Aberrant RPG - Post your Quantum Powers and Enh. here

CHILL

As to a new power, I was thinking of making Quantum Supression, although I haven't worked out the details yet. It would allow the user to make a field in which it was harder to use quatum. The game effect I had in mind was making quantum powers cost more to use. I am thinking it would up the cost of any power used in the area of effect by one quantum point per sucess on a quantum+power rating role. i was thinking it would be a level two power. What do you guys think?

Ok, the closest thing I can think of is Disrupt. Thats Level 2, with a Quantum Minimum of 3, only effects 1 target & 1 power, & is resisted by Quantum + Node.

Quantum Leech may also be relevant: Level 2, Quantum Minimum of 2, resisted by Willpower, & steals Quantum + power rating Quantum points.

So, based on that & your suggestion I'd go for something like:

Quantum Supression

Level: 2

Quantum Minimum: 3

Dice Pool: Intelligence + Quantum Supression

Range: (Quantum + power rating) x 10 meters

Area: N/A

Duration: Maintenance

Effect: Disrupts the target's use of Quantum, resulting in a higher cost whenever Quantum points are spent.

Multiple Actions: Yes

Description:

The nova spends the Quantum points & rolls Intelligence + Quantum Supression, the target may resist with a Quantum + Node roll. Each net success over the number of successes achieved by the target increases the number of Quantum points the target must spend (for any reason) by 1.

[Note: to make this an area supression just add the Area Extra]

Just a suggestion mind, I wouldn't want to steal your thunder. ::smile

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Background - Nova Gadget

Ok, the closest thing we have to a Gadget in Aberrant is Eufuber, so let's see how that works in game mechanics terms: Stores 1 Quantum point per dot, is considered Attuned, grants 1 Soak per stored QP, grants minor effects (with Weave) of up to (dots) number of successes.

Now, looking at the basic Soak Power - Armour - we see that during character generation we get +3 Soak per 3 Nova Points spent. This gives us a helpful scale for our purposes: 1 NP = +1 Soak. Eufiber therefore grants the equivalent of 1 NP worth of power per QP stored.

So, for our "Nova Gadget" we have the following rules:

1. The Gadget can store 1 Quantum point per dot.

2. The Gadget is considered Attuned to it's owner.

3. The Gadget, whilst it contains Quantum points, grants 1 Nova point worth of Powers per dot.

4. The Gadget can grant additional minor effects with a success limit equal to the number of dots in the Background.

To this I suggest we add (for balance sake):

5. The Powers provided by the Gadget are limited to those with a Quantum Minimum of equal or less than the number of dots in the Background.

Looking at the Artifact Background Enhancement from Adventure! we see that at 6 dots most aspects of the Background are double those at 5 dots. So, for "Nova Artifacts" we have:

1. Can store up to 10 Quantum points.

2. The Artifact is considered Attuned to it's owner.

3. The Artfact, whilst it contains Quantum points, grants 10 Nova points worth of Powers.

4. The Artifact can grant additional minor effects up to a maximum of 10 successes.

5. The Artifact can possess Powers of up to Quantum Minimum Six.

An Artifact (super-rare I'd guess) can therefore grant a Level 4 Quantum Power (which, if we keep the scale going, costs 7 Nova points), + 3 Nova points more worth of Power.

Not too shabby, but still pretty rules-balanced.

So, for example, a "Green Lantern's Ring" style Nova Artifact may have "Elemental Mastery - Emerald Energy" (+ Reduced Quantum Cost + Mastery 1) 1 dot, & Adaptability (for the guy using it), plus a minor effect "detect stuff" (the Ring's wielder can detect a variety of energy types & such things over an undefined area with a Perception + Awareness roll, & a maximum of 10 successes). The fuel (Quantum points) for the powers would come from the guy wearing the Ring. Not a perfect simulation to be sure, but one that seem reasonable by standing Aberrant rules.

::biggrin Stealing my thunder Prof. Potts, you just saved me some work!

Also, we jut had a new pc come into the game who has a interesting variant of Bodymorph. Instead of becoming some energy type, the is transformed in to the crinos/ killing machine form of a werewolf. The power works on the same rules as Bodymorph, with one of the dots going to Face of Terror to represent the big wolfish nastyness.

So you want to make a werewolf now huh???

Mega strength: 1 (they're f*ing strong) quantum leap ( to simulate gift leap of the kangaroo/hares leap)

Mega dexterity: 1 with enhanced movement (speed boost from rage)

Mega stamina: 3-5 with regeneration and hardbody (fur), resiliancy later (to simulate lunars armour gift)

Mega apearance: 1 with face of terror (simulates delirium)

Mega perception: 1

Claws: 2 with the agrivated extra.

Shapeshift: 1 ( i guess)

background Dormancy: 1-5 (you decide)

Taint flaw: vulnerability to silver

Ok the best thing about werewolves is that they start out really tough, the bad thing is that they don't get that much better, they get new powers (gifts) and that's only if they have been doing well throughout the game and constantly earn renown so they can get to the apropriate rank before they can be taught those gifts.

I wouldn't allow a Bodymorph into a Werewolf, simply because Bodymorph changes the character's substance, rather than form. That brings with it certain advantages & disadvantages that balance the power.

For a Werewolf I'd either go with Shape Shift + a Weakness (only the 5 Werewolf forms, extra successes go to specific traits), or a normal Dormancy 5 deal. If the guy can't control it then he can save on the Dormancy by getting Uncontrolled Transformation or even Hyde Syndrome (& a whole lot of Taint - other Aberrations would include allergic reaction - silver, fur, hormonal imbalance - lust, etc., etc.) - supernatural types are just chock full of tainty-goodness!

I wouldn't give him Quantum Leap (since Werewolves are rarely portrayed as leaping many kilometers at a time!), but Mega-Str / Dex / Sta / Per are all appropriate.

Let's see, to make a Crinos-only character:

Mega-Attributes

Mega-Dex 1 [Enhanced Movement]

Mega-Sta 1 [Regeneration]

Mega-Per 1 [bloodhound]

Mega-Ugliness 1 [Face of Terror]

Quantum Powers

Animal Mastery 1

Armour 2

Bodymodification - Extra Heal Levels [10x Maimed]

Claws 2

Sizemorph (Grow) 1

Taint 8

Aberrations

Permanent Power - Sizemorph

Uncontrolled Transformation - Full Moon, pain, stress

Vulnerability - silver

Fur

Disturbing Voice - growl

He gets Mega-Str from the Sizemorph (if he's strong to start with). The Uncontrolled Transformation acts as 5 levels of Dormancy, so he has no aberrations in his "homid" form. For spirit-related stuff think about Quantum Construct, or even Teleport (Umbral travel).

I kept it as mega apearance because of the animal magnitism all werewolves have in any form*, also hardbody because they can soak agg with stamina, and as for quantum leap it was the only meg str enhancement that i thought would be apropiate and with mega str 1 they're not going to jump that high i don't think ill check it later.

*sorry i mean in homid, lupus and crinos.

Quantum Leap is really overpowered when trying to simulate many comic characters that can leap a long way, just not Hulk distance (which is what the Enhancement was designed to simulate). Maybe there could be a Body Modification - Elastic Tendons (or something) that simply doubles the normal leaping distance for, say, a single Nova Point?

I see the Mega-Appearance point: I was just thinking that Garou loose Appearance when shifting from Homid. Actually, the whole Delerium thing may be better simulated with Emotion Control of some kind - that'd cover the Animal Attraction thing too.

Problem is that emotion control is completely deliberate wereas the animal attraction from werewolf is innate and mega apearance covers it. Another problem is delirium should be innate as well, i don't know maybe a trigger whenever the character shifts into crinos they have to automatically activate face of terror or emotion control.

Hmmm. Maybe some sort of Reflexive on the Emotion Control? Area Extra would be a must (or is it an Area effect anyway, I forget), some levels of Weaknesses for the limited use, that sort of thing?

I just don't see Crinos Werewolves coming across as good-looking! Each to their own though... ::confused

Actually, maybe Mega-Cha with Seductive would cover the Animal Attraction, & Dreadful Mien (sp?) for the Delerium?

The reason we just went with the Bodymorph rules was simplicity frankly. The character really has a new power, but it functions the same as Bodymorph. Also, the character does not have most of the powers of a garou, he just looks like a garou in crinos. The storytellers decide that as the character gains taint & aberrations, the path it will follow is the character gaining more of the classic flaws associated with werewolves. She will become more & more like her subconscious image of a werewolf.

The character is a former terat & is a practioner of teras with the monster archetype. She has Face of terror, armor, claws, & regeneration as dots in her bodymorph. The only independent powers she has from the bodymorph are mega-perception with the bloodhound enhancement, mega-stamina with the hardbody enhancement, & animal control.

The character works out pretty well. She has come out as a sort of wilderness type. As to new powers, she wants to get a dot in in mega-strength for her bodymorph, as well as, shapeshift with a weakness that makes her only able to shapeshift to land mammal predators, & maybe maga-wits.

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya folks-

Here are some homebrew enhancements for Mega-Strength I cooked up (and have used) with my former gaming group. They worked well enough for us, but I'd really like to hear what you guys think about them. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. ::smile

BTW, re: the Kid Gloves enhancement... I've heard talk on other forums about an enhancement going by the same name on the N!Prime site, which I haven't been able to access due to a server mixup. Have I reinvented the wheel here, or just used the same name? ::confused

Anyway, here ya go...

Daze (Mega-Strength)

Being beaten up by a Mega-Strong nova is no picnic, even for other Mega-Strong novas. Case in point: Novas with this enhancement have learned how to ensure that their blows knock their opponents for the proverbial loop. This is also useful for ending fights quickly, before any collateral damage can be inflicted.

System: The nova can spend a quantum point as an automatic action to activate this enhancement for 1 close combat attack or melee attack with a blunt weapon. If the nova manages to inflict even one level of damage after soak, the victim must roll Mega-Stamina vs. the nova's Mega-Strength to avoid being dazed (see Aberrant core book, pg. 249) for up to [Mega-Strength automatic successes] turns. The Storyteller, as usual, determines exactly how long that the victim will be dazed by the nova's blow.

Dragon's Foot (Mega-Strength)

Prerequisites: Mega-Strength 6+, Shockwave enhancement

A nova with this refined version of the Shockwave enhancement can create multiple earthquake fissures underneath her foes by stomping her foot or fist on solid ground. It's not of much use on bridges or onboard large vehicles, unless the nova wants to destroy the bridge/sink the aircraft carrier/etc.

System: If the nova is on solid ground, she can create fissures that are up to (Mega-Strength x 10) meters deep within a radius of up to (Mega-Strength x 100) meters. The fissures don't do any damage directly, but anyone standing within the area of effect is at +10 difficulties to avoid falling into a fissure and taking normal falling damage. Buildings, bridges, and large vehicles in the area of effect automatically take (Mega-Strength) levels of structural damage unless they're designed to be earthquake-resistant (like many Japanese skyscrapers). The nova must spend one quantum point to use this enhancement, and can only make one Dragon's Foot attack per turn. Note that repeated use of this enhancement can severely damage most buildings, close previously opened fissures, and might even trigger natural earthquakes in seismically unstable regions.

Finesse (Mega-Strength)

Prerequisites: Precision and Kid Gloves enhancements

Mega-Strong novas can inflict massive amounts of damage, but unfortunately most of them also end up inflicting a lot of unintended collateral damage in the process. Novas with this enhancement don't have to worry about that, as they've developed exacting control over the effects of their blows.

System: The nova can precisely control the "area of effect" that his Mega-Strong blows damage. Aside from limiting the damage to a designated cubic volume and/or type of solid matter, the nova can destroy the chosen target without inflicting the slightest harm to anything or anyone in the area of effect or nearby.

This enhancement is permanent (unless consciously "switched off") and has no quantum point cost.

