AAARGH!!! The Glue Broke!

Ayre el KaBeer

The Glue Broke!!!! ::dontgetit

Flipping through my Trinity core book (soft cover), on the page where the picture of the Cicada being repaired, the binding glue split! ::smiley4

The spine of the book seems fine at first sight, but the glue had lost most its grip to the cover and now the book is being held together by around 10 centimeters (roughly 4 inches) of glue... Does anyone here know how I can fix it ie. what kind of glue i should try? I don't want to buy the book again but I might have to despite the rediculous price of the Game shop I go to, so If I can fix it it'd be great.

I wouldn't use a traditional glue like Elmer's or the like. Head to a craft store and see if you can find a glue that's paper friendly, or barring that try a Wal-Mart. Fixing the bindings tends to be tricky, so I'd reccomend getting two heavier books (phone books or encyclopedias) and after setting the glue place the Trinity book beneath one and atop the other and letting it sit for while until the glue dries. I've done similar jobs in the past, most recently for my copy of Werewolf Revised when the binding was loose.

-Def.

Damn that Werewolf fall appart on you too? My mate bought it and 3 weeks later it decided it didn't want to stay intact.

Anyway thanks Defender I didn't think to look in a crafts store, since i couldn't find any glue that looked like it was going to work so I was considering using some sillicon sealant despite the stupididty behind it. Now to find a crafts store in my area... where's that cursed Yellow pages?

Damn that Werewolf fall appart on you too? My mate bought it and 3 weeks later it decided it didn't want to stay intact.

Your book must have been tainted by the Wyrm. I'd throw it out, or get a Theurge to purify it or something.

::wink

heh, i bought the teragen book several years back, the second i stepped out of the store, three pages fell out and most of the glue cracked. it had been fine up until i bought it (so what if i'd read it for almost an hour before i remembered i was in a store ::halo )

in general though, whitewolf's bindings are crap and tend to fall apart very quickly.

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe they want the books to fall apart! Sort of like the motor industry, so you have to buy more books

Would fit with some of the bad press WW had in the past, eh? ::wink

But more likely it's because the books were stored at very low temperature sometimes before they hit the shelves.

Cold kills most binding glue.

Sending the book by air-mail is usually enough--the non-pressurized cargo hold gets below zero really fast.

As for fixing the broken glue, you need arabic-rubber glue--bookbinder stuff, whatever the name in your language. The glue must not get rigid after drying, or it will crack more.

Once you have the rubber, the best way to go is actually break the book completely open, and go for a whole repair, applying the glue with a brush while the pages are under a moderate weight.

Dripping some glue where the pages are coming away is not likely to achieve any good result.

As an alternative, you might try and check out the yellow pages for a good craftsman and shell some dough to have the books repaired by a pro.

I've found it's normally worth the money, especially witholder, most cherished tomes.

Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...
My book was cursed by the Urge Wyrm of Lousy Binding.

I hear ya there! Two months after I bought the RPG Bible (aberrant) it fell apart. ::smiley4

I lost all of the background stuff and tried to glue the rest and it Farged up on me.

Now I have 2inch thick sticky tape holding everything together. ::angry

I wrote White Wolf before I did anything asking if they could replace it, but they told me no. that they have nothing to do with that.

History of W.W. books that fell apart:

W.W. Wild West

W.W. Playersguide (1st edish)

Vampire & Vampire PG 2nd edish.

Aberrant. As you might think, I am not a happy camper when it comes with W.W. products.

One would think that I treat my books like shi...crap. But the amount I pay here in Canada, I would rather fall of the table myself then treat my books badly.

Sob...Whine...BAWWWWWLLLL

I've never seen a Teragen book that didn't break, either. Still worth having, though.

Opps I thought I missed one. Yup that one too is in plastic sleeves.

Reality.sys corrupted, reboot Universe [Y/N/Q]? <--I love that tag line!!!

he was three feet from the door when about 20 pages fell out.

::laugh ROFL

Boy, do I know that... I have plenty of books do that to me before. Why does this happen? I mean, I have books that date back before WW1 (Not sure how old it is yet. Doesn't have a publishing date y'see.) with pages as thin as gold leaf (I ain't kidding... I have to be extra careful when turning the pages), and it's still in one peace... what's happened to book binding? It used to be an artform, now they use prittstick and bluetack...

dried up washing detergent? hmmm... y'know that might just work... but I believe they are using some subtance that dissolves after two days (to allow people to bu them first) in a conspiracy to get the book repairers more business...

But before I fall into paranoid conspiracy talk, I need to feed my goldfish....

...TO THE CAT FOR BLABBING TO THE GOVERNMENT!

Ahem... yes. But honestly, I think books have been printed on those cheap refill pads that you can tear leafs off easily... Whatever happened? books used to be strong and handworthy, but now they barely stay apart in the shopping bag on the way home! I think my aberrant players guide is falling apart....

::smiley5 Don't forget the Teragen book, now in a lovely binder full of plastic sleeves, Quasar.

I'm not sure why WW books fall apart so easily. After all, I've got an assortment of books from different companies, Ars MAgica (2nd) from wizards of the Coast, PAlladium Heroes, villians and Aliens books, as well as Nightspawn(the REAL title dammit! NOT Nightbane!) and none of them have fallen apart. Except for a crease or two on the corners, they are all perfectly fine.

Sigh.

Aberrant Forever! (and with some enhancements, it's possible)

::thumbsup

Archived