Aberrant RPG - Mega-Attribute Books

Sprocket

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Update requests-

What can I say, we've been busy. RL interference & all that. ::smile

AFA the e-book situation: You might have heard that what was originally going to be a component of the Mega-Physical e-book had been split off into its own e-book. The new book is called Aberrant: A Breed Apart and focuses on the various issues related to nova reproduction. Such issues include the Utopian/Proteus nova sterilization conspiracy, breeder novas, motherhunters and the much-debated second generation (or 2ndGen) novas. And that's just the highlights. ::devil

Well, the Development Team is getting fairly close to having finished AB:ABA, with 95% of the rules-oriented material and 80% of the setting material already having been written, peer reviewed & edited. We've also changed our minds on our release schedule; as we now plan to release AB:ABA by itself once we've finished with it. We aren't setting an exact release date for it due to the very high possibility of further RL interference. ::wink

After that, it's back to work on Aberrant: The New Flesh. ::smile

• 1 month later...

Well, as I've said before, work on our Mega-Physical fanbook has been stalled ever since the nova reproduction material grew too big for its original niche. I'm happy to say that as the Development Team is getting very close to finishing the writing work on Aberrant: A Breed Apart (we've been having quite a bit of RL interference of late, but it seems to have abated), our attention will return to Aberrant: The New Flesh shortly afterwards.

Not even going to try & guess an ETA for AB:ABA, folks. The writing may be 95-98% finished, but then our very talented JessiLaurn has to plug in those last few pieces into the relevant PDF documents, which are then assembled into the finished e-book. Then the Development Team will go over the near-final version with the proverbial fine-toothed comb in a last-ditch attempt to spot any errors and/or glitches we might have missed. When you add in the factors of RL intereference & the chaos of the upcoming holiday season (most of us on the Development Team are Yanks, myself included), making ETA predictions seem pretty futile. ::wink

• 2 months later...

Re: Aberrant: A Breed Apart

On behalf of the Development Team, I am happy to announce that EON's Aberrant fanbook on nova reproduction has just been given its final editing. It will be available for download here at EON just as soon as a download page is set up for it. ::ultracool

We hope you all enjoy the book (you can't really call something 74 pages long a "minibook" or "booklet"), but don't expect much response to your queries about it. Some of us are dead tired after getting this thing done. :tombstone:

BTW, the more energetic among us restarted work on Aberrant: The New Flesh back in early January, so that project is back on track now. ::smile

Addendum: Due to a last-minute glitch, Ian Watson was accidentally left out of his deserved spot in the "Special Thanks" listing on the AB:ABA Credits Page. ::blush His aid in determining the nature of the second generation novas was invaluable, and we offer Ian and his "Continuing the Continuum" Crew our sincere apologies.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think you'd best talk to our esteemed head Honcho Jackson Creed about that. If you've any skill in setting up web pages & the like, he'd probably appreciate it. I have no such skills myself. ::shrug

The link to ABA appears on a thread at NPrime discussing it, posted by Timeslip on 2/1/07. I simply haven't seen an official link in the download section. The e-book looks just fine. It was a heavily-talked about subject for a while (Sophie Rousseau as Plot Device ...., and what nova children mean to you!). ::biggrin I'm looking forward to A New Flesh just as eagerly, if only for completeness' sake. ::ultracool

::confused Surely you aren't saying that you haven't already downloaded AB:ABA yet, are you?

As to having an official download page here at EON, I'm looking forward to it too. Fortunately, my work on The New Flesh helps distract me from the waiting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Re: Progress report-

We're still busy with AB:TNF, and most of Chapter 4 (Physical Mega-Attributes & Miscellanea) is finished. Also, the Development Team is pleased to announce that we've accepted EON member Nyxx into our project. His work is expected to help out a great deal in Chapter 1 (Nova Age biotechnology) and possibly Chapter 2 (Combat) as well.

• 1 month later...

Re: Progress report-

(Looks up out of salt mine) ::blink Hmm, what? Oh, that. ::laugh

As of 08/21/2007, both the Introduction and Chapter 4 (Physical Mega-Attributes) have been finished. Two subsections of Chapter 2 (Combat) have also been finished, and they deal with Body Modifications, Mega-Mental & Mega-Social enhancements that are overtly combat-oriented.

Also finished are the two Appendices; Appendix #1 is a grab bag of miscellaneous (but still relevant) stuff - New Merits, Flaws, Backgrounds & Abilities - while Appendix #2 details the 6+ dot ratings of the Mental & Social Mega-Attributes. Note: Listings for the 6+ ratings of the Physical Mega-Attributes will be found in Chapter 4.

