Aberrant: Quantum Zero - Quantum Zero

ProfPotts

"Good guess. Yes - I'd like your thoughts on your latest encounter with Terry, naturally, but I also wanted to tell you personally that I'd like to meet with you, & the others, all together to discuss something important a little later on."

"Sure, I'm free..." ::wink

"I know I can count on Will, but I have to ask you, Blaze - & try not to take this as an insult - how loyal are you to me? I realise you have... feelings... for your charge, but when the chips are down, will I still be able to count on your support? We're moving into some dangerous waters here: it's no time for regrets or half-measures."

Nate's eyes narrow behind the shades, the glaring light intensifying slightly.

"What's that supposed mean?" ::huh

Sitting up straight in the chair Nate keeps the shades on but still meets the boss's gaze.

"I don't know what you mean about 'feelings'. I like Emma, sure, but when my job is to bodyguard her I don't see how that can hurt... And I can't say I see how my relationship to her is going to come into conflict with my job, either. I mean, that's why you hired me in the first place, isn't it? To look after her?"

"If you're serious about this War on the Teragen plan, that raises the stakes a little, of course. ::rolleyes But I still don't know exactly what you mean with that, and I don't know what part of that plan you picture me in. Pretty hard to have an opinion in circumstances like that, don't you think?" ::confused

"I signed on with MI for the job I have. I'm part of the security team, and I think I've done my job pretty well. I don't see why you would have any reason not to trust my loyalty."

Leaning back in the chair Nate keeps his eyes om the boss, both waiting for an explanation and trying to read his expression.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jan grins as Liz gets into full 'business' swing. Moments later the mega-star's skin fades to a blood-red tone, a pair of small horns protrude from her forehead, & a pointed tail writhes out from behind her. Turning the grin - now with pointed canine teeth - on John she quips,

"Careful darling - don't sign any contracts in blood."

*I know what she could offer me...* ::devil

The DVNTS rep' glances towards Vinnie, then turns back towards her host for the evening,

"Let's, just for the sake of example, say you wanted to hire The Ghost. What could you offer him, & DeVries, that other clients couldn't? Why should he take your job in preference to the other dozen or so serious employment opportunities he has on the books right now?" ::sly

Tearing his eyes away from Janet - momentarily reminded of another horned woman - Vinnie faces John again and smiles. ::sly

"Yeah... What could you offer me? More money than anybody else? Friends in high places? A Hollywood career? First row tickets...?"

"Let's, just for the sake of example, say you wanted to hire The Ghost. What could you offer him, & DeVries, that other clients couldn't? Why should he take your job in preference to the other dozen or so serious employment opportunities he has on the books right now?"
Tearing his eyes away from Janet - momentarily reminded of another horned woman - Vinnie faces John again and smiles. 

"Yeah... What could you offer me? More money than anybody else? Friends in high places? A Hollywood career? First row tickets...?"

Pursing his lips thoughtfully, the handsome actor nods. "I see what you mean now. Well, I suppose there are some other incentives I could offer. Walk-ons to movie or tv show sets, front-row tickets to concerts, that kind of thing. Designer clothing, gourmet meals..." he grins at Ms. Cable, "I'm an excellent cook, an amateur chef you might say. Any Elite that hires on would be welcome to enjoy whatever I whip up."

John pauses for a second, then looks at Vinnie. "Following the example given, is there anything specific you would like that I haven't thought of?" He chuckles. "I'm not too sure about the Hollywood career, but I could call my agent just in case." ::wink

Tappin' a Picture:

The tattooist gets to work - the whole process, even under the skilled hands of the master craftsman, taking hours to complete. The pain from the thousands of tiny pin-prick, ink-filled, wounds that soon cover Link's entire back is considerable - even for a Nova. The fact that the swift pin-marks can even pierce his Nova-hide testifies to how sharp the antique tattoo-needle is...

*ow.. ow.. ow.. Justice is gonna kill me maybe.. ow.. ow.. ow*

... Eventually the old man is satisfied with his work & dismisses his client. Ian wanders back to the reception area of the parlour - shirt still off as even the silken material is enough to aggrivate the tender fresh wounds across his back - only to find his brother & the tattooed girl leaning close across the counter, smiling & whispering in a manner which suggests an obvious mutual flirtation. Both glance up as Ian enters, his brother standing straight (although, Ian notes, his fingers trail only slowly away from where they were touching the tips of the girl's own) & grinning,

"So - got what you wanted, kid?"

"I'll let you know when I actually see it, without swelling. But I'm sure he did a fine job."

He walks around his little brother, giving a low whistle as he examines the large tattoo,

"Wow- you weren't kidding about this, were you?" 

Ian shakes his head, grimacing slightly as the tender flesh moves.

"Friday at nine then?" the girl nods her agreement with a sly smile  , in response to which Andrew winks  & adds, "Cool - I can't wait."

Outside the shop the elder Jacobs boy turns to the younger,

"Man - you must have really wanted whatever info' it is you got outta' that guy... So, spill: what did you discover?"

"Actually, I wanted to make sure we both stayed alive long enough for the information I got to stay useful. As for what I got... there's not just one group using the tattoo parlor with that name. The crimes I was looking at are linked by the tattoo the old man gave, but that seems to be the only way they are related. Also he may be in possesion of a new drug... Oh and don't tell the girl anything on the date, she's loyal to guy who did the inkwork. One sec, I need to make a quick call..."

Link pulls out his phone and dials up Vinnie, leaving a message if he doesn't pick up, "Hey can't really talk here, but it's Ian. The group your looking at and the one the other guy is looking for might be linked only by the ink, nothing else. I'm still doing some footwork."

Psyche frowns at the reclining youth,

"I thought we'd gotten past this very basic stage, John. I thought you weren't going to lie to me any more?"

The T2Mer appears to be quite annoyed...

John looks up earnestly.

"I'm very sorry, I didn't realize you were looking for a substantial answer. I'm.. well, I'm confused at the way you're treating me at the moment, and I'm still.. well, kind of unhappy about my future as you put it. Which, uh, is of course, the way that it will be, since I already gave myself to you."

The teenager's gaze drops briefly to the gorgeous body of his captor as he realizes the unfortunate phrasing of that last remark.

"And, uh, I'm not sure where we are or if this is real or not, and to summarize, I'm a little, uh, out of sorts."

Realizing that he's babbling, John shuts his mouth forcefully and smiles weakly at the beautiful woman, wipes the smile from his face in the same second for fear that it might be construed as lascivious, then recoils in mental horror as he realizes that his telepathic host is probably so appalled at his body's hopelessly ingrained desire for her that a misinterpretation of his facial expressions isn't likely to make a difference and he wonders if there's such a thing as mental babbling or possibly any way to stop it.

Meanwhile, at the security station...

The two armoured Masters International Security guards outside the primary security room recognise Mike straight away & allow him to enter - the doors themselves are a pair of air-lock-style thick metal efforts which slide to one side, one after the other. Whilst the Nova waits for the seond door to close, he's subjected, no doubt, to an extensive battery of tests to confirm he is just who he says he is (& how he appears to be). Inside the security room itself is a mass of computer screens, as well as operatives wearing VR-gogs - a buzzing hive of activity akin to a NASA control room during a launch.

