Trinity Universe: Azrael VS Dr. Arbitrary

Dr. Arbitrary

This is a trial run for two characters, Azrael and Dr. Arbitrary.

The players: Azrael and Dr. Arbitrary

The setting: Outside, around or in a Divis Mall in california.

The occasion: Dr. Arbitrary is at a book signing for his new book, "Dr. Arbitrary teaches Algebera."

Azrael has a beef with Dr. Arbitrary and has decided to settle things the old fashioned way.

(is this setting ok with you Azrael?)

Here's Dr. Arbitrary's statistics:

------------------------------

Name: Dr. Arbitrary (Birth Name: Galt Enrich)

Concept: Philosopher

Nature: Explorer

Eruption: Revelation

Allegiance: Teragen (Pandaimonion)

Archetype: Portent

Attributes

Strength: 3

Brawl: 1

Might: 2

Dexterity: 2

Firearms: 2

Stamina: 4

Endurance: 3

Resistance:3

Perception: 3

Awareness: 1

Investigation: 1

Intelligence: 5

+ 3 Mega intelligence (scientific prodigy)

Academics: 5 (Philosophy, Mathematics)

Bureaucracy: 3

Computer: 1

Engineering: 4

Science: 5 (Mathematics)

Wits: 3

Art: 2

Biz: 2

Appearance: 3

Intimidation: 1

Style: 1

Manipulation: 3

Charisma: 4

Perform: 2

Instruction: 1

Willpower: 3/3

Taint: 1/0

Chrysalis: 0/0

Quantum: 5

Quantum Pool: 30/30 (+2/+2)

Soak:  4 bashing, 2 lethal

+Dr. Arbitrary™ costume (2,2)

+Force Field (13/13)

Initiative: 5

Walk: 7m

Run: 14m

Sprint: 26m

Powers:

Force Field: 1

Quantum Bolt: [15] + 4d B (sonic waves) can be used with the mega phone with no dice penalties but no additional bonuses to the power or the stun.

Backgrounds:

Backing: 3 (Pandaimonion)

Eufiber: 2 (Dr. Arbitrary™ Costume + Dr. Arbitrary™ Gas mask)

Mentor: 5 (Pedro, “The Mathematician,” Santiago)

Node: 2

Resources: 4 (from royalties and investments)

Influence: 2

Gear and Equipment

Dr. Arbitrary™ MEGA-phone

Effect: Combat- [2] + 3 dice of stun attack

Out of Combat- +1 perform, +1 intimidation

“Dr. Arbitrary™ teaches algebra” (textbook) Cost: 1

Effect: +1 to instruction, only for academics (mathematics)

Dr. Arbitrary™ costume (and gas mask)

Effect: Soak, 2 bashing, 2 lethal bulk 0

Dr. Arbitrary™ rifle

Effect: Acc +2, Damage 8, Range 200, ROF 1, Clip 10

Character Background:

Galt Enrich was a talented person before he erupted. He already had an intelligence rating of 5 and four dots worth of education in academics and science. His degrees in Mathematics and Philosophy weren’t as useful as he thought they would be and ended up teaching High School Mathematics. On the side he continued to study philosophy but gradually became more and more depressed at the state of the world. The explosion of the Galatea was the breaking point. Obsessed with his drive to change the world for the better, but having no means to do so he decided to end his life. He held the pistol to his head, gulped, slowly squeezed the trigger, and before he reached the critical point of pressure on the trigger, had a hit of inspiration. Putting the pistol down and grabbing a notebook he fleshed out a few ideas to change the world for the better. He hadn’t come up with anything really concrete but decided to develop them further.

The next day at lunch in the mathematics department lounge a colleague who had noticed his depression the last few weeks gave Galt with a math problem with the intent of cheering him up. Galt quickly solved the problem filling several rooms worth of blackboards with equations. His shocked colleague revealed that the problem was an unsolved problem in number theory that had been posed at a convention the week before.

Following his publishing of the solution, Galt received offers from universities around the country. What really surprised Galt was a check for 200 thousand dollars from a Señor Pedro Santiago with a note thanking him for solving the problem, and an invitation to meet him.