Right now I'm working on Chapter 3 (Storytelling), Reighnhell & Nyxx are cooking up material for Chapter 1 (Nova Age biotechnology), and Cottus Centimane & Reighnhell (along with archer21, one we get back to the material on guns) are working on Chapter 2.

• 4 weeks later...

Sprocket I owe you and the other contributors to A Breed Apart a metric tonnage of KUDOS.

Aside from having the good taste of using a character from Robot Carnival as your avatar you and yours have made an awesome contribution to the Abberent lore that feels natural to the setting.

You pave the way to the disparities between the Nova's of New Eden and the shambling Abberents of Trinity in such an elegant way that finally the de-evolution into chotonic horrors seems supported by entertaining pseudoscience AND game mechanics.

Gideon and yourself did a bang up job of writing it in a way that left many options to the players while letting the metaplot roll on merrily. The contributors must have been the ligament to the muscle and bone of the innovative speculation and they too have my thanks.

The included characters have stats for play and disturbing motivations but are fleshed out just enough that they're ready to plug and play for my group's story fodder. The "Love Hina" parallels/ tribute for the Nakato Gumi are truly for the win and would make for quite the mind boggling one shot game.

JessiLaurn did an incredibly tight job of typesetting to the point which the quality is both indistinguishable from and sometimes better than the previous White Wolf produced material.

My only niggling nitpick which was to be the fires of a thousand flame threads was "How Could You Possibly Forget That Mostess Fruit Pies Are An Essential Part Of A Developing DEMI-GOD'S DIET!! If there aren't any 'fruit pies = criminality connections' in this next E-book it's overturned, petulant ,chair thrown, riot/boycott time!!!" ::angry ::wink

Eagerly awaiting Abberent; The New Flesh and thankful that you don't have monetary deadlines in relation to whatever combative fruits your imagination may hold.

::laugh Your congratulations are appreciated, Sophisto! Thanks. ::biggrin

As for the "criminal connections = hostess fruit pie" joke? Having read many comics that had those cheesy little ads stuck in them, I agree that the shout-out to them in Aberrant: Underworld was funny. Problem is, most jokes are only funny for the first few times you hear them, then they get old.

Case in point: anyone remember a performance/stand-up comedian by the name of Gallagher? (Listens closely, hears only crickets chirping in the distance.) Didn't think so. ::laugh ::tongue

If there's a different 70's comics joke to be made, it *might* be included in the single character writeup we're planning to do for the Mega-Physical ebook. Suggestions for the joke, anyone?

• 1 month later...

Re: AB:TNF progress report-

Things have been going a bit slower than usual due to RL interference, but that seems to have (hopefully) ceased for now. Reighnhell is busily writing up new maneuvers and listings for martial arts styles for Chapter 2 (Combat). I'm currently working on the second section of Chapter 3 (Storytelling), with the first section finished. Alex Green is writing up a section focusing on public defenders in the tail end of Chapter 3.

Re: blushing bunny's request-

Well, we've (hopefully) still got JessiLaurn as proofreader/typesetter/PDF assembly wizard. Cottus Centimane is our resident first-rate artist. I'm listed as the main editor & am also a major contributor along with Alex Green, Reighnhell, Cottus and Nyxx. Back when this project first started, Gideon contributed some very good material that we will be using in Chapter 3. Archer21 had expressed interest on doing expanded listings for firearms for Chapter 2, & we've had minor contributions from a pretty big mob of EON members. Still, there is room for another cook here, provided you make the cut - I've no clue as to your skills, so I'll leave the judging to others.

I suggest you PM Alex Green and maybe Reighnhell about joining the Development Team. They're much better at telling first-rate work from the rest of the stuff out there than I am. ::tongue Have samples of your material in the PM, & explain what unfinished part(s) of the book you'd like to work on.

Re: What's finished, & what remains to be done-

Consider this to be the "in depth" progress report for the benefit of blushing bunny (and whoever else is interested), plus a rough sketch of what folks can expect to find in this ebook.

Introduction - finished

Chapter 1: Nova Age Biotechnology - Only a few pieces of material have been produced so far, mostly by Reighnhell & Nyxx. All sections are pretty much wide open for new material.

>Introduction

>Biotech producers, customers & enemies

>Medical advances.

