Aberrant: Quantum Zero - Quantum Zero

ProfPotts

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Opening the book Derek sees that it's hand-written in a slightly erratic, but generally flowing script - & also appears to be in a complex code. Either that or it's total gibberish ::wacko .

There are several photo's inside the book - some of people, some of places - all of which look as if they were taken in the twenties or thirties. There are also illustrations, some scientific, some just comical little doodles, & all sorts of other things besides - including more than a few mug-rings staining the pages.

Some of the more immediatly interesting illustrations include: diagrams that appear to be of nerve-cells, diagrams of blood-cells (some with bizarre additions that appear to represent some sort of microscopic organisms), something that looks like an illustraction of the workings of the muscles & bone structure of an animal of some kind or other, & other such things. There are also illustrations of plants, electronic machines of some variety, & various other things. There even appears to be an advert for baby-food... ::confused

One of the photographs is of an extremely attractive woman wearing some type of classical European eveningwear - the faded black & white picture makes her skin appear very pale, & her hair appear stark white - but she does bare a considerable resemblance to young Natalia.

Derek frowns....

"Well..... Good news it's not booby-trapped. Though saying that, there could be a GPS imbedded in the damn thing.

"However, the writings themselves appear to be encrypted to some degree. I'll definitely need some time to decode it."

Grinning:

"So, open up that portal Mr. Taxi-driver, sir!"

The next morning, as Derek and Terry complete their burglary ::ninja, The Stranger wakes John and Will, and over breakfast in his room, lays out their options.

"We can stay here, and try to follow up any miniscule leads relating to Holden's death. I don't have much hope for finding anything more than we've found already. Or, we can head back to the States, hand off all the evidence I've collected to MI, and see what they can find while we wait for results from the others. What do you two think?"

(If they decide to leave, Stranger will make arrangements to return the rental cars and bike, then check out of the hotel. Then he'll ask Will and John if they want to fly back in his plane, or just have Terry pick them up?)

"You don't think you're just being a touch paranoid? Anywho...."

"It doesn't hurt to be cautious. Ever since I saw a robed cultist chant next to a sarcophagus and bring back an old egyptian Goddess, I've become much more superstitious. Go figure..."

"Well..... Good news it's not booby-trapped. Though saying that, there could be a GPS imbedded in the damn thing.

"However, the writings themselves appear to be encrypted to some degree. I'll definitely need some time to decode it."

"You mean you could imbed a tracer in the book? How much time do you need to decode it? Hmm, I'll give you five days. Pathfinder'll probably surprised at the speed we got it anyway. Call the number I gave you in four days, don't forget. Do you have any destinations you'd prefer? Once you're there take a bus or something and move. By the way, here's some money..- Terry takes out a wad of twenty dollar bills from his pocket - It's a thousand dollars. Its not much but it should last you five days, right? I'm sorry, I'm not Masters or Fabry, I can't afford more. Don't use your card to pay for anything. I am being paranoid, but we're going against both Masters and the Teragen at once. If you knew the extent of Masters' network you'd be paranoid too..."

Terry waits for Derek's preferred destination and sends him there (as long as its not Derek's family or something equally traceable.)

Once Derek is gone Terry closes his eyes and basks in the sun for a few seconds. He takes in the fresh air and lets out a long sigh...

"Lets hope we're not doing anything stupid..."

Terry steps through a newly made portal and finds himself once again at the Ibiza Airport.

...Terry's cellphone starts ringing...

Terry grabs his phone

"Yes?"

"We can stay here, and try to follow up any miniscule leads relating to Holden's death. I don't have much hope for finding anything more than we've found already. Or, we can head back to the States, hand off all the evidence I've collected to MI,

"There's nothing we can do if we go back, we'll stay here and look for these leads. You never know we might actually turn something up." He grabs an apple from the fruitbowl and starts munching *Besides, beats the hell out of being treated like crap by Kane*

You mean you could imbed a tracer in the book?

::sarcasm

"Yes...... Easily....."

Hmm, I'll give you five days.

"That's possibly sufficient. I don't really know until I spend some quality time with the book....

"Tell you what. Drop me off about 2-3 blocks from Grand Central Station, New York. I can be anywhere in North America given 6 hours...... That 'lost' enough for ya?"

