Trinity Universe: Unexplored Horizons THE GAME

Dr. Arbitrary

Dear < name >,

Atlantis technologies would like to thank you for accepting our job offer for the position of < insert job >. Because we offer no benefits the salary has been adjusted upward to compensate. Your total compensation for this job comes to < insert salary >

Orientation is on < date? >

Sincerely,

INTERNAL MEMO

FROM: Samuel Franklin, Vice president of special projects.

TO: Jack Milliper, Head of recrutment

RE: HE DELETED ALL THE FILES!!!

I need people for this project, I understand that there were a number of hand written applications sent. I want you to use those, even though they probably aren't what we are looking for.

Sincerely,

Sam

INTERNAL MEMO

TO: Samuel Franklin, Vice president of special projects.

SUBJECT: A few reccomendations.

I've looked over a few of the handwritten applications. Most of them are too experienced to be useful. I've found a few who know enough to do the job, but not too much that they will notice any of the 'inconsistencies.'

I have found excelent candidates for Pilot, Security and Maintanance.

The Pilot and Security personel are psions but they seem like they won't cause much trouble, most of their known abilities are for job purposes only.

The Maintanance person we found was gold, He doesn't seem that smart, but his tests show great aptitude in repairs. I think that we may want to consider him for future employment on our more sensitive projects.  His previous employers in Nippon seemed a little too eager in reccomending him for this position.

I'm halfway done with the applications, I expect to be done within the week.

Sincerely,

Jack

"Welcome to orientation everyone. As you must already know from our company history portfolio disk that you all recieved, and I am sure you have all read, Atlantis is an exciting place full of opportunities. Before you are assigned to more individually tailored tours relating to your position in our company I would like to talk about our company values. Blah Blah blah blah..."

Everyone in the room had the same reaction to the speaker at the orientation. "Sure, Every single one of us read the 2,000 page document describing the thousands of boring marketing decisions that Atlantis has made over the years. OOH and I can't wait to hear about the 'company values'... Kill me now, I can't stand this man!"

As the man droned on, everyone's eyes glazed over and waited through the  (seemingly on purpose) overly long and boring presentation about Atlantis Technologies.

Hours later, the presentation was over. The crew of the Qingu, the ship for the survey mission, had an hour to wait before the presentation for them would be ready. Three people sat in the room...

"Well...that was fun."

The asian man is leaning on a table. At first his eyes seem a little bit off until you realise that they definitely aren't real. The retina is silver instead of the normal black...asia sure seems unwilling to forget the old myopia cures in favor of the rexes...

"Hopefully the next presentation will be a little more lively...."

The man bows his head and continues in a slightly accented, yet fluent, mandarin

"My name is Shibaguchi Takera." He butts lightly a toolbox on the floor with his boot. "Hopefully I'll be able to keep this ship of ours purring softly during the trip. I think they've just hired me as Chief of Maintenance..."

\"Hopefully the next presentation will be a little more lively....\"

Wanna make a bet out of that, mate? The accent is definitely Australian, and fits well with the rough features of the blonde, blueeyed man.

If it's fun and games you're after, I think you signed up for the wrong trip. ;) Hopefully you won't even have a lot of work to do. At least if it's up to me that is... Edge Munroe here. I'm the 'Senior Pilot'. Heh, makes me sound 20 years older than I am, but I guess I'll get used to that...

Edge is in his late twenties, and was one of the first to grow restless during the presentation. He doesn't really seem like the kind of guy to sign on for a boring, peaceful trip.

Good evening, everyone, a light southern accent chimes in. The speaker is simply dressed in white, with a long katana hanging at his side. On his other side sits what appears to be a screamer.  The man wears a polite smile, and although he is perfectly normal at first glance, his eye-teeth are a few millimeters longer than normal, and the whites of his eyes are actually closer to beige..

My name is Logan King; I'm the new Chief of Security. I'm looking forward to a very interesting trip indeed..