As Mike is ushered in to the security station, he makes a point to take in all of the various screens, stations, gadgets and gizmos to get an idea of how MI watches everyone (being as subtle as possible).

One of the senior officers - jumpsuited like the rest, although older & with greying hair - looks up from where he's examining a screen over the shoulder of one of the security techs in the room, & waves the Nova over. Offering his hand he introduces himself,

"Lieutenant Carson, MI Security."

Mike shakes the offered hand, "Pleasure."

Waisting no time, the Lieutenant gestures towards one of the monitors - one which is a view of a corner of the building's lobby. Seated on the comfortable leather furniture there, sipping fresh coffee, is an attractive woman in a red dress, talking with a female MI employee. As Mike watches, vast amounts of data scroll across the screen, with occassional graphics highlighting one part or another of the woman's body or clothing. Carson looks Mike in the eye,

"Your 'date' I take it? What can you tell us about her? We know that's genuine living eufiber her jacket's made out of &, although the readings are indistinct, she could well be a Nova." He waves to another screen covered in data, "We've got her records, of course - driver's license, stuff like that - but if there's anything else you could tell us, it may be a big help."

"Wow, she is hot isn't she? Umm, why all of the background investigation and questions? Do I have to ask MI now, anytime I want to have dinner with a woman? Well, if you must know, her name is Carla Franklin (assuming that matches the name on the driver's license on the screen, otherwise he'll give that one), and yes she is a nova. That's all I'm willing to tell you for now, because she has expressed interest in maintaining her nova persona secret for the time being. I was going to ask her is she might like to join our little family here. Is that all? I need to go get ready..."

Masters' Penthouse:

"I don't know what you mean about 'feelings'. I like Emma, sure, but when my job is to bodyguard her I don't see how that can hurt... And I can't say I see how my relationship to her is going to come into conflict with my job, either. I mean, that's why you hired me in the first place, isn't it? To look after her?"

Masters nods,

"True - but the question is what you'd do if it came down to your loyalty to me, or your devotion to her. That's a choice which none of us want to ever be necessary, but which circumstances may force upon you, Blaze."

"If you're serious about this War on the Teragen plan, that raises the stakes a little, of course.  But I still don't know exactly what you mean with that, and I don't know what part of that plan you picture me in. Pretty hard to have an opinion in circumstances like that, don't you think?"

Nate's boss fixes him with a cool, calm, stare,

"It's quite simple - I'm going to kill them all. If you're 'in', then that's what you'll be helping with."

"I signed on with MI for the job I have. I'm part of the security team, and I think I've done my job pretty well. I don't see why you would have any reason not to trust my loyalty."

Masters lets out a humourless chuckle,

"Loyalty to a paycheck isn't the same as loyalty to family, Nate. That's what we are here at Masters International - a family. We look out for each other, & Heaven help those who hurt any of us. The Teragen have hurt us & it'll take more than career-related obligation to follow through with our response to that."

Throughout the conversation the old man's emotions are unreadable - or, at least, exactly as readable as he wants them to be... ::sly

Brothers Investigate:

"Actually, I wanted to make sure we both stayed alive long enough for the information I got to stay useful..."

The elder Jacobs boy frowns slightly,

"What? The old guy was likely to kill us both or something? Are you sure it was that dangerous in there?" ::confused

... As for what I got... there's not just one group using the tattoo parlor with that name. The crimes I was looking at are linked by the tattoo the old man gave, but that seems to be the only way they are related...

"What do you mean? I thought the tattoo was a gang or cult symbol or something - isn't that what links your crimes?"

... Also he may be in possesion of a new drug...

Ian's brother looks interested,

"Really? Do I need to call in the DEA on this, bro? What sort of drug?"

... Oh and don't tell the girl anything on the date, she's loyal to guy who did the inkwork...

"Hey - I'm the one with the professional training here, pal - don't lecture me on proper proceedure. You're not so big that I still can't beat the stuffin' out of you..." ::sly

... One sec, I need to make a quick call..."

"Yeah, whatever - but you'll need to eleborate on what you've told me when you're done. There's a coffee place a couple of blocks from here - we'll go there & discuss it."

Derek's Date:

"So, Dr Chen..... What's your opinion of Dr. Zia?"

Famed for her ability to multi-task, Dr Chen doesn't skip a beat as she replies,

"Academically speaking he's a genius. Morally speaking he's a degenerate. Zia has a brilliant mind, but he's also insane. You know what they say about a garden variety scientist being preferable to a mad one? A lot of his theories are untested mania, rather than scientific fact, & his proceedures are often useless & destructive. What he did to Natalia is unforgivable. He also hordes his work, instead of sharing it with the world's scientific populus, where it may actually do some good."

Mirroring Derek's own move, the good doctor pauses to sip her own drink, then asks,

"Why? What do you think of him?" ::sly

Psyche 101:

"I'm very sorry, I didn't realize you were looking for a substantial answer. I'm.. well, I'm confused at the way you're treating me at the moment, and I'm still.. well, kind of unhappy about my future as you put it. Which, uh, is of course, the way that it will be, since I already gave myself to you... And, uh, I'm not sure where we are or if this is real or not, and to summarize, I'm a little, uh, out of sorts."

The tattooed T2Mer smiles, seating herself on the edge of the bed & placing a hand on John's knee,

"That's better, John. You must always be honest with me, always. That's lesson one, & I don't want you to forget it."

Psyche stares into John's eyes for a long moment, then stands again, moving over to the closet & starting to select some clothes as she continues,

"As for your situation - yes this is 'real'. I told your mind to dorm-down, which is why you're de-powered at the moment. Unfortunately it's no long-term solution - even if I were to edit your knowledge of your Novahood from your memories, or place a block in your mind to prevent you from using your powers, your body would still react instinctively to defend itself in certain circumstances & you'd become the 'bear' again." She glances at John to see if he's following what she's saying, "You've read 'The Hulk' I take it? 'Don't make me angry' & all that? Similar thing in your case, John - your eruption caused a chemical imbalance in your brain: you're mind can't control that physical problem, so nothing I do to your mind can 'cure' it."

Selecting a pair of tight-fitting blue jeans & a white silk blouse from the closet Psyche drops them onto the bed next to John, then slips off the towel & proceeds to get dressed as she keeps talking ::blink ::blush ,

"We can still try to make you a productive member of society though. In a moment we'll go downstairs for some breakfast, then I'll take you out into the desert & we'll see what you can do. There are, of course, several Project operatives in the area in case you need to be 'contained' at any point, but let's hope it never comes to that."

Taking a pair of calf-high leather boots from the bottom of the closet the T2Mer sits on the edge of the bed & pulls them on. Standing she strikes a pose - hands on hips - & asks,

"So - how do I look?"

Security Issues:

"Wow, she is hot isn't she?..

Carson rolls his eyes,

"I'm sure she is..." ::rolleyes

... Umm, why all of the background investigation and questions?..

