Adventure! RPG - A! Horrific elements

Hello all! I'm new to these forums and this site as a whole. I have just recently gotten back into the Aeon/A! scene and would like to post here for suggestions. This is something I cross posted on The WW Trnity forums.

O.k. I'm sure this topic has been beat to death(and

according to the A! corebook; irrelevant)but, what role if

any does horror play in your A! chronicle.

I mean, I know we're not talking CoC or any other horror

game, but I feel that elements of horror have their place

in A!. Too much would be overkill and essentially ruin the

overall theme of A! but just enough is alright with me.

I like the idea of crazed, homicidal intelligent gorilla's

running around detaching limbs and tentacled entities

reaching out of fissures and caves mangling unsuspecting

players. Wacked out low-tech robots going haywire and

murdering their creators only to learn the secrets of

creating copies of themselves. Stuff like that.

So, my query is this: How does everyone else feel about the

role of horror in their A! game?

Best,

PE

Hey, Welcome to the boards! ::smiley5

I think all you've described is more than appropriate (even normal) for any self respecting A! game. The difference between A! and CoC would be more in style than substance...In A! it'd be: What! Giant Gorillas have invaded the city sewers and are ripping peoples arms off?! Come lads! Prepare the deprimatizer and we'll take care of this little mishap.."

Whereas CoC would be:

"Oh...God...Giant Gorillas ripping peoples arms off! No...no...don't touch me...no! (sniffles) AUUGHH (insert gory sounds)!"

That's my take on it anyway...

I haven't done overwhelming cosmic horror yet, but my current story has the PCs stranded on a deserted tropical island inhabited by intelligent apes descended from the orangutan in Edgar Allan Poe's "Murders in the Rue Morgue" that worship Kong and a tribe that's pretty obviously an offshoot of Lovecraft's Tcho-Tcho tribes. The PCs had allied with the tribesmen against the "demons," but that relationship started to cool when they figured out that the menu included other natives. Now they've allied with the apes, but the apes aren't turning out to be very friendly. Things haven't gotten truly horrific, but they might. Our previous story included a Chinese necromancer with copies of the Seven Cryptical Books of Hsan and an army of ghosts and hopping vampires.

So far, insurmountable horror hasn't been consistent with the genre. Our use of horror has been more along the lines of the 1930s Universal movies and pulp adventure in which the heroes can win rather than the more Lovecraftian "Hey, I may have ended up insane, but at least I didn't have my brain stuffed in a canister and taken into space" type. I use horror elements, but not a horror theme.

Find a comic done in a pulp horror style for an idea of how

that sort of thing can be used in Adventure! or a more

Adventure! oriented Aberrant game.

I recommend Hellboy - Both the comics and the prose books.

(Hellboy and the Lost Army immediately comes to mind as a

good story that could easily be adapted to an Adventure!

game.) But there are others out there.

Movies done in a pulp horror style work well too. See the

first Brendan Fraser Mummy flick for a spiffy example.

Just some ideas. Cheers.

my current story has the PCs stranded on a deserted tropical island inhabited by intelligent apes descended from the orangutan in Edgar Allan Poe's \"Murders in the Rue Morgue\" that worship Kong and a tribe that's pretty obviously an offshoot of Lovecraft's Tcho-Tcho tribes.

::biggrin Oh cool. Actually descended from that ape or just along the same lines?

That story was the coolest. In fact, the thinker provided a lot of the inspiration for Sherlock Holmes. Sherlock Holmes is the man. ::closedeyes

Personally, I rather don't like the whole idea of CoC, just because it means you can do, well, nothing, in the greater scheme of things. Sucks to just go hide and go nuts, after all.

But I wouldn't be opposed to using 'horrific' elements in an 'Adventure' Game- however, most of that wold be nasty monster kind of stuff, that, while tough, -CAN- be beaten, through the proper use of guns and the like. :)

But then again, that's just me.

Using Coc material only puts the characters in a position where they can watch and hope that the big baddies can be stopped by destroying the little baddies that want to bring about the end of the world.

For me, the best horror elements to use are the classic monsters from the old Universal 30's and 40's movies. Imagine a mastermind that found the Frankenstein Monster and is now using it as a template to make an army of these creatures. Or to discover that the feind behind the plan to blackmail wealthy industrelists is actually Dracula.

If your group is adventuring around the beginning of WWII, have them discover that the nazis have captured Larry Talbot and intend to use him as a source for making an elite unit of werewolves.

