Health Levels

CHILL

i completely disagree about the dnd thing. unless whoever was running it was so tight you couldn't do anything about it, dnd is just as good as any other system at char creation...just different....

...and health levels are totally random....it's to show that some people should be able to take a hit better than others...

::withbeer

You're right, Ani. D&D is a viable game with plenty of playability. I'm actually thinking of giving 2ed another try for a one or two shot game.

When I first got into role playing, we were all quite young (I was 9, so that was 1986) and took the rules literally. We didn't really think about futzing with the rules until much later. That and we were little power mongers, desiring every last magical item of the highest caliber we could get our dirty little mitts on.

It seemed to be the gateway game for many of us at the time, as it was the only quality RPG out there. A lot of young groups, like my own, used it mainly as hack 'n slash.

So, yes. D&D is quite a game. (Loved the SpellJammer set for it.  ::sigh ) I just like poking fun of a mutual past a bit.

-Joseph

I guess I haven't been a nerd long enough to realize the splendor in DnD games.

Time really doesn't have too much to do with it. (Though odds are the longer you've gamed, the more likely you've worked most of the twinkishness out of your system. Took me long enough!  ::halo ) I've met some relatively new gamers, EON's own Aninemity frex, who seemed to possess the proper mindset to jump straight into role playing without going through the awkward early stages.

Also, the term nerd is now more angled towards Windows gurus. Trust me on that one.  ;) I'm part of that club. (Alternately, geek is reserved by the Unix/Linux crowd.)

Chill! Stop me before I digress further!  ::butbut

:P

-Joseph

I've met some relatively new gamers, EON's own Aninemity frex, who seemed to possess the proper mindset to jump straight into role playing without going through the awkward early stages.

::blush  ::blush

aww...how sweet of you to say jo!   ::bigsmile

but i feel lucky to have started gaming w/ people like jake and slag...they helped that a lot...

it also really seems to depend on a person's age. youger groups tend to go hack and slash munchy, but older groups seem to have moved beyond that...

Time really doesn't have too much to do with it. (Though odds are the longer you've gamed, the more likely you've worked most of the twinkishness out of your system. Took me long enough!  ::halo ) I've met some relatively new gamers, EON's own Aninemity frex, who seemed to possess the proper mindset to jump straight into role playing without going through the awkward early stages.

Also, the term nerd is now more angled towards Windows gurus. Trust me on that one.  ;) I'm part of that club. (Alternately, geek is reserved by the Unix/Linux crowd.)

Chill! Stop me before I digress further!  ::butbut

:P

-Joseph

Stop taking me so literally, it was a joke. Maybe I need more smilies or maybe a joke tag? Like so:

<.joke>Why did the chicken cross the road?<./joke>

Hope that clarifies things, oh here are some smilies so my post isn't misunderstood.  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

• 3 weeks later...

i didn't read the whole topic, just the first and last pages, but i have a little bit of input that might be interesting.

i was, at this year's gencon (unfortunately the last in milwaukee), at a seminar by monte cook (familiar to the d20 fans) on game design, because my friends and i are currently in the rules task of designing a game setting.

one of the things he had to say about rules is, and i think joseph mentioned something along these lines, there is a spectrum for rules, with realism on one end, and fluidity on the other.  where you play is up to you.  d20 is closer to the realism end, while the st system is closer to fluidity.

personally, i prefer fluidity because i know how much it sucks having to look up every rule in the book while playing dnd 3e.  but boy was it fun when our mage grappled with an enemy mage.  battle of the wussies.  sorry, ot.

so, in my confused and convoluted way, i'm saying if the rules are too fluid/not fluid enough, change em.

Tribe 8 has an even shorter chart...

Flesh Wound, Deep Wound, Instant Death.

Instant Death is pretty self explanatory, but Flesh and Deep Wounds have 'threshholds' that if your damage roll exceeds, you cause one wound of that type. Flesh causes -1 to rolls, deep causes -2. When your total (-)'s is equal to or greater than your system shock (average of 6 for PCs) you go into shock and starty the dying process.

Increadibily gritty system. DP9 uses it for all their games.

Archived