"We're the world's leading private security firm, amongst other things - what did you think we did?"

... Do I have to ask MI now, anytime I want to have dinner with a woman?..

Carson shrugs,

"Up to you - chances are we'll know about it anyway."

... Well, if you must know, her name is Carla Franklin, and yes she is a nova...

"Thankyou."

... That's all I'm willing to tell you for now, because she has expressed interest in maintaining her nova persona secret for the time being...

"Yes - the terrorists who shot up this building a few months back wanted to keep their identities secret as well. Masters International has powerful enemies, Mike - your girlfriend's wishes come secondary to the safety of every man & woman in this building - not to mention their families. We all look out for each other in this company - that's what makes it a better place to work than most - we have to trust each other."

... I was going to ask her is she might like to join our little family here...

"I'm sure Mr Masters will want some say in that, but if that is your intention, then all the background checks are doubly important - wouldn't you say?"

"...Is that all? I need to go get ready..."

"We're trying to help you here, Mike - most guys would want to know if their date was dangerous or not."

Carson shakes his head at the Nova's attitude & waves him away...

Famed for her ability to multi-task, Dr Chen doesn't skip a beat as she replies,

"Academically speaking he's a genius. Morally speaking he's a degenerate. Zia has a brilliant mind, but he's also insane. You know what they say about a garden variety scientist being preferable to a mad one? A lot of his theories are untested mania, rather than scientific fact, & his proceedures are often useless & destructive. What he did to Natalia is unforgivable. He also hordes his work, instead of sharing it with the world's scientific populus, where it may actually do some good."

Mirroring Derek's own move, the good doctor pauses to sip her own drink, then asks,

"Why? What do you think of him?"

Derek frowns slightly, recalling his introduction....

"I don't know a lot about him, to be honest. When I met him, he seemed.... intelligent, yet incredibly stupid at the same time. Treating humans, Natalia specifically, as he would treat a cell culture. The damage done to the subject was irrelevant, only the knowledge gained was important...."

"He's made some wild claims too. Of course, he has presented neither evidence nor proof of them."

Derek pauses a moment, forcing himself to ignore Chen's presence and look her in the eye:

"He says that Natalia has had the potential for being a Nova blocked. That she is a latent Nova, but will never be one, due to an artifical chemical block...."

The tattooed T2Mer smiles, seating herself on the edge of the bed & placing a hand on John's knee,

"That's better, John. You must always be honest with me, always. That's lesson one, & I don't want you to forget it."

The long-haired teenager meets Psyche's gaze seriously, wordlessly accepting the command.

"As for your situation - yes this is 'real'. I told your mind to dorm-down, which is why you're de-powered at the moment. Unfortunately it's no long-term solution - even if I were to edit your knowledge of your Novahood from your memories, or place a block in your mind to prevent you from using your powers, your body would still react instinctively to defend itself in certain circumstances & you'd become the 'bear' again." She glances at John to see if he's following what she's saying, "You've read 'The Hulk' I take it? 'Don't make me angry' & all that? Similar thing in your case, John - your eruption caused a chemical imbalance in your brain: you're mind can't control that physical problem, so nothing I do to your mind can 'cure' it."

John smiles.

"You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

His expression becomes serious again as he considers how to phrase his next comment.

"I'd better say, then that it would be dishonest of me to pretend to agree with you that John without Glacier is not a viable person. But of course I'm in no position to uh."

Selecting a pair of tight-fitting blue jeans & a white silk blouse from the closet Psyche drops them onto the bed next to John, then slips off the towel & proceeds to get dressed as she keeps talking ::blink ::blush,

John's jaw drops and he is completely unable to hide his immediate reaction to this development, but as soon as his brain recovers from having stalled out, he turns his head away politely.

"We can still try to make you a productive member of society though. In a moment we'll go downstairs for some breakfast, then I'll take you out into the desert & we'll see what you can do. There are, of course, several Project operatives in the area in case you need to be 'contained' at any point, but let's hope it never comes to that.

"Of course it won't."

Taking a pair of calf-high leather boots from the bottom of the closet the T2Mer sits on the edge of the bed & pulls them on. Standing she strikes a pose - hands on hips - & asks,

"So - how do I look?"

John turns around, straightens out his own blue jeans tactfully, clears his throat with a slight cough, and smiles.

"Fantastic", he says truthfully.

"We're trying to help you here, Mike - most guys would want to know if their date was dangerous or not."

Carson shakes his head at the Nova's attitude & waves him away...

Mike rolls his eyes and leaves the security station.

Having seen how dressed up his 'date' is, he heads back to his apartment and after staring at his closet for a few minutes, realizes he has no idea which suit to wear, so just graps one (I'm thinking something like this).

After a quick 'once-over' in the mirror, he throws on his jacket and heads out the lobby.

"Ms. Franklin? You are even more beautiful than I imagined... That costume of yours just doens't do you justice..." he smiles and extends his hand, "Shall we? Our car should be waiting outside..."

"True - but the question is what you'd do if it came down to your loyalty to me, or your devotion to her. That's a choice which none of us want to ever be necessary, but which circumstances may force upon you, Blaze."

Nate seems thoughtful at this comment, but offers no reply.

"It's quite simple - I'm going to kill them all. If you're 'in', then that's what you'll be helping with."

"But... all of them?!?" ::blink

"Look, I've never met a Terat that I've liked, and I don't expect I will any time soon, either. But aren't you even going to give them a chance to... I dunno, surrender or something? Are we talking about tracking down every living terat - on and off the earth - and kill them? 'Excuse me, but are you a Teragen member? BLAM!'"

Nate's voice goes a bit louder, his hands gesticulating as he speaks.

"Or are we talking about the Harvesters in particular? Zia, Eel, Pathfinder, Virus... that crew? To me that's a whole other story..."

"Loyalty to a paycheck isn't the same as loyalty to family, Nate. That's what we are here at Masters International - a family. We look out for each other, & Heaven help those who hurt any of us. The Teragen have hurt us & it'll take more than career-related obligation to follow through with our response to that."

"You know damn well it's not just the money. You don't pay me that much.", Nate replies, sounding a little annoyed. ::dry

*Damn, why is everyone making me out to be some kind of merc today?*

"I don't really know Natalia. But that doesn't mean what they did to her doesn't piss me off. I don't like the idea of killing anyone but that doesn't mean I'm not with you. I guess Will is with you all the way, and he's gonna need someone to watch his back too." ::rolleyes

"But my problem is this: Sure, we can say all Terats are equally guilty since they don't renounce the Harvesters' actions. But similar arguments could be made for millions of humans all over the world and their attitude to all the crap people do to each other, and it sure doesn't make me feel any better about killing them..."

"I guess what I'm saying is payback is one thing, mass murder is another..." ::confused

John pauses for a second, then looks at Vinnie. "Following the example given, is there anything specific you would like that I haven't thought of?" He chuckles. "I'm not too sure about the Hollywood career, but I could call my agent just in case." ::wink

"No, thanks...", Vinnie smiles.

