Aberrant RPG - How fast can you go?

Asbjørn

Been looking through the book, wondering what kind of Aberrant character I'd like to play, and a thought struck me... How do the powers Flight and Hypermovement really correspond? It's relatively easy to figure out for combat movement, but what about outside of combat? Is the idea that all hypermovements are equal?

Combat movement doesn't add up either: Your basic flight-character isn't very fast. Quicker than a running nonhyper, but not much (dex5=35 m/action, flight1=44 m/a). But take a look at this: Assume a nova has hypermovement 5 for flying and running. He also has dex 5 and flight 1. Now the table has turned completely, cause if he flies he moves 74 m/a, but on the ground he's more than twice as fast! (185 m/a). Does this make any sense? has it been discussed before? Or am I missing something?

You are missing something.

The 35m for Dex5 is for a "sprinting" character.  If you actually want to move and then do something, then you have to move much slower.

Flight 1 is basic flight.  You are compairing the lowest level of flight with the higher levels of running.  Admitably it is cheaper to build a runner, but humans don't start with flight.

You are compairing the lowest level of flight with the higher levels of running.

Er.... I know. I'm the one who wrote it. ;) My point is that even at the lowest level of flight it's quicker than the highest level of running. But with hypermovement, running is much faster than flight. Does that make sense?

• 4 months later...

The difference is, as previously posted, humans can't fly.

Essentially, you're right, it doesn't make much sense if looked at from a numbers point of view. But, if you look at it from a thematic(or game developers) point of view, you gotta cough up more points to make Flight movement faster, ie, buy more levels of Flight or Quantum.

It's just cheaper to build a fast-running character than a fast-flying character.

Does that make sense?

• 4 years later...

It's just cheaper to build a fast-running character than a fast-flying character.

Does that make sense?

Yes, because flight has aditional advantages over running, especially if terrain is limited or if your character is capable of surviving interstellar environments. It should be more expensive to attain high flight speeds.

Archived