Aberrant: Quantum Zero - Quantum Zero

ProfPotts

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The elder Jacobs boy frowns slightly,

"What? The old guy was likely to kill us both or something? Are you sure it was that dangerous in there?" 

Ian chuckles for a moment, "I doubt the old guy would have hurt us, but some of his clients are less than friendly."

"What do you mean? I thought the tattoo was a gang or cult symbol or something - isn't that what links your crimes?"

"Well, they did link our crimes... but now, I'm thinking it may be just that old man's art being the sole link together. Not the actual groups that commited the crimes."

"Really? Do I need to call in the DEA on this, bro? What sort of drug?"

Ian ponders this a moment, "It might be okay to call the DEA, but this guy only has it mixed into one of his inks. As for what it's called, to my understanding it's known as 'Demon's blood' on the streets."

"Yeah, whatever - but you'll need to eleborate on what you've told me when you're done. There's a coffee place a couple of blocks from here - we'll go there & discuss it."

"Sure thing, bro," Ian says before trying to call Ghost. After leaving a generic "Call Me" message, Ian walks with his brother over to the coffee place and gets a couple cups for the both of them.

"Alright, the moment has come.. it's time for some elaboration. I had to go through with the tattoo so we didn't tip anyone off. But when I was checking around for information, I found that he's used that same tattoo with what look to be two individual groups that happen to share a name. One more of a ritual cult and the other a biker gang. The drug that I mentioned in there, came from the group I'm looking for. I'm pretty sure it does some fairly destructive things to the users body by design. Now, what else was it you were wanting explainations about?"

Catching John's look (... & thought...), Psyche smiles slightly - obviously pleased that her words are, finally, starting to filter through to her charge's mind. With a wink & a grin she says quietly,

"Go for it, big guy."

An immature grin flashes over John's face just before he flips the switch within his mind, and the air around him changes color, matching the tint of the teenager's cold blue eyes. The glow shapes itself into the familiar, intimidating shape of the great bear, surrounding John - protecting him. The sand under him starts to freeze, and the warm breeze is tempered by the firm coolness emanating from the Glacier.

This distracts attention from the change taking place on John's body itself, as it grows larger and more muscular. His already handsome face becomes sharper, and more angular - stronger-looking, but also like a mocking parody of masculine perfection. Even the strangely genuine smile on John's face morphs into Glacier's half-smirk.

"So what are we doing out in the desert? Am I moving some sand dunes around for you or what?" ::dry

"I'd never threaten to fire you over something like this, Blaze - it's a choice for the individual to make, not an exercise in arm twisting - that sort of approach doesn't make for a contented & productive team after all."

Nathan smiles, and gives a small sigh of relief.

"I don't even know why I said that. ::blush But this is pretty heavy stuff, you know..."

"As for time... well, we're all meeting tonight - so try to think quickly, okay?"

"You got it, boss."

Nate jumps to his feet and picks up his jacket. Adjusting his sunglasses he gives Masters a final look, grins and says - in a heavy austrian accent

"I'll be baack." ::cool

He then leaves the office and heads for the elevator. Stopping just inside the door, he pauses a few seconds before deciding where to go.

*Will first. I gotta know what he's thinking.*

Reaching for his phone, he mentally slaps his forehead as he finds the pocket empty.

"Er... Computer? Is Will in the building? Will Henessie?"

Following directions he (hopefully) soon finds Will asleep at his desk. Not wanting to startle him too much, Nate knocks on the open door to announce his presence.

"Wakey, wakey! Rise and shine, Will!"

Jan smiles, then shrugs - heading into the kitchen to fix another drink & a bite to eat,

"That depends... as a double date it was nice - kinda' 'normal' if you know what I mean - she was a bit over-awed, but the rest of us seemed to be pretty much on a par... well, as much of a par you can get with me in the room!" The actress strikes a 'cheesecake' pose for a moment, then giggles, "But as a business meeting - well, old man Masters is the man for all that sort of thing, but as far as I could tell it all seemed a little... 'reserved' - if that's the right word. Too many secrets to protect I guess. Still, it all depends on what you wanted out if it... & it still went better than in the comics: there we'd have to have fought each other to a stand-still before anyone decided that we were all on the same side & called for a team-up!"

Quietly drinking his wine as Jan makes her sandwich, John nods his agreement to her opinion of the evening. One eyebrow raises slightly at the comic-book reference...

"What can I say - my little brother collected them... Until they all went 'Nova' instead of 'classic hero' anyway."
Pausing before taking a bite out of the huge sandwich she's constructed from leftovers in the fridge, a slight frown creases the brow of the Nova actress as she looks at her host,

"Still... those old comics make me think about a lot of stuff, you know? Like - 'would it be an abuse of my powers to sleep with this guy' - that sort of thing."

Again the beautious Nova shrugs, then adds,

"What do you think, John?" before chomping into the sandwich.

Still idly sipping, the normally calm and collected actor nearly chokes on the vintage merlot, sputtering as he grabs for a napkin to wipe his lips.

Taking a deep breath, he glances sideways at Janet while ineffectually using the wet napkin to try to clean his now stained shirt. "Well, um...your stance on intimate relations suddenly became much clearer..."

