Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Infinite Earth OOC: General Discussion

Mr Fox

I am in agreement. The Professor and Mech are in a class all their own as well as any characters that are active with other universes or have been made.

I would suggest if anyone wants to play on "Cosmos Nova (New Universe)" Should be built with these guidelines.

I also suggest no backgrounds over 5 at character creation, and the concept of "In Theme" and "Out of Theme" powers and mega attributes and enhancements for First Generation novas (Second Generation novas should be right out for this universe for now). Aberrant is a world of theme for each of the dramatic personae involved. I like Krul's mechanic of the theme system in this regard and would like to see it employed.

Finally, Gadgets should be limited to 5 and a player can only EVER get one gadget at 6, and that is it.

Oh... post script.

Anyone built in IE should be based on a character that is inactive, or is completely original. This should prevent or greatly lessen trouble causing game deflation as players jump at a new shiny.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The limits seem good ... so long as they stay a feature of the game. No eventual end runs around it, etc.

Given its those same limits that are going to give this portion of the game its feel.

I would be in for playing some sort of time space master maybe, or perhaps an actual Nova inventor ... and since this is IE I am guessing that there are an infinite number of these 'limited' realities?

All of this is agreeable to me. So to sum up:

Cosmos Nova (the setting we are contemplating right now):

• Q6 limit for the duration of the setting/story
  • No Mastery at start
  • No Q Supremacy ever
  • Must stick to a power Theme
  • Only original/ or inactive characters allowed (no active copies from other games or versions from other IE universes)
  • No backgrounds over 5 at creation
  • No gadgets over 5 at creation (only 1 background over 5 ever)
  • Aberrant compendium not allowed (mega att books o.k.) Any irregular power from another sources needs approval
  • Free enhancement with every odd Mega Att dot

Any other limits or suggestions?

NOTE:

These rules apply only to the Cosmos Nova universe and not to the IE multiverse as a whole. Keep in mind that any story/setting within the IE multiverse can have whatever rules the players want. If you want a world where no one gets over Q1 that's fine, it's entirely up to the group involved.

free enhancement at ever Odd dot of a mega attribute Fox

As far as the theme vs. non-theme things go, I'm good on that provided it's the same rules from IE.

Considering the characters...

I have been considering using the original 2010 game version of Mech (1st generation young nova actor) as a PC for this game. In part this relates to my enjoyment of the character, in addition to him being well suited to be a Face type character.

Though the powerset is similar to John's, it isn't identical, nor is this character anyway connected to the other version.

In part this is me wanting to cut down on the number of logins I'd be using.

I'm fine with out of theme powers. I agree they ought to be harder to acquire... perhaps a requirement ought to be that it is explained in the story how/why it was acquired. I also wouldn't be opposed to them costing more xp to purchase and improve, maybe they cost the same as a power one level higher?

well in theory theme powers and mega atts are cheaper to buy both with NP and XP

out of theme cost more.

To borrow Krul's table....

In Theme

Trait Increase Cost

Mega-Attribute CR x3

Quantum Power (Level 1) current rating x 2

Quantum Power (Level 2) current rating x 3

Quantum Power (Level 3) current rating x 5

Quantum Power (Level 4) current rating x 7

Quantum Power (Level 5) current rating x 9

Quantum Power (Level 6) current rating x 12

New Trait Cost

Background 1 [Attunment and Node Only]

Body Modifications (1/2 cost)

Enhancement 3

Mega-Attribute 3

Quantum Power (Level 1) 2

Quantum Power (Level 2) 3

Quantum Power (Level 3) 5

Quantum Power (Level 4) 7

Quantum Power (Level 5) 9

Quantum Power (Level 6) 12

Out of Theme

Attribute current rating x 4

Ability current rating x 2

Background current rating x 2

Mega-Attribute current rating x 5

Quantum Power (Level 1) current rating x 3

Quantum Power (Level 2) current rating x 5

Quantum Power (Level 3) current rating x 7

Quantum Power (Level 4) current rating x 9

Quantum Power (Level 5) current rating x 12

Quantum Power (Level 6) current rating x 15

Willpower current rating

Initiative current rating

New Trait Cost

Ability 3

Specialty (max. 3 per Ability) 1

Body Modifications (Normal)

Background 2

Enhancement 5

Mega-Attribute 6

Quantum Power (Level 1) 3

Quantum Power (Level 2) 6

Quantum Power (Level 3) 9

Quantum Power (Level 4) 12

Quantum Power (Level 5) 15

Quantum Power (Level 6) 18

• 3 weeks later...

