Aberrant: Quantum Zero - Quantum Zero

ProfPotts

The duo start floating downwards, the damp, fresh air from the Jungle filling their lungs as leaves brush against them. Halfway beneath the canopy they stop.

"I've got some hot goods I want to get rid of..."

Terry shoves a hand in one of his pockets and takes out three cell phones. With a gentle shove they slowly float towards John.

"Nate, Derek, Mike and Will's cell phones...If they are tracked and bugged, you might not want to take them to your home. I wanted to have Devries check them...but then I don't exactly have the ressources..."

"Not that it really matters if you bring them home...Stranger's secret is no secret to Masters."

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The duo start floating downwards, the damp, fresh air from the Jungle filling their lungs as leaves brush against them. Halfway beneath the canopy they stop.

"I've got some hot goods I want to get rid of..."

Terry shoves a hand in one of his pockets and takes out three cell phones. With a gentle shove they slowly float towards John.

"Nate, Derek and Will's cell phones...If they are tracked and bugged, you might not want to take them to your home. I wanted to have Devries check them...but then I don't exactly have the ressources..."

"Not that it really matters if you bring them home...Stranger's secret is no secret to Masters."

John stares at the phones as if they were live vipers. "I don't want these! Terry, there's no way I'm taking these home with me, regardless of whether you think Masters already knows."

He frowns at the floating nova across from him. "If you need the phones checked, I can help you out with that. Give me a call tomorrow afternoon, and by then I'll be able to have the phones taken care of. Okay?"

Mike looks up into Carla's beautiful eyes and smiles, "Well, thanks for the compliment, but I'm definately not perfect.  Like I said, I probably wouldn't be as interested in helping you if you weren't so amazingly beautiful..."

"Hey don't knock piece of mind..." Mike smiles and takes a sip of his wine.  "First, let me be honest.  Mr. Masters doesn't know I'm here, I'm not exactly authorized to hire people.  I came because I thought I might be able to help you, and get to know you better  ::wink , and tell you a little about MI>  If you're interested after that, I'll talk to Masters and see what we can do.

Carla dimples and blushes at the compliment, but lets Mike continue.

First and foremost, Masters' is a family.  I know it seems corny, but it's true.  MI looks out fo its own, baseline and nova alike, and most of its employers are there for life.  It's a stable workplace amidst a world of uncertaintly, and it makes you feel like you're part of something bigger than yourself.  Now, you're not gonna get filthy rich like those elites that work over at DeVries, but as you can see, things aren't too miserly at MI..."

She nods as she sips her wine.

Sure, families are nice, but they come in different flavors, like Partridge, Addams and Corleone ::wink

Mike pauses for a moment, and again takes Carla's hand, "Look, I know you're not ready to make any decisions right now; trust me, I understand.  But just know that no matter what you decide, I'm here for you."

Carla sighs, but she doesn't draw her hand back this time.

It all sounds very nice - I'm not sure what to do at this point. I assume I can't just show up at the Masters Building for a tour - I'm a nova and an admitted thief, and probably shouldn't be trusted ::biggrin

John stares at the phones as if they were live vipers. "I don't want these! Terry, there's no way I'm taking these home with me, regardless of whether you think Masters already knows."

He frowns at the floating nova across from him. "If you need the phones checked, I can help you out with that. Give me a call tomorrow afternoon, and by then I'll be able to have the phones taken care of. Okay?"

"If I need...I thought I was doing this for your brother, John."

Terry rubs his hand over his eyes as he shakes his head

"Sorry man, its been a long day for me too...a long week!...I'll call you tomorrow."

"How did your meeting with Vinnie go? Did he tell you his family is planning to kill me? I'm guessing that means he'll try to kill me but I won't know for sure 'til later. Either him or some other hired goon. I'm still wondering how to handle it...Pathfinder asked me if I wanted her friends to handle it..."

Terry sighs

"Stupid mafia...If her friends do get involved, chances are it'll be an us and them situation, y'know? With Elites involved, no doubt. The baseline members of the family would die for sure...but if they don't get involved..."

Terry looks up

"What do you think I should do?"

It all sounds very nice - I'm not sure what to do at this point. I assume I can't just show up at the Masters Building for a tour - I'm a nova and an admitted thief, and probably shouldn't be trusted

Mike squeezes her hand gently and smiles, "What you should do at this point is forget about all of that, and have a good time with me tonight. We have great food, great company, and an MI limo for the night. Let's not waste it. Besides, I definately need to be seen on the town with you, you are much too beautiful to take home early... ::wink "

Mike squeezes her hand gently and smiles, "What you should do at this point is forget about all of that, and have a good time with me tonight.  We have great food, great company, and an MI limo for the night.  Let's not waste it.  Besides, I definitely need to be seen on the town with you, you are much to beautiful to take home early...  ::wink "

This gets a nice heartfelt laugh out of Carla ::laugh, and she seems more relaxed than she's been all night.

Okay, fair enough - tonight is for us, and let Masters be damned...except for the part where he's paying for dinner and our ride ::wink

Working the tension out of her shoulders, she lets herself sag into her chair a bit, and sighs contentedly; after another sip of wine, she frowns prettily, then leans across the table conspiratorially.