"I'm not much of an actor, and that's not quite the career I have in mind. If I ever moved into Hollywood it would probably be as a producer or something. Besides, I already have an agent."

He looks over at Ms Cable for a second and smiles. Taking a sip of his coffee he seems to think a little, then faces John again.

"What you have to keep in mind as a client is the importance of trust. The worst nightmare for any agent of DeVries is being doublecrossed by the client. Some potential clients approach us with jobs and missions that are... shady, to put it that way. I'm not syaing yours is, but that kind of assignments are the best example. The history is full of examples of hired help being used to do the dirty work and then set up to take the fall. If you convince an operative that you're trustworthy, you'll get more out of it. If you are trustworthy and the grapevine spreads that around, you'll get more out of it next time you hire one of us. Simple as that."

"What you have to keep in mind as a client is the importance of trust. The worst nightmare for any agent of DeVries is being doublecrossed by the client. Some potential clients approach us with jobs and missions that are... shady, to put it that way. I'm not syaing yours is, but that kind of assignments are the best example. The history is full of examples of hired help being used to do the dirty work and then set up to take the fall. If you convince an operative that you're trustworthy, you'll get more out of it. If you are trustworthy and the grapevine spreads that around, you'll get more out of it next time you hire one of us. Simple as that."

John nods soberly. "I completely understand. That trust has to go both ways. I can promise you this: I will never knowingly put you or anyone else I hire in mortal danger without giving you all the information I can beforehand."

Regarding Liz and Vinnie quietly, he lets the oath hang in the air before he breaks the silence with a familiar smile.

"So, Vinnie. What's it like, being an Elite?" He arches an eyebrow curiously.

"So, Vinnie. What's it like, being an Elite?" He arches an eyebrow curiously.

"I could tell you...", Vinnie's face takes on a serious look for a second.

"But then I'd have to kill you." ::devil

He looks John straight in the eye for a moment, before he grins

"Just messin' with you, John...!" ::biggrin

"Well, what do you think? 'Join the army. See the world. Meet interesting people and kill them.'" He shrugs.

"It's a bit like that. At least for the combat missions - and there are still enough wars to go around these days. But it pays well and gets you into expensive restaurants, at least if you have the right agent. ::wink Apart from that, it's bloody hard work. Training, education, PR work, research, base duties... They drive us hard. Liz here may look nice, but she can be a real devil too..."

"Me, I'm a competitive guy. I like the challenges, the troubleshooting. I like winning, and that's the kind of business we're in."

John shrugs. "Nothing wrong with winning. Can't say I can wrap my head around that type of work though. Wars, and killing people for money. I suppose I can see the necessity, but..." The actor shakes his head, not sure what else to say.

Trying to change the topic, John looks at Vinnie and Liz, sharing his glance between them. "One of my requirements is certain attire for the Elite or Elites working with me. I don't suppose that would be a problem?"

John shrugs. "Nothing wrong with winning. Can't say I can wrap my head around that type of work though. Wars, and killing people for money. I suppose I can see the necessity, but..." The actor shakes his head, not sure what else to say.

"I ain't exactly ideal for nova-level combat missions myself... But a lot of governments and companies feel their interests are better taken care of in the hands of a DeVries Elite than a regular army or security force. Go figure..." ::wink

Trying to change the topic, John looks at Vinnie and Liz, sharing his glance between them. "One of my requirements is certain attire for the Elite or Elites working with me. I don't suppose that would be a problem?"

::biggrin

"I guess that depends on who you end up hiring... Some of us are more particular about keeping the mask on than others. But... You mean you're gonna put them in uniform...?" ::huh

"I guess that depends on who you end up hiring... Some of us are more particular about keeping the mask on than others. But... You mean you're gonna put them in uniform...?"

John grins back at him. "Something like that. No tutus or clown suits, though. ::biggrin They may need to wear a costume at some point; identical to the one my current protector wears."

John grins back at him. "Something like that. No tutus or clown suits, though.  ::biggrin They may need to wear a costume at some point; identical to the one my current protector wears."

"Sounds like a good idea. Shows a level of professional subtlety and allows you to change bodyguards without anyone noticing, so long as you don't pick any of the really big guys. And - I don't know if you've thought of this ::halo - of course the added possibility of having agents in several places at once is a good bonus..." ::sly

"The only problem is that you'd have to compensate for the lack of publicity in some way. The PR department tends to frown on plain clothes missions and working out of uniform."

"Sounds like a good idea. Shows a level of professional subtlety and allows you to change bodyguards without anyone noticing, so long as you don't pick any of the really big guys. And - I don't know if you've thought of this  - of course the added possibility of having agents in several places at once is a good bonus..."

John smiles, impressed. "Exactly what I was thinking."

"The only problem is that you'd have to compensate for the lack of publicity in some way. The PR department tends to frown on plain clothes missions and working out of uniform."

"Agreed. What sort of compensation can always be negotiated."

John smiles, impressed. "Exactly what I was thinking."

A thoughtful expression crosses Vinnie's face, and he looks from John to Janet.

"Since we're on the subject of trickery and playing with identities... Just how good are you, Janet? Could you copy John so well I couldn't tell the difference between you?" ::sly

"How about someone you just met?"

"Tell me about it! Guys just don't comprehend the fine line we have to walk between attractive & slutty, professional & bland - it can be a real nightmare. Then, after all that effort, they don't even notice what you're wearing!"

Carla can only sigh and shake her head in sad agreement.

And yet we still play the game! ::rolleyes

Debbies shakes her head & sips her coffee, then smiles & adds,

"Although, between you & me, I think your outfit will be just fine. I don't really know Mike myself, you understand, but he seems like a nice guy. Plus there's that whole Nova-body thing. Me & the girls sometimes head past his office for a 'Diet Coke break', if you know what I mean..." ::wink

Shifting a little closer she adds, in a whisper,

"... They've just installed a new gym for the Novas here as well - I know it's shameless, but I don't think I'll be able to resist the odd peak. Buns of steel indeed!" ::biggrin

It feels very strange to talk about novas with a baseline while dormed down - for a moment, Carla is tempted to reveal herself, but the impulse soon passes, and she merely grins in the shared appreciation of a good-looking guy.

"Ms. Franklin? You are even more beautiful than I imagined... That costume of yours just doens't do you justice..." he smiles and extends his hand, "Shall we? Our car should be waiting outside..."

Carla winces a bit at the mention of the costume, now feeling suddenly very awkward in front of the friendly receptionist; she offers Deb an apologetic side glance before turning back to Mike, who does indeed look very fine this evening. Her discomfort is quickly submerged under a warm tide of giddiness; taking a deep breath, she mutters to herself.

Foamy!

Carla tries in vain to wipe the big ol' smile off her face, but the thing is plastered to the front of her head like the grill off a Buick.

*This is so unfair! I can't hit him with my razzle-dazzle in public, but he gets to zap me with his two thousand watt charm all night long! ::sad But I guess as forms of tortures go, dinner with as drop dead hunk ain't so bad...* ::blush ::biggrin

Wow, you look...fantastic! ::bigsmile I may not be able to eat! ::laugh

She tears her eyes away from the well-chosen PR rep and forces her gaze back to Deb.

