Trinity Universe: The game's afoot!

Heritage

:angry

I can speak for myself!

Brannigan snorts and glowers at all the gentlemen in the room.

I ain't never needed help in a fight before, and I don't need it now.

He stalks over to Berger and plants a meety finger on the gentleman's chest.

Now, if you'd be wanting to put that flapping tongue of yours to the test, we can take this down to the alley and I'll show you what this simminin mind can do."

OOC:  Much thanks with the color switch, Heritage.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OOC - No problem, Ibsen! Actually, I like your use of color for the IC dialog, since it stands out better, so I'm gonna switch.

IC- Bethany rolls her eyes in disgust at all the machismo on display.

Can all of you refrain from clubbing each other to death for five minutes? I believe we're all here to see to this man's well-being, and not to flaunt our vocabularies OR our biceps! Let's all go to the drawing room, have a sip of something warm, and discuss these matters with civil tongues in our heads. Honestly!

She sighs, then turns back to Reuben with a wry smile.

Welcome to the Aeon Society, Mister Reuben - the last civilized place on Earth.

OOC - switch :)

Rueben stares dumfounded at the scene before him, then slowly he starts to laugh.

I must thank you all for the welcome!

forces himself to restrain his laughter for a moment

I _think_ I understand what has hapenned to me, but I really cannot remember how or why I came here specifically......  or how I came to be injured.  In fact everything is a little fuzzy still.........  could any of you shed any light?

I could hypothesise concerning the nature of your condition but I couldn't be certain until tests were done. However to set your mind somewhat at ease, you have been affected by Telluric energy or as they are sometimes known Z-Rays. This energies interaction with your body seems to be able to affect your body's metabolism on a cellular level, either that or you have some kind of localised temporal manipulation skill or... it... could.... be- I'm sorry I erm got carried away. In any case the Telluric energy will not harm you."

Having calmed down from his earlier spastic episode, Dr. Berger now sat with the others in the Society's second floor drawing room, a cup of strong coffee perched in his fingers.

You mentioned before you passed out something about being on your way home from the 'Institute', and that as many as three men attacked you. Does any of that jog your memory?

After scrunching his head up with thought, Johnny Atomo brightened.

You also said you went to a hospital, but they couldn't help you - do you remember which hospital?

OOC - Sorry, I was unavailable for a few days.

Behind the crowd of anxious onlookers stands a man watching with quiet amusement.  He has a healthy mediterreanean tan, Greek, or possibly Italian, and he has his short, black hair slicked back.  He is attired in a fashionable suit, with a glass of wine clasped comfortbly in his hand.

"Excuse me for interrupting, but surely there can be very few hospitals nearby.  Perhaps the gentlemen has some more clues hidden within his pockets.  A hotel receipt or something of the kind..."

He waits patiently for an answer.

OOC - Hello!  Me play too.   :)

Begging your pardon good sirs, lady, but I seem to be intruding on some private matter

All assembled turn to see a moderately handsom Spaniard sitting in the corner of the room; an old book in one hand and brandy snifter in the other.  He is dresed with impeccable style and taste, revealing his wealth without being flashy.  His clothes enhance the appearance of his black hair and well manicured gotee while his vibrant green eyes keenly take in the events unfolding before him.

Leaning against the the dark, wooden end table by the side of the chair is a finly crafted gentlemen's walking cane.

The Spaniard places the book and glass on the table and stands, taking hold of the cane in the proccess.

Forgive my rudeness at not announcing my presence sooner, but you seemed preoccupied with Mr. Rueben's predicament.  Is there any way I may be of assistance?

OOC - Hope no one minds me joining the fun? :)

ooc: My First post on EurOpNet. so i might goof up

There is a knock at the front door that is puntuated buy the baying of a dog.

Bernard hush down now, you know they heard us. Realy do you want to be a bad reflection on the Tidewater chapter house.

The door is opened by one of the servents.

Sir I'm afraid that dogs are not allowed.