He shakes his head, a rueful smile dancing. "I'm sorry Janet, I just never thought of it that way. I can be a bit dense sometimes. Of course, the easy answer for me would be: 'No, no...of course it's no abuse of your powers.' But as much as I'd like the easy way, I could never be happy unless I knew you were totally okay with..."

Giving up on the napkin, he sets it down and rakes a hand through his hair, not quite sure what to say. Finally, he looks up at her and raises his hands in a shrug as well. "Ultimately, it's your decision. I like to think I'm fairly strong-willed, and able to resist your charms if needed...but you know the extent of your powers far better than I do. I think I'd like nothing more than to share myself with you as fully as possible, and I don't care one whit if it's a byproduct of your powers or not."

He looks up at her and smiles. "Jan, my feelings for you never changed, even when we were thousands of miles apart. I don't think your powers had anything to do with that." ::blush

::blush

Leaving John's apartment Vinnie takes Ms Cable's arm and leads the way back to the car in silence. After opening the passenger door and helping her inside he gets behind the wheel and pulls out of the parking area. Once again hitting the streets of New York he turns to his agent and says

"That was a nice evening, don't you think? Didn't go too bad businesswise, either... Now we'll just have to see who you can find for him."

The handsome italian pauses a second or two before he adds - in a slightly different tone of voice

"But that's tomorrow... How about we go and have another drink, now that the business is taken care of? This night isn't over yet..." ::wink ::cool

Dreamscape:

A gorgeus girl smiles at him, her body crushed and twisted, but her cheerful grin remains as though nothing were wrong, she says something but he can't hear it. He recognises the girl as Firefly, he knows she's dead but here she is in front of him *Is this real?*.

*No, it's a dream, we're not burning like we normally do* The familiar voice replies, he accepts it's explanation without question. This acceptance disturbs him somewhat, why trust this new voice?

*Because you trust yourself*

Startled by the response to the question he didn't remember asking, by the sound of, far more than what was spoken. He knew the voice, it was older and alittle more tired but he knew it was his own. He's now seeing himself, twice, both forms' focus going to the akward form of Firefly, she's floating around in paterns, her face content and glowing bright *She's still beutiful*.

*Yes she is*.

*What's it like in the future?*

*Huh?* the second him looks away from Firelfy and shrugs *You know as well as I do, or at least you will*

*Typical cryptic bullshit, I thought dreams like this only happened in the movies*

*They do, what can I say? You're not right in the head*

*Like I didn't know that... So now what?*

"Wanna dance?" Firefly suddenly apears between the two William's.

*I guess we dance*

Wakeytime:

"Wakey, wakey! Rise and shine, Will!"

"JESUS!" ::blink Will launches from his seat akwardly taking half the contents of his desk to the floor with him... ::wacko

"Christ, Nate! You scared the hell out of me!" Will says alittle too harshly as he is picking himself and some of the stationary up from the ground. Dropping the ledgers on the table, Will wipes his brow and whispers "Damned dreams".

"Sorry for snapping, pal, what's up?"

The Mike & Carla show! (begin theme music):

Everything should be perfect - handsome company, delicious food, nice atmosphere - but Carla is ten thousand miles away, her brain buzzing with activity.

She's gotten in too deep, and the only thing she knows for sure is someone is going to end up hurt - most likely herself, but quite possibly her friends, her family or even the gorgeous guy sitting across from her. If things got really bad, could she 'defect' to MI? Would they be able to protect her from Marco and his pals, or were all the stories true, and Masters was far more dangerous than all the mobsters combined? What about the Teragen - would Nathanson and his telepathic girlfriend be willing to help her? And how the hell did a nice girl from Hoboken, New Jersey get mixed up in all of this?

She shakes her head and smiles.

I'm sorry, I...completely missed the last five minutes of our conversation - what the hell are we talking about? ::blush

Wakeytime:

"JESUS!"  ::blink Will launches from his seat akwardly taking half the contents of his desk to the floor with him...  ::wacko

::blink

Nathan freezes with his fist against the door, staring at his friend's brutal awakening. Then he breaks into a fit of laughter.

::smile ::biggrin ::laugh ::lol ::crackmeup

"Christ, Nate! You scared the hell out of me!" Will says alittle too harshly as he is picking himself and some of the stationary up from the ground. Dropping the ledgers on the table, Will wipes his brow and whispers "Damned dreams".

"Sorry for snapping, pal, what's up?"

Nate leans against the door frame and crosses his arms over his chest as he stops laughing.

"You should have seen yourself, man. Priceless!" ::biggrin

His grin fading a little, his voice grows more serious as he continues.

"Just talked to the old man. Guess you've had something like the same conversation..."

"So you're in all the way, are you?"

"Just talked to the old man. Guess you've had something like the same conversation..."

"So you're in all the way, are you?"

"The Terragen?" Will stands there silent for a moment then nods before plomping himself down on the chair and starts putting his shoes on "Yeah, I'm in all the way. With that tone I take it you're not? Heh! He's asking a hell of a lot, isn't he?".

Done with his shoes, Will rises and notices a sizeable crack in his desk "I'd better leave a message with maintenance. You hungry?"

"The Terragen?" Will stands there silent for a moment then nods before plomping himself down on the chair and starts putting his shoes on "Yeah, I'm in all the way. With that tone I take it you're not? Heh! He's asking a hell of a lot, isn't he?".

"I don't know yet," Nate shrugs.

