Mutants & Masterminds: The Indigo Children - [First Phase: Alpha Segment] Test: N-01

jameson (ST)

Jordan clambered off Isaac's lap and knelt by her sister's side, holding her gently as she combed Jaime's soft brown hair off her face, her crystal blue eyes full of sympathy. Being the consummate - if not professional - actress, Jordan hide her own worry behind her currently deceptively young and cute face, putting on an appearance of confidence for the sake of her sister. Dealing with cover black ops agents wounded nearly to death was something she was hardly used to, either.

Jaime wiped her mouth with the back of her hand, then turned her head to look at her sister. "What's going to happen to him?"

Jordan helped Jaime to her feet as she focused on a in-depth mental image, then flexed, growing nearly a foot as she shifted to the form she had worn for the majority of the last nearly two years. Jaime felt a surge of calm and safety - she might have been a bit jealous of Jordan's perfect blend of dazzling gorgeousness and girl-next-door approachability, but she had always been there for her, to gossip with, confide in, and when mom got sick and then... For starting out as a brother, Jaime couldn't have wished for a better sister.

Jordan glanced at Tess and the men wheeling the MiB away on a gurney, urging her sister to follow. "I think he's going to get surprisingly good medical care in this private..." Jordan trailed off, turquoise eyes roving over the halls of the impressive demesne, as they entered an elevator and went down. Her full lips tightened. "...home. I suppose they'll ask him questions, who he works for and what was their goal at Times Square, then... I'm not sure. I'm hoping we'll be back home by then Jaime."

Jaime nodded, but her face was still pale, her eyes wide, unable to look away from the mangled man, as the elevator went down, and down, and down. In the enclosed space, the elevator dropping deeper than it should have in any private residence, the coppery smell of blood - she could almost taste it - made the whole night too real, it had gone way pass exciting. Jaime's face was looking decidely green when they finally exited the elevator as she was watching Tess hook the man up to sustaining fluids. Jordan was about to ask if the was someplace she could bring Jaime so she didn't have to see this when Tess directed them to the library.

"That's perfect, thanks Tess," Jordan said in her rich contralto. "Is there a bathroom near by, so we can wash up, some?"

"Just before the library on the right," Tess replied tersely, focused on her patient.

The sisters walked down the hall then took their turns in the bathroom. Jaime washed her face, clearing the residual traces of vomit from her mouth with several small cups of water. Jordan idly washed the bits of crusting blood from her knuckles and scrub what she could from her clothes as she studied herself in the mirror. Her proportions seemed to be precisely tailored to her specifications, her facial features the ones she spent years designing, her strength and grace and senses at their typical levels, yet she felt... unfinished, as if she still had some biological resources still unassigned. Odd...

Both girls paused as they entered the library, full of darkwood shelves and leather-bound books, among others. It probably wouldn't have been out of place in a cozy nook of the Library of Congress.

"Wow." How does Tess have a fucking Secret Lair? both women thought.

Jordan settled into a plush leather chair, crossing her legs as she pondered the events of tonight and what they might mean for them, and her and Jaime in particular. Jaime kept walking, trailing a finger along the spines of books as she read titles in an attempt to distract herself.

"I wonder where the Danger Room is," Jaime whispered. Jordan's keen ears caught her words, after tonight and what had happened, she couldn't bring herself to smile.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isaac retrieved his MiB - he'd caught it, it was his - and followed the parade down into the lair. Following Isaac was a train of dogs, cats and whatever other packmember had seen the return of the Alpha and felt inclined to follow him.

While Tess struggled to save the man's life, Isaac dropped the man onto the bed and secured him. His eyes followed Jaime as she left the room; he softly murmured, "Raucous, go watch her." The big dog woofed quietly and trotted after the two women. He'd know which 'her' Isaac meant - Jordan was extraneous as far as Raucous was concerned.

With Jaime taken care of, Isaac glanced at his prisoner. "Hi," Isaac said, his tone very unfriendly.

Tess

As she worked the depressing realization that this man's injuries were probably beyond her skill to repair began to gnaw at Tess' mind. His back was broken, multiple ribs were shattered, both lungs punctured, and a general, massive blunt force trauma to his chest had caused any number of contusions and ruptures. Even if she did manage to save him he's never walk, possibly never get off a respirator.

Still she tried, but it was a losing battle. Blood continued to leak out of him faster than she could replace it or close off holes. His pulse weakened and became thready. Despite draining his lungs and intubating the man his breathing began to become weak and ragged. Finally she could do no more, the damage was to severe, her compromised facilities were insufficient, and the man slipped past the veil.

Jordan

"Sis?" Jamie's voice brought Jordan out of her thoughts.

"Yeah?" Jordan glanced at the clock, surprised to see how much, or maybe how little, time had passed.

"What's going to happen now? Are those men going to keep coming after us?" Jamie had flopped onto a couch but was curled into a ball in one corner of it now, the extra length unused and empty. On the floor Raucous lay on his side looking asleep but clearly not as Jamie's continued slow petting occasionally encouraged him to move about happily.

"I don't know," Jordan's reply was numb, she didn't have any ability to know just what was happening. It had happened so fast, wrapped in so much chaos, steeped in confusion. What was the point of the events of the evening? Had there been a specific target? The fire clad man perhaps?

"OK," Jamie replied and left Jordan to her thoughts for a few minutes. After a little bit she broke the silence once more, "Jordan? Did you grab the clothes we bought?"

Isaac

Isaac and the man from the trunk had had an uneventful half hour. The man had refused to speak, so Isaac had hit him. He told Isaac that he wouldn't talk to freaks, so Isaac hit him again. Hard.

When the man finally came to Isaac's mood was shockingly the same. Foul. The man was likewise intractably silent. "I can keep this up longer than you," Isaac informed the man.

"Get bent freak," came the reply. Isaac growled, this was neither productive nor terribly fun. Mostly it was irritating.

OOC: Its been less than an hour, maybe 45-50 minutes since you all got back

Tess sighed and wiped the sweat from her face with her arm, flakes of drying blood settling on the cooling corpse beneath her and leaving a smear of still wet blood across her cheek. She logged the time of death with the computer, in a file under Doe, John MiB; after that she closed his eyes. He'd been her first actual patient; she'd done what she could for him and he had died. She'd deal with that later.