Due to a change in my gaming habits here on the site, I am going to make Cosmos Nova and IE in general my primary focus.

I like the potential CN has, and I think I've been doing well in IE in general.

I'm going to start getting more done, adding to CN ideas already in the pipe.

1: I am going to figure out over the week just what sort of tech is available. I know 95% of the tech is going to be plausible SOL(Standard of Living) improvements, off the shelf improvements, with the 5% being projects that had been stuck in R&D until the funding for such projects came flooding in when a Nova took over.

2: I am considering making an alt in CN for Japan. I have written an extensive amount, and to let it languish is a bit anathema to me. I think us American nova players should consider making one international Alt.

3: IE in general is also going to get some love. You'll see in the coming months.

• 2 weeks later...

=================TOP secret data ========================================================

Material science:

Thermoelectric power conversion

As a result of T.C.R.I team of brilliant research in fields of superconductors electrical power can now be generated directly from heat energy, bypassing the bulky and inefficient steam turbine systems in reactors.

Straight from Japan

Fukushima medical CO.( trademark T.C.R.I)

Synthetic gland implants

Fertiline: this gland causes the body to produce reproductive cells this eliminating baseline sterility

Side effect: a woman has lusty flaw one month out of the year. Also conventional birth control only have 1/3 efficiency even surgery will be corrected in 2 years. Test shows women can remain fertily into ther 70’s

Narcodine: improves the quality of sleep in the recipient and removes restlessness, insomnia and even narcolepsy

Note: this is perfect for active people as they need only 4 to 5 hours of sleep a day. Plus soldiers can get good night sleep in worst conditions.

Cibidesiderium: These glands increase the recipient’s metabolism and the way the body burns fat. This allows the recipient to maintain healthier body fat despite what they eat.

Cholesterine: this gland reduces cholesterol levels in patients reducing risk of heart attacks and strokes by 90%. Also it removes diabetes type 1

Longoramine : the gland increase the lifespan of the recipient to approximately 150 yrs ( resource 5)

=================TOP secret data ========================================================

Thank you Mr FOX

i will try not to get people two mad at me with all my stupid question.

i am a old fasion rpg player 10-15 at a table 1-2 times a week with 3-4 people 3-4 times a week for 2-3 hrs

so im a new to posting pls let me know were to post thing if i get it wrong.

No problem. As far as the writing goes, try to copy what you see from others in terms of style. Be careful not to make other peoples characters think, feel, or react to what you character does in ways that their writer's wouldn't approve of.

nova -

Let me start by saying welcome to the site. We try not to get annoyed with honestly asked questions, and usually if the answer can't be found in the CN source material (which I gently urge you to read top to bottom), someone will answer you.

Now the hard part: your posts.

First up is Supreme's chosen theme: "Master of Quantum forces" From the looks of it, you took that as a basic catch-all theme in an attempt to claim everything quantum-based as 'in-theme'.

Secondly, with no build-point / nova-point breakdown I can't tell what's been bought in-theme or out. You haven't tagged or indicated anything as in-theme on the sheet, which backs up my first concern.

Thirdly is the background: It makes little to no sense. A twenty-year veteran of the submarine service? With English so bad he couldn't teach it to Japanese students? And "fat, lazy, accident prone, got sick all the time, even girls stay away from him" doesn't sound like many ex-servicemen I've ever met, least of all ones who made it the full 20 years. He's a corporate whiz who used his mega-brain to weave a web so intricate that no-one knows he's sitting at the heart of it, but he has a Biz of 1, a Bureaucracy of 1, and no mega-mental enhancements that explain how he was able to do all this. No Strategic Prodigy, no Financial Prodigy, nothing of the sort. He's an engineering and medical wizard.

