Aberrant RPG - Post your Quantum Powers and Enh. here

CHILL

The "Uber-Power": Weird, cause I'm usually the one to recommend buying the powers seperately. Basically, the suite powers act as a reward of sorts to those who define a theme of closely knit powers, and I like to see that kind of thing continued. Thus, I think that some sort of Magic suite needed to designed, with a few "special" powers thrown in to take care of other issues.

Construct: Although there is "Animate" (under Molecular Manipulation), Quantum Construct is a better fit for summoning things. As Elemental Mastery allows you to create some of the applicable element, I saw nothing wrong with combining that ability defining it further through Quantum Construct, and then fixing it to a specific element as a limiting agent.

Projection: I wanted something that simulated the "astral projection" ability that so many comic book mages (cf Dr. Strange) have, and there aren't any real analogues.

Transmit: Although Warp (or even Teleport) could have worked, I suppose, I like the visual image of the melding into earth or shadow and coming up a hundred meters distant. You'll note that range has been decreased dramatically on it.

FR

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So in one fell swoop you have Q-Construct, E-Mastery, Transmit, and the Channel extra for Telepathy + ESP.

Going back a step...

Transmit: As a Level 3 power, this is useful on a worldwide level, it just takes time to transmit and as long as you have connectors. Thus, Antaeus could start in a redwood forest, and end up anywhere on the North American continent that he can logically coonect to via plants. My version (for the suite) is limited to Quantum+Power rating x10 meters, or, at best, 200 m. You don't need an intervening connection, but you do need some of the matter at both ends.

Channel: I'm not sure how it works (which book is it in?), however, I do feel that the Projection ability is limited enough to be a level 2 power. Basically, the idea was to create an ethereal, invisible form that couldn't affect the physical in any way, and would have the limit of having a vulnerable body. Basically, what I did was take two level 2 powers (Invisibility and Density Control (Decrease)), put enough limits on them to make them level 1's (Invisibility: Can be seen easier, and DC(D): more limits on powers that can be used, and can never just unphase a hand), and linked them, then put another weakness on that (comatose body).

I think I could cut it back to DC(D) 3, however...

Q-Construct: Um. Oops. I just compared my draft form with the posted version, and a couple of limits were taken out of the main power, which would have specifically weakened the Construct technique (don't ask; very silly! ::dozingoff ). However, limiting it to human-size, and only one construct, should be enough to limit it.

E-Mastery: Minor Difference: M-Mastery has 11 techniques, and a small color (ie, +/-) part. E-Mastery is usually allowed to combine with E-Anima techniques, giving it 11 techniques, plus a serious advantage (the ability to create matter). I think the two are balanced ::sneaky2 ... (Yes, you can argue that I can add more techniques; so can anyone with E-Mastery...)

Okay, I now have (I hope) three level 2 powers. Which I then combine into a suite power ::nervous ....and get Mystic Mastery ::smokin ...

Yes, you could get the individual powers, but I could argue that for Elemental Mastery as well. Basically, I created this suite to answer a percieved need (to many topics re: mages), and reward a tight character concept...Any ideas how to tighten it further?

FR

I still don't see why you can't just take Elemental Mastery - Magic, as per standard?

As Elemental Mastery allows you to create some of the applicable element, I saw nothing wrong with combining that ability defining it further through Quantum Construct, and then fixing it to a specific element as a limiting agent.

You best check over the Quantum Construct text again, since it's already limited to an obvious manifestation of Quantum powers, as defined by the Nova's specific special effects. It's, therefore, not limiting the Construct technique any more than Q-Construct is limited anyway. Also, the 'Animatation' technique I was refering to is actually an Elemental Mastery technique (from the APG) - so, again, no seperate power is needed to 'summon' stuff made out of the choosen 'element', it's all possible via normal EM.

The 'Channel' refered to is a listed Extra for Telepathy (in the main rule-book), which would effectively simulate the ability to use 'mental' powers over vast distances. The whole 'Astral Projection' thing really is almost perfectly simulated by the ESP power (you can perceive stuff at a distance, whilst not being seen in return, & you can't perceive your body at the same time).

As for the 'Transmit' technique - isn't that (in it's limited version as suggested) not just a type of 'Propel' technique (which isn't always 'Flight' by another name, but could be any type of movement ability that fits with the special effects of the element choosen for the EM)?

First, thanks to everyone for looking this stuff over! Once I get it a tad more polished, I'll re-post it...

I still don't see why you can't just take Elemental Mastery - Magic, as per standard?

Last time I want to answer this question ::crazy ...Every time this has been suggested, it seems to get shot down by the person asking the question (some stupid reason like, \"But that doesn't feel like magic\" (to which I usually go, \"Duh!\")...Strangely enough, I'm usually one those recommending either EM or WOD Sorcerer. SO, what I thought would be a good idea is to create a new suite that would incorporate \"standard\" comic book magecraft with other ideas so that when the debate comes up again (which it seems to do every three months or so, on either this forum or the White Wolf one) we can just refer them to the powers list here. ::wink So, no I don't want EM recommened again (not trying to be a jerk, it's just I can't think of a more diplomatic yet definite to say it). Unfortunately, although most of the powers are easy, there are three that aren't. Coincidentally...

As for the 'Transmit' technique - isn't that (in it's limited version as suggested) not just a type of 'Propel' technique (which isn't always 'Flight' by another name, but could be any type of movement ability that fits with the special effects of the element choosen for the EM)?

Basically, I wanted the nova to be able to meld into a shadow, and come out one nearby. Or two fires, or two computers. However, you could change it that way if you wanted. Burrowing or even Propel would also work...

You best check over the Quantum Construct text again, since it's already limited to an obvious manifestation of Quantum powers, as defined by the Nova's specific special effects.

Yeah and no. Yes, it's limited to appearing as a manifestation of the nova's special effects. No, the powers and mega-atts aren't. My \"Construct\" technique, however, is; any manifest power \"must be an acknowledged technique of Mystic Mastery\", thus eliminating all third+ level powers, and limiting the construct to whatever the nova in question has shown an ability to do in the past. Throw in the limited size (man-sized or smaller) and number (one only), and I think it's okay for a suite technique.

The 'Channel' refered to is a listed Extra for Telepathy (in the main rule-book), which would effectively simulate the ability to use 'mental' powers over vast distances. The whole 'Astral Projection' thing really is almost perfectly simulated by the ESP power (you can perceive stuff at a distance, whilst not being seen in return, & you can't perceive your body at the same time).

Obviously not a Doc Strange reader.... ::tongue The Channel extra allows a telepath to mentally attack a subject at any range), and Distant Scan (for ESP) allows the scanner to sit at home (got the book right here!) I don't want either.

What I am looking for is the ability to fall unconscious and send an astral form out of the nova, that can walk/fly to an area, act as a ghost, and potentially kill someone who tarries, but not allow for the astral form to interact with the real world (not even force fields!) A better way would be DC(D) (Weakness: Body (must leave and return within Stamina+Mega-Stamina hours) (a la Champions), but I need to allow for environmental effects (thus the Adaptation while using this), and I thought a limited Invisibilty would be apropos as well...But that's as per the comic books...

Is there a better way to simulate that?

FR

So, no I don't want EM recommened again (not trying to be a jerk, it's just I can't think of a more diplomatic yet definite to say it).

