Aberrant RPG - Post your Quantum Powers and Enh. here

CHILL

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I was thinking that, but I noticed that bonuses to accuracy seem pretty rare in the Aberrant power scale, so I thought maybe that justified the increase of level.

What would you suggest would be appropriate to make it 'worthy' of level 2?

Seems a worthwhile question so I can get a set of principles together when coming up with new stuff.

Extra for Matter Creation or Molecular Alteration technique of Molecular Manipulation (possibly the Quantum Conception power from A Breed Apart as well as any other power that requires the expenditure of perm will to make something permanent)

Permanency (Min Quantum 6)

System: Allows the Nova to make objects or alterations permanent more easily. Instead of a point of permanent willpower, at Q6 the Nova spends three temporary willpower points to make it permanent, at Q8 spend two temporary willpower points and at Q10 spend a single temporary willpower point.

• 1 year later...

Hokay, I just finished a workup on my level 1 'shapeshift to other people' power, called Disguise.

I used it to replace the Copycat enhancement of Mega-Appearance, which I had zotzed from existence.

Disguise

Level: 1

Quantum Minimum: 2

Dice Pool: Appearance + Disguise

Range: Self

Area: N/A

Duration: Maintenance

Effect: Allows character to alter her shape to other humanoid forms, for purposes of impersonation or disguise.

Multiple Actions: Yes

Description: Disguise allows a nova to use quantum to reshape her own body, to a very limited extent. A nova can use this power to impersonate someone else exactly, even someone of of the opposite gender, but the changes are only cosmetic; no changes to internal organs occur. In order to duplicate someone's appearance the nova must be in their presence, have a high-quality visual representation of them available, or have successfully taken that particular form before. Disguise does not allow a nova to add to or remove anything from their physical form; they cannot alter their size or mass beyond the limits for the Appearance Alteration enhancement of Mega-Appearance, nor can they duplicate powers, attributes (except Appearance), Mega-Attributes, or enhancements. A nova can duplicate Physical Aberrations that affect appearance, but receives no game effects other than the appropriate reaction penalty. Disguise can be used to impersonate someone who has Mega-Appearance, but the nova will not receive the benefit of the other nova's bonus Style dice or Mega-Appearance attribute, only their own (if applicable).

The nova may simulate the effects of the Mega-Appearance enhancements Appearance Alteration and Mr. Nobody without rolling. 1 success allows a nova to take on a fictional persona that is clearly not them. 2 successes allows a nova to precisely duplicate someone else's appearance, and 3+ successes also allows for exact duplication of things like fingerprints or retinaprints (if the nova has them available to study). DNA cannot be duplicated using Disguise.

Except that it can be done as an action a la Mystique from the X-Men movies instead of requiring a minute and a photograph like Copycat does, has its capabilities and limitations more precisely spelled out, text to hopefully sidestep some rules adjudication headaches re: impersonating someone else and using their Appearance/Mega-Appearance traits, and allows people to make man-of-a-thousand-faces concepts without having to buy Mega-Appearance and without also needing to be quantum 5 and taking full-on Shapeshift, yes.

Really, my primary purpose in inventing the damn thing was saving myself rules adjudication headaches. Getting what should be a power outside of a particular mega-attribute also helped.

Aaaand, while I'm here, might as well post some of my revised enhancements and Mega-Attribute house rules. I drew heavily from Sprocket's Compendium and the various Eon fanbooks when doing some of these. Some of the others were adopted from Scion Knacks. My thanks to everybody I stole from. :)

Edit: Going through now and removing the ones that are just copypasta from Eon (this was a copypaste from my campaign house rules document, some material was duplicated there for convenience's sake). Leaving the ones I actually made alterations or tweaks to.

-----------

Mega-Attributes may be applied to a die roll involving their base attribute in one of two ways:

• +2 dice to the die pool per dot of Mega-Attribute or
  • +1 automatic success to the result per dot of Mega-Attribute

The player may allocate some of her Mega-Attribute dots as extra dice and others as extra successes. They may change the allocation of the dots from turn to turn and from roll to roll. Allocation of dots must be declared before rolling dice.

Mega-Strength

New Rule: Using Mega-Strength in combat requires the expenditure of 2 quantum points per turn. Using Mega-Strength at half or less of its normal value in automatic damage successes will halve this quantum cost to 1 per turn.

Crush

This enhancement no longer requires 1 turn to use.