"I've got till a meeting tonight to think about it."

Done with his shoes, Will rises and notices a sizeable crack in his desk "I'd better leave a message with maintenance. You hungry?"

"Not really, but I'll tag along if you're eating."

"Do you mind if I ask why? Why you signed up for the war, I mean...?"

"I don't know yet," Nate shrugs.

"I've got till a meeting tonight to think about it."

Will nods, "Fair enough".

"Not really, but I'll tag along if you're eating."

"Do you mind if I ask why? Why you signed up for the war, I mean...?"

"Direct reason, because of what they did to Natalia, it's what got me into this, that's no secret. But that just covers the Harvesters and a handful of their associates, why go after the rest? Because they think it's ok to get away with murder, and whatever else they feel like, just because they can and good on those who already have. Shit like that is going to start a war in any case, at least with this war we have a chance to influence the outcome, maybe keep them away from those that can't defend themselves". ::shrug

"Yeah... Well, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over what happens to them, that's for sure. But still... Is it really our fight?"

"Don't get me wrong - it's not that I'm scared of it or anything, but shouldn't Team Tomorrow be doing this? I mean, there's always a right way and a wrong way of doing things, and I'm not sure this is one of them."

Seeing that Will is ready to go, Nate leads the way through the door.

"So. Food? Have you tried out the new gym, by the way?"

As they move through the halls, the white-haired nova keeps talking, but in a slightly lower voice.

"On the plus side, they deserve it. No doubt about it, and I'd probably enjoy breaking a few noses. But on the other hand it feels a little too much like taking the law in our own hands, you know? I mean, Masters isn't really the king of the world..."

Brothers Grim:

"Alright, the moment has come.. it's time for some elaboration. I had to go through with the tattoo so we didn't tip anyone off. But when I was checking around for information, I found that he's used that same tattoo with what look to be two individual groups that happen to share a name. One more of a ritual cult and the other a biker gang. The drug that I mentioned in there, came from the group I'm looking for. I'm pretty sure it does some fairly destructive things to the users body by design. Now, what else was it you were wanting explainations about?"

Andrew takes a sip of hot, black, coffee & looks at his little brother for a long while before answering,

"What else? Well, I'm tempted to say something like, 'Cut the bullshit & put all your cards on the table!', but I'll play along with whatever game it is you're running here... for now."

Shaking his head again, the elder Jacobs brother sighs, then says, counting off questions on his fingers as he goes,

"Okay: one - which of these two groups are you after? The bikers or the cultists? Two - why don't you think the two could be linked to each other? Some of those biker gangs are into some really weird stuff - drug dealing & cult rituals both sound like they could be appropriate. Three - what do you know about this 'demon's blood' drug? I'm not sure what you're messed up in here, bro', but I'm liking it less by the minute..."

Training:

"So what are we doing out in the desert? Am I moving some sand dunes around for you or what?"

Psyche smiles as John completes his transformation,

"Still got an attitude there, haven't you mister?"

Still, she doesn't appear mad at him or anything, & answers his question,

"Several reasons, really. The damage you can do out here is minimal - we can let you cut loose without fear of any more innocents getting in the way. The environment is somewhat opposed to your power manifestations - it's hot & there's a pretty low moisture content in the air - whatever you do, you'll have to push that little bit harder to do it. I'll be able to assess if you have any potential in regards to Utopia's terraforming projects - bringing ice to the desert could be a help after all. But most important of all... I kinda' like it out here."

The tattooed telepath smiles again, then walks slowly around Glacier - taking him in from all angles. Stopping once she's again facing him she puts her thumb & forefinger to her chin in a gesture of contemplation,

"So - this is your basic 'Nova' form? An undisciplined cryo-kinetic field held in a simple subconsciously induced shape. It's impressive, of course - you're pretty powerful, even by Nova standards - but very raw. I'm thinking that - as well as an inability to control your own emotional surges in this form - you also lack much in the way of actual control over your powers."

Placing her hands on her hips, Psyche looks Glacier in the eyes & says,

"Now - show me what you can do. Show me the extent of your powers - which aspects you can control. I've seen what your powers can make you do, show me what you can make your powers do."

With great power...:

"Jan, my feelings for you never changed, even when we were thousands of miles apart. I don't think your powers had anything to do with that."

The Nova actress smiles a sad smile,

"That's just the point, John - people always like to think they're acting of their own accord. My... my looks... have an impact even when people just see me in a film, or on the OpNet. I'm told that's pretty rare, even amongst us Nova star types. I've read terrible stories about what I've done to people's lives: husbands abandoning their wives & families because they 'fell in love' with an image of me in a movie, teenage girls killing themselves & leaving notes saying it's because they'll never be able to 'measure up' to me, devoted religious followers throwing away a lifelong Faith in favour of idolising Janet Thorne... I'm the worst kind of monster, John..."

For a moment Janet turns away... a gesture of grief which hits John harder than anything before in his life... but then she turns to face him again, quickly wiping away a lone tear & managing to smile,

"I've... I've learned the hard way just how dangerous my powers are, John. Mr Masters has helped me a lot with that. Everything I do - all the films & OpNet appearances, awards ceremonies, public galas - we make sure it's all checked, all planned, so that I don't make some throwaway comment which starts a riot or something. By carefully moderating my public life I can try to help make the world a better place - be a role-model rather than an unattainable target, send out positive messages, get people to think about each other for a change. Using my powers responsibly they can do good things, John - I know that now."