Fourthly: Despite apparently owning half of Middle America and a multinational, he has Resources 1, no Backing, no Influence, Eufiber 1 (which he has no explanation for taking - see the CN rules), a lot of Enhancements that seem to be from the Compendium, which is also a no-no in Cosmos Nova unless previously cleared... The list goes on. Cipher 1, and you expect no-one can untangle who's behind TCRI? "Most reporters can't find him at all as he deleted his records..." Not with Cipher 1, buddy. A detective at a major city PD could find something on you with a few hours digging.

Fifthly: Merits and Flaws: Eufiber is not native to the CN setting, and not allowed to PCs except under clearance, so Eufiber Attuned is a wasted Merit. His Obsession needs some expounding upon: you need to make clear what 'mastering his nature' means to you as the player. The intolerance? Well, alright. But that means you'll snub and be hostile to someone who's an ordinary churchgoer - not a Bible-thumper or a fundamentalist, just a normal guy or girl who goes to church once a week and maybe collects for a charity. Might want to rethink that if you don't want Supreme to come across as a collossal douche.

Finally, your fiction posts. Quite apart from the fact that your character is a long way from showroom-ready, your posts need heavy editing to make them readable. I'm being brutally honest here - nothing makes people want to click away from the page more than a wall of text with little-to-no punctuation.

The professor woke up he had a crazy dream that someone tried to kill him. He look around the first thing he relies he was sober. He found himself with new cloths and looked about 5 years younger. Next to him was the most beautiful girl he seen into he relies it was a man. The man was smiled he found himself blushing in response. He look at the man the men turned his gaze upon him then down at the table there was old notes of the time he was the darling of the medical world. “Professor good of you to come I need you expertise here is a contract non discloser form I will pay you 400 a week plus room and board. Don’t worry I cure your cancer and fixed your liver as long as you work for me I will return your health to you.” BOWAN tried to think his cancer not possible it was Stage 3 liver he was a dead man. “400 a week “he started to say. Supreme cut him off.” Professor you seem to be under a misperception I don’t need you I need your name, you can stay here and drink yourself into death I will heal you to extend your use. If you want more money you will earn it. You can work for anyone you please but can’t say what I hired you for. Or if you have concept you can send them to me and if they are useful all the credit is yours also various project will have your name on them I will give you the basic rundown you will attend the meeting with your collegiates. The credit is yours “BOWAN agreed. Supreme gave him a Wrist comp” this will connect you with central computer of my company. Supreme smiled that was the last one now official he company employed nearly 1 thousand people. He then made sure all profits went into the company even if he only had 100 dollars cash; he found various people let him use their homes, cars, planes. Just by asking them as he was a CEO after all.

That isn't readable, nova. Try this very, very rough edit (spelling isn't corrected):

The professor woke up he had a crazy dream that someone tried to kill him. He look around the first thing he relies he was sober. He found himself with new cloths and looked about 5 years younger. Next to him was the most beautiful girl he seen into he relies it was a man. The man was smiled he found himself blushing in response. He look at the man the men turned his gaze upon him then down at the table there was old notes of the time he was the darling of the medical world.

“Professor good of you to come I need you expertise here is a contract non discloser form I will pay you 400 a week plus room and board. Don’t worry I cure your cancer and fixed your liver as long as you work for me I will return your health to you.” BOWAN tried to think his cancer not possible it was Stage 3 liver he was a dead man.

“400 a week “he started to say. Supreme cut him off.

”Professor you seem to be under a misperception I don’t need you I need your name, you can stay here and drink yourself into death I will heal you to extend your use. If you want more money you will earn it. You can work for anyone you please but can’t say what I hired you for. Or if you have concept you can send them to me and if they are useful all the credit is yours also various project will have your name on them I will give you the basic rundown you will attend the meeting with your collegiates. The credit is yours“

BOWAN agreed. Supreme gave him a Wrist comp.