Example: Daedelus League nova Carmelita Sanchez is not having a good day. She's just told Diedre "Chrome" Hastings, a Janissaries elite and would-be suitor who's been stalking her for several weeks to stay out of her life. Adding insult to injury, Carmelita has just proposed marriage to her boyfriend of many years, a nova astronomer by the name of Dr. Matthew Connors. He accepts, and kisses Carmelita in front of an speechless Diedre. Ms. Hastings apparently never learned how to deal with rejection very well, as she flies into a jealous rage. Using her power to control metals, Diedre encases Matthew in a globe of solid steel! Fortunately, Carmelita has Mega-Strength 5 and the Finesse enhancement. Striking the steel globe with a hapkido kick, Carmelita pulverizes the metal into steel filings before Diedre can contract the globe and crush Matthew. Aside from being covered in powdered steel, Carmelita's new fiance is unharmed. That's more than Diedre can say, as she winds up in a body cast as a guest in the intensive care ward of the New York Rashoud Facility, the director of which has decided to keep her in "protective custody" once she's recovered. Meanwhile, Carmelita and Matthew are making wedding plans...

Fist Of God (Mega-Strength)

Prerequisites: Mega-Strength 6+, Shockwave and Dragon's Foot enhancements

Every once in a while, you hear wild theories from certain researchers about the dangers posed by novas with extreme superhuman strength. Most people dismiss this sort of speculation as sheer nonsense, but a nova with this enhancement lends credibility to those extremely worried scientists... Novas with this ability can shatter objects far larger than themselves (skyscrapers, mountains, spacecraft, etc.) with a single blow.

System: The nova spends a quantum point and takes a turn to prepare (doing nothing else in the meantime), then strikes at her intended target. The force of the nova's blow will shatter objects of up to [(Quantum + Mega-Strength) x (Mega-Strength -5)] kilometers in diameter. Furthermore, every cubic meter in the area of effect takes the nova's total Mega-Strength automatic successes and damage dice as levels of aggravated damage. This enhancement stays active for one attack, and can only be used once every two turns.

Please note that while the nova using this enhancement is immune to the damage he directly inflicts, she is by no means immune to the indirect effects of her blow. (Novas who want to shatter part of the Earth's crust with a single blow had better be able to deal with the resulting tsunamis of molten lava!)

It is possible for a nova to purchase multiple levels of this enhancement, with the only limit being her dots in Mega-Strength and the experience/nova point costs. Each extra level of this enhancement doubles the size limit of eligible targets that the nova can shatter, but the damage is doubled for every two levels possessed. And yes, it _is_ possible to shatter an Earth-sized planet with a high enough rating in Mega-Strength and enough levels of this enhancement. That's nothing new, though, considering that a nova at that level of power could easily invest in a few dots of Quantum Inferno...

Iron Grip (Mega-Strength)

Novas with this enhancement have developed incredible grasping strength in their hands (and possibly feet, tentacles, etc...) Once such a nova grabs hold of something, it's not likely to be going anywhere soon.

System: The nova automatically retains his grip on objects (and people) in ordinary circumstances. All attempts to escape or pry something from the nova's grasp via physical force are made at + (Mega-Strength) difficulties. Powers like Bodymorph: Gas/Liquid, Teleport, and Density Control-Decrease automatically bypass the effects of this enhancement. The nova also gets (Mega-Strength) automatic successes on rolls to squeeze, press, or push things. This is permanent and has no quantum point cost.

Kid Gloves (Mega-Strength)

Mega-Strong novas quickly learn that they have to be very, very gentle with objects (and creatures!) who simply aren't capable of withstanding the damage they might cause in a moment of carelessness. It's really no surprise that some Mega-Strong novas feel compelled to keep their distance from family and friends simply to avoid the risk of causing them serious injury. (For even better reasons for keeping one's distance, read "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" in _N-Space_ by Larry Niven.) A nova with this enhancement simply doesn't have to worry about that kind of problems.

System: The nova's control over his superhuman strength is enough to make him totally incapable of inadvertently inflicting damage on even the most fragile objects, creatures, and people. This is permanent, and has no quantum point cost.

Leverage (Mega-Strength)

"Give me a place to stand," said Archimedes, "and I will move the world." Unlike certain ancient Greek philosopher/scientists, a Mega-Strong nova with this enhancement doesn't need a place to stand, as she is always in a position to use her quantum-augmented strength to her best advantage. While most often developed by those Mega-Strong novas who work in orbit or elsewhere in space, this enhancement provides a definite edge in combat situations.

System: The nova can always use her Mega-Strength to its best effect; regardless of physical restraints (technological and power-based), insufficient room for the nova to move, difficult environmental conditions such as microgravity, and the lack of solid objects for the nova to brace herself against. This enhancement is a permanent effect, and has no quantum point cost.

Loadbearer (Mega-Strength)

Mega-Strong novas with this enhancement are essentially quantum-powered pack mules- at least, that's what they seem like to other people (nova and baseline alike). While this enhancement radically increases the load-carrying capabilities of a Mega-Strong nova, actually doing so isn't pleasant for him. Mega-Strong novas with this ability tend to keep it a secret as long as possible, since no one enjoys being a pack mule.

System: The nova spends a quantum point to augment his carrying capacity for up to [Mega-Strength] scenes. He can carry up to 50% of his maximum deadlift weight without being encumbered, although carrying weights above his normal maximum Encumbrance weight limit are fairly uncomfortable for him and he will seek to lay his burden down ASAP. The Storyteller is encouraged to apply whatever penalties she sees fit to a nova using this enhancement. For a rough guideline, think about how well Joe Sixpack would perform in a combat situation while moving furniture! This is cumulative with the effects of the Lifter enhancement and powers such as Sizemorph (Grow) and Boost (Strength).

Steel Lungs (Mega-Strength)

Some Mega-Strong novas have developed augmented diaphragmic musculature and enhanced lung capacity, allowing them to inhale and exhale with extreme force, granting a few useful abilities.

System: The nova spends a quantum point to breathe with extreme force.

>Hyperstrong Exhale: The nova can exhale hard enough to inflict (Mega-Strength) dice of Bashing damage. The exhale can be focused in a narrow blast that affects a single target within (Mega-Strength) x 20 meters, or it can spread into a cone that's (Mega-Strength) x 10 meters long and (Mega-Strength) x5 meters wide at its base. Hyperstrong exhalation is also useful for blowing out small fires and blowing away harmful gases.

>Hyperstrong Inhale: The nova can inhale with enough force to suck in all the air around him (including any suspended contaminants) within a (Mega-Strength) x 10 meter radius area. Also, everyone (except the nova) within that area of effect must roll Dexterity at + (Mega-Strength) difficulties in order to remain standing.

>Enhanced Lung Capacity: The nova also gets +10 bonus dice on all rolls for holding his breath. This is a permanent modification, and doesn't require any quantum point expenditure.

Comments? Derisive laughter? I'll take it all! ::devil

Wooppie! new toys to play with!!! ::laugh

Oh By the way... *Welcome* ::smiley5

Hmmm... looking at your list of prerequisites I take it you like the DnD feats system???

I like the enhancements, but not the large lists of prereq's except for Dragon's Foot... not sure why you need so many variants of the same thing though... Bah! ignor me.

Thanks for the quick reply, Ayre! ::biggrin

The deal I had going with the prerequisites were that a nova would have to have certain other enhancements in order to develop the new one- Dragon's Foot being a logical outgrowth of Shockwave, and all that. Ditto for Fist of God, although I'd like to hear from anyone brave and/or crazy enough to use it in their campaign! (My group found out about it the hard way- the humongous walking behemoth of a nova our Storyteller decided to use for our antagonist had it! ::crazy ::crazy ::crazy )

Whups, sorry... computer glitch ::blush

In answer to your question, I got the idea from a revised version of ye Olde GURPS Supers advantages from GURPSnet. I can't find the file anymore, but the ideas it had made a lot of sense... ::wink

BTW, anyone ever notice the similarity between the "Overwhelming Question" enhancement and the Level 4 Nagah Gift of almost the same name? If you ever look at Hong Kong Action Theatre! 2 (Guardians of Order), you'll see the inspiration for Dragon's Foot.

Seeing as I've finally managed to get this transcribed from last year's cola- and coffee-sodden campaign bluebooks ::tongue , you might as well take a gander at these Mega-Dexterity enhancements I've salvaged and tell me what you think. Feedback greatly appreciated, of course! ::bigsmile

Adroit (Mega-Dexterity)

Some Mega-Dexterous novas have achieved near-perfect motor control and physical coordination. These folks have been automatically banned from the craps tables at gambling casinos worldwide, since they can roll double sixes on the dice each and every time if they want to. Other such novas have become the latest darlings of the ballet companies- or have been recruited to work in various bomb squad units.

System: The nova gets an additional - (Mega-Dexterity) difficulty bonus on all rolls for Dexterity based actions. Even botches cannot make the nova trip or fumble- if he makes a mistake, he'll look great doing so. This enhancement is always on, and has no quantum cost.

Avian (Mega-Dexterity)

Prerequisites: At least one dot of Flight, or the Wings/Patagia Body Modification

Flying without mechanical aids has always been a favorite dream of baseline humanity. While some novas' attempts at flight are about as graceful as a rock, a nova with this enhancement takes to the air as if she were born to it. (For some latter-generation novas, that could very well be the case!)

System: The nova gains three automatic successes on all rolls for the Flight power, although it can also apply to gliding via wings or patagia. This enhancement cannot be applied to the "flight" techniques such as provided by the Elemental Anima and Mastery powers. Also, the nova cannot botch power rolls for Flight and Hypermovement (Flight). This enhancement is permanent, and has no quantum point cost.

Blurred Speed (Mega-Dexterity)

Prerequisites: Mega-Wits equal to or greater than Mega-Dexterity, and the Quickness enhancement

Mega-Dexterous novas tend to blow baseline combatants right out of the water when it comes to acting quickly- most of the time, they're lucky to even catch a glimpse of a hyperfast nova before they're mowed down. A nova with this enhancement is physically quick enough to make other Mega-Dexterous novas seem like they're moving in slow motion.

System: The nova may take all extra actions gained via Quickness (or another enhancement or power that grants extra actions) at the same time, without any delays or Initiative penalties. This enhancement has no quantum point cost beyond that of the Quickness enhancement (or similar enhancement or power).

Cool Hand (Mega-Dexterity)

Having a steady hand can be an outright lifesaver in dangerous situations, and novas with this enhancement are the steadiest of them all. These novas are the ones who can disarm live nuclear warheads that are thirty seconds away from detonating in the midst of free-for-all gun battles without a qualm.

System: Novas with this enhancement are immune to all Dexterity-based dice pool penalties derived from wounds, drugs, stress, illness, temperature extremes, etc. They also get +3 automatic successes on all rolls involving ultra-fine manipulation (this never applies to combat). This is cumulative with Fine Manipulation. This preternatural steadiness effectively doubles the range of any ranged weapon the nova uses. As a side benefit, a nova with this enhancement never suffers the physical effects of intoxication, nor does he get "the shakes", shiver, or become seasick. The effects last for a scene.

Feather Foot (Mega-Dexterity)

Novas with this enhancement are virtually weightless in their movements, and are able to walk on snow or sand without leaving a trace. They can also walk and leap onto objects that shouldn't have the slightest chance of being able to support their weight, in the best tradition of the Hong Kong wuxia movies.

System: The nova gets +3 automatic successes on all Stealth-related rolls (cumulative with Catfooted) and only takes half damage before soak from falling. (Round up any fractions). Also, the nova's weight is considered to be divided by [Mega-Dexterity x 100] of its actual value for determining whether or not an object is strong enough to support his weight. This is quite convenient when used with Quantum Leap, as it prevents the nova from damaging anything he lands on. This is permanent, and has no quantum point cost.

Freefaller (Mega-Dexterity)

As any experienced astronaut could confirm, humans who've just gotten their first taste of microgravity (or freefall) tend to be awkward and clumsy in the extreme. It generally takes several misions in Earth orbit for an astronaut to learn how function effectively in zero-G. Novas with this enhancement are the exception to the rule, as they have an instinctive knowledge of how best to operate in microgravity.

System: The nova has +3 automatic successes on all rolls for physical actions attempted in microgravity environments, and is also immune to spacesickness. This is permanent, and has no quantum point cost.