Can I make a confession to you? I have my eufiber with me right now; well, it's actually in the coat check, and I'm starting to feel nervous not having it with me. Not only did it cost a fortune on my budget, but it's sort of like...my security blanket. Do you mind if I run and grab it? ::blush

Can I make a confession to you? I have my eufiber with me right now; well, it's actually in the coat check, and I'm starting to feel nervous not having it with me. Not only did it cost a fortune on my budget, but it's sort of like...my security blanket. Do you mind if I run and grab it?

Mike laughs quietly, and leans in as well, his mouth just inches from hers, "Definately not, if I had one of those, I don't think I'd ever take it off... well, almost never ::wink "

"How did your meeting with Vinnie go? Did he tell you his family is planning to kill me?"

John deadpans, "Oh, that. Yeah, he mentioned it while we were waiting on our entrees."

I'm guessing that means he'll try to kill me but I won't know for sure 'til later. Either him or some other hired goon. I'm still wondering how to handle it...Pathfinder asked me if I wanted her friends to handle it..."

Terry sighs

"Stupid mafia...If her friends do get involved, chances are it'll be an us and them situation, y'know? With Elites involved, no doubt. The baseline members of the family would die for sure...but if they don't get involved..."

Terry looks up

"What do you think I should do?"

John regards Terry seriously. "In all honesty? I think you should take a break. Disappear for a little while, and let me deal with things. You're running yourself ragged right now, Terry."

John deadpans, "Oh, that. Yeah, he mentioned it while we were waiting on our entrees."

Terry's emerald eyes fix Johns...he can almost feel the sense of betrayal seeping from Terry.

"I...see...yet you still dealt with him.,," ::dry

John regards Terry seriously. "In all honesty? I think you should take a break. Disappear for a little while, and let me deal with things. You're running yourself ragged right now, Terry."

"Yes, do that..."

John starts sliding earthwards, Terry looking down at him. His expression is blank...pained...and before John realises it he's in his his guestroom and looking at Terry through a portal. The last thing he sees, so brief he'd wonder if it were a trick of the light were it not for his infallible memory, are Terry's eyes turning from their characteristic green...to black, almost empty, orbs... ::stormtrooper

and the portal snaps shut.

In the ring:

Despite Will's superior speed, he realises quickly that he's fighting an uphill battle as each punch or kick he lands on his friend feels like he is hitting solid rock, whereas those delivered by Nathan almost floor the young speedster. Fighting defensively for as long as he can and making opertunistic shots when they reveal themselves, a successful punch from Nate knocks him to the other end of the ring.

Healing the broken jaw, he gives in to his pain and asks

"Forcefeilds now?"

Despite Will's superior speed, he realises quickly that he's fighting an uphill battle as each punch or kick he lands on his friend feels like he is hitting solid rock, whereas those delivered by Nathan almost floor the young speedster. Fighting defensively for as long as he can and making opertunistic shots when they reveal themselves, a successful punch from Nate knocks him to the other end of the ring.

Nathan freezes in a basic fighting stance while he waits for Will to recover, his whole body now vaguely glowing.

Healing the broken jaw, he gives in to his pain and asks

"Forcefeilds now?"

Shifting to a more defensive stance, Nate smiles.

"Sure."

The glowing outline of his body intensifies as he waits for Will's move.

Terry's emerald eyes fix Johns...he can almost feel the sense of betrayal seeping from Terry.

"I...see...yet you still dealt with him.,," 

Honestly surprised, John's eyebrows shoot up and he opens his mouth to say something, but then...

John starts sliding earthwards, Terry looking down at him. His expression is blank...pained...and before John realises it he's in his his guestroom and looking at Terry through a portal. The last thing he sees, so brief he'd wonder if it were a trick of the light were it not for his infallible memory, are Terry's eye turning from their characteristic green...to black, almost empty, orbs... 

"Terry, wait..."

and the portal snaps shut.

"You misunderstood. Damn it." Irritated with himself and Terry, the wealthy actor throws his hands up in frustration and lays down in bed. Letting his eufiber shrink down to a simple pair of boxers, he slides under the blankets and tries to go to sleep.

Mike laughs quietly, and leans in as well, his mouth just inches from hers, "Definately not, if I had one of those, I don't think I'd ever take it off... well, almost never  ::wink "

Carla grins.

Thanks, you're a dear.

She leans over and gives him a kiss on the cheek, than heads to the coat check; after assuring the maitre d' that she is not skipping out on the bill, she asks if they have paper bag she can use ("Doggie bag size should be fine."). She then takes the bag and her coat into the ladies' room.

After making sure no one else in the room, she ducks into a stall, gets out of her outfit and slips into her eufiber, briefly 'powering up' so it can take on the shape of her red dress and shoes. Finally she carefully wraps her real shoes in her real dress, and places them inside the doggie bag.

On her way out, she checks herself in the mirror, sliding a hand affectionly down her 'dress'.

Ah, it's nice to have you back, baby ::biggrin

Once again dormed down, she returns to the table with a little more pep in her step, and takes her seat.

Oh, that feels so much better! Do you think it's possible to get addicted to this stuff? ::wink

(OOC: let me know if this is not doable, Prof - as I understand eufiber, I believe it is. If not, I can edit.)