She crossed the room to where Issac and the living MiB were having their philosophical discussion. "Your teammate is dead," she stated with only a trace of compassion. For all she knew, these men didn't even like each other. "You are captured and unlikely to be rescued. Right now, all we're requiring of you is information about who and why Times Square was attacked this evening."

"We are freaks," she admitted without hesitation or any sense of shame. "However, we were not the ones attacked you. We were not the ones that acted so prematurely and dangerously that many more people than your teammate, innocent normal humans, were killed just so you could show off a fancy machine and bag yourself a freak. You are not a hero. You are not fighting for the good guys. More than likely, you're only fighting for bigotry or money."

She leaned over him, her eyes dark and her tone softly dangerous. "So understand, we have little reason to keep you healthy or happy. You attacked us for no reason other than that we're different from you. I tried to save your teammate's life. You're alive right now because we've agreed to keep you alive. Cooperating with us is a good way of ensuring that that consensus stays the same."

She leaned back, regarding him still. "I've little use for corpses, and my vocation is such that I do what I can to keep people healthy and alive. Speak, and you will be cared for. Cooperate and you will be well cared for. Cause us any more pain and anguish, and I assure you that you will beg for death before we're done with you. I will never make a pretense with you of being a perfect paragon of goodness or some misunderstood saint. I will be honest with you about your choices and their consequence; I will keep my word with you." She sighed and glanced over to the other occupied bed, "And if you will tell me your teammate's name, I will record his death properly; giving him that dignity is up to you."

"Do you understand?"

Jordan smiled wryly as she stood then moved over to join her sister on the couch, tucking her feet beneath her. Raucous raised his head to stare at her as if to say, 'What are you doing?', and Jordan glared back with blazing turquoise eyes, emphatic in their request that the dog mind its own business. Satisfied that his charge was in no danger from the older, strange smelling female, Raucous rolled over onto his back, begging for a tummy-rub.

With a sniff that was both amused and annoyed, Jordan joined Jaime in pandering to the dog as she leaned into her sister, giving her a tight, one-armed hug. "Sorry, Jaime, but I even hold onto my figure, let alone our bags," Jordan drolly replied.

The consciously designed, auburn-haired beauty broke the hug, giving Jaime a slightly teasing grin as she brushed some hair out of her sister's face with long, elegant fingers. "Guess you'll just have to bear another day of shopping with your older sister. Black-out and Men in Black aside, the day wasn't so onerous, was it, sis?" Jordan smile wilted at the edges, spicing her expression with weariness. "The laptop was left behind too. That might take more time to replace, I'm afraid. And I think next time we go shopping, it isn't going to be in Manhattan."

"I understand, sis, and it's okay. My other laptop still works anyways, it's just... y'know, crappy." Jaime sighed then grinned at Jordan with forced cheer. "Besides, I need a new iPhone too." But her fake merriment didn't last. "We can still go home, right?"

"Yes." Jordan's voice was hard, face tight with a fierce stubborness Jaime had only seen once before - after mom had died and a lawyer had suggested it might be better for both her and Jordan if Jaime was put into the Foster Care system. "These... men aren't going to chase us from our home, Jaime." Seeing the worried look in Jaime's blue eyes, Jordan smile, giving her shoulder a comforting squeeze. "Don't worry, I don't know what they wanted, but it wasn't us in particular - it couldn't be. Nobody but Pete knew about me."

The silence stretched until Jaime softly whispered, "What about dad? He knows."

What about dad? Jordan thought to herself. She hadn't thought about him in years, didn't want to reflect on the way she had disappointed him, nor how he had disappointed her. A grunt that was anything but feminine passed her perfect lips, her expression hardening. "If he shows up... we'll deal with it, like we've dealt with everything else, sis. Together."

Jaime considered herself old enough that showing open displays of gratitude was beneath her, but she couldn't help but feeling relieved hearing the unyielding confidence in Jordan's voice. She leaned against her sister, laying her cheek on her shoulder, not minding the arm that went around her waist. She could feel the protective strength hiding under Jordan's soft, silky skin as they sat together with their silent thoughts, until...

"So, I guess Tess - whoever she is - is like, stupid rich, huh?"

Isaac waited for the man's reply. As the MiB weighed his options, Isaac put his hands together and started popping his knuckles. When a man like Isaac did that, it was more than a little frightening. The small hawk perched on his shoulder and eying the prisoner maliciously didn't help the atmosphere of extreme hostility.

Jordan

"I'll say. How many people do we know that own an island? Or have their own infirmary, or, well," Jamie waved her hands around indicating the room, "I mean look at this place. It's like something out of one of those boring English murder mysteries!"

Jordan snickered, remembering how much Jamie used to make fun of Masterpiece Theater on PBS. "All I know is that she's like me," Jordan said.

"Yeah, obviously." Jamie looked this way and that and then in a hushed voice added, "Do you think we can trust her? Magneto was a mutant too and he was one of the bad guys too."

Tess & Isaac

The man tied to the table smirked at Isaac, apparently unimpressed by the other man's menacing behavior. "I understand. I also don't think you have what it takes. You want information? Go pound sand." He shook his head a little and Tess caught a derisive roll of his eyes and he lay his head back onto the table and seemed to settle into a more comfortable position as though he was planning for the long haul.

Click to reveal.. (MIB Resist Roll)

(13:39:07) ChatBot: (Jameson) rolls 1d20 and gets 16. + (hidden bonus) = higher than 19

"I see." Tess calmly walked back over to the surgery room and returned with a tray of bloodstained surgical tools. With the blood splashed all over her casual-but-expensive clothes and still streaked across her hands and face, she looked like the villain in some Hollywood horror movie. "This will hurt. These wounds themselves will not do you permanent harm, but I do want you to understand that we are serious."