Oh, yes. I enderstand compleatly, you can't have some mangy mutt stinking up the place.  Has Mr. Enkino arrived, I have a gift for him.

Not sure sir, but he is hard to miss.

Well I'll just wait in the siiting room for the lecture to begin then.

Borris and the dog head into the house

Sir... Sir.. havent you forgoten something (pointing at the dog) The dog he has to stay in the yard!

Young man you will maintain a civil tone especialy whe you are refering to Bernard, who is no mere canine.  You should apologize.

Sir I'm sorry fro being cross but..

Don't apologized to me bernard apologize to bernard.

Umm... I'm sorry, bernard.

Bernard stands up, turns around and faces the other way.

I don't think he liked your apology you better go fetch a steck from the kitchen to get on his good side.

[code]

A few moments later, the somewhat uncomfortable looking servant returned with a a small but thick steak on a silver dish. He placed the dish down in front of the large dog, and gingerly patted him on the head.

Sir, if you're waiting for the lectures, you may well be waiting a rather long time - there's been an...incident, and most of the speakers have retired to the drawing room upstairs. If you like, I can take you there. And I can send Mr. Enkidu up to meet you.

OOC - Welcome, painheart!

Bethany cast her eyes around the small drawing room, which was seemed to be becoming increasingly crowded.

My, my! We certainly seem to be the focus of a great deal of attention!

She reached into her small clutch and produced a deck of cards.

Since Mr. Reuben appears to have recovered, is anyone up for a friendly game of cards?

Dr. Berger strode over to her and snatched the cards from her.

This is no time to start 'bilking the marks' as you once put it - I have reason to believe that poor Reuben might have run afoul of the Red Scorpion tong. Memory-altering drugs are one of their trademarks.

\"Tong!?\"

:notify

OOC-Was that an IC or OOC question, Monsuir Mal? I'm going to assume it was OOC and that it was of the "what the f--k do you mean by 'tong'?" catagory. Forgive me if my assumptions are incorrect, but anyway others might not know, so I'll just do a brief description to be on the safe side.

Tongs are, in a sense, the precursors of the modern Asian triads; secretive criminal organizations, often based around gambling and the opium trade. As I understand it (and I'm certainly no expert) they often had a somewhat political aspect, and were sometimes associated with specific families.

Again, if this is all common knowledge (or worse, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about and someone did a term paper on the subject), please forgive me. One of the perils of online communication is the loss of nuance: gesture, posture, inflection, the raised eyebrow, etc. It is the greatest bugaboo of online gaming.

PS - I tend to overreact at the very *thought* of miscommunication - as a Unitarian, I bend over backward to avoid interpersonal conflicts, and sometimes just end up looking like a pretzel for no reason.  :Blush

OOC: Aeon, I 've warned you about them hormones...

Heritage, no offence taken, I know what you mean how this typing lark dosen't always come across as you intended. The fault I think lies with me for not making it clearer, it was an in character comment said with shock, inquisitiveness and a hint fear.

And now we return you to your regularly scheduled programming

IC:

"There are Tong operating in this area?"

Bethany snorted.

Our dear Max sees a Chinaman's pigtail poking out under every bed - there may well be criminal activities in Chinatown, but that doesn't mean the tongs are responsible for everyone who bumped his head and forgot who he was.

Berger shot her a withering look.

You may have travelled extensively, Miss Morgan, but you have no understanding of the criminal mind. The mind of a Chinese is a twisted, convoluted thing, like a maze or labyrinth - any Westerner trying to find his way out will find himself caught in its deadly coils!

Bethany snatches back her cards and turns to address the others.

I'm afraid I must bid you gentlemen adieu - I've no stomach for such talk. Mister Reuben, I hope you feel better. If anyone needs me, I'll be in the salon.

And with a rustle of her dress, she's gone.

OOC Brown is the color for Bernard's actions

After devorering the steak, Bernard Looks up at the errant servant...   A second later he pounces knocking the man off his feet.  The overpowering canine then procedes to lick him all over his face.