"There's nothing we can do if we go back, we'll stay here and look for these leads. You never know we might actually turn something up."

John nods. "I agree. There's not really all that much else we can help out with, is there? So unless we hear from the others, let's stay here - Ibiza seems to be where everything is going down."

His mouth still exposed from eating, both can see The Stranger smile. "Good. I was hoping you'd both want to stay. Okay, boys. Let's go for a drive." Finishing breakfast, The Stranger steps into his room and takes a moment to arrange his 'public' appearance. His eufiber outfit rearranges itself into jeans and a baggy sweatshirt that conceals the utility belt, while he replaces his mask with dark sunglasses and a baseball cap worn low. Rejoining John and Will in the other room, he grins. "Ready?" If so, he'll take them out to a waiting Mini Cooper in the parking lot downstairs, then he'll head towards one of the larger outdoor shopping areas in town.

Terry grabs his phone

"Yes?"

On the other end, Nate's slightly stressed voice says "Way to go, guys! I saw the whole thing from the surveillance room, after the alarm went off, that is, and now they're completely freaked out. They threw me out of there as soon as the sh!t hit the fan, and I think one of them is reporting to Kane now. They saw Derek, but the cameras didn't get a clear picture through the warp, so they think maybe he sold out or something. You're in the clear, but I think they're gonna question both me and you later, so we don't have much time. What's the plan now?"

Ibiza:

Driving through Ibiza Town in a mini [stylish ::cool ] the three Novas witness the usual early-morning calm - a mix of very late night party-goers slowly dragging their abused bodies towards sleep, & the (much more sane) locals opening up shops, washing the detritus of human excess off the streets, & getting ready for the day's business dealings. Local papers (available in English & a few other European languages, as well as Spanish) headline with the fight at the airport (there's a very nice picture of Terry levitating the plane on one front cover), & also have follow-up stories on the Holden murder inside (with no new details - although the visit of The Stranger & Co. to the crime scene is mentioned in passing).

Nullifier's Party-Place:

As silently as possible, Nullifier walks down the stairs to the basement, having been gone several minutes.

Entering the room again, Nullifier finds the seat that his prisoner was on is empty, the cuffs & blindfold lying next to it on the floor! ::blink

Suddenly he's overcome by an agonising pain that courses through his entire body - making it almost impossible to concentrate or focus on anything else. From the shadows behind him, through the pain, he hears Beltaine's sweet voice,

"I'm the Mistress of Pleasure & Pain, remember? You didn't think much of the one, so here's the other..." ::devil

Nullifier freezes in place for a moment, his face underneath his eufiber contorted with pain and concentrated effort, before quickly turning around to face his attacker, the sparks falling from his body turning to a light-absorbing black, like tiny black holes, as he does so. At the same time this happens, three spiky tendrils shoot out from his eufiber towards where Beltaine's voice came from, the top one splitting and spreading out at the end to make a blindfold and a gag.

[Regenerating as much as possible and Disrupting the Mental Blast. I get a roll to resist the wound penalties, right? ::lookaround One tendril to cover her eyes and mouth, one to bind her arms, and one her legs.]

Parking at one end of the shopping area, The Stranger gets out of the car, then turns to John and Will. "First, we do some shopping. After we get ourselves dressed in the local fashions, we'll be doing some surveillance and investigation of Mr. Vance. This may include some illegal activity. Any problems with that?"

"First, we do some shopping. After we get ourselves dressed in the local fashions, we'll be doing some surveillance and investigation of Mr. Vance. This may include some illegal activity. Any problems with that?"

Will shrugs "So long as it doesn't invlove mass murder then no problem. Otherwise I don't have too much of a problem, besides I think the local tour guides and an airport owe us one". ::sly

Parking at one end of the shopping area, The Stranger gets out of the car, then turns to John and Will. "First, we do some shopping. After we get ourselves dressed in the local fashions, we'll be doing some surveillance and investigation of Mr. Vance. This may include some illegal activity. Any problems with that?"

John's brow furrows in concern. "The local fashions?", he asks, a little shocked.

OOC: You were definitely just begging for that one, Archer.

Ignoring John's comment, he nods. "Right then. Let's go."

