Using other rpg's

CHILL

Here's a random thought...

...  recently I've managed to take a break from ST our regular Trin game (Senior Mal was suckered, erm... I mean 'volunteered' to run Star Wars for a bit), and I;ve already started thinking about the next game I run...

... one of my habits is to poke around in other system source books for vague ideas, things to steal, modify, et al...

For example, one of the ideas I have for the next Trinity game I run is a campaign where, when you come right down to it, the characters are VARG pilots, operating in and around France and areas of The Shatter.

I have a very specific mood in mind for this, and started leafing through my old Twilight 2000 sourcebooks for reference material, that game captures the mood I'm looking for..

....so, what other RPG's do you use as feeders for your Aeon games?

For Trinity I rolled up a few extra planets and star systems by crossing Traveller 2300 method with TravellerTNE method. Call me sad but rolling up and calculating the parameters of the planets gave me lots of ideas for the type of life forms and conditions that would be prevelant. I wanted a few more habitable worlds because I found it odd how their could be life on Beta Canum and then not another habitable system for a couple of thousand light years. So I made up a load of worlds, most of them marginal for human settlement but great as aberrant bases. I figured that some of the good ones could be hidden from clairsentient scans by quantum driven super science shroud machines working a bit like ARES bioware in reverse.

Chill if your interested I could write a few of em up for you to post on the board? (Thats if anyone can figureout how the CSG numbers work properly, if not i'll just make the numbers up).

I like the design sequences in Traveller and the trading charts but find the rules sssssslllllooooooowwwwwww in combat and have only used them once and that was a mistake caused by me not reading them properly first.

"Lets see to resolve this burst of fire from a squad support laser I roll 50 d20's and I get how many bursts in one round?!?"

talk about unwieldy. I often find stuff in RPG's that don't make sense or I just don't like and do a lot of mixing and matching.

I have used a number of Gurps books for my Adventure! demos (including Warehouse 23, Cliffhanger and Places of Mystery).

For Trinity: I am actively mining Transhuman Space for ideas. The newest book is only $12 USA, and has lots of spaceship ideas. I just picked up Traveler for Gurps... and it could have some ideas...

Mr Hart

Though it's a GURPS line (I think) and I haven't seen the RPG books for it, the Uplift Series (Sundiver, Startide Rising, Uplift War) by David Brin is absolutely great for a Trinity setting. With some mods, of course.

-Joseph

hmm....  I've not actually looked into much fo the GURPS stuff..

...  I guess I'll have to rememdy that.

Chris...get GURPS.  The rules are easy to learn, comprehensive and...consistant.  On top of that the sourcebooks {150+ Worldbooks, Sourcebooks and Adventure Books} are well done and chock full of information.  Here is the GURPS web-page and here is the Link to GURPS Lite, a 32 page introduction to the game.

Now...here are a few more ideas:

GURPS WW2, GURPS WW2: Hand of Steel and GURPS WW2: Iron Cross  are all very useful for Adventure set in WW2.

Morrow Project for that "After the war feel" between Aberrant and Trinity.  Other games useful for this are Twilight 2000 and Gamma World.

GURPS Cyberpunk and Cyberpunk by R.S. Talasorian for a more "gritty" feeling to Trinity.

Hmmm....have to think about more later.  Packing right now. :D

Nadrakas..."August 3rd....then Zooooooom...on the Plane :D"

{Scratches head....adding things up...}  "Damn...I've spent nearly $2000 on GURPS books alone."

• 2 weeks later...

GURPS Timeline is OOP unfortunately, but if you ever have the chance to buy it you should do so without pause and thank Santy Claws  ::xmas for having placed it in your path...

As well as all of history from the Big Bang though the (late?) 80s (when the book was published) it has Adventure Hooks for all of the time periods in that continuium.... it is a must have for any RPG Library IMO.

• 1 month later...

I spent about two and a half years running a Aeon campaign with a lot of Blue Planet mixed in; those two go so well together. I like Blue Planet lots ::wub  but until Aeon came along I didn't have a workable system to go with it.

The sheer amount of info in Blue Planet (especially V2) for running underwater exploration, alien frontier adventures is staggering. It may even be worth getting the books just for Earth based adventures in places like New Atlantis and the underwater colonies.

Jash

i know that feeling ezekiel... i thought about an underwater setting a number of times after i read trinity:oceania (available on the white wolf site for free under downloads) the stories in there really got me going, especially the one with the alien/aberrant/fish things... fear the ocean oh, yes!

i never did get around to it though... had a great idea for a  game based on trying to find those things, and catching smugglers, etc.

I've found a couple of bits and pieces useful while running Adventure!....

Gurps Espionage is surprisingly useful for the cunning GM (particularly the sections on disinformation and assassination tecniques...), as is Castle Falkenstein (mainly because it has a really simple system to create weapons of mass destruction for your PC's to chase after - great if you're stuck for a McGuffin...).  Kenneth Hite's 'Suppressed Transmission' books are also good for a bit of conspiratorial weirdness (although they are collections of articles from Pyramid magazine, so if you subscribe you might want to check before you fork out the cash . ;) )

The Conspiracy X Cryptozoology supplement is handy for hints about strange, misplaced creatures, and on one particularly messy occasion I made quite extensive use of Call of Cthulhu.......

Hope these random babblings help somebody....

:D

Blue Planet, what company publishes that one? I may just be out of the loop, but i've never heard of it before.

and of course, welcome to the boards, i hope you have fun in here... ::smiley5

Blue Planet is published by Biohazard games, They've put out several books for it so far and even done a second ed. The book on the ecology of the colonised world (called Natural Selection I think [memory bad ::dozingoff  posting at work]) is the most useful.

And hi to everyone out there too. ::smiley5

Jash

• 5 months later...

I'm terribly late chiming in on this one, sorry ::halo

Adventure! keepers might like to check out (and visit e-bay for) "Lands of Mystery", an old (1985!! ::blink ) supplement for Justice Inc. penned by that same aaron allston whose Doc Sidhe books has been discussed recently somewhere else on these boards.

Anyway, the book is a 96 pages primer about subterranean worlds in the manner of Burroughs' Pellucidar, and does an excellent job of it.

Very very good.

Well worth looking for and grabbing.

I'm in the process of designing a "rabid dinosaur + scantly clad primitive princesses" campaign setting for my Adventure! games and the Allston book's an excellent starting point.

I'll try and post further details about my designing feats as things happen.

I'm in the process of designing a "rabid dinosaur + scantly clad primitive princesses" campaign setting for my Adventure! games and the Allston book's an excellent starting point.

Wow, the two things that might actually interest me in a an Adventure game. ::wink ::smiley1

Wow, the two things that might actually interest me in a an Adventure game.

Indeedy, there's a great need for rabid dinosauria and scantly clad primitive princesses these days.

I'm also checking out some way old D&D "Hollow World" supplements (again by Aaron Allston--looks like the gentleman really is an Adventure!-friendly writer), plus the old "Cadillacs and Dinosaurs" game and a cartload of Frazetta illos for inspiration.

The "Dinotopia" books are nice, too, but sorely lacking in the primitive princesses department.

Now I've only to decide if I'll place my characters on a lost continent or an underground world. The latter would be great, but there's something like that in the canon already (the Inner World of Baron Halcyon), which is not to my tastes, and I'd rather avoid a proliferation of underground worlds. ::rolleyes

Anyway, should anything solid come out of the lot, I'll try and pitch an e-book at the EON big shots ::cool

Archived