She pulled up a stool with a small attached table area and laid the tray of surgical tools on it with deliberate care. She picked up the larger scalpel and began cutting away the man's armor and clothes. She began at the curve of the neck on the left side, cutting down the front of the shoulder and then down the man's side; once she'd reached the bottom of the vest, she switched sides and mirrored her first incision. When she pulled the blade free, it dripped several small drops of crimson onto the white bed sheet. As she pulled away the front of the vest and clothes two red lines in the man's skin were revealed, outlining his chest. The mirrored wounds were only deep enough to draw blood and pain, but their efficient and precise execution showed just how perfectly Tess was in control of the situation - and his life.

Her expression never changed from the cool, clinical detachment as she broke the Hippocratic Oath she hadn't even taken yet. "Do you understand now?"

Click to reveal..
Using Taunt, 1d20+8=22 She's so going to hurl when this is over......

Jordan sighed as she leaned back and stretched against the back of the couch, arms above her head, until vertebrae popped in delightful release. She played Jaime's question over and over in her mind, it was a real concern. It seems even in peripheral ways, the night I was shot is coming back to haunt me. Which is just what I need if these SWAT guys or whatever are targeting those of us on the Indigo Network.

She may have conveniently neglected to mention certain things to her sister, but she had never lied to Jaime - well, never nothing serious - and she wouldn't start now. Her relaxing stretch finished, Jordan leaned forward, bending over at the waist to scratch Raucous behind the ears. When she spoke, her voice was just as soft as Jaime's.

"I've seen Tess - Contessa - in the society pages, though I can hardly say how much of what's said is true, Jaime. But I'm sure there is one thing we can count on." Jordan gave Jaime a mischievous grin, the one she showed her when she used to sneak out on a particularly interesting date when she was younger. Despite herself, Jaime grinned back.

"She'll do what's in her best interest. We'll just have to convince her being a megalomaniacal world-conqueror isn't good business."

And maybe I'll be able to find out something about that night...

Tess & Isaac

The man's scream of pain started like that of a man and ended like the howl of a beast. Blood oozed from the wounds but Tess had managed the cuts expertly and at no point did they pass completely through the dermis. Painful? Yes. Life threatening? No. For Tess it was everything she could do to control herself. What she'd just done was betray the Hippocratic Oath. Do no harm, it said.

So much for that.

"Kill me then," the man spat from the table, "Get it over with." His pain was obvious, his face pallid and covered in a sheen of cold sweat.

Click to reveal..
(14:08:25) ChatBot: (Jameson) rolls 1d20 and gets 8. +X = < 22

Med Check (DC 15) to attain controlled incisions

(14:10:53) ChatBot: (Jameson) rolls 1d20 and gets 12. +9 = 21

Jordan

The scream came down the hall and into the Library like an intruder. Horrifying in sound and meaning it set both Jordan and Jamie's nerves on edge instantly. Raucous stood, his hackles up, a growl in his throat. "What was that?" Jamie asked, the fear plain as day on her face.

"It is not my intention to kill you. Quite the contrary, I would like the opportunity to keep you alive and well, but that depends on your cooperation. As I said, these wounds need only some Neosporin and Band-Aids to heel properly. The point was the pain and the understanding of who is in control." Her eyes were still the same blank dark, her voice even and controlled. "Your people attacked the citizens of New York, apparently acceptable collateral for attacking us. For the first offense I would simply turn you over to the mercy of the media and public courts."

She leaned back, the dripping scalpel still held tightly in her hand. "For the second offense, I did consider killing you. It is an option, however distasteful and unpleasant, that is still a possibility. But as I told you before, you have other options. You can choose to live. For now, I have other matters to attend to and you have healing you need to do."

She laid the scalpel on the tray and added another line to the IV. "You'll be asleep in a less than a minute. When you wake up, I suggest you think deeply on the direction you want your life to take over the next several days."

She waited several minutes after his breathing became deep and regular; then she carefully applied antibiotic cream and a light gauze bandage along the incisions. She swallowed hard and turned to Isaac, her struggle for control of herself acutely apparent to the animalistic Indigo. "We should...we should go check on Jordan and Jamie. He'll be out for at least ten hours with that drip."

Her keen hearing picking up the scream reverberating down the hall, Jordan flowed to her feet with a dancer's grace before Jaime even opened her mouth. Jordan stared at the door, head cocked slightly to the side as she listened intently to the sound, Raucous growling at her side. That's not Tess and doesn't have the right timbre to be Isaac. So, Rob or one of our... guests, unless more showed up.

Jordan glided towards the door, pausing at the threshold to glance over her shoulder at her sister, who stood behind the couch, a hand blindly searching for something she could throw, if needed. Jordan kept her face smooth, inquisitive but unconcerned, despite the sound of agony abrading her tympanum membrane.

"It was probably just the injured man Tess is taking care of, Jaime," Jordan conjectured smoothly, though she didn't really believe it herself. "I'm just going to go check on them, see if everything is... okay. Why don't you stay here, sis? I know you've seen worst on TV, but it's different in real life."

"Uh, yeah, sure," Jaime agreed. She wished she'd been able to keep an indifferent cool at the sight in the medical bay, but the smell of blood had been to potent, the sight of it more red than anything seen on TV or in a movie. Her hand found a small, black marble bookend, carved to represent Atlas holding up the world. It was heavier than a softball, but she thought she'd be able to throw it well enough. The thought made her feel better. "I'll stay here with Raucous, see if he's willing to play fetch or something."

"Okay, I won't be long." Jordan nodded, lips curving with approving amusement at the what Jaime held in her hand, then began walking down the hall, heeled boots striking the floor with muted clacks as she strove for a modicum of circumspection.

Isaac nodded, wondering why Tess was so shaky. He'd never found roughing people up for information to be that difficult. "Yeah," he said to her agreeably. "Let's go."

The big man paused only to check the bonds on the prisoner; then he turned and followed Tess out of the room. They made quite the sight for Jordan as she walked down the hall: the small, pale woman framed by the larger man. Hard gray eyes darted past Jordan, seeking Jaime; when he didn't see the younger girl, Isaac asked, "Where's Jaime?"

His regard for her sister's safety was a little off-putting, but Jordan knew that guys could become protective of women they'd helped in the past. And she wasn't getting a stalker or pedophile vibe off Isaac; she didn't get much of a sexual vibe at all from him.