For the next half-hour or so, The Stranger takes the lead in shopping, navigating the shops with ease. He chooses clothes similar to what he's seen the citizens of Ibiza wear(not the clubbers), doing his best to select outfits that will allow them to blend into the background. He does end up with a few items unrelated to clothing however...a beautifully carved, thick walking stick and a few packets of finely ground(and very hot) peppers. He also picks up 2 sets of binoculars for John and Will.

Once all the shopping is done, he addresses his companions. "The quickest way I can think of to get more leads on Holden is to pay a visit to Vance's house while he's not there. I want you two to call Andy, and tell him you want to talk about Holden, tell him it's very important and you can't discuss it over the phone. Ask him to meet you somewhere, preferably somewhere public. A restaurant is fine. While you've got him somewhere else, I'll go to his house and see what I can find. Questions?"

Ignoring John's comment, he nods. "Right then. Let's go."

John sighs melodramatically, eyeing a passing clubber in a leather duster printed with what appears to be a tie dye design.

"So be it. Never let it be said that John Walker placed fashion before necessity."

Jokes notwithstanding, he gets unobtrusive clothing when the time comes..

When the Stranger is buying hiking stuff, John demonstrates a considerable knowledge of the passtime, pointing him in the direction of both higher-quality sets of binoculars and a walking stick made of a sturdier wood. He does his best to supress a condescending air while doing so.

"The quickest way I can think of to get more leads on Holden is to pay a visit to Vance's house while he's not there. I want you two to call Andy, and tell him you want to talk about Holden, tell him it's very important and you can't discuss it over the phone. Ask him to meet you somewhere, preferably somewhere public. A restaurant is fine. While you've got him somewhere else, I'll go to his house and see what I can find. Questions?"

"Yeah.. what are we supposed to talk to him about that's 'very important'?"

Nullifier's Place:

... three spiky tendrils shoot out from his eufiber towards where Beltaine's voice came from...

Nullifier burns his energies trying to heal his body, but it has no effect on the pain he still feels burning through him. He tries to focus enough to disrupt Belatine's powers, & simultaneously grab, blind & gag her, but he'd be hard pressed to achieve such a complex feat at the best of times - which (since he can't see his target & is in incredible agony) this is far from...

... eventually the black-clad Nova feels the pain fading, then it ends. It felt like a lifetime of agony, but he soon realises it must have been less than a minute. Regaining his composure, Nullifier manages a quick check of the room - Beltaine is no-where to be found. Heading upstairs he finds the front-door wide open...

Ibiza:

Will's 'phone starts to ring. [Presuming he answers it] He hears Kane's voice,

"We have sent a new recruit to help your investigation. His name is Michael Davison. Please meet him at the airport. His plane should be touching down any minute now."

"Tell you what. Drop me off about 2-3 blocks from Grand Central Station, New York. I can be anywhere in North America given 6 hours...... That 'lost' enough for ya?"

Terry nods

"Great, keep your head down, avoid the media and whatever you do don't get caught. - A portal opens showing the top of a building and Terry lies his hand on Derek's shoulder - Its out of view and a short walk away from the station, Good Luck. - Once Derek steps through Terry quips - Oh, by the way, you're in Chicago..." ::halo

On the other end, Nate's slightly stressed voice says "Way to go, guys! I saw the whole thing from the surveillance room, after the alarm went off, that is, and now they're completely freaked out. They threw me out of there as soon as the sh!t hit the fan, and I think one of them is reporting to Kane now. They saw Derek, but the cameras didn't get a clear picture through the warp, so they think maybe he sold out or something. You're in the clear, but I think they're gonna question both me and you later, so we don't have much time. What's the plan now?"

"Right...I'm trying to meet up with Pathfinder in Ibiza right now as planned. So if anyone asks you can tell them that. I have no idea where Derek is. The plan as far as you're concerned is to keep Emma safe. Try to think up of a plausible reason for being in the security room at that time and stay out of trouble. If they figure out my part in this, tell Emma and Masters I'm sorry..."

Terry walks through the airport answering the police's questions and saying he's there to check on the repair situation. Once out he heads towards the Amp Room.

"Right...I'm trying to meet up with Pathfinder in Ibiza right now as planned. So if anyone asks you can tell them that. I have no idea where Derek is."

"So you're doing the switch now? Great! Good luck, guys... Wait a minute... He's not going with you?"

