[OpNet] Advice for the Newbies

Jordan

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd guess Jager is busy judging from the postings on "combat experiance required". If you do contact him and if they need help with anything medical tell them to give me a call.

• 4 weeks later...

Good day to you all, I have been very interested in the information and opinions you have all shared in this topic. Personally, I haven't been a nova for very long, and frankly, I'm overwhelmed.

I had been leading a rather ...baseline? sort of life, when this whole nova existence was rather thrust upon me. How is this fair? Suddenly now, entering into this whole other world, seeing things I really don't wish to see, having abilities I'm frankly unable to understand. I really need help here. So far, I've been able to keep things low-key, but I didn't know whom to get in touch with or what to do at all! And again, thankfully I came here and read all the posts which helped me have something to think about.

It's rather intimidating, and what's a person to do? I have been given much more power and responsibility I really believe I deserve or WANT. Advice and suggestion is always very handy.

You will excuse me if I decline using my real name in here, I suppose I'm a little paranoid after having read some of the things in here, and seeing things...well, no need to get into that here.

Anyway, I am interested to know of any non-affiliated orientation groups or whatever are available...

Nexus

You don't want it? What an unapriciative ass. I'm sure if that's the case then just frag it all and sell your damn node to a soma manufacturer.

Why on earth do you feel like you need to be low key? You are something else entirely now. Don't hide it, no matter how hard you try, you can't deny what you are. Unless you go wiht the suggested labotomy route. Which I hope to Sutehk that you do not. How pathetic would that be?

Nobody cares about your birth name. That's not you anymore. Nexus is fine. Don't take is so hard. You don't have anymore responsibility than you did before. If anything, it's less. Just a different sort of responsibility.

Non-affiliated orientation groups? don't know any. sounds like you're looking for twelve steps to accepting your evolution? I don't think there's a nova's annonymous.

Sorry if I sound a bit cruel, but what did you expect?

Damn, Apep; show No Mercy, why don't ya. Some people are going to be the cups-half-empty kind a folks.

Nexus, being a nova is a wonderful thing. It may bring with it a whole set of complications, but the benefits are more than worth it. Don't go nuts with this, but don't be ashamed, either. What has happened to you is a good thing. Enjoy it.

Thanks for taking it easy on me, Jager. Apep, I'm not looking for any "12 step program" type of thing... I just don't want to make up my mind on the various nova groups I've heard about. It's like now I'm suddenly shown a smorgasbord or buffet of options I never had before, and I don't really like any of them, quite frankly.

I was a baseline no more than a couple weeks ago, folks. (I know this isn't AA or whatever, and don't need to hear my life's history, but it might help to understand where I'm coming from, here.) I was leading that nine to five life that the majority of the planet lives. Although, I had been receiving enormous headaches and strange images in my mind for a month or so, I thought nothing of it (just stress, I believed) until my eruption. I was fairly content to just find a comfortable life in this world. Not everyone around here can be expected to know how or be able to handle these sudden powers. I understand it takes time, but everyone around you expects a nova to be such and such. Move mountains, teleport, fire energy bolts, you name it. I wonder if there are any other new novas that feel as overwhelmed or whatever at all this.

Suddenly, I am not really welcome where I once was. Friends find it awkward to be around me, family treats you like they found out you were gay or something, and so forth. I mean, I was never a model citizen, I had my vices. Now I've been given all this power and everyone expects me to be some paragon of virtue and all that bullshit or something. I'm "beyond" baseline human interaction. I had never asked for this.

However, I know it's all different and it's just something to grow to accept, etc. I don't want to mix into the wrong crowds or get affiliated with the wrong group. I just want a fairly neutral way to get a handle on things. My powers are...well, let's just say that many an organization may want to use and abuse it, given the chance, which is why I am very leery.

Take a deep breath, look up toward the heavens, and laugh...really loud.

On a grand scale, selfishness may suck, but how do you plan to do anything with anyone else until you get your own act together.

Best advice; go to Detroit and talk with Trauma. He has a few more months under his belt and has many of the same problems. He is an EMT and an all-around nice guy.

Failing that, take a vacation on Ibizia. Just a few days, but it is hard not getting a first timer's thrill by just showing up. Since your already feeling alienated, try to pick up some of the locals for nova-only nightspots. They're out there, but usually a bit secretive.

If your non-combative, I might recommend DeVries or Novelty. Their non-elite divisions have an excellent record and they don't have the whole Utopia tie-in that makes some people uncomfortable. Just remember, they are interested in making money of you.

While I know some really nice people in Utopia, I can't recommend the organization, right now. I find a few too many things about them to be disturbing.

With your present attitude and concerns, the Teragen is not a good idea. If ever you become more comfortable with your newfound status and ability, they can be helpful.

Since your non-political, the Aberrants are right out.

Hope this helps.

Jager,

Thank you for your advice, and I will look into it. I suppose it's Reality Check time, right? Ah well.

You know, it's not that I'm "non-political" so much as I just think nobody really seems to have a good stance on anything. The way I see it, and trust me sometimes it's more than I wish to see, is that all of these supposedly concerned organizations have ulterior motives. It's not so much that it isn't obvious, really, just I cannot trust something that says one thing and does another. Now, I might consider your advice about joining some company or whatnot, for purely material reasons. They want to make money off me, and I want money from them. There's no real moral discrepencies there, I suppose, is there? At least they would be pretty up front with their motivations.

