Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Fiction - The Marvel and the Man O' War (Complete)

Charlie Cole

Time/Date: February 1, 2010

It seemed his contracts would be done a lot earlier than he thought. Of course, the downside, Air Rat reflected, was that he was going to have to figure out how to spend that free time. Perhaps... though his more mature mind wasn't sure about this, cutting loose for once and enjoying life. Considering he was shedding a lot of blood, perhaps respecting life could pay off for his tired and bruised soul.

Then again, where would I go to? The Amp Room? Vance may be there, but I don't know if the Terats there would take my presence easy. Dumbo, you ARE NOT supposed to have a public identity, so they can't connect Air Rat to their grandmothers.

This was the third mission in a month, and he hoped it wasn't bringing him against another Terat.

Some nova had gone and created a major structure, palace-like in the desert. And it was in enough international boundary lines to make the governments bicker and argue. They didn't know who did it.

But DeVries, Anna herself, had asked Charlie for a quick favor and snooping around the place. If the nova was there and looked friendly, pin-point her out for a recruiting team later.

That was something. But his 340+ MPH flight made this a quick investigation, and he could do it.

A massive wind trailed Charlie as he burst around the sands in the Sahara, and closed in on the palace. It was damn gaudy, but good looking. The whipping winds made a major sandstorm outside as he circled the building before closing in towards a door for a landing on the desert. He was fully costumed and masked, though he supposed he could take it off inside.

For Terra, or Revelation as she was going by at the moment, she wasn't particularly expecting him, but she knew that eventually someone would make an appearance, if only to find out what she was doing here. Of course, while she had chosen her spot with care, she wasn't necessarily set on remaining here indefinitely this was simply her first try, and she was rather happy with it, for the time being.

So, when Air Rat made his appearance, and she became aware of it, which due to her considerably sharpened perceptions was very quickly, she used her teleportation abilities and simply appeared at the entrance to her palace. As usual, she was stark naked, but the way she carried herself, it was though it was simply natural, and with the jewelry she manifested, even rather stylish.

"Air Rat, the so-called Slayer of Monsters, what brings you to my lovely abode?" As she spoke, her impossibly beautiful voice resonated with the air. "Here to seek out yet another who follows the tenants of the Null Manifesto?"

For Charlie, the next minute or whatever the time amount was, was dominated by a series of thoughts.

First thought: Super-sexy naked....

The next one, cutting off the first one abruptly reminded him that he was a professional, and in the milliseconds as he regarded Terra, she seemed a little too sexy, in a strange fashion.

Final thought, was crap, he had to deal with another Terat. Well, it wasn't a whack-a-mole mission, so he could talk.

"Would you believe me if I said DeVries wanted me to ascertain if this builder of this place could listen to a recruitment team, and all before lunch?"

She lifted her right hand and gestured to the entrance, in a manner somewhat similar to royalty inviting another member of royalty into their domain, or at least, that was the impression she conveyed. "Please, join me, if you want to discuss matters involving your company, we can."

Turning, she walked inside the glass and crystal palace, leading him to a room that began to form furniture rising up from the ground even as she walked in, a pair of soft couches, one of which she took a seat upon. "Have a seat, speak your words, and I shall speak mine."

He killed Geryon and still got this politeness, what a wonder! Air Rat followed the golden-skinned nova inside, and as he sat down, he shook his head, looking a bit amused as at some joke.

"You're a Terat, so I'll forget about the job offer. Though I suppose it would be interesting to hear what they think of me in Orzaiz's villa and the Amp Room, among other places. The Slayer of Monsters, eh? I think it's appropriate, Geryon got what he deserved."

"I wouldn't necessarily call El Guardián a monster, and even Geryon had reason for his actions. Perhaps his methods were not exactly the best, but if you label him a monster, what does that make humanity in general? Considering all the wars, atrocities, and even children killed over the centuries for no other reason then power. At least Geyron fought for better reasons then those, though I continue to disagree with his methods, I am sorrowful for his loss. Still, live by the fist, die by the fist." She responded to his statement and question.

"Actually, I wonder that you aren't taking such a view in order to make yourself feel better about your actions, and how you and DeVries are being used by baseline governments. With your power and capability, should you be making more of your own decisions, rather then relying on others to make them for you? After all, would you have hunted and killed El Guardián if you had known everything about him? Wouldn't it be better to be free of such manipulative ties?"

For a moment, Terra's words made Charlie look, if she could have seen past the mask, like he was stomach-punched. She could notice the brief tensing of his body, before Charlie made a response.