I think that means that he's forgiven you.

Sir.. I don't know how much more forgivness I can take!

Come Bernard let's go see what all the hubub is about upstairs.

Bernard looks up at his master, then gives the servant one last coating of saliva.  He bounds up the stairs only touching the steps once, heading full tilt toward the room.  

That dog had saved my life so many, but I know he's gonna be the death of me one day.  BERNARD! Get back here.

Borris Heads up the stair after Bernard, he gets to the top of the stairs just in time to see Bernard crash into a very started young woman.

OH MY WORD!  Bernard have you forgoten how to act civil!

I'm sorry Miss, He's usually not such a holligan. Let me help you up.

Borris offers Bethany his hand.

Bethany's fashionable white coat is completely covered in huge paw prints, her hair is in disarray and her face is beet red, but she still manages to look glamorous somehow. She accepts Borris' help and slowly rises like a bedraggled queen, and speaks somewhat cooly.

Thank you, sir. My, what a lovely beast - is it out of its cage often?

She smoothes her hair and adjusts her coat, which she inspects ruefully.

Another one for the fire.

After a moment of quiet dispair, she regains her composure, almost manages a smile and extends her dainty hand.

I shall endure - Bethany Morgan, journalist and doormat, at your service.

Back in the drawing room, Johnny Atomo scratched his head.

You think it's tongs, doc? Gee, maybe your right, but what's the angle? Why'd they pick on our new-found friend?

He turned to address Reuben earnestly.

Was it Chinamen, Rube? Did you get a good look at 'em?

Reuben's face forehead creases with concentration

Well, the memory's a bit fuzzy for some reason...........

I......well....No, I dont think so - they were well dressed as I recall...  possibly formal suits?  They were definitely western however.....  perhaps American....  I don't remember them talking so I couldn't catch an accent.....

Reuben's eyes take on a distant look, as he sincerely tries to remember a useful detail - ANY detail.........

I remember that I was leaving somewhere - in a hurry I think........  I think I might have tripped and fallen.....I think thats when they 'attacked' me........

But like I said - the memory's a bit fuzzy.  Perhaps what has happened to me still my brain 'away doing other things' eh?

I realy am sorry I insist that you allow me to buy you a new dress.

Feeling a bit ignored Bernard heads into the room where the others are gathered.  He sniffs a bit on the floor, where he apparently picks up a trail the terminates at Reuben's feet.

Where did Bernard head off to I hope that he's not making a nusance of himself.  I hope this incident doesn't make you think that a we're a bunch of backwater hicks at the Tidewater house.  The only time I've seen him get so rilled up is if there has been a masive burst of Telluric energy.

Bernard who is a masive mastaf sits down directly infront of Reuben and hold up his paw.  He lets out a short "Arff" almost as if he ment to say hello.

Aliandro smiles genuinly at the canine's antics.

Indeed it seems you have.

He turns his attention back to the assembled gentlemen.

If the Chinese are not responsible for the asault in poor Mr. Rueben, then who?

You wouldn't, by chance, be able to point out the location where this dreadful event took place, would you?

Reuben tries to shift his stare from the pooch, after declining to shake its paw....

erm........well, I think I was leaving somewhere...... possibly in a hurry.......  yes, thats right, I was..... I was 'fleeing' a place.......I.......I...........I think I might have belonged at the place.....

Yes........thats where they came from, they didnt want me to leave I think.........  I think they followed me.......

Bethany smiled.

You certainly are buying me a new dress - not too fancy, but not too cheap either. I'll send you the bill. For now, I think I'll see if I left any clothes here the last time I stayed.

She motioned with her head.

You'd better catch up with your dog - I'm sure you don't wish to buy clothes for the whole Society. If anyone needs me, send a servant to fetch me - I'll be in my room.

And then she wobbled off down the hall.

Johnny is delighted to see the large mastiff - he ruffled its head affectionatly.

Hey there, big fella! Where'd you come from?