The actress's smile changes - just a small shift, but with a whole new emotional impact, as she again looks on her host with a certain amount of... longing... desire... in her features,

"You can see why it's important to me that my private life isn't cluttered with the same strictures as my public appearances? A girl needs to have fun once in a while, after all," she winks ::wink at John, "that's just human nature. I guess that's why I love the old man so much - Masters is the only guy I've met since my eruption where I've genuinely felt that he was more in control of the social situation than I was - I'm sure he'd take me to bed at a moment's notice if I asked, but with him I'd know it was because he wanted to bed me, not because he had no choice in the matter... Pity he's so old really..." She winks again ::wink .

Stepping over to her host Jan slips her arms around his neck & kisses him softly on the lips - John's senses are overwhelmed as the rest of the universe slips away, leaving only that one, perfect, moment. After a few, eternal, moments she breaks the embrace & steps away,

"I really like you John," she says - & the look in her eyes, the depth of her breathing, all seem to confirm what she's saying, "but I just don't think we're quite there yet. You're one of the most focused people I've ever met - if anyone can resist my charms, I'm sure it'll be you. But for now, I don't want to taint what we could have together by taking advantage of you. I'm sorry, John - I know it's selfish of me to want this, but... well, I hope you can understand..."

Italian charms:

"But that's tomorrow... How about we go and have another drink, now that the business is taken care of? This night isn't over yet..."

For a moment Ms Cable is lost in thought - her professional mind obviously still buzzing over the events of the evening, planning the next move - then Vinnie's words filter through to her...

... The DeVries rep' blushes deeply & turns her face away from her companion in a forlorn attempt to hide her feelings ::blush . She starts to stammer a refusal...

"... We... I... we can't... company policy... I..."

... but it's obvious her heart just isn't in it. The blonde South African trails off, the nervous, electric, tension within her obvious to her Elite companion as she tries to avoid eye-contact...

"What else? Well, I'm tempted to say something like, 'Cut the bullshit & put all your cards on the table!', but I'll play along with whatever game it is you're running here... for now."
"Okay: one - which of these two groups are you after? The bikers or the cultists? Two - why don't you think the two could be linked to each other? Some of those biker gangs are into some really weird stuff - drug dealing & cult rituals both sound like they could be appropriate. Three - what do you know about this 'demon's blood' drug? I'm not sure what you're messed up in here, bro', but I'm liking it less by the minute..."

Ian casually runs his hand over his head while taking a deep breath. After a moment he starts talking, "Here's the cards on the table. I'm looking to root out the location of a couple of the cultists to get them to someone who wants to put them on the front page of papers. These people are into human slavery, drugs, black tech, and murder. That's just what I've gotten intel on so far. The suspect list runs into some very affluent people who have very squeaky clean records. The reason I don't think the cultists are tied to the bikers is because of a total difference in MO behind getting the tattoo from the old man. One group drags him to them blindfolded and the other goes in. And as for the drug, that's a pretty intresting one.. from what I understand it makes you feel if not be actually stronger while your on it, addiction after the first dose, and a hard withdrawl. That's the one part I only know a little about."

Looking his brother in the eye, "Yea, I didn't expect you'd like it much. I imagine however, that if I wasn't looking into this that nobody else would be. I do appriciate all the help you've given me, in case you haven't heard that enough yet."

Everything should be perfect - handsome company, delicious food, nice atmosphere - but Carla is ten thousand miles away, her brain buzzing with activity.

She's gotten in too deep, and the only thing she knows for sure is someone is going to end up hurt - most likely herself, but quite possibly her friends, her family or even the gorgeous guy sitting across from her. If things got really bad, could she 'defect' to MI? Would they be able to protect her from Marco and his pals, or were all the stories true, and Masters was far more dangerous than all the mobsters combined? What about the Teragen - would Nathanson and his telepathic girlfriend be willing to help her? And how the hell did a nice girl from Hoboken, New Jersey get mixed up in all of this?

She shakes her head and smiles.

I'm sorry, I...completely missed the last five minutes of our conversation - what the hell are we talking about?

Mike smiles, a look of complete understanding and compassion fills his handsome face. "Nothing important. You seem preoccupied, maybe I can help? I understand how you must feel. People think that you erupt, and suddenly the world is perfect, but we know better. I know when I first erupted, I thought it was the worst thing that could have happened to me. I had a great football scholarship, and everyone said I would be a first round draft pick for sure. My life was set, then the eruption. Of course I couldn't play football anymore, and without the scholarship my parents couldn't afford my tuition. Then I met Mr. Masters. He took me in, showed me how to use my powers to help people, make me feel like I was really contributing to society."

Mike pauses for a moment, staring into Carla's eyes, looking for a reaction, "I'd like to help you too. I'm not saying you need to come to work for Masters, though I could probably help that happen if you'd like, but maybe I can help. I'd like to say that I'm just an altruist trying to help people, but that first day we met, I, felt something. You are so beautiful, and I have to admit I do have a bit of a personal agenda..." He smiles and slides his hand across the table and gently places it on top of hers...

... The DeVries rep' blushes deeply & turns her face away from her companion in a forlorn attempt to hide her feelings ::blush . She starts to stammer a refusal...