Perched on her heeled boots, Jordan folded her arms beneath her breasts, turquoise eyes narrowing as she scrutinized the broad shouldered man. Isaac's protective instinct towards her sister was admirable - especially since it wasn't creepy, at not in itself - as well as being a little insulting. She wasn't perfect, but she thought she did a more than reasonable job as Jaime's guardian, she didn't need a veritable stranger second-guessing her.

The irritated suspicion was hidden behind faintly smiling curiosity so smoothly, Isaac and Tess weren't even sure they had seen it. She tossed her head, glistening auburn waves rippling and nodded back down the hall, her smiling growing exasperated when she saw a blue eye and soft brown tresses peeking through the crack between the library doors. Caught, Jaime dashed back to the couch, the light streaming between the doors broken for an instant by Raucous' furry body as he followed his charge.

"She's fine, Isaac," Jordan replied smoothly. "Jaime's in the Library with Raucous to guard her. Unless this... bunker is horribly riddled with breaches," Jordan flashed Tess a wry grin, "she will be safe enough."

Jordan shifted posture, a hand resting on her hip, a reddish brow cocked questioningly. "What about you guys? We heard screaming... Is everything okay?" Her eyes flicked pass them to the infirmary door then back.

Tess, still in her blood-stained clothes and looking both exhausted and ill, shook her head. "The severely injured man didn't survive. There was simply too much internal damage. The other man is sleeping now, recovering from his own wounds." She neatly side-stepped actually answering the question about the screaming and let Jordan choose any implication from what she'd said.

"As for this facility, it is called Sanctuary and I built it for us." The emphasis she put on the last word made it clear that she wasn't just talking about the three people standing in the hallway. "If you would like, I can give you a tour once I've changed clothes and cleaned up." She smiled wanly, "You and your sister are welcome to stay here as long as you'd like, as are you Isaac. This is meant to be a sanctuary and I am not so callous or racist to limit it to only Indigos. Now, though, I really need to get out of these clothes and take a shower. I ask that you three stay in the library until I come back, if only because it is easy to get lost down here."

It was a graceful evasion, but an evasion nonetheless. Someone's been asking questions, methinks. Jordan's eyes surreptitiously flicked to Isaac and back. But who? She tossed her burnished mahogany hair over a shoulder, keeping her suspicions hidden behind a drawn sigh, full lips curved in commiseration. She went to lay a comforting hand on the diminutive mistress of the Sanctuary, then paused - there wasn't much she could touch without getting more blood on her hands - her smile turning wry.

"Yes, perhaps that is a good idea, Tess," Jordan agreed smoothly "I know I'm going to take a long bath as soon as Jaime and I get home. I thank you for the offer of your Sanctuary, but it's not... Home. You understand?" Tess nodded in understanding - she had had to make her own home, after all.

Jordan's smile grew warmer, a tightness she hadn't known was there easing. "But I - and my sister, I'm sure - would like that tour, and to visit again, if possible." She let loose a short bout of rich, mellifluous laughter. "I can well imagine getting lost down here. We'll see you soon in the library."

Jordan turned elegantly on her heels, crooking an arm towards Isaac along with half a smile. "Shall we go check on Jaime, to make sure she hasn't managed to create some trouble for us down here?"

Isaac's respond was, as ever, brusque. "Yes." Isaac took three strides down the hall before looking back at the neglected beauty with narrowed eyes. "What? Do you need help to walk? You look fine."

"Noooo... Nevermind."

His blunt statement carried not a hint of a compliment, to Jordan's vast irritation. She was as proud as any artist of her work and the appearance she wore was a masterpiece she had spent years perfecting. She didn't think he was oblivious, but to someone who was very sexually... varied, she found Isaac's asexuality rather unfathomable.

Jordan strutted briskly at Isaac's side, jaw tilted at a proud angle, heels striking the ground primly.

Isaac had done something wrong. Jordan’s entire attitude suggested that he’d fucked up, and probably in a major way. He darted a sideways glance at her, assessing her walk and carriage. Yes, that was clearly feminine anger. It wasn’t the first time he’d run into that particular hitch, though he still didn’t understand it. He knew that it happened, but not why.

“Alright,” he said suddenly, stepping in front of Jordan but not touching her. “What?”

“Excuse me?” Jordan asked, narrowing her eyes at him.

“What’d I do?” Isaac asked bluntly, his gray eyes hard.

“What?”

“You’re pissed and you’re pissed at me, what’d the fuck I do?” Isaac asked, crossing his arms. “Jaime is my pack, and I have to get along with you because you’re her sister. I’m not a social genius, I have no idea why you’re mad. So what’d the fuck I do to you?”

Someone is suffering from severe social dyslexia, Jordan thought, staring at the man standing in front her with his thick arms crossed. He may have been able to pick up on social cues and body language, but apparently had no ability to discern them. If he wanted to be blunt about it, well, it wasn't her preference, but she would oblige him.

Her posture changed, becoming less affronted and more dominant with shoulders straight and pulled back as she poked him in the chest with a surprisingly firm finger. She radiated a smoldering sense of male-alpha-ness, incongruous but no less distinct despite her perfectly proportioned, feminine beauty balancing on a pair of high-heeled Louboutin boots.

"Look, Isaac. I appreciate what you did for her a week ago, I do, but Jaime is my sister, she's my responsibility, not yours." Her smokey contralto was clipped, but not unkind. "If Jaime wants to pursue her friendship with you, I won't stop her. But I have to tell, the... protectiveness you're showing towards her is a little insulting - like I'm not doing enough. Despite what you may think, I do a good job taking care of my sister."

"As for the rest of my pissiness, well..." Jordan took a step back, gesturing gracefully at her remarkable figure, full lips curving into a rueful smile. "That's just me being a vain bitch when I'm looking like this. I've spent years perfecting this appearance, balancing various attributes - contrary to popular belief, bigger isn't always better - to design someone sexy without being trashy, elegant while still being fun and approachable and I'm justifiably proud of the results. Everyone notices me, admires my looks or envies them, men and women, straight and gay."

