Aberrant RPG - Mega-Attribute Books

Sprocket

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

::blink err I was talking about the Grendel from the story of Beowolf, not DarkHorse Comics...LOL. I actually had to think for a few minutes and figure out whose names you were dropping... ::biggrin

I am referring to a beast so fierce that his "gruesome visage" caused all men to shudder. And Grendel's mother was even uglier.

I wanted to let everyone know that I will be AFOL (Away From On-line Life) for the next week, work and family commitments. So keep well and keep fighting the good fight!

::offtopic

LOL ... ::laugh ...I should take some of the blame (i did not sight my source ::blush on a superhero forum)...

Hmmm... Seems I'm not the only one who's been having computer difficulties and trouble from real life in this wonderful gaggle of loonies. ::biggrin Don't sweat it, Gideon- barring some inconveniently-timed catastrophe, this forum will still be going strong.

Re: Literary references for Mega-Ugliness- That idea sounds nice, until you realize that most of the ancient tale-tellers were much more likely to wax poetic about superhumanly attractive people instead of the superhumanly ugly. It's understandable, but still a pain in the rear when you're trying to place a given monster or villain on the Mega-Ugliness yardstick.

Besides, I'd be likely to give Cthulhu (spelling correct) a Mega-Ugliness score in the neighborhood of eight dots!

As far as the enhancements go, I'm working on a negative version of the Awe-Inspiring enhancement tailored to Mega-Ugly novas. It's still got quite a few rough spots, but I'll post it here once those are taken care of. BTW, I'm still in need of one more Mega-Ugliness enhancement to finish the listing. Suggestions, anyone?

::blink Well, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised by this lack of response. Be that as it may, I've gone ahead and finished the Mega-Ugliness Enhancements listings and have jotted down a few of the problems Mega-Ugly novas are likely to suffer. Please read through what I've come up with, folks- I'd rather hear about any problems you folks might have with this stuff before this project becomes a full-fledged EON e-book. Enjoy! ::devil

The Flipside of Mega-Appearance: Mega-Ugliness

With the release of the Adventure! core rulebook, a major change was introduced in the way that the Social attribute of Appearance functioned. Instead of acting as a measure of a character's physical beauty, Appearance now reflected how memorable the character's looks were to other people. Now, players and Storytellers had the option of creating characters who could be anything from somewhat homely to downright ugly, instead of being just another pretty face in the crowd.

As it was released prior to Adventure!, the Aberrant core rulebook still used the previous version of the Appearance attribute, but offered the possibility of creating a Mega-Ugly nova instead of your more common Mega-Attractive nova. The Attribute/Mega-Attribute system mechanics had to be tinkered with somewhat, but it worked well enough for the few who wanted to play a Mega-Ugly nova. Unfortunately, space constrictions prevented the writers of Aberrant from going into Mega-Ugliness in the level of detail it deserved. With all this in mind, we now offer revised versions of both Appearance and Mega-Appearance that are oriented towards describing physically unattractive characters in the Aberrant setting.

Appearance (Ugliness version)

The Ugliness version of the Appearance attribute is a combination of physical unattractiveness and innate offensiveness. Whether due to having been horribly disfigured in an accident or beaten with the ugly stick, this variant Attribute measures your character's ability to make a negative first impression or to generate an instinctive response in others.

Qualities: Charred, Nauseating, Nightmarish, Perversely Fascinating, Putrefied, Scabrous, Skanky.

1 dot - Poor: You're vaguely unappealing, but otherwise unremarkable. People forget your face easily.

2 dots - Average: You're quite homely, yet still within the lower range of what's considered "normal".

3 dots - Good: You turn stomachs when you enter a room.

4 dots - Exceptional: You could work in a carnival sideshow- or you might've escaped from one.

5 dots - Superb: You're simply unforgettable, much to the dismay of those who catch sight of you.

Mega-Ugliness-

Similar to the more socially acceptable version of Mega-Appearance, Mega-Ugliness represents a nova whose looks are more shockingly hideous than the most deformed and repellent baselines who have ever lived. Such a nova will never be able to pass for human (barring use of the Mr. Nobody enhancement), and those baselines not panicked by the Mega-Ugly nova's appearance will still be sickened and disgusted by his looks. And just as baseline society adores Mega-Attractive novas, they revile the much rarer Mega-Ugly novas. These novas are depicted in the media as antisocial and cruel monsters whose minds are as twisted by the effects of Taint as their bodies- and nine times out of ten, they are absolutely correct. The few exceptions to this typically don't get much favorable media exposure, so the preconception endures.

Mega-Ugliness is dependent on the Ugliness version of Appearance in exactly the same way that the other Mega-Attributes depend on their respective base Attributes.

Mega-Ugly characters receive bonus dice for their Intimidation rolls instead of Style- being superhumanly hideous is great when you want to frighten other people, but it can't help make a horrid outfit look good.

1 dot - Stupendous: Compared to you, Quasimodo looks like your average working Joe Sixpack. You receive one extra die for all Intimidation rolls (in addition to your Mega-Appearance dice).

2 dots - Amazing: Babies and small children scream when they see you, and their parents tend to cringe. You receive two extra dice for all Intimidation rolls.

3 dots - Incredible: You creep the hell out of just about everyone you encounter, nova and baseline alike. You receive three extra dice for all Intimidation rolls.

4 dots - Spectacular: Simply getting a good look at you is enough to give the average baseline shrieking nightmares for a week at least. You receive four extra dice for all Intimidation rolls.

5 dots - Godlike: "Get that thing AWAY from me!" You receive five extra dice for all Intimidation rolls.

Note: Mega-Ugliness at ratings of 6 dots and higher provides equivalent bonuses to those of standard Mega-Appearance at the same rating. Check with your Storyteller for details of how high-level Mega-Attributes other than Mega-Strength and Mega-Stamina work in your game. The effects of Mega-Strength and Mega-Stamina at ratings of 6+ are detailed in the _Aberrant Player's Guide_, pg.s 101 through 103.

New Enhancements for Mega-Ugliness-

Anathema (Mega-Ugliness)

Ever since language was invented, human talespinners have told stories about monsters whose mere presence was horrific enough to make even the fiercest warriors quake in fear. A Mega-Ugly nova with this enhancement is the living embodiment of that tradition, as the sheer malevolence of his visage is simply too much for ordinary people to deal with. And even in the 21st Century, people can still feel the caveman's instinctive fear of the terrors that lurk in the darkness, just beyond the edge of the campfire's light...

A Mega-Ugly nova with this enhancement inspires dread, horror, and feelings of helplessness in those around him. As with Awe-Inspiring, normal humans often have trouble dealing with an Anathematic nova in a straightforward manner. Weak-willed people will seek to flee his presence at the first opportunity, and even those folks with stronger wills tend to feel intimidated, inadequate, and cowed. If an Anathematic nova walks through a crowded public area- like a shopping mall, perhaps- you can bet that everyone else there will either flee the vicinity or do their best to hide and evade the Anathematic nova's notice.

System: This enhancement works only when the people are in the nova's presence and looking at him. Mega-Ugly novas with Anathema receive 1 automatic success per dot of Mega-Ugliness on rolls for Intimidation and Interrogation (in addition to the standard Mega-Attribute bonuses for Mega-Ugliness). Anathematic novas should also receive that same bonus to any roll related to evoking despair and feelings of helplessness in other people. Finally, those Inspired beings an Anathematic nova faces in combat must make a Willpower roll at standard difficulties- if they acquire enough successes to match or exceed the Anathematic nova's Mega-Ugliness rating, they can fight normally. Those who fail will have their Initiative ratings reduced by 1 point per dot of Mega-Ugliness possessed by the Anathematic nova. Baselines and other non-Inspired beings will automatically have their Initiative ratings reduced- don't even bother rolling.

Unlike Awe-Inspiring, Anathema isn't negatively affected by Taint- it practically depends on it!

This enhancement costs 1 quantum point to activate and lasts for a scene. Even when it isn't actively "on", the Anathematic nova is still extremely horrifying, and the Storyteller should keep this in mind. (People will automatically assume that the nova is a monster, animals will be frightened by him, and so on.)

Bête Noire (Mega-Ugliness)

Mega-Ugly novas with this enhancement excel at making first impressions of a highly unpleasant nature. Rather than appealing to the subject's desires, they evoke the subject's fears instead. Whatever the other person dreads, he will find it in a Mega-Ugly nova with this enhancement.

System: When meeting someone for the first time (or after a long time apart), the Mega-Ugly nova may spend 1 qp to activate this enhancement and automatically make the most threatening first impression possible on that person. The Mega-Ugly nova may deliberately say or do something to negate this effect, but an accidental faux pas won't be enough. The bad impression will remain with the other person until the Mega-Ugly nova does something to disprove it, either in person or via media reports- it's hard to pass oneself off as Evil Incarnate if the media catches you selflessly coming to the rescue of innocent baselines. Other people may also negate the effects of this enhancement by convincing the target that he or she was wrong about the Mega-Ugly nova. Use of this enhancement has been known to backfire, however- in some cases it can amount to putting a bullseye on one's chest and daring the subject to take a shot.

This enhancement also makes the Mega-Ugly nova seem to be whatever the subject deems to be most frightening and dangerous to him or her. Clever novas with the Telepathy power use this enhancement to discover that information, in order to use it and validate the subject's fears. If the target is involved in criminal activities, she'll think that the Mega-Ugly nova has both the goods on her and the willingness to use that information against her. In social situations, this will make the Mega-Ugly nova seem like the absolute last person in the world that the other person would want to either deal or interfere with.

Disquieting (Mega-Ugliness)

Some things are so appallingly grotesque that people tend to suffer a momentary psychological dysfunction as they attempt to comprehend the sheer repellence on display before them. Some Mega-Ugly novas have learned to take advantage of this, as it can grant them a few precious seconds when it counts.

System: The Mega-Ugly nova's horrendous looks are enough to give most anyone pause. Anyone looking upon the Mega-Ugly nova for the first time must make a Willpower roll or be frozen in shock for one turn. Disquieting novas can use that time to do whatever they please, although attacking a victim of this enhancement is more than enough to jar him out of this temporary dysfunctional state. This has no effect on other Mega-Ugly novas (who are familiar with superhuman ugliness) or most aliens (whose own ideas on beauty and ugliness will likely have no congruence with those of humanity). This enhancement has no quantum point cost and is always in effect, barring use of the Mr. Nobody enhancement.

Gruesome (Mega-Ugliness)

A Mega-Ugly nova with this enhancement is superhumanly nauseating enough that simply looking at him is enough to cause severe gastronomical distress to those unlucky enough to behold him. Even hardened people such as slaughterhouse workers, morticians and sewer inspectors are sickened by a Gruesome nova.

System: The nova can make people who can see him feel sufficient disgust to suffer acute nausea with the expenditure of a quantum point. The nova's targets must roll Mega-Stamina at + [the nova's Mega-Ugliness] difficulties to avoid vomiting and/or retching. Treat targets of this enhancement as having been Dazed- (see Aberrant core book, pg. 249), save that the Gruesome nova's targets don't suffer bashing damage.

This enhancement affects everyone who can see the nova (line-of-sight), costs 1 quantum point to use, and can only be used once per turn.

