Trinity Universe: The Lost Treasure of Sir Henry Morgan

Asbjørn

Peering at the blinking light, Roughneck mutters to himself for a minute, scratching his head in puzzlement..."Bloody hell, but I hate morse code...lessee...what? That can't be right, Ghost Boat on Beach?" Looking confused, he walks over to stand next to the old captain. "Did they say 'ghost boat', or am I gettin' it wrong?" Putting his hand over his eyes to shade them, Roughneck scans the beach below, looking for any new boats or people.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Park stands & walks to the side of the roof to calmly assess the situation. He glances over to where his own landing-craft is, to make sure the sailors left there have seen the newcomers & / or the message from the Nausicaa (& signals then - with appropriate hand gestures - if they haven't). Placing a hand on his granddaughter's shoulder he quietly praises her,

\"Good girl Min, well spotted.\"

The sailors on the beach don't seem to see the new boat, but they have noticed the signals and are looking for it. After a short while of searching it becomes evident that it is out of both their and the captain's field of vision, probably in a small bay about half a mile south of the villa that they noticed when they came ashore. The sailors by the landing boat look up at their captain, awaiting orders if there are any.

Looking confused, he walks over to stand next to the old captain. \"Did they say 'ghost boat', or am I gettin' it wrong?\"

Minerva looks up at the two men beside her, smiling at her grandfather's praising words. She stops herself from answering Roughneck's question, then asks the captain: \"Chang says the codes should be secret, but it's ok to tell Roughneck, isn't it?\"

Putting his hand over his eyes to shade them, Roughneck scans the beach below, looking for any new boats or people.

The almost completely set sun behind him leaves the hills and beach below the terrace in shadow, but it's still obvious that there's no boats down there, except for the ones that have been there all night and the landing boat.

Thomas joins the others by the railing, saying "It's pretty common to see boats along the beach both north and south of here, actually. Probably just someone fishing or going for a late picnic. Unless you know something I don't..."

\"Chang says the codes should be secret, but it's ok to tell Roughneck, isn't it?\"

Park rubs his hand over his bearded chin in an unconscious gesture as he looks towards where the shore-line vanishes in the direction of the suspected small bay,

\"Sure Min - just remember to kill him if he turns out to be evil...\", his voice is quite deadpan...

\"It's pretty common to see boats along the beach both north and south of here, actually. Probably just someone fishing or going for a late picnic. Unless you know something I don't...\"

The Captain glances at Thomas,

"I assure you that my men are the best - hand picked from the cream the Empire can offer. There's no reason they'd bother me o'er a fishin' boat."

Suddenly the old man appears to make a descision,

"Right then, let's go have a look."

He signals his men by the motor launch to make ready, & heads for the stairs, calling back over his shoulder,

"Chances are this is some nefarious scheme or other. Since they've landed, they'll be headin' for this place, not the Nausicaa - unless there's anythin' else goin' on 'round here? Those wantin' to come with us are welcome." ::sly

He pauses at the head of the stairs & turns slightly,

"Could also be a fishin' boat or folks out on a picnic..."

He winks at Tom ::wink , then heads down the stairs & out towards his waiting launch.

Park rubs his hand over his bearded chin in an unconscious gesture as he looks towards where the shore-line vanishes in the direction of the suspected small bay,

\"Sure Min - just remember to kill him if he turns out to be evil...\", his voice is quite deadpan...

Turning to Roughneck, Minerva explains \"You see, the Nausicaa has got very good eyes and ears, but sometimes there are ships that can hide from her. Mr Chang calls them 'ghosts'. I think somebody on board spotted a boat that Nausicaa can't see, which means there's something fishy about it.\" After a brief moment of thought, she adds. \"I sure hope you're nice... I don't want to kill you. ::blush ::tongue \"

\"Chances are this is some nefarious scheme or other. Since they've landed, they'll be headin' for this place, not the Nausicaa - unless there's anythin' else goin' on 'round here? Those wantin' to come with us are welcome.\" 

He pauses at the head of the stairs & turns slightly,

\"Could also be a fishin' boat or folks out on a picnic...\"

He winks at Tom  ::wink  , then heads down the stairs & out towards his waiting launch.