Or, the unrest happening in Egypt is being caused by Imhotep, who wants to restore Egypt to its former glory by driving out the forgien influences.

welcome PalmerEldritch, hope you like the boards, and thanks for kicking off this discussion! ::biggrin i'll have to reply more in depth tomorrow, when it isn't so late. but suffice it to say for the moment that i love elements of horror in games and my players still cringe every once in a while when past games are mentioned. ::biggrin ::biggrin ::biggrin

Btw, am I the only one who thinks that the old Batman tv show makes great A! material? The old Batman & Robin movie can easily be incorporated in A! (Dehydrated UN officials and all...  )

"Pass the shark-repelent Bat-Spray Robin!"

Gadgets. Classic.

The investigation work is top notch as well,

"Mr P.N. Guin?... P.N. Guin?...", [gasp of realisation], "The Penguin!"

Menagerie?

"If it hadn't been for that heroic porpoise throwing itself in the way of the torpedo at the last moment..."

Yep, I'd say it's Adventure! material. ::biggrin

As for Call of Cthulhu, some of the suppliments are excellent A! material just as sourcebooks for the 1920s. I'd agree that the horror elements change somewhat if converted though - in CoC the most successful character is defined as the one that declines at the slowest pace ::crazy ! You're lucky to survive a fight with cultists, let alone any Mythos creatures. Remember the "Call of Cthulhu is the only RPG where..." comic strip? Mythos (& horror generally) elements can work well in A!, just don't expect them to cause the same reactions in the PCs - you meet a Great Old One, all drooling, tentacled, oozing, etc., etc., horror, & instead of being driven insane with terror the English Gentleman at the front of the group (with the Perfect Poise Knack) just tuts at the thing & says,

"I say, old chap, you're dripping all over my best suit." ::sly

There is cetainlt a lot of room in Adventure for horror. I am planning to run an oriental game ( with lots of appearence by a certain Dragon).

I plan to play up a lot of Chinese horror stuff, especially the treachery stuff you see in the old pulp movies.

I also the classic horroh monsters have a big place in Adventure. Although the way I am finding the campaign design coming out, my game will have a lot less humor then most.

As to the CoC issue, the problem is that most people miss the point of Lovecraft-style horror. It is not to fight the mythos monsters, the characters are suppose to fight the cultists trying to summoning the mythos monster. I played a 2 year CoC game. In it when actually saw & had contact with mythos monster monsters 3 times.

ok, i actually have time to reply... basic run down of my story was that the characters were using an ancient barely understood and broken portal to travel between worlds and times. que the st. an accident occured that threw them into the still point (note: not the ISRA tank, but my own perception of where every point in the universe meets) they more or less had to dungeon crawl through a totally alien world where physics need not apply, where thougts became real, nightmares took bodies, relics from every place and time abounded.

- - - - -

ST: The container says anti-matter containment on the side. There's a clock counting down, there's about one minute until it reaches zero.

Player 1 (1920's): Anti-matter. Anti... Matter... Anti, anti, hrm, doesn't. Doesn't matter. *shrugs* Whatever. *toss*

Player 2 (2320's): Oh GOD! Get that out of here!

ST: ::devil

- - - - - -

Problem was, this world was fluid, each character percieved it completely differently. None of them could relate to what the others saw and felt. The few encounters they had with "natives" left them shaken enough to open fire on each other blindly after a brief seperation.

And then, after the body switching, fire fights (literally), disembodiments, mind twisting, gut wrenching tour, they met god, or at least that's who they thought it was ::halo i still haven't told them who or what they met (possible sequel in the making), but they're all torn between returning to and making sure not to get near that place again.

There is cetainlt a lot of room in Adventure for horror. I am planning to run an oriental game (with lots of appearence by a certain Dragon).

I plan to play up a lot of Chinese horror stuff, especially the treachery stuff you see in the old pulp movies.

Hmm.. Tell me more!

Also, may I make a suggestion? Rather than depending on mythological creatures, why not a disciplined (but misguided enough to want to kill your characters, of course) samurai? Personally, I would be more concerned if I were being tracked by a Zen swordsman than by a dragon. Besides which, a samurai has the additional advantage of being physically possible, whereas a real lizard of that size with whatever magical powers the Chinese ones are supposed to have (I'm tired; my knowledge of mythology fails me) give the story a less realistic air. Again, just my opinion... but then I thought for a long while that the heroes of Adventure! were supposed to be within human parameters - as in, say, Inspired:Nova:Psion::Sherlock Holmes:Superman:Wolverine.

Anyway.

And then, after the body switching, fire fights (literally), disembodiments, mind twisting, gut wrenching tour, they met god, or at least that's who they thought it was ::halo i still haven't told them who or what they met.

Anyone else kinda glad they don't play in her game? ::tongue