"El Guardián was actually a decent person. If I had a second chance and the choice, I'd not kill him. Geryon, I'd kill him a dozen times over if that's what it took. There's a major difference between the two. El Guardián cared about the baselines he supported. Noblesse oblige, but at least he had something serious that the Teragen as a whole seems to lack from my perspective. A moral code.

When really, was the last time that anyone condemned Geryon, in your movement? You say there is baseline morality, but what the hell is your nova morality, and the basis for a nova civilization that you want to create? How can you make any sort of law and order if someone like Geryon can run tit-for-tat ala Lex Talonis?

Humanity may have had it's malefactors, but we remember the heroes and saints as well."

"Actually, the lack of understanding the moral dimension of the Null Manifesto is a considerable tragedy. Nevertheless, even Geyron had a moral code, he was concerned about the way baselines took advantage of and abused novas, and was willing to fight it whenever he saw it. His methods were harsh and frightening, but from his point of view, he was doing what he thought he must, for the good of all novas." She paused a moment.

"Of course, in my view, direct interaction between baselines and nova's is likely to bring tragedy, one way or another. At this time, we are more or less forced to interact with one another, it is a regrettable necessity. Also, just because someone is a nova doesn't mean they aren't capable of making mistakes. It is my goal to guide and teach many of teras into considering where they are going, and why."

"I tend to disagree. How do you term John Simmons wanting to ensure that novas at least respected the laws of Tampa, abuse? Even if novas should be their own nation, there is that tradition where nations respect the laws of each other when criminal activity is involved. Or is the party line 'Humanity doesn't matter?'"

"Second, I find it hard to believe that you're going to cut ties with humanity at all. They at least have built a civilization, which I wonder if a motley collection of so-called gods can do the same thing?"

"Oh... did I mention you seem to be defending Geryon, and yet implying he's made mistakes in his choice of methods? Explain that."

"Baseline laws can not even begin to cover the matter of novas, for them to attempt to is to make gross errors and mistakes. How does one make a law regarding reading someone's thoughts, or traveling when one can be anywhere instantly? To limit such things is an impossibility, it creates a law that only makes those who break it lawbreakers, it attempts to steal power from the one who has it, and give it to an unworthy government. What is more, it can not be enforced. And a law that can not be enforced is a law that has no power, and a law that has no power is a bad law. Is it not Edmond Burke who said a bad law is the worst sort of tyranny?"

"As to cutting ties to humanity, I would not quite go that far, at this time, that is impossible. I am trying to reduce contact between nova's and baselines, and the kind of tragedies that occur because of that contact. Eventually, I hope that we can move beyond humanity, there is infinite room for us when that day comes."

"As to the matter of Geryon, how much do you know of James? His original issue with Tampa was that they banned nova's from the town, a foolish and unenforceable law, and a unjust one as well. Did you know that he never killed another nova? Hurt them, yes, but never killed. Now, baselines are another matter, and that he killed the former mayor of tampa because of his anti-nova retoric and attempts to ban nova's from the town? Do you know why he was so angry at what baseline governments have been doing with regards to novas? Or what his issue with Utopia was? I believe he was mistaken to make the matter of violence, there were better ways to make his point, but Geyron was angry at a great many things and his actions were often a result of that anger, not as well thought out as they could have been."

"John Simmons might have well been the first nova." Air Rat dryly noted.

"Regardless, any new nova society is going to have to determine someway of limiting powers to some extent, because frankly, it may be necessary. Conflict resolution is essential after all. And also, how can you teach responsibility without showing what the true consequences of your actions are? If what happens to baselines doesn't matter to the Teragen, then what does? Frankly, you've said there is a moral dimension to the Null Manifesto, but the hell is it, O Wise Teacher? I've yet to hear anything really answering this question."

"Regulations and laws enacted for the good of Homo Sapiens are too easily subverted and misinterpreted to abuse the rights of novas... " She quoted a portion of the Null Manifesto and then jumped ahead to a different part. "..then it is the duty of every Homo Sapiens Novus to govern himself or herself..." She emphasized three words in her various quotes, then stopped, looking at Air Rat, waiting for a moment, allowing him to think about what she just said, before she continued.

"You understand what I mean by moral dimension now? As to what happens, it's not what happens to baselines, it is what happens to Nova's that Teragen cares about. Baseline humans don't appear to care how much they abuse or pressure Novas, how many burdens they attempt to force upon our brothers and sisters, shouldn't someone care about it? The moral dimension, that of self-control, a nova should act in a manner that benefits his or her status as a new and elevated being. It is true, that many among the Teragen have failed to really govern themselves, but this is true of all novas, and for all of us, in part, this is due to being forced to interact with beings who barely understand them, and push them in ways that cause them to push back."