Her grin grew tight, turquoise eyes flashing with a restored feminine pique. "Except you. You, you might as well be looking at a wall. It's... irritating." She tossed her head, then pointed down the hall. "That answer your question well enough? Can we go sit in the library now to wait while Tess gets cleaned up and so we can keep an eye on Jaime before she decides to go exploring?"

“My concern for Jaime is not an assessment of how well you care for her,” Isaac grunted. “You could be with her twenty-four-seven as her overcoat or something and I wouldn’t change the way I’m acting. This is how I show love.”

Jordan’s stance shifted to alarm. As Isaac wondered what she was getting angry about now, Jordan blurted, “Love?”

“Yeah,” Isaac replied. “You love your sister, I love all the members of my pack.”

“Jaime’s not in your pack.”

“That’s not your decision,” Isaac said with a sigh. “Or mine. I’d adopted her and Izzy before I knew they had someone looking out for them.” He shifted his weight to his other foot and added, “I know you don’t get it, it’s the way I work. Just be happy someone in this fucked up world cares about your sister, ok? Most girls don’t get protection from a guy with the strength and will to bend other people into a pretzel for them.” He hoped that Becky had someone like him watching over her. “And they sure as hell don’t get that protection from a guy who won’t take advantage of them. So chill the fuck out and stop taking it personally. It’s not you.

“And neither is my lack of interest. Frankly, I don’t care what you look like, you just don’t smell that hot to me,” Isaac added. Until he’d said it, he hadn’t realized that’s what he’d been looking for – a certain scent, an aroma that let him know he’d found his mate. He’d known that he was attuned to smells, so it made sense. That girl would just smell right and he’d know it. He shrugged again. “Nothing personal, Jordan. We cool?" He was talking to her like she was just another guy.

Finally beginning to understand what made Isaac tick, if not finding him any less odd, Jordan found her equilibrium restored, her wary tenseness easing. Now that she knew what to expect, Isaac's blunt demeanor was much easier to read, his brutal honestly no longer off-putting. Okay, at least, not as much. He imprinted on Jaime like... like a damned baby duck... or a pit-bull.

Jordan shifted her weight onto her other leg, her body-language growing relaxed instead of radiating female irritation or feminine allure. She gave Isaac an accepting nod. "Yeah, we're cool, Isaac. Guess we should both go check on Jaime, then, hmm?"

She tilted her head slightly, considering her sister's new... packmate. She got an impression as distinct as a fist to the face that he would stubbornly refuse to leave Jaime to her sole care so she might as well accept it. She gave herself a decided nod as she turned and headed towards the library.

"You want to come over to our place sometime for dinner, a barbecue or roast or something? I'm sure Jaime would like that and I'm a pretty good cook," she asked, giving Isaac a pondering sidelong glance.

I don't smell hot, huh? Debating whether she should be insulting or not, she left it undecided while she considered if she'd be able to manipulate her own scent. With an often heightened olfactory sense, Jordan was well aware that her natural scent altered as a side-effect of her shifting, but she hadn't ever considered changing it on its own. She'd have to read up on the factors that went into determining body odor.

I should've spent more time in Biology Class paying attention to the lesson rather than the students... and the teacher. Fuck! Was I ever a slut in high-school.

"Yeah, I can come over," Isaac said after a beat. He walked quietly for a moment before adding, "Do I need to bring wine or something? I was told never go to dinner without a gift."

He looked at her with utter innocence, his expression saying clearly that he'd never done anything like that before. Jordan realized that he was as socially isolated as anyone she'd ever met - or at least as isolated from humans as anyone she'd ever met. The bird on his shoulder reminded her that Isaac wasn't really alone.

"Don't worry about it," Jordan assured him. "We'll provide everything."

Isaac nodded. Jordan wondered if he was going to ask her more about it - time, date, what they'd be eating - but he was silent. His expression was neutral, changing only when they entered the library and Raucous bounded over to him. The dog emitted a high-pitched whine. "You're hungry?" Isaac asked suddenly and Jordan realized he was talking to the dog.

"Let's get some food. What about you, Jaime?" he asked, glancing up. "Our meal was interrupted - you hungry?"

Tess reappeared not too far into the discussion of a new meal; her clothes were changed and her hair fell in damp curls around her face. "Well, if people are still hungry, why don't we go back upstairs and grab some snacks before the tour?"

Hearing murmurs of assent, Tess fitted words to actions and took them back up the elevator to her house. Everything she had to offer of snacks was some sort of gourmet: the trail mix had exotic chocolates and dried fruits in it, the cheeses and crackers looked like they were made in a foreign country and shipped there. Only the small amount of beef jerky she had on hand seemed relatively normal, and that went as an offering to Raucous. "Once we're done with the tour, I'll make us all up something more substantial, alright?"

With that, the tour began. Back down the elevator, but not to the infirmary level, they went several stories deeper before the car finally settled and the doors whooshed open in near silent efficiency. They entered a long, wide area, somewhere between a hallway and an underground road wide enough for two large vehicles. A cream colored van was waiting just to their left. "You've seen the library and the infirmary; there's also a laboratory off of the infirmary on that level. There's also a stairwell from the library that reaches this level. I'll show you where on our way back up."

She opened the backseat door and motioned for people to file into the car. The trip was relatively short, ending only partway down the large hallway at an innocuous looking set of doors. Once everyone had made it out of the car, the doors swished open again and revealed a posh, elegant hallway much more suited to human size. Walking in felt much like walking into Tess's home or any of a number of gee-I-wish-I-could-live-there upper crust homes. Tess took them through the living space, which boasted not only a surprising number of personal suites on several different levels (larger than most "apartment homes" in New York proper), but an industrial kitchen and pantry, formal and informal dining areas, several living/family rooms, a number of small studies, and a huge games room. At the very top of the living spaces, several small rooms poked up above the waterline, giving a seabed view of the harbor. Below all of the levels of living area there was also a pool complex, complete with an Olympic standard pool, sauna, hot tub, and children's pool with zero-depth entrance and slides in the deeper ends. Next to the pool was a complete gym, with locker rooms and televisions spaced throughout the workout areas for entertainment or exercise tapes. Every bit of the space screamed wealth and privilege.

