Aberrant: Infinite Earth - Infinite Earth OOC: General Discussion

Mr Fox

Yep, what Heather said. Everyone is welcome in IE, it's still an open world, but to join in someone else's story, you need their permission. I've thought about joining their story myself, but I don't want to crowd them, and I'd have to make a new character since Elspeth wouldn't fit in.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on the individual story being told on whether it fits. I know that some of the people in my fic have taken it, others haven't. I've got a great big pile of xp saved up because I have no in character reason to spend it, so style comes into the matter a lot. This setting has fewer actual rules, relying instead on player cooperation and intercharacter consideration to determine what is allowable.

Yep, Wyrd said it pretty well. I intentionally set this up to be the game where people could reach for the big world shattering powers in order to be able to tell stories not possible elsewhere. On the other hand, that means that if you want to play with others, you have to work hard not to step on each other, since anyone could have powers that would totally break a story. So far it's been working really well.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let everyone know I will be scarce until next Thursday. So... Here's the deal.

ESS Team: Feel free to interact, Sarah's going to get one more post in a second, but pretty much she'll be busy with the healing Professor and the data she's getting on our new friend Silvertalon.

Next week, if no one objects we'll FF to Episode 2 (Name to be determined... if anyone has an idea, and I like it, maybe you get to pick where we go next!)

Okay.

One word of reminding... While I am myself not adverse to having people jump into a story (hell makes things easier for new players). Please... ask the participants first?

I know we talked before about joining and all... just... at the very least make sure you're on our playbook and stuff?

SilverTalon asked me before joining, and ran things by with everyone before jumping in. I would ask no less of anyone else.

I have no problem with who just joined, just a note for others thinking the same thing.

It's just simple manners.

That is all.

• 2 weeks later...

I said the same thing in his posted character thread--that if it hadn't been for the number of glowing reviews of his abilities as a player and writer, I would have objected to his joining. I felt that even adding Silvertalon was beginning to push the maximum number of participants we can have without things getting clunky. I've been unable to post for a while, for example, because no real time is passing and I have my character dedicated to a time intensive task while the story is locked on a conversation happening outside of the ship.

Regarding your recent post, Adrian, did you really just hand out business cards made of volcanic glass, do they just look like glass, or by obsidian did you merely mean very dark in color?

I am fully expecting a splitting of the group at some point. I'm not expecting a permanent crew. You are free to come and go as you like.

The Stonehenge Gate (the original way to travel) is a fully valid way to go.

Something we probably have to discuss after we wrap this up. I want to avoid the too many cooks syndrome as much as anyone else.

Also for your efforts, I do plan on figuring out a way where everyone gets some sort of "gift", a way to at the very least stay in contact. The Professor's sorta... gorwn to like you guys. Well, she's not seen the other newcomers yet but I'm sure she'll take a shine to you as well.

Hello everyone, thinking of making a Nova for this very awesome setting. I don't have a concept yet - I was thinking I would tackle it from the other way around and ask: are there are any stories that could use another player?

I am looking through the threads now, but getting the skinny from all of you would be really great.

Cheers,

Chris

You are welcome to create a character. The most active thread is the Brittiania one, but I believe they may have reached maximum density on characters for the moment. I'm not sure how active the other threads in this setting are or if they would welcome more players. I'll leave it to them to respond. Even if they aren't you can feel free to write solo if you have a story to tell and this setting works for your to tell it in.

Plus it never hurts to PM a specific author if you see a story you would like to be part of.

Yeah, guys. Hate to do it, but I'm bowing Irma out. Aparently we aren't quite playing in the timey-wimey spacey-wacey garden I thought we were and given that the one story I wanted to tell with Irma through all the monster of the fic plots depends on timey-wimey spacey-wacey, I'm done and off hunting for a new fourth game. Feel free to have someone check in on Irma next chapter and find her room empty save for the com unit and a 'gone collecting' note. Happy gaming, though.

ok.

Setting my foot down.

After this, I'm limiting the max number of PCs travelling with me to 4. That's it.

After being fast and loose with my concept I think it's time to start tightening things. I'm hearing alot of complaints about the too-many-cooks syndrome setting in, and I'm seeing it myself. Time for something drastic.

Also, I'm sorry that my story isn't completely to the paradigm. This is Aberrant as much as anything else.

I would recommend those that wish to stay to think of where they would want to go, and to firmly have in their mind what they want their characters to do.

If not, find yourselves elsewhere on your own before coming back.

Not to sound like a dictator, but I have spoken.

I have clear ideas of some things I want to do with the group. On the other hand, I have cross-time travel as well, so could travel with Irma if she wants others joining her in her trips. Playing with Irma's mind by winding up in worlds where Thetis is a good guy or where there is no utopia or Terragen at all could be fun. I'd want at least a third player for that, though.

So far combats have been extremely short and meant more for the purpose of plot diversion or plot point, such as why Long would readily leave his world(the OOC reason being that he wasn't feeling up to being ST, and he kind of had to be while we were in his world, just as the Professor got saddled with the job while we are in her world).

I know a story I'd like to tell for Mech, but not yet

It would be cheap and a cop-out to do it now.

The world hopping is fine, I prefer though that I not have to do Mech's as I'm saving that for later. Combat's fine, and Mech will continue to "recover" more and more of the power he had before the CTT mishap that started this journey for him.

Everyone please keep in mind that this setting is intentionally designed so that you guys can go off and do things on your own or with different groups of characters and still be able to meet up with others when you choose.

I'm just saying, no one needs to feel that they need to find a different game to play, there is room here for multiple groups doing different stuff.

I have a open door... And just as much, the original purpose of the concept is to allow people to come and go as they wish and please. But there is one distinct issue. That is the jumping in without the consent of the current participants. I believe though we (as in the current group) have come to a consensus regarding this issue and all that remains is how we can keep the honor system AND have some self-regulation in the process with mega-stories (which practically is what we're doing).

This is my first REAL shindig with such matters of creating a world. My world alone may take months to really see my plans to come to fruition. Enough time for many other stories told by others, and again, I provide the "vehicle" to bring a collaboration together.

Although some of the advice and comments I have seen here and told personally have told me we got the right course and heading. Hopefully I'm a good enough captain to stay the course.

By the way, everyone in Brittania, you are now on a posting clock. Get whatever you want said/done in before Tuesday when I return from my usual absence. Because that is when I fast foreward to the next day.

I think we can get some momentum back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Question 1: Are Hotstreak and Sonja still active here? I didn't see anything particularly recent, but I thought I would ask.

Question 2: Would it be possible to retire Zhu and start a new character? I was thinking of a 100 point version of my UA character Josh. I'm guessing that this question would only really be applicable if the answer to the first one was yes... though I might be willing to restart if someone would be willing to play with a paraplegic, teenaged master of motion in a wheel chair.

I think Stargaizer, that since Mutant High is restarting, You'll see even less of Sonja and Hotstreak in Infinite Earth.you play the character you want to play, I've no issue with you playing someone new

Keep in mind the main active group is the one consisting of Adrian, The Professor, Silvertalon, and myself (mech)

You are welcome to start a new character if you'd like. I don't think Mutant High conflicts with the Hotsreak and Sonja in IE since this pair are in an alternate universe, but I don't think they have any active stories going on in IE right now. Last I read seemed a bit like a wrap up to me.

Also, if you do want to make something new and Kamiko is interested in creating a character to run with you then I'd be willing to create a new character too.

Archived