wrong" David says shrugging.

Bethany took another quick sip of her beer and smiled ruefully.

I think Sir Robert was referring to whomever sent our large unkillable friend after us, which in these waters could unfortunately be Mister Saturday; however, other than possibly the gold, I can't see why Saturday would be interested in the ship.

Suddenly her eyes widened.

Unless for some reason he wanted the remains of Ah Na Hurakan himself, or some item that was supposed to have been buried with him!

Roughneck smiles, arching an eyebrow. "You yankin' my chain? I meant that voodoo bloke. The one who controls the zombies."

"Oh... Well in that case, he could just be after the 'loot', but maybe whatever was in the smaller chest. It has an inscription that is something like 'Gift' or 'Grace of the Stars' and since it is said that Hurakan would hurl lightning and shake the earth against the enemies of Mayapan, possessing that kind of power could be verry tempting. It most likely is nothing but a tale, if it is then he could sell the artefacts, but if it's not... I must apolligise, in my excitement I must have forgot to mention that part, despite it's import, in any event I believe this all falls back to the golden rod. There is a circular hole in the sarcophagus that if, we're right, should acomidate the rod perfectly. I would ask Dash to inspect the sarcophagus for a mechanism but he doesn't seem to be around". ::lookaround

"Ok then, best get it o'er with now - what's th' curse associated with this king? Evil legend perhaps? There's always something along those lines..."

"It's interesting that you should mention that, Captain.", Mrs Morgan says. "The thought struck my mind as well. ::blush Not because I believe in such legends, but most old kings had warnings set up all around their graves and on their coffins and so on, to make sure nobody disturbed their eternal rest. Ah Na Hurakan, it seems, has not only not tried to scare us with curses, but his casket has a keyhole. And, unless I'm much mistaken, the key was kept near his resting place."

Roughneck raises a hand. "Uh...so any ideas why Zombie King is after the loot?"
"Actually I don't beleive the Zombie is the King, to begin with, the clothes are all wrong" David says shrugging.
Roughneck smiles, arching an eyebrow. "You yankin' my chain? I meant that voodoo bloke. The one who controls the zombies."

Smiling at the exchange between the two men, Mrs Morgan raises her voice again. "I think there are three possible reasons. One mystical, one economical, and one political. It may very well be that there are legends about the King, and that Mister Saturday wants 'the loot' because of that. It's also possible that he wants to add to his own treasure chest, but I doubt that. Judging from all I've heard about him, he's got plenty of resources already. The third option, which is the personal theory of our man on Haiti, Steven, is that it's political. He thinks Mister Saturday is forging alliances with other political factions in the Caribbean and Latin America, among them the Maya still living in Mexico. It might be that he intends to exchange this powerful cultural symbol for something that is of equal value to him."

"Or it could be 'D: All of the above.'" Tom adds with a shrug. "Anyway, don't you think we'll find that out when we open the chests?"

The Captain sighs, takes a swig of drink, then says,

"Right. I guess th' next stage is t' unleash th' ancient evil onto an unsuspecting world, correct? Have you boffin types done all you can with th' outsides o' th' boxes? If there's no other way, I'll go & get th' 'rods o' doom'..." ::sly

Park grins at his granddaughter  ,

"Ah, Minow - in my experience it's almost always dangerous t' open th' chests. I guess that's half th' fun. Just stand well back & try not t' get cursed..."

Bethany carefully interposes a couch between herself and the chests....y'know, just in case ::blush

"Yes. Captain, will you get the rods?" Mrs Morgan looks to Park. "Don't worry. I'll open it so you can stand back safely."

Park grins ::biggrin ,

"So then we'd just have t' worry about you getting possessed by th' dead fella's death mask or something. Oh aye, that's ten times better than y' general cursing that is..." ::sly

"Shouldn't we do this above the waves, perhaps in a museum with all the necessary equipment? I'd rather not risk damaging these artefacts, but it's your decision Ms. Morgan, this is your project afterall."

Scratching his beard in thought, the Captain comments,

"Th' lad does have a point there - although if this voodoo fella' is still after th' stuff, then there's no place safer than th' Nausicaa."