Also not wanting to be a jerk, but when you basically just re-list the techniques that EM has anyway what do you expect? It's just EM re-named to 'fool' those who don't think that 'magic' should be allowed as an EM (which would be a ST call in any case).

Yeah and no. Yes, it's limited to appearing as a manifestation of the nova's special effects. No, the powers and mega-atts aren't. My \"Construct\" technique, however, is; any manifest power \"must be an acknowledged technique of Mystic Mastery\", thus eliminating all third+ level powers, and limiting the construct to whatever the nova in question has shown an ability to do in the past. Throw in the limited size (man-sized or smaller) and number (one only), and I think it's okay for a suite technique.

So, uh... maybe I'm just being slow here... but why not use the Animation technique here? If it's just so that your 'Construct' can have powers beyond what the normal Animation technique provides then, pretty much by definition, it's too powerful.

Obviously not a Doc Strange reader....  The Channel extra allows a telepath to mentally attack a subject at any range), and Distant Scan (for ESP) allows the scanner to sit at home (got the book right here!) I don't want either.

What I am looking for is the ability to fall unconscious and send an astral form out of the nova, that can walk/fly to an area, act as a ghost, and potentially kill someone who tarries, but not allow for the astral form to interact with the real world (not even force fields!) A better way would be DC(D) (Weakness: Body (must leave and return within Stamina+Mega-Stamina hours) (a la Champions), but I need to allow for environmental effects (thus the Adaptation while using this), and I thought a limited Invisibilty would be apropos as well...But that's as per the comic books...

Is there a better way to simulate that?

Well, I have read a Doc Strange comic or two in my life & was specifically thinking of him in any case (I mean, come on, he's the archetypical comic-mage 'Astral Form' guy). So if I get ESP + Distant Scan ("...perfect for 'seeing through walls' or otherwise spying on people.") I can send my senses up to 1,000 km away in 15 minutes, whilst my 'body' can "... take no other actions, or even perceive his immediate surroundings...". Why can't I use the special effect 'astral form' for that power - like I said previously, it pretty much fits perfectly (my 'astral form' is invisible, can survive anywhere, can pass through walls, but can't do much apart from observe & maybe - if I've also got Telepathy + Channeling - use the odd 'mental' attack)?

That's all you really appear to be talking here - special effects. That doesn't require new powers to be made up, it's just an interesting way of defining existing powers. Using this same logic no-one would have 'Elemental Mastery', since each seperate version of that power, each special effect, would be listed as a different power (e.g. water mastery, fire mastery, flesh mastery, magic mastery, etc., etc.) - the same with all other powers too!

Maybe I'm missing the point you're trying to make here (it's been known to happen), but why not just use the powers as listed & define them for that character as 'magic'?

Sorry if I'm being offensive. It's just that every two or three months, someone wants to know "How would I do a mage in Aberrant?". A legitimate question, but when E-Mastery is suggested, it's pish-poshed, and ergo I wanted to create a suite power specifically for that sitch. In essence, yeah, E-M is the best solution; I'm not disagreeing with that by any stretch. It's just that, as an ST, I like to try to meet players halfway; if I'm going to deal with a player who wants to play a mage paradigm with a nova, I want to have something to deal with that ahead of time...

Animate vs. Construct: I need to look it up; I'll get back to this tomorrow.... ::sleeping

I think the problem I'm having with the ESP-Distant Scan is that it although it takes care of the basic problems, it doesn't allow for the form to be caught or attacked directly (problems the good doctor has had to deal with). I'm not worried about the Astral (or other) Planes (I can use mindscapes for that), I just want the mage to feel somewhat helpless and in hurry. Thus, the reasoning behind why a projection technique.... ::sarcasm

Seeya tommorow; gotta go kill players! ::devil

FR

Here's my version of an Astral Projection power..

Astral Jaunt

Level: 3

Quantum Minimum: 4, Must also have Telepathy 2 or greater.

Dice Pool : Perception + Astral Jaunt

Range: Special

Duration: Special

Effect: Character can separate their consciousness from their physical body.

Multiple Actions: No

Description: The Nova may separate his mind and perceptions from his body. While thus separated, the Astral Jaunt may travel freely, up to a maximum distance determined by successes rolled .

Astral Jaunt Distances

Successes Distance

One 2k

Two 20k

Three 200k

Four 2000k

Five 20000k

Each success beyond five multiplies distance by 10.

Astral Jaunt costs the user 3 Quantum a hour. While using Astral Jaunt, the Character is Invisible to conventional senses, Intangible ( As Density Decrease 5), and Flies at (Power rating x 8) + 40 meters per action; out of Combat the character flies at ( Astral Jaunt X 1000 kph ). The Character can be detected by powers that sense Quantum Energy or Mental presences, and is vulnerable to Mental Attacks. The character may use their Telepathy freely while using Astral Body. This power also leaves the characters physical body very vulnerable. While Astral, the character body is effectively Dormed Down ( as Dormancy 3) and cannot act, heal, or recover Quantum. If the body dies, the character continues to exist, but only for a short while, as the power continues to use. Quantum .When the Quantum is depleted, the character dissipates and is lost

The character is aware of the location and physical state of their body , and may return Instantly by making a successful Willpower roll. A failed roll means the character must take the time to fly back. A Jaunt interrupted ( By lack of Quantum or Instant return ) also inflicts Dice of bashing equal to Power rating to the Nova. This may be soaked.

Feedback please.

Technically the best existing 'Astral Form' power is Quantum Awareness (APG p.126), but that's out of most PC's range!

If you want the astral form to be vulnerable to certain attacks, then just rule it so (& still use ESP) - any attack that worked against the mind or sense would work in any case, if you could detect the guy was 'there'.

Quantum Awareness does the scrying effect well, but it's no astral projection; the key here is that I'm not looking at shifting senses, but the person's entire consciousness. Basically, he has to be able to have some minor effect on the area, and be able to commuicate with the people there.

I like Reighnhell's idea; that's exactly what I'm looking for. It has all of the requisite disads, with everything else that you find in comic book magecraft.

I'll probably end up going with a weakened version of Quantum Construct; it's tweaky, but does have the advantage that I can summon a slamander out of nowhere with a bang, which is more the effect I'm going for than building a fire, and then using it to summon something. Also, the construct is limited to shape as given; Animate allows for constant shifting.

Thanks guys!

FR

Quantum Awareness does the scrying effect well, but it's no astral projection; the key here is that I'm not looking at shifting senses, but the person's entire consciousness.

The concept of a "Quantum Consciousness" is used throughout the game to explain many of the powers - why can't it be used here? If you look at the game effects of ESP or Quantum Awareness then they have exactly the same effects as an astral form would - whether you picture them as being an 'astral form' or not is up to your definition of the power's special effects & how you picture it working.

The concept of a \"Quantum Consciousness\" is used throughout the game to explain many of the powers - why can't it be used here? If you look at the game effects of ESP or Quantum Awareness then they have exactly the same effects as an astral form would - whether you picture them as being an 'astral form' or not is up to your definition of the power's special effects & how you picture it working.

The problem is that, excluding sensory-affecting powers like Strobe, you can't affect a "qunatum consciousness", nor can it communicate with people at the scene. Part of the "astral form" is that it has been captured, injured, and otherwise damaged by people at the scene, and has been able to lead others around, as well as hold tactical sessions with them. Also, it's been able to fight back. A strictly sensory ability would not be able to do that.