Galt, over the next 5 years had adopted the code name Dr. Arbitrary and his previous identity as Galt Enrich was forgotten by most of the world. He spent much of his time working with Santiago. During this time he revealed his identity in the Teragen, but also spent time indulging in his musical hobbies. Through connections with Pandaimonion he was able to produce an album and a concert tour. He’s not very talented but most youths don’t want to listen to a talented artist when they can listen to Dr. Arbitrary scream and rant through his megaphone. The music is loud, and with the help of other musically inclined Novas in Pandaimonion, full of pro-Teragen subliminal messages.

Dr. Arbitrary presently receives income from royalties from his albums. He also has finished his first textbook “Dr. Arbitrary™ teaches algebra.” The media had a heyday mocking the book with remarks like “what’s next, Geryon’s guide to microbiology.” The academic world had a much more positive reaction however. The textbook is being used in several school districts around country.” Like his albums, subtle Pro-Teragen subliminal messages were written into the book.

His equipment, The Dr. Arbitrary™ rifle, The Dr. Arbitrary™ costume and gas mask, and Dr. Arbitrary™ MEGA-phone, were all produced by CORE international and are slightly better than normal equipment of the same type. Toy versions of each and an action figure are available through Pandaimonion Playthings.

Currently Dr. Arbitrary is being taught the philosophy of Teras by Santiago and will begin learning the secret of Chrysalis as soon as he has proven himself worthy.

Most people do not see Dr. Arbitrary as anything more than a bad musician so problems arising from the fact that he has Teragen connections are minimized. He, unlike much of the Teragen, has low taint so is not associated with them in the same way as Geryon and the like.

-------------------------------------------

As you can see, Dr. Arbitrary is not a combat character, but he has advantages as a result of the setting. Uh, I think that's everything

If someone else REALLY want's to participate, I have character openings for

A: panicking bystanders

B: an extremely nervous newscaster

C: a drug addict fan of Dr. Arbitrary who will at a convenient time, attack Azrael but find himself WAY outclassed

D: a security guard.

Any of these sound fun???

Dr. Arbitrary

Ok I'll get started typing up my character.

Name: Azrael (birth name Donovan Rial)

Concept: Judge Dredd-ish

Nature: Survivor

Eruption: Deadly Situation

Allegiance: Independant

Attributes:

Str- 5

Dex- 5

Athletics 2

Firearms 5

Martial arts 5

Melee 5

Sta- 5

Perception- 3

Awareness 3

Intelligence- 2

Survival 3

Wits- 4

Appearance- 5

Intimidation 5

Manipulation- 2

Interrogation 3

Subterfuge 4

Charisma- 2

resources 4

Eufiber 5

Mentor 3

Willpower- 4

taint- 2

weaknesses

enemy (-2)

Quantum flaw (-2)

jet black wings anima

vengeful (-2)

Quantum- 5

Quantum pool- 30

Mega-Dex 2

perfect balance

Mega-Stam 1

Regeneration

Mega-Wits 1

Quickness

Q-bolt (death's touch)

[15]d4 bashing

Flight 1

psychic shield 2

Soak 6/3

Azrael costume 5/5 (eufiber)

Initiative +12

Gear:

Sword 5d10L (10d10L)

Twin light pistols death's advocates

I haven't quite written up a background, but will get to it asap

Do you need to know anything else?

Well, judging by your resources, you have no problem paying for the bus. A werido considers talking to you about the weather, but decides otherwise (automatic success from intimidation).

Getting up to the roof without being seen is (Dex + Stealth) a normal difficulty action.

5 dice + 2 super dice

4 successes, you made it.

Falling down from the ceiling would normally use an acrobatics roll but since you have flight Im making it a Dex + Intimidation to see how impressive you are as you decend from the ceiling.

6 successes, you scared the pants off everyone including a security guard who would have normally called for help but is instead running for his life.

Well, you're on the ground in the mall, The bookstore is right in front of you, you can see Dr. Arbitrary near the back signing books.

Just to let you know, i did tweak my character...he now has 4 in weave, i dropped one point in eac melee, firearms, awareness, and subterfuge.

If this is okay with you...