”this will connect you with central computer of my company." Supreme smiled that was the last one now official he company employed nearly 1 thousand people. He then made sure all profits went into the company even if he only had 100 dollars cash; he found various people let him use their homes, cars, planes. Just by asking them as he was a CEO after all.

Basic rule: when someone speaks, start a new paragraph. That paragraph continues until someone else speaks, or until something happens that breaks up the speaking, like BOWAN agreeing. Or flying monkeys attacking. Or Supreme farting mightily and blowing out the windows. :D Like all rules, this can be bent, but not carelessly.

THANK YOU I reread the design and relies I made a mess of my character

I redesign him so please read him again( i broken it down ) and let me know what you think of him.

My paper notes I wrote on him was diffecnt then what got type.

Thank you again it is great to meet you please assist me if you see more mistakes

It nice to have someone point out the trouble area so I can work on him.

I deleted my story as they are not ready as you kindly point out to me.

Plus i read your correction it sounded like a preschooler wrote that.

I am ashamed to have written that trash it sounded good in my head and notes but from there to computer it got twisted. It was only after reading it again I saw my proplem.

i hope i clairfy some stuff for you again let me know what you think.

MR FOX has been a great help to me so has Coyoto

Thank you MR FOX before i use other characters i will PM so they can make sure its ok.

plus i need to work on my format as Telluris said i have a lot of work to do. you all been great help as i work from home so i need to wright better for my work.

Like i said pls let me know if it becames two painful to read i will try not to repeat the same mistakes.

one final question is xp givin begaining of the month or the end i have seen it stated for the biging sinch i am new im not sure how to go about this.(I think for me it should be at the end as i have alot to learn about posting good stories for people to read)

Miss Coyote-Mad Scientist has allowed is to join her she is my first post with others i will follow their format so i can improve my skill.

1st day of the Month following the character joining the game. So if you create a character and join today, you would get xp at the beginning of next month.

Telluris put it really well. It is really hard to read posts with bad formatting and grammar. We definitely appreciate that you are trying and as long as you continue to try and improve we'll work with you and help out with suggestions. As a former English teacher it is particularly painful for me to read, but at the same time, seeing someone progressing and making improvements in their writing is very satisfying. Please, also realize that none of us started out great writers, nor do we consider ourselves perfect by any means. I know that my own writing still has a long way to go, but I take comfort in the fact that I have definitely improved since I started on this site.

Usually we disagree from time to time, but in regards to Gadgets, I want to give a hearty Thank You to everyone that has contributed so far to this. Everyone has been excellent and our debate not only civil, but we're doing the one thing that this format was built for. Collaboration! So everyone... thank you.

nova - I reviewed your changes, and we still have some problems here.

Going from the top down:

Theme: Master of Quantum forces.( basic quantum powers)

You're still doing this? It's not in the intended spirit of the character theme rules, and Supreme's power set seems to be a grab-bag of all mega-attributes and some Lvl 3 quantum powers with no directing theme at all.

Referring to my last post, you still haven't marked which of your powers and attributes are in-theme.

Skills and backgrounds: These are better now, and more suited to the character as you've described him.

Quantum 6: The highest starting quantum in Cosmos Nova is 5. This is one of the things that separates CN from the over-verse of IE. On the upside, you get Q5 to start and for free, without getting Taint for it either.

Enhancements: True Intent - I don't recognise that one. Is it Compendium? Anyone?

Other than these things: it looks fine. Background history is tighter and makes more sense. Good job. :)

1. Theme; it is is the Strong-weak force,gravity, etc as stated in Core books. am i miss reading it.

if you think of a better one please let me know.

2. i marked which one was theme in break down. theme(mega sta,int,chr, app .Temporal man,molecular man, healing)

3. i change the Quantum back to 5 sorry i miss read Mr. FOX he said Q6 limited for entire story not at character generation.

