Aberrant RPG - Why people don't like Aberrant?

Why?

Some people see it as another superhero game and would rather play other genres. They don't see it as a game questioning what it is to be human vs. transhuman. Or what, if any, responsiblities humans and transhumans have towards each other. They see only KEWL world destroying powers.

Others like the game but are uncomfortable in the highly structured meta-plot. They feel as if there is only one 'right' way to proceed towards the future. This leads to frustration and a sense of being trapped.

Or so I've heard anyway. Me? I like the game and have a ball with it.

I aree with you. I can't understand why this game isn't selling big right now. With the X-men movie and Spider-man one on the way you'd think that a super hero game would be selling great.

I don't know how many other super hero games are out on the market right now but I really wished that white-wolf would put some more stuff out for it.

Argent, I'd have to agree with you on that one. In brand marketing doesn't really help when you are trying to market a 'superhero' game to a bunch of angst hungry vamp and wolfy players. You might get some cross polination interest, but not much.

Maybe some ads in Wizard, Analog, something with a wider spectrum of interest that would have had some impact on the sales. I mean hell, with Adventure they have stories in there by on of the hot comic book writers of all time and they still didn't advertise outside of the back pages of other WW material.

People don't hate Aberrant, they don't know about it. If they hated it at least they would talk about it, getting the name out there and bandied about. Ignorance is what killed it.

• 2 weeks later...

Part of Aberrant's problem, $$$ wise, is that it doesn't nab the moron gamers. Aberrant is probably better called the thinking man's superhero game. It doesn't have to be about superheroes and "senses shattering" powers if it doesn't want to be. But being a fan of the X-Men or Spider-Man movies doesn't equal an Aberrant player. Neither of those films - hell those TITLES - have ever had much in the way of intelligent drama. Aberrant is simply too brainy - or at least has the capacity for it. Lord knows you could Aberrant like an X-Men rag. (Of course, why would you do that?)

Marketing is definitely key, but there's no way Aberrant could really sell to the majority of the comic book crowd. And it hasn't. It's too smart. Does that mean people hate it? Doubtful. But they certainly don't get it.

D effin W

Archived