So I'm gonna be the only one to actually work around here? Ain't that just my luck... :D

After a short moment of thoughtfulness he adds: But you never know... Space is an awfully big place, and anything can happen. Personally, I'm looking forward to flying the Qingu, cause from what I understand she's got more than a few extra tricks up her sleeve. But I guess we'll hear more about that later.

Turning to the Chief of Security... So, Mr King... What kind of security are we talking about here? Physical security and first aid...? Or is Atlantis worried about spies? Would be nice to know if I should be worried if you start checking me out... ::smokin

A man in a suit walks in.

"couldn't help but overhear your conversation. Mr. King's responsibilities are to ensure that the survey probes are not comprimised by corporate sabateurs from other corporations. He will also help settle disputes and other such matters.

While I'm at it, let me biref you all, Mr. Monroe, you will be making sure our ship stays on course in case of failure of our computer systems. We also expect you to give good press, your popularity in Australia is one of the biggest reasons we chose you for the job.

Mr. Takera, You'll be making sure that Mr. Monroe doesn't have to fly the ship. You're in charge of maintaining flight systems. we build our ships well, it should be a very boring trip.

Any other questions?

Oh, I can't believe I forgot, My name is Jack Milliper, I work for Atlantis. I suppose you're waiting for orientation, but it's pretty much over as I've already told you your main responsibilites. You'll each get more information on specific duties later.

We will be departing in a months time. We can provide rooms here at Atlantis, or we would be happy to pay part of the cost of a hotel nearby. Try not to get in any fights, you'll be spending a lot more time together in the near future... Oh yes, any Questions?"

Mr milliper responds. "You have access to the library here, The shipboard computer, eddie, is available there. He can help you with any problems you might have. Once you get aboard the ship, we will give you time to learn everything.

Also, if you have any more business here on earth, you should get it done now."

We also expect you to give good press, your popularity in Australia is one of the biggest reasons we chose you for the job.

Yeh? What kind of publicity? We're not gonna have any media types with us, are we? And why do you need good press? Expeditions like this don't normally have that high a profile, do they...?

Caught off guard, Mr. Milliper stumbles with the answer. "you never know when things might you know get attention... Uh, Oh yes I remember, the probes, they are very advanced and if this mission is a success then we will want to use anything at our disposal to promote our company... Uh, that's enough questions for now. If you want a room with us you can head over to the personel office. You all have my phone number so if you need to call me with more questions I'll be able to answer."

Mr Milliper shakes everyone's hand and hurries out the door looking quite embarrased at his poor handling of the situation.

Hmm.. peculiar fellow. Well, I think I'll take advantage of his offer- I still need to arrange for my cat to be taken care of anyway. Mr. Munroe, Mr. Takera, good to meet you both. I look forward to working with you on the ship.

Logan gives a short bow and takes his leave.

Logan walks silently into his room. He puts down the small black tote bag containing all his possesions and pulls out a small computer, which he puts on the table. A quiet chirp heralds his agent, a DataWarp Friday with the visual display turned off.

Good evening, Friday. Please try to find for me any information you can on a technology firm called Atlantis.

He thought for a moment.

Or on a man named Jack Milliper. Have it ready when I wake up.

Without bothering to undress, Logan stretched out on the bed and was asleep in seconds.

• 3 months later...

(note to any new people trying to follow the story, a bunch of the story was unfortunately deleted, here's where we left off, kind of)

[cinematic]

As the beast gets closer to the door to the pod bay the security personnel begin to panic, Logan raises points his katana at the face of the beast from several yards away. He gives a battle cry and the security personnel are filled with spirit again. One screams and opens fire into the beast.

The beast screams a terrible roar and starts running at the door with increasing speed... the bullets dig into the flesh of the beast to no effect. When the beast is but a foot away it stops and screams. The security personel begin to run backwards into the door and are trapped.

The beast does not advance, it instead roars again, this time blood flies from it's mouth at the door. looking at the ground beneath the beast a metal spike extending from the floor is embedded into the beast. Slowly (think T-1000 from terminator 2) spikes form all around the beast from the metal walls. They slowly lengthen and begin piercing the beast all over. The corridor begins to twist and stretch, widening the many holes in the beast. Then, like a living organism, the section of corridor completely envelops the beast. The enveloped beast floats toward the outer bulkheads of the ship which slowly opens, only large enough to allow the beast to pass through and then closes back up without a mark.