FTL Reflexes (Mega-Dexterity)

Even for Mega-Dexterous novas, maneuvering at velocities approaching or greater than C (the speed of light in a vacuum) is difficult in the extreme, if not downright suicidal. Novas who manage to develop the power of relativistic or superluminal flight universally develop this enhancement as well. While it's possible for a nova to fly at near- or greater-than-lightspeed without this enhancment, such a reckless fool is certain to quickly fly headfirst into something that's lethal even to novas. Something like a black hole, for example...

System: A nova with this enhancement suffers only half the penalties (round up) on rolls for moving at relativistic and/or superluminal speed. This is permanent, and has no quantum point cost. It's also fairly useless for novas incapable of moving at relativistic and/or superluminal speeds.

(Note: Novas without this enhancement should encounter severe difficulties when attempting to maneuver at relativistic and/or superluminal speeds. The Storyteller has the final say on this, but a good rough guideline would be +12 difficulties at relativistic speeds and +16 difficulties at superluminal speeds.)

FTL Reactions (Mega-Wits)

This is the mental counterpart to FTL Reflexes, and allows novas to react fast enough mentally to travel at relativistic and/or superluminal speeds with much less trouble than their slower brethren. Those novas who possess FTL Reflexes as well as this enhancement can traverse interstellar distances as easily as Joe Sixpack could walk the length of an empty field.

System: A nova with this enhancement suffers only half the penalties (round up) on rolls for moving at relativistic and/or superluminal speed. If the nova also has FTL Reflexes, she will suffer no penalties whatsoever. This is permanent, and has no quantum point cost. It's also fairly useless for novas incapable of moving at relativistic and/or superluminal speeds.

Ghostly Movement (Mega-Dexterity)

The ability to move around their foes without attracting the slightest attention only to seemingly come out of nowhere and attack has long been an established shtick of "action heroes" from Hollywood, Hong Kong, and lately Bollywood. It was only a matter of time before novas began manifesting the same ability.

System: The nova can spend a quantum point to move quietly and instantly to any place within [sprint] meters, provided that (1) no one except his comrades in arms is watching, and (2) the nova could get to his chosen destination "the hard way" if given time. Others must roll Mega-Perception vs. the nova's Mega-Dexterity +1 to notice the nova while he's "ghosting". Note that unlike teleporting, use of this enhancement does _not_ cause spatial disturbances...

Hands of the Maker (Mega-Dexterity)

For centuries, humans have wrought wonders with only the deftness of their hands and training in a given craft. It's no surprise, then, that some Mega-Dexterous novas have become the ultimate craftsmen.

System: The nova gets a bonus of +3 automatic successes on all rolls that involve designing, making, or shaping things with his hands or hand-operated tools. This generally affects engineering, medical/pharmaceutical, scientific, and artistic tasks. This bonus never applies to rolls for combat or tasks involving long-range manipulation or CAD/CAM- the nova must physically work with the object/material/patient in question. A nova can purchase up to two extra levels of this enhancement, allowing him to gain the bonus when using power tools and/or his quantum powers in his craftwork. This enhancement is always in effect, and costs no quantum points to use.

Kensai (Mega-Dexterity)

Baseline humanity has always respected those individuals who were truly skilled in the use of weapons, as the legends of Annie Oakley, William Tell, and Miyamoto Musashi can attest. Novas with this enhancement can display the same prowess and then some, as they have refined their skills to a frightening degree.

System: The nova gets an additional - [Mega-Dexterity] difficulty bonus on all Melee, Archery, and/or Firearms rolls, and is incapable of botching on rolls for those abilities- rolled botches are considered to be simple failures instead. Also, the nova can draw or sheathe his weapons and reload firearms and bows without having to roll Dexterity. This enhancement is always in effect, and costs no quantum points to use.

Natural Swimmer (Mega-Dexterity)

Except for some highly-trained athletes, most people aren't nearly as capable when swimming as they are moving about on dry land. That isn't the case for some Mega-Dexterous novas with this enhancement, as they're even more graceful in the water than when landbound!

System: The nova gets an additional - [Mega-Dexterity] difficulty bonus on all rolls made for moving in or under the water. Also, the nova's swimming speed is calculated with an extra 3 dots to his Athletics score.

This enhancement is always in effect, and costs no quantum points to use.

One Man Army (Mega-Dexterity)

Being outnumbered in a fight is bad news for normal folks, but this simply isn't so for some Mega-Dexterous novas. Novas with this enhancement are never outnumbered, they simply have more targets to choose from.

System: The nova gets +3 automatic successes on all rolls for close combat against multiple foes, and does not suffer any penalties for fighting multiple foes. Also, the nova can get up to [Mega-Dexterity] additional actions whenever she faces four or more opponents- the ratio is 1 action for each opponent after the third. These extra actions can only be used for close combat maneuvers, and are penalized by -2 to Initiative. This enhancement is always in effect, and costs no quantum points to use.

Phantom Strike (Mega-Dexterity)

Novas with this enhancement can be terrifying foes, as they're capable of striking down their foes before the attack is even detected. More than one fight has ended with a blow that seemed to come out of nowhere.

System: The nova can strike quickly enough to gain complete surprise- her foes must roll Mega-Perception vs. the nova's Mega-Dexterity +1 to even notice the attack. Novas lacking Mega-Perception and baselines automatically fail the roll, of course. If her attack goes unnoticed, the nova gains +5 automatic successes on her attack roll. This enhancement costs 1 quantum point to activate, and only affects a single attack.

River Fighting (Mega-Dexterity)

There's no denying that Mega-Dexterous novas can be incredibly difficult to defend oneself against in combat situations. Novas with this enhancement raise that difficulty to a whole other level, as they can move with superhuman fluidity in combat. Such novas find slipping past their opponent's attempts to block their attacks to be child's play, and can strike with impunity.

System: The nova's opponents are automatically penalized by - [Mega-Dexterity] successes on all rolls to defend themselves against the nova's Martial Arts or Melee attacks. This enhancement costs 1 quantum point to activate, and stays active for the duration of the combat or the scene, whichever comes first.

Silent Running (Mega-Dexterity)

A Mega-Dexterous nova with this enhancement is capable of moving at her maximum speed without disturbing her surroundings or leaving any evidence of her passing.

System: The nova's player must choose one form of physical movement to be affected by this enhancement- running, leaping, swimming, climbing or flying. Thereafter the nova gets + [Mega-Dexterity] automatic successes on Stealth rolls for moving without being detected or leaving traces when using that mode of movement. (If running, leaping, or climbing is affected; then this enhancement is cumulative with both Catfooted and Feather Foot.) If the nova has a form of the Hypermovement power that is affected by this enhancement (Hyper-Running and Hyper-Flight being the most common examples), this enhancement also allows her to choose whether or not to produce sonic booms when moving at supersonic speeds.

If the player wishes, extra levels of this enhancement may be bought, with each extra level affecting another chosen mode of meovement. This enhancement is always considered to be active unless the player declares otherwise (automatic action to switch on or off). This enhancement costs no quantum to use.

Spontaneity (Mega-Dexterity)

Martial artists and gunslingers have lived and died by their ability to "read" their opponent's moves and predict their actions. Novas with this enhancement are their worst nightmare, as attempting to read their moves is close to impossible for baseline humans and difficult even for other novas!

System: The nova can conceal the physical tensions of his body with an automatic action (no roll required). Others must roll Mega-Perception vs. your Mega-Dexterity +1 to predict what physical actions the nova will perform. Those who fail the roll make all attacks on the nova at + [Mega-Dexterity] difficulties. Baselines and novas who lack Mega-Perception automatically fail this roll.

Tenacity (Mega-Dexterity)

Attempting to perform physical actions while being tied up, grappled, or otherwise impeded is difficult for most folks- including the majority of novas. Mega-Dexterous novas with this enhancement have no such trouble, as they can perform equally well with or without such impediments. Sometimes these novas can even use their restraints to their advantage.

System: The nova suffers no penalties on rolls for Dexterity-based actions made while being grappled, restrained, or physically impeded in some other way. (We're talking about things like wrestling holds, handcuffs, nets, chains, and concrete overshoes here.) In some situations, the Storyteller may see fit to grant one to three additional bonus dice when whatever is restraining the nova could conceivably be turned to his advantage. (For good examples of this, check out any of Jackie Chan's early movies.)

Hope this satisfies your craving for new toys, Ayre! ::laugh More is on the way, once my eye recover from deciphering smeared ink and half-erased pencil scribblings... ::wacko

Many thanks, harlequin! ::smile

Glutton for punishment that I am, I've gone ahead and salvaged yet more enhancements for you folks to look over and try out. It's Mega-Stamina this time- something I'm feeling in dire need of right now! ::rolleyes

As always, comments greatly appeciated...

Acceleration Tolerance (Mega-Stamina)

Despite the benefits provided by their quantum-enhanced metabolisms, most novas are only slightly more resistant to the dangers of high-G acceleration or deceleration than your average baseline. Even speedsters and novas with Adaptibility face this problem. Speedsters can ignore the inertial effects of their own powers, but if you strap one to an ICBM (many of which have boosting speeds of at least 25 G's) and launch it he's likely to end up either dead or nearly so. Novas with Adaptibility are in the same boat, as that kind of protection is geared towards environmental conditions- that much acceleration only needs a few seconds to turn a human (or superhuman) body into so much meat pudding.

Fortunately for them, novas with this enhancement can dismiss such problems with a laugh. These novas are also in much demand by space agencies worldwide to serve as astronauts.

System: The nova can totally ignore the effects of high-G acceleration and deceleration. The Storyteller may or may not choose to determine a quantum point cost for this enhancement, as per Adaptibility.

Diehard (Mega-Stamina)

Novas with Mega-Stamina are by definition able to survive and recover from damage that would be outright lethal for baseline humans. Novas with this enhancement are even tougher, almost on the level of the legendary New York City cockroach.

System: A nova with this enhancement is a good deal more difficult to kill than is typical for novas in general. In game terms, the nova has a certain number of "Nearly Dead" health levels equal to his "Maimed" health levels that act as buffer against actual death. While "Nearly Dead", the nova will appear to be dead unless he undergoes a competent medical examination (all other attempts to detect the nova's lifesigns are made at +[Mega-Stamina] difficulties). If left undisturbed for even a second, the nova automatically regains enough health levels to place him at "Maimed". This enhancement is permanent, and will function as long as the nova retains at least one quantum point in his quantum pool.

Hard Target (Mega-Stamina)

Given the fact that many novas have erupted in the midst of all-out gun battles, it's no surprise that some of them have developed physiologies that are much less vulnerable to the effects of bullets and projectiles than the typical nova. While they still don't like getting shot, they're much more capable of giving their hapless attackers some well-deserved comeuppance.

System: The nova automatically soaks all damage from mundane firearms and projectiles as bashing damage. Weapons that are designed to breach armor- such as military antitank rifles and guns that fire hypercore rounds (see _Aberrant: Brainwaves_ for details) can inflict lethal damage on the nova, but do so at the cost of their armor-penetration capability. This has no effect on energy blasts and other esoteric attack forms, of course. This enhancement is permanent, and has no quantum point cost.

Nanotech Resistance (Mega-Stamina)

Prerequisite: Adaptibility enhancement

With DeVries' introduction of nanotech-based chemical weapons onto the battlefields of the Nova Age, it became glaringly obvious that countermeasures were needed. While some novas (typically the Mega-Intelligent) redoubled their efforts into researching nanotechnology, others were forced to take a more visceral approach to the problem- literally!

System: The nova's immune system is capable of resisting the effects of nanotech-based chemical weapons (such as Nanokill- see _Aberrant: Brainwaves_ for details) just like any other toxin, disease, or drug. The nova gains +6 soak or resistance dice vs. nanotech weapons, and reduces their effective Virulence Rating by -[the nova's Mega-Stamina]. This enhancement is permanent, and has no quantum point cost.

Rebound (Mega-Stamina)

While novas with Mega-Stamina are much more likely to remain conscious under adverse conditions than other novas (and baselines, of course), novas with this enhancement can take the proverbial licking and keep on ticking. This has proven to be a subtle but effective edge in combat situations...