"... We... I... we can't... company policy... I..."

... but it's obvious her heart just isn't in it. The blonde South African trails off, the nervous, electric, tension within her obvious to her Elite companion as she tries to avoid eye-contact...

Letting his peripheral vision take care of the driving, Vinnie reaches out with one hand and turns Ms Cable's face towards him. Tilting her chin up he puts his thumb on her mouth to keep her from talking, and smiles at her.

"What's this strange word 'can't'?" ::huh

"There's nothing we can't do. Nothing." ::wink

His fingers run up her cheek to her temple, brushing back a loose strand of hair. He momentarily turns his attention to the traffic again, his hand brushing against her leg as he shifts gears and pulls into a parking garage along the way. Ascending the floors in silence he then parks the car and turns his full attention on his passenger.

"However," he smiles. "There's no way I can match the spectacular wining and dining you provided earlier tonight..."

His right hand reaches out to touch hers, and he looks deep into her eyes as he continues.

"...so I'll just have to sweep you off your feet my own way..." ::cool

As he speaks, reality shifts around them both, the car and garage disappearing and being replaced by a luxurious penthouse apartment with a 180 degree view of the city. Routinely calculating the two-inch difference between the car seats and the couch they end up in, Vinnie is prepared for the short fall and reaches out to support Elizabeth as she literally falls into his arms. His eyes hold her gaze for a few seconds, before he turns toward the door.

"Vincenzo," he says to the room in general, his voice deactivating the security systems. "...and company."

At his last words, the room is lit with a pleasantly soft light, and somewhere in the room a stereo system picks background music from an extensive collection. As the music fills the room the italian elite pulls his date closer, his hand feeling the skin of her naked back as he leans in to kiss her...

"Yeah... Well, I'm not gonna lose any sleep over what happens to them, that's for sure. But still... Is it really our fight?"

"Don't get me wrong - it's not that I'm scared of it or anything, but shouldn't Team Tomorrow be doing this? I mean, there's always a right way and a wrong way of doing things, and I'm not sure this is one of them."

"You're absolutely, 100% right, it should be their job but they're not exactly doing it too well. How can they? They have PR to worry about, making sure the world likes us novas. Who does this leave? The U.N? The government? The death toll would be massive and there's no way the toll isn't going to have innocents, both nova and non-nova making up the numbers". Taking a breath "This has to be handled privately, and by people 'like us'. That they've gone after people we both care about just makes those 'like us', Us, because I dont' know about you but I can't be sure someone else is giving it their all when I will be. Goddamn, I sounded just like my old coach". ::rolleyes

Seeing that Will is ready to go, Nate leads the way through the door.

"So. Food?

"I'm not all that hungry to tell the truth, all this eating has become some kind of habbit".

"Have you tried out the new gym, by the way?"

"No, Nat was in their earlier, I didn't want to bother her" Will sighs.

"But on the other hand it feels a little too much like taking the law in our own hands, you know? I mean, Masters isn't really the king of the world..."

"I know what you mean, but I think it has to be done". ::laugh Laughing at the 'king of the world' remark "Don't be so sure, Nate. Right now it wouldn't suprise me, hell a flying, polka dancing pig wouldn't suprise me..." ::wacko ::tongue

Mike smiles, a look of complete understanding and compassion fills his handsome face.  "Nothing important.  You seem preoccupied, maybe I can help?  I understand how you must feel.  People think that you erupt, and suddenly the world is perfect, but we know better.  I know when I first erupted, I thought it was the worst thing that could have happened to me.  I had a great football scholarship, and everyone said I would be a first round draft pick for sure.  My life was set, then the eruption.  Of course I couldn't play football anymore, and without the scholarship my parents couldn't afford my tuition.  Then I met Mr. Masters.  He took me in, showed me how to use my powers to help people, make me feel like I was really contributing to society."

Mike pauses for a moment, staring into Carla's eyes, looking for a reaction, "I'd like to help you too.  I'm not saying you need to come to work for Masters, though I could probably help that happen if you'd like, but maybe I can help.  I'd like to say that I'm just an altruist trying to help people, but that first day we met, I, felt something.  You are so beautiful, and I have to admit I do have a bit of a personal agenda..."  He smiles and slides his hand across the table and gently places it on top of hers...

She pulls her hand away; not a violent tug, more of a nervous slide. She blushes at his compliment ::blush as her mind races - how to continue this charade? Perhaps mixing a little bit of the truth in would make it easier - then she wouldn't have to lie so much...

That's an inspiring story - they could even make it into a movie-of-the-week. But my story...well, let's just say it's not as Hallmark Channel-friendly. ::wink

Carla leans forward and takes his hands in both of hers, her large brown eyes locking with his own.

When said I was a photographer, that was only half the truth - I have another source of income, one far more lucrative but far less noble. Mike...I'm a professional thief, and a damn good one - so good, I've never been caught. Have the boys at MI look at my record, and they won't find anything, not even a parking ticket because I don't own a car. But I've seen the way this story ends, and it usually doesn't include running through the surf hand-in-hand with a handsome ex-football player - it usually ends with a pretty girl lying face first in a pool of her own blood behind a laundromat.

She wraps her arms around herself, suddenly filled with a deathly chill - if she's not careful, that could actually be how it all goes down ::unsure

My motives are rather selfish, I'll admit - I want to live a long happy life. I don't want to live in fear anymore, Mike...I want to be free.

