Ante

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cent, is there room for one more player in this game, or are you at your limit? I had been job hunting like mad lately, so I missed this thread till now, but I absolutely ADORE Adventure! and would really, really love to be involved. I even have a vague character concept that I'm trying to flesh out.

...please? *big eyes*

As of right now, here's who I'm counting in terms of interested players:

1) Carver (submitted)

2) Jaunt (submitted)

3) Grav (submitted)

4) Danielt Ingersoll (submitted)

5) Michal Wesson (submitted)

6) Bannon (submitted)

7) Mel Ganker (submitted)

8) Steve Shreveson (submitted)

9) Asarasa (not yet submitted)

10) Katalyst (not yet submitted)

11) Zarthrax (not yet submitted)

12) Samantha Grey (not yet submitted - but but she's got an avie already, so it's only a matter of time)

13) Malachite (not yet submitted)

So, unless I missed someone (which is entirely possible), there's still one slot left. Welcome aboard. smile

After a full review of all the character sheets I've received so far, I've come to the decision that Daredevils should have a higher starting point spread.

As such, Daredevils have 28 Inspiration Points to spend at Char-Gen, not 25 as I had originally posted. I have already updated the relevant post in the Character Creation rules thread.

Mel, that does mean that you have 3 more Inspiration points that you can spend now. Please let me know what you'd like to use them on. smile

I just put up a "suggested" char-sheet template (with a handy copy/paste version hidden in a spoiler).

This is mostly for you guys who haven't yet submitted a character to me yet. Every submission I've gotten so far has been in a wildly different format from all the others and, TBH, some of them have been seriously hard to read. (Just sayin' wink )

You don't have to send me your characters in the format I posted, but whatever format you do use should be just as organized, easy to read, and generally informative.

Speaking of which, those of you who have already submitted characters to me, if you could, please take a moment to compare your submissions to the character template in question. Please send me any information for which there is a field for below that you have not provided me information on yet:

Personal Information:

Birth Name:

Identity:

Legal Status:

Marital Status:

Known Relatives:

Concept:

Nature:

Allegiance(s): (aside from Prometheus, if any)

Eruption/Inspiration/Whatever-Psiads-Call-It:

Physical Traits:

Weight:

Height:

Age (apparent age):

Ethnic Background:

Nationality (place of origin):

Eye Color:

Hair Color:

Handedness:

Appearance:

If it's already there, then you don't need to. Yours was one of the most informative submissions, with the largest amount of personal information, that I received. I really don't think there's anything that you need to add to it (unless you want to, of course wink ).

Publicly putting up the numbers part of your sheets isn't necessary, though you certainly can if you want to.

Your post does bring up a good point that I hadn't gotten around to mentioning yet, however. I will be doing the majority of the dice-rolling for you guys.

This isn't because I don't trust you guys; it's because PbP games just don't lend themselves well to such things (not in my opinion, at least). When you guys are doing all your own rolling yourselves, you never quite know what modifiers or environmental conditions are in effect (if any) or even what dice pool to use in the case of unusual actions, and it's just not efficient to wait until you can catch me in chat or send me a PM or whatever to find out. You also frequently find yourself in the awkward position of knowing that you rolled some successes on your character's attack roll, and wanting to describe his/her action in some really bad-ass way, but because you don't know if the NPC you just attacked will or won't succeed in their defense you can't even say for sure that your character will even hit his/her opponent, let alone if he/she will look like a bad-ass while they're at it.

Because of this, I frequently see players in PbP games either take the most conservative route in declaring their actions, or they end up effectively dictating to the ST what modifiers are in effect (usually none or only beneficial ones), what unusual dice pools they should be using for their unusual action and so on. I see this sort of thing as a player in PbP games all the time and personally I find it to be awkward as hell. It's not that combats or other stressful, dice-requiring situations are always falling apart or anything, they're just never quite what they could have been, and it bugs me.

On the other hand, I know what everyone's dicepools are (PC and NPC) and I don't have to ask anyone about modifiers, difficulty penalties, unusual dice pools and so on. Likewise, we never run into situations where I say something like, "everyone make an Awareness roll", and for some reason (the stars are all in alignment or whatever) everybody fails the roll miserably - no botches, mind you, just no successes either - and I'm left trying to find a clever way to say, "Oh... um, nevermind. As you were", and meanwhile all you guys now know that there's something out there for your characters to notice and now half the surprise is ruined.

So you guys will declare your intended actions, I will roll any and all appropriate dice and handle outcomes and, as a side-effect, you guys won't really have any better of an idea what each other's dice pools are than you do the NPCs'. Even though dice-rolling will be happening behind the scenes, on the front end it will be almost entirely narrative.