System: The nova simply cannot be rendered dazed or unconscious (see Aberrant Core Book, pg. 249). While she may become too badly damaged to move, she is always alert and aware of her surroundings. This enhancement is permanent, and has no quantum point cost.

Relentless (Mega-Stamina)

Some novas with Mega-Stamina have such extreme amounts of "get up and go" that they make other novas seem like out-of-shape couch potatoes. Needless to say, this enhancement was a major factor in the banning of novas from competition in baseline sporting events- marathons, in this case.

System: The nova can travel without any need of rest or nourishment, allowing her to cover fantastic distances without pause as long as she stays in motion. This applies to all forms of physical movement (including the Flight and Hyper-Movement powers); but not to using vehicles, teleportation, or the Warp power. This is permanent, and has no quantum point cost- provided that the nova keeps moving!

Robust (Mega-Stamina)

Novas with Mega-Stamina are easily more able to deal with injuries overall than Joe Sixpack- but some of those novas take that ability a good deal farther. Those nova have developed physiologies so resistant to injury that they've become the favorite subjects of MD's eager to be published in _JAMA_ or _Nature_. (That's assuming that they can get those novas to cooperate, which isn't as easy as it was before 2008...)

System: The nova's hyper-tough flesh grants him an additional [Mega-Stamina] health levels of each type- excepting "Dead", for obvious reasons. This enhancement is cumulative with the Diehard enhancement and the Body Modification: Extra Health Levels. This is permanent, and has no quantum point cost.

Rugged (Mega-Stamina)

Prerequisites: Mega-Stamina 6+, 2 levels of the Resilience enhancement

Novas who develop the upper levels of Mega-Stamina (Mega-Stamina 6 or more) often develop certain inherent resistances to injury that are literally beyond anything that could be considered human.

System: A nova can have up to 5 levels of this enhancement, with the benefits described below.

1- Any bashing damage taken by the nova is halved before soak. The nova gets + [Mega-Stamina / 2] additional dice on all rolls to resist the effects of one type of physiological damage (such as blood loss).

2- Any bashing damage taken by the nova is halved before soak. Any lethal damage taken by the nova is halved before soak. The nova gets + [Mega-Stamina] additional dice on all rolls to resist the effects of one type of physiological damage (such as blood loss).

3- Any bashing or lethal damage taken by the nova is halved before soak. The nova is immune to the effects of one type of physiological damage (such as blood loss). The nova gets + [Mega-Stamina / 2] additional dice on all rolls to resist the effects of one type of physical damage (such as damage taken from falls).

4- Any bashing damage taken by the nova is quartered before soak. Any lethal damage taken by the nova is halved before soak. The nova is immune to the effects of one type of physiological damage (such as blood loss). The nova gets + [Mega-Stamina] additional dice on all rolls to resist the effects of one type of physical damage (such as damage taken from falls).

5- The nova soaks all bashing damage as Stun damage. Any lethal damage taken by the nova is quartered before soak. The nova is immune to the effects of one type of physiological damage (such as blood loss). The nova is immune to one type of physical damage (such as damage taken from falls).

This enhancement is permanent, and has no quantum point cost.

Sanitized Metabolism (Mega-Stamina)

Some novas with Mega-Stamina develop metabolisms that function so efficiently that they are totally clean. Aside from the obvious social benefits of superhuman cleanliness, these novas are clean enough to work in sealed factory environments ("clean rooms") without a containment suit. Oddly enough, this enhancement is becoming increasingly common among Japanese novas and those novas influenced by Japanese culture.

System: These novas don't sweat excessively, nor do they leave behind any kind of dander or biological residue- a bonus for covert operatives! Such novas don't develop things like unsightly skin problems or bad breath. Waste products (if any are produced) are minimized and sanitized. What little body odor the nova has will invariably be pleasant. In game terms, the nova gets an additional [Mega-Stamina +1] dice on all rolls where superhuman cleanliness could be a factor. This is permanent, and has no quantum point cost.

Second Wind (Mega-Stamina)

Even for novas, getting into a fight when you're not at your best is not a good idea. Some novas with Mega-Stamina have developed this enhancement in order to help minimize this risk.

System: In combat (or in similarly stressful situations), the nova can roll Mega-Stamina + Endurance to temporarily ignore any and all unhealed damage taken; operating as if she were at her full health levels for the duration of the fight. Any damage taken during the fight is subtracted from the nova's "phantom" health levels first- the inflicted damage and the phantom health levels both dissipate at the end of the fight. If the nova takes enough damage to use up all of her phantom health levels, she will then take damage as normal.

Spark of Life (Mega-Stamina)

Prerequisite: Mega-Stamina 6+ and the Health enhancement.

While all novas who attain the upper range of Mega-Stamina enjoy an obscenely high quality of physical health, those who develop this enhancement become literal fonts of vitality. Living things seem to thrive in their presence (save for harmful germs and parasites), and injuries heal with uncanny speed under their ministrations. Novas who manifest this ability sometimes develop superhuman medical skills as well, reflecting an aptitude for the healer's arts.

System: The nova heals all non-aggravated damage taken as if it were 1 wound level less, and may share his superhuman vitality by means of his touch if he is in perfect health. (This requires more-or-less constant care of the patient on the nova's part, though.) If the nova has the Biomanipulation or Healing powers, he can heal aggravated damage taken by others as if it were non-aggravated AND gets a difficulty bonus of -2 on power rolls involving healing, growth, creation, and positive change. (This bonus doesn't apply for rolls to positively affect bacteria and viruses- what's positive for a germ can be lethal for humans!)

The downside of this is that novas (and other beings) capable of draining the life-energy of others will get twice the energy from the nova than they would from other novas- which could make a nova with this enhancement a valued commodity in the eyes of some rather unpleasant novas...

This enhancement is permanent and usually has no quantum point cost.

Steady (Mega-Stamina)

Due to subtle alterations of the inner ear, novas with this enhancement are unaffected by vertigo and motion sickness. These novas are the ones who can sail a ship through the roughest of seas without losing a single member of the crew- or (with Mega-Dexterity) can perform extended acrobatic feats for hours on end without getting sick.

System: The nova is immune to motion sickness and vertigo of all kinds, even those induced by drugs or quantum (and psionic) powers. This enhancement is permanent, and has no quantum point cost.

Tough (Mega-Stamina)

Prerequisites: Two levels of the Resilience enhancement and either four dots of Armor or three dots of Invulnerability (physical attacks)

Some novas with superhuman Soak ratings are nigh-invulnerable to human-level attacks. (Refer to the "Puny Human" rule- Aberrant Core Book, pg. 240- for the details.) Accordingly, some novas are even more invulnerable, as they can shrug off some of the attacks made on them by other novas!

System: The nova can use the "Puny Human" (Puny Nova?) rule against nova-level attacks. If the nova's soak subtracts twice the amount of the attacker's damage effect, the attacker may not even roll his one die in hopes of attaining a single damage success. This enhancement is fairly useless without several dots of the Armor and/or Invulnerability powers, of course. This is permanent, and has no quantum point cost.

Unyielding (Mega-Stamina)

Prerequisites: Two levels of the Resilience enhancement and two dots of Armor

Some novas take the notion of physical toughness a bit too literally- their flesh has become tough enough to make anything that comes into violent contact with them shatter or even pulverize on impact! This subtle edge has ended many a fight as it started- nothing cows an opponent quite like having her attack prove to be ineffectual, especially if the lesson is driven home by a little pain (in the case of bare-handed attacks).

System: If the nova's soak subtracts twice the amount of the attacker's damage effect, the weapon or body part in question breaks harmlessly (to the nova, anyway) on her skin. Handheld weapons will shatter, while bullets will be powdered due to their high velocity. Punches and kicks will result in the attacker's offending body part suffering the damage of her own attack, although novas with either Armor or Invulnerability (physical attacks) can soak this damage as per normal.

Hope to get feedback soon- will have more once my eyes recover again ::wacko ::wacko ::wacko

2 levels of the resilience enhancement are you mad? I can't believe you'd allow anyone to pick that up more than once, but to have it as a prereq as well??? Reading through the powers I was fine with them untill I came to the ultra soak and health level ones, then I read the ones with the above prereq... Resiliency is possibly the best of all the mega-sta enhancments (all the stam enhancements are great!), it doubles your Mega stamina soak, to allow players to quadruple mega soak is insane especially with all the other defensive powers kicking around.

As for your other powers I think they should be individualised for different novas, if a player comes up to you with a theme for a nova and you think one of these is appropriate then you give them the option to grab it, but once they have it another player can't (untill the next game, anyway) as it was something that one nova developed.

I like Tough, but I wouldn't give it a prereq as it would work fine either way, this is also one I'd put in the 'anyone can grab' category. As for unyeilding, how about anyone/thing striking the nova has to soak against thier own dammage role, up to target nova's level in mega stamina or maybe Quantum + Mega stamina if that's too weak. I know it weakens the power but it makes it more likely a GM will allow if for any player and kills the need for the prereqs.

I know I'm being a pain in the arse about this but what can I say, that's just me.

-Fred.

Ahhh, finally some feedback... ::biggrin

Re: the Resilience enhancement- Check out the errata listed in the Aberrant Player's Guide, Ayre- all that second level does is let you double the soak derived from your base Stamina score. So there might not be quite as much twinkitude here as you're thinking...

Re: Unyielding- The thinking that my group had was this- puching a nova with this enhancement should be like punching a steel girder. Not a big deal for Mega-Strong novas, I admit... But it simply made more sense with the prerequisites. Our ST put that in to keep those of us who played novas with Mega-Stamina from getting at it too quickly. Like that "Fist of God" enhancement I posted a while ago, we players found out about the "Are You Mad?!?"- provoking Mega-Stamina enhancements the hard way. She basically cooked up a Quantum 7, Taint 8 Gojira (that's Godzilla, for those of you not in the know) ripoff, and nearly kilt all our player characters with it. Getting rid of that thing wasn't easy, but it was possible...

Enough war stories. Ayre, you may have something re: Tough, but would that balance out well against those who simply buy more of the Extra Health Levels Body Mod? Your reasoning sounds good, but I'd hate to create a shortcut for the munchkins.

BTW, I don't think I'm mad... maybe. ::devil ::devil

I grudgingly concede the resilliency point, but I still don't like it!

Looking over Unyeilding again, I'm not sure it's worth having... if you're subtracting twice their damage effect anyway then why bother? it's an expensive bit of flash for your pc, personally if i was GMing and you subracted twice their damage then I'd give you that broken arm or shattered sword, no enhancement required.

I don't think it is giving them a short cut, infact I think it makes it harder for the power to work, their soak is not as high to begin with, without the prereqs, so they'll have to work at it, making it only effective against the punyest of nova's untill they beef up their character.

Re: Unyeilding- Fair enough, then. Remember, I'm asking you to tinker with these things and adjust them to your liking. Seeing as Unyielding was based off of the "Puny Human" rule (Aberrant Core Book, pg. 240), there's certainly a case for granting the damage effect anyway. So tinker with it, try it out and tell me about it, 'kay?

Many thanks for the quick feedback! ::bigsmile ::bigsmile ::bigsmile

Ask and ye shall receive... ::devilangel

Here's what I've got for Mega-Appearance. Hope you like 'em, they've definitely seen more use in noncombat scenarios than outright quantum free-for-alls! Enjoy! ::laugh

Ageless (Mega-Appearance)

Mega-Beautiful or Mega-Handsome novas with this enhancement don't seem to have an actual age like most folks- they simultaneously display both the vigor of youth and the polish of maturity. These novas are never considered to be either too young or too old by their admirers- they're always "just right".

System: Other people must roll Mega- Perception vs. the nova's Mega-Appearance +1 to accurately estimate the nova's age. Baselines and novas lacking Mega-Perception automatically fail that roll. One interesting wrinkle is that the nova's behavior can easily augment or negate the effects of this enhancement- if the nova acts in a juvenile or mature manner, others will assume that she is either juvenile or mature and treat her accordingly. Please note that the Storyteller is always within her rights to forbid this enhancement to novas whose typical appearance is either younger than the late teens or older than late middle age. This enhancement is permanent, and has no quantum point cost.