Bottom Line: The person needs to be on scene itself. BUT to simulate the power properly, I need a body left behind. Mere sensory powers WILL NOT WORK in this situation.

For example: ESP-Distance Scanning leaves a body behind, but does not allow interaction of any sort, unless combined with Telepathy-Channeling. Quantum Awareness allows for a lot more sensory-wise, but you still need the Telepathy aspect.

Basically, given how common the power is, is there a way to either use a small number of powers to simulate it, or is creating a new power a better solution? I think the astral jaunt is the best solution so far, but how would you solve the problem in your campaign, using the parameters as given?

FR

Thanks for the quick reply, Alex. ::cool Your arguments about the "Arcane" quantum power being unbalanced sound convincing, except for one teensy-tiny little fly in the ointment.

Arcane simply will not function if the nova does anything to attract attention to him- or herself! ::devilangel

Face it- most novas crave the attention of other people like junkies hooked on crack cocaine desire nothing more than their next high. Literally- although there certainly are novas with sense enough to avoid inflating their own egos when it would be dangerous and/or self-destructive to do so; they are the minority, judging from the setting material.

Bottom line: this power will not function unless the nova makes the conscious decision to blend in with the locals and refrain from behavior and actions that would mark him or her as something other than Joe or Jane Sixpack. Once that's taken into account, the power doesn't seem unbalanced at all- it's subtle, if anything. Thanks for the notice, though- I'll revise the posted version to make the point graphically clear this time.

I stand by the double dipping comment.

RE: Mystic Mastery.

Let's reverse the question. Would it be reasonable to put a watered down version of transmit into E-Mastery? For some types off Mastery, I'd have to say yes.

For that matter, would it be reasonable to put a watered down version of Q-Construct into E-Mastery? Again, I'd say yes.

The problem is that, excluding sensory-affecting powers like Strobe, you can't affect a \"quantum consciousness\",

Unless you use a mentally-based power, since the character's 'consciousness' or 'mind' is on the scene - so Mental Blast could injure him, a Willpower based Immobilise could capture him, etc..

nor can it communicate with people at the scene.

It can with Telepath or Mental Link - what, you want something for nothing? Spend the NP & be done with it! ::wink

Part of the \"astral form\" is that it has been captured, injured, and otherwise damaged by people at the scene, and has been able to lead others around, as well as hold tactical sessions with them. Also, it's been able to fight back. A strictly sensory ability would not be able to do that.

Capturing & injuring it is covered above. Communication, yes, requires the use of another power (but then again, Dr Stange is supposed to how quite a few of those, right? ::wink ). As a 'Quantum power' ESP can be 'seen' via the Mega-Per Enhancement Quantum Attunement (with a few successes), so it could be perceived by the talented. ESP could also be used to simulate the astral form's use of other powers at the scene as well: all you need is the Increased Ranged Extra on the power to be used (long range then becomes 'line of sight' - anything you can see you can hit). Obviously you don't want to buy this Extra for all yoiur powers, right, so you either use the optional Maxing rules from the APG (where two Max successes can be used to add any applicable Extra to a power), or buy Node Spark (which is kinda' a 'super-Max' power anyway) & use that to add the Extra. Naturally it'll be difficult to use powers in this way (you're both concentrating on the ESP, & at long range, for a total of +4 Difficulty) but you do want to preserve game-balance & not make it too easy for our budding sorcerer supreme don't you? Using this method your astral form can 'cast' pretty much any 'spell' you have (as long as it has a range to start with) - is that good enough for you?

Bottom Line: The person needs to be on scene itself.

He is, just in mind, not in body - that's an astral form, right?

BUT to simulate the power properly, I need a body left behind. Mere sensory powers WILL NOT WORK in this situation.

Sure they will (see above) you just have to 'think outside the box' (to use an awful 80's business phrase) a little. Again, it's all down to special effects. E.g. two guy's with Quantum Bolt, both doing the same amount of Lethal damage, have powers with identical mechanical effects. Now, one shoots a 'flame bolt' from his mouth, the other fires 'ice shards' from his hand. The first may be able to use his power to ignite a fire, or as a make-shift flare, the second may be able to gather those shards as a source or water when stranded in a desert - that's the differing special effects at work. It works with all the powers, even ESP. E.g. Dr Pym has the amazing ability to talk to & control, ants - he uses it to get the ants to feed him sensory information from scenes many miles away - & buys that ability as the power ESP. Dr Strange has the ability to send out his astral form to spy on distant scenes - & also buys the power as ESP. The mechanical effects are the same, apart from the differing special effects. Those special effects may have differing impacts on the story on rare occassions (just like the Q-Bolt example above), but not enough to require a whole different power or set of rules.

Basically, given how common the power is, is there a way to either use a small number of powers to simulate it, or is creating a new power a better solution?

The alternative to ESP would be Density Decrease of at least 3 dots, Invisibility + Enhanced Effect (unless you can hear, smell & taste an astral form), Flight + Hypermovement + Extra Mode (he can astrally project at speed through water, right?), Mega-Stamina + Adaptabilty (he can survive anywhere in astral form), & you'd still need that Telepathy to talk to people (since the Density Decrease text says that you can't affect the tangible world in any way - & speech is the result of your vocal cords affecting the tangible world). You also wouldn't be able to use any of your powers on the tangible world either. So no, a 'small number of powers' just doesn't cut it (even if you pile on a Weakness for leaving the body behind).

Using ESP + Distant Scan as the astral form you get an astral form that can pass through solid matter, is invisible, can survive anywhere, travel in all three dimensions, moves at 4,000 kph (1,000 km per 15 mins), & (using the system explained above) with difficulty can affect the tangible world. All for your basic 5 NP per dot.

I'll leave you to compare & contrast... ::sly

RE: Mystic Mastery.

Let's reverse the question. Would it be reasonable to put a watered down version of transmit into E-Mastery? For some types off Mastery, I'd have to say yes.

For that matter, would it be reasonable to put a watered down version of Q-Construct into E-Mastery? Again, I'd say yes.

Yep, that's a much better way of looking at it. So...

... the 'Teleport' or 'Transmit' Technique:

To start with Techniques generally only simulate weaker versions of Level 2 powers, so we can't simulate Warp or Teleport / Transmit with any Extra (without adding the equivalent of 5 levels of Weakness, on top of the reduced power because it's a technique, to preserve game-balance), so we'll stick with the basic versions for now.

Looking at the various movement Techniques we can see that most (but not all) copy Flight; so the differences between the Techniques & Flight will be our basis for the conversion.

Flight grants a combat speed of (power rating x4) + 40 meters per action, a non-combat speed of (Quantum + Flight) x50 kph, several combat-related bonuses, & can be boosted via the Mega-Dex 'Enhanced Movement' Enhancement.

The movement Techniques (Movement, Propel, Gravitic Flight, Magnetic Levitation) grant a combat speed of (power rating x2) + 20 meters per action, a non-combat speed of (power rating x40 kph), no specific combat bonuses, & can't be boosted via Enhanced Movement.

The lack of combat bonuses & compatability with Enhanced Movement are minor points, but suggest that if we come to a point where we could decide either way then we should choose to make the new Technique less powerful (to prevent us from 'cheating' those who brought the fully-fledged power the Technique is based upon).