Tom looks around at the others before he follows, half calling after the Captain "No, there's nothing else of interest. Except for a few good picnic spots... "

I think somebody on board spotted a boat that Nausicaa can't see, which means there's something fishy about it.\" After a brief moment of thought, she adds. \"I sure hope you're nice... I don't want to kill you.  \"

::laugh David laughs at the image that popped in his head of a sprawled out Roughneck with a victorious little Minerva, with her foot on his chest.

Tom looks around at the others before he follows, half calling after the Captain \"No, there's nothing else of interest. Except for a few good picnic spots... \"

David falls in step behind Tom "And I was so looking forward to seeing them, oh well... ::wink ".

With a quick look to Roughneck to see if he's joining them or not, Minerva jogs down the path after the other men.

[On the pier]

The asian sailor, Tranh, is at the wheel aboard the launch with the engine already running when the captain reaches the short pier. The african, Ayo, is still on the pier holding the boat. He salutes the Captain as he approaches. "Ready to go, Captain. We see no movement on land, and the sea is quiet."

"Thankyou Mr Ayo", replies the Captain, stepping into the boat & returning his men's salutes. He waits just long enough for all who are coming along to get on board then barks a quick order,

"Mr Tranh, set sail for the bay half a mile south o' here."

Turning to his newfound companions he asks,

"I take it no-one wanted to guard th' villa then?"

He shrugs, then turns back to the pilot,

"Best speed, Mr Tranh, best speed."

\"Mr Tranh, set sail for the bay half a mile south o' here.\"
\"Best speed, Mr Tranh, best speed.\"

- "Aye aye, Captain!"

As soon as everyone's aboard, Trahn backs away from the pier, turns the boat around and accelerates due south along the coast. Though probably not as fast as the Typhoon speedboat tied to the pier the launch makes good speed, and the passengers quickly find that sitting down is the most comfortable option. A minute or two later the boat comes around the bend, and anyone still standing can see the bay and secluded beach.

About 30 feet from the shore a large speedboat can be seen waiting with its engine running. There are two men in the boat, one of them looking toward the approaching launch. The other is seated by the steering wheel. As the launch glides closer he glances toward the shore as if looking for someone. They seem to be having a short discussion, that abruptly ends with the steady noise of the engine suddenly roaring and the boat accelerating out to sea!

[A little visual input: A model of a 1920s speedboat] IPB Image

\"I take it no-one wanted to guard th' villa then?\"

Stopping abruptly at this comment, Roughneck slaps himself in the forehead. "Bloody...we've left the misses all alone up there! Wait just a bit, I'll go get 'em and bring 'em with us!" Turning, he charges back up the hill to the villa. Stepping through the front door, he calls out in a booming voice. "Ladies, where are you? The good Captain wants to head out to his big fish, you coming?"

...Stepping through the front door, he calls out in a booming voice. \"Ladies, where are you? The good Captain wants to head out to his big fish, you coming?\"

Through an open door in the hallway Roughneck can hear Mrs Morgan's voice still on the phone. "...so you're sure? OK. No, wait a second, Steven." - Raising her voice and calling out to Roughneck - "Just a minute! I'm still on the phone!"

Lowering his voice to a more normal level, Roughneck calls back, "Right then! Just say when."

With nothing to do till she's off the phone, Roughneck spends the next few minutes wandering about the house, keeping a sharp eye for any intruders.

[Nice visual! ::biggrin ::cool ]

Park quickly assesses the relative power of his own boat & the speedboat...

... presuming that the speedboat easily outpaces the launch, he directs Mr Tranh to land at the bay.

... if by some stroke of luck (or engineering) he happens to think the launch can overtake the speedboat, he directs Mr Tranh after it, & shouts a hail as soon as they're close enough.