Anticipatory Visage (Mega-Appearance)

Novas with Mega-Appearance are already adept at looking like whatever other people want to see, but novas with this enhancement take that ability to a whole new level. Such a nova can appear to be anyone that a given person (or group of persons) expects to see, via a psychic illusion and possible shapeshifting on the nova's part. Some novas have taken this even farther, and are able to make people hear them say what they're expected to say- a few can pass off props as legitimate identifications and papers!

System: At its basic level, this enhancement lets the nova appear as whomever the subject(s) most expects to see in his current situation- the subject must roll Mega- Perception vs. the nova's Mega-Appearance +1 to see through this ruse. The nova can buy a second level of this enhancement to make his subject(s) hear whatever the nova says as what the subject(s) expect to hear. A third level of this enhancement lets the nova pass off the appropriate props as items his subject(s) would expect to be presented with- badges, official forms, licenses, and so forth.

One problem with this enhancement is that the basic level doesn't function through security cameras and the like, unless the nova also has either the Copycat enhancement or the Shapeshift power. In this case, the nova can shapeshift into the form of the person his subjects expect to see with no extra quantum point cost.

No matter how many levels of this enhancement the nova possesses, this enhancement costs 1 quantum point to use and lasts for either the entire scene or until the nova decides to switch it off.

Friendly Face (Mega-Appearance)

Something about the face of a nova with this enhancement reminds everyone of someone they like, causing complete strangers to be well-inclined to him because of that. Even if the nova attempts to explain their mistake to them, other people will still treat him well because of his supposed resemblance.

System: The nova gains + 3 automatic successes on all appropriate (read: non-hostile) Social-based rolls involving strangers. This is cumulative with other non-hostile Mega-Social enhancements. This enhancement is permanent, and has no quantum point cost.

Identity Shield (Mega-Appearance)

A nova with this enhancement has developed the near-inexplicable ability to prevent people from recognizing that the nova's multiple identities are in fact the same person. No matter how flimsy the precautions the nova takes to differentiate the appearances of his multiple identities (if the nova actually takes any precautions aside from a change of clothing), most people simply won't be able to make any connection between them.

(The best-known examples of this enhancement of this include Kal-El/Clark Kent/Superman from DC Comics and Tsukino Usagi/Sailor Moon from the _Sailor Moon_ anime series)

System: Other peoples must roll Mega- Perception vs. the nova's Mega-Appearance +1 to recognize that two or more of the nova's multiple identities are actually the same person. Baselines and novas lacking Mega-Perception automatically fail the roll. Even the nova's close friends and relatives won't make any connection between the nova's multiple identities. The nova may use this enhancement to protect up to [the nova's Mega-Appearance] of his multiple identities.

Of course, no rolls are necessary to make a connection between the nova's identities if the nova blows his cover in some manner. (This can either be deliberate- like coming out and telling one's significant other and/or parents about one's "secret identity"; or accidental- like changing from one identity to another while one's nosy sister looks on from inside the bedroom closet.)

Metamorph (Mega-Appearance)

This ability is the perfect counterpart to the Copycat enhancement, as it allows the nova to alter the small details of her body to duplicate those of another person without changing her actual appearance. Used in tandem with Copycat, this allows the nova to perform a near-perfect mimicry of a given person.

System: The nova can rolls Mega-Appearance to alter the small details of her body- the nova's fingerprints, retinal patterns, voiceprint, scent, and DNA are just a few of the identifying details that may be changed in order to mimic another person. Each success on the Mega-Appearance roll adds a +1 difficulty penalty on all rolls made to pierce the nova's disguise. The nova must either be in the presence of the person to be duplicated, or must have the appropriate scans or medical scans of that person's small details for this enhancement to function. The changes take less than a second to make.

Metamorph costs 1 quantum point to activate, and the changes last for a scene.

Metamorph does not let the nova add or remove anything from her physical form- would-be Metamorphs with aberrations such as Vestigial Limbs or Scales had best learn the Shapeshift power.

Natural Style (Mega-Appearance)

Everyone knows about somebody who's a real clothes horse- you know, the folks who can make the most horrid outfits look ravishing and never get their zippers stuck? Certain Mega-Beautiful or Mega-Handsome novas have developed the same ability, making them the darlings of the fashion world. A nova with this enhancement can expect many offers from fashion designers to become a literal supermodel.

System: The nova's bonus Style dice from his Mega-Appearance are doubled. Also, the nova never suffers from mundane clothing problems. This enhancement is permanent, and has no quantum point cost.

Oeuvre d'Art (Mega-Appearance)

While all Mega-Beautiful or Mega-Handsome novas exhibit superhuman appeal, a nova with this enhancement looks like he or she has just stepped out of the cover of a paperback romance novel. Such a nova is unparalleled on the dating scene, and could theoretically land anyone he or she wants.

These are also the novas who end up receiving marriage proposals from people they've only just met at cocktail parties. They have to deal with obsessive suitors (Can you say stalkers? Sure you can!) and the unrequited love of hordes of teenage groupies. And then there's the jealousy of those folks who end up being the nova's romantic rivals! In short, these novas have interesting social lives- the sort that makes excellent fodder for soap opera writers.

System: Certain details of the nova's appearance will have strong romantic significance for those people attracted to the nova's gender. Put simply, they will notice things about the nova that a dispassionate observer would miss entirely- the color of the nova's eyes, the way the nova's hair moves when blown by the wind, and so on. This grants the nova + [Mega-Appearance] automatic successes on any roll where being romantic and attractive to people who are attracted to the nova's gender would benefit the nova.

Rapture (Mega-Appearance)

A nova with this enhancement has developed superhuman attractiveness that is literally devastating. These novas have the kind of appeal only felt for rock stars or celebrities by their most devoted (obsessed?) fans.

System: The nova can make people who are attracted to his or her gender fall into a stupor with only a smile (and a quantum point). The nova's targets must roll Mega-Stamina at + [the nova's Mega-Appearance] difficulties to avoid swooning in rapture. Treat a targets of this enhancement as having been Dazed- (see Aberrant core book, pg. 249)- in game terms, the only real difference between swooning and being dazed is that swooning isn't accompanied by bashing damage.

This enhancement affects everyone who can see the nova (line-of-sight), costs 1 quantum point to use, and can only be used once per turn.

Splendor (Mega-Appearance)

It's an established fact that people have let the attraction they feel for beautiful people cloud their better judgement. A nova with this enhancement knows this well, as his or her her beauty can make those attracted to his or her gender react favorably towards the nova- even in hostile situations!

System: The nova gains +3 automatic successes on all Social rolls for dealing with people that are attracted to the nova's gender, who must also roll Willpower at +2 difficulties to attempt to harm the nova. The nova's less savory admirers may try to harm the nova in attempting to gain possession of him or her- or as part of that possession. This enhancement is permanent, and has no quantum point cost.

Timeless (Mega-Appearance)

Something of a counterpoint to Appearance Alteration, this enhancement allows the nova's beauty to transcend all superficial, cultural, and temporal notions of what's considered attractive or "cool". Such a nova would be equally attractive to people of the correct orientation anywhere on the planet.

System: The nova can ignore any and all Appearance-based penalties derived from superficial, cultural, and temporal notions of what's considered to be beautiful. The nova's looks don't change in the least.

Universal Appeal (Mega-Appearance)

Prerequisite: Two or more dots of the Shapeshift power

A nova with this enhancement is retains his superhuman beauty (if sometimes in a weird way) no matter what form he assumes. While often provoking commentary on the nova's personality, this can provide a number of unexpected benefits- most beings don't feel threatened by something they consider beautiful.

System: The nova's Mega-Appearance and most enhancements will apply in whatever nonhuman form the nova takes (unless the nova wishes otherwise), be it animal, alien, plant, mythological beast or inanimate object. Mega-Appearance enhancements dependent on sexual appeal are never "carried over" by this enhancement, for obvious reasons. This enhancement is permanent, and has no quantum point cost.

More on the way... ::hehe

I don't believe it, I have nothing to complain about! Just 1 thing to point out though, what can I say I like to talk ::biggrin. Anticipatory Visage is probably closer related to mega manipulation or its own power, rather than mega appearance, it's like pulling the jedi mind trick on someone. I'm not too sure about Metamorph, but it works so what the hell. ::thumbsup

Re: Anticipatory Visage- Yeah, I did have some trouble deciding which Mega-Attribute to list it under. (Esp. when you consider the Conflicting Accounts enhancement!) ::blink

Anyway, I chose Mega-Appearance since the first level of the enhancement ties in so well with Copycat. What with all the security cameras the early 21st Century (Aeoniverse) must have, not tying it in with Copycat seemed like shooting yourself in the foot... ::crazy

Re: Metamorph- It may not be worth much for casual impersonation, but it's an absolute must-have for the serious infiltrator. I mean, what hideaway of Project Proteus ISN'T going to have gods-only-know what sorts of devices set up for the express purpose of catching those pesky shapeshifters?

See ya later!

Hey guys, i'm a constant lurker who decided enough is enough and decided to pitch in.

I've started a Teen 2morrow campaign and in looking around for new powers and enhancements to wow my players, i found this thread. Great things i've seen, generally speaking. But their was one power described in particular that just didn't sit well with me.

Quantum Gadget. As described, someone attempting to make Captain Americas shield could have the exact same power as one making Thors uru mallet Mjolnir. Also, a chose is given in the techniques themsleves in whether or not to do bashing or lethal damage. I think that should hinge on the item in question (a sword is a sword; it's gonna do lethal damage regardless). The last problem i really had with it was the fact it didn't take the physical strength of the nova in question. Mjolnir does Mjolnir damage partly because it's Thor throwing it. If Captain America threw Mjolnir, it wouldn't do nearly as much damage. Captain Americas shield would destroy mountains if Thor threw it.

So i changed some things and added some others.

Quantum Gadget

Level: 3

Quantum Minimum: 4

Dice Pool:Variable

Range: Special

Area: N/A

Duration: Variable

Effect: Character can imprint his Quantum signature onto a unique weapon, empowering it with various effects.

Multiple Actions: Yes

Description:

In a manner similar to both Elemental Anima & the normal Attunement Background the Nova imprints his Quantum signature onto a specific object, usually a melee weapon. This empowered object becomes highly resisiant to damage itself, & the Nova gains certain powers of control over the object. The player may (as always) pick one technique per dot, & try others for double the Quantum point cost & a difficulty penalty of 1.

The item has the structural capacity and does as much damage as a normal weapon of it’s type plus the following: The item itself gains 6 Soak against all forms of attack per dot the Nova possesses in this power. This Soak in no way applies to the Nova himself, only the item if it is attacked directly. If damaged, the item can be repaired by the Nova at the cost of 1 Quantum point per level of normal damage, or 3 per level of Aggravated damage. The item has the same number & type of Structural Levels as a vehicle (Aberrant p.279), dice pool penalties due to damage are subtracted from all rolls involving the item. If the item is destroyed the Nova may imprint a new, similar, item as the ST sees fit (it may take a story to find an new item "in tune" enough to be used, or it may just take some time & Quantum points). In any case, the loss or destruction of the item will feel to the Nova like the loss of part of himself - like an arm or a leg - & may (as the ST sees fit) incur a loss of Temporary Willpower, or a gain in Temporary Taint. If trying to sense the location of her Q-Weapon the Nova adds her dots in Q-Weapon to her Node score for the range & dice pool of the detection attempt. A Nova with Q-weapon & an alternate form (via Dormancy 4 or 5) can choose for the Q-Weapon to have an alternate form when "Dormed" as well (e.g. a mighty war-hammer Q-Weapon that looks like a simple walking stick when the Nova is Dormed). Any nova with the Attunement background can attempt to attune him/herself with the gadget, gaining the use of all of its abilities and techniques. The nova can do so by making a Willpower roll with a +1 difficulty, +1 difficulty per dot in Quantum Gadget. The nova can add additional dice to the willpower roll equal to his/ her dots in Attunement.