Combat speed is easy - it's half as powerful.

Non-combat speed is a bit more complex - there's no Quantum added in & the multiplier is 80%. It'll be simpler if we just don't add in Quantum & half the distances involved all round.

So, applying these conversions to Teleport & Transmit we get:

Teleport Technique:

Dice Pool: Perception + Elemental Mastery

Range: Self

Area: N/A

Duration: Instant

This technique allows the character to move without passing through the intervening space, disappearing at Point A & reappearing at Point B (as per the Teleport power). The player rolls Perception + Elemental Mastery. In combat or stressful situations a nova can teleport up to 50 meters per success. With a full turn to concentrate she may teleport a variable distance equal to half the equivalent distance indicated on the Teleport Distance chart (Aberrant p. 226). Unlike the Teleport power the character's Quantum is not added as additional automatic successes. Teleporting 'blind' requires the same rolls & suffers the same difficulties as listed under the Teleport power.

Transmit Technique:

Dice Pool: Perception + Elemental Mastery

Range: Self

Area: N/A

Duration: Instant

The character can travel through the medium of the choosen element, as long as it is interconnected, & not 'omnipresent' (such as air or earth). In combat the character can travel 25 meters per success on a Perception + Elemental Mastery roll. With a turn to concentrate the character can travel half the equivalent distance as indicated on the Transmit Distance chart (Project: Utopia p. 142) as based on her Elemental Mastery power rating. This distance can be covered automatically, & without any chance of missing the target, but takes an amount of time as indicated on the chart by the player's roll. At the Storyteller's option a character who's chosen element is either omnipresent or incontiguous can use this Technique at +5 Difficulty.

[This last option simulates the 5 levels of Weakness needed for the Broadband or Incontiguous Extras on Transmit, & makes the Technique applicable to more elements]

As for a Quantum Construct Technique, I'd still say that Animation is the best you're going to get without shooting game-balance all to hell. ::devil

Sure, but Animation needs some altering. Can E-C (Earth) create things from the ground? How strong? Same questions for E-C (Air). Obviously all objects would have to be made up of the relevent element and all powers would have to be in theme.

RE: Teleport as a technique.

I wouldn't allow this without exceptional justification. The ability to automatically get away from clinches, prisons, combat, etc is very strong even with a short distance. Since all E-Controllers would have access to this technique, this comes close to saying that no one with E-C can be locked up (short of Brarain).

I wouldn't allow this without exceptional justification. The ability to automatically get away from clinches, prisons, combat, etc is very strong even with a short distance. Since all E-Controllers would have access to this technique, this comes close to saying that no one with E-C can be locked up (short of Brarain).

To be honest I'd probably agree with you if it came up in a game, but remember that every EM can't necessarily use every EM technique - you can only use Techniques relevant to your chosen element.

I seem to remeber the Spacial mastery power mentions that Teleport and warp might be acceptable techniques for that power.

Yeah, that's one of those throwaway lines of text that haunt STs ::shocked - it could even be interpreted as meaning they can use the actual Powers of Teleport & Warp as Techniques with no modifications ::crazy ! Setting a precident of allowing full-powered Level 3 Powers as suite Techniques is a bad thing â„¢ ::sly ... But yes, that's kinda' why I chucked my Technique version of Teleport in there as well.

Looking at balance is why I went with Transmit over Teleport; Teleport is just *BAM*, you're there, whereas Transmit requires some of the material at both ends of the path, plus a contiguous line of it from Point A to Point B. Through in a limited distance, and I thought there were enough limiting factors to make it a good add.

The same applies to a watered-down Quantum Construct. Animate is a good fit, but not an exact one. Basically, Construct is far more dramatic than Animate; I can summon a bird of flame from the very air, versus having to build a fire first...I think it also fits a bit better (thus the limits on number and size, as well as which powers could be added to it).

As for the astral projection form, we're looking at it from two seperate persectives. Although I agree using either ESP+Distance Scan or Quantum Awareness with Telepathy+Channel simulates what the power can do, it just feels, well, weird, that I need two level two powers with extras to simulate something that could be better done with a single level three power (probably why I like the Astral Jaunt power).

Also, I know this overall subthread is weird, but it is bringing up some interesting points about suite powers...

FR

Although I agree using either ESP+Distance Scan or Quantum Awareness with Telepathy+Channel simulates what the power can do, it just feels, well, weird, that I need two level two powers with extras to simulate something that could be better done with a single level three power (probably why I like the Astral Jaunt power).

So you're advocating a single level 3 power that, at minimum, simulates two other level 3 powers? Seems a wee bit unbalanced to me... The ability to astrally project (al la Dr Strange) is an incredibly powerful (& potentially plot-wrecking) talent - is it so wrong that someone who wants that power should have to pay a little for it? A similar arguement can be applied to attempts to allow just about any power to be simulated by suite power techniques (which I recognise isn't your goal here) - at some point you have to say "No", bolster your reserves, & just buy the damned normal power outside of your suite. I know that suite powers are designed (partially) to reward good character / power concepts, but every character should have a linking concept for his or her powers anyway, whether they buy them in a suite or not - they shouldn't be an 'out' available that allows a character to be created that can do anything without paying the points (& thus preserving some semblance of game balance).

Take the Animation / Q-Construct thing. I'd agree that the Animation Technique probably needs some 'fleshing-out' as to what, exactly, it can do, but there's a huge jump from that Technique to a Q-Construct, even a 'watered-down' version. Q-Construct (the only way in-game, bar Mega-Int gadgeteering, to have theoretical access to any power) is a can-of-worms type of power to begin with. That's why it's the most limited / restricted power (pre level 4) in the game - it's a beast that you don't want to let out of your control. Allowing any other power to simulate Q-Construct's ability to generate Nova Points will have unbalancing effects on a game (trust me, I know how much abuse I can get out of even a single NP, & I'm sure most players are smarter & sneakier than I am). In such a case what you're doing is taking the 'suite' aspect of Q-Construct (it's sheer versitility) & placing that within another suite power. Sure you can add some further limits here & there, but if you still have the basic 'create NP' aspect to the power then you're keeping the unbalancing bit. All the 'creation' powers (Q-Contruct, Clone, Homunculus) are level 3 for a good reason, as are all the 'versitile' powers (like Shape Shift & Node Spark). Suite powers already have their own versitility, & that should really be enough. Any character that wants to 'summon' stuff should just shell-out the points for Q-Construct (it'll be worth it in the long run).

Never advocate thinking outside the box if you yourself are trapped in one...

Although astral projection can be a potential plot wrecker, it's only so if you allow the person using it to freely use it. That is, if instead of allowing for it, you let do what it does best. That's why I keep going to back to a "it needs to be you, not your senses" limit; I can trap the form, and then let the hero worry about dying as my plan unfolds. Read: Attempting to use a power as a plot device, specifically a timer. Not to mention that there are certain powers that ESP will see right through, like Holo (sure, there's a roll, but it's useless if I can scry past it...).

Essentially, I think that by putting a double limit on the power (near-comatose body at home, the rest of you abroad), the power is self-limiting. Sure, you can go anywhere, but you need to get home soon or your body is kaput. Even Prof. X has run up against that problem. Of course, you get problem characters like the Shadow King ::crazy , but hey...Basically, I think the power is worth trying to figure out as a new power.

