Trinity RPG - Earthquakes

Seven

I just read America Offline and didn't recall seeing any information on earthquakes. I would have thought an incident would have occurred on the West Coast of Nordaamerica that warranted mention in the book.

I was wondering if I missed something or not. Does anyone ever remember reading about the West Coast getting hit by the big one in any of the Trinity books? If not, what do you think the ramifications of a large earthquake on the West North American coast would be?

• 2 weeks later...

i live in california (very near the san andreas fault), and the story about part of the state falling off into the ocean is total b.s. (i studied siesmology for a while) if part of the coast is missing, it wouldn't have come from a quake...  

as far as the reprecussions of a big quake hitting well... no one ehre really believes in the "big one" so very few people have food or water or first aid kits stored... most people would be screwed making rescue missions and emergency supplies vital... the costs for food and water alone would likely be in the millions... other necessities like shelter, gas, clothing i'm not even going to touch...

most buildings are up to earth quake code, but like so many people have said you can't anticapate every frequency of quake, besides there are still a lot of older buildings, most houses are only coded up to the year they were built and have never been renovated making the likeliness of mass homelessness increase...

the "big one" would have to be a very big quake indeed to cause the type of destruction most people think of when it's brought up... it would most likely be a 9.6 through 9.8 quake (those would be record breakers) with a duration of two minutes or so with at least three after shocks of up to 7.5

that would cause an huge amount of damage, the 1989 quake was a big one and it wasn't that bad... possible occurences... bridge collapses, homes collapse/catch fire, water and gas mains break causing floods and fires, some trees down, along with electrical polls, damaged roads (the earth opening up and swallowing cars/people is another myth) and various other problems... it could be a huge event... but, i must restate it, no part of the coast would fall off...

sorry, to rant, but i rarely get the chance to talk about the few things i know...

-harle

Harle's right. We live in the same area (20 miles difference), just north of San Francisco. The last local big one (remember the local thing, it comes heavily into play) was ony a 7.1 at epicenter, if I recall. It downed some older structures that needed some work and started a few fires. Up in our area, it was a 3.5. Rattled us a little, but was more entertaining than anything.

Californians are notoriously blase about our quakes. Especially when we see foreigners freaking out because they actually felt that 2 pointer.  :sarcasm Most of us will sleep through something if it doesn't either toss us out of bed, or toss something else in.

The locality also plays a big part in quakes. We never even felt Loma Preada (SP). It was a 6 + down in Los Angeles, causing quite a bit of mayhem. Since Cali is such a tall state, what happens at one end is rarely (truly) felt by the other. (The power crisis of last year was different, though.  :angry  )

Anyway, my two bits.

-Joseph

Florida isn't on the Trinity map due to stuff that happened in Aberrant. It seems the water-woman from Team Tomorrow was fighting something else and screwed up by sending a massive tidalwave over Florida that knocked Florida off of it's limestone base. I think the water-woman was Posiden (sp?) but I'm not sure. I don't even play AB.

Now a really good flood in Florida could cause all sorts of damage. When it rains hard here there are floods, I couldn't even imagine what a real flood or class 5 huricane could do to this state. I could go on this more (since I live on the east coast of Florida) but I won't bore anyone anymore.

No Sheep

:wavesmiley

I don't know what you're talking about--the events of Florida have nothing to do with Team Tomorrow.  The Aberrant named Posedian (mistakenly called by a masculine name because nobody knew who she was until new records came to light that painted her as Felice Taylor, a... 19 year old I believe--and this was in the 2050s so Team Tomorrow was long since shriveled into minute levels and Teragen membership and independence grew*).  She was simply a girl from Florida who liked the ocean and sea animals and saw that weather changes and global warming and whatnot were threatening it... so she decided to tamper with it for the good of her state..... and she botched.

-Breearg

* Supposition, but I do believe the APG hints that this is the case.

i haven't seen the map that's been refered to (don't have america offline), but i've been trying to think of something that would "knock" part of the coast off... is the part that's missing on the north or south, and about how big is it? point reyes could be disappeared fairly easy (the place that started those falling off into the ocean rumors), but the rest of the state is pretty solid... i think a natural (or not quite natural) disaster wouldn't be able to do it...

-harle

hmmm, if enough of the polar ice caps melted, the san joquin valley might flood, the san francisco bay area might go partially underwater, but the coast is pretty rocky, lots of cliffs, or at least small hills so flooding probably wouldn't do it... a small section could be explain though through any random aberrant attack...

-harle

Archived