Precision

A nova with this enhancement may declare 'not enough to overflow to lethal damage' when using it, even if he is unaware of his target's exact health levels and soak.

Shockwave

This enhancement does [Mega-Strength] automatic successes of bashing damage to most targets within a radius of [Mega-Strength * 5] meters. Anyone affected must make a Strength or Dexterity roll (whichever is higher) against a difficulty of [Mega-Strength + 1] to remain on their feet. The surface the nova is hitting takes damage as if this were a normal Mega-Strength strike, and the nova may only make one Shockwave attack per turn. This enhancement requires 1 quantum to use in addition to the quantum cost for Mega-Strength.

Thunderclap

This enhancement does [Mega-Strength * 2] automatic successes of bashing damage within a radius equal to [Mega-Strength * 5] meters. The nova may only make one Thunderclap attack per turn. This enhancement requires 1 quantum to use in addition to the quantum cost for Mega-Strength.

Mega-Dexterity

Accuracy

In addition to any other bonuses provided for having a Mega-Attribute, the character receives 1 automatic success when attempting to hit a target with a firearms, martial arts, melee, or quantum-power attack. This enhancement may be purchased up to three times, and its effects stack. This enhancement does not apply to Brawl attacks, as they depend on raw power and ferocity, not precise aim. This enhancement is always active and requires no quantum points to use.

Ace Driver/Pilot

The nova gets +3 automatic successes on all rolls for either Drive or Pilot (choose one at time of purchase). This enhancement may be purchased twice to receive the benefits for both skills. This enhancement is always active and requires no quantum points to use.

Fine Manipulation

The nova can perform microscale maneuvers with her manipulative digits on any scale she can accurately perceive. The nova receives +3 automatic successes on rolls that depend largely on fine manipulation (such as watch repair, calligraphy, or lockpicking). This bonus would never apply to combat rolls. This enhancement is always active and requires no quantum points to use.

Light Fingers

The nova gets +3 automatic successes on all rolls involving Legerdemain. This enhancement is always active and requires no quantum points to use.

Omnidexterity

Omnidexterity eliminates the multiple action penalty for the "Attacking With Two Weapons" maneuver, if both weapons are functionally identical and used to attack the same target. Further attacks beyond one for each weapon will start to incur a normal multiple action penalty.

One Man Army

The nova never suffers penalties from engaging multiple foes in close combat. Also, the nova may make up to [Mega-Dexterity] additional close-combat attacks vs. baselines before starting to incur multiple action penalties.

Perfect Balance

The nova receives +3 automatic successes to any roll for maintaining his balance, staying upright, or walking on a precarious surface. The nova never incurs any difficulty penalties for unsteady terrain. This enhancement is always active and requires no quantum points to use.

Rapid Strike

A nova using this enhancement adds one automatic success per dot of Mega-Dexterity to her close-combat damage. This enhancement can be switched on or off by the nova at will and costs no quantum points to use.

Ricochet

The nova must spend 1 quantum point to use this enhancement. The nova then makes a Dexterity + (appropriate Ability or power) roll to have a projectile hit one or more targets with multiple rebounds. Each success allows the Ricochet attack to strike an additional target after the first by rebounding. The Ricochet attack will also be treated as a flank attack, gaining a bonus of +1 die to accuracy (Aberrant core book, p. 243). If the nova wishes to have his Ricochet attack function treated as a rear attack, gaining a bonus of +2 dice to accuracy, 2 successes will be required for each additional target. Of course, this assumes that the projectile simply won’t destroy or pierce through the surfaces the nova was intending it to rebound off of. Depending on the nature of the available surfaces in the nova’s immediate vicinity, certain energy-based attacks (like lasers, for instance) and some forms of the Quantum Bolt power may be used with this enhancement. As always, your Storyteller will have the final say on whether that’s possible.

Mega-Stamina

Adaptability

This enhancement is always active and requires no quantum points to use. It continues to function even if the nova's Quantum Pool is temporarily depleted. The nova may still eat, drink, and (lightly) sleep if they consciously choose to enjoy such sensations, but never need to.

Diehard

A nova with this enhancement is a good deal more difficult to kill than is typical for novas in general. In game terms, the nova has a certain number of "Nearly Dead" health levels equal to his [Mega-Stamina +2] levels that act as a buffer against actual death. If the nova is still alive at the end of the scene, the nova automatically regains enough health levels to place him at "Incapacitated". For purposes of in-combat healing, 1 health level of healing is sufficient to remove all "Nearly Dead" health levels. This enhancement is always active and requires no quantum points to use.