Once again dormed down, she returns to the table with a little more pep in her step, and takes her seat.

Oh, that feels so much better! Do you think it's possible to get addicted to this stuff?

Mike smiles, "I could definately get addicted to watching you in it, I guess skin-tight isn't an exagerration in eufiber... ::cool, So, what's on the agenda tonight, know any good clubs around here?"

Mike smiles, "I could definately get addicted to watching you in it, I guess skin-tight isn't an exagerration in eufiber... ::cool,  So, what's on the agenda tonight, know any good clubs around here?"

Carla screws up her eyes in thought.

There are some goods one I know in Hoboken, which isn't far. Let's see, Bar None will be crowded with drunken college girls tonight, which is not my idea of a good time... ::rolleyes

After a few more seconds, a thought hits her, and she lights up like a Christmas tree as she flaps her hands excitedly.

Ooh, ooh, it's salsa night at the Green Man Lounge, 14th Street and Willow! And afterwards, there's a great pool hall just a block away, we could walk there, no problem. How does that sound - margaritas and salsa dancing, followed by a few friendly games of pool? ::wink

Ooh, ooh, it's salsa night at the Green Man Lounge, 14th Street and Willow! And afterwards, there's a great pool hall just a block away, we could walk there, no problem. How does that sound - margaritas and salsa dancing, followed by a few friendly games of pool?

Mike smiles, happy that Carla has, apparently, loosened up a bit.

"Hey sounds like a plan, though I must warn you; my salsa is a little rusty so you may need to give me a little personal instruction ::cool . As for pool, well I was the dorm champ back in college..."

Mike smiles, happy that Carla has, apparently, loosened up a bit.

"Hey sounds like a plan, though I must warn you; my salsa is a little rusty so you may need to give me a little personal instruction  ::cool .  As for pool, well I was the dorm champ back in college..."

Carla grins.

I'm willing to take that chance.

As soon as they're finished and the bill's been paid, Carla leads Mike out to the limo, tugging eagerly at his hand.

C'mon, the night is young! ::laugh

She then pauses, and leans in closer to whisper.

Um, once we're back in the limo...do you want to see me 'power up'? ::blush ::unsure

As soon as they're finished and the bill's been paid, Carla leads Mike out to the limo, tugging eagerly at his hand.

C'mon, the night is young!

Mike smiles, happy that Carla seems to finally be enjoying herself, and lets himself be led...

She then pauses, and leans in closer to whisper.

Um, once we're back in the limo...do you want to see me 'power up'?

Mike's eyes light up at this, "Definately, I was hoping you'd ask.."

Mike smiles, happy that Carla seems to finally be enjoying herself, and lets himself be led...

Mike's eyes light up at this, "Definately, I was hoping you'd ask.."

Carla laughs.

Okay, buddy - you asked for it! ::tongue

Once they're in the car and she's given the driver directions, Carla makes sure all the windows are up and the privacy barrier between the front and back seats is fully raised. She squares her shoulders and rubs her hands eagerly together.

Okay, yeah, you think I'm a hot tomato now. But if you can handle something a little different, you ain't seen nothin' yet! ::cool

With a contented sigh, Carla stretches languidly back in her seat, and suddenly she's grown a few inches taller, her hair sprouts punky blonde highlights, and her dress becomes positively criminal, a clingy, red sequined number slit well up her tawny thigh. The passing streetlights glisten off her shimmering micro-scales as her arms, a pair of sensual serpents, stretch and coil around the dangerous curves of waist and hip, hands snaking their way down to slip off her scarlet pumps before her limbs return to their proper dimensions. When Slither smiles, it's the lazy grin of a jungle cat, waiting to gobble up a frightened, tasty mouse.

So, she purrs, her voice a throaty whisper. Whaddya think? Too scary for you? ::wink ::wow

And to herself, Carla thinks,

*At last! Finally I get to play!* ::laugh

In the gym:

Nathan keeps his inhuman eyes on Will's, and with a sly smile comments

"What's the matter? You gonna bore me to death?" ::cool  ::tongue

"Tactics grasshopper, tactics!" Will gaining his second wind launches himself in a flurry of attacks that bounce of Blaze's forcefield as he suspected they would but atleast Nathan's return hits don't hurt asmuch.

After a drawn out sparring match Will calls for a break, hoping out of the ring and returning with a couple of bottles of Nova-ade™ tossing one to Nate "I haven't seen much of Emma lately, how's she doing?"

Carla laughs.

Okay, buddy - you asked for it!

Once they're in the car and she's given the driver directions, Carla makes sure all the windows are up and the privacy barrier between the front and back seats is fully raised. She squares her shoulders and rubs her hands eagerly together.

Okay, yeah, you think I'm a hot tomato now. But if you can handle something a little different, you ain't seen nothin' yet!

Mike smiles nonchalantly, fully prepared for Carla’s transformation. As the high school/college football star, he’d had his share of dates with beautiful (even nova level beauty) women in the past.

