Aberrant: Quantum Zero - QZ - game mechanics

Asbjørn

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always assumed there'd be a pick up chopper once we'd taken out the rader - hence the questions on how close to the border it is - and it is supposed to be close to the DMZ. I also assumed that we could jump out of a high altitude transport. But that option was dangled in front of us, but doesn't look like its available any more as Ms Cable seemed to get more and more enamoured with her stealth plane. I'm sure DVNTS is getting a large slice of that 'fee'!!! 

I just went back over what I posted - what Miss Cable said, to check whether I really did mess it up that badly. She said:

\"Approaching via aircraft would have to be a high-altitude venture - flying low over North Korean airspace is never a good idea. DeVries could supply a stealth-capable aircraft for the job, but the costs would need to be taken out of your commissions.\"

She also noted that each of you would have a way of getting down without a parachute. She never said she could supply an aircraft that wasn't concealed, & never got round to discussing exit options before everyone walked off! She did ask what transport you needed, early on, & when a high-altitude plane was suggested she then mentioned the possibility of a stealth plane.

Nothing was 'dangled' in front of anyone, & assumptions about helicopters willing to fly into North Korean airspace (over the DMZ of all things!) were never discussed.

I can't be responsible for assumptions you make, just for what the NPCs say.

She also noted that each of you would have a way of getting down without a parachute. She never said she could supply an aircraft that wasn't concealed, & never got round to discussing exit options before everyone walked off! She did ask what transport you needed, early on, & when a high-altitude plane was suggested she then mentioned the possibility of a stealth plane.

Nothing was 'dangled' in front of anyone, & assumptions about helicopters willing to fly into North Korean airspace (over the DMZ of all things!) were never discussed.

Ahh - but the confusion over the plane arose because I had said that we could jump out of a high altitude C130 immediately prior to that statement. As Ms Cable didn't say that that wasn't an option, but rather said what could (and obviously was since most of the players seem to have read it that way) constued as (Option A) We could jump at high altitude OR (Option B) Use a stealth plane that would be more expensive - instead of Option A AND Option B. We're not the first people to make the AND/OR mistake nor will we be the last.

Really?: I quote Me: Posted: May 31 2003, 12:25 AM

\"'ow about doing some 'ALO jumps out of a C130. If Alex an' Joe don't bother with parachutes we'll 'ave surprise and 'alf the job done by the Andy an' I touch down, eh? Then maybe a chopper to do a pickup? Unless Vinnie can ferry us out of there... even still - we'd need at least one means of emergency extraction. What you think mates? Actually, if you two land on some of the guard towers or on the main barracks at night we'll 'ave a major advantage.\"

Followed by much talk of LZ1, LZ2, LZ3 etc. From which I assumed we were all on the same page about helos.

---

This is why we're talking about it here to sort out the mixup OOC. We're in a medium without head nodding / shaking expressions - there's bound to be confusion even with ::chillbeer You continually appear to be taking this sort of thing as a personal affront - again just an impression - possibly wholly incorrect, but again, from the tone of the other players - I would guess not. If that's the case then please stop. No-one is challenging your storytellerly wozzname and more so - no-one enjoys having fingers pointed them or worse being talked down to. We're ( or me at least ) was just confused by a side-effect of the medium which is basicically guaranteed to happen.

--

As for the game - since there seems to be no realistic option other than the stealth plane we'll need to take it. If we can't get a chopper for the exit then we'll have to try either stealing one of theirs and a 'learn to fly in 24 hrs' OR go through the jungle.

-Knave

True, we're limited by the medium we're using, but your complaints about the 'dangling' were followed by the 'angry' ::angry symbol with no humour symbols attached, & in an OOC thread. I tend to take that as you being pissed off... ::confused

None of the talk about C130s & LZs was from Miss Cable, she even asked again about the stealth-plane when Guy said they'd take a normal plane instead - Guy then said 'no' & left the scene whilst I (the ST) was still hard at work in the RL! It's kinda' hard for the NPCs to get their POV across when I'm no-where near a computer!