He stroked it's head as he continued talking.

Y'know, if it's just a matter of finding out where you came from, there is a fresh layer of snow out there - maybe we could just trace your steps.

Ah, grand idea Mr. Atomo!

Aliandro heads for the door with cane in hand and a twinkle of excitement in his eye, but stops midstride.  He turns to Rueben with an ... odd ... smile.

Might I be able to have one of your shoes for a moment?  An odd request I know, but considering all of the arrivals today, we will need to identify which tracks are actually yours.  Don't want to be led on any wild goose-chases, do we.

Gentleman if you're going to be doing any sort of tracking you should enlist the services of my trusty canine Bernard over there. Have you been behaving Bernard?

Bernard casually looks to the side avoiding his master's eyes.  

My name is Boris Masterson I'm here from the Tidewater AEON Chapter House down in Virginia.  You see her gentlemen that Bernard is a champion tracker.  I assume that you are trying to discern the recent whereabouts of our confused compatriot.  I believe that I overheard that his name is Reuben.  All Bernard has to do is get a good sniff and we're off provided that a trail doesn't go through any rivers or rain.  

Boris goes to a small writing desk in the corner retrieving a clean sheet of paper and pulls a small pocket knife out and heads towards the manholding shoe.  

Tracking Mr. Reuben through the snow will only take us as far as the last doorstep he departed from.  Tracking by scent would be much more effective, but let's see if Reuben's shoes can provide a clue as to his whereabouts.  

Boris starts to scrape some of the mud and grime off of the shoe letting it fall onto the paper hands the shoe back to Reuben. He then  starts to examine the stuff on the paper with his knife.  

OOC:  Oh goody our first skill check of the game

Borris takes the paper and the mud back over to the small desk, turning on the lamp the get a clearer veiw.

Mmmm... not as conclusive as I hoped but still posably helpful.

Borris produces a Briar and a tabbacco pouch which he begins to fill the pipe with out even looking at it.  

I'm sorry gentlemen but I don't have enouph of a sample to pinpont Reuben's exact whereabout before coming here.  I'll only be able to disern a general idea of what kind of place he's been.

Bernard, could you go fetch one of the servants.

Berard goes bounding out of the room.

Dr. Berger, who's been watching the procedings from the comfort of an overstuffed chair, snorts and shakes his head in disgust.

Another detective? Well, it appears I'm no longer needed, now that Borris and his faithful hound are on the case.

He stands, stretches and bows to all those gathered.

Gentleman. If you've had need of me, I'll be in the salon, making sure Miss Morgan isn't robbing some poor fool blind.

He then strides out of the room. Johnny Atomo shrugs and takes the vacated chair.

Well I certainly have nothing better to do this afternoon - I'll help you boys anyway I can.

OOC - I'm just trying to make my job a little easier by cutting down on the active NPCs in the room, and to give all of you some breathing room. Bethany and Berger can be summoned in a jiffy by a servant.

A rather confused servant appears at the door being herded by Bernard.

Good work Bernard.

Is there somthing that I can help you with sir.

Yes, if you would be so good as to find me a roster of the expected guest list for tonight.  And also how much longer before the lecture is expected to begin?

The servant appears to be even more confused.

To be honest, sir, there was some question as to whether the lectures would continue as scheduled this evening, what with all the commotion. Dr. Berger has locked himself in his lab with orders not to be disturbed, Miss Morgan has gone to order a new dress, and Mr. Enkidu is brewing his potent 'Congo ale' in the basement. Only Mr. Atomo here seems unoccupied.

However, if all parties agree, the lectures are scheduled to begin at 5 o'clock, some three hours hence. I'd be happy to provide you with a list of all the members who RSVPed.

A full list would'nt be nessisary just check the list any mention of our friend Reuben.  Right now we may have to organize a group to chase down his trail while it's still fresh so a postponment of the lecture might not be that bad of an idea.  

How's that sound to Y'all. Up for a good ol bit of leg work fellas.

Archived