Aberrant: Quantum Zero - QZ - game mechanics

Asbjørn

Thanks for all the input guys, lots of valid & interesting opinions there. A lot of this stuff comes down to poorly worded rules by good ol' WW - the sort of stuff that's always done better in a second edition. Pity we'll never see one...

I can see the arguments for multiple simultaneous uses of Maintenance powers, & in another game I might choose to do it this way, but here I've decided to go with option "A". This is for a couple of reasons: I feel all Maintenance powers should be dealt with the same way, with the same bonuses or penalties that come with being a Maintenance power - that's for reasons of both game balance & overall fairness. Special effects, how the powers are defined, obviously have an effect, but that's mostly colour - anything that gives a distinct advantage is more than just special effects - so either all Maintenance powers can stack or none can, & I much prefer that none can.

As for whether such powers shut-off if the character is knocked-out, I'll say 'yes they do' to this one as well. This is mostly an arbitrary judgement-call on my part, but is for two reasons - one: it's what tends to happen in most comic-book situations (at least as far as I've read them) - the flying superguy being the obvious example; two - if you had to go as far as killing a guy to stop his powers then there'd be a lot more blood-shed, & less viable options in combat (e.g. if the only way to get my much needed Force Field back on-line is to kill the guy who Disrupted it, then chances are I'm gonna' do just that). As I said, just the choice I've made for this game.

So, to sum up:

Maintenance powers work for the standard duration once a Nova has spent their QP cost to activate them.

A Nova can only manifest each aspect of a Maintenance power singularly, & can't double-up or otherwise 'stack' the power. Most non-suite powers have only a single aspect.

Maintenance powers require the Nova's presence to work - they are a manifestation of continuing power from the Nova, not an independant effect. Therefore the Nova must stay within range of his / her target or the power ceases to effect that target.

A Nova generally only rolls a Maintenance power's dice pool once per activation, even if they then go on to use that power in a variety of ways over the duration of the effect. Some 'control' rolls, & others, may need to be rolled on a case by case basis, but (in general) the power of the effect is set when it is activated.

A Maintenance power is shut-off if the Nova using it is rendered unconscious, incapacitated, or dead. It is not shut off by mere 'stunning' (but a Concentration duration power would be).

So, to take the Disrupt example - the Disruptor rolls his dice pool to establish the level of his disrupting influence when he first activates the power - the target rolls to resist as normal. The Disruptor can only Disrupt a single power on a single target at a time, but can pick & choose which power he effects each round - this does not allow the target additional rolls to resist, & does not incure the cumulative use penalty (since it's the same use of the power). The Disruptor can also move his disrupting influence to a different target (who then gets a standard roll to resist as well), without needing to re-activate or re-roll the power's effect level. The cumulative use penalty only applies if the Disruptor re-rolls the power Vs a previously targeted victim in a single scene (due to a wish for a better roll, the duration ending & the Disruptor failing to maintain the power at the currant level, or whatever). If the Disruptor moves his disrupting influence back to a previously targeted victim during the same use of the power (e.g. if he moves his Disrupt back & forth between two opponents he's facing) he still does not face the cumulative use penalty, since it's all that single, Maintained, use of the power. The target of the Disrupt can escape it's influence by getting beyond the Disruptor's range (beyond normal range the power's effectiveness is reduced - as per the normal extreme range Difficulty penalty, beyond extreme range he escapes the power's influence), by knocking-out / incapacitating / killing the Disruptor, or by just sweating it out till the Disruptor gets bored & goes home (or runs out of QP - whatever comes first...).

Phew...

Well, I'm sure that's 'as clear as mud', but I hope it covers most stuff. Feel free to ask questions.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enhanced Movement: it's a pity that Hypermovement is mentioned in the text, 'cos it is a nasty little potential abuse (one I spotted myself almost immediately upon reading the book - as I'm sure many did). Multiplying the speed / damage / area of the Hypermovement 'sonic boom' attack is far too abusive to be allowed (up to a Mega-Str 30 equivalent sonic boom - which is a continuous attack along the speeding Nova's path, for minimal QP expense, & all possible with a Quantum rating of only 4!).

