Aberrant RPG - Post your Quantum Powers and Enh. here

CHILL

As for your proposed min/max rating setup, you've made a strong case for it. Barring Taint, I assume that a Mega-WP nova's Quantum will be the only limiter for developing Mega-WP ratings of 6+?

Yep, of course that also assumes they have a Willpower of 10.

>Comparing Mega-Attribute benefits-

The problem with your argument is that Mega-Willpower really can't be considered "normal", as it's based on Willpower. Even with the extra WP point reserves from Mega-WP, it's still a finite resource. This is due to Willpower being derived from the human noetic template, which I'll explain later on in this post. … Anyway, once the Mega-WP nova's WP point pool hits zero, he won't be any better at controlling himself (barring certain Mega-WP enhancements) than any other nova in that situation until he can recover some WP points. That isn't the case with the other Attributes you mentioned. A Mega-Intelligent nova is always Mega-Intelligent, regardless of how many quantum points he's got left in his quantum pool. Same thing for all the other Mega-Attributes.

Wait a moment. If I’m out of willpower and need to make a normal willpower roll, say to resist a social flaw, don’t I get to use my megas? Say I have Willpower 5, Mega-Willpower 2. I’m still tossing 7 dice (5 normal, 2 mega), right?

If so then I don’t see your point. Granted, you don’t have willpower points to Spend for autosucc, but so what? Spending willpower is an ability that makes it stronger, not weaker, than the other stats since none of them let you do anything similar. Even without willpower to spend you still always get to roll all your willpower dice just like you always get to roll all your Dex dice.

>Safety margin for maxing quantum powers

1- So you think this would be better suited as a quantum "metapower" like Quantum Regeneration, then? Possible, I suppose.

Yes.

2- "Why should Mega-WP protect against Taint?"

I'm glad you asked that. AFAICT from going over material from both Aberrant & Trinity, Willpower appears to be mainly a quality of the human being's noetic template. A nova still has a noetic template, it's just that it's more or less permanently bonded to the nova's quantum matrix. Novas can also affect noetic energy indirectly through their quantum abilities, which is how Willpower can be amplified by Mega-WP in the same way that Mega-Attributes amplify the Attributes. So for all practical purposes, Mega-WP novas are using their quantum power to tap into noetic energy in an indirect way.

My Trinity is pretty weak, but I thought Willpower was pretty independent of Psi? I.e. a Psiad and a Nova get into a fight. The Psiad gets to apply his Psi as lethal soak, not his willpower.

Now Taint (within a nova) is a deficiency of noetic energy. It interferes with a nova's normal use of Willpower (APG, p. 93) in attempts to control his mental aberrations. Permanent Taint is more or less irreparable damage to a nova's noetic template.

Assumes facts not in evidence. My personal theory on taint is it is simply damage to the nova’s node. Brain damage in other words.

Novas without Mega-WP can lose temporary Taint (Aberrant core book, p. 150) by reducing their use of quantum energy AND using their Willpower.

And a powermax also requires spending willpower. Both of these things are a reflection that it’s really hard.

On p. 59 of the APG, we see that thanks to their direct access to noetic energy, psiads don't suffer from Taint. They're immune to aberrations, taint-related illnesses, and ambient taint radiation. They can also use their Psi scores to help soak injuries from focused quantum effects…

Good so far. Does Willpower help with any of that? Increase their soak? Make it harder for them to be affected by taint? Or is it purely a Psi thing?

For that matter, Psions can go mad as well (Psi Disorder?) when they get too many dots in one aspect of their power. I’m guessing that Willpower helps with this as well.

So with Willpower and Taint, we have a conflict between opposing noetic & quantum energies. What Mega-WP does is stack the deck somewhat in that conflict to favor Willpower.

This only works if Willpower is a noetic force. As far as I can tell, it isn’t. Novas use willpower. Psions use willpower. Matter Creation, or heck, Universe Creation, doesn't involve Psi to create perm objects. Willpower is simply how strong you sense of identity is, and while that can ward off insanity, insanity isn’t taint.

I can buy that too much taint makes it hard for you to have Mega-Willpower because Taint reduces willpower… oh, big idea. How about for evaluating how many dots of Mega-Willpower is allowed, we use a nova’s Willpower minus their Taint? And if that number is zero or below, then no Mega is possible.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While a nice theory, there are some serious flaws.

For starters, there are powers that permanently damage the noetic pattern, namely Catabolysis. If this theory were true, using Catabolysis on a nova should result in instant severe Taint, rather than having a body part dissolve.

OTOH, the problem with the brain damage theory of Taint is that Taint still occurs even if the nova has become physiology irrelevant. Somebody with permanent Bodymorph doesn't even have a brain anymore, and yet clearly is suffering from major Taint.

My personal suggestion would be that, regardless of other limiting factors (taint, quantum, whatever), a nova can't use his/her Mega-Willpower score at a higher rating than their current Temporary Willpower score. The logic here being that as a person spends temp willpower, they're draining themselves of their will, self-control, and sense of self-restraint. If these reserves get low enough then it shouldn't matter how many Mega-Willpower dice they have as they won't have the self-control necassary to them.

So a nova with WP of 7, MWP of 4, and current temp WP of 3 can only roll 3 or their 4 mega-dice on any applicable rolls. If these rolls require (or the player chooses) to spend another temp will point, then their MWP dice pool drops to 2. Once the temp will pool has increased back up to 4 or higher the character is once again sufficiently in possession of their faculties to exert the full force of their super-human will.

Re: Mega-Willpower basics-

>Minimum WP required for Mega-WP-

Okay, here's the changed min/max scheme:

"A nova is limited to a maximum Mega-Willpower rating equal to either his base Willpower /2 (rounded down) or his Quantum Trait +1, whichever is lower. This changes when a nova attains Quantum 6, as the base Willpower limitation no longer applies. Novas with permanent Taint ratings of six or seven are also limited to a maximum rating of three or one dots respectively, regardless of their Quantum Trait or base Willpower ratings. Novas with permanent Taint ratings of eight or more cannot develop Mega-Willpower at all, and will lose any dots of Mega-Willpower (along with any associated enhancements) they may have previously possessed."

So one would need WP 4 for Mega-WP 2, WP 6 for Mega-WP 3, WP 8 for Mega-WP 4, and WP 10 for Mega-WP 5. I know this scheme isn't quite what you outlined, but it looks a lot simpler as an equation in print.

Hmm. Looking at p. 145 of the core book, it states that most uses of Willpower require spending a Willpower point; Free successes, resisting instinctual responses, resisting mental aberrations, maxing quantum powers, and (in part) resisting certain powers/social effects. This last one is problematic, as whether one spends a Willpower point or rolls Willpower (or both) depends on the power being used. In the APG, it states that Willpower rolls are used for resisting mental aberrations and certain powers/social effects, while WP points are also spent to overcome psychological Flaws like Intolerance. Looks like the writers got their wires crossed somewhere...

If we're going by the core book, Willpower rolls are only going to be used for resisting powers/social effects (a small fraction of the total spectrum of uses), and using the rest of Willpower's functions is going to require spending Willpower points. Yes, the nova would still be using his Mega-WP dice on his Willpower rolls, but the greater portion of his capacity for Willpower use will be lost until WP points are regained. In that case, just having Mega-dice is not sufficient to merit the description of "superhuman Willpower", esp. if it can run out just as quickly as the Willpower of a baseline.

