[OpNet] Nova Art and Censorship

Whass up y'all? I'm comin to you live from the big island, where old Lucious is feelin a bit irate because my new chip with Quantum Boom is gettin held back because of controversial lyrics. My question to y'all: Do you see anything wrong with this?

"I am the boogie man that lives in your walls. Your windows tell me that your white daughter is thinking about my chocolate salty balls."

or

"With my two fat gats I'll pop a cap in your white ass. If your heart ain't burnin with revolution, then I'll lay it down in your node with evolution."

to finish off my point, if the quantum that's burnin through my brain allows me to express myself in ways that are beyond your means of understanding, then why should some white mans law be able to opress my Quantum Boom chip?

As far as I was aware, censorship is just plain wrong in the ole US of A. If people don't like your lyrics, they don't have buy your product. That simple.

Let me get this straight, people are going after your work because of implied sub-racial intercourse? That is pretty insane. To get upset because people with a different skin pigmentations want to share themselves, is rather petty and pointless.

On the other hand, people will always find a reason to hate another group. People kill each other ove religious differences, tribal politics, ethnic background, etc. Hate is easy. Figuring how to get along is the tough part.

Mr. Clay, I understand what you are going through, several aspects of my personality were men or women of color who experienced the strong hand of the man.

Now, you don't know me, but I think I can help you out. Just tell your lawyer to cite the following cases and you'll get past any restraint you've been experiencing. In combination they provide enough precedent for you to be able to get away with anything short of threatening to cornhole the president.

Mefistofoleez v. WalMart

Helltowne Posse v. SKG Inc.

Labia of Hidden Doom v. City of New York

Mal'Icious v. Hapsburgh

Good luck!

Yeah, well can you tell me what's so offensive about this particular bit:

from the song "Lolita"

-"I'll tell you straight, the best thing about a preteen girl grippin on your tip is that their tiny little hands make it look thick"

If you can't see what makes it offensive to some people, then I doubt anyone can explain it to you.

In context it might be part of something wonderful and beautiful.

Out of context, well, I can see the D-Notices coming already.

I don't know, extending that middle finger to the world and telling everyone to go fuck themselves has a bit of that Hallmark sentiment, don't you think ?

Nothing wrong with offending people. Hell, I do it all the time.

Just don't be surprised if some of the people you offend decide to do something about it. It's a free world and all that...

I took the opportunity to listen to "The adventures of Captain Cornhole." Then I ran an analysis on it. The base range from 75 to 100 Hz seems to have a random phase shift of 7 to 19 percent. Is this intentional?

Please forgive the naivete of my question, I don't normally listen to Novox. It distracts me. I can listen to two or three baseline recordings at once and have it be backround noise to my work, but something about Novox demands my full attention.

I like Alejandra best.

Lucious,

You're with Quantum Boom, right? That's Mefistopholeeeeez's group, isn't it? His group is censoring you? Maybe censoring isn't the correct word? Refusing to release your chips unless you alter some of the content?

My advice to you is this: start your own company. You worked with T2M in the past, so I figure you must have enough funds to start a small operation. If the only people you have producing your music work for you, they can't tell you what you can and can create.

Distribution, on the other hand, is a tricky thing. There are no laws governing what product a store MUST stock. Businesses are not obligated to carry your music if the owners find it offensive.

Maybe trying to work with Quantum Boom is the answer. Most of their stuff is pretty controversial anyway.

Censorship is a very tricky issue to deal with. My understanding of art has always been that it added something to society. Perhaps I am too old fashioned, however, I find very little of artistic value in a song about "Cornholing the President."

What exact message are you attempting to send to people with such a song?

Atwight, I don't personaly agree with most of Lucious' works, but I like to live by the old adage: Freedoms are easy to give up, but hard to get back.

I don't like giving an inch on the whole censorship thing, or any of the personal freedoms for that matter. It is one of my paranoia tick marks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ashnod:
Lucious,

My advice to you is this: start your own company. You worked with T2M in the past, so I figure you must have enough funds to start a small operation. If the only people you have producing your music work for you, they can't tell you what you can and can create.

Distribution, on the other hand, is a tricky thing. There are no laws governing what product a store MUST stock. Businesses are not obligated to carry your music if the owners find it offensive.

Another possibility is to sell content over the OpNet. Put together a site with those visual components most likely to appeal to your target markt and get links to it from sites where your targt market is likely to hang out. Hire someone to advertise your site rabidly. Then all you need to do is let your server get their debit card number to let them down load your latest and greatest into their MP4 player.

Minimal overhead. No middle-man.

btw, what is meant by "fisting?" -again, I don't often listen to this type of music...

Jager, my comments are not about censorship, but of self governance. Asking yourself why I feel the need to create such a song.

If there is a particular message in a song about cornholing the president, than fine, I may not like it, but I can at least accept it has a purpose and the artist should fight the label's refusal to release it. If, on the other hand, the purpose of said song is only to be rude, ignorant, and shocking, than perhaps the "artist" should be ready to accept rejection by those in control of the industry. I have found in my own work that some things are better left unshared with others, regardless of my artistic vision.

I know this sem very prudish and not a fair assesment on my part. I'm just tired of being assulted by trash every time I turn on the radio or televison.

The best thing that can be said about the music industry is that it is an industry. Its primary motivation is to make money. If what the send out is rude, crude or offensive, they don't care unless it gets them suied.

If an artist wants to sell total crap, that's their business. I hope no one buys it and the sucker starves, but that's just me.

Let each person censor their own content and live with those decisions.

Really Hazzard, is that the limit of your imagination? And you areso creative when killing those weaker than you.

[This message has been edited by Atwight (edited 06-13-2001).]

Hey wizard, you asked about fisting?

Well its gross, so those with weak stomachs might want to skip this.

Fisting is when a person shoves their fist (and often their whole forearm) inside another person. Usually this is in the ass, but I have heard that is can be performed on a womans genitals as well. How on earth anyone could enjoy this is beyond me, but to each their own I guess.

Sorry for the rudeness, but the question was asked...

All I'm sayin, is you all need to get off the opnet and get yourself some booty. If all you got to talk about right now is fistin, then you got some serious problems, even as dumb as you all think Lucious Clay is, I don't need no one to explain to me what fisting is. Or for that matter, feltching, rimming, snowballing, waterworks or what the LD is. So maybe I ain't so poor and uneducated as y'all might think.