Carla actually laughs at her own melodrama as she wipes small tears from her eyes.

See, different movie than yours - maybe we can get Scorsese to direct ::laugh ::blush ::extrasad

She pulls her hand away; not a violent tug, more of a nervous slide. She blushes at his compliment  as her mind races - how to continue this charade? Perhaps mixing a little bit of the truth in would make it easier - then she wouldn't have to lie so much...

That's an inspiring story - they could even make it into a movie-of-the-week. But my story...well, let's just say it's not as Hallmark Channel-friendly.

Carla leans forward and takes his hands in both of hers, her large brown eyes locking with his own.

When said I was a photographer, that was only half the truth - I have another source of income, one far more lucrative but far less noble. Mike...I'm a professional thief, and a damn good one - so good, I've never been caught. Have the boys at MI look at my record, and they won't find anything, not even a parking ticket because I don't own a car. But I've seen the way this story ends, and it usually doesn't include running through the surf hand-in-hand with a handsome ex-football player - it usually ends with a pretty girl lying face first in a pool of her own blood behind a laundromat.

She wraps her arms around herself, suddenly filled with a deathly chill - if she's not careful, that could actually be how it all goes down

Mike, just stares at her for a moment, not a look of judgement or pity, more of understanding. "Hey, we've all made our share of mistakes in the past, but we shouldn't let them dictate our future. You can break out of that cycle, and I can help you if you let me. You obviously have talents that could be used in a great many lines of work, some even legitimate ::wink "

My motives are rather selfish, I'll admit - I want to live a long happy life. I don't want to live in fear anymore, Mike...I want to be free.

Carla actually laughs at her own melodrama as she wipes small tears from her eyes.

Mike gets up from his chair across the table from Carla and takes a seat next to her. He takes her hand and gently wipes away her tears with his thumb. "I'm being honest. I'd really like to help you, any way I can..."

See, different movie than yours - maybe we can get Scorsese to direct

Mike pulls her hand up to his mouth and gently kisses it, "There's no reason you couldn't be in my movie too..."

Psyche smiles as John completes his transformation,

"Still got an attitude there, haven't you mister?"

Still, she doesn't appear mad at him or anything, & answers his question,

"Several reasons, really. The damage you can do out here is minimal - we can let you cut loose without fear of any more innocents getting in the way. The environment is somewhat opposed to your power manifestations - it's hot & there's a pretty low moisture content in the air - whatever you do, you'll have to push that little bit harder to do it. I'll be able to assess if you have any potential in regards to Utopia's terraforming projects - bringing ice to the desert could be a help after all. But most important of all... I kinda' like it out here."

John shrugs.

"Yeah, it's real pleasant. Especially now that I'm out of that ridiculous body."

The tattooed telepath smiles again, then walks slowly around Glacier - taking him in from all angles. Stopping once she's again facing him she puts her thumb & forefinger to her chin in a gesture of contemplation,

"So - this is your basic 'Nova' form? An undisciplined cryo-kinetic field held in a simple subconsciously induced shape. It's impressive, of course - you're pretty powerful, even by Nova standards - but very raw. I'm thinking that - as well as an inability to control your own emotional surges in this form - you also lack much in the way of actual control over your powers."

Glacier tries to supress the urge to fire off a comeback, and simply enjoys the attention.

Placing her hands on her hips, Psyche looks Glacier in the eyes & says,

"Now - show me what you can do. Show me the extent of your powers - which aspects you can control. I've seen what your powers can make you do, show me what you can make your powers do."

Glacier blinks.

"Um..."

He shrugs again, and begins to concentrate on the intensity of his undisciplined cryo-kinetic field. The cold air becomes firm, almost solid, and the image of the bear turns to an opaque white. Hissing black quantum claws protrude from Glacier's ursine paws, each as large as the telepath's head. His usual battle form completed, the ice nova tries hard to force his anima to plumb the depths of temperature..

OOC: Activating Force Field and Claws, then maxing Immolate with three quantum. Two successes to the Aggravated Damage extra if possible, otherwise they go to a damage bonus.

John listens quietly as Jan speaks. Before he can respond, she's already moved close...

Stepping over to her host Jan slips her arms around his neck & kisses him softly on the lips - John's senses are overwhelmed as the rest of the universe slips away, leaving only that one, perfect, moment. After a few, eternal, moments she breaks the embrace & steps away,

"I really like you John," she says - & the look in her eyes, the depth of her breathing, all seem to confirm what she's saying, "but I just don't think we're quite there yet. You're one of the most focused people I've ever met - if anyone can resist my charms, I'm sure it'll be you. But for now, I don't want to taint what we could have together by taking advantage of you. I'm sorry, John - I know it's selfish of me to want this, but... well, I hope you can understand.."

His every nerve still remembering her lips pressed against him, John nearly shudders with emotion. His voice is raw when he finally speaks. "I understand."

Intense blue eyes manage to meet hers squarely, glistening. "I'll sleep in the guestroom tonight. You can take my room; please, don't argue." He waves away any possible protest.

Jaw firming, he continues. "I'll be here, Jan. Whenever you're ready. You're more than worth waiting for."