Durability

No roll is needed to use this enhancement, only the expenditure of 1 quantum point per attack. The nova may not convert energy attacks or use this enhancement while incapacitated or unconscious.

Hardbody

The effects of Hardbody apply only to lethal soak gained via stamina and Mega-Stamina. Hardbody-augmented soak is not reduced by Armor Piercing.

Resiliency

This enhancement can be bought multiple times. On a second purchase, the soak bonuses provided by Mega-Stamina are tripled. On a third purchase, they are quadrupled. Resiliency cannot be bought more than three times.

Next up, the mega-mentals.

Mega-Perception

Bloodhound

In addition to the rules listed in the core book, Bloodhound also provides +3 automatic successes on any roll to remember scents, distinguish between specific scents, or determine the component scents of a given odor. These automatic successes do not apply to tracking rolls. This enhancement is always active and requires no quantum points to use.

Holographic Awareness

As per Brainwaves, plus this enhancement provides +1 automatic success on Teleport or Warp rolls.

Hyperenhanced Hearing

"Radio Scan" is no longer considered a benefit of Hyperenhanced Hearing. See "Radio Hearing" below.

Light Sleeper

The nova takes no penalties to Awareness rolls for being asleep, and may react to immediate danger as if they had been awake at the beginning of the turn. Surprise still applies, if applicable. This enhancement is always active and requires no quantum points to use.

Radio Hearing

The nova may perceive all broadcast waves, including radio, broadcast television, and cell phone transmissions. The character may voluntary shut off the sense or edit out specific frequencies. The character may also transmit along such wavelengths, although most novas can transmit voice only.

That Creepy Feeling

The nova receives +3 automatic successes on any roll to determine whether or not they are being watched, overheard, or monitored in any way, provided that the method of monitoring could potentially be detected with an active use of the nova's senses. (For example, a nova would only find hidden microphones/cameras if they physically searched for them, or the bugs were theoretically visible to the naked eye, or they had other exotic senses such as Cyberkinesis, radio hearing, etc., that could conceivably detect the bugs in operation.) This enhancement is always active and requires no quantum points to use.

Mega-Intelligence

Analyze Weakness

This enhancement no longer exists. (DM's note: It's just too damn powerful. Add in my philosophy of "Rolling dice to find out how many more dice you roll is time-consuming and wasteful, here, just have some autosux instead" and it gets even more powerful. In my prior Aberrant games, both as DM and player, I saw virtually everyone buying it. When a particular game hack shows up on 90+% of submitted character sheets regardless of concept I consider that a hint that it should either be passed out for free at chargen or else killed with fire.)

Blockade of Reason

The nova may, if they choose, substitute their Intelligence+Mega-Intelligence for their Wits+Mega-Wits or Manipulation+Mega-Manipulation in any roll to detect or resist being tricked or manipulated. They may do this even if they do not have any dots in Mega-Wits or Mega-Manipulation. The nova may not substitute their Mega-Intelligence for another characteristic when rolling for themselves to trick or manipulate another person. This enhancement is always active and requires no quantum points to use. (DM's Note: Yup, this one's totally adapted from Scion. Also a modified version of the one from Brainwaves.)

Deductive Genius

Up to once per scene, a player can spend a point of temporary Willpower and then ask the Storyteller for a useful hint or to point them in the best direction for the story. This hint must be based on a deduction that would be theoretically possible to reach from information available to the character… if he has insufficient data, he will receive a lesser hint or no clue at all. (DM's Note: This is based on the rules for Inspiration from Adventure!, "Intuition" in particular. It was created as a partial solution to the 'My Character Is Smarter Than Me!' problem from Brainwaves. The temporary WP cost is just to prevent players from spamming it.)

Eidetic Memory

A nova with this enhancement has perfect and near-instant recall of their past experiences. If the player ever forgets a salient point or a key bit of information, he has but to ask the Storyteller and the Storyteller will remind him. The nova may attempt to 'relive' a past experience and make a Perception roll to focus on something that was within the range of their senses but not consciously paid attention to or searched for at the time, at a +2 difficulty. The nova receives +3 automatic successes on any roll to detect alteration of their memories. This enhancement replaces and subsumes both Eidetic Memory and Enhanced Memory from the corebook. This enhancement is always active and requires no quantum points to use. (DM's Note: The whole eidetic vs. enhanced memory thing from the corebook was, IMO, idiotic. So part of this is swiped from Scion and part of this is just me.)