Mind-Shattering Horror (Mega-Ugliness)

Prerequisite: Mega-Ugliness at 6+ dots, and either Face of Terror or Sheer Hideousness.

Ever since the works of H.P. Lovecraft became popular, horror writers have propounded the idea that there are some sights that Man Was Never Meant To See. A Mega-Ugly nova with this enhancement is a perfect example of this Lovecraftian ideal, as the sight of him is enough to cause permanent psychological damage to the minds of lesser men and women. Fortunately, that description doesn't apply to the Inspired...

System: The Mega-Ugly nova spends 1 quantum point and rolls his Mega-Ugliness against the Willpower of any non-Inspired being unlucky enough to see him clearly. (Thick smoke or other visual impediments sufficient to cause a minimum of +2 difficulty penalties to Vision rolls will be enough to prevent this enhancement from functioning) If the nova scores more net successes on that roll, the victim gains a permanent mental disorder chosen by the Storyteller. This enhancement affects everyone who can clearly see the Mega-Ugly nova (line-of-sight), costs 1 quantum point to use, and lasts until the end of the scene.

Minotaur Syndrome (Mega-Ugliness)

While the superhumanly poor looks of Mega-Ugly novas can provoke fear reactions in baselines, those with this enhancement do so in spades. The face of a Mega-Ugly nova with the Minotaur Syndrome looks vicious enough to terrify people who don't know him personally. The downside to this is that any attempts the Mega-Ugly nova may make to engage in friendly socializing with strangers will be severely hampered.

System: The nova gains + 6 automatic successes on all hostile Social-based rolls involving strangers, who will see the nova as being a vicious, cruel, hateful, and unremittingly hostile brute. While this can help in demoralizing one's foes in combat and other dangerous situations, it's also a major impediment in the nova's social life: the nova automatically loses 3 successes from all non-hostile Social-based rolls involving strangers. Note to Storytellers: those people who come to know the nova are entirely immune to the effects of this enhancement. This can be helpful for interacting with friends and family, but has its drawbacks if the nova's foes become familiar with him. The benefits and drawbacks of this enhancement are cumulative with other Mega-Social enhancements. This enhancement is permanent, and has no quantum point cost.

>Banned Enhancements: As Mega-Ugliness is a measurement of how repellent and frightening the nova's appearance is to other people, it's only reasonable for the Storyteller to forbid Mega-Ugly novas from having any Mega-Appearance enhancements that are dependent on personal beauty and sex appeal. This is balanced out by the existence of Mega-Appearance enhancements available only to Mega-Ugly novas. Several Mega-Appearance enhancements that should be banned to Mega-Ugly novas are listed below.

(Aberrant Core Book)- Awe-Inspiring, First Impression, Seductive Looks.

(Aberrant Compendium)- Friendly Face, Natural Style, Ouevre d'Art, Rapture, Splendor.

>Altered Enhancements: Three Mega-Appearance enhancements from the Aberrant Compendium can be used with Mega-Ugliness, albeit with skewed effects. They are listed below.

Ageless: While this enhancement still makes it extremely difficult to estimate the Mega-Ugly nova's physical age, it will inspire revulsion instead of attraction. The Mega-Ugly nova will always be seen as being "horribly wrong" instead of "just right", limiting the usefulness of this enhancement.

Timeless: This enhancement allows the Mega-Ugly nova to ignore all Appearance-based penalties derived from superficial, cultural, and temporal notions of what is considered frightening and repellent.

Universal Appeal: This enhancement lets the Mega-Ugly nova retain his horrifying looks no matter what form he assumes via the Shapeshift power, which can be helpful on missions to spread terror.

X: Mega-Ugliness in play-

>Only The Lonely-

Unless a Mega-Ugly nova has the Sexless aberration (pg. 93 of the Aberrant Player's Guide), he or she will possess a sex drive that's just as powerful as that of any other nova. A few very fortunate Mega-Ugly novas (who will have only 1-2 dots) might somehow manage to win the love of a perceptive and wise person of the correct gender, but this goal will be extremely hard to attain. Most Mega-Ugly novas are doomed to failure in romantic endeavors before they even start.

>Ostracism-

Humans are "hardwired" by evolution to be highly social creatures, and eruption doesn't change this one bit. If a person is deprived of friendly social contact on a regular basis, his mental and physical health will both suffer. Mega-Ugly novas are guaranted to suffer osctracism and discrimination in baseline society, so it's understandable why they tend not to have any baseline friends.

>Miscellaneous-

Mega-Ugly novas' frustrated sexual/romantic/social needs can easily cause them to become bitter towards, jealous of, and hostile to baseline society as a whole.

Save for those novas with the Eye of the Beholder aberration (see Aberrant: Brainwaves), Mega-Ugly novas have the same "hardwired" basic criteria for beauty and ugliness as do baselines and other novas. Therefore, Mega-Ugly novas will find each others' looks just as unappealing, although they're a good deal more tolerant of Mega-Ugliness in general- shared misery and all that.

Most ugly latents tend to become attractive (or at least average-looking) upon eruption- they feel that their poor appearance is an undeserved burden, and so is more likely to be corrected in the eruption process.

Latents with Imagined Ugliness Disorder (a specific form of delusion) are the exceptions to that- the eruption process reshapes their bodies to be in line with their delusional self-image. They also tend to develop a greater amount of permanent Taint upon eruption than other novas.

Feel free to make comments on this stuff- it'd be a lot more welcome than all the worthless spam my e-mail box is stuffed with on a regular basis! ::tongue

I think it looks great. I like the range of "issues" you've high-lighted.

Now I need to get back to work on this project (my work woes have been mitigated, some-what this week)...

Hmm would there be a need to refer to the fact that these enhancements are NOT aberrations, or some such? I keep imagining someone saying, "...see I'm REALLY ugly, so of course I don't have to woryy about those pesky 5 perm. Taint!!" While you do make the comment that mega-ugly novas tend to have high taint, I think for the "Liquid in coffe-cup may be hot" people you may need to make a reference that this Mega-Attribute is not a get-out-of-jail free card, as far as Taint is concerned. Course I'm also thinking about the rules lawyers who often say things like, "Well since it doesn't say I can't do that, I should be able to!" Which is technically correct, but inherently flawed. hrm, I'm starting to annoy myself with this line of thinking, nevermind my comments. As I said at the start I really like this whole idea. My next character will most likely make sloppy joe eligable for the cover of GQ (in comparison).

Gideon

Well, here's what I've come up with for the "essay" component of the Mega-Ugliness section, folks. Since we're using the structure of Aberrant: Brainwaves, the assembled section should end up looking something like this:

I- Revised Ugliness Attribute and Mega-Ugliness

II- Mega-Ugliness Essays

III- New Enhancements for Mega-Ugliness

IV- Mega-Ugliness Aberrations

I'll assemble the three existing Mega-Ugliness documents and submit them when the time comes, never fear. But first I'd like you lot to look over the essays, which replace the limited "Mega-Ugliness Issues" notes from my earlier post. I'd really like to hear about any problems you have with what I've come up with before this appears in the finished E-book, guys. Enjoy! ::devilangel

Mega-Ugliness: Squids

It's an unfortunate fact of life- humans tend to judge each other by their appearance when other data is lacking. If a person is ugly, other people usually think that he's also mentally deficient and has a rotten personality to boot. Given that a Mega-Ugly nova is by definition more hideous and repellent than any baseline who has ever lived, one can easily see why many baselines automatically assume that Mega-Ugly novas are just as monstrous in mind and soul as they appear to be in body. And given that unearned mistreatment and degradation is often all that baseline society will offer Mega-Ugly novas, it's equally easy to see why so many of them end up becoming just as hostile and sociopathic as baselines fear them to be.

Mega-Ugliness and Lookism

To understand why Mega-Ugly novas end up receiving this sort of treatment from most baselines; we have to examine "lookism" (also known as beauty prejudice), how it functions, and why humans have it at all. Unlike most other prejudices, lookism is an evolved survival mechanism for life in cultures with little or no technology. It works as an amoral pragmatism and functions on an unconscious level. Even human infants are influenced by lookism, as it's "hardwired" into our brains. Most people are totally unaware of being influenced by lookism- since it's an innate brain function, most would consider it a fundamental part of "being human". This "lookism circuitry" allows us to distinguish between beauty and ugliness, and rewards us with a feeling of pleasure when we look at beautiful things. Ugly things, of course, inspire distaste. (Even ugly people are repelled by ugliness- both their own and that of others.) It also establishes that humans possess hardwired criteria for both obvious beauty and obvious ugliness, above and beyond cultural and subjective notions of what is and isn't attractive. Note: Like any other instinctual response, the effects of lookism can be recognized and moderated by a person who's willing to learn to control himself.

The obvious application was for deciding what to eat and drink (fresh fruit instead of overripe fruit, freshly-caught trout instead of a rotten turtle carcass, clear water from the river instead of green water from a stagnant pond, etc.), so that primitive humans could tell what was good to eat without having to risk their stomachs (and their lives) every time they came across something new. Those who didn't develop lookism tended to die more often, usually from eating something they shouldn't have.

Lookism was also beneficial in that it let primitive humans judge each other's viability and health as well. Ugly infants were less likely to survive in savage surroundings- cute babies advertised their health and viability, and were deemed to be more worthwhile investments by primitive mothers. Ugly children are still more likely to suffer parental abuse and/or neglect- since they're less likely to live anyway, why would a Stone-Age parent waste energy treating them well? Ugliness in teens and adults signified reduced chances of survival- they were in poorer health and had a lesser chance of siring or bearing successful young. Signs of old age were also considered ugly, as was body asymmetry and other deformities. And again, those primitive humans without the lookism adaptation were less likely to survive.

Since humans have only been civilized for a little over five thousand years, the lookism adaptation is still as strong as ever in the human brain. Beauty is as popular as ever (although the bar's gone up quite a bit just in the last century), and ugliness is no more desirable. Most people don't differentiate between quality of physical appearance and personal worth- if beauty equals goodness, then ugliness must equal evil. This idea is patently false, but most still accept this myth as being correct, and have done so for centuries. In the 21st Century of Aberrant-era Earth, even the coming of the novas hasn't changed this one whit. Aside from the aforementioned social difficulties faced by ugly people, new ones have arisen. Ugly people must excel in their qualifications in order to compete with better-looking people when applying for a job. Ugly people are less likely to be hired, have lower salaries, and are less likely to be promoted than attractive people who otherwise have equivalent capabilities and qualifications. Ugly people are often used as figures of fun, especially in the media. People like to laugh at ugly people when they know they won't get caught and seem insensitive. Just as television did in the 20th Century, OpNet progams and other forms of media give people an opportunity to enjoy their superficiality without worry of hurting people's feelings. Declaring someone to be ugly has historically been (and still is) cause for hostility, if not outright violence. Even if the insulted person doesn't become hostile, he often becomes depressed and/or suffers the malicious mockery of his peers. It all adds up to being treated as a second-class citizen just because one happens to be ugly.