I am using weave to create the scariest looking Spikes as possible on the suit, approaching Dr. Arbitrary and telling him to give me his pen. Then I am going to sign an Autograph for HIM.

If not...

I approach him anyways and tell him to give the pen, and sign an autograph for him.

I wouldn't want to butt-in here, however, as an interested outside observer, it seems to me that this fight is already over.

Azrael has 10 dice Intimidation (+ a possible bonus from a creative use of the Weave ability, in which he has 8 dice + a Mega-Die), & has just attempted to Intimidate Dr Arbitrary who, with a Willpower of 3 is one of the most weak-willed people, let alone Novas, on the planet.

All things being equal shouldn't the next fight update be along the lines of - "Dr Arbitrary turns tail & runs after the fleeing crowd of baselines" (in fact, many of the baselines probably have a bigger Willpower than the good Doctor!)?

Just a thought, mind you.  ???

OOC: Whoops I guess I forgot to consider willpower. I used to play VtM with some of my friends, and we never really used willpower. I'm going to take that into account (after this of course, otherwise it would be a little unfair) I suppose that finding these kinds of mistakes is the whole purpose of this thread.

I suppose in order to make this thing work, I have to use ST fudge (level 7 power).

Dr. Arbitrary's signature gas mask covers most of his face and obscures his vision significantly (not to mention muffles his voice unless he yells). He is at +2 difficulty for all perception rolls.

Dr. A's skill total for awareness is 4.

I think that rather than figure out the dice requirements, Dr. Arbitrary spends one willpower point to become immune to intimidation for the scene.

IC:

"Azrael, Have a seat. I haven't seen you since the Geneva 'incident.' I hope you're still not mad about it. You do realize that you brought it upon yourself, scaring me so bad that I almost peed my pants in front of my fans..."

Dr. Arbitrary fumbles around a bit and retrieves a book.

"Gee Whiz, I'd love to have your signature, could you sign it 'best of wishes Dr. your pal, Azrael' My friends would go crazy with envy if they found out I got your signature. Here I'll sign one for you too"

Dr. Arbitrary signs a copy of "Dr. Arbitrary teaches algebra" , 'Best of luck Azrael, Your friend, Dr. Arbitrary.'

"here, I think you might learn a few things from this book, I'll even help you out if you have trouble figuring out any of the problems"

A few of the securtity guards get increasingly nervous as they glance from Azrael to their pistols and back. Each in their own words is thinking "my pistol isn't going to do #%@ against that guy"

Dr. Arbitrary sets a pen on the unsigned book, slides it towards Azrael and holds the newly signed book out to him.

Signs a book to Dr. Arbitrary slowing down halfway through that says

"Best of wishes, I hope you will still have fans after today"

finishes writing very slowly

"Your friend Azrael"

Takes Dr. Arbitrarys book, throws it into the air (above peoples heads), draws death's advocates and proceeds to shoot it out of the air

prepares to dodge

The alarms go off at the sound of the gunfire. Most of the people in the store rush out but a few of the devoted fans hide behind book shelves to watch. The smart ones cover their ears.

Dr. Arbitrary spends one willpower point (I definitely need to give him more WP), spends 5 quantum +2 for quantum bolt.

Rolls 5 dice. uses megaphone.

gets 3 successes, uses 2 to make the effect radiate outward like real sound and 1 success to add 2 dice to the effect.

15 + 6 dice bashing

4 successes so, 19 bashing damage is inflicted.

I think you have 11 soak so that leaves 8 dice,

4 successes. Azrael recieves 4 levels of bashing damage.

2 + 3 dice stun

1 success

this gives 3 dice of stun

In total. 4 bashing damage + 3 stun (I don't know if that's enough to stun you, I don't have my book with me.)

Dr. Arbitrary gains 1 experience point (yay)

Dr. Arbitrary stands, raises the megaphone, and yells. The sonic disturbances are so powerful that they can be seen in the air. All the glass in the room shatters. Several people fall to the ground unconsious. Book shelves too close to the sonic blast are hurled outward. A few people who had remembered to cover their ears only suffer temporary hearing loss. The rest are bleeding from their ears.

I'm not sure if you want me to roll or not so I will, if not roll it yourself and tell me you did...