Cody had been driving all day and now was getting very tiered. He had spent the last hour trying to find the right villa, but that was proving to be harder then he had thought it was going to be. Driving up to the last house he sees a lot people running around and to boats preparing to launch. Getting out of his car he sees Tom, “Tom! Hey it’s me Dash, what’s going on here?” He looks around, “Are you all leaving now?”

[in the bay]

... if by some stroke of luck (or engineering) he happens to think the launch can overtake the speedboat, he directs Mr Tranh after it, & shouts a hail as soon as they're close enough.

Actually, by a stroke of geography, Park quickly calculates, and the fact that his launch is already running at speed, they might be able to cut the faster boat off. The speedboat is far enough from the opening of the rather deep and narrow bay, and so he quickly orders Mr Tranh to move to cut them off.

Giving the launch full throttle, Tranh breaks slightly to port and everybody aboard brace themselves as the sudden burst of speed push them backwards. The driver of the speedboat does the same thing, and as the two vessels come closer to each other the gap between the launch and land becomes smaller and smaller...

At the last moment the speedboat breaks hard to port, cutting dangerously close to the launch and trying to get out of the bay behind it!

[At the Villa]

Cody is indeed tired and fed up with driving and wrong turns, but the villa he's found looks to be the right one. He drives up in front of the house and parks his car. He doesn't see anyone he knows, though (the house being a short way from the beach, and blocking Cody's view of the ocean).

However, he does spot a giant of a man he knows he's seen in the papers on a second floor balcony.

Presumably now close enough for his powerful voice to be heard by the crew of the other vessel the Captain stands (bracing himself so as not to fall out of the launch with any sudden motions - after all, he's more at home on the water than on land), cups his hands into a makeshift megaphone, & calls,

"Ahoy there! We just want to talk! What business have you in these parts?!"

[in the bay]

The men in the speedboat give no reply, and as the two boats pass each other they both rock enough that even the captain has to hold the railing to stand. He has to admire the boat's pilot, though. The dangerous maneuver is excellently performed, and the only damage to either boat or crew is the splash of seawater washing over everybody.

When the speedboat has passed Mr Tranh turns the launch around without losing speed, and moves to pursue. As he completes the turn the speedboat already has a good head start, and he yells over his shoulder "We can't keep up with him, Captain. Break off?"

[At the villa]

As Cody gets out of the car and Roughneck is on the balcony overlooking the garden, they both hear a sudden rustle among the bushes. When they turn to look they see nothing moving except a single palm tree swaying in the still and silent evening air.

Hearing the sound in the bushes, Roughneck's ears perk. *Eh? What's that?* Turning his head slightly to look and seeing nothing, he shrugs and pretends to be unconcerned. His instincts as a solider, however, have set off alarm bells in his head. Stretching languidly, he walks back inside, taking off his heavy leather jacket and draping it over his thick forearm. Alert for danger, he maintains a calm, almost bored, facade as he heads towards where he left Ms. Morgan.

Walking through the hallway with all his senses on alert Roughneck listens and looks for any sign of an intruder, with no luck. The only sounds in the house are Mrs Morgan on the phone and a record playing somewhere downstairs. Nothing he sees or hears indicates that this is anything but an idyllic summer night.

But as he turns around a corner, there's something wrong. Out of nowhere there's a veritable shower of dust falling from the ceiling, which makes him sneeze violently and blurring his vision for a moment. As he wipes his eyes and looks up he sees a black clad figure holding himself up with his feet against one wall and one hand against the other. In his other hand he's got a small blowpipe which he quickly fastens to his arm. Seeing Roughneck turn, he drops from the high ceiling and lands in a fighting stance on the floor a few yards from Roughneck, one hand drawing a wicked-looking blade from its sheath on his leg. His face is half hidden by the black mask he's wearing, but his mouth can be seen smiling as he says:

"You know... you were supposed to be knocked out by now." - he shrugs - "Oh, well... looks like I'll have to do it the oldfashioned way instead. I'm looking forward to it... " ::sly

Ignoring the dust on his face, Roughneck smiles in anticipation, baring his teeth at this foe. "Right. Mate, you chose the wrong bloke to tangle with."