So how does this affect Mega-Ugly novas? Well, both forms of Mega-Appearance use the lookism inherent in all humans (baselines, novas, etc.) in order to function- Mega-Attractiveness induces an overwhelmingly positive response, while Mega-Ugliness inspires an overwhelmingly negative response. Mega-Ugly novas suffer from all of the problems that ugly baselines face, only multiplied many times over. They have an extremely difficult time trying to make friends, and usually find that winning the affections of possible lovers and spouses is nearly impossible! Both baselines and better-looking novas will tend to write off a Mega-Ugly nova as an evil monster or Taint-prone liability, respectively. A Mega-Ugly nova can also forget about getting a decent-paying job from anyone other than certain Elite agencies like DeVries (where he'll likely end up doing undersea mining) or the organized crime groups like the Camparelli-Zhukov Megasyndicate. After all, they're not complaining about having ScarCrow on their payroll, are they? And then there's the little things that can make life amongst baselines bitter indeed for the Mega-Ugly nova. Being greeted with silence and averted eyes when going to the grocery store or supermarket. Avoiding the neighborhood kids, lest they decide to throw rocks and less-pleasant things at you, heedless of your anger. Receiving regular and unjustified visits from local law enforcement officers, who're just waiting for an excuse to put you in jail and make themselves look good. Being condemned as a demon by the head priest of a local church and his rabid parishoners; or merely being asked to leave when you wish to attend services at a house of worship. Your neighbors either begin looking to move out of the neighborhood at first opportunity, or begin seeking a way to use the local laws to evict you from your own home. Even your family might disown you, or simply stop speaking of you to their friends. And eventually, the Teragen's recruiting offers begin looking more and more attractive...

Finally, there's one last wicked little wrinkle in this situation. Except for those novas who develop the "Eye of the Beholder" aberration (see Aberrant: Brainwaves for details), Mega-Ugly novas still retain the same "lookism circuitry" as do baselines and other novas. Therefore, Mega-Ugly novas will find each other to be just as unappealing as baselines and other novas find them! Mega-Ugly novas are understandably a good deal more tolerant of Mega-Ugliness in general, however. There's nothing quite like shared misery to promote mutual understanding in a social group.

Beauty and the Beast

Unless a Mega-Ugly nova has the "Sexless" aberration (see pg. 93 of the Aberrant Player's Guide), he or she will possess a sex drive that's just as powerful as that of any other nova. A few very fortunate Mega-Ugly novas (who will have only 1-2 dots of Mega-Ugliness) might somehow manage to win the love of a perceptive and wise person of the correct gender, but this goal will be extremely hard to attain. Most Mega-Ugly novas are doomed to failure in romantic endeavors before they even start, which does not make for an optimistic outlook on life.

Ugly Ducklings

Most latent novas who don't like their looks for some reason (due to either being ugly or simply a wholly unremarkable "face in the crowd") tend to become Mega-Attractive upon erupting- as they justifiably feel that their poor appearance is an undeserved burden, that problem is almost certain to be corrected in the eruption process. Latent novas who suffer from Imagined Ugliness Disorder (a specific form of delusion) are the exception to this rule of thumb- the eruption process reshapes their bodies to be in line with their delusional self-image. They also tend to develop a greater amount of permanent Taint upon eruption than other novas- given that they're already mentally disturbed prior to erupting as a nova, it makes them that much more likely to develop permanent Taint and aberrations.

Roleplaying Mega-Ugliness

All right, we've touched on the major issues that a Mega-Ugly nova will be facing on a daily basis, and have looked at the root causes of some of them. So how does one translate all that into roleplaying?

Let's perform a little thought experiment. First, estimate the amount of scorn and discrimination that a fairly ugly specimen of baseline humanity can expect to receive from his better-looking peers. (There's a just-about-even chance that anyone reading this will have known at least one person who's had this particular burden.) Second, think about what effect that mistreatment could have on that unlucky person. How would he deal with the frustration of having 99% of his attempts at social interaction and romantic endeavors being doomed to fail before he even started? Would he become bitter and resentful towards better-looking people? Would he be tired of having other people mock him and express revulsion for his appearance? Would he be sick of enduring the ostracism and discrimination of his better-looking peers? Just how much more of all this could he take before he reaches his limit and decides to retaliate- violently, perhaps- against the people who have caused him so much pain? Now take all that mistreatment and multiply it many times. You now have a rough idea of what a Mega-Ugly nova gets to look forward to whenever he has to interact with baseline society, and often with the better-looking novas as well.

The kicker to all this is that Mega-Ugly novas are just that: phenomenally ugly superhumans. An ugly baseline often has no way to fight against the discrimination he must suffer on a daily basis. That's not the case with Mega-Ugly novas- given the dazzling array of quantum powers and other Mega-Attributes he might possess, a Mega-Ugly nova can lash out against his tormentors in ways that they simply cannot protect themselves from. And once a Mega-Ugly nova begins lashing out at those baselines who've mistreated him, it's a short step from there to lashing out against baseline society in general. That nova also becomes a likely recruit for the Teragen. At least from a baseline viewpoint, it's a recipe for disaster...

Mega-Ugliness and Taint

So how does Mega-Ugliness and Taint interact, as far as the game mechanics go? Do you have to have Taint in order to be Mega-Ugly? Just what makes Anathema an enhancement while Unstable is an aberration? How does a nova with the "Eye of the Beholder" aberration see a Mega-Ugly nova (or a Mega-Attractive nova)? Is Mega-Ugliness a "get out of jail free" card for the problems of Taint accumulation?

These are the main questions that a Storyteller is likely to hear from her players regarding Mega-Ugliness. In the interest of keeping rules lawyers and incessant questions from slowing down one's gaming sessions, we've taken a moment to kindly answer them for you.

<1>- How does Mega-Ugliness and Taint interact?

Answer: Just like any other Mega-Attribute interacts with Taint- you can buy a dot of Mega-Ugliness at half-price by buying it Tainted, which will eventually lead to gaining aberrations derived from that Tainted dot of Mega-Ugliness.

<2>- Do you have to have Taint in order to be Mega-Ugly?

Answer: No, but it certainly helps! While most people would leap at the chance to become Mega-Attractive if it were honestly offered to them, there will always be someone that's an exception. A Taint-free Mega-Ugly nova is possible if one goes strictly by the rules (and such a person would likely have an extremely unpleasant- if wholly rational- personality to begin with), but the majority of Mega-Ugly novas will have accumulated at least four or five points of permanent Taint. As the power (and Taint) levels of the novas in your Aberrant campaign increase over time, both types will become scarier- the Tainted ones will lose themselves to Taint, while the (by comparison) unTainted Mega-Ugly nova becomes more powerful.

<3>- What's the difference between a Mega-Ugliness enhancement and a Mega-Ugliness aberration?

Answer: The same difference between any enhancement and aberration- the first is a superhuman advantage, while the second is a handicap of varying degree. While certainly unpleasant, the Mega-Ugliness enhancements provide distinct advantages to the Mega-Ugly nova who has them. All that Mega-Ugliness aberrations provide is a disadvantage, albeit one that can act as a handy character hook and can make the nova's appearance fairly distinctive.

<4>- How does a nova with the "Eye of the Beholder" aberration (see Aberrant: Brainwaves for details) see a Mega-Ugly nova (or a Mega-Attractive nova)?

Answer: Basically, the effects of both types of Mega-Appearance are reversed in the case of a nova with the "Eye of the Beholder" aberration- Mega-Ugliness will be seen as Mega-Attractiveness, and Mega-Attractiveness will be seen as Mega-Ugliness. In the case of certain Mega-Appearance enhancements, simply apply the alternate version: Anathema for Awe-Inspiring, Bête Noire for First Impression, Gruesome for Rapture, and Minotaur Syndrome for Friendly Face. The Storyteller has the final say on the exact details in your chronicle, as always. Note: There's some excellent potential for twisted comedy here, folks. Just imagine what could happen when a Mega-Ugly nova with "Eye of the Beholder" sees another Mega-Ugly nova who lacks that aberration- and falls in love! Or how about when that Mega-Ugly nova with "Eye of the Beholder" catches sight of a Mega-Attractive teenaged nova girl- and runs away screaming in fright!

<5>- Is Mega-Ugliness a "get out of jail free" card for the problems of Taint accumulation?

Answer: No, of course not! A player cannot use Mega-Ugliness as a means to avoid the effects of Taint accumulation. Mega-Ugly novas are vulnerable to all the problems of both temporary and permanent Taint, just like the other novas. A Mega-Ugly nova can develop aberrations and will suffer the same difficulty penalties on interactions with baselines and less-Tainted novas, provided that he racks up enough permanent Taint. Refer to the Aberrant Core Rulebook (pg.s 148-153) for the sordid details.

Feel free to comment on this, folks! Anything to crowd out all that blasted spam from my e-mail box... ::laugh

Excellent Sprocket! I think you covered all of the necessary points. The "Essay section" is great, and I feel that you captured the prose stylings of Brain-waves. This will be an excellent introduction to the Mega-Ugly section of Mega-Appearance chapter (err section, but I am getting tired of using that word ::blush ).

the section labeled "Roleplaying Mega-Uglyness" The first paragraph seems mostly to be in a different narative voice, almost "casual" compared to the more athoratative voice of the previous chapters. (Note I like what it has to say, I just felt like there was a different narator in the prose in that section.)

Keep up the great work!

Re: altered narrative tone in "Roleplaying Mega-Ugliness"-

::biggrin Yeah, you've got me there, Gideon- I did switch the narrative tone, but I felt it was necessary in order to get the required points across to the readers.

Well, I've finally gone and spruced up the components of the Mega-Ugliness chapter, and have assembled them in the way they would appear in the finished Mega-Social E-book. Aside from some minor spelling corrections and sentence clarifications, the only changes have been the addition of a new section in the "essays" component (The New Pariahs) and the reworking of the beginning of the aberrations component into the format established in Aberrant: Brainwaves. Look it over, and tell me what you think, folks. ::cool Provided that we can all agree that we're finished with Mega-Ugliness for now, I think I'll go ahead and spruce up the "new aberrations" components of the other three Social Mega-Attribute chapters.

Oh, and one last thing: We need nicknames (derogatory and otherwise) for the Mega-Ugly novas! I've already established "Squids" as a major nickname in the text, generally due to how often it's been used in the Trinity setting material. We could really use about five or six more, though... ::devil

The Flipside of Mega-Appearance: Mega-Ugliness

With the release of the Adventure! core rulebook, a major change was introduced in the way that the Social attribute of Appearance functioned. Instead of acting as a measure of a character's physical beauty, Appearance now reflected how memorable the character's looks were to other people. Now, players and Storytellers had the option of creating characters who could be anything from somewhat homely to downright ugly, instead of being just another pretty face in the crowd.

As it was released prior to Adventure!, the Aberrant core rulebook still used the previous version of the Appearance attribute, but offered the possibility of creating a Mega-Ugly nova instead of your more common Mega-Attractive nova. The Attribute/Mega-Attribute system mechanics had to be tinkered with somewhat, but it worked well enough for the few who wanted to play a Mega-Ugly nova. Unfortunately, space constrictions prevented the writers of Aberrant from going into Mega-Ugliness in the level of detail it deserved. With all this in mind, we now offer revised variants of both Appearance and Mega-Appearance that are oriented towards describing physically unattractive characters in the Aberrant setting.

