Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Infinite Earth OOC: General Discussion

Mr Fox

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay... someone said a few things in chat that were, in my opinion more pointed than they needed to be.

I'm sorry for the outburst... but I am frustrated by the Gadgets conversation.

I'd like someone to take some charge in regards to setting up some formal structure when disputes or important matters come up.

• 3 weeks later...

I've done some cleaning up in IE in general to make it easier to find Rules and Setting info. Hopefully this makes it more accessible for those interested in joining IE overall, or CN specifically.

Drop me a PM if you have suggestions on other improvements or for rules updates in the IE setting info and rules thread.

• 2 weeks later...

For the most part yes. We'll have to review them on a case by case basis. Just keep in mind that any story thread within IE can conceivably create individual rules that apply to that setting the same way CN has done, so my goal is to keep things as flexible as possible.

I don't see the new gadget rules being a problem for IE. We can consider those to be in effect.

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally got my IE character complete. She has been posted in the characters pile.

As a note, she is a IE character not a CN character.

Also since she was literally born yesterday in relative terms, she is with relatively little profile background (since most of it happens in Episode 6 and 7 of my IE adventures on the Hikari Maru).

Hopefully as time progresses I can get more in as she has more time "out there..."

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Actually, the story of the Hikari Maru is the current story going on. What I was thinking as after the Thanksgiving Holiday I could start filling you in, or perhaps the Sunday-Monday period. I can't give guarantees because in a week or so of time I will be doing things in regards to getting employment so I might be somewhat slow on the uptake.

Okay. In that case I hope to at least give you some more solid information on my character once you have the chance to do the telling of the general backstory of the cosmos. I have an general backstory. for my character. But there are a thing or two I am still worry about and trying to figure out and work on with it.

Well, the stories that tie-in to the Hikari Maru is that my character (The Librarian), Daniel, and whoever else is there travel from universe to universe and experience what is there to offer, sometimes those on board run the story and sometimes I do.

Really to build a character for the Hikari Maru crew is to go EVERYWHERE.

Speaking of Dr. Who and Star Trek, I was at the comic book store at lunch today and saw something disturbing... a Dr. Who and Star Trek the Next Generation crossover comic... borg and cybermen were involved. I really love the idea of crossovers, but flipping through it, it just felt bazaar to me. The words that come to mind are 'cognitive dissonance'.

http://media.ideaand...Trek-01cvrA.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been thinking about the current state of affairs of the IE multiverse, and something is sticking in my mind.

There are currently only two people active in IE. Seeing the power level that it has reached over the past couple of years, I've realized one of the main problems with the setting in general.

Power Level.

Cosmos Nova was a good attempt in power control, although some power creep did happen it was generally contained by the consensus.

But I think for IE to be an attractive setting I am willing to do something drastic to begin again and make Infinite Earth a setting about telling fun stories and exploring strange universes (or have adventures in universes without making a jump).

So here is what I propose.

1: Completely reset the IE multiverse. Start from scratch.

2: Have all characters no matter the universe to be built with default starting points/costs.

3: Remove gadgetry as it exists here now and replace it with what is used in Adventure.

4: Allow trans-universal travel through more methods than the Stonehenge Gate. Perhaps there are other gates?

I am willing to work on a fully fleshed out proposal in the coming weeks if this seems a good way to begin again, and perhaps make things more interesting for players wanting a more lower-powered game.

This will not effect CN, it will operate as it does without molestation as it is a sattelite game.

I am willing to put some time and thought into this, but I won't if not enough people sign on to a reboot of IE.

Well, at the time IE was established, there were no other high levels games at all that would allow characters to hit the higher level powers. I still think that is something that IE brings to the table and that it is still pretty uncommon around here. I would hate to see that aspect of the setting removed.

That said, I specifically made this setting such that it can accommodate nearly any idea, so if you want to do a reboot you are welcome to it, but as far as I'm concerned the universes that were already created would still exist for those who care to use them. I would rather include new ideas than exclude old ones. Carve out a whole new set of universes that work under a different rule set the way CN does, that way you can have all the fun of a reboot without wiping out what has gone before.

I think I hinted that there were other mysteries and potentially other gateways to be found, or perhaps something different. There are after all lots of other ancient wonders still around like the pyramids and who knows where secret chambers in them might lead. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I've been thinking about the current state of affairs of the IE multiverse, and something is sticking in my mind.

There are currently only two people active in IE. Seeing the power level that it has reached over the past couple of years, I've realized one of the main problems with the setting in general.

Power Level.

Cosmos Nova was a good attempt in power control, although some power creep did happen it was generally contained by the consensus.

But I think for IE to be an attractive setting I am willing to do something drastic to begin again and make Infinite Earth a setting about telling fun stories and exploring strange universes (or have adventures in universes without making a jump).

So here is what I propose.

1: Completely reset the IE multiverse. Start from scratch.

2: Have all characters no matter the universe to be built with default starting points/costs.

3: Remove gadgetry as it exists here now and replace it with what is used in Adventure.

4: Allow trans-universal travel through more methods than the Stonehenge Gate. Perhaps there are other gates?

I am willing to work on a fully fleshed out proposal in the coming weeks if this seems a good way to begin again, and perhaps make things more interesting for players wanting a more lower-powered game.

This will not effect CN, it will operate as it does without molestation as it is a sattelite game.

I am willing to put some time and thought into this, but I won't if not enough people sign on to a reboot of IE.

I miss playing Aberrant. Please keep me in the loop if/when this gets off the ground. :)

I am shuttering The Traveler and the stuff I was doing with IE with that character.

I can't come up with anything to continue, and I was sort of hoping some others would have jumped in so that I could go somewhere. That's seeming to have changed.

So, For now at least core IE is down to one player.

I may re-start with things later. With a new chracter. I just need to pare down where the most creative energy will be needed.

Archived