With almost no noise at all, he glides past her, and out of the kitchen towards the guestroom. Stopping just inside the darkened doorway, his features concealed by shadow, he turns his head slightly, and with a barely audible whisper, says,

"I love you."

Then he's gone, disappeared into the room, the door closing silently behind him.

His every nerve still remembering her lips pressed against him, John nearly shudders with emotion. His voice is raw when he finally speaks. "I understand."

Intense blue eyes manage to meet hers squarely, glistening. "I'll sleep in the guestroom tonight. You can take my room; please, don't argue." He waves away any possible protest.

Jaw firming, he continues. "I'll be here, Jan. Whenever you're ready. You're more than worth waiting for."

With almost no noise at all, he glides past her, and out of the kitchen towards the guestroom. Stopping just inside the darkened doorway, his features concealed by shadow, he turns his head slightly, and with a barely audible whisper, says,

"I love you."

Then he's gone, disappeared into the room, the door closing silently behind him.

Some time before the wanking starts... ::wink

John's phone rings.

Dr Chen shugs seemingly without a second thought as she replies,

"Not a lot though - I don't find ignorance to be bliss myself. In any case, Natalia's inherited condition isn't 'Novahood' but something else..."

The beautious lady scientist trails off, blinking twice - as if she'd suddenly realised that she was saying too much, then appears to compose herself before continuing,

"... but I'm sure that Mr Masters will fill in more details for you. We're all to meet with him later, & I know he has some important... revelations... to impart."

Derek looks somewhat taken aback.

"Meet with him later? Later tonight?

"......"

"I'm *fairly* sure I wasn't told?"

"You're absolutely, 100% right, it should be their job but they're not exactly doing it too well. How can they? They have PR to worry about, making sure the world likes us novas. Who does this leave? The U.N? The government? The death toll would be massive and there's no way the toll isn't going to have innocents, both nova and non-nova making up the numbers".
::huh
"This has to be handled privately, and by people 'like us'. That they've gone after people we both care about just makes those 'like us', Us, because I dont' know about you but I can't be sure someone else is giving it their all when I will be. Goddamn, I sounded just like my old coach".  ::rolleyes

"Er... except he probably would have said 'you can't be sure someone else is giving it their all when you won't'." ::wink

Walking in silence a few steps, he then adds

"But I don't agree with you. Team Tomorrow has no business at all making sure the world likes 'us novas'. They've got their own image to worry about, sure, but there is a whole bunch of 'us' out there that don't deserve to be even tolerated, let alone liked. That 'us' and 'them' talk is going to get us all in big trouble some day. A psychopath terrorist should be brought down, no matter if he can throw cars or not."

"On the other hand, if we start it... what is the government going to do? Can they really go after Masters? And if they can't, they'd have to side with him, wouldn't they? At least, they can't just stand by and let the world see them not picking a side."

"No, Nat was in their earlier, I didn't want to bother her" Will sighs.

"You wanna pop down there again? Test exactly how nova-friendly it is? I hear it's built pretty solid, since weights aren't exactly the best way to work out for either of us..."

"If Nat's still there... well. She can't pull away from people for ever, can she?"

"I know what you mean, but I think it has to be done".  ::laugh Laughing at the 'king of the world' remark "Don't be so sure, Nate. Right now it wouldn't suprise me, hell a flying, polka dancing pig wouldn't suprise me..."  ::wacko  ::tongue 

A wide grin spreads across Nathan's face as he shakes off some of his thoughtfulness.

"I know one thing that would surprise me though. You beating me in a sparring match..." ::ultracool

"On the other hand, if we start it... what is the government going to do? Can they really go after Masters? And if they can't, they'd have to side with him, wouldn't they? At least, they can't just stand by and let the world see them not picking a side."

Shrugging, Will replies "I don't know, maybe they'll sweep it under the rug, maybe".

"You wanna pop down there again?

"If Nat's still there... well. She can't pull away from people for ever, can she?"

"You might be right, but it's probably too soon, let's just wait half an hour before heading there, ok?" Will says, hoping Nate won't push the matter.

A wide grin spreads across Nathan's face as he shakes off some of his thoughtfulness.

"I know one thing that would surprise me though. You beating me in a sparring match..." ::ultracool

Grinning in kind ::wink "Woulda' thought an old bastard like you'd be too scared of breaking a hip" ::raspberry. Excited by the prospect of going a round or two with Nate "Ok, so how about we see to getting replacement phones, then we can head to the gym and duke it out?"

Mike, just stares at her for a moment, not a look of judgment or pity, more of understanding.  "Hey, we've all made our share of mistakes in the past, but we shouldn't let them dictate our future.  You can break out of that cycle, and I can help you if you let me.  You obviously have talents that could be used in a great many lines of work, some even legitimate  ::wink "

Mike gets up from his chair across the table from Carla and takes a seat next to her.  He takes her hand and gently wipes away her tears with his thumb.  "I'm being honest.  I'd really like to help you, any way I can..."

Mike pulls her hand up to his mouth and gently kisses it, "There's no reason you couldn't be in my movie too..."

Carla doesn't know whether to laugh or cry, and does a little bit of both.

The fairy tale ending? Prince Charming slays the big, black dragon, and whisks the princess off her feet? Maybe that can happen... ::smile ::extrasad

She closes her eyes and shakes her head.