Take the Animation / Q-Construct thing. I'd agree that the Animation Technique probably needs some 'fleshing-out' as to what, exactly, it can do, but there's a huge jump from that Technique to a Q-Construct, even a 'watered-down' version.

Keep in mind, I'm dealing with just putting a few limits on a third-level and making it into a second-level one, which is easy to do with weaknesses (as per APG). I'm looking for a specific effect, and this seems to be the best way to do it. The potential for a Node Spark does not apply in this case, however; it is, at best, adding more range (ie, distance, not scope) to the powers a character already has access to ("limited to acknowledged techniques", remember?). What I'm looking for is the ability to create a bird of flame that go a a little ways and attack a specific target while the nova is otherwise concentrating elsewhere. Construct appears to be the easiest way to do that. Trust me, I am very worried about balance, and I like what I've done here...

Is there better way to create my bird?

FR

Never advocate thinking outside the box if you yourself are trapped in one...

Ouch! Must... resist... urge... to... defend... honour... ::sly ::tongue

Astral Form:

Although astral projection can be a potential plot wrecker, it's only so if you allow the person using it to freely use it. That is, if instead of allowing for it, you let do what it does best. That's why I keep going to back to a \"it needs to be you, not your senses\" limit; I can trap the form, and then let the hero worry about dying as my plan unfolds. Read: Attempting to use a power as a plot device, specifically a timer. Not to mention that there are certain powers that ESP will see right through, like Holo (sure, there's a roll, but it's useless if I can scry past it...).

Ok, so you admit that astral projection is a potential plot wrecker. No-one said there was no way to avoid that, & that was hardly the point anyway. The point I was making was that it is a powerful ability - & should therefore cost a lot for a character to buy. Making it a cheap option is being blind to it's power.

There's no reason that you can't 'trap' (etc.) the ESP-based version of an astral form (I even went to the effort to point out exactly how you could do it within the existing rules). You still seem unable to recognise that even with an ESP-based astral form the character can be at the scene (in mind) - this whole 'you & not your senses' thing is the 'box' I mentioned you thinking in: you appear to be limiting your own perception of what the ESP power can be defined as.

I can't find any rules that mention ESP being able to see past Holo (or any other power) any better than normal senses (in fact, with a low roll on the power you can perceive less-well than normal). Could you give me a page reference, or is this a house rule you're refering to?

How often are your 'plot device' limits for the astral form going to come up? They aren't actual limits on the power if they're a part of the plot: limits on the power would make it less powerful at all times, not just once in a blue moon. Any power can be messed-about with as a 'plot device'; astral form would be no exception in this regard.

Essentially, I think that by putting a double limit on the power (near-comatose body at home, the rest of you abroad), the power is self-limiting. Sure, you can go anywhere, but you need to get home soon or your body is kaput. Even Prof. X has run up against that problem. Of course, you get problem characters like the Shadow King  , but hey...Basically, I think the power is worth trying to figure out as a new power.

So you take a 'Dependence' flaw (APG p.70) on being in your own body - no need to limit all astral-projectors in the same way (e.g. Doc Strange often spends entire stories in astral form - so it's unlikely he has a big 'time limit' on using the power). Why figure out a new power when an old one works perfectly?

Animation:

Keep in mind, I'm dealing with just putting a few limits on a third-level and making it into a second-level one, which is easy to do with weaknesses (as per APG).

Yep - 5 levels of weaknesses to make it level 2, & Techniques are supposed to be even weaker than the equivalent level 2 powers. As I pointed out before limiting the construct to being made out of a certain element is not a weakness (since that's already a part of the Q-Construct power).

Is there better way to create my bird?

What, you mean apart from actually buying Q-Construct & not trying to squeeze the extra power out of an already powerful suite power? ::confused

I agreed that the Animation Technique (APG p. 111 for those following at home...) needs some clearing up, so let's look at that...

... The Technique seems to read as though it animates existing material. However that would make it an Elemental Anima Technique (pretty much by definition), & it's listed as an Elemental Mastery Technique (all of which create the element in question - that's kinda' the point of EM after all). So, we can probably say that Animation creates the element it needs (up to the listed amount) - (the text problem may well have come in as it was cut 'n' paste from the Molecular Mastery power...). Most of the creation's stats are left to the ST to decide, but we have a few guidelines we can work with:

Mass / size - 100 kg solid / liquid or 2 cubic meters gas / intangible, per success

Speed - (a rather pitiful) half walking speed

Shape - it can reshape itself freely (but no fine manipulation & no extra bonuses from shape alone)

Dexterity - equal to creator's Wits

Strength - based on Material Strength (p.257), or on Intelligence of the creating Nova for insubstantial elements (&, strangely, only for 'non-damaging maneuvers')

Resistance - same as the element would normally have

Some of this (such as the naff speed & the weird wording for 'non-damaging' Int'-based Strength) is problematic, other parts are helpful.

Looking at the Material Strength Chart we get the substance's base Soak & number of Health Levels. Since HL is 'per cubic meter' the creation will most likely end-up with lots of them. Depending on ST wishes Strength should probably equal Soak or, for a more powerful game, base HL (Strength above 5 becoming Mega-Str).

Looking a bit further afield we can steal some rules from Sizemorph (Grow) (p.222). We use Sizemorph rather than Density Control because the overall density of the substance is remaining constant, no matter how large it is. At 8x mass a Sizemorphed character gets +2 Str', +1 Sta', & +1 HL. At 64x mass (2 dots worth) he's +1 die to be perceived or hit by opponents. Now, HL are already covered by our creation's size, so we're mostly looking at increased Str' (& possibly Sta' / Soak). So, at x3.375 mass we can reasonable grant +1 Str, +2 (total) at x8 mass, +3 at x27 mass, +4 at x64 mass, etc. (& +1 Soak per +2 Str) - most likely the higher amounts will never come up (as each 'x mass' is one success' worth).

For intangible elements I suggest that the phrase 'non-damaging maneuvers' be replaced by 'non-physical maneuvers', since using a gas-creation as an Asphyxiation attack seems like a natural thing to do, & a fire creation would probably inflict burning damage, etc.. In these cases the character's Int' would provide the base damage / Strength, & be modified by the amount of the element created (see last paragraph). Intangible elements also probably don't need HL as such - specific attacks to get rid of them would just remove a number of successes / volume of element (e.g. using a fire hose on a fire creation would remove some of the creation's volume).

To address the limited speed problem I suggest going back to the original Molecular Mastery Technique & allowing the EM creations to move at half the Nova's running speed for an extra QP. It also doesn't state ground-based movement only - certain elements (such as fire or gas) may well be able to move at that rate through the air.

Note that Animation is a Concentration duration power, but it doesn't state that the character must spend all her time 'puppeting' the creation (she'd just take the normal +2 Difficulty on any other actions she took at the same time). The statement that the creation can 'reshape itself' actually implies some kind of independant action, but that'd be a ST call. That ability to reshape also covers many interesting effects that a player may want their creations to use. Each creation, obviously, is limited to controling it's own mass / volume, so using other Techniques or powers is right out. What it can do is simulate some of those things by manipulating it's form. E.g. you create your flame-bird & want it to 'breath fire' on an opponent: it can't generate any more fire than it itself is composed of, but it can shift it's form so that some of it's 'body' is projected as 'flame breath' that engulfs the target (before reforming into the main mass again) - it looks similar to an Elemental Blast, but keeps within the creation's own limits.