Appearance (Ugliness variant)

The Ugliness variant of the Appearance attribute is a combination of physical unattractiveness and innate offensiveness. Whether due to having been horribly disfigured in an accident or beaten with the ugly stick, this variant Attribute measures your character's ability to make a negative first impression or to generate an instinctive response in others.

Qualities: Charred, Nauseating, Nightmarish, Perversely Fascinating, Putrefied, Scabrous, Skanky.

1 dot- Poor: You're vaguely unappealing, but otherwise unremarkable. People forget your face easily.

2 dots- Average: You're quite homely, yet still within the lower range of what's considered "normal".

3 dots- Good: You turn stomachs when you enter a room.

4 dots- Exceptional: You could work in a carnival sideshow- or you might've escaped from one.

5 dots- Superb: You're simply unforgettable, much to the dismay of those who catch sight of you.

Mega-Ugliness

Similar to the more socially acceptable version of Mega-Appearance, Mega-Ugliness represents a nova whose looks are more shockingly hideous than the most deformed and repellent baselines who have ever lived. Such a nova will never be able to pass for human (barring use of the Mr. Nobody enhancement), and those baselines not panicked by the Mega-Ugly nova's appearance will still be sickened and disgusted by his looks. And just as baseline society adores Mega-Attractive novas, they revile the much rarer Mega-Ugly novas. These novas are depicted in the media as antisocial and cruel monsters whose minds are as twisted by the effects of Taint as their bodies- and nine times out of ten, they are absolutely correct. The few exceptions to this typically don't get much favorable media exposure, so the preconception endures.

Mega-Ugliness is dependent on the Ugliness version of Appearance in exactly the same way that the other Mega-Attributes depend on their respective base Attributes.

Mega-Ugly characters receive bonus dice for their Intimidation rolls instead of Style- being superhumanly hideous is great when you want to frighten other people, but it can't help make a horrid outfit look good.

1 dot- Stupendous: Compared to you, Quasimodo looks like your average working Joe Sixpack. You receive one extra die for all Intimidation rolls (in addition to your Mega-Appearance dice).

2 dots- Amazing: Babies and small children scream when they see you, and their parents tend to cringe. You receive two extra dice for all Intimidation rolls.

3 dots- Incredible: You creep the hell out of just about everyone you encounter, nova and baseline alike. You receive three extra dice for all Intimidation rolls.

4 dots- Spectacular: Simply getting a good look at you is enough to give the average baseline shrieking nightmares for a week at least. You receive four extra dice for all Intimidation rolls.

5 dots- Godlike: "Get that thing AWAY from me!" You receive five extra dice for all Intimidation rolls.

Note: Mega-Ugliness at ratings of 6 dots and higher provides equivalent bonuses to those of standard Mega-Appearance at the same rating. Check with your Storyteller for details of how high-level Mega-Attributes other than Mega-Strength and Mega-Stamina work in your game. The effects of Mega-Strength and Mega-Stamina at ratings of 6+ are detailed in the Aberrant Player's Guide, pg.s 101-103.

Mega-Ugliness: Squids

It's an unfortunate fact of life- humans tend to judge each other by their appearance when other data is lacking. If a person is ugly, other people usually think that he's also mentally deficient and has a rotten personality to boot. Given that a Mega-Ugly nova is by definition more hideous and repellent than any baseline who has ever lived, one can easily see why many baselines automatically assume that Mega-Ugly novas are just as monstrous in mind and soul as they appear to be in body. And given that unearned mistreatment and degradation is often all that baseline society will offer Mega-Ugly novas, it's equally easy to see why so many of them end up becoming just as hostile and sociopathic as baselines fear them to be.

Mega-Ugliness and Lookism

To understand why Mega-Ugly novas end up receiving this sort of treatment from most baselines; we have to examine "lookism" (also known as beauty prejudice), how it functions, and why humans have it at all. Unlike most other prejudices, lookism is an evolved survival mechanism for life in cultures with little or no technology. It works as an amoral pragmatism and functions on an unconscious level. Even human infants are influenced by lookism, as it's "hardwired" into our brains. Most people are totally unaware of being influenced by lookism- since it's an innate brain function, most would consider it a fundamental part of "being human". This "lookism circuitry" allows us to distinguish between beauty and ugliness, and rewards us with a feeling of pleasure when we look at beautiful things. Ugly things, of course, inspire distaste. (Even ugly people are repelled by ugliness- both their own and that of others.) It also establishes that humans possess hardwired criteria for both obvious beauty and obvious ugliness, above and beyond cultural and subjective notions of what is and isn't attractive. Note: Like any other instinctual response, the effects of lookism can be recognized and moderated by a person who's willing to learn to control himself.

The obvious application was for deciding what to eat and drink (fresh fruit instead of overripe fruit, freshly-caught trout instead of a rotten turtle carcass, clear water from the river instead of green water from a stagnant pond, etc.), so that primitive humans could tell what was good to eat without having to risk their stomachs (and their lives) every time they came across something new. Those who didn't develop lookism tended to die more often, usually from eating something they shouldn't have.

Lookism was also beneficial in that it let primitive humans judge each other's viability and health as well. Ugly infants were less likely to survive in savage surroundings- cute babies advertised their health and viability, and were deemed to be more worthwhile investments by primitive mothers. Ugly children are still more likely to suffer parental abuse and/or neglect- since they're less likely to live anyway, why would a Stone-Age parent waste energy treating them well? Ugliness in teens and adults signified reduced chances of survival- they were in poorer health and had a lesser chance of siring or bearing successful young. Signs of old age were also considered ugly, as was body asymmetry and other deformities. And again, those primitive humans without the lookism adaptation were less likely to survive.

Since humans have only been civilized for a little over five thousand years, the lookism adaptation still has strong influence over the human brain. Beauty is as popular as ever (although the bar's gone up quite a bit just in the last century), and ugliness is no more desirable. Most people don't differentiate between quality of physical appearance and personal worth- if beauty equals goodness, then ugliness must equal evil. This idea is patently false, but most still accept this myth as being correct, and have done so for centuries. In the 21st Century of Aberrant-era Earth, even the coming of the novas hasn't changed this one whit. Aside from the aforementioned social difficulties faced by ugly people, new ones have arisen. Ugly people must excel in their qualifications in order to compete with better-looking people when applying for a job. Ugly people are less likely to be hired, have lower salaries, and are less likely to be promoted than attractive people who otherwise have equivalent capabilities and qualifications. Ugly people are often used as figures of fun, especially in the media. People like to laugh at ugly people when they know they won't get caught and seem insensitive. Just as television did in the 20th Century, OpNet programs and other forms of media give people an opportunity to enjoy their superficiality without worry of hurting people's feelings. Declaring someone to be ugly has historically been (and still is) cause for hostility, if not outright violence. Even if the insulted person doesn't become hostile, he often becomes depressed and/or suffers the malicious mockery of his peers. It all adds up to being treated as a second-class citizen just because one happens to be ugly.

So how does this affect Mega-Ugly novas? Well, both forms of Mega-Appearance use the lookism inherent in all humans (baselines, novas, etc.) in order to function- Mega-Attractiveness induces an overwhelmingly positive response, while Mega-Ugliness inspires an overwhelmingly negative response. Mega-Ugly novas suffer from all of the problems that ugly baselines face, only multiplied many times over. They have an extremely difficult time trying to make friends, and usually find that winning the affections of possible lovers and spouses is nearly impossible! Both baselines and better-looking novas will tend to write off a Mega-Ugly nova as an evil monster or Taint-prone liability, respectively. A Mega-Ugly nova can also forget about getting a decent-paying job from anyone other than certain Elite agencies like DeVries (where he'll likely end up doing undersea mining) or the organized crime groups like the Camparelli-Zhukov Megasyndicate. After all, they're not complaining about having ScarCrow on their payroll, are they? And then there's the little things that can make life amongst baselines bitter indeed for the Mega-Ugly nova. Being greeted with silence and averted eyes when going to the grocery store or supermarket. Avoiding the neighborhood kids, lest they decide to throw rocks and less-pleasant things at you, heedless of your anger. Receiving regular and unjustified visits from local law enforcement officers, who're just waiting for an excuse to put you in jail and make themselves look good. Being condemned as a demon by the head priest of a local church and his rabid parishioners; or merely being asked to leave when you wish to attend services at a house of worship. Your neighbors either begin looking to move out of the neighborhood at first opportunity, or begin seeking a way to use the local laws to evict you from your own home. Even your family might disown you, or simply stop speaking of you to their friends. And eventually, the Teragen's recruiting offers begin looking more and more attractive...

Finally, there's one last wicked little wrinkle in this situation. Except for those novas who develop the "Eye of the Beholder" aberration (see Aberrant: Brainwaves for details), Mega-Ugly novas still retain the same "lookism circuitry" as do baselines and other novas. Therefore, Mega-Ugly novas will find each other to be just as unappealing as baselines and other novas find them! Mega-Ugly novas are understandably a good deal more tolerant of Mega-Ugliness in general, however. There's nothing quite like shared misery to promote mutual understanding in a social group.

Beauty and the Beast

Unless a Mega-Ugly nova has the "Sexless" aberration (see pg. 93 of the Aberrant Player's Guide), he or she will possess a sex drive that's just as powerful as that of any other nova. A few very fortunate Mega-Ugly novas (who will have only 1-2 dots of Mega-Ugliness) might somehow manage to win the love of a perceptive and wise person of the correct gender, but this goal will be extremely hard to attain. Most Mega-Ugly novas are doomed to failure in romantic endeavors before they even start, which does not make for an optimistic outlook on life.

Ugly Ducklings

Most latent novas who don't like their looks for some reason (due to either being ugly or simply a wholly unremarkable "face in the crowd") tend to become Mega-Attractive upon erupting- as they justifiably feel that their poor appearance is an undeserved burden, that problem is almost certain to be corrected in the eruption process. Latent novas who suffer from Imagined Ugliness Disorder (a specific form of delusion) are the exception to this rule of thumb- the eruption process reshapes their bodies to be in line with their delusional self-image. They also tend to develop a greater amount of permanent Taint upon eruption than other novas- given that they're already mentally disturbed prior to erupting as a nova, it makes them that much more likely to develop permanent Taint and aberrations.

Roleplaying Mega-Ugliness

All right, we've touched on the major issues that a Mega-Ugly nova will be facing on a daily basis, and have looked at the root causes of some of them. So how does one translate all that into roleplaying?

Let's perform a little thought experiment. First, estimate the amount of scorn and discrimination that a fairly ugly specimen of baseline humanity can expect to receive from his better-looking peers. (There's a just-about-even chance that anyone reading this will have known at least one person who's had this particular burden.) Second, think about what effect that mistreatment could have on that unlucky person. How would he deal with the frustration of having 99% of his attempts at social interaction and romantic endeavors being doomed to fail before he even started? Would he become bitter and resentful towards better-looking people? Would he be tired of having other people mock him and express revulsion for his appearance? Would he be sick of enduring the ostracism and discrimination of his better-looking peers? Just how much more of all this could he take before he reaches his limit and decides to retaliate- violently, perhaps- against the people who have caused him so much pain? Now take all that mistreatment and multiply it many times. You now have a rough idea of what a Mega-Ugly nova gets to look forward to whenever he has to interact with baseline society, and often with the better-looking novas as well.