It was really nice to meet you, Deb - we'll talk again, I'm sure, and I will find out about the shoes, Scout's honor! Bye!

Wow, you look...fantastic!  I may not be able to eat!

As Carla gets up and starts heading towards the door, Mike catches up to her and places his hands gently on each of her hips, then leans in. Carla is sure that he's about to kiss her neck when she suddenly feels his warm breath on her left ear, "Shh, don't tell anyone, but I have absolutely no fashion sense myself. If it wasn't for my overworked assistant, I'd be just another washed up athlete, wearing jeans and a t-shirt and looking for a job... ::wink " With that, he repositions himself at her left side, his right arm lightly poised at the small of her back, and guides her to the waiting car.

Derek's Date:

"He says that Natalia has had the potential for being a Nova blocked. That she is a latent Nova, but will never be one, due to an artifical chemical block...."

Doctor Chen's own dazzling eyes return Derek's look as he realises that she actually seems to have paused to think for a moment. The moment is brief but, for those with accelerated intelligence, significant. Then, choice obviously made, she replies,

"Like many brilliant men Zia appears to have misunderstood the evidence due to his own arrogant assumptions that his pet theories are correct. Natalia's great-great-grandmother, Mr Masters' own grandmother, was subjected to a medical procedure far ahead of its time by her own husband, Doctor Maxwell. The procedure was designed to adjust certain less-than-desirable hereditary traits her family suffered from &, although not a complete success, worked better than anything else available at the time. Natalia has inherited that genetic adjustment - which is what, I'd imagine, Zia's own research brought to light."

After a brief pause the good Doctor adds,

"Zia's obsession with Nova genetics blinds him to the whole range of possibilities - to him everything has to be to do with Novas: how else can he justify his own work? The gene sequence involved shares traits with that which contributes to eruption - the Zantosa family line was blessed with its gifts as well as its curses - but nothing was done to Natalia herself. Do you really believe Masters to be that much of a monster?"

Glacier's Date:

Smiling at John's compliment, Psyche steps towards the door. Offering her elbow she asks,

"Would you care to escort me, young man?"

Outside of the room John does indeed find that he appears to be in a high-class hotel of some kind. From the Arabic appearance of the staff he passes, & the mode of dress of the guests, he concludes that it's probably located in some Middle Eastern country. Psyche's earlier mention of a 'desert' would also appear to support that hypothesis.

Heading downstairs in one of the hotel's attended elevators John & Psyche arrive on the ground floor & stroll across a marbled foyer, complete with fountain & sculpted columns, & into a restaurant. Glimpses outside reveal bright sunshine & street scenes which remind John of things he's seen on television & film about Egypt or similar places - like something from an Indiana Jones set. The scents which waft his way are full of strong coffee, spices, & desert heat, although the restaurant soon masks them with more familiar breakfast smells - it appears that the place serves American & European style food along with whatever the local cuisine is.

Following his 'mistress' to a table near a window John witnesses a bustling street scene outside - people in exotic (to his eyes) robes & dress mingling with Western fashions, & faces belonging to folks of all races. It crosses the young man's mind as unusual that no-one appears to have recognises his companion - Psyche being one of the most famous people on the planet. A moment after he's thought it, the answer plays across his thoughts in Psyche's caressing tones,

*I'm masking our appearances a little - an easy enough task for me. Media attention is hardly going to help with our goals today, after all.*

An Arabic waiter in a smart white uniform appears to take the couple's orders. Psyche plumps for a stack of pancakes with honey & a local coffee blend, before asking John what he'd like. In his mind the words are added to,

*Eat well, John - I'm planning on working you hard.*

Masters' Place:

"But... all of them?!?.. Look, I've never met a Terat that I've liked, and I don't expect I will any time soon, either. But aren't you even going to give them a chance to... I dunno, surrender or something? Are we talking about tracking down every living terat - on and off the earth - and kill them? 'Excuse me, but are you a Teragen member? BLAM!'... Or are we talking about the Harvesters in particular? Zia, Eel, Pathfinder, Virus... that crew? To me that's a whole other story..."

Masters look deadly serious as he fixes Nate with a steely gaze,

"They claim that the Teragen is a shared philosophy. That's all well & good - I've no desire to be some sort of 'thought police', after all - but problems arise when philosophy is taken beyond the theoretical & put into practice as lifestyle. Nietzsche I have no problems with: Nazism & Satanism I do. Examine what the Teragen preach, then think about what that would mean if put into practice on a global scale. The terrorist actions of several Teragen followers give you a pretty good answer if your imagination can't stretch that far."

Shaking his head the old man sighs,

"Yes - I'm going to kill them all. I'm not going to kill any ex-Teragen supporters though - I'm happy to allow them to change their ways. But anyone who supports their agenda - such as it is - is a clear & present danger to my loved ones, & humanity as a whole. They have to die, & they will."

"You know damn well it's not just the money. You don't pay me that much... I don't really know Natalia. But that doesn't mean what they did to her doesn't piss me off. I don't like the idea of killing anyone but that doesn't mean I'm not with you. I guess Will is with you all the way, and he's gonna need someone to watch his back too." 

Masters nods in silent agreement.

"But my problem is this: Sure, we can say all Terats are equally guilty since they don't renounce the Harvesters' actions. But similar arguments could be made for millions of humans all over the world and their attitude to all the crap people do to each other, and it sure doesn't make me feel any better about killing them... I guess what I'm saying is payback is one thing, mass murder is another..."

Masters nods,

"You're right, of course. Even 'payback' is a little pointless if that's all it is. I aim to make a difference in the world - to protect humanity from those who threaten it. There's no way I'm going to just be a reactive force though - waiting for other innocents to be hurt like Natalia was before doing anything about the monsters who did it. It's the old 'would you kill Hitler before he rose to power' concept. The philosophy can be argued back & forth until the cows come home but, when you get down to it, yeah - I'd rub out the little sh!t without blinking. I guess I'm a practical man at heart. Insane inhuman ideology is one thing, but insane inhuman ideology in the hands of individuals who can do something about it is something that has to be dealth with."

Letting out another heartfelt sigh the old man adds,

"Look - I may sound nuts to you, but me & my family have been protecting the innocent for the last eighty years. I have plans, resources, wheels in motion you couldn't dream of. This isn't the ravings of a grief-maddened grandparent - my threats are never empty ones. The Teragen will die - less people will suffer if you're with us, Blaze - but with or without you it's going to happen."

Fabry's Pad:

"Since we're on the subject of trickery and playing with identities... Just how good are you, Janet? Could you copy John so well I couldn't tell the difference between you?.. How about someone you just met?"

Janet smiles at the Elite,

"Yes on both counts - but I'm not about to turn party tricks to prove it. You'll have to just trust me." ::sly

Mike & Carla's Date:

Deb politely sees the pair off. Outside the MI limo (or, at least, one of the fleet) is waiting. Inside the couple find chilled champagne & chocolate truffles waiting, with a dozen red roses for the lady. As they get settled the car glides into the flow of traffic & the driver's voice comes through the intercom,

"Where to, Sir?"