>Safety margin for maxing quantum powers

All right then. I'll see about hammering out something along those lines, which will be separate from Mega-Willpower.

Re: "Why should Mega-WP protect against Taint?"

>Willpower & Psi

For psions/psiads, Willpower & Psi seem to be separate in terms of game mechanics, as you said. However, the root source of those qualities is the same, and that's what I'm talking about. The problem is that psions'/psiads' initial Willpower starts out at 5, not 3 as with novas & baselines/neutrals. Actively channeling Psi apparently requires a better-than-average Willpower rating, which indicates (to me) that Willpower is far more basic precursor to Psi. The two Traits branch away from each other after that, which leads to the apparent division

>Definitions of Taint

Do you have a copy of TFR: Noetics? That and the canon "Forbidden Subjects" document for Trinity is what I've been using as references to the Aeoniverse's rubber science. They're the closest things to canon we'll be getting on the subject, esp. since notes from the White Wolf writers were said to be used in creating TFR: Noetics. Your idea of "Taint = node damage" is contradicted pretty conclusively in those works.

Also, I made an error in my last post: Taint is distortion of a nova's noetic template (caused by imbalance between the nova's quantum & noetic energies), not damage as such. That clarification should address metaphysician's points. My apologies for any confusion caused by that mistake.

>Losing temporary Taint

[Novas without Mega-WP can lose temporary Taint (Aberrant core book, p. 150) by reducing their use of quantum energy AND using their Willpower.]

"And a powermax also requires spending willpower. Both of these things are a reflection that it's really hard."

And the relevance of that comparison is? The fact that losing temporary Taint is difficult is beside the point. The point is that the nova is incorporating fresh noetic energy into her template, negating the minor imbalance between the nova's quantum & noetic energies.

>"Does Willpower help with any of (psions/psiads' resistance to Taint)?"

Not as such, but it doesn't need to. For them Willpower is superseded by Psi, which is far more convenient for Psions to use against Taint than their Willpower. Willpower can be used against Taint, though: On p. 29 of TFR: Noetics, mention is made of Willpower use being able to delay the onset of Aberrant Syndrome (the harmfully slow eruption of a nova on Earth in Trinity), when the patient's conscious mind is utterly set against erupting. And if Willpower can disrupt/conflict with quantum, it can sure as shooting do the same with Taint.

As for psions with Tolerance Overload (too much biotech) and Psionic Dysfunction (being overdeveloped/unbalanced in one Mode of one's Aptitude), Willpower does help the psion discard the excess biotech widgets & stave off the effect of whatever Psionic Dysfunction (think psionic aberration) the psion has developed. That's beside the point, though.

>Conflict between Willpower & Taint

On your remarks that Willpower is simply the strength of one's sense of identity: That's correct, to a point. But that identity is composed of information (experiences, beliefs, memories, etc.), which is exactly what noetic energy happens to be. As for insanity & (mental, I presume) Taint not being the same thing? That's true too, but only in that they have different causes. Insanity & mental aberrations are just mental distortion caused by different things. See the mention of mental disorders on p. 150 of the core book; some mental disorders can and do inflict temporary Taint on novas unlucky enough to have them. And sure, all the various types of inspired humans have Willpower: it's a part of being sapient creatures. Eruption as a nova (or becoming a psiad/psion) doesn't change that.

As for Matter Creation, creating permanent objects with that power does use Willpower; 1 point of permanent(!) WP in fact. And since the "assembly area" of a universe being created with Universe Creation is within subquantum space, there's more than enough free noetic energy there to prevent the Q10 nova from having to expend any of her own noetic resources in that way. Sorry about that.

>Taint limiting Mega-WP

I don't know about that; the immediate sense that "something's going terribly wrong" when the impairments begin (at Taint 6 & 7) is one hell of a wakeup call for a Mega-WP nova as it is. And losing all Mega-WP upon hitting Taint 8 only underscores the idea that things are not well for said nova.

Re: Cottus' last suggestion-

Hmm. That might work if ordinary Willpower rolls are dependent on one's number of temporary Willpower points. Is that so, or do the rules contradict that idea?

Re: Cottus' last suggestion-

Hmm. That might work if ordinary Willpower rolls are dependent on one's number of temporary Willpower points. Is that so, or do the rules contradict that idea?

Unfortunately, no. I only suggested that as a simple means of keeping MWP in check so that questions of balance or fairness are avoided. I mean, in all the powers or situations in which a character might get drained of an Attribute, the character's mega-atts are drained first. So I figured it might make more sense, and put people's minds at ease, if MWP was affected similarly.

This changes when a nova attains Quantum 6, as the base Willpower limitation no longer applies.

Replace with: Assuming their willpower is 10, novas with Quantum of 6 or above are limited to their Quantum rating, and not their rating +1.

The problem is the Willpower Limit just is set to 10 and their Q limit is now Q and not Q+1.

Hmm. Looking at p. 145 of the core book, it states that most uses of Willpower require spending a Willpower point; Free successes, resisting instinctual responses, resisting mental aberrations, maxing quantum powers, and (in part) resisting certain powers/social effects. This last one is problematic, as whether one spends a Willpower point or rolls Willpower (or both) depends on the power being used. In the APG, it states that Willpower rolls are used for resisting mental aberrations and certain powers/social effects, while WP points are also spent to overcome psychological Flaws like Intolerance. Looks like the writers got their wires crossed somewhere...

Page 145 is only talking about what you can spend willpower for. It’s correct as far as it goes, you can spend a point of willpower for an automatic success at resisting mental aberrations.

However, the Mega-Int enhancement “Resist Taint” and for that matter the section on Taint on page 151 (or was it 156?) make it clear that you don’t actually have to spend willpower to attempt to resist mental aberrations, that just makes it automatic. It’s a normal difficulty action where your willpower is Will – Taint; what sucks is it comes up every scene.

On that subject, we have another issue here. Effects you control subtract first from normal dice, and Mega-Dice last. Effects not controlled by you do the reverse. Taint Insanity should be subtracted from mega-dice first… not that it really matters considering you only need one succ.

Do you have a copy of TFR: Noetics? That and the canon "Forbidden Subjects" document for Trinity is what I've been using as references to the Aeoniverse's rubber science.

I don’t, and I’d though the only book I was missing was TR:Media. When did these come out?

Re: Mega-WP limits-

Right, missed that. The change will be made.

Re: Comparing Mega-Attribute benefits-

The Taint section in the core book is on pp. 148-153.

There's nothing in the "Taint Resistance" Mega-Int enhancement (core book p. 168) to support your claim: all it does is reduce Taint derived from the node background & lessen the severity of mental aberrations. That said, you were correct on Willpower rolls to resist mental aberrations (core book p. 151).

Your suggestion about Taint penalties reducing Mega-WP dice first also makes sense.

All that still leaves us with the fact that by your reasoning, a Mega-WP nova will still be limited to a maximum WP point pool of 10. Like I said before, that just doesn't mesh very well with the idea of "superhuman willpower".

Earlier you stated that the closest equivalent to Mega-WP was Mega-Stamina, which grants both extra points of Soak and Health Levels. I can live with the idea of having a new miscellaneous power (similar to Body Modification: Extra Health Levels) being necessary for novas to achieve extremely large WP point pools. However, I'm still convinced that having dots of Mega-WP should grant some extra WP points as well. If we're using Mega-Stamina's benefits as our guide, how many extra WP points do you think Mega-WP should grant?