Techniques:

Power Throw:

Dice Pool: Dex + Q-Weapon

Range: (Quantum + power rating) x 10m

Duration: Instant

The Nova hurls his weapon at a target, inflicting the weapons normal damage +[Quantum x2] +STR dice of bashing damage or the weapons normal damage + [Quantum] +STR lethal damage (player must choose which when purchasing). The instant after the target is struck the weapon flies back to the Nova's hand (although for that instant the Nova is without the weapon & an enemy with a delayed action can try to act before the weapon returns. This applies to all similar techniques that involve throwing the weapon). Note: Novas with Mega strength could very well throw the weapon further than its listed range. If this option is taken, the weapon will not return, but stays where it lands until retrieved.

Ricochet Throw:

Dice Pool: Dex + Q-Weapon

Range: (Quantum + power rating) x 10m

The Nova throws his weapon in such a way as it glances off several targets before returning to his hand. Each target takes the weapons normal damage +STR + (power rating x2) dice of damage. The character can strike (power rating +1) targets in each such attack with a +1 difficulty modifier for every target after the first. Note: Novas with Mega strength could very well throw the weapon further than its listed range. If this option is taken, the weapon will not return, but stay where it lands until retrieved.

Parry:

Dice Pool: N/A

Range: Self

The Nova uses his weapon to block & parry all incoming attacks. Each turn she can subtract her rating in Q-Weapon from the attack successes of any attack she can perceive. Parry only works against ranged attacks like energy and missile weapons. Parry is ineffective against melee, area, and explosive attacks.

Return:

Dice Pool: Str + Q-Weapon

Range: (Quantum + power rating) x 20m

With a thought & a gesture the Nova calls his Q-Weapon to his hand. The dice pool is used as the Might score to counter the Might of anyone trying to restrain the weapon, or against the strength of the bonds confining it. Anything between the returning Q-Weapon & the Nova will be struck (if it doesn't move) for a number of damage levels equal to the weapons damage + twice the successes rolled, & have their Initiative reduced on the next turn by one per success.

Power Strike:

The Nova strikes with the Q-Weapon in melee hand-to-hand combat. The Q-Weapon adds (power rating x2) dice to the Nova's normal damage.

Channel Power:

Duration: Varies

The Nova takes an action, pays the Quantum point cost for the Technique, & channels one of her other Quantum Powers through the weapon. The channeled power gains additional dice to its normal dice pool equal to the character's power rating in Quantum Weapon.

Transfer Power:

Range: Quantum Gadget

Duration: Varies

The Nova can imbue the Quantum gadget with Quantum powers which work independently from the nova. The nova him/herself doesn’t have the power, the Gadget does. Purchasing a power for the Quantum Gadget costs ½ the nova points it would have cost normally, rounded down. The powers purchased for the Gadget can be bought tainted. Aberrations that may result from taint are reflected in the gadget, not the nova. Vulnerabilities, feeding requirements, bad vibes, power surges, glowing, and other physical manifestations are common.

The duration of powers bought for the gadget is the same as the powers description. Permanent powers are still permanent and powers with set durations need directions from its wielder to activate.

The Quantum Gadget has an internal quantum pool equal to 3x the quantum trait of the nova who imbued it. Meanwhile, the person who imbued the gadget has his/her quantum pool reduced by ½ the number of quantum points the gadget gained. The nova can choose to give the Quantum Gadget more quantum points, but he/she loses those points permanently. Furthermore, any increase in the novas quantum pool from the time of the gadgets creation on is split equally with the gadget. If the Gadget is ever destroyed, the nova will then be able to gain back quantum up to his/her normal rating. The Quantum Gadgets quantum pool regenerates at a rate of 3 points an hour. The wielder of the Quantum Gadget can choose to use his/her own quantum instead of the gadgets reserves.

The Quantum Gadget is vulnerable to disruption, but gets +2 automatic successes per dot in Quantum Gadget against such a thing.

Extras: Self Awareness. At a cost of 1 permanent quantum point per 3 dots, the Quantum Gadget can be given dots in mental and social traits with the exception of appearance. This is permanent until destroyed. Lost quantum can be replenished normally if the gadget is destroyed. The self aware gadget can communicate via telepathy with the nova it is attuned with via touch. The self aware gadget can use transferred powers which rely on mental or social attributes. Note: Although self aware gadgets are naturally subservient to the nova who created it, the gadget can rebel from its master if the master acts or does things contrary to his/her nature. A contested roll of the novas willpower +attunement vs the gadgets rating +quantum put into self awareness must be made to force the gadget into service. Any remaining successes the gadget may have is applied as a loss of dice pool in using the gadgets abilities. If the gadgets dice pool is reduced to half, the ability the nova wants to use doesn’t work at all; Telepathic range. A gadget already self aware can now communicate with its attuned wielder at a range of Quantum Gadget x100m.

Well, waddaya think? ::confused

Interesting ideas there Defcon 1. It's nice to know people actually read the stuff I post when I'm bored ::biggrin !

A few comments:

- the Parry technique should cover hand-to-hand & melee attacks, that's what a Parry is after all ::sly ! I'd agree with the not covering area attacks though (you can't parry a cloud of gas for example).

- the Bashing / Lethal thing was an attempt to reflect the way these things are protrayed in the comics. Cap's shield, for example, has shown on many occassions that it can inflict both types of damage with the same "hit by the edge" attack (it knocks some guys out, but also cleanly cuts ropes or imbeds in walls). The same can be said for swords & the like (you can hit someone with the edge or point, or the flat of the blade or the pommel).

- the idea of Strength based damage is certainly an option, although my original concept was for a Quantum Power that resembled comic-book style weapons / gadgets, rather than the 'real thing' - hence the damage was mostly divorced from Strength. Also, the last thing you want to do is to make a power that allows ranged Mega-Strength with no limitations - 25 extra levels of damage on a ranged attack are just nasty ::nervous ! Normally Mega-Strength guys have to rely on throwing stuff (cars, dumpsters, other Novas, etc.). Still, the damage bonuses for the power you list seem reasonable enough not to be too unbalancing, & I loved the idea of throwing the Q-Gadget beyond it's normal range via Mega-Strength.

- I'm not sure about the need for the self-awareness extra. Couldn't you just take the weapon's "personality" as a dot in Allies ::confused ?

- the option for other Novas to Attune to & use the Q-Gadget is a dangerous one. If used I'd add that the original creator can always take the weapon back / has a priority (or over-ride if you like) over what is, essentially, an extension of his own self, & that the weapon's powers die when the creator dies. The concept of another Nova using the Q-Gadget does seem to go against my original intent for it - an extension of a character's Quantum signature. I'd suggest that another Nova would have to use Quantum Imprint to gain access to the weapon's abilitys.

- the Transfer Power technique also appears to violate the premise for the power to some extent. With the original Q-Gadget the Nova is extending his Quantum Signature, not cutting part of it off from himself. The power's origins are in the Attunement Background, & you can't permanently sacrifice your own power to permanently Attune something. Transfer Power is also an invitation for twinkery of the greatest level, especially the part about the weapon, rather than the Nova, gaining aberrations.

Oh, & welcome to non-lurker-ville! ::smiley5 ::thumbsup ::biggrin

I had an idea for an enhancement. See I want to there to be version of the Mega-Strength enhancement Precision for Mega-Social Attributes. The idea was that the character could control how much "social power" the character dish out in a situation so as not to overwhelme anyone (unless they wanted to of course) & be able to turn on just enough charm or beauty to get what they want. Also I think it should cancel out the social penalty for having the Unearthly Beauty aberration, but only lower the nova's social penalty by 1 at most.

I am just not sure exactly how to go about making it up & what the specific game mechanics for it would be. I am thinking it would be a Mega-Manipulation enhancement.

Any thoughts?

the Parry technique should cover hand-to-hand & melee attacks, that's what a Parry is after all ::sly ! I'd agree with the not covering area attacks though (you can't parry a cloud of gas for example).

I kind of struggled with this one. But ultimately, when i think of parrying with a weapon in a manner that gives someone difficulties to hit, i think of Thors whirling shield. And i don't think i ever saw Thor parry melee attacks with it. Still, i see your point.

the Bashing / Lethal thing was an attempt to reflect the way these things are protrayed in the comics. Cap's shield, for example, has shown on many occassions that it can inflict both types of damage with the same "hit by the edge" attack (it knocks some guys out, but also cleanly cuts ropes or imbeds in walls). The same can be said for swords & the like (you can hit someone with the edge or point, or the flat of the blade or the pommel).

When i think of the comics, and caps ability to both do both bashing and lethal damage, i'm thinking maybe the shield is designed to do both. If the weapon in question can do both, that's fine with me. Also, if someone with a sword wanted to use the flat of the blade, then i'd just give him a difficulty modifier for using the weapon in a way it wasn't deigned for. No need to create rules to govern that.

the idea of Strength based damage is certainly an option, although my original concept was for a Quantum Power that resembled comic-book style weapons / gadgets, rather than the 'real thing' - hence the damage was mostly divorced from Strength. Also, the last thing you want to do is to make a power that allows ranged Mega-Strength with no limitations - 25 extra levels of damage on a ranged attack are just nasty ::nervous ! Normally Mega-Strength guys have to rely on throwing stuff (cars, dumpsters, other Novas, etc.). Still, the damage bonuses for the power you list seem reasonable enough not to be too unbalancing, & I loved the idea of throwing the Q-Gadget beyond it's normal range via Mega-Strength.

Yeah, i know it's pushing the envelope a bit when it comes to mega strength, but really, once the decision is made to make a power like Quantum Gadget, all bets are off. Anyway, taking a look at Quantum Bolt, i don't really see how a mega strength nova hurling a quantum weapon is all that broken. Especially seeing as the range is smaller and the fact that he could actually lose it.

I'm not sure about the need for the self-awareness extra. Couldn't you just take the weapon's "personality" as a dot in Allies ::confused ?

Well, seeing as a couple of dots of allies can have one with an ally more powerful than the nova himself, and the inherent etherealness of the background, i think something more concrete is needed. The fact that something self aware can be tricked, persuaded and can do the same to others, i think the average PC would want something on paper to represent this.

As for the transfer Power? Yeah, it's Pandoras box. But the PC making it will realize that not only is it costing him nova points and quantum pool to do it, but he can lose the thing. That'll pretty much keep the powermongering to a minimum. The gadget being an extention of the nova? It still is. But since he applyed part of himself to a physical device, unlike say, Quantum Construct, he can now lose part of himself. It's kind of like mega intelligent novas creating gadgets. They have to give quantum points to do it, but it still can be lost or taken.

You've given me food for thought though. I'll consider a bit more before i throw it out for use.....or maybe i'll just experiment with it on an NPC ::devilangel

The gadget being an extention of the nova? It still is. But since he applyed part of himself to a physical device, unlike say, Quantum Construct, he can now lose part of himself. It's kind of like mega intelligent novas creating gadgets. They have to give quantum points to do it, but it still can be lost or taken

In that case I'd say just modify the existing Gadgeteering rules to include \"non-tech\" gadgets; the concept of a Quantum Power is something the Nova himself does. It's just that in this case the power is an extension of the Quantum Signature into a device - the signature is still part of the character, he doesn't \"loose\" it (just like you loose nothing for Attunement). It's an extension, not a sacrifice - that's an important difference.

Well, seeing as a couple of dots of allies can have one with an ally more powerful than the nova himself, and the inherent etherealness of the background, i think something more concrete is needed. The fact that something self aware can be tricked, persuaded and can do the same to others, i think the average PC would want something on paper to represent this.

So why can't you give your Allies stats? Why is an Ally not \"concrete\"? Why is he/she \"ethereal\"?

When i think of the comics, and caps ability to both do both bashing and lethal damage, i'm thinking maybe the shield is designed to do both. If the weapon in question can do both, that's fine with me. Also, if someone with a sword wanted to use the flat of the blade, then i'd just give him a difficulty modifier for using the weapon in a way it wasn't deigned for. No need to create rules to govern that.