"Like many brilliant men Zia appears to have misunderstood the evidence due to his own arrogant assumptions that his pet theories are correct. Natalia's great-great-grandmother, Mr Masters' own grandmother, was subjected to a medical procedure far ahead of its time by her own husband, Doctor Maxwell. The procedure was designed to adjust certain less-than-desirable hereditary traits her family suffered from &, although not a complete success, worked better than anything else available at the time. Natalia has inherited that genetic adjustment - which is what, I'd imagine, Zia's own research brought to light."

Derek looks intrigued at the mention of this cutting-edge gene-therapy.

"Zia's obsession with Nova genetics blinds him to the whole range of possibilities - to him everything has to be to do with Novas: how else can he justify his own work? The gene sequence involved shares traits with that which contributes to eruption - the Zantosa family line was blessed with its gifts as well as its curses - but nothing was done to Natalia herself. Do you really believe Masters to be that much of a monster?"

Derek's eyebrow raise slightly at the metion of the gifts/curses, and then frowns at the mild accusation.

"Not at all. I simply have insufficient information from which to draw a conclusion. I don't know enough of Masters to simply deny the possibility that he had done such a thing. And while I suspected Zia's conclusion to be erroneous, I have no evidence either way."

He smiles slightly.

"And as much of a social klutz as I am, I was not about to approach Natalia with a needle.....

"Some people would see this" he gestures at himself "as a genetic deformity. I mean, if you could screen your soon-to-be-born child, and the data indicated that the child would be born with a bias towards a large brain tumour, using gene-therapy to negate that possibility is a rational choice. That the brain tumour would allow you to fly, or solve world hunger, is beyond even modern medicine to determine."

Interface looks into his drink, passively examining it beyond human perception.

"Given the choice for myself, I think I would choose this life again. But there's something to be said for being one of them." Interface gestures are the surrounding baselines.....

"They claim that the Teragen is a shared philosophy. That's all well & good - I've no desire to be some sort of 'thought police', after all - but problems arise when philosophy is taken beyond the theoretical & put into practice as lifestyle. Nietzsche I have no problems with: Nazism & Satanism I do. Examine what the Teragen preach, then think about what that would mean if put into practice on a global scale. The terrorist actions of several Teragen followers give you a pretty good answer if your imagination can't stretch that far."

"Yeah, I know...", Nate agrees.

"Yes - I'm going to kill them all. I'm not going to kill any ex-Teragen supporters though - I'm happy to allow them to change their ways. But anyone who supports their agenda - such as it is - is a clear & present danger to my loved ones, & humanity as a whole. They have to die, & they will."

A small part of Nathan's brain has trouble believing the discussion he's in, but his conscious self stores any possible protests and he carries on in a grave voice.

"That's what I meant. Kinda like Wyatt Earp in Tombstone, you know..? 'Throw down the sash or face me'-kinda thing."

"Look - I may sound nuts to you, but me & my family have been protecting the innocent for the last eighty years. I have plans, resources, wheels in motion you couldn't dream of. This isn't the ravings of a grief-maddened grandparent - my threats are never empty ones. The Teragen will die - less people will suffer if you're with us, Blaze - but with or without you it's going to happen."

Leaning back in his chair with his hands behind his head Nathan takes a few silent seconds to study the ceiling before facing the old man again. There's a brief hint of a smile on his face, but his voice is dead serious as he replies

"I guess I shouldn't be surprised by what you can pull out of the hat anymore..." ::confused

The young nova pushes himself out of the chair and walks over to a window, hands in his pockets.

"I don't think you're nuts. I know you have the resources to do a shitload of damage to those bastards, and they deserve every little bit of it. No argument there - as long as we give them a chance to jump ship. I'm not gonna cry when nutjobs like Eel finally kick the bucket."

Turning to face the window he continues, talking over his shoulder

"I just don't know if I could do it."

He absentmindedly pats his pocket for a pack of cigarettes before he remembers himself and turns back. He looks down at his hands - now glowing faintly - and meets Masters' gaze with a shrug.

"You know... I guess I could be a pretty good killer some day. After all, that's what I'm cut out for, right? I'm pretty tough, getting stronger and faster every damn day, and my hands are lethal weapons... Not many peaceful applications for my powers, is there?"

"And still... I don't know if I have the stomach for it. Sure, I probably would have killed Eel down in the tunnels if she hadn't knocked me out, and I don't have any problems using lethal force in self-defence or defending others. But bringing the war to the enemy... That's another story."

Having walked back to his chair as he spoke, he sits down again and leans forward, elbows on his knees.

"Do you need my answer right here and now, or can I have some time to think? And another thing: If I find I can't do this, do I still have a job?"

As Carla gets up and starts heading towards the door, Mike catches up to her and places his hands gently on each of her hips, then leans in. Carla is sure that he's about to kiss her neck when she suddenly feels his warm breath on her left ear, "Shh, don't tell anyone, but I have absolutely no fashion sense myself. If it wasn't for my overworked assistant, I'd be just another washed up athlete, wearing jeans and a t-shirt and looking for a job... ::wink" With that, he repositions himself at her left side, his right arm lightly poised at the small of her back, and guides her to the waiting car.

Well, you clean up nice, I suppose! ::blush ::biggrin

Having a damn fine looking nova panting on your neck is enough to make any girl go all a-flutter, and Carla is no exception - as Mike steers her towards the waiting limo, she feels like she walking on clouds, but a small part of her desperately clings to her mission.

*If there is any justice in this world, someday I will get the chance to sweep you off of your feet, PR boy ::sly ::devil*

Smiling at John's compliment, Psyche steps towards the door. Offering her elbow she asks,

"Would you care to escort me, young man?"

John gives a devil-may-care grin to match his mood.

"Of course."

He slips his muscular bicep in to link with Psyche's, and deftly matches her stride as they walk out the door.

*I'm masking our appearances a little - an easy enough task for me. Media attention is hardly going to help with our goals today, after all.*

John shrugs. Though, for a de facto baseline, he takes in a surprising degree of detail in his surroundings, he doesn't particularly care about what the other people in the restaurant are doing as long as they're not actively attacking him. Once he looks around and notices the effect, however, he appreciates its usefulness.

An Arabic waiter in a smart white uniform appears to take the couple's orders. Psyche plumps for a stack of pancakes with honey & a local coffee blend, before asking John what he'd like. In his mind the words are added to,

*Eat well, John - I'm planning on working you hard.*

John tries to reply mentally while ordering, but garbles his words. Putting Psyche on hold for a moment, he orders three waffles with whipped cream and strawberries, and milk.

There we go. Anyway, you're planning no such thing - you're going to work Glacier hard. There's a world of difference.

Setting his napkin on his lap, John considers Glacier's capacity for endurance.

