More Small Talk

phoenix

If you could shake the hand of any person you chose, who would it be?

1. Among the living

2. In history

My answers:

1. Ricky Jay, the world's greatest magician. He can drive a playing card into the flesh of a watermelon from 10 paces. His book, Cards As Weapons, is now, regrettably, out of print.

2. I'm a Southerner. It has to be Stonewall Jackson. (I would refer to him as Blue Light, but that would be running the risk of being asked if that wasn't a brand of beer and having to beat someone to death with a shovel).

I've just been posting random questions in the hopes that one will evolve into an interesting thread. Either that or something will happen on EON.. *cough cough India Underground cough cough*

hrm... in history, it would have to be Queen Elizabeth the First... sorta a personal hero and well, i reenact the reanaissance era under her rule as a peasant every summer, i've been to her grave and one of her palaces, etc.

and on to the living... uh.... that's quite a bit harder... not sure really, so i'll default to bruce baugh for doing so much for the aeon line.

• 2 months later...

In history: Rabbe Juda Löw. He´s been in Prag in the Middle Age, And he was the one who created the Stone Golem for the jewish Ghetto. I ´d like to talk to such a brilliant man, that can make people truly believe in Myths of all kind.

I´m really sincere on this one.

Among the living: I don´t know for sure.Perhaps David Copperfield? Or someone along that line. But this Ricky Jay fellow sounds interesting in his own right. ::bigsmile ::devil

(anybody got a deck of cards for me ? ::devil ) ::bigsmile

Living: Probably Lawrence Lessig though I'd prefer to attend one of his classes...(He's a technology lawyer, wrote "The Future of Ideas" and was the terror of Microsoft during the Monopoly trial. Microsoft eventually managed to have him off the case but that sure didn't hurt his reputation..:P)

http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/future/

Dead: Mmmm, Sun Tzu...I'd better learn some mandarin first though.

• 5 months later...

I win!!

I squeezed myself in an IT Venture Capitalist conference today where Lessig talked to the VCs about the downfall of innovation due to overregulation. Told the VC's that if they want a real boom they should lobby against the Big copyright Holders (RIAA, etc.) to bring back copyright to its supposed state: An incentive to innovation, not an innovation crusher and publisher bank account protector.

Course he said it way better as only he can... ::smile

Shook his hand, talked, should be working together in the near future...

Also saw today Ethan Zuckerman (founder of Geekcorps.org) and Michael Geist (probably Canada's most renowned Tech lawyer and editor of Globe & Mail's IT section. He was there to introduce Lessig since he's a Lessig worshiper as well..)

That and a roomful of opportunity, made me want to be an entrepreneur. 'bout 30-40 VC's each managing multi-million to multi-billion dollar funds. Quite a few IT startups and veterans hovering about and presenting their schticks. Learned quite a bit today.

Now shaking Sun Tzu's hand might be a little hard...

Historical person, aye??

1. Its hard enough to choose from the dead, why the living too? Ohh well, probably Stepen Hawking or Sean Connery (Itl probably be Sean cos its a little hard to get a respons from mr Hawking, no pun intended, just a sad fact)

2. Hhmmmm, I would eather go for Nicolaj Tesla (the worlds coolest, hopefully only, mad inventor) or Leonardo da Vinci.

Hmm - for some reason, dead is always easier on this sort of question, though much more gross ::laugh

Dead: Ben Franklin. Perhaps not as smart as Thomas Jefferson, but ol' Ben was by far the coolest of all the Founding Fathers. Printer, author, ambassador, scientist, inventor, humorist and ladies' man. Started both the first public library and fire department in America and tons more cool stuff. I also believe he invented a bookstand so he could read in the bathtub, but that could have been one of Tom's.

Living: Well, I hope to go into the entertainment biz some day, so I'll go the slightly shallow route ::blush I've already met Joss Whedon very briefly at a comic convention, but we didn't shake hands (I don't think). So I guess I'd say J.J. Abrams, creator of Alias, my current favorite show that I just love to pieces.

• 11 months later...

Dead: It would have to be Charles Darwin, the Daddy of evolution (even if it was cos he published first ::biggrin ). I'd love to go down the pub with him and buy that man a pint.

Alive: Being the uber-geek that I am it'd have to be Grant Morrison. Chaos magician and writer of some extremely thought-provoking comic book fiction.

Fictional: Cthulhu ::wink

Living: James Earl Carter -- the last honest President of the United States, and a man that has done far more good in the years after his presidency than most presidents do during their terms of office.

Dead: Gen. George Patton -- probably the finest commander of anything larger than a company in the past century.

I think Ill update mine as it seems I was confused as to the question...

Dead person I wanna meet is Mahatma (sp) Ghandi. He rocked. Oh yeah. Good stiff.

Live person I wanna meet is Bruce Campbell. He has to be one of the greatest actors of all time. He is one of the few that still act for the fun of acting and wont take a job unless he wants to play it (not for the money). He is great friends with Sam Raimi too (he grew up with him and was in all his early movies, heck...he used to babysit for Ted "Joxer the Mighty!" Raimi (Sams brother)).

Archived