Aberrant: In the Beginning - Chapter 3 - Pangaea

Titan

The blazing blue energy streaming from Joe's eyes never ceased. He had put a good portion of his energy into stopping the quake, but now he needed to make sure that it didn't happen again.

He nodded and stood, shakily, as Trudy put her hand on his back. He pointed to the black car with the two 'bodyguards' to either side of the convulsing source of the quake.

The sense that Joe had gotten was one of fear, not one of malice, so he wasn't angry, per-se, but he needed to protect these people, and the city, from any other disruptions.

Air, please aid me. This one has caused a disruption, an imbalance, and needs to be separated from his element before he can cause further harm.

Joe centered himself and took a step forward. This was a kata that his body knew well and was easily able to perform, despite his exhaustion. His arms went rigid, one 90 degrees pointing up, and the other 90 degrees pointing down. In karate it was a block, but now it helped him to focus on what he was asking the air to do... spin... trap the guy convulsing on the ground and lift him far enough to break his connection with the earth.

He took another step, and his arms went straight out in front of him, heels together, palms out. Subconsciously Joe put a spin to the move that would drastically decrease its' striking capability, but in this instance it helped him to focus. As he both asked and commanded the wind to lift and contain the man, he spoke to those around him, blue light spilling from his mouth as he spoke.

"He's the one. He created the earthquake, and the two with him I'd bet were in on it."

It probably didn't sound quite the way he meant it, but it was said nonetheless. He had wanted to convey a neutral tone, that that guy was the cause, but possibly inadvertently, or possibly out of fear, but not maliciously either way. But in relaying that the other two hadn't seemed to be taken off guard, it came out more as an accusation. The elemental fury coursing through him, and changing his voice until it almost sounded as if there were multiple people speaking in unison probably didn't help either.

Click to reveal..
Reference to the voice, Aang in the avatar state. It's not technically part of his taint, but I figured that it fit, especially after he maxed trying to stop someone from messing with the elements...

(Joe_Smith): Imprison (Air)

(21:28:46) (Joe_Smith): wits + EM, 6qp

(21:29:04) ChatBot: (Joe_Smith) rolls 5d10 and gets 7,1,5,1,9.

(21:29:08) (Joe_Smith): 2sux

16/32qp, 6/7wp

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Flippin' brilliant!" Michelle's rich contralto managed to convey dismay, disgust, and anger as her crackling electrical form arced from the light socket of one of the garden lamps. As the glowing blue-white woman placed her hands on her naked hips, the coruscating energy that composed her substance at the moment spat small sparks into the air around her, which was a good descriptor for her current mood. Glaring at the men that Joe indicated with almost aristocratic outrage, the buxom nova was clearly looking for someone to blame. "That was my last bleedin' packet of fags, you fuckin' bell-ends!"

The grass around the woman who appeared to be made out of living lightning was crisping and smoldering as she took a step forward and clenched her fists, clearly controlling her temper by a narrow margin. "Anyone care to shut Sonny-Jim there off before I do? I ain't havin' with some flipping epileptic Novus shaking my home town into gravel."

With the shaking done, Fang stood up slowly, not trusting the ground anymore. She staggered over to the window and peered out, asking, "Was that a normal earthquake or one caused by a New Person?"

She was shaking still, but worse than the fear of the earthquake was the fear that this was caused by one of them. If someone had died, it would be one of the first strikes against the New People being accepted. Just the property damage would shorten the 'honeymoon' period that Fang needed to start her plans.

You knew this might happen. You knew it. Already her mind was spinning out scenarios and possibilities of this outcome - the way that people might see this if it were natural and the New People aided them. She also saw what would happen if it were caused by a New Person and there were damages and casualties.

She had to find out which this was and do what she could for her people.

Nathan flipped open his phone, and dialed into the public address system. He spoke, and hoped that the building's wiring was still in place.

"Everyone, this is Nathan Dayes. I know everything just shook and that things are calm now. If anyone sees anything suspicious, call me. Here is my phone number." Nathan listed it, then flipped his phone shut.

"Jay, want to help me do recon? How fast are you again?"

Alison's little joke didn't go by noticed by Jay, as he was about to make a come back, all hell broke loose. The room started to shake and in response Jay threw up a force field around Fang, Nathan and Alison to shield them all from any falling debris.

Originally Posted By: Nathan Dayes
Thus empowered, he nodded to Jay, his brain already cycling down. "Okay. Let's stay calm, try and figure out what's up." Hoping that Jay's power would keep him safe, Nathan crossed to the nearest window or door, to see how widespread the chaos was.