Mathematical Savant

Any Mega-Intelligent nova can number-crunch any normal arithmetical or trigonometric expression in their head without a calculator, but a nova with this enhancement can mentally perform complex or extremely large mathematical computations without effort and with computer-like speed. Any computational problem solvable by a mainframe computer can be completed instantly, and even supercomputer-sized problems can be number-crunched in a relatively short period of time. (Problems that even supercomputers could only complete in geological time are still beyond the easy reach of Mega-Intelligent novas.) Whenever the character is performing a task primarily involving raw computational capacity (such as trying to decode an encrypted message or pinpoint an arithmetical error in a large set of accounts), they receive +3 automatic successes. This enhancement is always active and requires no quantum points to use.

Mental Prodigy

Mental Prodigy enhancements provide +3 automatic successes to any roll for a particular type of Intelligence-based or related ability. If two more or Mental Prodigies could potentially apply to a single roll, the effects do not stack. These enhancements are always active and require no quantum no use. (DM's Note: Did I mention that I hate the notion of "Make a roll to see how many dice you will add to another roll?" as a serious waste of time, especially in online play? Because I do. So I took the same basic logic behind things like Catfooted, Persuader, Trickster, etc., and applied them to every remotely similar enhancement I could think of, such as the mental prodigies.)

In addition to or replacing (where applicable) the prodigies listed in the corebook and the Player's Guide, these prodigies are also available:

Administrative: The nova receives the bonus on rolls involving running an organization, coordinating logistical activities, dealing with a bureaucracy, or finding flaws and/or attempting to disrupt such systems.

Chemical: The nova receives the bonus on rolls involving chemistry, applied chemistry, pharmacology, or toxicology. This includes uses of powers such as Molecular Manipulation, Molecular Authority, Matter Creation, and Creation ex Nihilo.

Computer: The nova receives the bonus on rolls involving operating, programming, or hacking computers. This includes uses of powers such as Cyberkinesis.

Financial: The nova receives the bonus on all rolls primarily involving economics or finance. This includes relevant Biz rolls, even if the die pool is Wits-based.

Intelligence Analyst: The nova receives the bonus on rolls involving sifting through large amounts of data to determine behavior patterns, compose profiles, or isolate relevant bits of information out of a random collection of facts.

Medical: The nova receives the bonus on all rolls to diagnose illnesses, treat injuries, and heal the sick. This includes uses of powers such as Healing.

Psychological: The nova receives the bonus on all rolls concerning diagnosing, understanding, or treating psychological problems or mental dysfunction. This includes psychological profiling of suspects. This does not include determining whether or not a given person is lying at the moment, or other similar abilities normally found under Wits or Manipulation.

Speed Reading

The nova can read and comprehend with perfect clarity an entire block of text (such as two facing pages of an open book) in an eyeblink of time. She need only be able to see the entire block clearly enough to focus her eyes on any given word in it. (DM's Note: Scion's treatment of speed reading was infinitely superior to Aberrant's. Stolen wholesale.)

Total Concentration

When performing an action based on the Mental Attributes the nova can ignore any die pool or difficulty penalties for distractions, including injury modifiers and environmental conditions. These penalties still apply to other types of actions as normal. This enhancement is always active and requires no quantum points to use.

Mega-Wits

Artistic Genius

The nova receives +3 automatic successes whenever attempting to create or analyze art, literature, cinema, or similar works and subjects. This enhancement is always active and requires no quantum points to use.

Hypercognition

The player can resolve any extended action for the character in the same time it takes to perform a simple action, provided that the action involves only a purely intellectual effort and information already potentially available to the character (even if they are not yet consciously aware of it). The nova must obtain at least one rolled success (in addition to any automatic successes) on each die roll in order to continue rolling. Failing on a Hypercognition-aided attempt does not prevent the nova from retrying it again normally, but they cannot use Hypercognition on subsequent attempts. This enhancement is always active and requires no quantum points to use.

Lie Detector

The nova receives +3 automatic successes on any roll to determine whether or not someone is telling the truth. This enhancement is always active and requires no quantum points to use.

Natural Empath

The nova gains +3 automatic successes when making Rapport rolls or trying to determine an observed target's emotional state. This enhancement is always active and requires no quantum points to use.