The kicker to all this is that Mega-Ugly novas are just that: phenomenally ugly superhumans. An ugly baseline often has no way to fight against the discrimination he must suffer on a daily basis. That's not the case with Mega-Ugly novas- given the dazzling array of quantum powers and other Mega-Attributes he might possess, a Mega-Ugly nova can lash out against his tormentors in ways that they simply cannot protect themselves from. And once a Mega-Ugly nova begins lashing out at those baselines who've mistreated him, it's a short step from there to lashing out against baseline society in general. That nova also becomes a likely recruit for the Teragen. At least from a baseline viewpoint, it's a recipe for disaster...

The New Pariahs

While all novas are the ultimate outsiders, Mega-Ugly novas go beyond the pale- they are the ultimate outcasts. While other novas might still be able to entertain the hope of fitting in, Mega-Ugly novas have no such illusions. Historically, baseline humanity has always been unkind to those it deems to be defective. Infants born with deformities were either killed at birth or left to die at the fangs and claws of whatever wild predators happen to be around at the time. Amniocentesis and genetic screening perform the same task today, for those who can afford it. The poor face the risk of having a "special child", which is typically understood to mean "useless burden and financial drain." People who suffer from crippling injures or diseases are also demoted to monsterhood, unless they're rich- and even then, they're condescended to by "normal" people. Humans with mental disorders make up the third strata of the monster class. And they all give most "normal" humans the creeps. Upstanding "normal" people don't want any monsters around, so they get rid of them somehow- and death has always been a popular solution to this problem. In modern times these unfortunates are usually banished from society into some form of incarceration (also known as nursing homes, mental hospitals, rehab facilities, etc.). Some are also given work at a "sheltered workshop" (where they toil at an often hazardous and always degrading assembly or disassembly line for pennies a day as slave labor for the benefit of a "normal" businessman). As for those who manage to remain free? They get to deal with "normal" people; many of whom stare rudely, assume patronizing attitudes, and offer to "help" them (usually into one of the aforementioned incarceration facilities for monsters, where they can be safely forgotten about).

As one would expect, "normal" baselines see Mega-Ugly novas as just another kind of monster, but with one vital difference: these monsters can and will fight back. They can't be locked away like a deformed, disabled, or mentally disturbed baseline. Try to exploit them, and you could very well end up dead- if you're lucky. This makes Mega-Ugly novas a clear threat in the eyes of most "normal" baselines, but there's also an element of bigotry mixed in with the fear. "How dare these monsters show their hideous faces in our nice, normal community?! How dare they pollute our happy, normal lives with their presence?! How dare they protest the manner in which we treat them?! How dare they reject our attempts to help them and make them normal?! How dare they act as if they were human beings/real citizens/worthwhile people like us normal folks?! How dare these subhuman creatures forget their ordained place in our society?!"

The bottom line is this: for most Mega-Ugly novas, there is simply no way to live in baseline society without suffering massive prejudice, discrimination, and degradation. It's not a question of if they will eventually lash out against baseline society- it's a question of when. Conflict is assured.

Mega-Ugliness and Taint

So how does Mega-Ugliness and Taint interact, as far as the game mechanics go? Do you have to have Taint in order to be Mega-Ugly? Just what makes Anathema an enhancement while Unstable is an aberration? How does a nova with the "Eye of the Beholder" aberration see a Mega-Ugly nova (or a Mega-Attractive nova)? Is Mega-Ugliness a "get out of jail free" card for the problems of Taint accumulation?

These are the main questions that a Storyteller is likely to hear from her players regarding Mega-Ugliness. In the interest of keeping rules lawyers and incessant questions from slowing down one's gaming sessions, we've taken a moment to kindly answer them for you.

<1>- How does Mega-Ugliness and Taint interact?

Answer: Just like any other Mega-Attribute interacts with Taint- you can buy a dot of Mega-Ugliness at half-price by buying it Tainted, which will eventually lead to gaining aberrations derived from that Tainted dot of Mega-Ugliness.

<2>- Do you have to have Taint in order to be Mega-Ugly?

Answer: No, but it certainly helps! While most people would leap at the chance to become Mega-Attractive if it were honestly offered to them, there will always be someone that's an exception. A Taint-free Mega-Ugly nova is possible if one goes strictly by the rules (and such a person would likely have an extremely unpleasant- if wholly rational- personality to begin with), but the majority of Mega-Ugly novas will have accumulated at least four or five points of permanent Taint. As the power (and Taint) levels of the novas in your Aberrant campaign increase over time, both types will become scarier- the Tainted ones will lose themselves to Taint, while the (by comparison) non-Tainted Mega-Ugly nova becomes more powerful.

<3>- What's the difference between a Mega-Ugliness enhancement and a Mega-Ugliness aberration?

Answer: The same difference between any enhancement and aberration- the first is a superhuman advantage, while the second is a handicap of varying degree. While certainly unpleasant, the Mega-Ugliness enhancements provide distinct advantages to the Mega-Ugly nova who has them. All that Mega-Ugliness aberrations provide is a disadvantage, albeit one that can act as a handy character hook and can make the nova's appearance fairly distinctive.

<4>- How does a nova with the "Eye of the Beholder" aberration (see Aberrant: Brainwaves for details) see a Mega-Ugly nova (or a Mega-Attractive nova)?

Answer: Basically, the effects of both types of Mega-Appearance are reversed in the case of a nova with the "Eye of the Beholder" aberration- Mega-Ugliness will be seen as Mega-Attractiveness, and Mega-Attractiveness will be seen as Mega-Ugliness. In the case of certain Mega-Appearance enhancements, simply apply the alternate version: Anathema for Awe-Inspiring, Bête Noire for First Impression, Gruesome for Rapture, and Minotaur Syndrome for Friendly Face. The Storyteller has the final say on the exact details in your chronicle, as always. Note: There's some excellent potential for twisted comedy here, folks. Just imagine what could happen when a Mega-Ugly nova with "Eye of the Beholder" sees another Mega-Ugly nova who lacks that aberration- and falls in love! Or how about when that Mega-Ugly nova with "Eye of the Beholder" catches sight of a Mega-Attractive teenaged nova girl- and runs away screaming in fright!

<5>- Is Mega-Ugliness a "get out of jail free" card for the problems of Taint accumulation?

Answer: No, of course not! A player cannot use Mega-Ugliness as a means to avoid the effects of Taint accumulation. Mega-Ugly novas are vulnerable to all the problems of both temporary and permanent Taint, just like the other novas. A Mega-Ugly nova can develop aberrations and will suffer the same difficulty penalties on interactions with baselines and less-Tainted novas, provided that he racks up enough permanent Taint. Refer to the Aberrant Core Rulebook (pg.s 148-153) for the sordid details.

New Mega-Ugliness Enhancements

Anathema

Ever since language was invented, human talespinners have told stories about monsters whose mere presence was horrific enough to make even the fiercest warriors quake in fear. A Mega-Ugly nova with this enhancement is the living embodiment of that tradition, as the sheer malevolence of his visage is simply too much for ordinary people to deal with. And even in the 21st Century, people can still feel the caveman's instinctive fear of the terrors that lurk in the darkness, just beyond the edge of the campfire's light...

A Mega-Ugly nova with this enhancement inspires dread, horror, and feelings of helplessness in those around him. As with Awe-Inspiring, normal humans often have trouble dealing with an Anathematic nova in a straightforward manner. Weak-willed people will seek to flee his presence at the first opportunity, and even those folks with stronger wills tend to feel intimidated, inadequate, and cowed. If an Anathematic nova walks through a crowded public area- like a shopping mall, perhaps- you can bet that everyone else there will either flee the vicinity or do their best to hide and evade the Anathematic nova's notice.

System: This enhancement works only when the people are in the nova's presence and looking at him. Mega-Ugly novas with Anathema receive 1 automatic success per dot of Mega-Ugliness on rolls for Intimidation and Interrogation (in addition to the standard Mega-Attribute bonuses for Mega-Ugliness). Anathematic novas should also receive that same bonus to any roll related to evoking despair and feelings of helplessness in other people. Finally, those Inspired beings an Anathematic nova faces in combat must make a Willpower roll at standard difficulties- if they acquire enough successes to match or exceed the Anathematic nova's Mega-Ugliness rating, they can fight normally. Those who fail will have their Initiative ratings reduced by 1 point per dot of Mega-Ugliness possessed by the Anathematic nova. Baselines and other non-Inspired beings will automatically have their Initiative ratings reduced- don't even bother rolling.

Unlike Awe-Inspiring, Anathema isn't negatively affected by Taint- it practically depends on it!

This enhancement costs 1 quantum point to activate and lasts for a scene. Even when it isn't actively "on", the Anathematic nova is still extremely horrifying, and the Storyteller should keep this in mind. (People will automatically assume that the nova is a monster, animals will be frightened by him, and so on.)

Bête Noire

Mega-Ugly novas with this enhancement excel at making first impressions of a highly unpleasant nature. Rather than appealing to the subject's desires, they evoke the subject's fears instead. Whatever the other person dreads, he will find it in a Mega-Ugly nova with this enhancement.

System: When meeting someone for the first time (or after a long time apart), the Mega-Ugly nova may spend 1 q.p. to activate this enhancement and automatically make the most threatening first impression possible on that person. The Mega-Ugly nova may deliberately say or do something to negate this effect, but an accidental faux pas won't be enough. The bad impression will remain with the other person until the Mega-Ugly nova does something to disprove it, either in person or via media reports- it's hard to pass oneself off as Evil Incarnate if the media catches you selflessly coming to the rescue of innocent baselines. Other people may also negate the effects of this enhancement by convincing the target that he or she was wrong about the Mega-Ugly nova. Use of this enhancement has been known to backfire, however- in some cases it can amount to putting a bullseye on one's chest and daring the subject to take a shot.

This enhancement also makes the Mega-Ugly nova seem to be whatever the subject deems to be most frightening and dangerous to him or her. Clever novas with the Telepathy power use this enhancement to discover that information, in order to use it and validate the subject's fears. If the target is involved in criminal activities, she'll think that the Mega-Ugly nova has both the goods on her and the willingness to use that information against her. In social situations, this will make the Mega-Ugly nova seem like the absolute last person in the world that the other person would want to either deal or interfere with.

Disquieting

Some things are so appallingly grotesque that people tend to suffer a momentary psychological dysfunction as they attempt to comprehend the sheer repellence on display before them. Some Mega-Ugly novas have learned to take advantage of this, as it can grant them a few precious seconds when it counts.

System: The Mega-Ugly nova's horrendous looks are enough to give most anyone pause. Anyone looking upon the Mega-Ugly nova for the first time must make a Willpower roll or be frozen in shock for one turn. Disquieting novas can use that time to do whatever they please, although attacking a victim of this enhancement is more than enough to jar him out of this temporary dysfunctional state. This has no effect on other Mega-Ugly novas (who are familiar with superhuman ugliness) or most aliens (whose own ideas on beauty and ugliness will likely have no congruence with those of humanity). This enhancement has no quantum point cost and is always in effect, barring use of the Mr. Nobody enhancement.

Gruesome

A Mega-Ugly nova with this enhancement is superhumanly nauseating enough that simply looking at him is enough to cause severe gastronomical distress to those unlucky enough to behold him. Even hardened people such as slaughterhouse workers, morticians and sewer inspectors are sickened by a Gruesome nova.