The remaning part of the corridor begins to stretch to fill the gaping hole. Within minutes there is no trace that any battle took place at all... that is except for the cook lying on the ground with an extended arm ending with a glowing fist.

[/cinematic]

The beast screams a terrible roar and starts running at the door with increasing speed... the bullets dig into the flesh of the beast to no effect. When the beast is but a foot away it stops and screams. The security personel begin to run backwards into the door and are trapped.

Logan drops his sword. With reflexes perfected since the invention of the pistol, and imparted to Logan King over the course of his entire life, his hands move with lightning speed to the screamer at his side. His lips subconsciously mouth the word \"draw\", a thumb casually flicks the weapon's power to a deadly (and quite illegal) level, and in a fraction of a second the gun is pointed at the beast. He pulls the trigger, and opens fire himself, when suddenly:

The beast does not advance, it instead roars again, this time blood flies from it's mouth at the door. looking at the ground beneath the beast a metal spike extending from the floor is embedded into the beast. Slowly (think T-1000 from terminator 2) spikes form all around the beast from the metal walls. They slowly lengthen and begin piercing the beast all over. The corridor begins to twist and stretch, widening the many holes in the beast. Then, like a living organism, the section of corridor completely envelops the beast. The enveloped beast floats toward the outer bulkheads of the ship which slowly opens, only large enough to allow the beast to pass through and then closes back up without a mark.

The remaning part of the corridor begins to stretch to fill the gaping hole. Within minutes there is no trace that any battle took place at all... that is except for the cook lying on the ground with an extended arm ending with a glowing fist.

Logan stops firing as soon as he sees the first spike, but holds the weapon on the monster until it leaves. He stands, expressionless and unmoving, for a few moments afterwards. His mouth opens to say something, and then closes. He performs this ritual again a few times, then quietly sheathes his weapons. He walks over to the cook and tries to wake him up. There would seem to be little else to do.

"I'm already on my way. Got a pretty good picture of what's going on, too."

Already running through the corridors to reach the bay, Edge speeds up when he gets Takera's message routed to his comm unit. 'Looking' ahead he does his best to get an overview of the situation before he arrives at the scene moments later.

The cook slowly awakens, he slowly brings his hand to his head and makes a deep groan. \"what happened?\" he croaks.

Excellent question.., mutters Logan. He strides to the front of the group and does a quick head count. He counts four security personnel and the cook.

You - go find Mr. Milliper and bring him to me. I want to talk to him. You two, go to the shuttle bay and do whatever Mr. Takera or Mr. Munroe tell you.

He gives the cook a perfunctory glance.

You, carry him to somewhere he can rest. Keep an eye on him. I'm going to check the probes, then I'll go to the shuttle bays as well.

Turning on his own radio, Logan sends his own intercom signal to both Munroe and Takera in order to ask what he feels is a truly excellent question:

What the hell is going on?

Meanwhile....

"Sir, I've detected a significant disruption in the psionic ether."

"Where?"

" Outside the orbit of Jupiter, I think it's abberants"

" give Aeon a ring, they probably already know about this but it's not worth the chance"

"using the usual methods of contact I presume"

"exactly, and keep your eyes open for more disruptions"

• 2 weeks later...

As Edge enters the shuttle bay at a jogging pace, he looks around for Takera.

"There you are. What's the plan? Wanna go pick up that abbie?"

Turning on his own radio, Logan sends his own intercom signal to both Munroe and Takera in order to ask what he feels is a truly excellent question:

What the hell is going on?

Leaving the com voiceactivated to let Logan hear both himself and Takera, Edge says "I was just about to ask you the same question, mate... All I know is we got one dead abbie floating around outside, and one man down. And that the Qingu's got a few tricks up her sleeve that I didn't know about. Did you guys know she could do that?"

While he speaks Edge gets a faraway look in his eyes, as if his mind is somewhere else or he's focusing on something Takera can't see.

Archived