Azrael spends 1 willpower point, 5 quantum, adds 3 damage dice (he is vengeful)

rolls 8 dice (5 dex, 1 q-bolt, 2 megadex) 4 successes

[15]+4d(rating)+3d(max)+3(extra successes)= 20 dice

unless your forcefield is activated (reflexive or something else it looks like you have a bashing soak of 6)

7 successes dr. arbitrary takes 7 bashing damage

Azrael's fist starts crackling with bolts of crimson lightning, nocks over two bookshelves with the power, and Dr. Arbitrary is blasted in the chest.

note: stun will not affect me, equvalent to stamina of 6

(Did you take into consideration any damage penalties.

I trust you on the dice. It's all fun and games.)

Dr. Arbitrary falls to the ground hard. He seems to be knocked out.

A crazed fan steps foward. It looks like he has been abusing mite for some time. He also appears to have what looks like a brain piercing. He makes an extremely thoughtful comment "Hey, you can't do that."

He attempts to attack. His relevant traits are: Str 5, Mega Str 1. Brawl 1.

6 dice, 3 successes +5 from mega str.

8 damage dice -11 =0, he gets to roll one die anyway. zero successes.

The Mitoid fan looks up at Azrael suddenly realizing the stupidity of his action.

(I might have calculated the damage wrong, could you check your book and make sure it's ok.)

Ohhh sorry about that, I was under the impression that you weren't actually affected by the penalty until the box was "X"ed.  in that case

I will roll again or do you just want to subtract the damage levels if you want to do that, take six bashing

if not...

spends one willpower to max q-bolt, spends 5 quantum (adding +2 damage +1 dice)

rolls (quantum bolt 1, plus dex 5, plus mega dex 2, -1

+1)=8 dice...once again four successes

[15]+4d(power)+ 2(damage)+3(extra successes)-1= 23 versus soak six so rolls seventeen dice- 8 successes

provided Dr. arbitrary is unconscious, Azrael turns his attention to the crazed fan "Guilty", spends two quantum fires a quantum bolt this time rolling seven die,  4 successes, we'll assume he has a Sta of 4 k?

[15]+4d(power)+3(extra successes)= rolls 18 dice, 5 successes

turns his attention back to Dr. Arbitrary...

OOC: Does that all sound good to you?

[OOC, all OOC, hey, I'm not even there!]

Wow, I can't believe anyone played a WW game & didn't use Willpower much! I love the way these forums give us insights into the way other people play the games.

Since this thread is supposed to be a constructive look at these two characters:

Dr A, did you figure-in the fact that Azrael said he was dodging for your first shot? If so I'd be interested to see the results you got, 'cos his dodge is pretty big, but you still seemed to hit ok.

Initiative results would also be interesting - who got to act first? [This may have influenced some descisions, such as "to raise force-field or not to raise force-field"]

BTW, Dr A, loved the whole "he's not scared 'cos he can't see properly" excuse, reminds me of a line Daredevil says in an old comic when someone calls him "The Man without Fear": [something along the lines of]"If I could see what I was doing I'd be scared to death!"

Some comments:

RE: Stun

Mega Stamina counts double.  You have an equivelent of 7, not 6.

RE: Injury

4 levels of damage knock him down to Wounded -2 succ.

With 1 M-Stam(Regen), at the start of his turn, as a free action he could have heal to Injured -1

The single level of Mega-Stamina reduces his injury dice reduction to -0.

So there was no modifier.

RE: Feats

Since you both pulled feats, it balances out, but I'm pretty sure feats take place on your next action.

RE: Mitoid

That +5 from M-Strength was only applied to damage.  I.e. he didn't get a +5 autosucc to hit.  

I'm only saying this because it was a little unclear, I thought it was done right.

I did figure in the dodging, I figured that at close range 2-5 feet an area effect blast would not be dodgeable. I also took into account that his powers do not allow him to move faster than the speed of sound.

Also, Dr. Arbitrary is pretty much incapacitated, is there any way he can get back in the fight. I don't have my book with me so I don't remember

Dr. Arbitrary

I don't think so, unless you have regeneration or a power like it, if not...novas do have a much faster healing rate, but i doubt that they heal within a couple of minutes so...