Re: TFR: Noetics & "Forbidden Subjects"-

TFR: Noetics is probably EON's very first fanbook, and has been available in PDF format right here at EON since 2003 (I think). They had some problems with the PDF format, but they're relatively minor. The material inside it is as good as gold.

"Forbidden Subjects" is available at the N!Prime site here:

http://www.nprime.net/aeonsociety/trinity/misc/misc0005.html

All that still leaves us with the fact that by your reasoning, a Mega-WP nova will still be limited to a maximum WP point pool of 10. Like I said before, that just doesn't mesh very well with the idea of "superhuman willpower".

Earlier you stated that the closest equivalent to Mega-WP was Mega-Stamina, which grants both extra points of Soak and Health Levels. I can live with the idea of having a new miscellaneous power (similar to Body Modification: Extra Health Levels) being necessary for novas to achieve extremely large WP point pools. However, I'm still convinced that having dots of Mega-WP should grant some extra WP points as well. If we're using Mega-Stamina's benefits as our guide, how many extra WP points do you think Mega-WP should grant?

If we use "extra health levels" as our guide, then the answer is one more at the 2nd, 4th, & 5th mega-dots.

But aren't we already letting them pay Mega-Willpower for two autosucc? That increases the pool right there.

Another alternative which we should consider is just making that extra point of willpower an enhancement. We really shouldn't be aiming for making this an equiv of mega-stamina. Stamina is the best of the 8 because it comes in conflict with Mega-Strength. I'd much rather have this start out more like on of the other 7 Mega-Stats.

So let's create an enhancement that gives them an extra point of Willpower that they can spend with every odd dot of Mega-Willpower, and if they buy it a second time they also get an extra point of spendable willpower for every even dot of Mega-Willpower.

Re: Self-Confidence-

The Self-Confidence facet isn't as vital to my take on Mega-WP as the extra WP points, & can be axed (or made into another enhancement) if deemed necessary.

Re: Extra WP points enhancement-

That would be in addition to that miscellaenous quantum power I proposed (the one that grants extra WP points similar to Body Modification: Extra Health Levels), yes? If so, that sounds plausible.

Re: "Safety Margin" & "Extra WP points" powers-

Okay, folks. Here's the former "Safety Margin" facet from Mega-WP v1.5, repackaged as a separate, full-blown quantum power. Despite Alex's statement that it should be a Level 3 power, I made it a Level 2 power after looking at the costs & utility of the other Quantum-related powers, esp. those found in Aberrant: Teragen. Also, botching a maxed power is rare enough that it shouldn't come up often in play.

I've also hammered out a new miscellaneous quantum power intended for those novas with slightly extraordinary reserves of Willpower.

Quantum Buffer

Level: 2

Quantum Minimum: 4

Dice Pool: N/A

Range: Self

Area: N/A

Duration: Permanent

Effect: Character automatically turns up to (power rating) botches on all rolls made for maxing a quantum power into simple failures.

Multiple Actions: N/A

Description: Despite what most novas believe, they all too often do not have full control over the quantum energies that course through their bodies. This is painfully apparent when a nova's attempt to "max" a power backfires on her, not only possibly causing great damage to the area around her but also causing her to develop temporary Taint through Power Strain. This power represents a nova whose increased command over his own quantum energies allows him to either partially or completely alleviate the detrimental effects of a power maxing backfire.

For each dot of Quantum Buffer possessed, the nova automatically turns a single "1" from the total amount of botches made on the Quantum roll and the following power roll into a simple failure when maxing a power. Also, for every two dots of of Quantum Buffer possessed, the nova automatically negates one point of temporary Taint that he would have ordinarily received.

Extras: None.

Augmented Willpower

Level: N/A (costs one nova point/ three experience points per level)

Quantum Minimum: 1

Effect: Grants character 1 additional Willpower point per level.

Description: This power simulates the capactity some novas have for greater than normal reserves of psychological strength. While the overall Willpower of the nova is unaffected (read: her permanent Willpower rating is unchanged), she does have one extra Willpower point for each level of this power. A nova may only take up to 3 levels of this power, unless she also has a Mega-Willpower rating. In that case, the nova has no upper limit as to how many levels of this power she can purchase with either nova points or experience points.

Re: "Extra Willpower points" enhancement-

I've looked over the various costs for Willpower, and have become dubious about the proposed "+1 WP point per odd number of Mega-WP dots" enhancment proposed in post #488. AFAICT, 3 nova points is a pretty steep price for a few extra WP points, esp. since a full dot of Willpower only costs 1 nova point. While I don't disfavor the idea of a Mega-WP enhancement being required to get (more than 3) extra WP points, the proposed formula does not seem to be worth the investment of 3 nova points required to purchase an enhancement.

While I don't disfavor the idea of a Mega-WP enhancement being required to get (more than 3) extra WP points, the proposed formula does not seem to be worth the investment of 3 nova points required to purchase an enhancement.
Of course it isn't, any more than Resilency is worth 3 nova points for a +1/+1 with Mega-Stamina 1. But three points of temp willpower is certainly worth 5 experience points.

Augmented Willpower

Effect: Increases a novas temporary willpower pool by 1.

Description: This power simulates the capactity some novas have for greater than normal reserves of psychological strength. While the overall Willpower of the nova is unaffected (read: her permanent Willpower rating is unchanged), she does have one extra Willpower point for each level of this power. A nova may only take up to 3 levels of this power, unless she also has a Mega-Willpower rating. In that case, the nova has no upper limit as to how many levels of this power she can purchase with either nova points or experience points.

RE: Quantum Buffer

Comments:

1) This opens a serious can of worms. We should probably include something about needing ST approval for this one as it alters things.

2) The Q-min should be 3. All of the other powers with the word "Quantum" in them are either 3 or above 5.

Re: Augmented Willpower-

::shrug Just a different way to say the same thing. Last I checked, permanent WP was counted in a dot rating, with WP points being synonymous with temporary WP.

I assume that you have no problem with the rest of this power, then? On to the next item, then.

Re: "extra WP points" enhancement-

Well, I've already got the blasted thing written up, so I might as well post it. It might need a better title, though.

Grit (Mega-Willpower)

With their self-confidence reinforced by their own quantum energies, certain Mega-Willful novas have developed extraordinary reserves of psychological strength.

System: The nova gains an additional Willpower point for every odd number of Mega-Willpower dots he possesses. (The nova's base permanent Willpower rating is unaffected.) A nova with this enhancement would gain an extra Willpower point at Mega-Willpower ratings of 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9. It's also possible to take a second level of this enhancement, in which case the nova will instead receive a number of additional Willpower points equal to his Mega-Willpower rating. This enhancement has no quantum cost, and is always on.

Re: Quantum Buffer-

I'll address both of your points in one blow, as they're kind of tied into each other from my viewpoint. ::wink

Yes, I agree that Quantum Buffer does have some startling long-term consequences, with how it can derail the whole "looming menace of Taint" somewhat. That's also why I put the Q-min. at 4; as it's a way to prevent one vector of Taint accumulation. The other powers of this nature aren't quite as dramatic in their long-term effects. As for Storyteller approval, that was pretty much bog-standard for all Aberrant games: "What the Storyteller says, goes" and all that.