You continually appear to be taking this sort of thing as a personal affront - again just an impression - possibly wholly incorrect, but again, from the tone of the other players - I would guess not. If that's the case then please stop. No-one is challenging your storytellerly wozzname and more so - no-one enjoys having fingers pointed them or worse being talked down to. We're ( or me at least ) was just confused by a side-effect of the medium which is basicically guaranteed to happen.

I don't know about 'continually', but when I'm accused of BSing people then yes, I do get just a wee bit offended (I guess I'm just strange that way)... ::sly

True, we're limited by the medium we're using, but your complaints about the 'dangling' were followed by the 'angry'  symbol with no humour symbols attached, & in an OOC thread. I tend to take that as you being pissed off... 

Yup - but the ::angry was immediately following

I'm sure DVTS is getting a large slice of that 'fee'!!!
Which is what it applied to - which was a misunderstanding anyway. I'm sorry if you thought I was angry as that was not my intention. I can pretty much guarantee that nothing but nothing that happens in a game will ever make me angry - simply because if it ever did I would stop playing.
None of the talk about C130s & LZs was from Miss Cable, she even asked again about the stealth-plane when Guy said they'd take a normal plane instead - Guy then said 'no' & left the scene whilst I (the ST) was still hard at work in the RL!

Lol - This was because I thought Ms Cable had taken my meaning to be 'yes we'd take the expensive stealth plane' when in fact I was saying 'No. We'll take the cheaper normal plane.' rather than 'There is only the stealth plane, but it's expensive - do you want it' ::tongue

I don't know about you, but when I read a bunch of posts I try to put them in the order they happened. So if Vinnie says something to me - even if his post appears after I've stated that I've left the room, I'll automatically assume that it happened whilst still in the room, unless I see some descriptor stating otherwise.

I don't know about 'continually', but when I'm accused of BSing people then yes, I do get just a wee bit offended (I guess I'm just strange that way)... 

continually - I said that because I've seen a few quite authoritative answers that I saw to be you putting your foot down with a firm hand ::wink - which gave me the impression that you were generally pretty ticked off and not terribly keen on admitting even the possibility that there might be even a smidgeon of doubt that you might be even the teensiest bit wrong generally. I suspected that this was just the next iteration.

but there is no accusation because accusation does not play well with fun... ::cool

[cue scooby-do ending]

Skipping the whole who said what to whom...

Exit possibilities:

1) Bring a baseline pilot (laughable IMHO)

2) Hide in woods and let Vinnie recharge (adding about 1 hour per person minus his pool size to start with.) Assuming that *NOTHING* goes wrong and everything goes right this could work (yeah, right ::crazy )

3) Alloy rushes us to a pickup spot somewhere else.

4) Stealth Plane

5) 'Copter.

6) Other Nova

(Somewhat IC) I suspect that Andy (Ironskin) would be less than thrilled to help in the massacre of a military base, and any sane Warper would insist on more information than we are probably willing to provide. Similarly, I don't think DeVries would be happy with the involvement of a Teragen Warper (regardless of how hot she is). (Although some of that information is from OOC sources).

I'm not happy about it (because of expense and enherent "risk") but it does sound like a stealth plane is the best primary exit plan. (I'm a little confused at what is available. I'm assuming that a 'copter isn't available for exit and so far no one has claimed pilot status).

And high level drop sounds like the best entrance.

The way I see it...this is whats going to happen on Andy's end...

1) HALO drop in

2a) Andy Starts a normal magnetic Storm up...taking about 15 minutes to walk the base

--or--

2b) Andy maxes out his magnetic storm and covers about 160 m....basically I can cover the base in about 6 minutes and we can get out quicker

3) Get a baseline to pilot a chopper to pick us up after the radar tower is destroyed.