*Get a grip, girl! Do you even know what you're doing anymore? For now, just do your job, bide your time, and think very carefully before you make any firm decisions; get all the facts, then decide who's side your on.*

She digs in her purse for some tissues.

I'm sorry to go all hormonal on you - I honestly don't know what I'm doing.

Carla wipes her eyes and blows her nose, then gives Mike a brave smile.

You are amazing, you know - you're everything a girl dreams about. You've got the looks, the smile, and you are very, very sweet; if I wasn't so mean and bitter, I'd probably jump into your arms right now. ::blush ::wink

She has a sip of wine, and peers over the glass, trying her best to be business-like while she's still got the sniffles.

So sell me on Masters - from a purely selfish standpoint, what would working for him get me, other than maybe peace of mind?

Shrugging, Will replies "I don't know, maybe they'll sweep it under the rug, maybe".

"Yeah, right. Like the governement is gonna be able to keep something quiet if Masters doesn't want it." ::rolleyes

"This is going to make some pretty huge waves, Will. No way is it going to happen in silence for long."

"Woulda' thought an old bastard like you'd be too scared of breaking a hip" ::raspberry. Excited by the prospect of going a round or two with Nate "Ok, so how about we see to getting replacement phones, then we can head to the gym and duke it out?"

"You read my mind."

With that Nathan leads the way to security and the clerk who usually helps him get a new phone when he needs it - which in periods has been at least a few times a week... ::blush After the usual reprimand about taking better care of MI equipment, he sends a text message to Emma saying he'll meet her a bit later, then heads for the gym.

Dropping his jacket and shades on a chair he summersaults into what passes for a ring, rolls his shoulders and grins at Will. His eyes shine with a pale yellow light, and as he speaks, his jeans and t-shirt gradually change color and shape until he's barefoot and bare-chested and wearing loose white martial arts style trousers.

"A few rules? No flying, no speedrunning, no plasma bolts and none of those force-fists of yours. Ok? And let's at least start without forcefields, and try not to bring the house down. All in good fun, right?"

"Well, if you're gonna be this kickass champion... Let's see what you've got." ::cool

With that he launches forward in a spectacular - but largely ineffective - flying kick, prepared for his younger friend to sidestep and counter with his superior reflexes. Twisting in midjump to avoid the counterattack he hits the floor and spins back to face his opponent...

Fighting on the ground is something of a 'return to basics' for Nathan, and he's having fun with techniques he hasn't used in a while. He's testing himself and Will, seeing how good they both are to better know their own strengths and weaknesses in a fight. And he needs the workout... At the start he holds back a little - mostly because he's worried about the surroundings - but as soon as adrenaline kicks in the fight picks up the pace.

Pretty soon giving up on trying to match the rich kid for speed, he settles on taking a hit or two and making Will pay for the privilege. Even if they both get in a serious punch or two he doesn't lose his temper, but steps back and waits for the wounds to seal and the cracked ribs to settle before he steps up again. If - at any point - the fight seems to be more than the surroundings can handle, he'll stop it at once, obviously.

Carla doesn't know whether to laugh or cry, and does a little bit of both.

The fairy tale ending? Prince Charming slays the big, black dragon, and whisks the princess off her feet? Maybe that can happen...

She closes her eyes and shakes her head.

*Get a grip, girl! Do you even know what you're doing anymore? For now, just do your job, bide your time, and think very carefully before you make any firm decisions; get all the facts, then decide who's side your on.*

She digs in her purse for some tissues.

I'm sorry to go all hormonal on you - I honestly don't know what I'm doing.

Carla wipes her eyes and blows her nose, then gives Mike a brave smile.

You are amazing, you know - you're everything a girl dreams about. You've got the looks, the smile, and you are very, very sweet; if I wasn't so mean and bitter, I'd probably jump into your arms right now.

Mike looks up into Carla's beautiful eyes and smiles, "Well, thanks for the compliment, but I'm definately not perfect. Like I said, I probably wouldn't be as interested in helping you if you weren't so amazingly beautiful..."

She has a sip of wine, and peers over the glass, trying her best to be business-like while she's still got the sniffles.

So sell me on Masters - from a purely selfish standpoint, what would working for him get me, other than maybe peace of mind?

"Hey don't knock piece of mind..." Mike smiles and takes a sip of his wine. "First, let me be honest. Mr. Masters doesn't know I'm here, I'm not exactly authorized to hire people. I came because I thought I might be able to help you, and get to know you better ::wink , and tell you a little about MI> If you're interested after that, I'll talk to Masters and see what we can do.

First and foremost, Masters' is a family. I know it seems corny, but it's true. MI looks out fo its own, baseline and nova alike, and most of its employers are there for life. It's a stable workplace amidst a world of uncertaintly, and it makes you feel like you're part of something bigger than yourself. Now, you're not gonna get filthy rich like those elites that work over at DeVries, but as you can see, things aren't too miserly at MI..."

Mike pauses for a moment, and again takes Carla's hand, "Look, I know you're not ready to make any decisions right now; trust me, I understand. But just know that no matter what you decide, I'm here for you."

As John steps through he starts falling downwards but soon his stomach churns a bit as gravity shifts and he rises to Terry's level, about 30 ft above a canopy of luscious rain forest. Terry frowns a bit as his response...

"It shouldn't take too long..."

"Are you okay?"

Archived