Last I checked, permanent WP was counted in a dot rating, with WP points being synonymous with temporary WP.
See, that's not how I've always read it. "Willpower" to me always refered to "Your Perm Willpower score" because thats what you roll when you roll willpower, or resist with willpower or whatever. I think we need to always say "increase your pool of temporary willpower" or something similar.

Grit (Mega-Willpower)

With their self-confidence reinforced by their own quantum energies, certain Mega-Willful novas have developed extraordinary reserves of psychological strength.

System: The nova gains an additional +1 to their temporary Willpower pool size for every odd number of Mega-Willpower dots he possesses. (The nova's base permanent Willpower rating is unaffected.) A nova with this enhancement would gain an extra Willpower pool point at Mega-Willpower ratings of 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9. It's also possible to take a second level of this enhancement, in which case the nova will instead receive a number of additional Willpower points equal to the even dots in his Mega-Willpower rating. This enhancement has no quantum cost, and is always on.

Yes, I agree that Quantum Buffer does have some startling long-term consequences, with how it can derail the whole "looming menace of Taint" somewhat. That's also why I put the Q-min. at 4; as it's a way to prevent one vector of Taint accumulation. The other powers of this nature aren't quite as dramatic in their long-term effects. As for Storyteller approval, that was pretty much bog-standard for all Aberrant games: "What the Storyteller says, goes" and all that.
Granted, but I'd still rather see this as something the ST has to specifically approve. So if someone gets our entire book approved, this by default isn't included. Meaning that the ST has to know and understand what he is setting himself up for.

Re: Quantum Buffer & Augmented Willpower, revised-

In the interests of foiling rules lawyers, both of these have been revised.

Quantum Buffer

Level: 2

Quantum Minimum: 4

Effect: Character automatically turns up to (power rating) botches on all rolls made for maxing a quantum power into simple failures.

Description: Despite what most novas believe, they all too often do not have full control over the quantum energies that course through their bodies. This is painfully apparent when a nova's attempt to "max" a power backfires on her, not only possibly causing great damage to the area around her but also causing her to develop temporary Taint through Power Strain. This power represents a nova whose increased command over his own quantum energies allows him to either partially or completely alleviate the detrimental effects of a power maxing backfire. For each dot of Quantum Buffer possessed, the nova automatically turns a single "1" from the total amount of botches made on the Quantum roll and the following power roll into a simple failure when maxing a power. Also, for every two dots of of Quantum Buffer possessed, the nova automatically negates one point of temporary Taint that he would have ordinarily received.

Note to Storytellers and players: Including this power in an Aberrant chronicle allows for certain established themes of the game to be altered, sometimes dramatically. Therefore, it's recommended that player characters should only be able to take this power with the Storyteller's explicit approval.

Augmented Willpower

Quantum Minimum: 1

Effect: Increases the nova's temporary Willpower pool by 1 point per level.

Description: This power simulates the capactity some novas have for greater than normal reserves of psychological strength. While the overall Willpower of the nova is unaffected (read: her permanent Willpower rating is unchanged), she does have one extra temporary Willpower point for each level of this power. A nova may only take up to 3 levels of this power, unless she also has a Mega-Willpower rating. In that case, the nova has no upper limit as to how many levels of this power she can purchase with either nova points or experience points.

Re: Feedback on "Grit"-

I can see the reason for the indicated change to the "temporary willpower" terminology, but I strongly disagree with your take on what the second level of this enhancement should grant. With one level of Grit, a Mega-WP nova effectively gains (Mega-WP rating / 2, rounded up) additional temporary Willpower points. I can accept that being worth 3 nova points. But with what you're proposing, the nova would only be getting the same amount of temp WP points, as the equation would read: (Mega-WP rating / 2, rounded up). Perhaps you've misread the first draft of Grit, but what you're suggesting is nothing short of gypping the players. ::thumbdown:

Anyhow, here's v1.1, amended as I've seen fit.

Grit (Mega-Willpower)

System: The nova gains an additional temporary Willpower point for every odd number of Mega-Willpower dots he possesses. A nova with this enhancement would gain an extra temporary Willpower point at Mega-Willpower ratings of 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9. It's also possible to take a second level of this enhancement, in which case the nova will instead receive a number of additional temporary Willpower points equal to his Mega-Willpower rating. Please note that the benefit gained from having a second level of Grit are not cumulative with that gained from having the first level. This enhancement has no quantum cost, and is always on.

Okay then, I'll set those aside & move on to the next problem children... ::smile

Re: Solitaire v3.0-

Here's my latest attempt to hammer out the old Solitaire enhancement into something useable. Read & review, please.

Solitaire (Mega-Willpower)

To many in the Nova Age, novas with enhancements such as Adaptability seem to embody the ideal of self-sufficiency. Without any need to eat or drink, food and beverages become luxuries that can be set aside instead of necessities. Without the need to breathe, fresh air becomes a pleasant part of the environmental background instead of vital life support. Add on the capability to survive in hostile environments that would quickly kill an unprotected baseline (and many other novas), and it's easy to see the reason for this idea. Ironically, these novas aren't truly as independent as they would like to think. Deny them the ambient quantum energies that they're used to having around and they'll soon suffer from quantum deprivation, which is much like starvation and is just as unpleasant. Deny them access to the ambient "ordered" noetic energy produced by thriving biospheres and healthy baseline humans, and they will be more likely to develop Taint. Deny them the chance to interact with other people in difficult circumstances, and their personal growth will be stunted.

A Mega-Willful nova with this enhancement is the exception to those rules; as he is able to survive in telluric environments that would quickly cause other novas to perish, lose control of their quantum powers, or become Taint-wracked abominations. The Solitaire nova also enjoys an enhanced resistance to attempts to disrupt or hinder his quantum powers by telluric means, as well as an enhanced capability to purge himself of Taint and greater control over his own quantum energies.

System: The nova with this enhancement can provide for all of his own telluric needs for an indefinite period, as long as he retains at least one quantum point in his Quantum Pool. As a Solitaire nova enjoys a stronger link to the quantum world than other novas, which allows him to replenish his Quantum Pool wherever he is, even in regions that are seemingly devoid of ambient quantum energies. The nova is also capable of converting his quantum energies into both "free" noetic energy, allowing him to both continually emit "ordered" noetic energy at levels identical to those of an equivalent number of baseline humans (use Strength & Mega-Strength for comparative noetic output rates) and replenish his own noetic template by himself - in game terms, a Solitaire is at no risk of developing Taint if he should forego regular contact with baseline humans and vigorous biospheres. The Solitaire nova can also survive indefinitely in hostile telluric environments; such as areas contaminated with taint energies, regions with excessive amounts of ambient noetic (psi) energy, natural phenomena that can hinder quantum use (such as certain forms of stellar activity), regions seemingly devoid of ambient quantum and/or noetic energy and the detrimental effects of noetic turbulences (such as the Hammersmith Effect, Galatea Incident, and Venezuela Phenomenon).

The Solitaire nova is also automatically immune to the effects of any drugs, substances or devices meant to directly impair novas' use of quantum energies. This would include Eclipsidol, Moxinoquantamine, and all sorts of technological power dampeners and inhibitors. He also gains six extra soak, Resistance dice, Willpower successes, or automatic successes in resisted actions (as applicable) against noetic interference with his quantum powers and use of the Disrupt or Disimmunize (from Aberrant: Teragen) quantum powers against him.