Well Cap's shield does Bashing or Lethal with exactly the same move - no design cleverness there, just an "impossible" comics fudge - & something I tried to simulate with the power. As for swords not being designed to do Bashing damage - you should check out some medieval combat manuals: all parts of each weapon were used, for a huge variety of effects (swords used 'normally', striking with the blade, or reversed, gripping the blade & clubbing with the hilt, or hooking an opponent's neck or leg with the crosspiece, etc. - things like polearms are even more diverse).

Well, we've finally got a bit of activity on this thread! ::hehe

Re: the Mega-Social "Precision" enhancement- That certainly sounds like a good idea, t-dev, although I'd be more likely to place it under Mega-Wits (as per the structure for Mega-Social combat presented in _Aberrant: Worldwide I_. If you've got the Aberrant Player's Guide, it shouldn't be hard to write it up- don't let me be the only one shelling out new enhancements here, okay? ::laugh It sounds great, so go for it!

Anyway here's my latest collection of salvaed and adapted enhancements, posted here for your amusement and gaming pleasure. Feedback greatly appreciated, as always. ::cool It's Mega-charisma this time, so enjoy (I hope)! ::tongue

Amiable (Mega-Charisma)

Mega-Charismatic novas excel at befriending other people, but the appeal of a nova with this enhancement is truly a wonder to behold. Aside from being able to befriend all but the most antisocial people, these novas can temporarily defuse the rage and hatred of hundreds of baselines by their charm alone. Nova employment agencies spare no expense to retain these novas, so that they can defuse protests and demonstrations that turn violent- or could be inconvenient for their client.

System: The nova gets +3 automatic successes on all Social rolls involving friendly interaction with other people. The nova can also charm entire raging mobs with a Charisma roll- 1 success turns hostility into cautious neutrality, while 2 or more indicates increasing degrees of friendliness on the part of the erstwhile rioters for up to [the nova's Mega-Charisma] days.

Note that the nova MUST behave in a friendly and non-hostile manner for either function of this enhancement to function- it doesn't supersede common sense, just prejudice and bigotry.

If the nova has 5 or more dots of Mega-Charisma, he can purchase a second level of this enhancement (granting +6 automatic successes instead of only +3).

The automatic successes provided by this require no quantum points to use. Charming masses of rioting people costs 1 quantum point, and lasts for the duration of the scene.

Anodyne (Mega-Charisma)

Prerequisite: Mega-Charisma 6+ and the Soothe enhancement.

Novas who develop the upper ranges of Mega-Charisma are unquestionably some of the most likeable people on the planet. Novas with this enhancement take this to an extreme- they seem to light up any room they enter, and can make your day cheerier and more hopeful just by showing up. The reason for this is that these novas have become living fonts of psychological vitality. This effect makes the stress and mental damage of the people around them seem to instantly melt away in their presence (if only for a little while). Needless to say, others (nova and baseline alike) find these novas to be extremely pleasant company. Novas who manifest this ability sometimes also develop superhuman skills in psychology and mental therapy, reflecting their aptitude for ensuring the mental health of those around them.

System: The nova gains +3 automatic successes on rolls involving positive social interaction (read: friendly, non-hostile, and non-violent), and can function at his top psychological capacity indefinitely. He can also recover from permanent mental disorders (but not mental aberrations, unfortunately) as if they were temporary and is immune to both despair and depression. (This is mental fortitude, not polyannaism- novas with this enhancement are no more and no less perceptive of their circumstances than any other nova.) If the nova has the Telepathy power, he can repair permanent mental traumas (read: mental disorders, certain flaws such as addictions, and Willpower loss- again, this can't affect mental aberrations) as if they were temporary AND gets a difficulty bonus of -2 on power rolls involving beneficial telepathic effects. The nova's presence is enough to temporarily dampen the mental traumas and stress of all beings within 10 meters of the nova- this is assumed to be always "on", but can be switched off as an automatic action.

There is a downside to all of this, however: people with either Willpower scores of 4 or less or who suffer from mental disorders (including mental aberrations!) are at risk of becoming psychologically dependent on the mental trauma/stress dampening field emitted by a nova with Anodyne. Such characters must make a Willpower roll for every three consecutive hours spent in the nova's presence. While gaining even one success means the character has maintained control of him- or herself, failing the roll means that the character must spend a temporary Willpower point and flee the nova's presence or become addicted (as the 2-point Flaw from the _Aberrant Player's Guide_ to the nova's presence. Those who botch the Willpower roll are automatically addicted. Note: while the mental trauma/stress dampening field of a nova with Anodyne does not lessen the effects of mental aberrations in any way, Tainted novas still find this effect to be very pleasant. It doesn't help them as much as it provides a psychological "high" that they can become addicted to quite easily. For this reason, novas with Anodyne risk acquiring many unwanted friends...

This enhancement is permanent and usually has no quantum point cost.

Assimilation (Mega-Charisma)

Mega-Charismatic novas tend to be masters at getting along with other people. Novas who develop this enhancement take it a step further, as they instinctively know how best to "fit in" and function effectively in even the most foreign of cultures. In short, these novas never suffer from "Ugly Tourist Syndrome".

System: The nova gets +3 automatic successes on rolls for "fitting in" with unfamiliar societies and cultures, and can ingore any and all difficulty penalties derived from cultural differences. While she cannot conceal any obvious racial differences with this enhancement, this allows her to successfully mimic the behavior and mannerisms of the locals. One wrinkle is that the locals with whom the nova interacts will consider her to be "one of them" for up to [the nova's Mega-Charisma] days, despite any evidence to the contrary.

This enhancement costs 1 quantum point to use, and lasts for an entire 24-hour period.

Bardic Gift (Mega-Charisma)

Many novas in the performing arts have amazed people worldwide with their works of superhuman virtuousity. A nova with this enhancement has a flair for the performing arts that's simply incredible.

System: The nova gains + [the nova's Mega-Charisma] automatic successes on all Social rolls involving the performing arts (music, singing, dance, acting, etc.) The nova may also make a Charisma roll to have her performance evoke any emotions she desires in her audience through sheer artistic merit. This is not direct manipulation, like the Emotion Manipulation power- it works through the same psychological inputs that baseline performers have used for centuries. This enhancement costs 1 quantum point to activate, and lasts for the duration of the performance. Any emotions evoked by the nova's performance will remain with the audience for a while afterwards, just like the effects of any other good performance.

Beguiling (Mega-Charisma)

Everyone knows about someone like this- the hunks and babes who are so attractive that their admirers are effectively turned into blithering idiots upon catching sight of them. A nova with this enhancement has a quantum-enhanced version of that ability, making them all the more devastating in the social arena.

System: People who are romantically/sexually attracted to the nova function with either reduced Intelligence or Wits (chosen when this enhancement is taken) when interacting socially with the nova. Subtract [the nova's Mega-Charisma] from both the subjects' Mega-Intelligence or Mega-Wits AND the base attribute- the Mega-Attributes can be reduced to nil, while the base attributes can only be reduced to a score of 2. The subjects also lose the benefit of the Common Sense Merit, if any of them even have it to begin with. Once the subjects leave the nova's immediate presence (where she can't be easily perceived), they will return to normal mental function after [the nova's Mega-Charisma /2] turns have passed.

It's possible for the nova to buy a second level of this enhancement, so that she affects both the effective Intelligence and Wits scores of her subjects.

This enhancement is permanent (but can be switched on and off at will) and has no quantum point cost.

Example: Daedelus League nova Carmelita Sanchez has Mega-Charisma 5, the Beguiling enhancement (affecting Wits), and a large number of admirers. An old college boyfriend of hers from college by the name of Professor Walter DuBois has recently erupted, gaining Mega-Wits 4 and increased self-confidence among his other gifts; and has decided to try and restablish his love affair with Carmelita. Managing to meet with Carmelita after a joint NASA/Daedelus League-sponsored seminar at NYU, Walter decides to sound her out on reviving their relationship. But as he catches sight of her, he feels butterflies in his stomach... (Carmelita's Mega-Charisma completely eliminates Walter's Mega-Wits, and leaves him with an effective Wits score of 2.) Reduced to the mental level of a baseline, all he can manage to do is exchange mild pleasantries with Carmelita, who's delighted to tell her old college buddy about her engagement to Dr. Matthew Connors. Later that night, Walter decides to drown his sorrows at the Blackburn Hotel...

Candor (Mega-Charisma)

Novas with this enhancement are capable of radiating a sincerity that many politicians and spin doctors would kill to have. Ironically enough, it wouldn't do them much good- this ability is dependent on the honesty of the nova. While it's great for getting truthful statements accepted at face value, it's pretty much useless for perpetrating deceptions, spin-doctoring, and political campaigns.

System: The nova gains +3 automatic successes on all Social rolls involving honesty on her part. She can also have a statement of hers automatically accepted at face value- no matter how inflammatory- as long as the nova is truly being honest. This enhancement is permanent and has no quantum point cost.

Carte Blanche (Mega-Charisma)

Even for Mega-Charismatic novas, social mores can be major stumbling blocks when interacting with baseline society- the Middle East stands as a prime example of a largely nova-hostile culture. A nova with this enhancement has little need to worry about the locals and their ideas of propriety, as even the most reactionary and hidebound of them would be unwilling to confront the nova about her nonconformity.

System: The nova can safely ignore the social mores of the culture she is currently in as long as she's polite and not unduly belligerent. Others must roll Willpower against the nova's [Mega-Charisma +1] to even think about criticizing, harassing, or abusing her for deviating from the local social mores. Those who fail the roll won't react with irritation and hostility, instead accepting the nova's behavior as harmless eccentricity. Baselines automatically fail this roll. This enhancement is permanent and has no quantum point cost.

Dolor (Mega-Charisma)

Novas can make for truly intimidating foes, as many members of the Directive could attest. A nova with this enhancement has raised intimidation to an art form, as he can make crowds of baselines cower with his glare.

System: The nova can cow up to [Mega-Charisma] Inspired beings and entire raging mobs of the non-Inspired into fleeing his vicinity in fear, shame, and submission. For Inspired beings, roll the nova's Mega-Charisma against the Willpower of his targets. Scaring off the non-Inspired only requires a simple Mega-Charisma roll. 1 success indicates that the nova's subjects retreat from the area and will refuse to return for [the nova's Mega-Charisma] hours. 2 or more successes indicate that the subjects won't return until they have concrete evidence that the nova has left the area. This enhancement costs 1 quantum point to activate.

Dragon Gaze (Mega-Charisma)- [Final Revision]

Ever see a bird freeze in dreadful fascination as it stares at a snake? A nova with this enhancement has developed much the same ability, as she can petrify a chosen victim with fear by locking gazes with him.

System: The nova makes a contested Mega-Charisma roll against the target's Willpower. If the nova gains at least two successes on the roll the target will remain effectively paralyzed with fear until the scene ends; unless the target is even slightly physically disturbed by someone or something (an insect landing on the target's face would be sufficient), or hostile action is taken against him. If the target has a Willpower of 4 or less, he could remain immobilized for days if something doesn't distract or physically disturb him.

This enhancement costs 1 quantum point to activate, and can only affect one victim per use.

Endearing (Mega-Charisma)

Mega-Charismatic novas can easily charm the socks off most people, sometimes literally! A nova with this enhancement takes that charm a bit further, as he can inspire lasting feelings of friendship and affection for him in even the most prejudiced and hostile people, given sufficient time and social interaction.

System: If the nova desires, people who interact with him socially must roll Willpower against [the nova's Mega-Charisma +1]. Those who fail the roll will be unable to feel prejudice and hostility towards the nova for the duration of the scene- instead, they'll be puzzled and begin questioning those hateful feelings.

If the nova engages in civil, nonhostile social interaction with the subjects, any feelings of prejudice and hostility they might have had will be replaced by a growing sense of friendship (and affection, in the case of subjects who are attracted to the nova's gender). These feelings will be made permanent (unless the nova is insincere in his attempt to befriend the subjects or does something horrible later on to change their feelings about him) if the nova can engage the subjects in [11 - the nova's Mega-Charisma] further turns of positive social interaction.

This enhancement costs 1 quantum point to use, and is cumulative with the Amiable enhancement.