System: The nova can make people who can see him feel sufficient disgust to suffer acute nausea with the expenditure of a quantum point. The nova's targets must roll Mega-Stamina at + [the nova's Mega-Ugliness] difficulties to avoid vomiting and/or retching. Treat targets of this enhancement as having been Dazed- (see Aberrant core book, pg. 249), save that the Gruesome nova's targets don't suffer bashing damage.

This enhancement affects everyone who can see the nova (line-of-sight), costs 1 quantum point to use, and can only be used once per turn.

Mind-Shattering Horror

Prerequisites: Mega-Ugliness at 6+ dots, and either Face of Terror or Sheer Hideousness.

Ever since the works of H.P. Lovecraft became popular, horror writers have propounded the idea that there are some sights that Man Was Never Meant To See. A Mega-Ugly nova with this enhancement is a perfect example of this Lovecraftian ideal, as the sight of him is enough to cause permanent psychological damage to the minds of lesser men and women. Fortunately, that description doesn't apply to the Inspired...

System: The Mega-Ugly nova spends 1 quantum point and rolls his Mega-Ugliness against the Willpower of any non-Inspired being unlucky enough to see him clearly. (Thick smoke or other visual impediments sufficient to cause a minimum of +2 difficulty penalties to Vision rolls will be enough to prevent this enhancement from functioning) If the nova scores more net successes on that roll, the victim gains a permanent mental disorder chosen by the Storyteller. This enhancement affects everyone who can clearly see the Mega-Ugly nova (line-of-sight), costs 1 quantum point to use, and lasts until the end of the scene.

Minotaur Syndrome

While the superhumanly poor looks of Mega-Ugly novas can provoke fear reactions in baselines, those with this enhancement do so in spades. The face of a Mega-Ugly nova with the Minotaur Syndrome looks vicious enough to terrify people who don't know him personally. The downside to this is that any attempts the Mega-Ugly nova may make to engage in friendly socializing with strangers will be severely hampered.

System: The nova gains + 6 automatic successes on all hostile Social-based rolls involving strangers, who will see the nova as being a vicious, cruel, hateful, and unremittingly hostile brute. While this can help in demoralizing one's foes in combat and other dangerous situations, it's also a major impediment in the nova's social life: the nova automatically loses 3 successes from all non-hostile Social-based rolls involving strangers. Note to Storytellers: those people who come to know the nova are entirely immune to the effects of this enhancement. This can be helpful for interacting with friends and family, but has its drawbacks if the nova's foes become familiar with him. The benefits and drawbacks of this enhancement are cumulative with other Mega-Social enhancements. This enhancement is permanent, and has no quantum point cost.

Banned Enhancements: As Mega-Ugliness is a measurement of how repellent and frightening the nova's appearance is to other people, it's only reasonable for the Storyteller to forbid Mega-Ugly novas from having any Mega-Appearance enhancements that are dependent on personal beauty and sex appeal. This is balanced out by the existence of Mega-Appearance enhancements available only to Mega-Ugly novas. Several Mega-Appearance enhancements that should be banned to Mega-Ugly novas are listed below.

(Aberrant Core Book)- Awe-Inspiring, First Impression, Seductive Looks.

(Aberrant Compendium)- Friendly Face, Natural Style, Ouevre d'Art, Rapture, Splendor.

Altered Enhancements: Three Mega-Appearance enhancements from the Aberrant Compendium can be used with Mega-Ugliness, albeit with skewed effects. They are listed below.

Ageless: While this enhancement still makes it extremely difficult to estimate the Mega-Ugly nova's physical age, it will inspire revulsion instead of attraction. The Mega-Ugly nova will always be seen as being "horribly wrong" instead of "just right", limiting the usefulness of this enhancement.

Timeless: This enhancement allows the Mega-Ugly nova to ignore all Appearance-based penalties derived from superficial, cultural, and temporal notions of what is considered frightening and repellent.

Universal Appeal: This enhancement lets the Mega-Ugly nova retain his horrifying looks no matter what form he assumes via the Shapeshift power, which can be helpful on missions to spread terror.

Mega-Ugliness Aberrations

Aberrations linked to Mega-Ugliness can be of any type, but are bound by the common theme of grotesquerie. Physical aberrations are the most common, but mental aberrations can develop as a result of the stresses and frustrations that are suffered by Mega-Ugly novas. The following aberrations tend to be found only in novas with one dot of Mega-Ugliness.

Common aberrations from Aberrant and the Aberrant Player's Guide for Mega-Ugly novas include Aberrant Eyes, Bad Temper, Bipolar Disorder, Colored Skin, Delusions, Hardened Skin, Hormonal Imbalance (Lust), Hormonal Imbalance (Rage), Oozing Skin, Sadism, Scales, Sexless, Sheer Hideousness, Sloughed Flesh, Twisted Limbs, and Vestigial Limbs. Some of the aberrations from the Mega-Appearance section of this book can be used for Mega-Ugly novas as well; namely Aberrant Hair, Chromatic Hair, Distinctive Looks, Piecemeal Metamorphosis, and Strange Scent.

Low-Level Aberrations

Cyclops: Instead of having two eyes, a nova with this aberration has only one eye, which is situated directly above his nose. Aside from the difficulties of having only one functional eye (+1 difficulty to all ranged attack and dodge rolls, +2 difficulty to Perception rolls); the nova will be unable to use many kinds of eye-protection and vision-enhancing devices.

Deformed Cranium: The shape of the nova's skull becomes altered by Taint. Possible deformities include a Mayan-style bound head, craniosyntosis, or a skull that comes to a point on the top (anyone remember Zippy the Pinhead?). As permanent Taint accumulates, this could lead to a head structure as inhuman and bizarre as that of the aberrant Anders Nash (see Darkness Revealed 1: Descent Into Darkness, for Trinity).

Disease Stigmata: The Taint of a nova with this aberration cosmetically mimics the disfiguring effects of a specific disease chosen by the Storyteller. Despite appearances (pun intended), the nova suffers no actual effects of the disease beyond the disfigurement. While this aberration can aid the nova in passing himself off as a diseased baseline, he likewise runs the risk of being mistaken for a contagious disease-carrier.

Gill Flaps: The nova has manifested nonfunctional gills on either his cheeks or the sides of his neck. While both versions are incredibly obvious, having large apertures in your cheeks can make dining in polite company a trial at best.

Infested: The nova is covered with some form of parasitic vermin or microlife (algae, fungi, bacterial colonies, etc.) that literally lives off of his body. Aside from making the nova bear a strong resemblance to day-old roadkill, the infesting organisms will cause 1 health level of bashing damage per day due to their constant feeding off of the nova's flesh. If the infesting organisms are flight-capable insects, they might also swarm around the nova, incurring a difficulty penalty on the nova's Stealth rolls equal to his permanent Taint. Infested novas with the Regeneration enhancement can choose to forfeit a quantum point instead of the health level, as they can heal the damage quickly for a price. Infested novas with the Adaptability enhancement will find that it will allow whatever is infesting them to survive right along with them; so the nova can't get rid of the infestation by taking a quick bath in molten lava, for example.

Lipless: The nova's lips have withered away, leaving his teeth and gums constantly exposed. Aside from looking fairly unpleasant, this aberration also results in constant drooling and an impediment of the nova's speech. Unless the nova wears a mask covering his lower face, he can expect people to reflexively shudder in disgust when they first catch sight of him.

Neurofibroma: Benign tumors sprout from the nova's flesh at a chosen location on the nova's skin surface. The tumors may either take the form of spheroid 'bubbles' or 'floppy folds of flesh'- both varieties look awful and can cause difficulties in using certain equipment. As the nova's permanent Taint accumulates, the tumors will eventually grow to cover most or all of his skin surface. Depending on the particulars of this aberration, this can lead to the nova manifesting other aberrations later on- Oozing Skin if the spheroid tumors begin leaking bodily fluids, Sensory Impairment if the fold tumors grow from the nova's face, and so forth.

Spurs: The nova has sprouted spiny projections of some sort at various body locations- they cannot be used to do any real damage (that requires Body Modification: Spines), but they look highly unpleasant. They can also make wearing non-eufiber clothing difficult at best. Various forms of spurs include bony projections, pseudo-claws, and mesa-like ossified skin tumors.

Throat Sac: A huge fleshy pouch grows on the throat of a nova with this aberration. It usually looks like a large goiter, but can inflate to grotesque proportions when the nova makes a loud vocalization or draws a deep breath. As the nova's Taint progresses, the throat sac will usually acquire a vivid coloration. This aberration is often manifested by novas with tongue-tendrils or voice-based sonic powers.

Medium-Level Aberrations

Altered Mouth: The structure of the nova's mouth has been radically altered into something totally inhuman. Possible forms of this aberration include insectoid mandibles or a proboscis, a lamprey-style rasping sucker, a beak like those of birds or cephalopods, vertically-oriented jaws, or something grotesquely complex like the mouth structure of the aliens from the Predator movies. Novas with this aberration are not likely to get many kisses on the mouth, and may face dining difficulties.

Cephalothorax: The nova's head & thorax (aka the torso from the diaphragm on up) have fused into a single structure, with the nova having no discernable neck. While this usually results in the nova having an enlarged face and mouth (which is often a fanged maw), this aberration may also indicate a headless state, with the cranial organs located elsewhere in the nova's body.

Mega-Filthy: For one reason or another the nova is always filthy, no matter what attempts are made to clean him. Whether this manifests as horrendously poor personal hygiene or being continually coated in a quantum-generated layer of some particularly odious substance, this aberration will effectively make the Mega-Filthy nova a pariah in polite company.

Myriad Feature: A nova with this aberration will manifest multiple nonfunctional sensory organs or mouths situated on various places on the nova's body. The extra organs will all be of one type (such as eyes), totally useless, and of uniformly horrid appearance.

Psyche Mirror: A nova with this aberration straddles the chasm between the "Mega-Attractive" and "Mega-Ugliness" versions of Mega-Appearance, as quality of his looks has become dependent on his state of mind. The basic version of this aberration has the nova become Mega-Attractive when acting with benevolent intent, and Mega-Ugly when acting with malevolent intent; which will send a clear signal to other people about what the nova's intent is with a little observation. Alternatively, the nova could become Mega-Ugly when acting with benevolent intent and Mega-Attractive when acting with malevolent intent. It's difficult to help people when your looks frighten them out of their wits, while doing nasty things while wearing your best face can cause all sorts of public relations problems for other novas in general and Mega-Attractive novas in particular. The Storyteller is encouraged to apply whichever version that will prove to be more frustrating to the player of the nova who develops this aberration. Neither version of this aberration can be controlled by the nova who manifests it in any way whatsoever.

Skinless: Mega-Ugly novas with this aberration have lost their skins entirely, turning them into living displays suitable for anatomy lessons. Aside from the horrifying appearance, a Skinless nova will also permanently lose one Bashing Health Level, as he or she lacks the protection provided by skin.

High-Level Aberrations

Alien Visage: The body structure of a nova with this aberration loses any resemblance to that of baseline humanity, becoming a bizarre horror that could have come straight out of H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos. The premier example of a nova with this aberration is the Scaled Goddess (see Asia Ascendant), who has become a physical duplicate of one of Lovecraft's race of cone-shaped alien entities. Other examples include several Trinity-era aberrants who appear to be crawling masses of tentacles, or giant insectoid horrors.