I suppose I am wondering if there is anything unethical in this? (I admit that question made me laugh too.) In the end, yeah, it's survival, as many of you have said. I just don't feel it's right to alienate those whom are my parents, for example, just because they feel weird with me, now. I'm pretty much myself, still, aren't I?

But I already can see where this line of questioning is going to take me: nowhere. Let me tell you, it's not a whole lot of fun knowing things before they happen. Sort of takes the fun out of "circumstance."

Are there any other...whatyacallem's? "precogs" out there on this board? Please speak to me if you are out there, which you have to be, I know you are somewhere.

[This message has been edited by Nexus (edited 06-28-2001).]

Trauma, like you and I, is new to the whole nova scene. I think what Jager had in mind was introducing you to someone who could be a friend. He is having some of the same social problems that your going through. Hey eny time you wanna gab, let me know.

Sure, thanks, that would be good to talk to someone with the same situation. Just let me know when/where/how, and all that, and I'd gladly speak with you or anyone. smile.gif

Nexus, admitting your a precog is like admitting you have a bag of food in a camp full of starving people. Do you understand?

Jordan, I was thinking your a bit too much in the fast lane for Nexus to meet up with right away. If Nexus wants to jump right in, though, he couldn't ask for a better guide.

I've been with the DeVries Agency since just after my own eruption. They've been a valuable resource to me. Of course, I knew exactly what I wanted to do with my newfound gifts.

I suggest that you at least make contact with the Agency. They can help you better understand your new abilities, and might very well provide an inspiration for you of what you might like to do with your life now.

Yes, they do handle Elites - but that is by no means their whole stock. If there is a niche you can fill, and would enjoy filling, I'm confident that they will find it

The pay isn't bad, either.

I had thought about it, and well, it doesn't matter if I tell anyone I am a precog. I can tell if it will cause trouble and I don't think it will. It actually might increase my "stock" on the open market. Of course, these powers might make me enemies or something, but believe me when I tell you that I'm a little ahead of this game. I think, heh. I don't want to get overshadowed by my own ego blinding me, of course. Seen too many movies of this sort of thing to believe it all. I'm cautious, no need to worry about that.

Thingmaker, I will look into the DeVries Agency. Acutally, I've gotten offers from various sources, seemingly from out of nowhere, from different places and groups. It's like winning a scholarship and having a choice of Yale, Harvard or whatever.

I suppose this whole nova thing isn't so bad. I guess I was still in shock at the whole thing. Still, I'd appreciate advice or insights from others who've been novas longer or are also in the same situation as I.

Thanks.

Nexus, here is a little tip. Precog works real well until you come across a better Precog. Then things get dicey, as both of you are acting on the same initial information, but in different way (assuming you have differing goals, that is). Thought I would warn you.

Yes, your stock has gone up in certain sectors of society. Make the most of it and remember to have some fun along the way.

Nexus, remember for every tough guy in the world, there is always someone tougher, and meaner. Look at Pax, he had his ass handed to him by Divis Mal, a perfect example.

As for going around telling people your precognative, well, in addition to Jager's comment think about this. How many governments, organizations, agencies, business sharks, and what-have-you would die (or kill) to get their hands on a known precog? I also remember reading somewhere about some novas actually having immunity to precog and postcog abilities, what happens if one of these individuals is the one sent gunning for your ass?

Having said that, don't forget all the fun (and largely illegal) uses of Postognition. I find most people with your type of powers tend to focus on the future, yet forget about the other spectrum - the past. Want to know someones computer password? Well as long as you can get near the computer, simply watch them type it in two days ago! Want to know who killed JFK? Try taking a stroll across a certain grassy knoll in Dallas.

Now that you have some more things to think about, watch your back and make no permenent commitments. Most groups loathe giving up a 'cog once they get their hands on them.

I have some experience in dealing with Precogs and have found there is one particularly difficult aspect with using their information.

If the event is close at hand there is a tendency for the event foretold to be unalterable. The flow of events that lead to that result have contributed enough that any action taken to counter it is futile.

On the other hand, if the event is far enough away to be altered there is the problem with trying to alter the end result and at the same time not change any of the contributing factors that bring about the event you are hoping to change.

I liken the experience to trying to build a jigsaw puzzle while blindfolded. Quite frustrating at times.

I'm not claiming I'm any better than anyone. I admit I was a little excited about all this. Overwhelmed, more like it. I mean, I am familiar with chaos theory, and I understand the principles and theories for time and time travel, etc. Heh, like I've said, I've seen all those movies and read all those sci-fi books. Divergent time lines, probabilities, I know. I'm not making any outrageous claims, no more than anything Hazzard might say. Just kidding.

Anyway, has anyone heard of some group called the Gestalt?

I have been contacted by the Gestalt on 6 different occasions. They are desperate to find out my secrets, and why my mind is unreadable. Heh, silly Telepaths, tricks are for kids!

The few jobs I have done for Gestalt members has been above board, sort of. Twice, they wanted me and mine to get them close to a certain someone so they could do their thing. When I had some 'problems' with a certain psychic, the provided some needed information.

As for the unreadable mind; in all my experience, there is no such thing as a perfect defense. Given time and study, all defenses can be circumvented. If some members of the Gestalt are 'testing' you, take a new tact to avoiding them or convincing them that there are other places they need to be. I have worked with a few members who seem to be stand-up folks, but even they warned me that other members weren't so honest in their dealings. Be careful.

Oh I know my defenses aren't impenetratable, but so far, they've had no luck. I think thats why they want me to join them. To understand why my mind is closed to mental intrusion. Yah, as if I'm going to give up one of my only advantages, right.