With a contented sigh, Carla stretches languidly back in her seat, and suddenly she's grown a few inches taller, her hair sprouts punky blonde highlights, and her dress becomes positively criminal, a clingy, red sequined number slit well up her tawny thigh. The passing streetlights glisten off her shimmering micro-scales as her arms, a pair of sensual serpents, stretch and coil around the dangerous curves of waist and hip, hands snaking their way down to slip off her scarlet pumps before her limbs return to their proper dimensions. When Slither smiles, it's the lazy grin of a jungle cat, waiting to gobble up a frightened, tasty mouse.

As Mike lifts his jaw up off the floor of the limo, it’s clear that he wasn’t as prepared as he might’ve thought. Sure, he’d seen and been with beautiful women before, but this woman was totally unique; her scales and feline mannerisms were exotic in the extreme, and definitely caught Mike’s eye.

So, she purrs, her voice a throaty whisper. Whaddya think? Too scary for you?

Unable to form a coherent response, Mike simply leans forward and lets his lips connect gently with hers…

After a drawn out sparring match Will calls for  a break, hoping out of the ring and returning with a couple of bottles of  Nova-ade™ tossing one to Nate "I haven't seen much of Emma lately, how's she doing?"

Squatting on top of the ropes Nathan takes a sip from his bottle and stares into space for a second.

"She's doing fine. I think. Seems like something's been on her mind lately, though. We get along fine, and she's a great girl, but sometimes she goes a bit quiet, you know?"

"And it's not all being in the wrong century either. She's getting used to that, even if her taste of music is a bit outdated..." ::rolleyes

Jumping off the rope he heads for the shower, saying over his shoulder

"In fact, I'm gonna go see her now, just have to wash off some of your blood first... See you later!" ::cool

After a refreshing shower he suits up in the usual jeans getup, the text '1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 g37 l41d' on the chest of his t-shirt.

Grabbing his jacket and shades on the way out he then makes his way to see Emma. [OOC: Wherever she spends her time... ::rolleyes ] On the way he calls ahead.

"Hey, Emma? It's me. Just thought I'd check in and see if you've tried to reach me. Yeah, I lost my phone again... I know. Well... er... it's a long story. Say, are you hungry? How about joining me for a take-away pizza or two or self-made, burned burgers at my place? I'll pick you up in half an hour or so."

As Mike lifts his jaw up off the floor of the limo, it’s clear that he wasn’t as prepared as he might’ve thought.  Sure, he’d seen and been with beautiful women before, but this woman was totally unique; her scales and feline mannerisms were exotic in the extreme, and definitely caught Mike’s eye.

Unable to form a coherent response, Mike simply leans forward and lets his lips connect gently with hers…

It's a really amazing kiss, all the more so because of the millions of ultra-fine scales on her lips that create a slight tingling sensation at every point of contact. Slither leans forward, her soft warm body pressing against his, and breathes into Mike's ear.

You ever wonder why so many novas do it on their first date? Is it because they can't help themselves, or do we all secretly want to be the bad guys? ::blink ::wub

It's a really amazing kiss, all the more so because of the millions of ultra-fine scales on her lips that create a slight tingling sensation at every point of contact. Slither leans forward, her soft warm body pressing against his, and breathes into Mike's ear.

You ever wonder why so many novas do it on their first date? Is it because they can't help themselves, or do we all secretly want to be the bad guys? ::blink ::wub

Mike pulls his head back slightly and glances up into Carla, no, Sltiher's eyes; seemingly lost in their sheer beauty, then answers her two questions with one answer, "Yes."

Mike pulls his head back slightly and glances up into Carla, no, Sltiher's eyes; seemingly lost in their sheer beauty, then answers her two questions with one answer, "Yes."

Slither smiles and returns to her seat opposite Mike (OOC:I'm assuming it's a big limo ::tongue), arms folded, a slender forefinger stroking her lip.

Hmm - conundrum. Do we make with the nasty right now, or do we show ourselves to be people of admirable restraint, and procede with the evening as planned? The sweaty beast in me says, hell yeah, let's go for it, but the tiny portion of my brain that's still capable of rational thought isn't quite buying it.

Suddenly her dress shrinks down to a miniscule two-piece bikini, and she crosses her long legs as she reclines. ::wow

What are your thoughts, Mike, and forgive me for being so forward. ::wink

While she appears to be enjoying herself immensely, below the surface Carla's thoughts are more muddled.

*Oh, this is so wrong! What is this to you, revenge? Against Mike, for making you feel all gooey inside, or against Marco and his cronies, for making you feel powerless?* ::unsure

Slither smiles and returns to her seat opposite Mike (OOC:I'm assuming it's a big limo ::tongue), arms folded, a slender forefinger stroking her lip.

Hmm - conundrum. Do we make with the nasty right now, or do we show ourselves to be people of admirable restraint, and procede with the evening as planned? The sweaty beast in me says, hell yeah, let's go for it, but the tiny portion of my brain that's still capable of rational thought isn't quite buying it.

Suddenly her dress shrinks down to a miniscule two-piece bikini, and she crosses her long legs as she reclines. ::wow

What are your thoughts, Mike, and forgive me for being so forward. ::wink

Mike sits back in his seat, secretly thankful that Slither had given him time to gather his wits. As he leans forward to grab the champagne and fill their glasses, he says to her, "Hey, no apologies necessary. A girl that says her mind is a very refreshing change ::wink."