"The plan as far as you're concerned is to keep Emma safe. Try to think up of a plausible reason for being in the security room at that time and stay out of trouble. If they figure out my part in this, tell Emma and Masters I'm sorry..."

"No problem.", Nate replies. "I'm taking courses in electronic security and security procedures." ::wink

Ibiza:

Will's 'phone starts to ring. [Presuming he answers it] He hears Kane's voice,

"We have sent a new recruit to help your investigation. His name is Michael Davison. Please meet him at the airport. His plane should be touching down any minute now."

Before answering the phone, Will nudges The Stranger and motions at John "What he said".

"Hello? Kane... John, Stranger and I are here... yep... Ok I'll take a cab and pick him up now, which gate? ...aha... Do we have a description, or does he know us? ... yep, that's easy... Anything else?..."

Once Will hangs up the phone (OOC: unless Kane tells him something 'interesting') "I have to pick up someone called Michael Davison from the airport, that name ring a bell? Anyway he's supposed to be helping us on this investigation, so do we all go pick him up or just me?"

Heading upstairs he finds the front-door wide open...

Looking out at the forest covered Adirondak mountains surrounding the remote property as far as the eye can see, he shrugs slightly, then concentrates. Several seconds later (assuming this works) a warp in space appears, and Nullifier steps through to a darkened alleyway, his eufiber rippling and changing as he does so...

"I have to pick up someone called Michael Davison from the airport, that name ring a bell? Anyway he's supposed to be helping us on this investigation, so do we all go pick him up or just me?"

Irritation at Kane leaks through into Stranger's voice. "We all go." He opens the driver door, and slides into the seat, starting the engine. As soon as the other two are in, he puts the car into gear. Taking a moment to orient himself, he starts driving towards the airport.

His eyes fixed on the road ahead, he starts talking again. "To answer your earlier question, the 'very important' subject will be a close approximation of the truth. Just tell him that you came looking for Holden because she was supposed to have some information about a friend of yours that was kidnapped; the kidnappers themselves referred you to Holden. If he asks for any specifics beyond that, tell him you don't know anything else, you were just supposed to talk to Holden for more information. But now she's dead, you don't know what to do, etc."

Flicking his eyes to the rearview mirror, he glances at Will. "Did Kane give you any more information on this Michael Davison? Nova, baseline, MI employee?"

"Nate, it's Will. What do you know about this Michael Davison guy Kane's sending us?"

"The invisible quarterback? ::biggrin Don't know all that much really, recently erupted nova, hired by MI for PR work mostly... But Kane's pulling in almost anyone he can on this thing. Well, without making too much waves, that is. Dunno how much he knows about this situation, though."

"Um... You alright over there? I can hear your teeth grinding from here"

"Yeah, I'm fine... Just worried about this whole thing. You know, the book and everything. Didn't sleep much last night, and unlike you I like to get some sleep now and then. Spent it in good company, though..."

"Nathan says Davison's a smoothtalking Nova from texas and he was hired by MI primarily as a PR rep. He doesn't know anything else about him I'm afraid".

"Thank you." Unwilling to say any more,The Stranger keeps driving, staying silent the rest of the way to the airport.

A sleek Masters International private jet taxies to a halt on one of the less-damaged runways of Ibiza airport. The V.I.P. passenger is soon through customs, & looking for this "Will" guy he's meant to meet - he's also a little suprised that the crowds of local press don't seem interested in him: oh well, maybe they're not fans of 'football' (at least, not of the American variety ::wink )...

... The Mini with the three Nova 'tourists' pulls up outside the airport.

Michael makes his way through customs then heads out to find his contact 'Will'. Will and his entourage see a man in his early 20's approaching them. He stands about 6 feet tall, and seems to have an athletic, somewhat muscular build. He's wearing dark khaki slacks and a light golf shirt. His brown hair is cut in a short almost military style and he's wearing some of the latest and most fashionable sports style sunglasses (ie. Oakleys or the like). He seems to quickly scan the airport lobby, and then head towards Will and extends his hand;

"Hey, you must be Will. I'm Michael, damn good to meet ya. So, I was told to fly out here and see if I could help y'all (he nods to everyone else). So, what seems to be the problem?"

Archived