This is fesable in my opinion especially under cover of night. We an probably hit faster too...as said before I can cover 160 m (542.4 ft) on an average Magnetic storm max (this is 2 successes into area out of 4 dice). Out of 500 m (.5 km) I can cover that in about 5m of walking if I land near the middle...

I have a walk movement rate of 3.5 m (7m/2) while using storm...I can cover that in about 1 minute.

Anyone see any flaws in that? I think that, even though everyone else will have to be really careful, this may be the way to go just on sheer destructive power...people are going to have to be damned far to be able to get a shot off at me too.

What does everyone else think?

3) Get a baseline to pilot a chopper to pick us up after the radar tower is destroyed.

This is fesable in my opinion especially under cover of night.  We an probably hit faster too...as said before I can cover 160 m  (542.4 ft) on an average Magnetic storm max (this is 2 successes into area out of 4 dice).  Out of 500 m (.5 km) I can cover that in about 5m of walking if I land near the middle...

I have a walk movement rate of 3.5 m (7m/2) while using storm...I can cover that in about 1 minute.

Anyone see any flaws in that?

RE: 'Copter.

OK, where does he go after that, and where does he come from? If the base is next to part of the border, then taking out the base takes out the border defenses and this isn't a problem.

RE: Powermax

A powermax lasts for one combat action or (at most) a combat round.

RE: Walking

I think that is 7m devided by 3 (not 2). But it would still be 7m per round.

RE: Brutal and swift.

I'm in favor. Do your worst (although you might want to hold the powermax in reserve) and the rest of us will stay out of your way. Or not. ::devilangel

DMD will deal with the tanks and any fuel. Alloy will run through things. Samurai will set bombs (dealing with buildings and also exposing them to the storm). Ghost will snipe and act as strategic reserve / emergency evac.

RE: Powermax

A powermax lasts for one combat action or (at most) a combat round.

I thought that it lasted for one use of hte power? In this case as long as I consentrated on the power...

I double checked and you are right...

However...

I could also burn a WP to double duration also...and designate all possible extra successes (3 and 4 respectivley) into duration. That should take a great majority of the baselines out. With only 2b soak and no lethel...even if It started as bashing damage, thats still 2 turns of half the base (at least) taking that damage...walking I would cover a 320m radius...with a few strategically placed charges, and a continued walking from me it wont be that bad to get everyone. Hell...I could even take a break as everyone in that radius would be gone (for the most part unless they were really lucky).

--EDIT--

RE: Walking

I think that is 7m devided by 3 (not 2). But it would still be 7m per round.

I just read through again and assimilated this. If I can go the entire 7m I can kill almost everyone in the base in 2 rounds. That or critically hurt them to the point of death

Anyone see any flaws in that?  I think that, even though everyone else will have to be really careful, this may be the way to go just on sheer destructive power...people are going to have to be damned far to be able to get a shot off at me too.

What does everyone else think?

I see a flaw: Andy walking around the base slowly. Can you spell 'sitting duck'?

You'll never get them all in two rounds. They won't exactly be lining up to get killed, you know. And there is such a thing as cover, buildings you'll have to move around and so on. This is the best plan we can come up with, and it is a pretty good one. I'm just saying you shouldn't feel too safe out there. If I were you, I'd max the shield instead. I'll do my best to pick off their snipers, but I can't promise I'll spot them all in time.

His shield will subtract 4 succ from anyone's attempt to him with a metal bullet, and anyone inside the field has +2 diff. And that is before cover or range considerations. That sounds pretty safe to me. (Again, a max would only last one round).

He would be in more danger from the various explosions going on.

I don't recall that you can burn willpower to extend range without a max. Are you sure?

Extending the duration of the storm is unlikely to be useful. It already lasts forever. I'm not sure if you can extend the duration of a max.

Normally my shield would last this long in this situation...