I hope you can work with all that: it's an existing Technique that allows you to...

create a bird of flame that go a a little ways and attack a specific target while the nova is otherwise concentrating elsewhere

... amongst many other things. ::biggrin

Now I remember why I like Champs so much ::bigsmile ...

1) Someone using ESP is not necessarily immune to Holo; instead, the illusion created is going to be much less effective against someone who is zooming past it rather than having to potentially fight it. Read: With ESP I can scan past it and essentially ignore it, just as I would bodygaurds; neat trick, but no effect.

However, in person, especially if it was acting like it saw me, I would have to deal with. Given no smell or touch on my part, that it was just sight and/or sound would not be as big a giveaway as it normally would be. I have to deal with it, at least on some level.

Basically, an ESP-based AF has a lot of differences, at least perceptionally, than a true AF...

2) And if you think Astral Jaunt is a plot-wrecker, try ESP...and I don't even have the advantage of something to torture...

3) I will give you the animate, however. It would have been a quicker debate if, at some point, you'd mentioned the "if the form has any special abilities, it may use them" part...That was, essentially what I was looking for...Of course, I should have gone over the power with a fine-toothed comb myself....

FR

Basically, an ESP-based AF has a lot of differences, at least perceptionally, than a true AF...

Again, ESP is just the power used to construct an 'Astral Form' ability (just like Quantum Bolt may be the power used to construct a 'fire blast' ability or an 'optic concussion beam' ability) - it's no less 'true' than any other Astral Form ability you may wish to invent.

As for skipping past Holos - like you say, it's no more or less effective than avoiding any- & every- thing else! In fact, a Holo is more convincing to an ESPer if that ESPer has rolled only a few successes & fails to notice the lack of smell or sound or whatever the Holo's flaws may be. Sure he may ignore it himself, but he'll then return to his mates & report that there's a huge pink dragon (or whatever) guarding the castle... ::sly

2) And if you think Astral Jaunt is a plot-wrecker, try ESP...and I don't even have the advantage of something to torture...

I refer you back to my last post on the whole 'plot-wrecker' thing.

Yes, you can torture an ESP-based Astral Form (if you really want to & buy the correct powers) - buy Quantum Attunement (to see it), a Willpower-based Immobilise (to trap it), & a Mental Blast (to damage it). Where's the problem? The guy's consciousness / mind is there after all.

3) I will give you the animate, however. It would have been a quicker debate if, at some point, you'd mentioned the \"if the form has any special abilities, it may use them\" part...That was, essentially what I was looking for...Of course, I should have gone over the power with a fine-toothed comb myself....

Actually that's part of the Molecular Manipulation Animation technique, not the EM version. However, it's probably a good idea to use that for the EM version too (as long as you're only using the element's special abilities - such as fire burning - rather than the Nova's special abilities - such as EM techniques).

ABERRATION (MEDUIM LEVEL):

Lost in time:

A nova with this aberration cant tell the difference in times he is in. It mostly affects nova's with time manipulation powers and with premonition powers. He will start "slipping" in and out of different times. One second he is in the presant...the next he could think he is 50 years in the past ("What are them flying things?") and in a few minutes he is in the future ("So...were you suprised to learn that it was actually XXXX that killed slider" *followed by looks from comrads*)

Just something that popped out of my head here...have what you will with it.

This is off topic as far as new stuff goes but I didn't want to start a new thread.

Does anyone else think that the enhancements Persuader (Mega-manipulation) and Natural Agitator (Mega-charisma) should be swaped? ie. Persuader (Mega-charisma), Natural Agitator (Mega-manipltion).

I know they work as they are but I see them being closer suited to the other mega attribute.

I see natural agitator as crowd control - the rabble rouser turning a peaceful demonstration into a riot not through feeding them lies (manipulation) but by sheer presence and... well... charisma. It's anything from the President's cheesy speech in Independance Day to rouse the troops, to Hitler at his rallies, to that Roman dude in Gladiator talking to his men before the battle.

I don't know if that's accurate rules-wise, or how that compares to other people's perception of it - but that's how I've played it with my character, and in that fashion it's better suited to charisma than manipulation.

But the thing about Natural Agitator is that it 'forces' (resisted will roll) one or many people in any situation, that to me screams manipulation. Whereas Persuader merely makes them more inclined to do as or agree with the nova using it. I don't know, it's been a while since I've read the enhancements so I might be wrong.

Persuader:

A nova with this enhancement is an expert at bringing people around to his point of view. He has an innate talent for knowing what people are thinking and subtly manipulating their opinions until they are thinking what he want[sic] then to think. He's a spin doctor supreme.

Natural agitator:

When people like you, sometimes they will do things for you, or things that you ask them to do. That's doubly true for a nova with this power. Since everybody likes him so much, they'll hang on his every word. If he tells them to do something, they'll seriously consider it.

Hey there, folks- ::smiley5 Nice to see all the activity that's been going on around here while I was away!

While in the midst of cleaning up old and ragged power descriptions (to be posted later), I came across a slight problem that should be tailor-made for the Aberrant system, but has yet to be addressed.

Namely, how does one account for the nova/mutant/paranormal who matures mentally and psychologically at a truly frightening rate, while still physically remaining a small child? Theodore Sturgeon (in his novel More Than Human) came up with an inventive genius who invented practical antigravity technology while still in the cradle! Then there's Erin Stonebender (from Callahan's Key, the latest in Spider Robinson's Callahan's series), who can outhack the NSA, DIA, DoD, FBI, and CIA without breaking a sweat at fifteen months. ::crazy Yoicks!

GURPS has an advantage that seemed to reflect this called "Early Maturation", but all it did was effectively halve the time it took for a child to reach adulthood for every level of the advantage taken. What should we use to portray these people who have adult mentalities in infantile (or merely childish) bodies? ::unsure

I'm open to suggestions here folks...

You mean something like this...

Child [ 4 point flaw] - The Nova is between 9 and 13 years of Age. In addition to various social restrictions the character is still immature , both physically and mentally. The character loses 2 dots of Physical attributes, with a maximum strength of 2, maximum dexterity and stamina of 4. The character also loses 6 dots of Skills, with no higher than two dots in any skill*. The character also has the Flaw Short. Limitations may be overcome with bonus points and Nova points.

A 6 point version of this flaw makes the Nova even younger ( between the ages of 4 and 8). The character loses an additional point of physical attributes, with a maximum strength of 1 , maximum stamina of 3, and a maximum manipulation of 4. The Nova also loses an additional 4 dots of skills and the "Bruised" health box.

* the character may spend bonus points and nova points to go above this cap.

Exactly...I ::inlove you, Reighnhell.....But I'd bring it down to 3, and allow ((Int+Mega-Int)x2) dots to be spent above the 2 dot cap, to better represent the child prodigy...

It's worth noting that with just one NP you eliminate the skill issue, at least as far as the decreased number of dots...

FR

okay, a new rough power to chew over

Taint Burn

Level: 2

Quantum Minamum: 3

Dice Pool: Dexterity + Taint Burn

Range: (Quantum + power rating x 10 meters)

Area:N/A

Effects: Inflicts [Targets Taint] levels + (power rating x2) Leathal Damage, reduces temporary taint.