Unstable: This aberration causes the nova's body to be constantly throbbing, pulsating, and changing shape in an utterly revolting manner. The nova's torso and limbs will also be constantly altered in their length and thickness. Baselines (and most novas) tend to become nauseated by the mere sight of seeing living flesh behaving like some kind of horrid animated gelatin- actually coming into physical contact with an Unstable nova can turn even the strongest of stomachs. As an added burden, an Unstable nova will automatically fail any Stealth roll that is dependent on his being either physically still or silent without the use of appropriate quantum powers- the constant motions and disgusting sounds produced by the Unstable nova's always-shifting flesh won't cease for anything short of his death or the removal of this aberration. The effects of this aberration cannot be controlled by the Unstable nova in any way whatsoever.

I don't if this fits or not ,but here is something........

New Mega-Ugly Enhancement.....

Creeepy as Hell

Some Mega-Ugly Nova stick out in a crowd because of their extreme appearence; however others do for some undefinable quality. This enhancement reflects those types of novas. There is something almost undefinable about the character that attracts negative attention & creeps observers out. Individuals find their eyes constantly drawn to the character & themselves revilled for some reason. The Mega-Ugly in this case may look completely normal, but there is just something about them that is aweful creepy. Quantum researchers theorize that these type of novas somehow tap the fear centers of the brain to consistantly produce a sensation of unease in anyone viewing them.

System: The nova with this enhancement be cause observers to feel an extreme creepyness at his or her mere appearence. People will constantly stare at them. Consequently anyone within sight range of the nova receive a +1 difficulty to any task other then staring & being creeped out by the nova. The victims may resist with a Willpower roll (which includes a +1 difficulty per point of the Nova's Mega- Ugliness). This effect last 1 scene & cost 1 quantum to activate.

What do you all think?

Sprocket:

A thought for Mega-Uglyness 5. This would make the antithisis a little more clear by pointing out that while MEga-Appearance 5 makes you attractive to another alien species, mega-Ugly does somthing similar. Besides it would be nice to know that even a pulsating skinless, aberrant will get kicked-on in space by chitenous slimy monstrous aliens.. ::biggrin Ah! a face that can start a war of alien genocide... ::biggrin

The line I would like to suggest being added is in bold...

5 dots- Godlike: "Get that thing AWAY from me!" Even alien species find your appearance disturbing and unnatural. You receive five extra dice for all Intimidation rolls.

T-Dev:

Creepy as Hell: Like a warped Center of Attention. I like it, though would that work if someone was watching a security camera image?? or does a virtual line of sight not count? Just asking since either has interesting complications.

Off-TOpic: I am SO wanting to play a freak-legion type character now.

Re: Mega-Ugliness 5 and aliens-

Sorry, Gideon, but aliens aren't really affected by a human's Appearance rating or a nova's Mega-Appearance/Mega-Ugliness rating. Reread the Mega-Attributes section in the Aberrant Core Book- you'll find that it's Mega-Charisma that can affect alien beings at ratings of 5+ dots. Remember: to a race like the Qin, even the appearance of normal humans is likely to be unappealing in the extreme! (Besides, humans would react to a Qin's true appearance in just one way- "They're meter-long tentacled slugs?! Yechh!" ::devilangel )

Re: warped version of "Center of Attention"-

You might want to reread the listing for that enhancement (in the Aberrant Player's Guide) as well, Gideon. As I understand it, it merely lets the nova grab the attention of everyone else around him, and not necessarily in a nice, friendly way either. But keep the ideas coming- sooner or later we'll come up with another gem to use in our little E-book. ::cool

Re: The New Pariahs- Is that new essay all right with you guys, or was I just gilding the lily there? Give me some feedback on it, please- If most of you agree that it sucks, I'll delete it from the finished version of the Mega-Ugliness document. If you all like it, it'll stay where it is. It's fine with me either way. ::smile

BTW, I'm thinking of going ahead and starting work on the Mega-Appearance chapter, folks. The three "new aberrations" sections have already been spruced up just like the Mega-Ugliness aberrations section was. I'll organize what we've already got (as far as the non-aberrations data) into documents, and post it here after I get some of the essays written up. Seeya! ::wink

Re: "Creepy As Hell" enhancement-

Whoops! Please disregard my earlier comment on that enhancement, guys- I inadvertently overlooked T-Dev's post. ::blush

But I do have a bone or two to pick with it, T-Dev. This sounds more like it's derived from a warped use of Mega-Charisma, not Mega-Ugliness. Center of Attention is a Mega-Charisma enhancement, so why not list this one as such? Besides, I seem to recall that Alex Green was pushing for some warped Mega-Charismatic effects a few months ago- maybe you could chat with him and come up with some more ideas in that vein.

My bad ::blush on the Mega-Ugly desc./Center-of Attention/Creepy/M-Char thing, sometimes I cross wires. I'm also a little distracted I am discussing Matrix:Revolutions(Moo) with a friend via IM and another firend via e-mail, and on the forums....(Why can't all of my firends use one forum for discussion... ::smiley4

do we still have the URL wherer everything looks like its in book form? I would look, but im not sure if its been updated recently.

Unfortunatley I am loseing net connection at home soon, so I cant promice anything major for a while (like I have been ::smiley4 ::crazy ).

Hpoefully I can get some stuf fdone though.

As soon as Sprocket says a part is approved my concensus I will add it to the page I created (is that what you were talking about Bahamut?) Otherwise the Brainwaves html is also available in the Downloads section.

I have not integrated my chapter 2 stuff yet, as I have not polished it up nor filled it up "Yet" Once I do that I will send it around for peer review and feed back.

Actually I have been trying to figure out a goo dway to discuss the differeing types of conflicts that would arise between the three types of Mega-Social Novas. I mean I can come up with various instances, but I am trying to find that OH so Clear manner to convey the sense of the thing.... Well I am going to spend some time on it this evening, after I get some pages out for work.

I would think you need to include these two things:

1) The "Umm,Umm" Reflex: When 2 mega-soc novas try to manipulkate the same person. How people sit there and weigh their options "Umm"ing to themselves.

2) One Mega-soc taking advantage of another one directly: When 2 or more novas try to take advantage of one another. Would 2 novas with the same amount of mega-socs be immune to the others mega-socs considereing they like themselves as much (or better) then the other?

In Reply to Bahaumut: 2)

You mean take a look to see if there is a paper-rock-scisser effect? Hmm I hadn't thought of it as such....but...

A mega-Manip would know if someone's Charisma is "making" them like them, but would they care?

the same person would sense that a Mega-App nova was making themselves look good for them, but would it bother them?

I don't think in that case either power would be stopped by the Mega-Manip, but it would allow a Mega-Manip have a choice to use Willpower to resist the effects, if they wanted.

A mega-Appearance nova would have no intrinsic idea that they were being manipulated, since this trait offers no information to the possesor, but the Mega-Manip may not "want" to hurt them since they are so pretty...maybe.

A Mega-App would know they like someone, but would have no clue that they did because of the Mega-Char's power. A Mega-App would deffinitely attract a Mega-Char, and this owuld e a recipie for "true-love" for a little while. The Mega-App looks perfect, the Mega-char acts perfect.

In both cases Mega-Appearance seems to act as a delaying tactic for harm, but only a temporary effect.

A Mega-Charismatic nova again would have no sense of being manipulated, but their very presence would discourage anyone working against them.

A Mega-Char would also know if they liked someone's looks, but they would not know they were being targeted. On the other hand the Mega-App would want to look 'nice' for the Mega-Char.

The Mega-Char would seem to win in any drawn-out interraction, but a fast strike by either Mega-Att would be more successful.

I can see this being a good aspect to look into....

I will take both points 1 and 2 into consideration in the next couple days.

thanks!

{Love all of the stuff about the mega-ugly, it really works}

Mega-ugly question: Say I don't have taint and I have a dot in mega-appearence. Do I have to define it as mega-ugly or mega-beauty?

Normal Mega-App people still have access to the "Face of Terror" enhancement. I know it would be hard, but can someone define themselves as being both beautiful and ugly (bodymorph would help a lot here) and thus buy enhancements from either set?

Re: Alex Green's Mega-Ugliness questions-

Basically, yes. Remember, Mega-Appearance is just that- superhuman looks that are better (or worse, in the case of Mega-Ugliness) than that of any baseline who has ever lived. BTW, I define the positive version of Mega-Appearance as "Mega-Attractiveness"- a term that covers male and female ideals of good looks equally.

[if you want a nova that still looks more-or-less like your average Joe Sixpack down the street, simply don't buy Mega-Appearance at all and restrict his base Appearance attribute to 2 dots.]

As to whether a nova could have enhancements from both Mega-Appearance and Mega-Ugliness... I'd be inclined to say no at first, Alex. But since there's a Mega-Ugliness aberration (Psyche Mirror) that does just that, I can see the basis for a new Mega-Appearance enhancement that would let the nova "switch" from Mega-Attractiveness to Mega-Ugliness and back again at will. That way, the nova could have enhancements from both kinds of mega-Appearance, but he still wouldn't be able to use enhancements contradictory to his current form of Mega-Appearance. It's a good idea, Mr. Green- why don't you take a shot at writing that enhancement up for us? Sadly, my hands are full at the moment... ::wink

Re: My approval on Mega-Social book material-

::crazy Now just wait one cotton-pickin' minute here, Gideon! How the heck did I get elected to be senior editor? (Or have I been railroaded into that position? ::blink ) Last I heard, anyone of us who came up with new material presented for possible use in our little Mega-Social book would post it on this very forum so that it could be critiqued by the other folks helping with this project. As it is, what little spare time I've got right now is devoted to writing the Mega-Appearance essays.

On that note, I have a few suggestions for the Mega-Social book project. Would everyone either working on this project or who has offered serious advice please respond to these? Many thanks.

1: Designated Critics and Proofreaders- We really need a couple of these to take a good, hard look at whatever new material we manage to come up with, folks. If what we come up with doesn't have a consistent level of quality, our Mega-Social book will end up looking like junk. I hereby invite Phoenix and ProfPotts to work here as our Designated Critics and Proofreaders. So how about it, you two? Please let us know if you'd like to do this ASAP, so we can get back to producing new material instead of wasting time bickering over who's the boss here. (Besides, I still need some serious feedback on the Mega-Ugliness essay material I've come up with, especially for "The New Pariahs"!)

2: New EON poll for the Mega-Social Lexicon (Slang Terms and Nicknames)- I've taken a look at what shape the Mega-Social lexicon was in the last time it was posted here. Frankly, aside from the major nicknames for the Social Mega-Attributes, it doesn't seem that we've done that good of a job. So why don't we avail ourselves of the twisted imaginations of all the other fine people who post here at EON? Aside from saving us some skull-sweat and giving us some terminology that we might never have come up with otherwise, this would give the finished Mega-Social book that much more of a "fan-produced" feel. [For ease of reference, here are our major nicknames for the Social Mega-Attributes- Idols for Mega-Appearance, Grifters for Mega-Manipulation, Charmers for Mega-Charisma, and Squids for Mega-Ugliness.]