4. You were right i thought it was in a breed apart but it located in Compendium after all thank you for pointing it out to me.

leaving My theme alone untill i find a better one or someone points out a better one to me.

Thank you for your feedback.

I think what Telluris is saying is that your theme is too broad, it includes too much. Take Jedi for instance, Jedi/Sith related powers from the movies is his theme. In other words anything that the Star Wars books or movies use as powers for Force Users is considered in Theme for my character. Anything outside of that is harder for him to learn because it's not part of what his Subconscious is telling him is possible.

For example, Nate has Molecular Manipulation at 1 dot. That's not something that Jedi/Sith can do in the books so Jedi was able to learn it but it was much harder for him to do. Telekinesis on the other hand is very much a 'jedi' power so he had no problem learning it.

Mala is doing Elves as a theme, it's what her character's subconscious was fixated on during her eruption, so anything that would mimic Elf like abilities and powers are easy for her to learn, things that don't relate to that idea are harder. Cyberkinesis for example would be totally out of theme since computers and elves have nothing to do with each other.

Kei's theme is anime/airplane fighter related so flight, armor, quantum bolt all make perfect sense for her character, but healing wouldn't.

So, for your theme you really need to pick something more specific.

I do want to say you are doing great so far, updating and trying as we point things out, and that's appreciated.

I do want to say you are doing great so far, updating and trying as we point things out, and that's appreciated.

I would like to second this. I've thinking of submitting a PC for play in CN as well, so I've been following this thread. I have to say that I've been enormously impressed with your receptive and positive attitude to the constructive criticism you've received so far, Novakowski. Thank you for being such a good sport about all of this. :)

For example, Nate has Molecular Manipulation at 1 dot. That's not something that Jedi/Sith can do in the books so Jedi was able to learn it but it was much harder for him to do. Telekinesis on the other hand is very much a 'jedi' power so he had no problem learning it.

Sith Alchemy! :D Nate should get a point of Temp Taint every time he uses it!

It is no problem i have been gaming since i was 12 yrs old. I am just not use to this format.

so i read the threads but miss thing here and there so correction is always welcome.

I fixed the sheet and tks again i adjusted the theme to Strong weak force

I brought out my old books on physics this is better I think as temporal and molecular fits in to the theme

Mr Fox Jedi Molecular manipulation fits in with Sith Alchemy as they created Physical blades that could parry light sabers.

Woohoo, it's in theme then! lol

Seriously though, I think Strong-Weak force is still a bit broad, that's kind of just another way of saying all nova powers are in theme since they are all based off manipulating those forces. Try to think in more concrete terms. Pick your most important powers and then see if something fits them?

So from reading your background it sounds like the big things about the character are that he had serious self-esteem issues and that when he erupted he did so in a way that made him over come his perceived flaws. So you could go with a theme like "Perfection of the human form" that would allow you to have all mega atts in theme and certain powers would make sense if they were overcoming his previous flaws. But in order to do that you would have to specify what those flaws where and explain how the powers correct the flaws. I give this as a suggestion because I've used that as a theme for a character before, but it was used mostly to justify her mega atts, not so much her powers. On the other hand, that game didn't offer a NP cost break for buying in-theme powers, so I'm not sure I could justify it as a theme in this game and have it cover many powers. Some powers under that theme might make sense like shapeshift since it allows the character to constantly adjust their body to be perfect for the situation at hand, but I can't think of many other powers that would be in-theme for it.

I'm not saying you have to take that theme, just making an example based on stuff I read in your character's background. Try taking the "idea" of your character and boiling it down to one word or a phrase. To me reading the background it sounds like the character had low self image and their eruption is compensating for that.

Thank you That was a orginal concept i had but i thought it was too broad so i wil adjust the character again.

I fixed the sheet again lol.

thank you for your advice

this is in more with what i envision

while Supreme will develp other powers as he push him self but they would remain out of theme.

Archived