I think I may just make Dr. Arbitrary Azraels enemy (for the flaw) and use him in my own games.

tells one of Dr. Arbitrary's still loyal fans to take him to the hospital, writes a check out for repairs on the store, sits down and begins to sign autographs, trying to be as un-scary as possible.

A few mall security guards take Dr. Arbitrary away. As time goes by, the people in the store begin to look more and more odd, one has a odd gleam in her eye. Maybe it's a bad idea to stick around in a Divis Mall after beating the stuffing out of a Terat.

A man in a suit walks foward. "I'm in charge here. I'd rather not accept that check, think of it as a gesture of good will. This incident here can turn out very advantageous to you, or a big hassle. As long as this little dispute is between you and the Dr. There's no problem. If this makes headlines, there's a big problem. I'd like to make another gesture of good will, Here's the business card of a marketing genius I know. If you ever feel like making a few bucks or promoting a cause or whatever, give him a call. The legal department can take care of the injury issues with the Mitoid unless you would rather take care of it yourself. Also, I don't know how much this means to you but I would happy to give you a 20% discount on anything in the mall"

When the man finishes speaking the remaining people in the store are obviously more than human, It's proabably a good idea to get going soon, they don't look as weak as Dr. Arbitrary was.

It's pretty much over unless you have any final comments Azrael.

Azrael gets the following: 1 xp for quantum bolt (for maxing), 1 xp for playing, 1 for winning, 1 for roleplaying (the signature), 1 contact (the marketing guy).

Dr. A gets the following: 1 xp for QB, 1 for playing, 1 for clever thinking (the mask trick)

(I'd be really flattered if you used Dr. A in your own stories. I have all sorts of background info for him that I have made up. I was reading abberant worldwide and there was a reference to the Teragen card game. I'm working on a Dr. Arbitrary card now. I don't think it would be below Dr. A to make an Asreal (spelled for legal reasons) card with an ugly picture and wimpy stats.)

Hmmm. Maybe Azrael's powers don't make him move faster than the speed of sound, but can he move faster than the speed of Dr Arbitrary? After all the Doc even used that megaphone thingy to get a bonus on the attack, & he has got a certain amount of fame, so it's most likely that Azrael knew full well what he was about to do! On top of that Azrael's Flight would still have been active, so he could have simply dodged over the Doc's head to get out of the area effect (assuming that the area didn't effect everything behind where the Doc was standing as well). I know it's a mute point now, since the battle's over, but I wouldn't want Azrael's player put off dodging for life!  ;)

This has been an interesting thread, seeing how people interpret the rules, the tactics they use in combat, that sort of thing. If you guys want to stage a re-match, I'd be happy to act as a neutral ST for you. I've been thinking about offering to run a play-by-post on this site, but would rather have a go at something less than a full scenario first, since I've never run a play-by-post before. This way I could see if I'm any good at it, & iron out any little peculiarities of the format, before commiting to a full game. So, how about it?

::bigsmile

Well, I know that I did have an advantage as being ST, but I did have a non-combat character and so I figured that if I could keep my pride in line things would work out pretty fair.

I admit that the area effect thing was a little shaky, but I figured that it made sense for him to hit automatically.

I took into consideration.

1. the attack was kind of by surprise, He could have dodged to the left or right for a focused blast, but an area effect blast is not the usual attack (Dr. A was acting out of desparation, he knew he was outclassed)

2. It would have looked bad on Azrael's part if he ran away from the blast. especially if it turned out not to be a real attack but instead just speech " Azrael jumps behind a book case to avoid the efffects of Dr. Arbitrary's quantum insult"

3. It would have hurt my pride if Dr. A didn't even scratch Azrael so I made sure that he did a little damage, even if it didn't amount to anything.

I was thinking that it might be fun if more people had these little duels on the site, I'd be happy to ST, I think that with a neutral ST non combat characters would have a better chance at fighting combat characters because they would be able to affect the terms of the combat, (setting traps before hand, sabatoging the other guy's weapons, using mega socials to get the other guy's family to show up rooting for you)

Anyone else want to make a character? I'd be happy to ST.

Dr. A

Archived