3: Revised Mega-Social Book Outline- Provided that I'm not the only one who's managed to produce material that's more-or-less finished, we should see about revising the outline so that everyone can see what's been taken care of and what still needs to be worked on. It would also tell us how close (or how far) we are from getting the Mega-Social book ready for submission to EON.

Always happy to hear from you folks, of course.... ::cool

Now Sprocket I was not inferring you were incharge of everything, ::blink I was just of the oppinion that the primary writer for any section has the final say if they are done with their piece. So I was just saying that when you feel you have had enough feed-back and work on the Mega-Uglyness essays and that section in general, you should let me know and I will drop it into the on-line manuscript. (not this online page is the "official" document, its just a handy reference I use for tracking the progress.

Taking Sprocket's suggestion I am going to redo that web-page this weekend and make a progress page (with links to each section so folks can click and check on the progress of each section, or something). Sorry in advance but I will not be able to make it interractive for folks. my free account does not suport java scripting. Or anonymous file writtting.

Re: Who gets stuck with the editorship-

That's fine with me, guys. (Just as long as I don't get stuck with it! ::devilangel ) Besides, our little group here has always seemed to be about as organized as a bathtub full of drunken cats- great for letting our creative faculties run free, but sheer hell for schedules & dividions of duties and the like. ::tongue

Re: the Mega-Ugliness section-

I'm not quite ready to submit it just yet, Gideon. I've gotten kind words on it from you, Bahamut, and Alex Green; but I'd feel a lot more comfortable if Phoenix and/or ProfPotts would kindly look it over. "The New Pariahs" looks and feels right as far as I can tell, but some readers may find it a bit rant-heavy.

Guys, we really do need some designated proofreaders/critics to look over the stuff we submit for the Mega-Social book. I'm up to my ears in reference books and notes for the Mega-Appearance essays- perhaps we could e-mail ProfPotts and/or Phoenix and ask them about it? [Whoops, just noticed Phoenix' post about his computer problems- we'd better just ask ProfPotts, then.]

Finally, I'd like to know what you thought about my idea of an EON poll (or contest) to help us come up with terms for the Mega-Social lexicon. (Nicknames aren't my strong suit, as if you couldn't tell! ::laugh )

Mega-Appearance: Mega-Attractiveness vs. Mega-Ugliness.

Mega-Appearance is just that- superhuman looks that are better (or in the case of Mega-Ugliness, worse) than any baseline. When a nova develops mega-appearance, he must choose whether to define it as mega-attractiveness or mega-ugliness. If a nova has two or more forms he can have one form be Mega-Attractive and another Mega-Ugly. A nova who is using their Mega-Appearance as "Ugliness" can not use Mega-Attractive enhancements and vise versa.

Enhancement: Two Faced

Normally, a nova must choose whether they are mega-attractive or mega-ugly and live forever with that choice. However, a few novas manage to pull off being both Mega-Attractive and Mega-Ugly. This enhancement allows a nova to decide what effect they want without changing their looks. By paying a point of quantum, the nova switches his appearance from Ugly to Attractive (or vise versa). This may very well affect the enhancements to which he has access, although it doesn't grant any additional enhancements. This change lasts a scene, and can be activated multiple times during a scene to switch back and forth. The nova may not choose to be ugly for one person and attractive for another.

I think the poll is an excellent idea. I would like to add though that this will also increase intrest in what we are trying to do. (for good or bad) ::cool

By the by after popular demand here is a progress page (note the page format is intended to show rough estimate of what percent of the project effort each section will need.

i.e. Introduction(15%): 99% means that the introduction will hold 15% of the entire document's content, and is 99% completed. Now that I am thinking about it I may have to change that to a small 5% since it only took me an evening to write up. and a couple days to rewrite... Anyway its a start to get folks talking. and help point out weak zones. Each section has a bookmark link to its further breakdown. And a sample page (if anything has been done) is included.

I hope this helps. And I hope it inspires folks to volunteer for small subsections!

Lets get kracken! ::biggrin

Oops forgot the link: Forceful Personalities Progress Page

Ghah! now its correct!

In reference to the new attribute:

I disagree, I figure the nova must choose how many pointsof their Mega-Appearance goes toward ugly or attractive as tey buy each point.

So if your first point of Mega-Ugly comes after you buy two dots of Mega-Attractive, it costs you as much as your third dot in Mega-Appearance. That way a character that goes both ways in appearance will not blow a pure ugly/attractive away.

Its not like this is supposed to be a common ability anyway. And there can actually be an enhancement or extra for Shapeshift that allows you to chose how this Mega-Attribute manifests for each form you take. So for example, an unenhanced Mega-Ugly nova could never shapechange into a mega-Attractive human/dog/fish/etc. form there would always be something ichy about them. Same goes for a Mega-Attractive nova.

The shapeshift extra could allow the nova to flip it either way for the duration of the shapechange. This would then dovetail nicely with the enhancement that permited a splitting of the Mega-Appearance manifestation.

just a thought

Re: "Two-Faced" Mega-Appearance enhancement-

What you've written up looks good as far as it goes, Alex- now all you have to do is clean it up and dress it nicely. By that I mean getting it into a formal format- here's a generic example for you:

Enhancement (Mega-Attribute)

[Paragraph explaining basic concept of the enhancement, possible setting-related material]

System: [Paragraph devoted to game mechanics of how the enhancement functions- quantum point cost to activate, type of roll used, effect duration, etc.]

If you need a more detailed example, refer to my reworking of the "Plain Spoken" enhancement from my earlier posts on this forum. Trust me- it'll get easier once you've done it ten times or so... ::biggrin

BTW, I don't agree with Bahamut's suggestion on having to buy Mega-Ugliness and the standard Mega-Appearance separately. If normally Mega-Attractive novas can use "Face of Terror" without having to do so, why should a nova with "Two-Faced" have to? ::wink

Re: Mega-Social book document on Gideon's site-

I just hope that you haven't put the aberrations listings for the three main Social Mega-Attributes yet, Gideon. I've only just now spruced them up and written up the head paragraphs. If you'd like, I could post them here as finished versions for you to add to your document once I have a few spare minutes.

Re: the EON Mega-Social lexicon poll-

::rolleyes Yeah, it would attract attention, Gideon- but we could really use some fresh ideas for slang/nicknames/terminology! It wouldn't be that much of a hassle for someone to set up, would it?

One last thing- I've gone ahead and e-mailed ProfPotts to ask him to proofread/critique the Mega-Ugliness section. One I hear back from him, I'll declare that the Mega-Ugliness section is finished once any problems have been corrected.

Re: Mega-Ugliness as a separate Mega-Attribute from Mega-Appearance-

This does not sound good to me at all, Gideon. Why should we make the Mega-Attribute game mechanics any more complex than they have to be?

Besides, there's one more limiting factor on the "Two-Faced" enhancment that you may have overlooked- there's not going to be many people who will want to buy it in the first place! Mega-Ugly novas are rare (up until around the start of the Aberrant War) for a reason, you know! ::devil

Re: Mega-Social book document on Gideon's site-

No worries SProcket, I have not put any one elses work up yet, since no one has said their work is a finished product. I put mine there for my own reference. That way I can download a version from anywhere and work on it. (I travel a bit, and don't have a laptop) I also included my stuff as an example of what I would like to see while we work, that way everyone could have a reference for the feel as the document progresses.

RE: Two-faced enahncement-

Sprocket, very good point. my only concern would be the need to mention in the enhancement itself a few enhancements that would still be mutually exclusive (of course lets keep in mind that if this enhancement costs quantum, then you will be looking at double quantum expenditures to use both types of enhancements)

Re: EON poll-

exactly, I'm not against the idea, I just thought I would point it out. I'm sometimes a little too cautious about public calls for oppinion, I've been burned by more than a few trolls. Though this is one of the nicest forums I've ever participated in, so I am most likely just being paranoid.

About development space-

Has anyone asked Archer about getting a forum to side-line this stuff? Or is it too soon to ask for such a thing. I know Wish is working like crazy still to get everything else back up.

On the on-line update issue-

As soon as anyone feels they are sufficiently done with any section, whether they need it for peer review or general submition, drop a line here, and I can place it on-line on my site, but also realize that I will NOT put anything up without a direct request along the lines of "Gideon, please put all of the following in Chapter Three, Conflict section", or some such. I have no intention of railroading/embaressing anyone. I'm actually just very excited by what has been done.

One last thing- I've gone ahead and e-mailed ProfPotts to ask him to proofread/critique the Mega-Ugliness section. One I hear back from him, I'll declare that the Mega-Ugliness section is finished once any problems have been corrected.

Sorry, my listed e-mail address is well & truely dead, so I won't ever receive that.

Thanks for thinking of me on this, but I'm not sure I have the time. I'll have a look over this stuff if I get a chance, but I'd not want you guys held back because I can't get around to giving this project the attention it deserves. I don't get enough sleep as it is... ::sleeping

Re- "Two-Faced" enhancement- If you'll check the latest version of the Mega-Ugliness material, Gideon, you'll find the answer to that question under the "Banned Enhancements" listing. Some of the standard Mega-Appearance enhancements cannot be used by Mega-Ugly novas, and the new Mega-Ugliness enhancements cannot be used by Mega-Attractive novas. All that "Two-Faced" does is let the nova switch between the "Mega-Attractive" and "Mega-Ugliness" sets. Note that the nova still has to purchase all those other enhancements- he can't get Anathema for free just because he has Awe-Inspiring! ::devilangel

Re: ProfPotts' RSVP-

Not a problem, friend. I know very well what it's like to be squeezed for time myself. Feel free to point out anything that you like or dislike in the material we come up with, though- your counsel is very much appreciated! ::biggrin

Re: EON Mega-Social Lexicon poll-

Okay then, Gideon. Instead of the poll, let's try to come up with some new slang terms/nicknames for the Lexicon! ::devil Fair warning, though- aside from the four major nicknames, most of the others I've seen proposed on this forum have been pretty freakin' lame. ::rolleyes

Well a couple ideas I have for slang:

Queen-Bee - a (frequently female) nova that makes a habit of gathering many baselines around her to do her bidding, or just to do the cooking.

Moth - derogatory piteous term for those drawn to a mega-social nova, like a moth to the flame of their beauty/charm...

Drone - another derogatory term, often used in conjuntion with Queen-Bee, to describe the apparent mindlessness of those who flock to "hang-out" with their queen.

Thats just off the top of my head.

RE: Two-faced enahancement, yes I know there is a listing of the banned enhancements, I just meant it might be a nice reference to mention a couple examples, or to specificly state that such a listing exists on page XXX, and as you just stated, one enhancement does not suddenly become its flipside, that would be a good point to make very clear.

Until these enhancements are placed in a proper document, it will be very difficult to ensure their referential integrety between revisions. I mean I've read the essays for Mega-Ugly, but each enhancement makes its own rules to a certain extent. I also try to see each enhacnement on its own terms, meaning that I don't assume its intention, I try to read what it literally implies and try to find ambiguity. I run a game with a couple rule-lawyers, they behave (mostly) but it forces me to look at any modification with care.

RE: Polling - I am actually all for getting it posted (don't know how to do it), I was just being my normal nervous self.

Archived