Jacket still draped over one arm, Roughneck lowers it, seeming to drop the heavy garment to the floor before the fight begins. It's a ruse. Suddenly whipping his arm forward, he flings the thick leather at his attacker's face, trying to obscure his vision. Stepping quickly, following the impetus of the jacket, Roughneck hurls himself at the intruder, trying to pin the man's knife hand(and the rest of him) against the wall.

\"We can't keep up with him, Captain. Break off?\"

"Right you are, Mr Tranh," replies the Captain, "turn her around & head for the bay."

By means of explanation he says the the others in the boat,

"May'haps we can find what they were looking or waiting for. If not, we can at least see if it's possible to get to th' villa from there."

Remaining standing, he rubs one hand over his beard & looks deep in thought for a few moments, then adds,

"We all got a good look at the crew o' that boat. We know their pilot was a skilled man, & probably known as such where'er he's from. They didn't make any agressive moves or brandish any weapons, so we still don't know their intent. Mayhap we just scarred 'em off, & their business was innocent - but I wouldn't be betting on it." ::sly

[in the villa]

Easily sidestepping the jacket, the intruder throws himself sideways under Roughnecks outstretched arm and hits the floor rolling to his feet behind him. It's a narrow escape, but an escape nonetheless. As Roughneck turns around to face him the masked stranger is waiting for him again, this time with an open stretch of hallway behind him. His tone is mocking when he says:

"Is that the best you can do?"

[in the bay]

\"Right you are, Mr Tranh,\" replies the Captain, \"turn her around & head for the bay.\"

- "Aye aye, Captain!"

Letting the launch slow down a little Mr Tranh brings it around full circle and sets course for the bay. The launch goes deeper than the speedboat, and about ten yards from the shore the keel scrapes against the bottom and he stops the engines.

There's a rather idyllic beach hidden and secluded by palmtrees. Someone has built a fireplace there recently. There is still dry firewood next to it, and there seems to be some food remains thrown into the fire before whoever used it put it out. A winding path goes from the beach and uphill among the palmtrees. Tom points to it and says: "That path goes up to the road, but it's no problem to break off it and head for the villa instead. Should we go ashore and look around?"

\"... Should we go ashore and look around?\"

"Well", replies the Captain, "since we came this far it'd be rude not to." ::wink

He then jumps into the shallow water & wades quickly up onto the beach. Looking around he suggests,

"Check the fire, see how long it's been there if y'can. Have a look at the remains in it, see if they can be placed as local or not. Look for tracks, or anything else of interest."

Turning to his granddaughter he points to where the path winds uphill,

"Min, check that path, but don't go too far."

Orders (or, to those who aren't crew members, 'suggestions') given, Park proceeds to examine the fire & generally have a good look around.

Following the captain ashore, Tom goes with him over to the fireplace. Checking the remains they see a half-eaten chicken, some poured out coffee to put out the fire, and a handful of cigarette butts.

- "Looks like someone suddenly was in a hurry to leave this place..." He kneels down to pick up a cigarette, studying it carefully. "This is definitely not an american brand, but I don't know where it's from." He shows it to the captain, who doesn't recognize it either.

Looking around the beach reveals little evidence to what the men in the boat were doing there. The arrival of the Nausicaa will not have been visible from the beach, but something has obviously made them prepare to leave in a hurry.

Minerva heads up the path, disappearing out of sight somewhere up the hill. After being gone a bit longer than the Captain is comfortable with she returns with a bright smile on her face. "There's a fence up there, and I could see the villa on the other side. There were footprints leading up to the fence and continuing on the other side, as if someone jumped over."

\"Is that the best you can do?\"

If anything, Roughneck's grin gets even bigger. "Naaah. Just testin' your reflexes." Now aware of how nimble his foe is, Roughneck advances slowly, his fists up in a boxing stance. When the opportunity arises, he throws a hard left jab...and kicks the man in the groin simultaneously. ::blink

"Good girl Min," says the Captain ::bigsmile , "Fresh prints were they? Just th' one set leading th' one way?"