Going down another flight or two brought them to the communications and computer hub of Sanctuary. There were enough computers to serve an entire school, all of them top of the line or better. There were a maze of rooms, from large multi-user rooms to smaller private rooms. The larger rooms seemed geared for surveillance and coordination, while the smaller rooms could have been for anything from private study rooms to small LAN parties. Beneath that was another area that they were only given an abbreviated tour; it contained the master controls for all security measure for Sanctuary, as well as the fire system and the small geothermal power plant that powered Sanctuary.

Up they went again, back to the small highway (or low-way, maybe) and down through the rest of the hall. "We're now directly beneath South Brother island. This area holds workshops, a garage that has access to a warehouse on Port Morris that I own, and a concealed dock that exits near Riker's Island. There's also one more area here." The young woman smiled and led the way without further explanation.

They entered a room that wouldn't have been out of place at the hight of the laser tag era of the '90's: there was a small complex of rooms, ranging from very large to the size of prison cell. Various shaped objects littered the rooms, creating at the moment a chaotic randomness to the space; ladders, ramps, and makeshift climbing areas granted access to all the levels. It was a paintballer's paradise, but tinged with something more than simple playfulness. She let the group explore the rooms for a while, then called them back. "This next room is the last on the tour; then we should head back up to the house and get some food and talk."

She walked them into a large room, hardly prepossessing after the grandeur of the rest of the complex: There were about two dozen strange lounge chairs arranged in circles of six spaced around the room. On each wall of the room were control centers. Each of the chairs had helmet-like contraptions on the top of them, along with neatly folded shiny black suits on the seats. The center of each circle also had a helmet, differently shaped than the others and not attached to a chair, along with another shiny black full body leotard. "It's not quite a Danger Room, but between the other room and this full-submersion VR suite, it comes pretty close."

Despite the fast pace of the tour, it had still been several hours. Feet were sore, minds were spinning just a bit, and the snacks had definitely worn off. "Let's get back to North Brother and up to the kitchen for some real food. Then we can talk about all of this and decide what we're going to do from here. Hopefully Rob will be back sometime before morning, so we can include him as well. Or at least catch him up."

With that, she ushered everyone back to the van, pulled a U-turn, and took them back through Sanctuary and up to the kitchen in her house. The elegant dwelling seemed quite small now, but at least it was cozy and not so intimidating as the complex beneath them.

It was also full of the smell of cooking. By the time the four had come back Rob, surmising that Tess would be giving their new friends the grand tour (at least, he had surmised it after his second cup of coffee and a bologna sandwich) had set about making something more substantial. As Tess led the group into the kitchen they saw the magnetokinetic had set the table and was in the process of taking something out of the oven. The metal pan floated into place onto a mat on the table next to a couple of baskets that had a definite garlic bread-ish component, then looked at them and shrugged.

"Lasagna?" he half asked, half stated. Under the kitchen lights all could see that the young man's face was drawn, with dark circles under his eyes. "I know I'm starving here, and lasagna's my one thing more complicated than 'see meat, fry meat'."

The feral man hovered around Jaime, as was his wont. He didn't have much to say about the tour itself, apparently unimpressed with the wealth and grandeur that all of Tess' things indicated. He seemed more interested in the people they were with than the things they were looking at.

Isaac got food for himself and took a seat, watching Rob. As everyone else took care of their own needs, Isaac observed, "You look like shit. Where'd you go?"

The tone of the words could have easily been accusing, but they were merely interested. Raucous sighed and flopped by Isaac's side, brown eyes begging earnestly. As was Isaac's habit, he slipped the dog a bit of his meal, using his fingers to feed the dog.

"La Guardia." Rob flopped bonelessly into his chair and took a big swallow of coffee before leaning one elbow on the table and forking up a mouthful of meat, sauce and noodle. He chewed and swallowed mechanically, then elaborated. "It was bad. Bunch of planes in the East River and one surrounded by fire on the runway." He kept his eyes on his plate as he spoke, voice sounding as though it was ascending from somewhere below his boots.

"Christ, I'm so fucking tired. Never shifted so much metal before. It's different from doing sculptures in the naval junkyards." Weariness greyed his voice as the young man lifted his gaze to regard Isaac. "I got all the planes clear of the water and the fire. Made sure I saved everyone I could. But that wasn't everyone." He glanced at Tess then.

"What about the MiB I hit? He make it?"

She shook her head, her face almost as drawn as Rob's. "There was too much interior damage; his body couldn't take the surgery needed to repair him enough to heal."

She took a small piece of the lasagna, slipping into one of the armchairs in the living room right off the kitchen. She poked at the plate in the semblance of eating. "The other one is strapped up in the infirmary. I figure we can keep him there until we decide what we're going to do with him. He doesn't know where he is, so at least there's that."

Jordan followed Tess on her tour, a bemused smile on her lips. Once, she had intended parlaying her... talents into a lucrative career in Hollywood, and she did have an eye for fine things, admittedly, mostly for clothing. But the scale of this was beyond her. She wasn't sure why, but it was more impressive than Contessa 'merely' owning a pair of islands just off Manhattan. Jaime stared at it all with wide eyes, excited, impressed, and knowing she was out of her depth.

Reaching Tess' surface domain, they were treated to the rich smells of fresh cooking. Jordan gave Rob a warm smile. "Thank-you Rob. It's nice to be in a home and not being the one doing the cooking," she said with a slightly teasing grin directed at her sister.

Jaime scowled back, but her lips twitched with a trace of wryness. "I offered to take my turn. Sandwiches is cooking." Jaime bit into a piece of garlic-bread, nodding her thanks at Rob, but otherwise silent as she mulled over what she had seen. Subconsciously noticing Isaac, Jaime offered the crusty end of her bread to Raucous, who, ever the opportunist, happily obliged with a wet tongue.

Jordan's bemusement faded as she listened to Rob's recounting, eyes soft with sympathy. It was all the MiBs' fault, but she understood the guilt that could arise regardless. The pulse had been more extensive, more destructive than they had all been hoping. "At least you were able to help, Rob, more than most."

