. . .the matrix has you. . .

Defender

Greetings all,

For the longest time I've been fishing for a cool idea for a play-by-post forum game and after seeing a certain film for the second time it finally hit me. ::bigsmile

What I'm hoping for is to assemble a crew for the Odysseus, a ship in the human resistance force in the neverending battle against the machines. Ideally it'd be a 3 to 7 person crew (some Operatives to enter the Matrix and the Operator, Pilots, etc). The game will be set between The Matrix and Reloaded, allowing some room between the overall Metaplot established by the Wachowskis.

One of the coolest things is that we all have keen Matrix-esque codenames already established. The option exists for you to build a character based on your alias here on EON or one from scratch.

So what do you guys think? Good idea, bad idea? What would you like to see in such a game?

-Def.

That's the coolest idea ever Def; you're totally my hero now. What system would we be using?

We'd have to alter it a bit no matter what we use. For example, the operator can upload instant master of any ability into a person's brain for use in the Matrix. We might limit that to 15 ability dots for free at any time while in the Matrix, that can be shifted by the operator however he wants. Also, maybe a single dot in megadex for free for all players while in the Matrix. (Neo, of course, would have like all physical megaatts 5, hyperflight, and Absorb (programs), but let's not drag him into this. Dues ex machina would take on a whole new meaning. (What a pun!) Any other ideas?

You know, I've got a friend who lives and breathes the Matrix, I think I'll try to drag her into this as well.

I don't think I'll use Phoenix as my code name; Raven (my alias on other boards) might work better. Sounds more Matrixesque.

In the computer game Enter the Matrix the special abilities the Operatives (my term for the jack-in capable members of the Resistance) have an ability called Focus. I was thinking of perhaps cobbling the Trinity/Adventure/Aberrant rules to represent Focus. Perhaps a sub-power of Focus could be a Jack of All Trades ability or somesuch. I'm afraid I'm not what you'd call a rules jockey. I'm more an broad canvas idea man. But I'm glad you like it. ::bigsmile

-Def.

I'm not a rules jockey either; but I think have focus work like psi, except all you can do with it is activate megadex 1 or 2 for a scene. That plus what I said earlier about abilities. But still, I'm anything but a rules guru.. Can you do anything else with Focus in the video game? And about how much of it do you have access to?

In Enter the Matrix, Focus is used to allow you to accomplish all those superhuman feats you see the characters do in the films. Dodging bullets (not while standing still like Neo, but on the move), superhuman leaps, running along walls, and moving at superhuman speeds. Focus also adds power to your martial arts moves. Focus is a pool of power that drains from 100% down to 0, though it does regenerate albeit slowly when you're on the move and faster when you've got some cover. Focus can also slowly raise your health if it's gotten low.

-Def.

Hmm.. Yeah, megadex accounts for all of that except the minor regen, which I propose we pretend doesn't exist (or give players access to the Regen enhancement but make them fuel it with psi/focus without adjusting the rates ::devil )

*chuckles* Dude. . .self-control. ::blush

All right, I'll pencil you in as Player 1.

Grrr. . .Chloe, any level with Agent Smith makes my teeth grind. He's just annoying. Any tips on how to escape on the rooftop levels after you clear the high rise?

Phoenix, I like your thoughts. Healing should come at an increased cost, restoring health levels at a big cost of Focus.

An idea I've been toying with is tinkering a bit with setting. Focus would be like Psi/Quantum/Inspiration, in a category from one to ten. I'd like 5-8 to be the average to maximum, with 9 and 10 reserved for the levels of the One. However, having Neo be the end all to be all of the setting does kind of take away from individual achievement (what works for cinema isn't always best for rpgs) so what I'd like is for there to be rumors that some--not many, but some--Operatives have attained levels comparable to the One. . .that perhaps Neo more than just a messiah. . .but rather the first of a new breed of human who can manipulate the Matrix. . .of course, this is but a rumor. . .

Just some random musings. ::tongue

-Def.

However, having Neo be the end all to be all of the setting does kind of take away from individual achievement (what works for cinema isn't always best for rpgs) so what I'd like is for there to be rumors that some--not many, but some--Operatives have attained levels comparable to the One. . .that perhaps Neo more than just a messiah. . .but rather the first of a new breed of human who can manipulate the Matrix. . .of course, this is but a rumor. . .

Hmm.. seems unlikely that it would be anything but a rumor. First of all, they'd probably become as famous as Neo quickly, because their operators would find out as well, among others. I think we could probably manage a plot that didn't revolve around him.

Side note: Trinity means three, the Virus Twins are the two, and Neo is the One. Anyone else find this weird?

Ok let's start with interesting names.....

Neo: means new, this gives hints that this One is different & there are lots of things you can draw from the concept of him a the herald of new age. Also his "birth name" was Thomas Anderson, which means Thomas the son of Andrew. Both were disciples of Christ. Also, Thomas was the one who doubted Christ. Neo sure did a lot of doubting about being the one.

Trinity: Her name has to refer to the idea of Morpheus, Trinity, & Neo as the freeminds that will save humanity. Also trinity means "tri-unity" which gives the clue that all 3 will work together to save us.

Morpheus: was the greek god of sleep & dreams. Fits considering his waking dream speech to Neo & that he was the one waking everyone up.

Seraph: The seraphim as suppose to be the highest order of angels that minister to God Himself. Interesting clues as to just what kind of access that AI has in the digital world.

The Merovingian: The Merovingians were a Frankish dynasty that were overthrown by the ancestors of the Charlemagne. This sheds some interesting light on this very old program. How he was pushed out & become an exile & an information broker.

There are so many little clues in the movies.

As to the whole power level thing.....I don't want to be the One. I would just like to get to Morpheus level.

I'd definitely be interested in playing some sort of Matrix-y game. Unfortunately, the only rules I'm really familiar with would be Aberrant, so if we used anything else, I'd need some coaching.

And I have no idea what I'd call my character. :)

Matt

Grrr. . .Chloe, any level with Agent Smith makes my teeth grind. He's just annoying. Any tips on how to escape on the rooftop levels after you clear the high rise?

Not quite sure where you mean... haven't played it in a while, it's exam time! In a few hours infact! ::unsure

If it's a level involving Agent Smith then just "Run. Run your a$$ off." I believe the phrase is. ::biggrin Agents can be dropped quite easily but get up again, if it's Smith then don't try to fight! It'd be very one sided and quite short...

Of no help at all! ::tongue You knew that already right? ::tongue

Chloe

Archived