28-3=25 qp

25qp/3 qp spent=8.33 times I can pay

8.33 times*8 turns=66.66 turns max

66.66 turns max*3 seconds =200 second

200 seconds/60 minutes=3.33 minutes I can have shield

With 2 max successes for duration...(this assumes that the max lasts untill I stop paying for it...I read where it talked about that and it didnt explain that part well enough considering thsese powers last more then one turn...)

25qp/3 qp spent=8.33 times I can pay

8.33 times*(8*2*2) or 32 turns=266.56 turns max

266.56 turns max*3 seconds =799.68 (800 seconds) second

800 seconds/60 seconds=13.33 minutes I can have shield

I think that would be the only time worth maxing shield...otherwise I only get an extra 24 turns, or 72 (1 min 12 seconds) seconds.

Thats 4:12 I have instead of 3:15...its more trouble to take the time out to do it then to do it

Personally I think we're going to be doing enough damage that you shouldn't have to worry about maxing anything unless Ghost gives you a warning to max up. The major advantage to the drop in is the element of surprise. We'll probably do the most damage in the first five to ten turns.

For our exit we basically have a) take a pilot or B) pay a DeVries Warper to help us or c) make our way out on the ground (using Ghost and several trips or whatever).

I think the safest option would be B) - it'll also save a lot of time in this planning stage ;P

For our exit we basically have a) take a pilot or B) pay a DeVries Warper to help us or c) make our way out on the ground (using Ghost and several trips or whatever).

I think the safest option would be B) - it'll also save a lot of time in this planning stage ;P

I dont like the idea of streaching out paycheck even thinner...and there might be questions from the nova then...baseline grunts are usually more...ummmm...willing to go without questions. Of course this is all up to consensus here. We pretty much have our method of attack down...this is what's left...

I think the Warp idea is great, but it should be for backup (meaning that hopefully DV will be able to get one if we screw up bad enough).

What we need to know:

Can we get a 'copter pickup? From where?

How out of the way is this?

How close to the DMZ is this?

I think the Warp idea is great, but it should be for backup (meaning that hopefully DV will be able to get one if we screw up bad enough).

That's the only way we're gonna get it. We're talking business-minded mercenaries here, people. No Elite will warp us out of there without getting paid. And you can bet your ass DV is not gonna pay for it, so both options a and b will stretch the paycheck. Not to mention the fact that what we're doing is secret, so they want to tell as few people as possible. Which of course again means that any outside help is out of the question.

So if it's at all possible I say helicopter. If not, give me a few hours and I'll get you to the other side of the border, at least. We should have a staging area or safehouse there anyway. (Shorter jumps are a bit cheaper... meaning a bit shorter time in the north korean mountains)

A safehouse or staging area on the other side of the border is a great idea. I think copter's best too, but setting it up, that's the thing. So far, I think hidin' out in the mountains and doing 'ports is the best idea.

Just my 2 centavos.

Speaking of 'porting: Attunement costs one quantum point per scene. But does it cost extra if you want to attune something (or someone) else later in the same scene? And is a series of ports one scene or several? How many times I have to pay the attunement cost is kinda crucial to how soon I can have us out of there...

I dont like the idea of streaching out paycheck even thinner...

Actually, I don't mind about that. We already aren't going to be paid much from this one. Even if we get nothing, that still doesn't change much.

This is our first blood mission. After this our pay scale increases a lot, and the rest of the elites will probably accept us. Buying backing = 1 or 2 is really useful (right Vinnie?).

Whether we get paid is a sidenote compared to those other things.

(Ask Bill Gates if the money he got from a high school job was a lot.)

So...is this the game plan?

1) Get in through a HALO drop

2) We all do our respective damage (Andy does a normal storm, Big guys do damage to buildings where andy isent, Vinnie gets Andy's back and Alex does his demo stuff)

3) we find a safehouse to wait a few hours so that we can port across the border and get a airlift from there

If this is right we need these:

An Airlift in a high altitude aircraft and a 10 minute degree in HALO parachuting

Gun, demolition gear, Parachutes = This is all either implied or already asked for/attained

Safe house Vinnie has seen on S. Korea side...The teleport will do us *no* good if we dont know where to teleport.