That does sound interesting. A related question I have involves the use of Dramatic Editing. When it would be used, we'd have to get it approved, and classified for the effect. (Minor onscreen, off screen, etc.)

Would we declare Dramatic Editing in the same manner as declaring intended actions?

Dramatic Editing works as it always has. You declare your intentions and I declare its category and final costs. However, while the Adventure! book presents Dramatic Editing as something of a free form RP-tool, it nonetheless does a very good job of describing what Dramatic Editing does, when and how to use it, and what qualifies as a Minor Offscreen Effect versus an Obvious Continuity Violation. You really shouldn't have too much trouble determining your proposed Editing effect's cost and it likewise shouldn't be too difficult to determine what is an appropriate use of Dramatic Editing and what isn't.

Regardless, I am not aware of any aspect of Dramatic Editing that directly involves dice pools - Dramatic Editing affects things in the environment or modifies the outcome of events positively or negatively - so yes, since there are no dice for you to roll when using Dramatic Editing, you would just declare your intentions.

Okay, made my decision on a character. I'll probably be making her up on my days off this week. I'm going for a forensic anthropologist daredevil. Sort of what one might imagine Brennan and Booth's child to end up like (assuming one watches Bones and gets the reference).

Alright, quick role call: who's still interested in playing in this game but hasn't submitted a character to me yet?

The post above this one lets me know that Kylie_OOC is, but I have heard nary a word from Katalyst or Zarthrax for a good long time, both of whom indicated they wanted to play some time ago. You guys still interested?

Let me know! smile

Hey Max, it occurs to me that I put up that post asking for confirmation from Kata and Zarthrax three days ago. Obviously, Kata's responded, but Zarthrax has not.

I don't like to potentially lose a player, but you're here asking to play, and he's not. So, if you want to send me in a character concept, I'd be happy to review it and welcome you to the Argonauts! smile

Strangely (given that players can be Psiads in this game), the team currently has no telepath. Also (and again, strangely), I have not received any shape-shifting characters either.

I'm sure there are other concepts that would be useful, but those are two that come to mind rather quickly.

We really don't need any more scientists, really (as nearly half of the eleven submissions I've received so far are world-class scientists and/or doctors and/or engineers). That's not to say you can't have that as part of your PC's background, but honestly, I think you'd just end up lost in the crowd at this point if you went that route. Also, while Investigation is certainly an extremely useful skill to have in this game, I've already received submissions for three different characters who are all extremely good at this already, so there's no need to specialize in this area.

Anyway, feel free to talk with some of the other players if you want to coordinate more effectively. I'll take anything, so long as the underlying character is good. smile

Another character that we don't have (and that I didn't think about late last night when I put up that last post) is that of the 'expert on ancient civilizations and dead languages'. Sort of the Daniel Jackson of a group. We don't have anyone quite like that at this point, and such an individual would come very much in handy on some missions.

I sit down to watch television perhaps once or twice a week at most. Maybe one of those times out of every five, I find something that I actually want to watch. Probably one out of every three of those times, it's a movie that I've found, not a television show. Probably eighty percent of the times that I find myself watching a television show, it's because there just happened to be a House, Burn Notice, or NCIS marathon on (they seem to have a lot of those).

As you can see, I only watch television shows perhaps twice a month, at most. So it's not really that I'm not a fan of Bones, it's more that I'm not really a fan of television in general. In fact, the only reason I have it at all is because it was a part of the best package deal that my local cable internet company had to offer.

Real quick everyone...

I put up Jaunt's profile for the benefit of having a fleshed out PC for everyone to enjoy. Not just me. The more we know, the more RP opportunities we have or can build from.

Jaunt does have a Cipher of 5, his past was erased at that file is a Prometheus one that Ante and the rest of you can use to better understand OOC why Jaunt is the way he is. Please try hard not to use the information in that profile unless your PC has a valid reason for knowing it, like a high Clearance or Jaunt has told you.

For the sake of simplicity I assume you guys know Jaunt's powers, he teleports and is very hard to sneak up on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm back(ish).

Just got done with a three hour flight, followed by an eighteen hour flight, followed by a two hour flight, with about five hours of layover scattered in between, and only about two hours combined sleep throughout the entire thing. So I'm basically a walking a zombie right now.

The trip was awesome, though, and I hope to be back in action in the next few days. smile

Bah! You can sleep when yer dead, bitch! Walk it off and git yer ass behind the keyboard and git this ball rollin'! smile

In all seriousness though, glad you had a good time and you know where to find us when you're all rested up.

Welcome back, Cent!

And, um.. whoops. Guess a description of what a Forensic Anthropologist is might have been helpful. :red: My bad. Anyway, I did send the character to you while you were gone, so hopefully I can get that approved and posted once you're back among the land of the living!

Looking forward to the game!

• Matt unpinned this topic

Archived