I doubt Glacier gets tired. He doesn't need to eat or sleep, after all, and I think I'm more or less immune to pain. Once you've recovered from being almost totally incinerated, pain loses a lot of its novelty. I guess a lot of what makes pain shocking must be the feeling of permanence..

He allows the train of thought to derail as his food arrives, and digs in with an almost child-like zeal and flair.

Deb politely sees the pair off. Outside the MI limo (or, at least, one of the fleet) is waiting. Inside the couple find chilled champagne & chocolate truffles waiting, with a dozen red roses for the lady. As they get settled the car glides into the flow of traffic & the driver's voice comes through the intercom,

"Where to, Sir?"

As the car starts to pull away, Mike hands his lovely companion one of the crystal champagne glasses and begins to pour...

"Where to, Sir?"

"Scalini Fedeli, I believe it's in Chatham..."

As he finishes topping off their glasses, he holds up his glasss and smiles, "I suppose there are worse jobs than this ::cool. I'm extremely happy that you took me up on the invitation, I'm looking very forward to getting to know you better. ::wink Truffle? "

Janet smiles at the Elite,

"Yes on both counts - but I'm not about to turn party tricks to prove it. You'll have to just trust me." ::sly

::biggrin

"Oh, I do. Don't you worry. Now's probably not the best time to go into intimate identity checks anyway..." ::wink

Vinnie gets up and helps himself to another cup of coffee before he returns to his seat next to Ms Cable.

"Seems to me you've got a pretty specific idea about what you want, John. Male, combat-competent, average athletic build, not dependant on obvious or flashy powers...", he counts the listed points off his fingers as he speaks.

"Like I said earlier, I can't take the job. Not at the moment. But I think we can work together and help each other out here. I don't know how involved Janet is in that, but it's not something we need to bore Liz with, anyway. What do you say I come back here tomorrow morning and we can start working and see where that leads us?"

"By then I'm sure Elizabeth has found the perfect man for the job as well, right, Liz?"

"Like I said earlier, I can't take the job. Not at the moment. But I think we can work together and help each other out here. I don't know how involved Janet is in that, but it's not something we need to bore Liz with, anyway. What do you say I come back here tomorrow morning and we can start working and see where that leads us?"

"By then I'm sure Elizabeth has found the perfect man for the job as well, right, Liz?"

John nods graciously, smiling. "Agreed. Tomorrow morning, say around nine?" He glances at Liz, meeting her eyes briefly with an extended smile. "I have every confidence she'll find someone that's more than adequate for the job."

As the car starts to pull away, Mike hands his lovely companion one of the crystal champagne glasses and begins to pour...

Carla blushes a bit despite herself.

Thank you. ::blush

She gestures towards the roses with her free hand.

The flowers are lovely - or did your assistant order those, too? ::wink

"Scalini Fedeli, I believe it's in Chatham..."

I hope you'll like it - so many people look down on Jersey as being the armpit of the universe or something, but it's more than just Springstein and chemical plants ::smile

As he finishes topping off their glasses, he holds up his glass and smiles, "I suppose there are worse jobs than this ::cool. I'm extremely happy that you took me up on the invitation, I'm looking very forward to getting to know you better. ::wink Truffle?"

*Oh dear god, is it possible to die from wanting someone so bad? ::wub Is this the effect I have on guys when I'm powered up, 'cause if it is, I should be in prison. ::sly I could bite through a tennis ball right now!*

Lost in Mike's eyes, Carla mumbles softly:

I could bite through a tennis ball right now.

The elegant beauty then goes white as a sheet ::blink, and then to deepest crimson ::blush

*Holy shit, I just said that out loud! I'm going frickin' insane!*

She tries desperately to recover herself and play it off as a joke.

Yup, I'm that hungry! ::lookaround 'Tennis ball'! Hah! Nope, no truffle for me, thanks, don't want to spoil my appetite. ::bigsmile ::laugh

She then takes her champagne in a swig and motions for a refill, covering her mouth to muffle a very unladylike burp.

Lost in Mike's eyes, Carla mumbles softly:

I could bite through a tennis ball right now.

The elegant beauty then goes white as a sheet , and then to deepest crimson

*Holy shit, I just said that out loud! I'm going frickin' insane!*

She tries desperately to recover herself and play it off as a joke.

Yup, I'm that hungry!  'Tennis ball'! Hah! Nope, no truffle for me, thanks, don't want to spoil my appetite. 

She then takes her champagne in a swig and motions for a refill, covering her mouth to muffle a very unladylike burp.

Mike politely ignores the beautiful nova's loss of internal monologue, and grabs the bottle of champagne. After filling her glass, he graps a trufflle, bites into it then turns to Carla, "So miss Franklin, what is you do when you're not hovering around inferno's?" ::tongue

Mike politely ignores the beautiful nova's loss of internal monologue, and grabs the bottle of champagne. After filling her glass, he graps a trufflle, bites into it then turns to Carla, "So miss Franklin, what is you do when you're not hovering around inferno's?" ::tongue

With something a little more familiar to talk about, Carla seems to relax considerably as she takes a somewhat smaller sip from her glass.

Actually, I'm a professional photographer - mostly fashion, y'know, magazine and catalog work...some runway stuff. I've had some of my own stuff in gallery showings, mostly in Brooklyn, since I can't seem to crack the artistic fortress that is Manhattan ::rolleyes

She works a little tension out of her shoulders, plucks a rose and sniffs it delicately as she sinks back into the seat.

How 'bout you, what did you do before you signed on with Masters?

With something a little more familiar to talk about, Carla seems to relax considerably as she takes a somewhat smaller sip from her glass.

Actually, I'm a professional photographer - mostly fashion, y'know, magazine and catalog work...some runway stuff. I've had some of my own stuff in gallery showings, mostly in Brooklyn, since I can't seem to crack the artistic fortress that is Manhattan

"Interesting... have you found that your new 'gifts' have helped you out at all?"

She works a little tension out of her shoulders, plucks a rose and sniffs it delicately as she sinks back into the seat.

How 'bout you, what did you do before you signed on with Masters?

Mike takes a sip, then smiles, thinking she must be the only one in New York that doesn't know... "Well, I was a quarterback at Texas A&M and erupted right in the middle of a football game. Needless to say, I lost my football scholarship and couldn't afford to stay in school. Mr. Masters must have seen the game or heard about it, since he contacted my family and, after I got out of the Rashoud facility, he offered me a job."

"Interesting... have you found that your new 'gifts' have helped you out at all?"

This topic seems to make Carla a bit uncomfortable; she stiffens and squirms a lot, and finds the rose intensely fascinating.

I dunno, I guess a little bit. I haven't actually....see, I look different, when I 'power up' or whatever. I mean in a lot of ways, I'm dangerous sexy like that, and it's awesome and all, but I'm definitely less....human. That's why I wore the suit, y'know, no...skin exposed. ::unsure

Mike takes a sip, then smiles, thinking she must be the only one in New York that doesn't know... "Well, I was a quarterback at Texas A&M and erupted right in the middle of a football game. Needless to say, I lost my football scholarship and couldn't afford to stay in school. Mr. Masters must have seen the game or heard about it, since he contacted my family and, after I got out of the Rashoud facility, he offered me a job."