He waited as Nathan did his survey holding the force shield above their heads until the shaking had stopped. He gave it a few seconds before he dropped the shield.

Nathan flipped open his phone, and dialed into the public address system. He spoke, and hoped that the building's wiring was still in place.

"Everyone, this is Nathan Dayes. I know everything just shook and that things are calm now. If anyone sees anything suspicious, call me. Here is my phone number." Nathan listed it, then flipped his phone shut.

"Jay, want to help me do recon? How fast are you again?"

"Yeah, I'll take a look around for you, be right back!" Jay says almost without thinking. He was so used to helping out that he almost failed to realize that something always came up to keep him rooted to this place. This is got to be the last time I do this, I'll never get out of here if I keep playing the hero all the time.

In the face of Michelle's electrical display, and the scene by the car, Juno was momentarily unsure what to do...then she decided. With a flick of her wrists and ankles, she launched herself into the air on a shallow ballistic arc that landed her directly beside the black car, and the men...and the kid.

She planted her fists on her hips and glared at them.

"You boys got some 'splainin' to do," she said in a faux-suthun hick accent.

• 2 weeks later...

Aeon - Inside and Outside

"Everyone, this is Nathan Dayes. I know everything just shook and that things are calm now. If anyone sees anything suspicious, call me. Here is my phone number."

Inside

The dust had literally begun to settle. A half-dozen Novus and a score of doctors stood frozen, waiting fearfully to see if there will be another tremor, Nathan's announcement notwithstanding. The unnatural silence following the announcement is broken by a deep voice echoing through the hallway leading to the examination rooms.

"Where is he? I need to see him!"

A....man?... shambled from the hallway into the waiting room. At first glance he looked like the comic monster 'The Swamp Thing'. He seemed to be made entirely of vines and plants. The spaces between seemed like rich, black soil. He swung his shaggy head back and forth, looking at the assembled Novus and doctors, ultimately dismissing them all. He headed for the door.

Jay King made a quick conduit of the lower floor. The damage seemed minimal, confined mostly to roof tiles and furniture. He ducked outside, only to find a different situation. It was vaguely reminiscent of the mob that had gathered a few weeks ago in the exact same spot, against a Vietnamese delegate who had had the misfortune to be the unwitting carrier of a 'Stormbringer' nuke. The crowd had been bigger, but ultimately contained by his friend Wei Fang. Looking at the woman made of electricity, and the gathering Novus, he was unsure whether this one would be so easily dispersed.

Outside

The young man had stopped his convulsions and hung limply in midair, heaving shaky breaths. One of the men in suits, a black man with a tightly trimmed afro, attended him as best he could, mopping his brow and checking his pulse. He seemed as unfazed about the man's floating in midair as he had been about the quake. The other man, a tall white man with hair so blond it was almost white, interposed himself between the young man and the approaching Novus. He kept his hands out in front of him, seeming more to display a lack of aggression than an actual warding gesture. A tic in his cheek was the only display of stress of any kind.

When Juno vaulted in front of him and demanded an explanation, the blond answered in a thick Russian accent.

"We bring him here to help him. We are not interested in a fight. This man is sick. The...-" The black man, without leaving his patient, interjected. His crisp, Oxford educated accent is at odds with his companion's.

"He is an epileptic. Also a Novus. He was being sought in conjunction with the Los Angeles earthquake, so when he was found in Berlin last night, we were called. We brought him here, for treatment. Frankly, because we are unsure of what to do with him."

The blond produces a badge.

"I am Agent Solovyov, this is Agent Waltham. We are Interpol."

Josh approached the Interpol agents, eyes merely glowing blue not blazing as they were before. He had overheard the conversation and now felt pity for the man he had suspended in the air. That didn't mean that he would let him down or lower his defenses, just that he didn't feel like hurling him into the river.

"Ok, you've got him here, and we were able to avert another disaster of his causing. I don't know what they can do for him here, but if anyone can do it, they can here." Josh said that as much to the Interpol agents as he did to the gathering mob. What had happened wasn't this guy's fault, even if he was the cause. Hopefully they'd be able to sedate him or hold him in such a way as to keep this from happening again. Who knew, there might even be a nova here who could cure his disease.

Still concentrating on holding him in his cage of air, Josh tried to move the man towards the building. There should be enough people gathered in medical so as someone would know something to do with him...

...hopefully.

Archived