Synergy

Whenever the nova performs a task with other player characters' in such a way that they combine successes to achieve a common goal, typically as an extended action, the nova contributes +[Mega-Wits] in autosuccesses. The group must obtain at least one rolled success (in addition to any automatic successes) on each die roll in order to continue rolling. This enhancement is always active and requires no quantum points to use.

And, last up, the mega-socials.

Mega-Appearance

Appearance Alteration

Appearance Alteration now has a duration of "Maintenance" and may be continued so long as the nova has 1 quantum point remaining in his quantum pool.

Copycat

This enhancement does not exist. See the new quantum power of "Disguise".

Kawaii

A Kawaii nova receives +3 automatic successes on any Social rolls where appearing cute, adorable, innocent, naïve, helpless and harmless could work in the nova's favor. While it can aid in tasks such as getting other people to help the nova or shifting others' suspicions away from the nova (provided that there's no direct evidence linking the nova to her misdeeds), there is a downside to this enhancement. Kawaii novas automatically lose 3 successes on any Social rolls that require their being seen as a credible threat or as having competence, experience, or maturity. This advantage can be switched on or off by the nova at will (but anyone already affected by it may continue to remain affected for the remainder of the scene, at the DM's discretion), and costs no quantum points to use.

Mega-Manipulation

Clarity

The nova may use the bonus dice that Mega-Manipulation grants him against attempts to trick or deceive him on rolls to resist Mega-Social abilities or mind/emotion control powers. This enhancement is always active and requires no quantum points to use.

Persuader

This enhancement can be switched on or off by the nova at will and costs no quantum points to use.

Tactful

The nova will never overwhelm an individual with his Mega-Social attributes (unless he chooses to). He may choose to apply as many successes as he wishes to any social roll. This also negates the -1 social penalty associated with the Unearthly Beauty aberration. This is also available as a Mega-Charisma enhancement.

Trickster

This enhancement can be switched on or off by the nova at will and costs no quantum points to use.

Mega-Charisma

Bardic Gift

The nova gains +3 automatic successes on all Social rolls involving the performing arts (music, singing, dance, stage acting, etc.) The nova may also make a Charisma roll to have her performance evoke any emotions she desires in her audience through sheer artistic merit. This is not direct manipulation, like the Emotion Manipulation power – it works through the same psychological inputs that baseline performers have used for centuries. Any emotions evoked by the nova’s performance will remain with the audience for a while afterwards, just like the effects of any other good performance. This enhancement is always active and requires no quantum points to use.

Candor

The nova has a nigh-superhuman sincerity, and it shows. She gains +3 automatic successes on all Social rolls involving honesty on her part (i.e., where she has no intent to deceive and is speaking the truth as she knows it). The nova is allowed to be diplomatic, but not duplicitous; half-truths and crafted "spin" do not incur this bonus. This enhancement is always active and requires no quantum points to use.

Perfect Guest

The nova has a near-psychic capability to intuit whatever rules of proper behavior that hold sway in the culture he's currently interacting with. He receives +3 automatic successes on any Etiquette or Streetwise roll that involves acting in accordance with polite behavior or to counteract difficulty penalties for cultural unfamiliarity. This enhancement can be switched on or off by the nova at will and costs no quantum points to use.

Perfect Poise

The nova gets +3 automatic successes on any Social roll for concealing their emotions, and on any Social roll involving poise, grace, or composure. They can suppress all outward signs of discomfort, shock, or surprise, regardless of what they might actually be feeling at the time. This does not affect injury penalties. This enhancement is always active and requires no quantum points to use.

Aaaand, my rework of Healing.

Healing

Level: 3

Quantum Minimum: 4

Dice Pool: Intelligence + Healing

Range: Touch

Area: N/A

Duration: Instant

Effect: Heals one health level of lethal or bashing damage per success rolled.

Description: This power enables a nova to heal herself or others. To use Healing, a nova must touch the person to be healed, pay the quantum cost, and roll Intelligence + Healing. Every success heals one health level of lethal or bashing damage, up to a maximum of [Healing+2] health levels. This power may be applied once per victim per scene.

Alternatively, if a character is suffering from a poison or a disease, each success adds one die to the afflicted character's Resistance roll. Once the roll succeeds the poison or disease stops affecting the character. Any damage already taken can then be healed with a normal application of Healing.

Healing can even regenerate severed limbs or ruined organs, but to do so costs double quantum and a temporary Willpower point. Healing aggravated damage requires that the nova spend 6 quantum points per health level healed and a temporary Willpower point, and the nova can only heal aggravated damage once per victim per day.

Archived