Finally, the Solitaire nova can stimulate his own personal growth without requiring close contact with others- in game terms, he can gain experience points from adventuring solo as if he was actually part of a group. (At the Storyteller's discretion, a Solitaire nova might also gain slightly more in the way of personal growth/experience when he does join with a group. Depending on the Storyteller's tastes, a Solitaire nova might not only gain a +1 bonus to his received experience points, but provide that bonus to the rest of the group as well.) This enhancement is always on, and has no quantum point cost.

Re: Crucible v1.0-

Read & review, please.

Crucible (Mega-Willpower)

Prerequisites: Mega-Willpower 6+ and the Solitaire and Quantum Baffle enhancements.

When Willpower and quantum energy work in concert, wondrous things can happen. Certain novas that have attained the upper ranges of Mega-Willpower are living proof of this, as they have learned how to use their quantum-amplified Willpower to literally purge themselves of the effects of Taint, both their own and that inflicted by them by others.

System: A nova can have up to 5 levels of this enhancement, with the benefits described below.

● - The nova gets (Mega-Willpower / 2) additional dice on all rolls to resist the effects of quantum powers that involve altering (but not increasing) her own Taint or lack of same, such as Aberration Transfer. Also, the ratings of any noetic effects that would interfere with the nova's use of quantum are automatically halved before any rolls are made.

●● - The nova gets (Mega-Willpower) additional dice on all rolls to resist the effects of quantum powers that involve altering (but not increasing) her own Taint or lack of same, such as Aberration Transfer. The nova gets (Mega-Willpower / 2) additional dice on all rolls to resist the effects of quantum powers that would increase her own Taint (both permanent and temporary) ratings, such as that possessed by the Terat Sin-Eater. Also, the ratings of any noetic effects that would interfere with the nova's use of quantum are automatically halved before any rolls are made.

●●● - The nova is automatically immune to the effects of quantum powers that involve altering (but not increasing) her own Taint. The nova gets (Mega-Willpower) additional dice on all rolls to resist the effects of quantum powers that would increase her own Taint (both permanent and temporary) ratings. The nova is automatically immune to any noetic effects that would interfere with the nova's use of quantum. Also, the ratings of any quantum powers -such as Disrupt and Disimmunize - that would interfere with the nova's use of quantum are automatically halved before any rolls are made.

●●●● - The nova is automatically immune to the effects of quantum powers that involve either altering or increasing her own Taint. The nova is automatically immune to any noetic effects that would interfere with the nova's use of quantum. The ratings of any quantum powers -such as Disrupt and Disimmunize - that would interfere with the nova's use of quantum are automatically halved before any rolls are made. Also, the nova can now purge herself of temporary Taint by making a Willpower roll. If successful, he can spend quantum points to rid herself of temporary Taint on a 1-to-1 basis. If the roll fails, the quantum points aren't converted and nothing happens. A botch results in the nova's quantum points being converted, but immediately dissipating into the local noetic medium without providing any benefit to the nova. If the nova has both Quantum and Mega-Willpower ratings of 8, she can also purge herself of permanent Taint - along with any associated aberrations and social penalties - in the same way, although at a cost of 10 quantum points per point of permanent Taint.

●●●●● - The nova is automatically immune to the effects of powers that involve either altering or increasing her own Taint. The nova is automatically immune to any noetic effects that would interfere with the nova's use of quantum. The ratings of any quantum powers -such as Disrupt and Disimmunize - that would interfere with the nova's use of quantum are automatically quartered before any rolls are made. The nova can purge herself of Taint as described above. Also, the nova can now spend 3 quantum points per scene to generate a "taint anodyne" effect, which is essentially the counterpart to the "Taint Bleed" aberration (Aberrant Players Guide p. 96). When employing this effect, the nova gives off a form of telluric energy that automatically negates any ambient taint radiation around her and permanently cleanses it from her vicinity, restoring the health and fertility of her current environs. The taint anodyne affects everything within 100 square meters of the nova per scene of use. While using the taint anodyne, the nova's mere presence is enough to prevent baselines humans from not only contracting taint diseases, but allows them to recover from taint diseases as either bashing or lethal damage, depending on the details of their specific taint diease (Storyteller's discretion). Tainted organisms within the range of effect may also recover from taint exposure in the same way, at the Storyteller's discretion. However, the taint anodyne can do nothing to protect against future taint exposure, nor can it help other novas to deal with their own Taint in any way.

This enhancement has no quantum cost and is always on, except where noted above.

RE: Solitaire

Some of this is a solution in search of a problem. - in game terms, a Solitaire is at no risk of developing Taint if he should forego regular contact with baseline humans and vigorous biospheres.

The problem is we have no game mechanics, or even flavor text, that suggests that you develop Taint if you do this.

RE: The Solitaire nova is also automatically immune to the effects of any drugs, substances or devices meant to directly impair novas' use of quantum energies. This would include Eclipsidol, Moxinoquantamine, and all sorts of technological power dampeners and inhibitors.

IMHO Drugs is outside the effect of this. You access quantum better, it’s harder for your powers to be disrupted, but Drug resistance is a Stamina thing, not a willpower thing.

RE: Depending on the Storyteller's tastes, a Solitaire nova might not only gain a +1 bonus to his received experience points, but provide that bonus to the rest of the group as well.)

This is seriously an enhancement by itself, and a powerful one at that. I as ST probably wouldn’t allow it, which BTW is a good reason to split this one out.

RE: Crucible

Fewer levels please. It's already Q6 min, and Mega-Willpower 6, there's no need for 5 levels.

Say... one level makes you immune to having your Taint monkey'ed with AND gives you the temp taint purge. One more level let's you do it for an area.

Halving other people's rolls in creating new game mechanics and we should shy away from that... and I'm not sure if Disrupt and Disimmunize should be included in this anyway. We are already going to have other enhancements which oppose Quantum Monkeys, this one would be really buff if it only opposes taint.

We also need to say something about this not having any effect on Perm Taint that the nova inflicts on himself... but we might also say that having this enhancement means you can't buy things tainted.

RE: Spending Quantum to reduce Taint.

I suggest we alter the mechanics for this. You spend temp willpower to reduce temp taint. You spend Perm Willpower to reduce Perm Taint.

Well, it's not like I wasn't expecting these to be controversial. ::sly In order, then:

(Alex's feedback)

Re: Solitaire-

>"This is a solution in search of a problem..."

I beg to differ. Check out p. 25 of TFR: Noetic Science; it makes very clear remarks on how the Edenite novas are/were dependent upon both their baseline subjects and the vigorous biosphere for their noetic energy needs. We just haven't established rules for how novas are influenced by their local noetic environment, that's all. So Solitaire does address an existing problem, it just hasn't been touched on (AFAIK) in any great detail yet.

>Resistance to quantum-impairing drugs

I admit there's some overlap here, but Eclipsidol and Mox both directly mess with a nova's M-R node, and Mega-Stamina is of no help whatsoever in resisting Eclipsidol. Check out p. 56 of the Directive sourcebook; there's no way for a biological nova to resist the effects Eclipsidol short of having the antidote on hand. There may be a case for dropping the reference to Mox, but Eclipsidol counts as far more than a simple drug, judging from its writeup.

