Shadowrun

Umoja

I downloaded the book off of Kazaa, always having been curious about this game since I played it on Sega.  I've grown pretty interested in it, after skimming through it, and wondered if anyone else has ever played it?

I have played the game yes, erm - btw, no offence or anything buddy - but if you have downloaded the book from Kazaa  -  please do not mention or endorse such practices here - no matter the reason.

I kinda only have one rule, and getting official publications  without paying for it, no matter the reason, is something I disagree with strongly.

Anyways - on with the fun - who else has played Shadowrun?

Enter all the Mr. Jones's :)

You're not mistaken, Harle. Shadowrun was the third RPG I ever played (D&D and Car Wars being the first two), and I've enjoyed the game since first edition. I have third sitting right next to me, and have even used some of the art in concept pieces for EON.

There's a lot that can be done with Shadowrun. It's a well put together game, and has many opportunities for play. It even givesss encouragment to stray away from the typical Runner game and try being a Corp Man, or some other odd setup.

I think what I enjoy most is the mix of magic and technology. It's beautifully done, with the exception of cyberware decreasing your ability to do magic. I understand the balance rules for it, I just disagree with the thoughts in general.

If people want to get a feel for Shadowrun, try reading just about anything by William Gibson (Neuromancer, Idoru, Count Zero). They give a great feel for the setting, sans magic.

-Joseph

• 4 weeks later...

Shadowrun Rocks!

My wive is the only GM of it that I've ever met (other than my own abortive attempt to run it, she does it so much better than I do).  If anyone cares I've got some "Tales from the Shadows" I could share. :)

#1) We had a custom built Mercenary character who carried a rail gun but had no gunnery skill (that was just a goofy situation there...)

At the end of the adventure we were fighting on a boat and he'd fallen out, one of our opponents was trying to climb him from the water into the boat so a member of the group (GROUP #1) stomped on our mercenary "friend's" finger to keep the badguy from getting at us. My wife really likes that one. :)

#2) Also in GROUP #1 in the same adventure, our Rigger (another new player) was able to avoid making a bomb in her remote with a POUND of C4 with a successful Intelligence roll.

#3) <may contain spoilers for Ivy and Chrome so I won't share it until either I get approval from a number of people or Monday, which ever comes first...> (GROUP #2)

... shoot, maybe I'll get my wife to post others, but these two and the one on hold are the best :)

I don't know. . .I looked at the book once, but when I figured out that it was mixing dwarves and elves with cybernectics and William Gibson-esque stuff I just kinda went " Oh please. " Of course, from the warm reception it's gotten thus far here, maybe I'm wrong. It's been known to happen once or twice every five years or so. . .*haughty sniff* ;)

:P

-Defender.

#3) <may contain spoilers for Ivy and Chrome so I won't share it until either I get approval from a number of people or Monday, which ever comes first...> (GROUP #2)

Ok, first off, you have to know something about the group...

1) We had a mage (can't remember much about him unfortunately)

2) A physical adept who used to be part of Azteca and had a jaguar warrior motiff

3) Two street samauri (played by my college roommate and his wife) who were both built for speed, one specialized in dual weapons and the other in disguise and infiltration

4) My character was a Wolf Shamman (wolf shamman are berserkers for those not in the know, a pain triggered rage basically) who had the flaws Vindictive (what it sounds like) and Combat Monster (this made it where once you were in combat you had to fight for a specific amount of time or you had to make a Willpower-like check to break out of it). Yes, he was a nasty customer...

Now, I should note that this character carried a dikoted knife (Dikoting is, in the simplest terms, a diamond coating; it increases the damage to people greatly and even allows edged weapons to affect cars to the same degree they would normally affect people, i.e. it cuts metal like butter *grin*)

Next you have to know something about the job... and here come the spoilers for the module Ivy and Chrome so spoiler space has been inserted...

<Scroll down for more information>

Ok, so what the characters get told (by the avatar of a famous decker, who is apparently hiring them) is that a girl has gone missing and she is at risk of her life from her father, who killed his ex-wife (her mother) already as a blood ritual.  He is a high level Azteca Mage and is on his way to Seattle.  We finally track her down to an elven community off in the tribal lands north of Seattle (evading arrest for the arsenal in the trunk of the car due to my use of a Tribal Chief contact and having a high level vacation visa allowing us on the lands).

The community is going to be trashed, as an Aztech assult squad is on the way... This is best explained by a quote I've seen on the internet:

At the end of the module, when the team is helping the elven commune prepare to defend against the Aztech assault sqauds, one of the team asked their Troll Goon what he thought of the communes chances of defeating the corp soldiers.  His reply was "let's just slaughter them all now ourselves and save them the hassle of preparing anymore".

Quote Source

Well, we didn't take that tact, we helped them prepare and told them to stay out of our way.  On site we found a crashed APG (in the module, I guess the troll's group didn't find it or couldn't salvage anything), the only salvage on it were two Vehicular Surface-to-Air missiles.  Well, we rigged up them for shoulder mount launching - our Street Samuari were strong enough to use them... but the kick threw them back a few yards each time.  I summoned a bunch of nature spirits around the area (for different environments) and asked them to wait for me to call on their tasks.