Gall (Mega-Charisma)

Novas with this enhancement have the audacity to stand up to anyone, be it a naughty kid or Divis Mal. This isn't brash, foolhardy behavior- these novas are still polite. They simply are more likely to be respected by those whom they confront; regardless of their relative strength, power, or influence.

System: The nova gains +3 automatic successes for any roll that involves a display of backbone and/or forthrightness- including any roll made to resist Mega-Social enhancements and Razor Wit* (Mega-Wits).

This enhancement is permanent and has no quantum point cost.

(*- See _Aberrant: Brainwaves_ for details.)

Inclusion (Mega-Charisma)

This enhancement is very similar to the Mr. Nobody enhancement of Mega-Appearance, and is just as valuable when a nova doesn't want to attract attention to himself. It paradoxically makes the nova seem to be mundane and nonthreatening to others- a big plus in diverting suspicion away from oneself. Novas with this enhancement are often found working in espionage trade.

System: The nova rolls Mega-Charisma to infiltrate a chosen group, who will think of him as a long-term (if dull) member of their group. Infiltrating a group comprised only of baselines requires just 1 success. Mixed groups and groups comprised of only daredevils/paramorphs or aliens require 2 successes to infiltrate. Groups with either psiads/psions or stalwarts/novas require 3 successes to infiltrate.

Note that the less the nova has to say or do while infiltrating a group, the easier time he'll have evading detection as an infiltrator. This enhancement costs 1 quantum point to activate, and lasts for the duration of the infiltration.

Mystique (Mega-Charisma)

Ever since N-Day, novas have always been considered to be larger than life by the common people, who see them as being far more dramatic or "cool" than any baseline could ever be. A nova with this enhancement capitalizes on that idea; she's the "coolest of the cool", always appears to be in control, and is totally suave.

The downside of this is that some people will mistake the nova's mystique for arrogance and react negatively towards her, especially if they see her as a rival- or worse, a romantic rival...

System: The nova gains +3 AS on all Social rols where failure would be embarassing for her. The nova also cannot botch Social rolls (botches are treated as simple failures), is immune to minor embarassing mishaps, and is incapable of making social blunders and faux pas. Finally, the nova's aura of "coolness", power, and self-confidence makes most people respect her upon catching sight of her. (Subjects must roll Willpower against the nova's Mega-Charisma +1 to resist this).

Perfect Poise (Mega-Charisma)

Mega-Charismatic novas never get their feathers ruffled, exhibiting superhuman poise and charm in even the most trying situations. A nova with this enhancement takes that capability further, making her just about unflappable, even in the most apocalyptic of situations.

System: The nova gains +3 automatic successes both on rolls for staredowns (a form of the Intimidation ability) and Social rolls involving poise, grace, and composure. The nova is wholly immune to panic and is incapable of showing discomfort, shock, or surprise. The nova also gains [Mega-Charisma] extra dice in any situation where maintaining a "poker face" would be of benefit to the nova.

Screen Presence (Mega-Charisma)

Whatever other gifts Mega-Charisma gives the nova, they are still just as potent when the nova is recorded. Videotape, holographic storage and similar media all convey the nova's superhuman charm.

System: The nova can be recorded while using charisma-related Abilities. They apply with full strength when shown to audiences elsewhere: Targets must resist the successes the nova achieves, just as if they were present when the nova used her power.

(Yes, this is the Mega-Charisma equivalent of Almost Live, and is cumulative with that enhancement.)

Trustworthy (Mega-Charisma)

A nova with this enhancement apparently has a master spin doctor acting his guardian angel- both the nova and his actions will be presented in the best possible spin where his audience is concerned.

System: Roll [the nova's Mega-Charisma +1 against the target's Willpower] to instantly gain the trust, goodwill, and friendship of anyone who notices the nova- the nova's targets will see him as a "good guy" and will not willingly attack him. Also, the nova's targets will always see the nova and his actions in the best possible light and will feel that the nova had good reason for them. This doesn't coerce the nova's targets in any other way, nor does it supersede common sense.

This enhancement costs 1 quantum point to activate, and lasts for the duration of the scene. Note that the nova always appears trustworthy even when he's not actively using this enhancement, in much the same manner as Awe-Inspiring.

(This last bit added to clear up any confusion on using this. Enjoy! ::cool )

Universal Charm (Mega-Charisma)

While Mega-Charismatic novas are famous for getting along with just about anyone on Earth; a nova with this enhancement can get along with just about anyone, period! Such a nova can socially interact well with any form of sapient being they encounter, no matter if it's a Zep scientist or Joe Schmoe from Cleveland.

System: The nova's Mega-Charisma and most enhancements are equally effective against any type of sapient being. Mega-Charisma enhancements dependent on sexual appeal can't be used with most alien races, for obvious reasons. (The only exception to this is the"weird-looking human" variety of aliens portrayed in the various _Star Trek_ tv/movie series and the _Lum*Urusei Yatsura_ manga/anime series.)

The nova also gains a -[Mega-Charisma] difficulty bonus on all social rolls for interacting with aliens, baseline humans, tainted or high-Chrysalis novas, psions, daredevils, etc.

Feel free to tell me what you think, folks. And yes, there's more on the way... ::devilangel

Hey there, phoenix. ::smiley5

Re: Perfect Poise- There was a case for listing it as a Mega-Wits enhancement, but that idea was tanked when Aberrant: Brainwaves was released. ::biggrin (Yay!)

Anyway, I retrofitted the darn thing until it would work as a complement to the Unfazeable enhancement (Mega-Wits) presented in Brainwaves.

BTW, as a fellow Urusei Yatsura fan... has anyone ever thought of trying to write up Moroboshi Ataru as a nova? Considering that he's the "Most Lecherous Being In The Universe", I'd be hard-pressed to think of any other game system that could handle him. (Although _Teenagers From Outer Space_ and the online _Ranma 1/2_ RPGs might've been workable.)

::biggrin To heck with Ataru - how about Lum? Let's see.. I'd give her the Elemental Mastery power Storm as a level 2 power (Electrical Blast) that deals Bashing damage.. and then Flight. Maybe consider the horns either an abberation or a Body Modification, and give a medium level abberation in the form of a mental block - she can't use her powers with ribbon on her horns. Hee hee.. this is fun, I'd better stop before I start working on Eat-Man or Parasyte and become occupied for the rest of my life.

Anyway.. What do you guys think of this?

Medium Level Abberation – Semi-Permanent Power

The nova’s taint has reached a point where her control over one of her powers is limited, but not completely gone. In game terms, this is the same as the abberation Permanent Power, except it can be "turned off" with effort. Because I’m extremely lazy, the power is deactivated and suppressed the same way it would normally be activated and maintained – through concentration or point expenditure.

Example: Jack "Boulder" Britton has Semi-Permanent Sizemorph 1 (Grow). He needs to go inside a building to conduct business or maybe just use the bathroom, so he spends two quanta and shrinks down to a reasonable size. He can maintain his normality as though it were a level 2 power.

So why can't you give your Allies stats? Why is an Ally not "concrete"? Why is he/she "ethereal"?

I call Allies ethereal because, to the PCs' it is. The stats of the ally are totally up to the storyteller. How powerfull is that 3 dot ally? Totally up to the ST.

Also, seeing as a 1 dot ally is supposed to be equal to the PC, is it accurate to apply that to a Quantum Gadget, which is just one facet of the PCs abilities?

Then there's the trust factor. Seeing as Quantum Gadget in itself can be a formidable power which can cost the PC a lot of nova points, he/she would have to be quite gracious and trusting indeed to allow the ST to arbitrarily control the gadget thru the use of the background Allies, creating mental and social stats on the bases of the Allies rating.

And seeing as a 1 in Allies is already more powerfull than the gadget should be, the ST would be cheating the PC to begin with, and then would also have to put a cap on the Allies rating when it concerns the gadget, because it would certainly not be allowed a rating of 2 or more.

No, i think giving the PC the control to create the intelligence of the gadget creates the feeling of control the PCs' should have. And seeing as Quantum Construct allows for self aware constructs and gives rules on how to do it, i think it would be a crime to take the control out of the PCs hands by relegating the gadgets intelligence to a dot in Allies.

Speaking of Quantum Construct, i may be mistaken, but the power is worded in such a way as to not restrict its use toward creating "creatures" and other living facsimiles. One could create quantum objects as well no?

If that's the case, the power is but one Dumbo Syndrome away from Green Lanterns power ring. Add other weaknesses like dependency (recharging), and high level vulnerabilities to say..yellow or something, and you could possibly lower the cost of the power and increase the multiple actions from no to yes.

Am i wrong?

No, i think giving the PC the control to create the intelligence of the gadget creates the feeling of control the PCs' should have. And seeing as Quantum Construct allows for self aware constructs and gives rules on how to do it, i think it would be a crime to take the control out of the PCs hands by relegating the gadgets intelligence to a dot in Allies.

Right, so you're advocating allowing the PC with the Q-Gadget to play the 'personality' of the weapon as well? Doesn't that defeat the much of the role-play potential that a self-aware device creates ::confused ?

On that note, you'd allow PCs who used the Q-Construct Extra to create self-aware constructs to play those constructs? I guess I just understand the term "self-aware" a little differently... ::sly

If the ST's to play the weapon's personality, why not just make it an Ally? Or a Follower for that matter, or a Mentor - depending on the relationship between the weapon & it's 'owner'?

Remember, this thing will be a long-term NPC in any game it's in, unlike a Q-Construct (even with Self-Aware & Longevity it'll be gone soon enough).

And yes, Q-Construct does help to simlulate Green Lantern's ring (along with Elemental Mastery - Green Oan Energy, the Adaptability Enhancement for Mega-Stamina, something like Quantum Awareness, Force Field, & a whole host of other powers). If trying to simulate the thing with a single power I'd lean towards the Elemental Mastery, since it covers the basics (energy walls, cages, blasts, flight, etc.), & can even make 'stuff' (using the Animation technique from the APG & the Shaping technique from Elemental Anima) - & can do that stuff instantly (unlike the create one action, use the next action Q-Contruct), & repeatedly (again unlike Q-Constuct).

Right, so you're advocating allowing the PC with the Q-Gadget to play the 'personality' of the weapon as well? Doesn't that defeat the much of the role-play potential that a self-aware device creates ::confused ?

On that note, you'd allow PCs who used the Q-Construct Extra to create self-aware constructs to play those constructs? I guess I just understand the term "self-aware" a little differently... ::sly

If the ST's to play the weapon's personality, why not just make it an Ally? Or a Follower for that matter, or a Mentor - depending on the relationship between the weapon & it's 'owner'?

Remember, this thing will be a long-term NPC in any game it's in, unlike a Q-Construct (even with Self-Aware & Longevity it'll be gone soon enough).

And yes, Q-Construct does help to simlulate Green Lantern's ring (along with Elemental Mastery - Green Oan Energy, the Adaptability Enhancement for Mega-Stamina, something like Quantum Awareness, Force Field, & a whole host of other powers). If trying to simulate the thing with a single power I'd lean towards the Elemental Mastery, since it covers the basics (energy walls, cages, blasts, flight, etc.), & can even make 'stuff' (using the Animation technique from the APG & the Shaping technique from Elemental Anima) - & can do that stuff instantly (unlike the create one action, use the next action Q-Contruct), & repeatedly (again unlike Q-Constuct).

What i'm saying is, as Quantum Construct, the ST would roleplay the self aware construct, but the PC created it. The PC designed the stats and knows its abilities.

That's the control the PC exerts. It's not out of the PCs hands as to what the specific stats are.

I guess i'm a bit geared toward total freedom than others may be. As the ST, i can totally reign in any powermongering and such as i see fit anyway, so let the PCs have their fun.

I just think cheating them by using the Ally background isn't needed when their are rules for Quantum Construction which allow the same, if short, effect.

As for Elemntal Mastery and the power ring; yeah, those techniques would come in handy. But remember, the power ring is pretty much a "wish ring". Quantum Constructs can have about any quantum power that you can afford to give it. It does become harder with every use within a scene though. That can probably be bought off with strength points.

Archived