Aberrant: Quantum Zero - QZ - game mechanics

Asbjørn

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glacier remembers being told that the reactor converts seawater into plasma, but his reasoning here is that even if the reactor would explode immediately on contact with seawater, there's a good chance that flooding it entirely might just quench the fires and shut down the reactor entirely. And if that can't possibly happen and any exposure to water would cause an explosion, the chamber would most likely be built with multiple layers of reinforcement between the reactor and the ocean itself.

Also, in light of the entire nation of Japan being at stake, Glacier no longer really cares about drowning the baseline crew.

Hey, guys.. I realize I'm holding up about half the QZ storyline right now, but bear with me, please. I've got a major deadline on tuesday that's taking most of my time lately. I'll post as soon as I manage to squeeze it in, but I can't promise anything until next week. Just thought I'd let you know there's a reason I'm slow, and that it's not laziness or lack of interest.

Hey, guys.. I realize I'm holding up about half the QZ storyline right now, but bear with me, please. I've got a major deadline on tuesday that's taking most of my time lately. I'll post as soon as I manage to squeeze it in, but I can't promise anything until next week. Just thought I'd let you know there's a reason I'm slow, and that it's not laziness or lack of interest.

Slacker! ::tongue NP, man. I just got done with school for the semester, and I've a brief break before summer classes which I'm trying to make the most of. Get your important stuff taken care of first.

Okay - so some people may notice a new thread I've started: Quantum Zero - Truth & Justice. I thought it was time to allow people to play the good guys... ::wink

Chargen will be pretty standard - as long as you remember to create a character which will fit in with the Utopian / Team Tomorrow ideal. PU does really detailed background & psychological tests of its people, especially potential members of Team Tomorrow - so no sick & twisted gits just 'pretending' to be good guys, okay? ::sly

So, pretty much my usual chargen rules: standard 30 NP characters, no Merits/Flaws or Strengths/Weaknesses (don't even ask).

This one will have a few Background minimums, specifically:

- Backing [Project Utopia] 1 (the characters start the game as trainees looking to get into Team Tomorrow proper, so all start with 1 Backing - this can go up during play, but can't start any higher - or lower - than 1 dot)

- Eufiber 1 (as T2M trainees characters are issued a eufiber costume - this Background can be taken at more dots, & can be increased during play as a character's eufiber colony 'grows', but 1 dot is the minimum here)

- Resources 3 (even being a T2M trainee pays well - again this is a minimum, you can start with more if your character is independently wealthy, or her action figure just happens to sell really well)

These Backgrounds aren't 'free' - you still have to buy them during chargen.

Apart from Backgrounds T2Mers need to be at least a little photogenic - so no Mega-Ugliness, & no really bad aberrations (& certainly no mental aberrations - at least before play begins). In fact most characters should have an Appearance of at least 3 to be appropriately 'heroic' in looks.

Power-wise pretty much anything goes, but keep in mind that T2M is about more than battling bad guys - disaster relief, evacuations, construction of public projects, & the like all play important roles. A 'Wolverine' who's all claws & attitude won't really fit in well. On that same track - no guns or weapons either: leave that to those psychos over in the Elites thread! ::getsome

If you've got access I'd advise reading up on the T2M code (P. 57 of the Project Utopia book) & related stuff.

Characters will still be in training, but will get to go on missions (mostly in & around Europe) &, on occassion, offer back-up to the 'big league' main Europe Team (where they all aim to wind up some day). On the other hand this ain't Nippontai High - characters should all be adults (if young adults, but older is fine too): this is more 'on the job training' than it is 'school for Novas'.

As presented in the intro' blurb the game's 'base' is 'The Island' - a small, isolated, island off the North coast of Scotland, where the group & their support / training staff get to live in a genuine Scottish castle (refitted with all the latest mod-cons). However, they'll get to pile into their Quinjet-esque transport to jet to wherever the action is at a moment's notice, so they won't be stuck with nothing to do but fish...

So - any questions? Any takers? I'll accept character sheets right away. My prefered format for character sheets is along the lines of:

Strength 5 [strong Grip]

Brawl 2

Might 3

Dexterity 4 [Agile]

Athletics 2

... etc.

Remember to include a points-breakdown for both Bonus Points & Nova Points, & don't forget stuff like Qualities for Attributes of 4 or 5. And please, proof-read the thing & check your numbers before you send it - the more care you guys take, the less mind-blowing stress the whole chargen phase causes me (& the less I feel inclined to start killing off characters in all my other games... ::unsure ::tongue ::wink ).

QZ T2M

Dibs! It'll be cool to go after the terat "villains" and allow me to explore the other side of the coin...

PU does really detailed background & psychological tests of its people, especially potential members of Team Tomorrow - so no sick & twisted gits just 'pretending' to be good guys, okay?

Someone's learned from IPWeT ::wink

During the execution of the Pharaoh, is Blaze completely paralyzed, or does he have a chance to say anything to Mercer?

Ooh... good point... I like it!

Yeah, sure: ol' Akhenaten is still conscious, so yeah Blaze can get in a last cutting quip or two... ::wink

I've added a QZ Downtime-style story in the fiction bit, 'cos it's really too extreme for a public forum (sex, violence, drugs, Satanism...). It's a ReignofEvil.com / Church of Astaroth bit, hence the adult content, which just kinda' ties in with recent events in QZ Elites. Reading it is in no way vital to following the plotlines, so please just ignore it if you're easily offended, or just not interested.

Cheers all.

For the record, Slither doesn't really think anyone is dumb enough to think she's actually some sort of demon; she's just trying to come from as far left field as she can, and pull focus away from what the Stranger is doing.

No, it's not the greatest plan ever, but the arrival of T2M really threw her off ::laugh

For the record, Slither doesn't really think anyone is dumb enough to think she's actually some sort of demon; she's just trying to come from as far left field as she can, and pull focus away from what the Stranger is doing.

No, it's not the greatest plan ever, but the arrival of T2M really threw her off ::laugh

::biggrin At the very least, it will everyone else a sort of WTF?! moment before they start attacking.

Prof, regarding Truth and Justice, I'd like to play, but I'm a bit torn on what to play. I'm assuming this is supposed to be a European team?

I've a couple concepts. One is an American, kind of a Superman/Captain America riff...let's call him Patriot. Flight, super-strength; your standard Paragon. The second is an homage to my old A! character, Roughneck; he's a grandson or great-grandson of that burly Royal Marine, and has followed quite closely in granddad's footsteps. My third idea was a mentalist/telekinetic, and my fourth idea was a sort of glass-cannon blaster....big nasty Q-Bolt.

I'm realllllly leaning towards the Patriot concept...I can switch him to a Euro guy if needed, but I thought it might be funny to have at least one American for the others to pick on.

Re: Americans in Europe...

Project Utopia really doesn't assign Novas as per their lands of origin - it tries to promote a 'citizens of the world' ethos after all. So Americans are fine. That being said, an all-American team would be... weird... to say the least. I know some people find it hard to play 'foreigners', so go with what you're comfortable with, but some Europeans in the mix would seem sensible...

A Captain America / super-patriot type would, however, be out of place: flag-waving is one of the things Utopia is steadfastly against - it's even trying to get Europe to become one big 'unified' nation... (yeah, like that would ever happen... or even be a good idea... those WW writers should visit some time... ::wink ). Captain America would be much more at home as part of America's own NDP team.

But...but...unlike other Utopia Robin Hoods, mine can speak with a British accent?

Classic! ::lol

Archived