>Group experience bonus

Since it was left up to the Storyteller to begin with, excising the possibility of a group bonus isn't anything I have any problem with.

Re: Crucible-

>"Too many levels!"

Funny, I thought that using the framework from "Rugged (Mega-Stamina)" wasn't going to be a problem. This IS supposed to allow the creation of the Mega-WP equivalent of the Incredible Hulk, folks. It's not often that I've been accused of overcharging for an effect. ::laugh

Seriously, do you really think that reducing the effect range to 3 levels (off-hand guesstimation) would be plausible for the effects I've outlined?

>Halving (or quartering) other's effect ratings

That's another carryover from Rugged. Remember the lines about certain types of damage being halved or quartered before soak? Same thing here, only against a different threat.

>Disrupt & Disimmunize

They're the closest thing we've got to the telluric equivalent of bioweapons. It's an outgrowth from Solitaire, which is one of Crucible's 2 prerequisite enhancements.

>Crucible should not affect any self-inflicted permanent Taint

I'm extremely dubious about this. As it stands, a Mega-WP nova will need Quantum & Mega-WP 8, along with 4 levels of Crucible (12 nova points) to even attempt to purge his own permanent Taint. Last I heard, we'd established Q 8 as the minimum benchmark for getting rid of Taint.

>Crucible should prevent novas from buying things Tainted

Given how badly the player of a Mega-WP nova would want to avoid Taint, this sounds kind of redundant. I have no real objection to it, though.

>Crucible should use WP points to purge Taint

2 problems with that, friend:

1- Purging Taint already requires a Willpower roll, which would cost 1 WP point whether the attempt succeeds or fails. Guess I'll have to make that clearer in the first revision.

>and<

2- Ever see the canon mode layouts for Quantuakinesis? With Energetics 5, it was stated that quantum energy could be converted into noetic energy, and vice versa. What a nova purging Taint with Crucible is doing is converting his own quantum energy into "ordered" noetic energy, which is used to correct noetic template distortion (Taint). That's why the quantum point prices for purging Taint are so high.

(metaphysician's feedback)

>Crucible should use WP points to purge Taint

See my response above.

>"Taint anodyne" effect should be a stand-alone enhancement

I don't think that would work out. According to the logic I used in creating Crucible, the nova must first be able to purge/negate the Taint within himself before he can do so for his immediate environment.

Re: Solitaire-

>"This is a solution in search of a problem..."

I beg to differ. Check out p. 25 of TFR: Noetic Science...

I don't have that one. Is that available on line?
>Resistance to quantum-impairing drugs

I admit there's some overlap here, but Eclipsidol and Mox both directly mess with a nova's M-R node, and Mega-Stamina is of no help whatsoever in resisting Eclipsidol. Check out p. 56 of the Directive sourcebook; there's no way for a biological nova to resist the effects Eclipsidol short of having the antidote on hand. There may be a case for dropping the reference to Mox, but Eclipsidol counts as far more than a simple drug, judging from its writeup.

Eclipsidol came out with AB:WWI. It then got Trumped by Health with enough Mega-Stamina.

Re: TFR:Noetic Science (aka TFR: Noetics)-

::blink It's available for free right here at EON, Alex. Go to the "Downloads" section, & check out the Trinity e-books. It's there to be picked up 24/7. ::smile

Re: Eclipsidol-

::confused I think you've got things confused again, friend. Eclipsidol's first appearance (on p. 3) & writeup (on pp. 55-56) are both in Aberrant: The Directive. I think you've got that confused with the VTP (Virally Tailored Poisons) Dart Guns found on p. 115 of AB:WW1, which are a whole different kettle of fish.

As to whether the Health enhancement could protect against Eclipsidol, we have no evidence at all for that. The writeup gives us exactly nada in the way of Eclipsidol's Virulence rating, which is what Health's effects are measured against. Very frustrating. ::brick

Re: TFR:Noetic Science (aka TFR: Noetics)-

Thank you.

Re: Eclipsidol's Virulence Rating

Unfortunately none of the drugs have V ratings in their description, and the chart isn't in the APG with Health. However the chart does exist, it's just in AB:WWI with the Bio-manip power. If we assume Eclip actually has a v rating and isn't just a magic ultra-trump, then presumably Health would function normally.

Re: TFR Noetics-

::smile You're welcome.

Well, according to the writeup it's a synthetic neurotransmitter, the natural version of which is only produced in a nova's M-R node & doesn't exist in baseline neurochemistry. (Kuro-Tek strikes again... ::sly ) Unsure whether "nova biochemical, likely never before seen on Earth" would qualify as your "magic ultra-trump", though.

BTW, I've got the chart in question (AB:WW1, on p. 113) right in front of me, and I see no listing for Eclipsidol whatsoever. It's got listings for all the other nova drugs, though.

BTW, I've got the chart in question (AB:WW1, on p. 113) right in front of me, and I see no listing for Eclipsidol whatsoever. It's got listings for all the other nova drugs, though.
I don't suppose you (or someone else with WW1) would consider typing up and posting that chart for those of us who don't have it?

My inclination is to tag is virulence 5, same as soma, nerve gas, and heart attacks. Its just, being a nova-derived drug, its not automatically negated by mega stamina and adaptability.

So, the list of defenses is:

-Health ( normally, eclipsidol doesn't allow a defense roll, but my inclination is, if you've got health, roll against the reduced virulence to resist )

-Adaptability with a special effect consisting of 'no physiology' ( such as is related to alot of Bodymorphs )

-Invulnerability: either Poisons or Quantum Manipulation ( eclipsidol is basically both )

-Defenses that prevent its introduction ( Armor vs darts, Force Fields vs skin contact, Adaptability and holding breath vs gasses, etc )

Well, according to the writeup it's a synthetic neurotransmitter, the natural version of which is only produced in a nova's M-R node & doesn't exist in baseline neurochemistry. (Kuro-Tek strikes again... ::sly ) Unsure whether "nova biochemical, likely never before seen on Earth" would qualify as your "magic ultra-trump", though.

Technobabble. If I define my other powers to be [technobabble] does that mean it ignores standard defenses as well?
As I recall there are a number of ommissions, both in that chart and in the one for the Poison power that talks about Disease V levels. Let's face it there are a lot of drugs and diseases. However that chart already has an example of a "neurotransmitter, the natural version of which is only produced in a nova's M-R node... (etc)", i.e. Soma.

Disease V levels go from 0 to 4, Drug V levels go from 0 to 5. Eclipsidol presumably is at the same level Soma, which makes it maxed out on the "badness" chart with a V of 5. So Mega-Stamina 5 + Health makes you immune, some of the other levels of Mega-Stamina lower the effect to the point where you can try to resist with greater or lesser chances of success. Although it's worth noting that even if you blow your roll, Health *still* reduces the effects so it isn't going to be nearly as bad.

Moving back to the topic, (working from memory with my books home) none of the other drugs, for baselines or for novas, are resisted by willpower. Addiction is resisted by willpower, but the actual effects of the drugs are not.

The likely mechanic for this sort of thing is just dropping temp willpower for autosucc on other rolls.

Was it very difficult? Not the sort of thing the hero can do every day? Then we are talking about temp willpower and not normal shear willpower.