Turning to Tom the ol' sea dog suggests,

"Wrap up those butts in a handkerchief & bring 'em along, they might provide more evidence later."

Thinking for a few moments he goes on to say,

"Me & th' lads'll take the launch back to th' villa. The rest o' you head up th' path. That way we may be able to catch th' fellow who made those prints."

With that he heads back out to the waiting boat.

\"Me & th' lads'll take the launch back to th' villa. The rest o' you head up th' path. That way we may be able to catch th' fellow who made those prints.\"

David nods in reply "Come along then, Tom..." he turns to head out and sighs to himself "wish I thought to bring my gear with me, oh well..." ::sarcasm .

[in the villa]

Slowly advancing like the professional fighter he is, Roughneck keeps an eye out for any sudden movements his adversary might throw at him. Feinting a punch to the intruder's face makes him sidestep the perceived attack, turning just enough to make the devastating groin kick hit his thigh instead. The sheer force of the kick knocks him off his feet and he scrambles backward down the hall putting a little distance between himself and the giant englishman before he flips to his feet. His landing is light, but he's favoring his other leg as he advances on Roughneck. And he's not smiling anymore. ::angry

The blade in his hand is weaving a dangerous and unpredictable pattern, blocking Roughneck from reaching him. Suddenly he lashes out, the blade cutting across Roughneck's abdomen. He jumps back, of course, but too late... The blade cuts through both shirt and flesh, leaving a bleeding wound across his stomach. The blade immediately returns to the weaving pattern, splattering a small spray of english noble blood on the wall. Grinning, the intruder advances toward Roughneck again... ::devil

[On the beach]

\"Good girl Min,\" says the Captain  , \"Fresh prints were they? Just th' one set leading th' one way?\"

Min looks a little uncertain, but nods and says: "Yes. Just one set, one way. I think... I can show you."

She goes with Tom and David up the path, leading them to the fence. "Here it is", she says, pointing to a point on the ground. Looking closely Dave and Tom, neither being experienced trackers, agree that it does look like someone stood facing the fence and jumped, landing at a point on the other side were similar tracks can be seen.

Tom climbs over, followed by Minerva. Following the faint tracks uphill to the house, the group soon reaches the small grove of palmtrees beside the parking lot. Looking up at the house, they see no sign of the intruder. However, they hear Ms Morgan's voice through an open window: "Mr Hawkshaw? What's going on...?"

[in the launch]

Meanwhile, the captain has gone back to the launch. Taking his orders, and bringing whatever instructions he has for Mr Chang, the sailors bring him back to the pier.

The blade in his hand is weaving a dangerous and unpredictable pattern, blocking Roughneck from reaching him. Suddenly he lashes out, the blade cutting across Roughneck's abdomen. He jumps back, of course, but too late... The blade cuts through both shirt and flesh, leaving a bleeding wound across his stomach. The blade immediately returns to the weaving pattern, splattering a small spray of english noble blood on the wall. Grinning, the intruder advances toward Roughneck again... 

Through force of will, Roughneck maintains his smile, ignoring the pain. An almost feral light sparks in his eyes as he notes the blood seeping from his abdomen. "Very nice, matey. First blood to you. It's last blood as matters though."

A maniacal grin set on his lips, Roughneck advances. Watching his enemy closely, he stalks the black-clad man, waiting for an opening...then pounces! His massive fist arcs through the air, a Piledriver of a blow aiming for his opponents injured leg!

The Captain orders the launch to stay at the pier for now. Mr Tranh & Mr Ayo he tells to stay with the boat, & to signal the Nausicaa with a message about the fleeing speedboat (& to keep their eyes out for trouble - as always). He then heads up to the house, looking around for the usual suspicious sorts he's come to expect in these situations...