As he hands her the glass of champagne, Mike takes a long look at her very curvaceous and barely covered body; wondering if this was a reward or punishment...

He leans back and takes a long drink from his glass, finishing it in one gulp, "Well, I'm as up for meaningless hot sex in a limo as the next guy; but we could go to the club and have some fun and get to know each other, and then if the mood still strikes us, head back to my place ::cool . (he pushes down on the leather seats) Besides, my bed is definately more comfortable than this..."

Mike sits back in his seat, secretly thankful that Slither had given him time to gather his wits.  As he leans forward to grab the champagne and fill their glasses, he says to her, "Hey, no apologies necessary.  A girl that says her mind is a very refreshing change ::wink."

Slither just smiles. ::smile

As he hands her the glass of champagne, Mike takes a long look at her very curvaceous and barely covered body; wondering if this was a reward or punishment...

He leans back and takes a long drink from his glass, finishing it in one gulp, "Well, I'm as up for meaningless hot sex in a limo as the next guy; but we could go to the club and have some fun and get to know each other, and then if the mood still strikes us, head back to my place  ::cool . (he pushes down on the leather seats) Besides, my bed is definately more comfortable than this..."

She nods her approval.

Fair enough.

And with that, her eufiber slides back over much of her skin, resulting in a short, hot red dress ideally suited for latin dancing, and Carla dorms down. The limo almost seems to drop a few degrees in temperature as she smiles and fetches her pumps.

Well, I think that's about enough torture for now - we should be at the Green Man shortly. ::wink

Slither just smiles. ::smile

She nods her approval.

Fair enough.

And with that, her eufiber slides back over much of her skin, resulting in a short, hot red dress ideally suited for latin dancing, and Carla dorms down. The limo almost seems to drop a few degrees in temperature as she smiles and fetches her pumps.

Well, I think that's about enough torture for now - we should be at the Green Man shortly. ::wink

Mike watches (somewhat sadly) as Slither's eufiber reforms and she becomes Carla, "Man, I really need to get me one of those... the eufiber that is..."

As the limo pulls up to the Green Man, Mike steps out and offers his hand to Carla, "Well, lead the way my beautiful vixen..."

Mike watches (somewhat sadly) as Slither's eufiber reforms and she becomes Carla, "Man, I really need to get me one of those... the eufiber that is..."

As the limo pulls up to the Green Man, Mike steps out and offers his hand to Carla, "Well, lead the way my beautiful vixen..."

Carla takes Mike's hand, but soon the pulsing sounds of salsa can be heard even out on the street, and Carla is lost, swaying her hips in time to the music as she dances away from him towards the club's entrance. She spins to face him, eyes flashing as she twists the air between them with her hands, drawing Mike closer.

Oh, you're in for a good time tonight, Mikey - do you feel that rhythm, down in your gut? We are gonna to go crazy in there, and then nothing is going to be the same. ::cool

Smiling wickedly, she takes him by the hand and leads him into the heat, the music, the dance…

Carla takes Mike's hand, but soon the pulsing sounds of salsa can be heard even out on the street, and Carla is lost, swaying her hips in time to the music as she dances away from him towards the club's entrance. She spins to face him, eyes flashing as she twists the air between them with her hands, drawing Mike closer.

Oh, you're in for a good time tonight, Mikey - do you feel that rhythm, down in your gut? We are gonna to go crazy in there, and then nothing is going to be the same. ::cool

Smiling wickedly, she takes him by the hand and leads him into the heat, the music, the dance…

Mike just stares at Carla's swaying, sensual body; wishing for just a moment that it was Slither he was watching. Shaking his head as if to bring himself back to reality he allows himself to be led in to the club...

• 4 weeks later...
Mike just stares at Carla's swaying, sensual body; wishing for just a moment that it was Slither he was watching.  Shaking his head as if to bring himself back to reality he allows himself to be led in to the club...

Carla and Mike dance for a while, having a good time, when she suddenly stops and looks at him critically.

What?

She looks down at herself, grimaces slightly, and then nods.

Oh, I get it - you miss her don't you?

Carla shakes her head in mock-disgust.

So now 'plain old Carla' isn't good enough, is she? Well, let me see what I can do about that...

She turns around and backs into him, wrapping his arms around her waist as she continues to ride the rhythm with her hips.

How's that? Better? ::wink ::wow

• 3 months later...

Darkness enshrounded the red & black clad figure as he squatted between two gargoyles perched on the edge of the small church's roof. Darkness enshrouded him because he wanted it to... After all, it wouldn't be right for the Gothic Knight to be seen by those he was waiting for...

... He didn't have to wait long. A figure clothed in a distinctive dark outfit swung down from a line to alight quietly on the rooftop of the low building opposite. The Knight had been right - The Stranger had obviously learnt about the deal & concluded that the Dark Templars might see it as a target. The city protector allowed himself a slight smile beneath his chain-mail hood - he'd been tracking the vigilante's activities for some time, it was good to know that he'd judged the man correctly.

As he watched, The Stranger prowled to the edge of the shop's roof & peered over, observing, as the Knight himself had, that lights were on in the back room of the small electronics store. He also appeared to note the van parked out back - the one belonging to the Rush dealers inside...

