Aberrant RPG - Mega-Int v. Mega-Wits

phoenix

I just read Abberant: Brainwaves and I got to thinking about the differences between Intelligence (and Mega-Intelligence) and Wits (and Mega-Wits). According to the Abberant system, Intelligence represents the quality of thought and memory, whereas Wits represents speed of thought. If this is right, Mega-Intelligence novas seem to me to be getting the short end of the stick. It seems to me that if, for example, I played Bobby Fischer in chess, but got to think about my moves for an hour for each 15 seconds he thought about his (and somehow he was unable to think during my turn), he would have a pretty rough time of it. Mega-Wits would be more helpful in tests of Intelligence than Mega-Intelligence would!

I don't think that Mega-Intelligence should exist at all. It seems to me that when one person is smarter than another, it is because they can think faster. They just put it in because they needed a third Mental Attribute so the character sheets would look nice and even. What say you?

I play Chess. And I'm pretty good. But no way could I beat Fisher or anyone like him. The better players can litterally play 10 or 20 people like me at once, and beat all of us. A 4x time advantage would not be that big of a deal in anthing but speed chess.

How long do you think it will take the average Joe to come up with something like E=MC^2 ? Forever? Never?

There are things for which quickness of thought matters a whole lot. There are lots of other things for which it doesn't.

Wits: Being able to come up with a witty reposte without pausing. Or keeping your wits about you - keeping cool in a firefight for example.

Intelligence: Being able to design a bridge. Calculating pi to 50 places metally and faster than you would using a calculator.

There is definitely a difference here. Intelligence is quality of thought true, but that often requires speed. If intelligent people couldn't do this faster than the average joe they probably would get bored and not bother. Also - because they can and do do it they get better at it and faster.

Wits on the other hand is quality (and also speed) of thought applied to a simple action. The same about practice applies here.

So - classic example, your 'nerd' archtype might have high intelligence and low wits, whilst your 'dumb' jock would be the other way around...

-Knave

I'd have to put my two pence behind keeping Intelligence (and Mega-Intelligence) as is. Comparing Intelligence and Wits is like comparing Kip Thorne and Robin Williams. Mr. Thorne is dead meat if he tries to compete as a comedian, while Mr. Williams would have a devil of a time trying to calculate the equations for the evaporation by quantum radiation of a black hole. The two attributes complement each other rather well.