The mechanic we are looking at is someone whose willpower is so high that he can negate some sorts of effects all the time.

For example: Let's assume for the moment that Batman has Mega-Willpower. OK, now we have a problem, because it took a real effort of will (i.e. it was a problem) trying to shrug off those drugs.

Invulnerability: either Poisons or Quantum Manipulation ( eclipsidol is basically both )

If it doesn't show up on a quantum detector then it isn't Quantum Manipulation. The Directive's wonder drug is, when you come down to it, only a drug. The usual things that protect against drugs still apply.

One of the problems here is that Adaptability was horribly overly broad, so much so that WW had to create a class of "nova drugs" that "ignore" Adaptability, and then they had to create another enhancement to deal with those.

Adaptability deals with environmental issues that you're going to run into on other planets. This includes drugs/poisons/diseases in the environment. Where WW ran into trouble is coming up with a way to split "environmental" drugs/poisons/diseases from the artificial ones. They should have had it deal with the nova "Poison" power in the same way it deals with "Fire".

However it does what it does. In abby…

Adaptability deals with non-nova specific drugs and also opposes the poison power. It offers total immunity to all environmental effects, but it is possible to poison an adaptive nova, it’s just harder since they have those 6 auto succ.

Health deals with all drugs/poisons, also including the poison power, but doesn't help with environmental stuff. It can offer total immunity to all drugs and poisons, including nova specific ones, but it is possible to suffocate a Healthy nova. At high levels it is not possible to overwelm the poison resistance of a healthy nova with poison, just as it isn't possible to sufficate an Adaptive nova.

Re: Body Manipulation chart-

Why not? Here you go, Blue Ninja. ::smile

Aside from being functionally identical to the Poison power when used to imitate diseases or poisons, this Biomanipulation technique can produce the following effects.

1 Success: Sneezing Fits, Depressants, Instant Sun Tan.

2 Successes: Orgasms, Tear Gas, Amphetamines, Sterility or Radically Increased Fertility, Tiredness, Insomnia.

3 Successes: Mite, Mox, Adrenocilin, Hallucinogens, Seizures, Mania or Depression.

4 Successes: Red 7, Narcolepsy, Paranoia, Schizophrenia.

5 Successes: Nerve Gas, Some, Heart Attacks.

100% agreed that it's technobabble. Provided no one objects to Eclipsidol being affected by health just like any other nova drug, I'll delete the drug references in the upcoming revisions of Solitaire.

Re: Resistance via "sheer willpower!"-

Interesting, esp. the Doom & Batman references. Doom would be a shoe-in for Mega-WP if his obvious mental Taint didn't conflict with it.

Nah, Doom isn't tainted His megalomania is entirely natural. ::biggrin
Tend to agree, the way he's been written he had megalomania from day one, and as his powers/taint increase his insanity hasn't.

Having said that, he could be written up as a highly tainted nova or even as a psi-ad.

Nah, Doom isn't tainted His megalomania is entirely natural. ::biggrin

agreed...not every megalomaniac/crazy person is so from taint...in Doom's case it had to do with being raised by such an egotistical and abusive father...

Re: Eclipsodol...

In the directive book they talk about using it on sloppy joe. Sloppy Joe has both Adaptability AND a permanent force field, yet the Directive agents seem to know that it is going to work on him anyway...they talk a couple of time about how its going to deactivate his force field (even though its permanent) and create a dangerous acidic mess everywhere, This along with the vector (in this case contact gas) seems to suggest that Eclipsodol ignores such defenses...

HOWEVER! this almost doesn't sit right with me since it is described as a neurotransmitter that was originally injected intramuscularly and therefore effects the novas node...

So I think that they might have been smoking crack when they wrote the power... How is the gas going to get through sloppy joe's force field, and then adaptability? What if it was someone bodymorphed into fire or metal...these are the grey areas since such novas ostensibly dont have a flesh and blood brain or node anymore...

As further evidence of crack-smoking one need only finish reading the description...forst it says that there is a way to combat the effects with an ingested anti-eclipsodol pill, then IMMEDIATLY after it has an antidote section where it says there is no antidote....

This is what happens when game publishers spend to much time in the book binding room with all the glue fumes...

Re: Doom's megalomania & other assorted mental disorders-

Point made & taken. Suppose I'll see about hammering out an enhancement to allow for the "staying conscious & (barely) functional whilst being vivisected" feat that Doom pulled off. Revised versions of Solitaire & Crucible will come first though, and will be posted soon.

Re: Eclipsidol & Sloppy Joe-

Perhaps it was a mix of overconfidence on the Directive's part & their underestimating Sloppy Joe (& novas in general)? Looking at their stated plans to deal with Divis Mal (AB: Directive p. 35), I have doubts that they know what they're dealing with.

RE: Joe

The Agents aren't doctors and hadn't actually used it so whether it would work is speculative at best, and "wishful thinking" at worse.

RE: Forcefield

In general forcefields don't ignore or protect against Poison, or gas attacks. Worse, Joe left acid everywhere he went, and said acid was defined as part of his body, so it's going to come into contact with him.

RE: Adaptability

Doesn't tend to work against nova specific drugs. You might argue that he doesn't breath (although he does talk so that's iffy) so you need a contact or injectable or even pill for Joe. A Pill would work because it could be thrown into him.

RE: Bodymorph

Unclear. However, at least for Joe, there still is a node in there somewhere.

HOWEVER...

Joe also has immolate, i.e. his acid attack, and it's always on. This is going to attack anything that he comes in contact with, and I don't see why Eclip would get a pass on that.

Conclusion: Joe probably can't be effected by Eclip.

Re: Solitaire v3.1-

Provided this passes muster, I'll be updating the other enhancment listings for the Mega-WP v1.6 document.

Solitaire (Mega-Willpower)

To many in the Nova Age, novas with enhancements such as Adaptability seem to embody the ideal of self-sufficiency. Without any need to eat or drink, food and beverages become luxuries that can be set aside instead of necessities. Without the need to breathe, fresh air becomes a pleasant part of the environmental background instead of vital life support. Add on the capability to survive in hostile environments that would quickly kill an unprotected baseline (and many other novas), and it's easy to see the reason for this idea. Ironically, these novas aren't truly as independent as they would like to think. Deny them the ambient quantum energies that they're used to having around and they'll soon suffer from quantum deprivation, which is much like starvation and is just as unpleasant. Deny them access to the ambient "ordered" noetic energy produced by thriving biospheres and healthy baseline humans, and they will be more likely to develop Taint. Deny them the chance to interact with other people in difficult circumstances, and their personal growth will be stunted.

A Mega-Willful nova with this enhancement is the exception to those rules; as he is able to survive in telluric environments that would quickly cause other novas to perish, lose control of their quantum powers, or become Taint-wracked abominations. The Solitaire nova also enjoys an enhanced resistance to attempts to disrupt or hinder his quantum powers by telluric means, as well as an enhanced capability to purge himself of Taint and greater control over his own quantum energies.