Then the squad showed up, invisible... luckily we had the mage and myself watching out Astrally so we saw them... They nearly trashed us inside the building and the father was running away with the girl as the rest of the assault team (ork mercenaries) was called in and being brought in by helecoptor.

Ok, so my group leaves the building.  I call on the powerful (force 4 for those who care) Plains spirit and have him speed up our group, making us move 4x as fast as normal.  The street samauri took out the helecopters with the rockets (2 direct hits and one being hit by one of the other two as it lost control and crashed) and then we took care of the ground troops...

However, the guy was about to get on a boat with his daughter (had about 100 feet to go) so I had my spirit (as its last task) slow him down (also by 4x, making me moving 16x as fast as he was). I ran up behind him and asked my wife (my Shadowrun GM) a set of questions she never expected to hear from me...

ME: You said he has her slung over his shoulder, which one?

GM: (confused and showing in person Note: I personally don't recall which, treat it as left shoulder for this retelling) This one.

ME: Ok, I stab him in the right kidney, do I need to make a roll?

GM: (eyes bulging in shock) Um, no... he doesn't know it is coming at all and you are moving so fast...

ME: Ok, what's he do?

GM: He drops the girl and bends over in pain.

ME: I yank the knife out to the side and stab him in the other kidney.

GM: (even more shocked as this NPC she planned to have be a recuring character dies an utterly painful death) Ok, he falls down, bleeding to death.

I then said something about respecting ones family or something like that and turned my back on the still breathing corpse.  It was so cool, the entire group just stared at me for a few moments because I am not at all that agressive or nasty IRL. <!--emo&:)

Hope you all enjoyed reading as much as I did writing. :)

In my friends game i'm playing a quadraplegic Decker called Stack Overflow at the momment. He interacts with the world via the matrix and custom built remotes. Sure makes for an interesting PC, especially when they trace your real space location and you have to relocate the entire team to Rio De Janerio... (sorry guys)

By the way their is a great shareware resource at

http://www.geocities.com/icetoaster/index.html

It allows you to run the matrix in a DOOM like environment and speeds up decking in the game considerably, you can make your own LTG's in it too (my GM is always sending me up against Red, Black and Purple nodes all the time, Ba***rd)

Yeah, that is a great utility Psiborg, my wife's owned it for years.  Steffan is a great guy also, couldn't find us after we paid for it (or something) and posted to the usenet, a friend of ours found the post and we got the softwear... read about that story in full.

Yep its definitely, the best roleplaying utility I've seen on the net for ANY system. I particularly like the Seattle RTG, Stack is always trashing the computer sytem for resturants and night clubs, turning the soybeer taps full on, setting off the sprinklers, printing rude messages on the vid screens and locking the doors ::devil . Makes for light relief after being pounded by Black IC and Tarpits in some Spirit forsaken Aztecnology mainframe ::thumbs-up

And its nice to know that some people are still honest!

I've recently aquired a trove of Shadowrun books from my friends.  I really find it interesting, and since WoD is my original RPG I think I can find some very good non-combative game ideas.  

I have always been intruiged with Deckers since the Shadowrun for Sega Genesis, so my first character I made was a Decker, who is slightly Elf-looking even though he is human, and he has a mild disdain of them.  

I liked the anti-elf Idea, and am trying to come up with the idea for a Human mage who leads a large anti-elf group. He largely advocates attacks against the former lands of Oregon (Forgot the Elvish name), and is even responsible for some.  Most of his staging is done in any manner possible, even to the extent of killing innocent elves if they talk about humanity, in a way he considers degrading.

So, I'm full of ideas.  How about an online Shadowrun game on this server?  It seems like a few people do play it.

I've grown pretty interested in it [shadowrun], after skimming through it, and wondered if anyone else has ever played it?

Yeppers Chummer!

I have played the game for about a year (looong time ago)

Now I run 2 different games of it. It's a fun game but if you have a big troupe (5-7 people) Combat can take a long time.

I played in a game once where there was 2 wicked mages, a cybered elf (my characters brother) a decker (what a mistake! it took even longer than combat did!) a physad (physical Adept) and a kickass troll who had the gyro stableizer with a mini gun. (ME!  :D )

in the games first game i run now I have a Combat Mage and a freespirit P.C. made up from the Grimoire.

In the second game (just with me wifey) She playes a Combat Mage (surprise!) who works with the F.B.I. in anti-terrorism in the 2nd game I changed the timeline to be almost exactly like this one. Save the Native American Indians kicked all the frogs out of Quebec and claimed it for thier own. ::devil

It is still called the N.A.N.

• 4 months later...

Sahdow run is a great game but the MAtrix system is very complex and eat a lot of time....when a decker is in play.....so if the GM want a game that roll quickly...the decker is not the best character to play...My GM just settle the question...Only NPC are decker.....

LAzarus

Archived