Adventure! RPG - Useful stuff

Asbjørn

Reality is a fun place. The more time I spend there, the more it surprises me. I like using real world events and persons to give the feel of a story, and to set a better framework, so I'm constantly on the lookout for new resources to make that job easier. You know any sites or books that other storytellers or players should check out? Post it here!

This site doesn't look very good, but when it comes to finding out what happened in the world on an exact date, it's the best I've found. Any better?

Also, for those of you who didn't know it, the Call of Cthulhu core book has some excellent timelines for inventions, mundane happenings and weird events. Haven't seen that text online, though.

I hope this can become a long and useful thread...

History Channel is good. So is '20th century day by day'. But the first one is the only one I've found where it's possible to look up a specific date and year and get an impression of what the newspaper of the day would look like.

Oh, and by the way... Ever get a creative block when you have to create NPCs on the fly? Names are always the hard part... This site gives you a new random name every three seconds. One more reason to have your laptop nearby when you play. :)

best name site i have ever seen http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk/

based on region, historical breakdown and naming parts/practices. also has surnames and some name meanings along with passing historical data on each region/culture. its actually a mirror of another site i found a long time ago thats been shut down two or three times for unknown reasons. sad that the mirror has such a terrible color scheme, i have to highlight everything to read it. still, endless wellspring for at least semi accurate regional names.

jake

• 5 months later...

Archived