“Sorry, I stepped out to get something.” Dash drops a bag of tools on the ground and knees in front of the sarcophagus, “Let’s not rush this, the last thing we need is a bunch of museum heads yelling at us when we get home.” He slowly moves his hand over the sarcophagus, “These things usually have a catch or hole that we can exploit or set off some kind of trap.”

... the last thing we need is a bunch of museum heads yelling at us when we get home...

"I'd say that th' 'last thing we need' is an army o' th' undead walking across th' sea bed t' rip th' Nausicaa & crew limb from limb - or something similar... Still, I guess we all have different priorities in life..." ::rolleyes

Roughneck, who had been idly sipping his beer till now, speaks up. "Well, well. I've got to go with Min on this one. Not setting off any traps in the first place is a grand idea. Seems Dashy here's got it under control, though. 'Sides, curses don't really bother me." Grinning, he walks over to the couch that Bethany dragged in front of her and sits down. Twisting to look back at her, he asks, "You going to stay back there? Perfectly good seat for the show right here." He pats the cushion next to him.

He slowly moves his hand over the sarcophagus, “These things usually have a catch or hole that we can exploit or set off some kind of trap.”

Dash starts examining the larger chest, feeling around for hidden mechanisms, traps and whatnot, but the only unusual thing he finds is, like David and Mrs Morgan before him, a small hole roughly in the centre of the lid and approximately the same diameter as the rods. There might have been some sort of mechanism down there somewhere, but grit and seawater has covered a lot of it, so its hard to examine properly.

Producing an assortment of small hoses, brushes and pieces of wire from his toolbag, Dash goes about cleaning the hole carefully.

"Incidentally, Captain, David...", Mrs Morgan says after having considered the options a few moments, "You're both right. Damage to the artifacts is something we want to avoid, of course, as well as losing them to a madman whose intentions we know nothing of. Except that they're likely to be bad. I agree with you, Captain, that the Nausicaa is probably the safest place from Mr Saturday and his people, and I also believe that it's a safe place to open and explore the chests. After all, all that's needed is careful handling and a controlled environment, and most museums I've been in have worse air moisture and temperature control than this vessel..."

"Traps? what kind of traps? Perhaps the decompression chamber would be a safer place to tamper with them, then?  " David says adjusting his collar.

"But..." ::confused , Tom looks a bit confused at the chests. "Aren't traps like that usually to prevent graverobbers and such from opening the coffin? Unauthorized access, in a way? We have the key, don't we?"

"Well, hopefully we do." Mrs Morgan smiles. "Captain, unless anyone has any further objections, would you get the rods so we can find out if what we have is a key or just an odd-looking sceptre?"

Roughneck, who had been idly sipping his beer till now, speaks up. "Well, well. I've got to go with Min on this one. Not setting off any traps in the first place is a grand idea. Seems Dashy here's got it under control, though. 'Sides, curses don't really bother me." Grinning, he walks over to the couch that Bethany dragged in front of her and sits down. Twisting to look back at her, he asks, "You going to stay back there? Perfectly good seat for the show right here." He pats the cushion next to him.

Bethany colors slightly as she comes out from behind the sofa and takes the offered seat next to Roughneck.

If we both die horribly, I'm going to hold you personally responsible.

She takes out her reporter's notebook and peers over the top of her glasses at the large chest.

"With unswerving courage and firm resolve, I faced the sinister sarcophagus, armed only with my wits and intellect."

After taking in the room and everyone it, Bethany shrugs and picks up her pencil.

Well, close enough.

Mrs Morgan, at least, grabs one of the brushes and starts helping the young academic clean the chests. After a while, she wonders out loud "Maybe we should send a search party for the Captain. ::wink It's a big vessel, but he couldn't have got lost, could he...?"

"Maybe we should send a search party for the Captain.  It's a big vessel, but he couldn't have got lost, could he...?"

"I'm sorry t' say that th' Nausicaa has requirements o' her Captain above & beyond those o' even this august group, dear lady. However, I'm now fully at your disposal." ::wink

The Captain re-enters the room [apparantly unmolested by monkey ninja ::ninja ::tongue ::wink ], with the box that holds the rods, & flanked by a pair of crew-members. Handing the box over to Mrs Morgan, he comments,

"Now, don't feel th' need t' go on a rampage if you're possessed by th' spirit o' an ancient priest-king - that sort o' thing just makes work for us all..." ::sly

Archived