Jordan served Jaime a piece of lasagna, than made herself a large plate - so much shifting in so short a time had left her a deep hunger - and followed Tess into the living room. She began consuming her piece of lasagna deceptive haste. Jordan paused as Tess told Rob about their... guests. She was about to ask Tess what she intended to do with the body of the man who didn't make it when Jaime intruded.

Jaime stopped looking down at her plate and gave off musing to stare at Tess, pointing a finger accusingly. "You... have a lair! Why do you have a lair? How long have you been building it? How do you even hire people to build stuff like this?"

Jordan would have reprimanded her sister for her bluntness except she was somewhat wondering the same thing. Instead, she quirked a reddish brow at Jaime, who blushed, and continued eating, keeping her ears peeled for Tess' response.

Tess started, nearly dumping her plate into her lap. She sheepishly righted it and checked for spots of red sauce on her clothing; fortunately she'd caught the plate before it did any damage. She swallowed the bite of lasagna and turned to look at Jaime. "Well, to start with, please don't call it a lair or I'll get the urge to dress up and tights and give monologues and that's not good for anyone."

She smiled at that and continued on, "Second, I have Sanctuary because we're going to need it. Everyone that's like your sister, they're going to be looked for, feared, idolized, manipulated. They're going to be important to many people, whether they want to be or not. So I built us Sanctuary. As for how long, I had the shell and infrastructure built in about six months, then another three months or so to finish up the inside. I've been adding my own finishing touches since then, including hiring Isaac to help me train some guard dogs for the appearance of personal safety on the island and to encourage the kids that come here to make out and snoop around to find another illicit location."

She took another breath, still settling her nerves, and another bite of lasagna. "As for how to hire people, the answer is discretely and with the liberal application of money and incentives to live in the lap of luxury in some small paradise mostly unknown to the outside world. It is a complicated process, but doable if you have the money and the desire."

"This incident in Times Square, along with Apex's antics around the city are only the beginning. Eventually people will be able to put together the what and why of us, and then we're going to hunted even more fiercely than this. We, our families and friends, anything associated with us will be scrutinized and leveraged against us. So I built Sanctuary. It may not be fair to have to hide, at least for a time, but this is a safe place for us and those we call our own." She shrugged, leaving the reaction to the room.

The meal continued quietly. The lasagna was certainly not up to the gourmet standards to which Tess was accustomed but to the rest of them it was good, warm, and, best of all, cheesy. The conversation turned idle for a time as though no-one was willing to bring about the larger discussion of the evening's events. As a result when the doorbell rang it caught them all of guard.

She didn't start this time, but she did quickly lay the plate aside and make her way across the room. "Everyone stay here."

Her voice was firm, but her expression was worried; she reached out and connected with Sanctuary, pulling up the video surveillance outside the house to see who was at her house at such an unopportune time.

Originally Posted By: Mordred
"Everyone stay here."

Tess left the room and for a moment silence reigned. Jamie toppled the dictator by asking, "Aren't we on an island?"

Elsewhere Tess cast out her mind into the Sanctuary's network. Accessing the video cameras she cycled through the various feeds from around the island. As expected everything was normal except at the front door. Standing on the front steps, chest puffed out, arms bent with fists on hips, striking a clichéd heroic pose was a man in white, red, and blue. Apex was standing there waiting for somebody to open the door.

Her eyes went wide, and then she closed them and swallowed a laugh. She placed a hand and her forehead on the door and took a deep breath before opening it. "Apex. What an unexpected surprise. To what do I owe the honor of your visit?"

Inside she was cringing. Apex was an Indigo and therefore family and with a claim to be a guest in Sanctuary. But he was Apex. She'd always been more of a Batman girl over Superman or Captain America, mostly because she thought a bit of discretion was the better part of survival when it came to running around a city in tights or Kevlar doing illegal, if arguably moral, activities. Apex, in her opinion, was still a six-year-old little boy drooling over Superman comics and thinking spandex suits were fashionable.

She kept these thoughts to herself, though. He might surprise her, and attacking his ego was a pretty stupid thing to do to the inhumanly strong Indigo's face. So her expression stayed one of innocent surprise tinged with just the right amount of school-girl awe.

Hands on hips, feet planted wide at ninety degrees to each other, his broad chest puffed out, all that was missing was a cape and breeze to catch it and make it flow.

"Apex. What an unexpected surprise. To what do I owe the honor of your visit?"

"Good evening Sir, my name is Apex and I-," Apex blinked and looked down at Tess, a touch of confusion crossing his face for only the shadow of a second. he then took a deep breath and continued, "Good evening Ma'am, may I speak to the man of the house? I believe that he and I may have some things to discuss." His voice was deep and strong, as one would expect of a superhero. When he had finished he looked up and turned his head just so, his chin up.

Jordan suddenly straightened on the leather sofa in the living room, heightened senses catching the voices drifting from the front door. Setting her plate aside, she crossed her legs, resting her chin in a hand, head tilted slightly, ears straining to make out the words. Despite her nonchalant pose, the stunning woman seemed poised to react.

Jaime looked from the corner Tess had disappeared around to her sister and back. "Wha-?"

Jordan held up a hand for silence. "Shhh...I think Apex is at the door..." Jordan breathed.

Isaac rose to his feet, abandoning his food. "Raucous," he called softly and the dog's good-natured grin disappeared at Isaac's tone. "Shadow."

Isaac turned to the rest of the room. "Stay here," he told the others and stalked out the door. Raucous followed along, staying behind Isaac like a shadow. The big man picked his way through the house, careful to stay out of the visual line of sight of the door. Once there, he stepped so that Tess could see him but Apex couldn't. With a nod, he signaled that he was there to defend Tess if necessary.

"-nd I may have some things to discuss."

Turning to Raucous, he pointed to Tess and gave the hand signal for "guard". Raucous trotted forward and inserted himself between Tess and the costumed Indigo, tongue lolling as if he was playing. But the brown eyes that looked up at Apex were far from friendly.

Tess smiled smoothly, her irritation at the condescending misogyny carefully tucked away. "I am the lady of the house, sir, and there is no man of the house. Please, do come in; I've been having a dinner party and I believe there is still some lasagna left."