Although the text does say that Enhanced Movement works with all forms of movement except 'instant' transport & movement-like Techniques, I'd tend to agree with Alex on this one - the Enhanced Movement bonus should only apply to 'combat' speeds, not out-of-combat movement.

Yes, this is different from what I've told a few people in the game, but I was (in my innocence) hoping that no-one would bring the sonic-boom thing up. As it is, I feel it's better to nip this one in the bud & limit Enhanced Movement to 'normal' & not 'out of combat' speeds.

I'm pretty sure it's what I posted before, so mega-dex 5, enh.movement, hypermove 5.

Just did some number crunching, the ubersprinter (M-dex5, enh.movement, Hyper 5) is hitting 2100m per action (turn, 3 seconds) in combat or 700m per second. 700 x 60 =42000 x60 = 2520000m/h or 2520Km/h supersonic in combat!!! 

The more I look at it, the more I say I'm gonna allow it in my future games but I'm gonna put a cap "due to Physics" (lie) that the sonic boom damage effect stops accumulating at 5000Km/h (Mega-strength 10). Plus it's a really fast way of the characters getting to their destiantion but at a risk to the local population so if they do it where there's people then they're gonna be in the shitter.

"If you think it'll help, then go ahead, try it" ::devil

A few points on the enhanced movement issue. First of all I'd say you'd have to have a pretty high MWits (and perhaps perception) to be able to navigate at that kind of speed If you're moving at a few kilometers per second, you aren't gonna be much use in combat without it. Second, the decription in the book states that the enhancement actually is intended for out of combat use ("when you've got to cover the miles to get somewhere"...). Third, flight is not listed among the movement forms that benefit from EM. I always thought that made sense, making enhanced movement more physical-related than quantum-related, but I know you've been running it differently so far.

Since we're changing things on this enhancement, what's your take on this, Prof?

flight is not listed among the movement forms that benefit from EM. I always thought that made sense, making enhanced movement more physical-related than quantum-related, but I know you've been running it differently so far.
No errata...Not unless it's an N!Prime thing...It only applies to walking, running, sprinting, or swimming....Burrowing is apparently out as well  ...

That doesn't make sense. Mega Attributes and Enhancements are quantum related, they just express themselves as enhancement of normal limits. Besides, the Flight dice pool is Dex + Flight.

That doesn't make sense. Mega Attributes and Enhancements are quantum related, they just express themselves as enhancement of normal limits. Besides, the Flight dice pool is Dex + Flight.

Flight, however, would take you well beyond normal limits, I guess...

A better way to look at it I suppose is that since Flight is powered more by quantum than physical action it couldn't be enhanced the same way as the others...

And the jerk question of the day:

From errata on N!Prime:

"Errata" is usually exclusive to official statements from the company; ie, the errata from the APG is official. However, my understanding is that the errata from N!Prime is from a "rough draft" of the errata.

a) Is that a legitimate assumption?

B) Why should I treat errata from the N!Prime as official, or, for that matter, even consider it any better than from any other fansite? (Not trying to necessarily be a jerk; it's just that there really isn't a better phrase it...)

FR

As posted by the NPrime's controller, "Chosen" on WW's web site in response to that question:

Subject: ab) the agg. extra

chosen - 04/17/2003 14:07:56

The Errata on N! Prime is legit in that it did originate from KB, and is not the creation of a fan. It was released on N! Prime a few months before the player's guide was published, so N! Prime's version is an earlier draft. Just remember to always follow the golden rule, and to use what works best for your particular game. While Aberrant's developer did oversee the version on N! Prime, that doesn't mean that it should get the final say on the subject.

As for 'why didn't all of it show up in the APG'?, I put that down to space requirements etc.