Carla nods politely as Mike explains the details of his past, but she never makes eye contact, and it's pretty obvious she's troubled and not paying very close attention.

• 2 weeks later...
"Let's say exactly nine. I wasn't planning on ringing the doorbell, and I'd hate to walk in on anything... private..."

John raises an eyebrow, the corners of his mouth quirking. "Thank you for your respect to my...privacy. Nine o'clock exactly, then."

Well-bred and mannered, John very politely bids his guests good night. Finally closing the door behind Vinnie and Elizabeth, he looks at Jan.

"Well, how do you think that went?"

• 1 month later...

Derek's Date:

"Given the choice for myself, I think I would choose this life again. But there's something to be said for being one of them."

Dr Chen shugs seemingly without a second thought as she replies,

"Not a lot though - I don't find ignorance to be bliss myself. In any case, Natalia's inherited condition isn't 'Novahood' but something else..."

The beautious lady scientist trails off, blinking twice - as if she'd suddenly realised that she was saying too much, then appears to compose herself before continuing,

"... but I'm sure that Mr Masters will fill in more details for you. We're all to meet with him later, & I know he has some important... revelations... to impart."

Talkin' to th' boss man:

"Do you need my answer right here and now, or can I have some time to think? And another thing: If I find I can't do this, do I still have a job?"

Masters smiles,

"I'd never threaten to fire you over something like this, Blaze - it's a choice for the individual to make, not an exercise in arm twisting - that sort of approach doesn't make for a contented & productive team after all." ::wink

"As for time... well, we're all meeting tonight - so try to think quickly, okay?"

Glacier's Date:

There we go. Anyway, you're planning no such thing - you're going to work Glacier hard. There's a world of difference.

Psyche smiles as her thought's caress John's mind,

*I thought that I was the telepathic one, John - it wouldn't do for you to start second-guessing me...*

I doubt Glacier gets tired. He doesn't need to eat or sleep, after all, and I think I'm more or less immune to pain. Once you've recovered from being almost totally incinerated, pain loses a lot of its novelty. I guess a lot of what makes pain shocking must be the feeling of permanence..

A brief look of concern flits across the T2Mer's fine features as her thoughts reply to Glacier's,

*Yes... you've been through a lot... endured a great deal... That may well be part of your 'problem'...* her smile returns, with a wicked glint in her eye, *but I'm sure it's nothing I can't work with...*

... After breakfast John follows Psyche outside, where a rather battered-looking jeep is waiting. A few minutes later & the pair are heading out of the city & into the desert beyond. The T2Mer's driving is undoubtedly skilled, but almost recklessly fast, as she zooms past panicked locals who rush to get out of the way - waving fists at the couple even as they cough & choke in their billowing dust trail. Psyche laughs, seeming to enjoy the wind as it streams through her hair - & unconcerned about the possibility of a high-speed collision...

... About an hour later the city is far out of sight, & Psyche brings the jeep to a halt in what appears to be a random area of open desert. The T2Mer stands on the jeep's seat, stretching her arms wide in the warm desert breeze. Looking about Glacier sees nothing but countless dunes, & the thin sprays of sand the wind skims from their exposed surfaces. Thinking back to Psyche's earlier comments, John realises that he's seen neither hide nor hair of the 'backup' that the telepath promised was on-hand... although, with Project Utopia's resources, that might not mean anything...

Leading John a good distance away from the jeep Psyche turns & casts an eye over his young form. Hands on hips she sighs, then nods in a matter-of-fact manner,

"Okay John - let's see what you can do."

Stranger than life:

"Well, how do you think that went?"

Jan smiles, then shrugs - heading into the kitchen to fix another drink & a bite to eat,

"That depends... as a double date it was nice - kinda' 'normal' if you know what I mean - she was a bit over-awed, but the rest of us seemed to be pretty much on a par... well, as much of a par you can get with me in the room!" The actress strikes a 'cheesecake' pose for a moment, then giggles, "But as a business meeting - well, old man Masters is the man for all that sort of thing, but as far as I could tell it all seemed a little... 'reserved' - if that's the right word. Too many secrets to protect I guess. Still, it all depends on what you wanted out if it... & it still went better than in the comics: there we'd have to have fought each other to a stand-still before anyone decided that we were all on the same side & called for a team-up!"

Spotting John's reaction to her reference Janet shrugs & winks,

"What can I say - my little brother collected them... Until they all went 'Nova' instead of 'classic hero' anyway."

Pausing before taking a bite out of the huge sandwich she's constructed from leftovers in the fridge, a slight frown creases the brow of the Nova actress as she looks at her host,

"Still... those old comics make me think about a lot of stuff, you know? Like - 'would it be an abuse of my powers to sleep with this guy' - that sort of thing."

Again the beautious Nova shrugs, then adds,

"What do you think, John?" before chomping into the sandwich.

Mike & Carla (a new daytime soap...):

Arriving at the restaurant the pair manage to get seated with the minimum of fuss - Mike having to only sign a couple of autographs along the way. As they headed inside the limo driver took a moment to mention that he'd, naturally, be waiting for them, & to remind Mike of which speed-dial button on his MI-issue phone calls the car...

... as the food is ordered & delivered it (of course) turns out to be excellent...

Psyche smiles as her thought's caress John's mind,

*I thought that I was the telepathic one, John - it wouldn't do for you to start second-guessing me...*

John raises an eyebrow, but shrugs. Plainly - especially to the telepath - he has no fear whatsoever of physical exertion, as Glacier or not.

A brief look of concern flits across the T2Mer's fine features as her thoughts reply to Glacier's,

*Yes... you've been through a lot... endured a great deal... That may well be part of your 'problem'...* her smile returns, with a wicked glint in her eye, *but I'm sure it's nothing I can't work with...*

John shrugs again. Feeling sorry for himself has never been his forte, and somehow he doubts that the T2Mer is entirely sympathetic over his experience. Sensing a departure imminent, he starts to eat more quickly.

After Breakfast:

John takes the beautiful nova's maniacal driving in stride, and just enjoys the pleasant weather. He finds himself wishing he could take in the warmth and all the pleasant sensations of the day with his nova senses. Especially Psyche's scent - to his miserable human nose it's barely apparent.

Catching himself in this train of thought, John sighs and wonders if it would be tactful to try to avoid thoughts connected to his attraction to his captor.

Nah - that's a lost cause if I've ever heard one. Besides, she must be used to it. And why am I worrying about making sure my thoughts are all acceptable to the person who's basically raping them?

Leading John a good distance away from the jeep Psyche turns & casts an eye over his young form. Hands on hips she sighs, then nods in a matter-of-fact manner,

"Okay John - let's see what you can do."

John's mind caresses his powers like a hand on a holstered gun, but, remembering Psyche's cryptic comment earlier, does not trigger them. Prepared to draw, his entire form ready in every way to channel more raw power than most people could even imagine, John cocks his eyebrows in an unspoken question, waiting for the telepath's okay to pull the trigger.

Archived