... Rush was the latest in Nova-derived designer drugs - some sort of Nova hormone spliced with a dose of speed. He'd seen the effects on the streets over the last few nights - youths hyped-up so much that they blurred when they moved. It was worrying, but they had only been samples - the dealers were here tonight to meet with someone who could handle distribution of their new illegal cocktail...

... As if on cue a black sedan rolled up. The Knight again chuckled quietly - it seemed that since the Megasyndicate take-over the few old 'families' who survived were desperate to keep their identities by falling into some of the worst Hollywood sterotypes. Of course, it also meant that they tried their damndest to avoid having to ask the Russians for help, hence... And there they were: two of the family's Novas...

The first he recognised as the DeVries Elite called The Ghost. He knew that one had family connections, but now had the legal backing of the DeVries lawyers. The other was, he'd discovered, a local girl - called herself Slither, amongst other things - & was just starting to get in over her head. They exited the car with Marco - one of the low-level family lieutenants who thought he was a rising star. The other Elite they'd hired, a guy called Link, had federal connections & was off investigating the Templars from another angle - he wasn't sure whether that one would show his face tonight or not.

He watched as the trio checked the shop over before heading in. Slither, he knew, had recently become involved with one of Masters' own Novas... probably some effort to tempt information out of the guy with a little honey. Still, the fact that both her & The Ghost had been dragged along meant that the family also thought that a Templar hit was a possibility. It matched the group's M.O. after all - they'd been steadily wiping out any rival drugs on the streets for a while now, & wouldn't want to see a new narcotic which they didn't control become the next big thing.

So, The Stranger, the family, & himself had all reached the same conclusions... He just hoped now that the Templars would show. He was interested in how each of the groups would react - he was there to protect his city, but if vigilantes & mobsters were going to happily wipe each other out on the quiet, then he wasn't about to interfere...

The Gothic Knight shivered. It wasn't that he felt the cold... he did feel the cold, of course, he felt everything around him in the city with a keen awareness which others would never understand - but he wasn't discomforted by the cold... No... it was a feeling... an intuition... that there were big things being set into motion in other parts of the city tonight... & he hated to not know what was going on...

The Masters Building:

The old man glanced around the various Novas gathered in the lounge of his penthouse atop the skyscraper headquarters of his international multi-billion dollar business empire. Blaze & William he was fairly sure of... Dr Chen, of course, was always loyal. Interface... well... he'd have to see. As for Mike - he liked Mike, but still wasn't sure where his loyalties lied...

... Then there was Emma - one of the most powerful Novas on the planet, but unable to use that power safely. She, in many ways, proved the point of his 'crusade' - but she was a part of the history he was about to reveal, it was important she be there.

Masters took another sip of his single malt, then placed the glass on the sideboard. Facing the assembled group he took another moment to cast his eyes over them, then began,

'Some of you have an idea what I'm about to tell you. Others are more in the dark. I'm about to reveal some secrets of history which have been hidden from the general public. It's important for those who are going to join me in my latest... 'venture'... to understand as much of the big picture as is practical at the moment.'

He paused, letting his words sink in, making sure he'd captured their collective attention,

'This information, & the things I'll be asking you to do, will change your lives. I'm not going to pretend it will be easy, but it is necessary. It's of utmost importance to every man, woman, & child on this planet. I do not use such words lightly. But the last thing any of us will need is doubt. So I offer this one last chance. In a moment I'll be heading into the vault where I will begin to outline what has gone before, & what is to come. Those who aren't commited, who don't feel they can join us, should leave now. The elevator will take you to the lobby, and my people will take you anywhere you need to go.'

Masters emphasizes his words with a gesture towards the elevator door - which glides smoothly open, awaiting any who want to back out of the meeting. Masters himself crosses the room to the airlock-like door which protect his private vault - that too opens, with a hiss, at his approach. Inside the armoured room can be seen to be dimly lit, but with several comfortable leather armchairs placed within the circle of illumination cast by the one ceiling light which is turned on...

The Blackburn Hotel:

PathFinder stepped quietly to the side of her man as he gazed out across the writhing sea of baselines who jived to the jazz music in the restored art-deco club beneath the balcony. For a moment the pale Terat just layed her head on the gravity-manipulator's muscular shoulder, enjoying the way his thoughts felt so much clearer & uncluttered now that he was seeing with new eyes. Neither of them spoke - they rarely did around each other these days - but her thoughts mingled with his in a more pure form of communication,

*I know - they seem so small now, don't they. Crowding in this place for the slightest chance to see one of us, maybe even brush against one of us on the dance floor. You're right - they are small - small lives & small dreams... But that's just the natural order of things: there is no blame implied. They are what they are. We are so much more.*

She offered him a slight smile as her all-white eyes stared into the dark pools which were now his eyes, & gently steered him back through the bay doors behind them & into the lavish 'Nightingale Room' - the club's Nova-only private bar.

Inside four of Virus sat facing each other across a poker table, one apparantly getting irrate that its dopplegangers were cheating. In the corner of the ceiling crouched an insectile-girl whom PathFinder had introduced to Terry as Emelia Smythe - her baseline father worked for the owner of the hotel, so she'd come here after barely surviving the Masters International assault on the Heartland complex where she'd been living. The long lengths of Eel coiled by the bar where she was nursing a drink served in a metal tankard - the electrical sparks running over her body jumping to & sparking off the mug as she drank. PathFinder steered Terry past all of these to where the infamous Count Orzaiz sat relaxing in a padded leather armchair, a glass of finest brandy between his fingers. Indicating for Terry to sit also, PathFinder sat between the two men...