Multiple Actions: Yes

Description: Taint Burn is a distant relation to Quantum bolt, but whereas Quantum bolt can affect anyone, baseline and nova alike, Taint Burn can only affect Tainted Nova's. It uses the Tainted nova's own quantum backlash and catalyses it into damaging effects within the targets flesh. However, this does have a positive effect, because each 2 levels of damage that are suffered, it removes 1 point of temporary taint.

Extras: None

Okay, be cruel (but not that cruel) ::smiley4

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought I should add a little something to this thread, since it seems a bit quiet, and fiddled about a bit until I came up with these. I posted Yin-Yang to N Prime ages back, but it has vanished from that site now and since someone here has already mentioned it once...

Yin Yang (Mega-Appearance Enhancement)

Ever wanted to see how the other half lives? Those Nova's possessing this enhancement can do so as they can change their sex at will. The change is a complete one; internal organs are changed along with the more obvious features and even your scent changes.

This enhancement is also very handy when being pursued, as few people normally confuse male and female bodies. Note, however, that this ability to change gender does not cause any additional radical changes in appearance; both sexes have similar features, and look sufficiently alike to be siblings.

System: It takes roughly one minute to make the change from one gender to the other and does not require a roll. However, an Appearence roll can be made to cut this time in half.

It costs one quantum point to activate Ying Yang, but once the change is complete there is no need to maintain this enhancement. It is as if the nova had always been of that gender.

Symphony of Touch (Mega-Manipulation Enhancement)

Despite what some people may think, a way with words is not the key to successfully manipulating people. The key I knowing how to get the reaction you want from someone despite what they might originally think. A nova with this enhancement has learned to get the reactions they wish from another's body rather than their conscious mind, knowing where to press to cause suffering and where to stroke to engender involuntary desire.

While this enhancement is only useful when the nova can touch the person that they wish to effect, a holding someone close during a dance or other similar situations could easily mask it use. Due to the possibilities it engenders, it is useful to lovers and torturers alike.

System: When the nova wishes to effect someone with this enhancement they must make a Manipulation roll. For each success they may add one dice to any roll to influence the target in a situation such as seduction or torture, where it can be blatantly or subtly presented as a stick or a carrot.

One quantum point will power this enhancement for the entire scene for each separate individual it is used on.

Pavlov's Bell (Mega-Charisma Enhancment)

The mood of a nova who possesses Mega-Charisma can have an effect on those about them, their approval arousing a warm and "good" feeling in others. Those nova's who have developed this enhancement have learned to focus this effect in a useful manner, using their approval at a lesson learned to help other concentrate on the nova is teaching.

There is a darker side to this though as the same effect can be used to literally train people into reacting in a certain manner when presented with a certain stimulus, like Pavlov's dog salivating upon hearing the sound of a bell.

System: The nova may add a number of dice equal to their Mega-Charisma rating to any Animal Training or Teaching rolls they make, whether made to instruct a single individual or a group.

By focusing this enhancement on an individual, the nova may instill a certain reflex into that being regardless of whether they know they are being trained or not. Each time the appropriate stimulus presents itself and the subject reacts in the desired manner in the nova's presence, the nova may spend a quantum point to "reward" the subject and rolls Charisma. After a number of successful rolls equal to the subject's Willpower have been made in this manner, the subject must spend a Willpower when presented with the stimulus or reflexively react in the same manner. Once instilled, the new reflex remains until the nova ceases reinforcing it at least once per week and one day per point of Charisma or Mega-Charisma the nova possess beyond that.

One quantum point will power this enhancement for the scene but, as noted above, an additional point must be spent on each occasion an individual's behaviour is "reinforced".

Edit: Corrected error in Pavlov's Bell.

Hello again, everybody. While digging through the box of worn and often barely legible papers left from my old gaming group's campaign, I came across this little gem. As a serious anime fan, I simply couldn't resist posting it here for your amusement! Enjoy! ::devilangel

BTW, welcome to EON, Glitch! I'm the name-dropper you mentioned- and it looks like you've come up with a few more winners in the enhancements department. ::hehe Glad to have you around here. ::thumbsup

(Game Mechanics Note: This was created prior to the release of the Guide To The Traditions Sourcebook for MAGE- having just now found it at a used bookstore, I've reworked this more or less as an Adversarial Background from that book. For purposes of acquiring and buying off levels of Suitors with experience points, simply treat it as gaining a normal background in reverse. Gaining 5 dots of Suitors would grant either 1 nova point or 5 bonus points, while buying off a level would have an experience point cost of the current rating x 2. The final dot of Suitors can be bought off for 2 experience points. If the character is unlucky enough to be further burdened with the Ladybait/Siren background enhancement, buying off the enhancement costs 12 experience points.)

New Adversarial Background- SUITORS

For some people, matters of the heart are much more complicated than normal. Whether it's due to being too attractive for one's own good, arranged betrothals, or simple twists of fate, a character with one or more Suitors will experience situations worthy of any daytime soap opera. While Shakespeares' quip that "the course of true love never did run smooth" may be a hackneyed cliche nowadays, it's still true enough to make for some very interesting roleplaying situations. As this is an adversarial background, the Storyteller can apply it to a character if she deems it appropriate. (A sufficiently masochistic player may ask to apply this to his or her own character, but must still gain the Storyteller's approval to do so.)

Romantic cliches aside, a character with this adversarial background seems to possess a near-irresistible attraction for obsessive members of the opposite (and possibly certain members of his or her own) gender. An infatuated individual will fall hopelessly in love (or lust) with the character, refusing to let go of her and unwilling to give her a moment's peace. If one or more rivals for the character's affections show up (usually other suitors), any suitor worth the designation will fight them in order to prevent them from consummating their relationship with the character. What's more, each and every suitor will have an ultimate goal for the character in mind- one that usually involves either standing before a wedding altar or renting a private hotel suite for the weekend...

This does not directly reflect any unusual charisma on the character's part, although she must have either Appearance or Charisma at 3 or more dots to qualify for this adversarial background. Rather, this indicates the character's fate to constantly meet obsessive people. She must also have a sufficiently plausible history to justify having encountered all those lovesick loonies. For instance, a character who's spent all of his life in an isolated monastery will not have had nearly enough of a social life to qualify. Finally, the character should neither be written nor played as a heartless, unsympathetic creep who would take advantage of a suitor's affections when it's convenient to do so. Such a loathsome person would never attract suitors in the first place.

What differentiates this from the True Love Merit is that for one reason or another, the character is guaranteed to find something objectionable each and every one of his or her suitors. The specific reason should vary with each individual suitor, but it will be enough to make the idea of marriage (or whatever other designs the suitor has on the character) somewhat less than appealing. Of course, most suitors won't take "no" for an answer, but will instead redouble their efforts to gain the character's affections.

It is possible for a character to have both the Suitors Backgound and the True Love Merit! In such a case, the character's true love will typically be one of his (or her) Regular suitors. While this suitor would be expected to have a much better shot at winning the character's heart, personality conflicts between the two of them will stand in the way of consummating their relationship if the other suitors don't!