This is a Pm I sent to archer, when I was figuring out the numbers for enh.movement hyperspeeds for flight, just incase anyone is interested:

I was wrong about the speed, out of combat it's (Quantum + Flight) x 50 Km/h. since you only need Q4 to have mega-dex 5, top speed before hyper or enh.movement is 450Km/h + 2500Km/h (hyp) x 6... where's that damn calculator? 177000Km/h

In combat it's (power rating x 4) + 40

with hyper 5 (power rating x34) +40

enh.movement x 6

=1260m per action

/3= 420 x 60 = 25200 x60 =1512000

=1512Km/h

out of combat faster, in combat slower hehehe.

Since I'm not sure the exact speed of sound is (like I said before I think it's around 1860), I looked all over the net and in my old encarta encyclopedia and none gave me the number ::dontgetit .

Ok in combat speeds with M-dex 5 + enh.movement with:

Hypermove 1: 792Km/h

Hypermove 2: 1224Km/h

Hypermove 3: 1872Km/h

Hypermove 4: 2088Km/h

Hypermove 5: 2520Km/h

Just got told that speed of sound is 330m/s = 1188Km/h, at sea level it's 340.205555555555m/s = 1,224.74Km/h.

...Yes, Warps can be opened in mid-air, BTW - but can't be moved around]
So... we really don't need that airplane.

A gate opens high in the sky, and Alex drops through.

Another one opens on the ground...

...no, 2 gates on opposite sides of the base, one outside the base and one inside?

To review the plan: Alex goes in first and lands on the communication building. (About a two minute delay between going through and landing). He then heads for the tanks and blows up any fuel depots on his way. His communication and night vision gear might or might not survive the impact.

(After impact) Alloy steps through with Loadstone on one edge of the base. Alloy goes first, then Loadstone who has his defenses up, steps through and raises his storm effect. Alloy then heads for the aircraft.

Ghost and Samurai step through on the opposite side of the base. Ghost snipes and acts as mobile reserve. Guy bounces around and sets bombs.

20 minutes after it starts, it ends, and a gate forms (near the front gate? the back of the complex?) and we leave.

And someone has a camera?

Sounds good to me.

Either Ghost or Samurai should have the camera(s). Ghost would be a better choice, since he can port around for different angles, and he's just providing support.

Alloys gonna be moving mighty quick, so hopefully he'll get the element of surprise.

A gate opens high in the sky, and Alex drops through.

Another one opens on the ground...

...no, 2 gates on opposite sides of the base, one outside the base and one inside?

To review the plan: Alex goes in first and lands on the communication building. (About a two minute delay between going through and landing). He then heads for the tanks and blows up any fuel depots on his way. His communication and night vision gear might or might not survive the impact.

(After impact) Alloy steps through with Loadstone on one edge of the base. Alloy goes first, then Loadstone who has his defenses up, steps through and raises his storm effect. Alloy then heads for the aircraft.

Ghost and Samurai step through on the opposite side of the base. Ghost snipes and acts as mobile reserve. Guy bounces around and sets bombs.

20 minutes after it starts, it ends, and a gate forms (near the front gate? the back of the complex?) and we leave.

And someone has a camera?

Hmm, I'm looking forward to reading this.. sounds like it's going to be a real Kodak moment..

Still wont work around me...Magnetism does wonders on electronic devices and sure as hell is not good for magnetic media (a.k.a. video tapes)

But sounds like a tight plan...hell we might be able to get out in under 20 mins

In 2008 (say, what year is it?) we use digital media. Your powers will prevent the camera from working, and perhaps hose things in temp storage, but I'm sure that we can get CD burners with the camera so you won't actually fry the tapes after they are created.

For that matter, DeVries might have magnetically shielded cameras, or we could even go chemical.

And thanks about the plan. Simple, brutal, and to the point. It could still go wrong, if they are waiting for us, if they have novas, or if our intel is badly wrong.