For a few moments Orzaiz sips his brandy & studies Terry, then he smiles,

'We have much to discuss, Terry - you have questions, & I have... if not answers... then guides along the path you've chosen to walk. But first, we have another matter to discuss.'

With that a fourth armchair materialises, completing the small group - for a moment the image of chair & occupant flickers, then it settles - although it appears both slightly glowing & slightly translucent. Seated in the chair is a young man in a classic tuxedo with neat blond hair & blue eyes. Just his 'image'-like quality & the occassional spark of electricity within his eyes hint at his evolved status. The new arrival smiles at both Terry & PathFinder, before turning to the Count & speaking in a voice which appears to echo somewhat as it sounds from all around the listeners,

'I've found him.'

PathFinder raises an eyebrow,

'How? I've been trying and...'

The young man raises one hand & shakes his head,

'Not your fault - Psyche has him, she's been blocking you.'

'But you found him, Synapse?' the Count inclines his head towards the lad, 'As always I am impressed by your talents!'

Synapse grins,

'Yeah - I'm good, I know...' his expression then fades to a more serious one, '... But you guys will have to move fast. Right now she has him alone in the desert - pushing him till he melts or something. Only a few Utopian snipers & the like scattered about the area. I picked them up from a Utopian satallite feed, but I may not get so lucky again. If she takes him back to Bahrain, or one of the other facilities, chances are we'll never be able to get to him.'

PathFinder stands,

'Then we must go now. I won't leave him for them to experiment on.'

Orzaiz nods, his face a grin mask,

'Of course. It's also possible that he has memories, even residual ones, of Bahrain which can be useful to us...' the handsome man catches PathFinder's look & smiles, adding, '... in our efforts to help the others detained there.'

PathFinder looks over to Terry,

'Glacier needs our help.'

The Masters Building

So I offer this one last chance. In a moment I'll be heading into the vault where I will begin to outline what has gone before, & what is to come. Those who aren't commited, who don't feel they can join us, should leave now. The elevator will take you to the lobby, and my people will take you anywhere you need to go.'

Masters emphasizes his words with a gesture towards the elevator door - which glides smoothly open, awaiting any who want to back out of the meeting. Masters himself crosses the room to the airlock-like door which protect his private vault - that too opens, with a hiss, at his approach. Inside the armoured room can be seen to be dimly lit, but with several comfortable leather armchairs placed within the circle of illumination cast by the one ceiling light which is turned on...

Will stands there, unmoving, looking straight at Masters. He resists the urge to look around ensuring he won't see anyone that decides to leave. Not sure if he could stand seeing any of his friends, as he no longer views them as just associates, walk out on something so vital.

*It doesn't matter if they leave, disapoinment asside, you know you have to do this with or without them* he tells himself, despite the sense of doubt in the back of his mind.

The old man glanced around the various Novas gathered in the lounge of his penthouse atop the skyscraper headquarters of his international multi-billion dollar business empire. Blaze & William he was fairly sure of... Dr Chen, of course, was always loyal. Interface... well... he'd have to see. As for Mike - he liked Mike, but still wasn't sure where his loyalties lied...

Nathan followed the old man's gaze as it moved across the room. He'd long since given up trying to guess his boss's thoughts, but he imagined he had a pretty good idea what was going on inside that brain now.

*He's gauging us... Weighing, measuring...*

He let his shaded, inhuman eyes move from one to the other of his companions as well, waiting for the old man to speak up.

... Then there was Emma - one of the most powerful Novas on the planet, but unable to use that power safely. She, in many ways, proved the point of his 'crusade' - but she was a part of the history he was about to reveal, it was important she be there.

Looking sideways at the strangely misplaced woman he'd been spending so much time with lately, Nathan wondered if he'd still be in on this if it wasn't for her... He's a little surprised that he can't immediately find the answer to that question, and gives her a quick smile before he returns his attention to Masters.

Masters took another sip of his single malt, then placed the glass on the sideboard. Facing the assembled group he took another moment to cast his eyes over them, then began,

'Some of you have an idea what I'm about to tell you. Others are more in the dark. I'm about to reveal some secrets of history which have been hidden from the general public. It's important for those who are going to join me in my latest... 'venture'... to understand as much of the big picture as is practical at the moment.'

*Always with the secrets, huh?*

He paused, letting his words sink in, making sure he'd captured their collective attention,

'This information, & the things I'll be asking you to do, will change your lives. I'm not going to pretend it will be easy, but it is necessary. It's of utmost importance to every man, woman, & child on this planet. I do not use such words lightly. But the last thing any of us will need is doubt. So I offer this one last chance. In a moment I'll be heading into the vault where I will begin to outline what has gone before, & what is to come. Those who aren't commited, who don't feel they can join us, should leave now. The elevator will take you to the lobby, and my people will take you anywhere you need to go.'

A wide grin spreads across Nate's face as Masters speaks. ::biggrin

"Who can resist a buildup like that?!?"