The possibilities offered by this adversarial background are endless. A nova businesswoman could discover that one of her male rivals has fallen for her. A well-meaning grandmother could attempt to set her grandson up with a girl that she considers to be a perfect future bride for him- without considering his opinion on the matter. Characters from Eastern cultures could find themselves saddled with an betrothal arranged by their families. (The Japanese custom of omiai is an infamous example of this situation.) A female character could find herself being stalked. The lonely girl next door could decide that watching the guy of her dreams through his bedroom window simply isn't enough for her anymore. An attractive young coed could inflame the passions of her college professor. The young woman whom the character saves from a suicide attempt could easily come to see him as her knight in shining armor. Cupid's arrow could simply strike a suitor like a bolt out of the blue. And so on, ad infinitum...

Suitors come in three varieties, each presenting their own brand of headaches for the hapless character. It's quite possible to be afflicted with more than one variety; the details are presented below.

Regulars are what people usually imagine when thinking of a suitor: a person whose constant presence in the character's life proves to be almost as much of a help as it is a hindrance. Roughly equivalent to the character in terms of capabilities, Regulars are the type of suitor who are the most serious about their relationship with the character. As such, the character can occasionally treat a Regular suitor as an Ally- with the provision that the Regular will always expect romantic favors in return for his or her aid. The typical form such a favor takes is the classic date, although there's no telling what lengths a Regular might go to in order to win the character's affections. Note: Regulars are by definition the kind of suitor that are hands-down the most tenacious in their pursuit of the character's affections, and have to be well-developed characters in their own right in order to do them justice. If the players and Storyteller are all comfortable with the idea, a chronicle could revolve around Regular suitors and their conflict over a mutual beloved, with the player characters playing the parts of the suitors and the hapless object of their affections. Hey, if it worked for the scriptwriters who produced Tenchi Muyo! and Escaflowne, (two anime series that do an excellent job of portraying male and female characters with this background, respectively), then there's no reason it couldn't work for you...

Occasionals are just that: suitors who show up every once in a while in the character's life. In soap opera terms, one could think of them as guest stars or extras. They can range from roughly equivalent to somewhat less than the character in terms of capability. While more numerous than Regulars, they are also somewhat less obsessive about the character. While no suitor is easily brushed off, Occasionals will accept that their love is unrequited with significantly less fuss (and without spending experience points!). Occasionals make up for this lack of individual nuisance value with their sheer numbers- if a character manages to dissuade one Occasional, another one will inevitably crop up to take his place.

Love (or lust) can make fools of us all, and Heavyweights are no exception. Heavyweights are the rarest variety of suitor, and for very good reason. They are by definition superior to the character in terms of capability, making a well-crafted explanation about why the Heavyweight is in love with the character an absolute necessity. As a result, the Storyteller has the final say on whether this variety of suitor can be taken. Rough guideline: there had better be something pretty darn special about the character to justify having a heavyweight suitor! Suitors at this level aren't going to fall in love with just any pretty young thing. Heavyweight suitors take the problems associated with this adversarial background to a whole new level. For instance, what consequences will the character face as a result of becoming the focus of the Heavyweight's affections? How will the Heavyweight react if the character rejects her affections? Does the Heavyweight have enemies who wouldn't hesitate to strike at her by harming the character? Such is Love in the big leagues... (Note: For a baseline, a nova suitor would have to be classified as a Heavyweight.)

Due to their relative power, Heavyweights are more difficult to deal with than either Regulars or Occasionals, and so are worth more in terms of Background dots. A Heavyweight will show up less frequently than other suitors since they often have obligations and concerns beyond their love life, but inevitably makes more of an impact in the character's life when she does show up. Whether this impact takes the form of deep ripples or a messy splash depends on the situation. In about one in a trillion cases, a character could have two Heavyweight suitors after him! In the extremely unlikely case that a reasonably sane Storyteller lets this happen, the hapless character could easily wind up as the prize in the resulting tug-of-war between his Heavyweight admirers. For the classic version of this in Greek Mythology, check out the conflict between Aphrodite and Persephone over the affections of Adonis.

It's best for characters with high (5+) levels of the Suitors adversarial background to have a mix of suitor types. The most common (and most workable) blend is to have a few Regulars and many Occasionals. Mixing Heavyweights into the mess demands careful handling by the Storyteller, but that's usually par for the course where they're concerned. Unless the Storyteller is prepared to deal with a character who has a veritable harem of admirers, it's best to limit the maximum number of Regulars to four or five.

The only means of getting rid of unwanted suitors is through "buying off" this background with experience points and good roleplaying- usually represented by choosing a suitor and forswearing all others. Suitors that are also True Loves, Allies, Followers, or Contacts are not exempt from this- the personality conflict must be resolved!

Please note that this is NOT a cheap equivalent of either the True Love Merit or the Allies, Contacts, or Followers Backgrounds! Suitors are just that- people whose main goal is to get intimate with the character, all too often without any considerations for the character's feelings on the matter. If the player wants her character's suitor to be able to provide anything more substantial than a night of intimate entertainment (complete with the damnable consequences), she should buy the Suitor as a True Love, Ally, Follower, or Contact to reflect that particular suitor's higher calibre.

Dots-------Regulars---------Occasionals--------Heavyweights

0-----------For good or ill, nobody is really interested in you.

1-----------one--------------------5--------------------none

2-----------two--------------------10------------------none

3-----------three------------------15------------------none

4-----------four--------------------20------------------none

5-----------five---------------------25-----------------one

6-----------six----------------------30-----------------one

7-----------seven------------------35-----------------one

8-----------eight-------------------40-----------------one

9-----------nine---------------------45----------------one

10---------ten-----------------------50----------------two

Background Enhancement: LADYBAIT (male), or SIREN (female)-

"Pardon me, Mademoiselle Evans, but Mr. and Mrs. Weatherly would like to have a word with you."

"What's the problem, Claude? The party's only just now started."

"Oui, but there's a horde of young men at the door, and they're all saying that you invited them."

If a character has 5+ dots of the Suitors adversarial background, the Storyteller may see fit to "award" such a romantically devastating individual with this Background Enhancement. This reflects the fact that either the character's suitors are much more passionate about pursuing her (and competing with each other over her), or that there are many more suitors after the character than her Suitors rating indicates.

If this enhancement reflects a qualitative increase, the character's suitors are even more obsessive about the character than is normal with this adversarial background. They will not betray their friends, their ethics, or their sense of self-preservation for the sake of winning the character's love (or getting into the character's pants). The same cannot be said about sacrificing their careers, wealth, and/or dignity! As a basic guideline, such suitors will toss their common sense right out the window where the character is concerned. (That is, if they had any in the first place...) This version of the enhancement is best suited for chronicles with either a humorous or a highly romantic tone- although being the target of so many highly obsessive people can be very frightening, even for a nova...

If this reflects a quantitative increase, then the character may have literally hordes of suitors- and the character generally won't have a clue as to who they are! Movie stars and popular rock musicians are good real-life examples of this situation, as they can have literally thousands of admirers who would jump at the chance to get "up close and personal" with their beloved idol. In game terms, this is a radical increase in the number of Occasional suitors that the character may have. The exact number is up to the Storyteller, and should be tailored to the character's circumstances. A lady adventurer from the Roaring Twenties could plausibly have a hundred charming (and not-so-charming) men after her, while the hunky male lead vocalist in a 1980s-era rock group could have thousands of adoring female fans who would do almost anything for a backstage pass...and a chance for a private session with him!

More stuff is on the way, folks... eventually. ::dozingoff

Archived