A maniacal grin set on his lips, Roughneck advances. Watching his enemy closely, he stalks the black-clad man, waiting for an opening...then pounces! His massive fist arcs through the air, a Piledriver of a blow aiming for his opponents injured leg!

Seeing the blade go high Roughneck drops to one knee, his sledgehammer fist aimed for the stranger's thigh. Seeing the punch coming his agile opponent leaps over it, vaulting over Roughneck's massive shoulders and landing somewhat awkwardly on the floor behind him.

Turning quickly to face his opponent again, Roughneck is already yards behind as the intruder runs down the hallway, limping slightly.

Turning quickly to face his opponent again, Roughneck is already yards behind as the intruder runs down the hallway, limping slightly.

Roaring in frustration, Roughneck gives chase, blood streaming from his wound onto the floor. "Come back 'ere, you miserable blighter!"

Cody had watch the exchange between Roughneck and the intruder from his vantage point at the end of the hall. Since he was not much of a fighter he tried to stay hidden around the corner. When the masked man started limping down the hallway in his direction, Cody grab a piece of wood laying around and stood ready to put his lights out.

[inside]

After having wandered into the house and not being noticed by anyone, Cody peers around the corner and spots Roughneck and the black clad man fighting. When the masked man comes running towards him he looks around hurriedly, discovering to his disappointment that this villa is way too tidy to have pieces of wood lying around. He does however find an ornamental stick of some kind hanging on the wall and just waiting to be used. He takes it down, waits behind the corner for the right moment, and swings!

The improvised club lashes out and hits thin air as the stranger throws himself backwards to avoid the blow. Stopping the fall with his hands he flips himself to his feet again just a fraction of a second too late to avoid the foe who comes thundering up behind him. Throwing himself on top of the intruder, Roughneck comes down hard on him, pinning him to the floor. The impact momentarily knocks the breath out of the masked man, but he still has both his arms free and the will to use them...

[Outside]

Running ahead and ignoring Min's mutterings that she can keep up with anyone, David reaches the house. Looking up at the villa, he spots a stationary shadow on the roof that wasn't there when he arrived earlier...

Heaving a sigh of relief, Roughneck carefully picks up the bloody blade. Keeping a wary eye on his opponent, he cuts the man's clothing into strips, and binds him tightly. After trussing the intruder, he searches for any other possible weapons, removing them and making a pile on the floor. Once his tasks are complete, he cuts yet another strip from the man's clothing, using it as a bandage for his own wound.

That done, he calls out. "Ms. Morgan? I've dealt with your little pest problem!"

The man's black clothing seems to be a lot more sturdy than it looks, but a few minutes of cutting and ripping it the Roughneck way does the trick. After removing inlays of metal and leather he's left with strips and shreds of clothing that are suitable for tying the intruder up. Having done so, he proceeds to bandage his own wound, and pretty soon realizes the futility of his efforts. It's not bleeding too bad, but the bandage he tries to put on to stop the bleeding just doesn't seem to fit properly... That's what medics and doctors are for.

On the intruders person he finds a couple of smaller blades, more vials and pouches with suspicious-looking powders, a garrotte, lockpicks, a stetoscope and a climbing rope complete with a hook on the end. The most curious item he's got on him is a leather cylinder about a foot long. Unscrewing the top, roughneck finds that it contains a smooth golden rod about half an inch diameter with a something like a walking stick knob on the end. The rod is decorated with what Roughneck would guess are indian patterns of some sort.

Meanwhile Cody runs through the hallways looking for Ms Morgan. He finds her in the study, where she's just found a pistol and is headed out the door. Smiling briefly at him she says "Nice to meet you, Mr Quill. Let's take the pleasantries later, shall we? Where's Roughneck?" Then she follows him back down the hall to where the briton is busy trying to bandage his own wound.

At the same time the captain, having seen nothing out of the ordinary on his way, has reached the house, which appears to be pretty quiet. On the other side of the villa Tom and Minerva have caught up with David. Stopping beside him, Tom says "Seen anyone?"

Archived