She swung the door open to allow the not-so-caped crusader to come in, and continued her inane chatter as they made their way through the house. "Would you like some wine? I have a nice collection and we just about to move on to dessert. There's a fantastic sweet red that goes wonderfully with chocolate gellato. It's an informal little get-together of some of my friends, so the party is rather casual."

She continued along the same lines until she had the "superhero" interred in one of the large suede couches in the living room, across from the almost-wall-sized tv. "Everyone, this is Apex, as I'm sure you know. Apex, these are my close friends. Now, would you like some of the lasagna, or just straight to dessert?"

The last was asked with a sweet smile and with the conviction that he'd have to choose one or the other before the conversation would go any further.

"Apecf!?" Rob's face was a picture of chagrin as he looked up from his meal, cheeks bulging with lasagna. He swallowed hastily before continuing. "Mmmf... Shit. Shit shit shit. And shit. Did I say 'shit' yet?"

"Uh-huh." Jaime stifled a giggle, but couldn't help grinning a little at Rob's comical dismay. "I think you did."

"Shush you two." Jordan's elegant brows knitted in annoyance as she tried to listen in on what was happening at the door. Rob groaned softly and buried his head in his hands, resting his elbows on the table.

"He's here to arrest me. I know it. He's going to beat me red-white-and-blue and drag me off to the clink for EMP-ing Manhattan and flying without a license." He looked up from his hands for a moment, fresh horror dawning on his handsome features. "Or else... he's here looking for a sidekick!" The horrified look in his eyes would have been haunting if it wasn't somehow surreal. "He wants to dress me up in tights and a domino mask and call me something homoerotic like 'Bucky' or 'Metallo-Lad'... Or even 'Kid Apex'." By now, Jaime's giggles were threatening to burst out from behind her clamped hands. Rob groaned and buried his head in his hands again. "He'll probably address me as 'good pal' or 'comrade'. Please, someone shoot me. Call the MiB's: tell them I submit to their sinister experimental agenda."

And naturally, that was the point that Tess led Apex into the room. Lost in his gloom, Rob didn't even notice how quiet everyone had gotten until Tess's voice sounded.

Quote:
"Everyone, this is Apex, as I'm sure you know. Apex, these are my close friends. Now, would you like some of the lasagna, or just straight to dessert?"

Rob didn't lift his head, instead cracking his fingers open a touch to peer through them at the spandex-wearing superhero sitting on the couch. Still covering most of his face, he leaned towards Jaime.

"How much did he hear, do you think?" The girl was turning red with the effort of not laughing.

"About the last three lines, I'd say." she told him without making eye contact.

"Ahh." Rob didn't react save to straighten up, still with his face in his hands. "I'm ready for dessert, Tess. A large slice of 'shut the hell up', please."

Tess smiled smoothly, her irritation at the condescending misogyny carefully tucked away. "I am the lady of the house, sir, and there is no man of the house. Please, do come in; I've been having a dinner party and I believe there is still some lasagna left."

"Ah, OK ... Oh, hello doggy." Apex bent over and patted the dog on the head. Literally. Three little pats in rapid succession before he strode, broad chested and purposeful, after Tess.
"Would you like some wine? I have a nice collection and we just about to move on to dessert. There's a fantastic sweet red that goes wonderfully with chocolate gellato. It's an informal little get-together of some of my friends, so the party is rather casual."

"Ma'am," he started again, "Do you ... oh, no thank you, not while I'm on duty. I ... oh, alright, if you insist." He sat down on the couch though his back was still ramrod straight his shoulders back and his head held high. It looked supremely uncomfortable.
"Everyone, this is Apex, as I'm sure you know. Apex, these are my close friends. Now, would you like some of the lasagna, or just straight to dessert?"

"I ... nothing for me, thank you. Hello to you all." Now that Tess allowed him a moment to think and act on his own he seemed to realize he was sitting and rose. "Thank you, for the offer but I prefer to stand, ready and waiting for my next call to duty." He turned to Rob, once again taking a wide stance with fists on his hips and his head tilted just so. "So you are the one who saved all those people at LaGuardia then? Fear not, I am neither here to arrest you nor force you to wear anything, or be called anything other than that which you wish. I'm not sure what EMPing is, but I'm sure you did what you did for the good of the citizenry.

"No, I simply wished to meet the man who saved so many without regard for himself or for the fame of the deed. I was closest to JFK when the disaster struck and rushed to save as many innocents as I could. When I was finally able to move on to LaGuardia I got there just as you were leaving. I followed you back here with the intent to give my thanks and offer the hand of friendship but I was forced to detour to deal with a few fires and a woman stuck in an elevator giving birth!" He laughed, and one could almost image a "Ha-ha!" balloon over his head as he did.

"But enough about me. I assume that your friends are all aware of your unique and special superpowers? You must pardon my excitement, I thought I was the only one. Well, aside from that fellow in the snappy white super-suit that saved those people earlier in the week."

Isaac hung back, even ducking out of sight while Apex passed. Raucous, however, clung to Tess' side, always standing between her and the stranger. Most people would have started to feel dumb or overly paranoid after a few minutes of this, but Isaac was only concerned about protecting his pack, Tess and her properly, in that order. He'd help out Jordon and Rob, too, if they needed it. He was just a little fuzzy on where they went in his priorities.

Despite the effort of stifling a giggle-fit, Jaime stared at Apex with wide eyes. Sure, he looked totally silly standing there like that in spandex, but he was really acting like a hero in a comic book too. It was exciting and a little (a lot) surreal. And here came here just to give Rob a thumbs up. She turned her wide, blue eyes on Rob, the looked back at Apex. "Wow..."

Jordan's lips twitched at the sight of the protesting Rob and the (overly) dramatic Apex, but otherwise kept her face smooth, real thoughts hidden behind heavy-lidded turquoise eyes. The outfit really doesn't leave much to the imagination, does it? Apex did what he did for whatever reasons, but she much preferred keeping the nature of her abilities circumspect... Which brought up another question. Has Apex never been contacted by Dreamtime and Gigaflop to join the Network?

"He has revealed the nature of his remarkable capabilities to us, but we were unaware that his actions have drawn the notice of so august a personage as yourself, Mr. Apex," Jordan commented in a silky, polite tone.

Archived