3) we find a safehouse to wait a few hours so that we can port across the border and get a airlift from there...

Safe house Vinnie has seen on S. Korea side...The teleport will do us *no* good if we dont know where to teleport.

We won't need the last, at least not on the South K side. If he has the juice and isn't in combat, I suspect that Ghost can easily move us to Africa.

So it sounds like we need a place to hide, or at least sleep, on the North K side. If his pool is totally empty, it would take about an hours worth of sleep to recharge to take one of us. (I'm making a lot of assumptions here Vinnie, feel free to say I'm wrong).

Attune is 1 q. 'Port is 3. 'Port back is another 3 (and repeat).

That is 7 + 7 + 7 + 4; or 25q.

If he makes 3 ports before that (1 + 3 + 3 + 3) or 10, then we could be out about 2 hours afterwards.

We might even be able to hide on the base in a basement somewhere.

Advantages: Cheapest option. If it works, it would work really well. Not dependant on other novas, or baselines, and not traceable.

Disadvantages: The "all eggs in one basket" problem. Quite probably the slowest option. If Vinnie gets hurt, we have a problem. If Vinnie runs into a firefight and has to make a large number of jumps, we could be there for 5 hours or so. Since we would be depending on his juice later, we would almost be a man down during the fight.

Conclusion: I'm in favor of it but it isn't my power that we would be abusing.

Re-Maxing: You're right - it lasts one turn then 'de-powers' to normal levels. I haven't been running it that way (I missed those lines in the section last time I checked), but I will from now on (blame Alex! ::wink ).

Re-base location: It's near the DMZ, but not an actual part of border security - you'd need to take out / avoid detection on both the N & S Korean sides to get across (remember the S Koreans are denying involvement).

Re-Attunement: Each new thing (or set of things) needs to be Attuned seperately (for 1 QP). For example - if you Attune all your gear (which you're wearing), then realise you've missed your favourite bobble hat (that's still lying on the bed) you'll need to use an extra QP to Attune that seperatly (even though it's under your total weight limit). To put it another way - Attunement does get 'passed on' to the next thing you touch until you hit your weight limit, you Attune what you're touching (up to your weight limit) all in one go. In the Teleport case, each man teleported would cost an extra QP for the Attunement - so a total of 4 QP for a full 'port, or 3 QP for a "half power" 'port.

In the Teleport case, each man teleported would cost an extra QP for the Attunement - so a total of 4 QP for a full 'port, or 3 QP for a "half power" 'port.

But that is just one way. He does that, then he drops us off, then he goes back.

How far could he go on "half power"?

It would take 7 ports to get all of us out of there. If he could go somewhere (say, in South K) on half power, then that would drop the q cost by 1 for all 7 jumps. Thus 18 q rather than 25 q for all 7 jumps.

Half as far as the roll would normally indicate (it's the simplest way to run it).

The problem with this is that result is less than 0.5 succ less on a normal roll. Thus he could port anywhere on the planet for -1 q.

How about, half succ? Assuming he averages 8 (remember that it is succ + Q) half that is still 2,000 km. (Assuming 6 succ, it would be 200 km).

Half the distance for 8 succ would be 100,000,000 km.

Buying backing = 1 or 2 is really useful (right Vinnie?).

Why do you say that? Backing is a great idea, but as far as I know nobody here has that background... ::wink

So it sounds like we need a place to hide, or at least sleep, on the North K side. If his pool is totally empty, it would take about an hours worth of sleep to recharge to take one of us. (I'm making a lot of assumptions here Vinnie, feel free to say I'm wrong).