>New bioweapons

>New drugs

>Genetic engineering

>Cyberware

>Uplifted animals

>Misc. products

Chapter 2: Combat - Reighnhell & Cottus have been working hard on the second, third & fourth sections. My contributions to this chapter were in the sixth & seventh sections.

>Introduction

>Expanded basic combat rules

>Styles for Martial Arts, Melee etc.

>Special maneuvers

>Expanded weapons listings

>New Mega-Mental & Mega-Social enhancements for combat <Finished!>

>New Body Modifications for combat <Finished!>

Chapter 3: Storytelling - Mostly my responsibility, as quite a bit of the work is just taking house rules & such that Reighnhell has contributed & polishing them up.

>Introduction, Themes, Conflicts & Factions <Finished!>

>Nova Basics & Mega-Physical Capabilities (I'm currently working on this.)

>Optional Rules

>Public Defenders (Alex Green is working on this.)

Chapter 4: Mega-Physical Attributes <Finished!>

Appendix #1: New Miscellanea <Finished!>

Appendix #2: Mega-Mental & Mega-Social ratings at 6+ <Finished!>

Oh wow, I had no idea you guys were planning on expanding on Mega-Social-Mentals too! I can't wait to see how this turns out Sproket. I was very impressed with your work on the Aberrant Compendium, and I'm sure the other contributers are doing a dynamite job on this new project.

I would be interested in contributing what I can to the project if it would help out. It would aide me to know a bit about the "flavor" you're looking for in new material though. Who would I talk to to get some guidelines for what you're looking for in this respect?

Re: Expanded Mega-Mental & Mega-Social listings-

It's not as big as you think, it's just the 6+ dot ratings and the associated benefits. There are no new enhancements in that Appendix or anything.

Re: Contributing to the project-

I suggest you PM Alex Green & Reighnhell with your request to join. As to the flavor of the material, take a closer look at my previous post. Chapters 1 & 2 is where the biggest holes to be filled are.

Only for Mega-Strength & Mega-Stamina (Aberrant Players Guide pp. 101-103), & even that was a bit sketchy. The 6+ dot ratings of Mega-Dexterity, the Mega-Mentals & the Mega-Socials were never addressed at all. This is a problem, especially with Divis Mal stated as having Mega-Intelligence 8.

Since AB:TNF is going to be the final Mega-Attribute book, we felt that this would be a good place & time (if not the last place & time) to tackle that problem. And tackle it we did. The debates involved in the peer review & editing were a lot of work, but we think that the finished product - and make no mistake, it is finished - is worth it. ::happy

What we hammered out involves a little bit more than just additional mega-dice. We found a happy medium between the exteme minimum you mentioned and overpowering them. ::wink

BTW, the 6+ ratings for the Mega-Physicals are included in the relevant sections of Chapter 4, so everything got covered. ::smile

• 2 months later...

Work is continuing on Chapter 2 (Combat) & 3 (Storytelling), despite serious bouts of RL interference.

Reighnhell is working on the final batch of martial arts styles (plus new maneuvers and funky "special techniques") we'll be putting into Chapter 2.

I'm currently working on the subsection of Chapter 3 that deals with the capabilities of Mega-Dexterity. After that I'll tackle Mega-Stamina, and blushing_bunny has started a "Stunt List" thread for the Mega-Mentals & Mega-Socials.

• 5 months later...

The section of Chapter 3 dealing with Mega-Physical feats has been finished, leaving only the final section dealing with public defenders to be completed.

Reighnhell has been suffering from serious RL interference, so Chapter 2 has stalled for the moment.

A third appendix for Chapter 4 containing "feat mini-charts" for the Mental & Social Mega-Attributes is planned. blushing_bunny's ideas, as well as those of the contributors for the 3 Physical Mega-Attribute feat charts will be welcome for consideration & review.

EDIT (06/25): JessiLaurn is back on the project after a hiatus due to RL interference. Also, if all goes well Chapter 3 could be finished in a few weeks (guesstimation) barring further RL interference.

• 1 month later...

Re: Update on Chapter 3-

Of the last 2 sections of Chapter 3 left to be done, the first (Gideon's Unified Speed Rules) has passed review & been sent to JessiLaurn for PDF conversion. The second (Alex Green's material on public defenders) is nearing completion and will hopefully pass peer review soon.

Re: Chapter 3-

Alex Green's material on public defenders has been completed & has passed peer review.

All work on Chapter 3 (other than fixing any uncaught minor glitches) is now finished.

I'm now gathering reference data in order to begin working on Chapter 1 (Nova Age biotech).

Archived