"Does not Utopia expect their warriors to push themselves to the point of so much pressure that the matter of taint runs out of control? Consider the matter of Anteaus and the pressure that Utopia pressed on their transforming the Sahara project? Teragen exists to stand for the rights of Novas, sense everyone else seems to think that Novas, because of their capabilities should be used for any and every purpose known to man." She then pauses, to allow Air Rat a moment to respond himself.

Air Rat paused... as he regarded these sharp and strong words. And there was a point to them... He had, despite his getting over the pain of the Firerats, losing his gang, never really had fully trusted his own decision making for sure, which had been part of the lure DeVries offered, they took care of things for you, and they had your back.

"Perhaps that is a flaw of Utopia, but I made my own choice to join DeVries, and whatever else, I have the choice to leave if I wanted. I may take difficult and deadly jobs, but I scratch their back, they give me a full massage in response. My life is generally in a solid shape, and should some outside force threaten me, the Agency has my back. So do my fellow Elites. We can stand together, as we choose, and should any baseline or Utopian or Wizard of Oz go after one of us, we close ranks. It's something you miss when demonizing the agency."

"I would respond that Teragen is the same, we take care of our own, and stand together against those who attempt to take us down. Now, I don't demonize DeVries, at least yours is an Organization run by a Nova, employing Novas.. However, it is one that is used for baseline purposes and agendas, and your leadership doesn't appear to care to much." She gestured and a glass statue rose from the ground, a perfect replica of El Guardián. "Case in point, I believe." She raised an eyebrow as she looked at him, waiting for a response.

Air Rat's eyes looked angry for a moment behind the mask, and for a moment, it looked as if he would strike Terra, or more likely attack the statue. After that moment, he leaned back and did neither.

"War is hell. Someone who did no wrong is going to get hurt somewhere along the war, it's a fact. I had my regrets about El Guardián, but again with regards to the Terats he remains a exception, rather than the rule. And I don't see how the Teragen is going to stand for the novas who simply won't agree with their philosophy. Many more novas simply agree with baseline morality and ultimately don't agree with you than you would wish to believe."

Terra snaps her fingers in a sort of grand gesture, and the glass statue shatters then the shards melt away like ice. "There are more Terats out there then you know, who have a degree of morality.. if it wasn't so, there would be more problems then you think from us." She smiled slightly. "And we stand for all nova's by choosing our own way, even if they don't agree with us, we lead and show them by our example that they don't have to be slaves to baseline thought and ideas."

"But even if no one else does, those who make other choices, still matter to me, and I will do what I must to make a greater choices available to them.. or should any seek my aid, I will not turn them away. Even if it means I must act more then I desire to within a baseline world."

"Yet you are the appointed teacher to properly show them what it means to be Terat, and yet the Manifesto calls for self-governance. A contradiction, unless Mal himself wants you to do this."

Air Rat's tone was amused, as if he overall wasn't swayed by the arguments Terra made. "You know, I never got your name."

"I go by Revelation.. but my name is Terra." She responded to his question. "And, actually, I'm trying to point folks out to certain things, Divis has himself said that he's not really cut out to be a teacher, though my own teacher, Scripture, is a very good teacher, much better then I am."

She paused a moment and then winked. "As to the other, it's not a contradiction if it's part of my way of embracing the Manifesto.. and, besides, the others are free to agree or disagree with what I have to say, it's not like it's a divine mandate they must obey. I am trying to point out a different interpretation then most terats have considered, and both Scripture and Divis Mal said I'm free to try. Even if they hadn't, but the terms of the Manifesto, I was free to try anyway."

"Likewise." Charlie walked over to a nearby window, or rather, section of wall open to the air, and leaped up. Using his hands to push himself up, he deftly tucked in his knees and made a rolling vault through the air and out the window.

Straightening feet first, he began to fly before his feet hit the ground and soared off at high speeds in a matter of moments. Two sprays of sands split off in the wake of his trail.

Watching the other nova leave, she smiled slightly as she moved though her glass palace, pleased with how things had gone. Even if he never quite agreed with her statements, at least he had thought about them.

On a different note, she was thinking about starting over, with regards to her place here. Building it hadn't been easy, and she sort of liked it, but it wasn't quite right, there were areas that she thought she could do better.

She glanced over at the window where Air Rat had left. "Farewell, Air Rat, perhaps someday you will come to agree with me on some level or another. Or perhaps not.. either way, I hope you find a measure of peace in life."

Archived