It would take exactly an hour's sleep (or rest) to get enough juice to get one of you home. If we want to play it safe and go for the full power ports, that means 1 hour and 45 minutes to get one of you out and come back for another if I'm completely spent. I'll try not to be, but you never know.

If we buy or rent a warehouse in Seoul that should be easily reachable from \"close to the DMZ\" even on half power. I prefer playing it safe and not having to rely on X successes on the roll... (Call me a pessimist, but in my mind, 6 or 8 successes is a lot)

K - so what's the final verdict? We use Vinnie - but have a warper standing by in case we're going to die?

Sounds like the first part is agreed upon. But there is another problem with the warper... Would you agree to doing that job? Aside from the fact that it's probably a lot less than standard pay, this is supposed to be a test, you know. We're supposed to do it on our own. We can always ask DV to have that as a backup option, but let's hope for our sake they won't tell the person unless we really need him/her.

Oh yeah, and we'll have to wait a day or two for the docs to help Vinnie's legs heal a bit... I think he's finally realizing that he needs some medical attention before this mission.

Falling damage from the 'Demon Drop'. A slight miscalculation on my side... 

Lol - hopefully the world didn't notice this time ::tongue

Sounds like the first part is agreed upon. But there is another problem with the warper... Would you agree to doing that job? Aside from the fact that it's probably a lot less than standard pay, this is supposed to be a test, you know. We're supposed to do it on our own. We can always ask DV to have that as a backup option, but let's hope for our sake they won't tell the person unless we really need him/her.

Alrighty.

Wait a second, a character falling 30 meters, reaches TV... At TV the damage is 10L (automatic? rolled? can't remember) with characters soak halved, can all the characters shrug that off?

Have a closer look at page 256 - the damage is definitely ROLLED. It also says that SOAK applies as normal, but at least 1 die is always rolled. I guess we can veto that if we're using the ultra-tough option (where the 1 damage isn't rolled if your lethal soak > 6) which to my mind makes things a bit better. It would be embarrassing if the Hulk fell 3 meters and cut his knee. ::tongue

As for the falling thing - Prof ruled that in my case I'd be ok because of Q-Leap as long as I spent the Q. P. on landing... otherwise I'd be taking some damage.

Personally I don't see the big difference between this and being hit by (or with) a tank...

As for the falling thing - Prof ruled that in my case I'd be ok because of Q-Leap as long as I spent the Q. P. on landing... otherwise I'd be taking some damage.

I agree totally with that ::thumbsup .

As for what's on page 256, here's the final paragraph for rules on falling.

\"If your character plummets 30 meters or more, she reaches terminal velocity. The damage effect reaches a maximum of 10 dice at this point, and is considered lethal damage. Aditionally, all soak is halved against a terminal-velocity fall; only the toughest novas are designed for this sort of punishment.\"

It would probably take at least a day to arrange everything anyway. We need to rent a spot (which is quick for DV) but we also need to take Vinnie to that spot to familerize himself to it. Assuming we go by plane (from Africa to South K) a day or two delay would probably be fine.

Now, if we had backing, we might be able to talk DV into a healer, rather than a baseline doctor.

\"If your character plummets 30 meters or more, she reaches terminal velocity. The damage effect reaches a maximum of 10 dice at this point, and is considered lethal damage. Aditionally, all soak is halved against a terminal-velocity fall; only the toughest novas are designed for this sort of punishment.\"

That's the last paragraph - but the section starts with:

The Storyteller rolls one die of bashing damage for every 3 meters (rounded down) that your character falls before hitting something solid.  (sic. stuff on controlled falls that doesn't apply).  Falling damage may be soaked as normal, (sic) Each success is a bashing level that your character takes.

Basically what it say is you take falling distance divided by 3 in bashing damage unless you fall 30m at which point you're at TV and damage maxes out and becomes lethal. At no point does it say that terminal velocity damage becomes automatic. Also note that it says that the TV damage is a 10 dice maximum. I'm guessing the dice bit is a clue ::cool

Archived