System: The nova with this enhancement can provide for all of his own telluric needs for an indefinite period, as long as he retains at least one quantum point in his Quantum Pool. As a Solitaire nova enjoys a stronger link to the quantum world than other novas, which allows him to replenish his Quantum Pool wherever he is, even in regions that are seemingly devoid of ambient quantum energies. The nova is also capable of converting his quantum energies into both "free" noetic energy, allowing him to both continually emit "ordered" noetic energy at levels identical to those of an equivalent number of baseline humans (use Strength & Mega-Strength for comparative noetic output rates) and replenish his own noetic template by himself - in game terms, a Solitaire is at no risk of developing Taint if he should forego regular contact with baseline humans and vigorous biospheres. The Solitaire nova can also survive indefinitely in hostile telluric environments; such as areas contaminated with taint energies, regions with excessive amounts of ambient noetic (psi) energy, natural phenomena that can hinder quantum use (such as certain forms of stellar activity), regions seemingly devoid of ambient quantum and/or noetic energy and the detrimental effects of noetic turbulences (such as the Hammersmith Effect, Galatea Incident, and Venezuela Phenomenon).

The Solitaire nova is also automatically immune to the effects of any substances or devices meant to directly impair novas' use of quantum energies. This would include all sorts of Inspired technological power dampeners and inhibitors. He also gains six extra soak, Resistance dice, Willpower successes, or automatic successes in resisted actions (as applicable) against noetic interference with his quantum powers and use of the Disrupt or Disimmunize (from Aberrant: Teragen) quantum powers against him.

Finally, the Solitaire nova can stimulate his own personal growth without requiring close contact with others- in game terms, he can gain experience points from adventuring solo as if he was actually part of a group. This enhancement is always on, and has no quantum point cost.

Re: Crucible v1.1-

Hopefully this will pass muster as well. ::smile

Crucible (Mega-Willpower)

Prerequisites: Mega-Willpower 6+ and the Solitaire and Quantum Baffle enhancements.

When Willpower and quantum energy work in concert, wondrous things can happen. Certain novas that have attained the upper ranges of Mega-Willpower are living proof of this, as they have learned how to use their quantum-amplified Willpower to literally purge themselves of the effects of Taint, both their own and that inflicted by them by others.

System: A nova can have up to 5 levels of this enhancement, with the benefits described below.

● - The nova gets (Mega-Willpower / 2) additional dice on all rolls to resist the effects of quantum powers that involve altering (but not increasing) her own Taint or lack of same, such as Aberration Transfer. Also, the ratings of any noetic effects that would interfere with the nova's use of quantum are automatically halved before any rolls are made.

●● - The nova gets (Mega-Willpower) additional dice on all rolls to resist the effects of quantum powers that involve altering (but not increasing) her own Taint or lack of same, such as Aberration Transfer. The nova gets (Mega-Willpower / 2) additional dice on all rolls to resist the effects of quantum powers that would increase her own Taint (both permanent and temporary) ratings, such as that possessed by the Terat Sin-Eater. Also, the ratings of any noetic effects that would interfere with the nova's use of quantum are automatically halved before any rolls are made.

●●● - The nova is automatically immune to the effects of quantum powers that involve altering (but not increasing) her own Taint. The nova gets (Mega-Willpower) additional dice on all rolls to resist the effects of quantum powers that would increase her own Taint (both permanent and temporary) ratings. The nova is automatically immune to any noetic effects that would interfere with the nova's use of quantum. Also, the ratings of any quantum powers -such as Disrupt and Disimmunize - that would interfere with the nova's use of quantum are automatically halved before any rolls are made.

●●●● - The nova is automatically immune to the effects of quantum powers that involve either altering or increasing her own Taint. The nova is automatically immune to any noetic effects that would interfere with the nova's use of quantum. The ratings of any quantum powers -such as Disrupt and Disimmunize - that would interfere with the nova's use of quantum are automatically halved before any rolls are made. Also, the nova can now purge herself of temporary Taint by making a Willpower roll. If successful, he can spend quantum points to rid herself of temporary Taint on a 1-to-1 basis. If the roll fails, the quantum points aren't converted and nothing happens. A botch results in the nova's quantum points being converted, but immediately dissipating into the local noetic medium without providing any benefit to the nova. If the nova has both Quantum and Mega-Willpower ratings of 8, she can also purge herself of permanent Taint - along with any associated aberrations and social penalties - in the same way, although at a cost of 10 quantum points per point of permanent Taint.

●●●●● - The nova is automatically immune to the effects of powers that involve either altering or increasing her own Taint. The nova is automatically immune to any noetic effects that would interfere with the nova's use of quantum. The ratings of any quantum powers -such as Disrupt and Disimmunize - that would interfere with the nova's use of quantum are automatically quartered before any rolls are made. The nova can purge herself of Taint as described above. Also, the nova can now spend 3 quantum points per scene to generate a "taint anodyne" effect, which is essentially the counterpart to the "Taint Bleed" aberration (Aberrant Players Guide p. 96). When employing this effect, the nova gives off a form of telluric energy that automatically negates any ambient taint radiation around her and permanently cleanses it from her vicinity, restoring the health and fertility of her current environs. The taint anodyne affects everything within 100 square meters of the nova per scene of use. While using the taint anodyne, the nova's mere presence is enough to prevent baselines humans from not only contracting taint diseases, but allows them to recover from taint diseases as either bashing or lethal damage, depending on the details of their specific taint diease (Storyteller's discretion). Tainted organisms within the range of effect may also recover from taint exposure in the same way, at the Storyteller's discretion. However, the taint anodyne can do nothing to protect against future taint exposure, nor can it help other novas to deal with their own Taint in any way.

All of this does not come without a cost; as a nova who takes any level of Crucible cannot purchase Tainted Quantum, Mega-Attributes, enhancements or quantum powers with either nova points or experience points. This enhancement has no quantum cost and is always on, except where noted above.

RE: Forcefield

In general forcefields don't ignore or protect against Poison, or gas attacks. Worse, Joe left acid everywhere he went, and said acid was defined as part of his body, so it's going to come into contact with him.

I suppose that depends on special effects...I might argue that certain forcefields *don't* allow gas exchange..such as space faring adaptable Novas...On the other hand Joe's does seem to be semi-permeable so in his case you are correct. I would also say that Impervious Force Fields would definitely not let anything through...

RE: Adaptability

Doesn't tend to work against nova specific drugs. You might argue that he doesn't breath (although he does talk so that's iffy) so you need a contact or injectable or even pill for Joe. A Pill would work because it could be thrown into him.

I dont think he breathes...most of his tissues have been disintegrated and even if there are still semi regenerated lungs floating in that soup, its not like they are connected to a circulatory or respiratory system.

Also..wouldn't a pill just bounce off the force field, the same as a punch, bullet, or q-bolt would??

RE: Bodymorph

Unclear. However, at least for Joe, there still is a node in there somewhere.

agreed...the pics show his brain still somewhat intact.

Joe also has immolate, i.e. his acid attack, and it's always on. This is going to attack anything that he comes in contact with, and I don't see why Eclip would get a pass on that.

although if you read his description, the "acid" is actually a very virulent form of cancer that also somehow can eat through metal etc. I agree with you Alex, though its an odd special effect for an acid...

Tend to agree, the way he's been written he had megalomania from day one, and as his powers/taint increase his insanity hasn't.

Having said that, he could be written up as a highly tainted nova or even as a psi-ad.

Doom's a hard one to write up, certainly. Psiad wouldn't work, though. His intelligence and science abilities are fully in the high end Aberrant range. Plus, I'm not sure if there's *any* good way to cover ritualistic magic. . .

Archived