Shaking his head a little, he goes on

"It's like that movie - you know? - where the guy gets to choose between the green pill and the red pill - or was it blue? Who cares... - and the one is, like, instant memory wipe, and the other is instant zen consciousness or something. Or at least a door opener to lots of action and life-threatening situations. It's a pretty good movie, actually..."

His voice trails off a bit as it seems some of the others take this a bit more seriously.

"What the hell was it called again...?"

Pushing himself up out of his chair, Nathan heads towards Masters, turning to talk to his boss as he passes him and walks backwards to one of the chairs in the vault.

"Say... what if I really need to go to the playboy mansion, or something... Could that elevator take me there?" ::wink

The Ghost routinely scanned the street and nearby rooftops as they got out of the car and walked up to the shop front. A cold wind brought with it scents and sounds from the neighbourhood, laughter, cooking, sex and quarrels drifting through the air. Certain there was no immediate danger, he closed his eyes for a second and extended his senses into the near future.

*You can never be too careful...*

He was dressed for business, with his long, heavy black coat flapping slowly in the wind, and weapons and equipment stashed around his body. His hair had been growing long lately, and loose strands now brushed over the featureless mask covering his face. He paused a second before following Marco up the stairs, glancing up at the night sky and listening for the sound of stealth choppers...

The Blackburn Hotel

*I know - they seem so small now, don't they. Crowding in this place for the slightest chance to see one of us, maybe even brush against one of us on the dance floor. You're right - they are small - small lives & small dreams... But that's just the natural order of things: there is no blame implied. They are what they are. We are so much more.*

She offered him a slight smile as her all-white eyes stared into the dark pools which were now his eyes, & gently steered him back through the bay doors behind them & into the lavish 'Nightingale Room' - the club's Nova-only private bar.

Terry didn't answer. There was no need. He smiled back and allowed himself to be led by the beauty...

Things hadn't been the same since that meeting with John in the jungle. Something happened to him on that day of betrayal, furthering him on his path of evolution. His eyes had lost their emerald sheen and now seemed like windows opening into the depths of space. He'd left behind the destruction in the jungle in distraught, seeking guidance from Pathfinder. Now things were finally beginning to seem so much clearer...

PathFinder sat between the two men...

For a few moments Orzaiz sips his brandy & studies Terry, then he smiles,

'We have much to discuss, Terry - you have questions, & I have... if not answers... then guides along the path you've chosen to walk. But first, we have another matter to discuss.'

Terry nodded

The new arrival smiles at both Terry & PathFinder, before turning to the Count & speaking in a voice which appears to echo somewhat as it sounds from all around the listeners,

'I've found him.'

PathFinder raises an eyebrow,

'How? I've been trying and...'

The young man raises one hand & shakes his head,

'Not your fault - Psyche has him, she's been blocking you.'

'But you found him, Synapse?' the Count inclines his head towards the lad, 'As always I am impressed by your talents!'

Synapse grins,

'Yeah - I'm good, I know...' his expression then fades to a more serious one, '... But you guys will have to move fast. Right now she has him alone in the desert - pushing him till he melts or something. Only a few Utopian snipers & the like scattered about the area. I picked them up from a Utopian satallite feed, but I may not get so lucky again. If she takes him back to Bahrain, or one of the other facilities, chances are we'll never be able to get to him.'

Smiling back politely, Terry listened intently as he tried to understand what was going on. Could it be...?

PathFinder stands,

'Then we must go now. I won't leave him for them to experiment on.'

Orzaiz nods, his face a grin mask,

'Of course. It's also possible that he has memories, even residual ones, of Bahrain which can be useful to us...' the handsome man catches PathFinder's look & smiles, adding, '... in our efforts to help the others detained there.'

PathFinder looks over to Terry,

'Glacier needs our help.'

His eyebrows raised slightly, sadness and pity somehow conveyed through his his black orbs.

"John?"

Terry quickly got up from the table, his clubbing clothes turning into a skintight sheath of black. Looking across at the poker playing Viruses and the less than human Harvesters, he called out.

"One of ours needs help, who's in?"

Fixing Eel he raises and finger

"NO deaths!"

Then looking back down at Synapse he smiles.

"Thank you Synapse, you've no idea what this means to me. Glacier only needs...guidance. Where exactly are they?"

Holding Pathfinder close, he kisses her.

*Darling, do what you can to stop her mindf*cks, we'll take care of the rest.* ::sly ::bobafett

Atop the roof, The Stranger switched on the small camera hidden in his goggles, sending a video feed back to the recording equipment in his mini Strangercave. Backups would be automatically sent to his base in California.

That done, he also activated the mic under his coat lapel, providing a separate audio feed for the same recording equipment; then checked to make sure his GPS beacon was active.

Hearing a car pull up, he peered over the edge, noting Ghost and others with the Elite he didn't recognize. He'd pull up their faces later and see who they were.

Well-aware of Ghost's perceptive abilities, he still slowly pulled himself out of view, trying not to be seen. No sense in making it easy to be spotted.

Waiting until Ghost and company entered the building, The Stranger crept across the rooftop to the rear of the building, and visually checked for any guards at the rear entrance or manning the van.

Archived