What say at the last minute we go an hour early?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok...time to vote...should I make the insect girl fall in love with me? So far it is seeming too easy to do it... And if I do im going to lose some dots in followers...but I would have a (insert heigth of insect woman here) high insect woman ride on my shoulder all the time...she could come in handy at times...

Decisions, decisions...

BTW...how do you do the EXP process prof? When do we get the awards?

... should I make the insect girl fall in love with me?..

::laugh ::laugh ::laugh 'make'? It'll be fun to watch you try... ::laugh ::laugh ::laugh

And you can call her Tinkerbell

What? & get sued by Diz-Knee? ::sly ::biggrin

... damn no mohawk emoticon... Harle I have a request for a new emote...

Yeah! A Mr T 'Fool!!!\" scowl ::angry emoticon would rock! ::thumbsup

BTW...how do you do the EXP process prof? When do we get the awards?

Never! Bwahahahahah!!! ::laugh ::devil ::laugh

Oops... sorry... Evil Genius™ flashback... ::wacko

You'll get some XP when a suitable break for downtime comes along.

While we're at it, I'll just mention how pay from DeVries will be working:

You will be able to either use it as an excuse to buy more dots of Resources (& related stuff), or, if you don't wish to spend XP on Resources (or already have plenty), you'll need to post how your character blows his cash. E.g. does he give it all to charity? Go to Vegas & put it all on red (but it comes up black)? Buy a round of Amp Wells for the entire club at the Amp Room? Turn up at the DVNTS base with a brand-new sportscar? Or whatever - if it's not invested (via buying up Resources) it has to go somewhere, right? ::sly

This'll be dealth with at the same time as XP - if the characters live that long... ::devil

... er

... forget that last bit... ::halo

Ok...time to vote...should I make the insect girl fall in love with me?  So far it is seeming too easy to do it...  And if I do im going to lose some dots in followers...but I would have a (insert heigth of insect woman here) high insect woman ride on my shoulder all the time...she could come in handy at times...

She would be an ally (i.e. 2 exp). And I wasn't aware that you had enough Mega-Socials to pull something like that off... although you have made a good start.

Speaking of experience, I suspect that the reason a healer wasn't made available (for those of you who can get hurt ::tongue ) was because we all have a DV backing of zero.

Hey Prof, how much backing do we need to be considered a "real" elite. And at what point to we get access to things like healers? (And how much does DV charge for that?)

Speaking of experience, I suspect that the reason a healer wasn't made available (for those of you who can get hurt  ) was because we all have a DV backing of zero.

Hey Prof, how much backing do we need to be considered a \"real\" elite. And at what point to we get access to things like healers? (And how much does DV charge for that?)

You're right about the healer bit - although Backing would only make it a more available option, rather than an absolute certainty (those guys don't grow on trees after all! Hey, if you believe half the guys on the WW Trinity Universe forum Healing is a 'useless' power - why would any Elite want to take it? ::laugh ::wink ::tongue ).

Being a 'real' Elite is more a matter of having survived a mission or two than actual Backing - if you're talking about peer & public status that is.

The higher your Backing the better 'stuff' you have access to, & that'd include personnel like Nova healers. 'Charges' or costs are partially tied-up in the 'Backing' Background anyway (i.e. you've managed to negotiate a better contract, or something similar), & partially offset by mission payments (one of the things DeVries would deduct as expenses). You'd only really need to worry about additional costs if you wanted 'stuff' for personal use, or were slacking on the successful mission front. Some expensive equipment may cost Resources on top of Backing, but that'd depend on circumstances & how much your Backing exceeded the item's minimum. DeVries is more likely to assign items on a mission-by-mission basis (& deduct their costs from pay if they get trashed) than they are to sell stuff to characters for their own personal use.

As for exact Backing levels, I'll need to have a think about it. In any case, no-one will be allowed to buy-up their DeVries Backing by more than a dot a time, so it may be a moot point just now (although characters can, to a certain extent, 'pool' Backgrounds to greater effect - that doesn't mean the Background dots just add, however).

Archived