Mutants & Masterminds: The Indigo Children - [Interlude] Briefing

jameson (ST)

Monday, April the 26th, 2010

The phone buzzed. The man behind the desk stabbed at the button for speaker. "Sir, Agent Markum is here for your two o'clock." The voice was that of his secretary, or maybe she was an administrative assistant, he found it difficult to remember where that distinction lay any more, or if secretaries even existed now.

"Thank you, please send him in." ERB Director Donatello poked at the button again turning the phone off. He reached for the pile of documents on the desk as the door to his office opened. Agent Markum entered and closed the door behind him. "Good afternoon Markum, please have a seat. This is about yesterday's events, correct?"

"Yes, sir. Things didn't really go that well; as I'm sure you saw in my report." Markum was a fit man in his early thirties. Not exceptionally large or small, nor striking in appearance, his chief personal asset was a formidable mind; as a result he was in charge of all the organization's field teams.

"Yes, I saw. There was an incident? The subject resisted?"

"Yes sir. He resisted, used his powers to fight back and then fled. We can confirm from that, that the target has the ability to fly unassisted. The method is unknown, though the eggheads suspect it may have something to do with electromagnetic induction on the Earth's own magnetic field. There's a significant deal of speculation on what this could mean." Markum shifted in his seat as the Director grunted in response. "Yeah. Still, we were able to get a clear enough image for facial recognition software to work. His name is Robert Mitchell. Born August nine, nineteen ninety here in New York. He fits the profile we've established."

"Excellent. Anything else?"

Markum nodded, "He's wanted for questioning in the death of his stepfather in Kentucky five years ago. Disappeared after that. We're looking to see if there's an alias. Kid might be smart enough to have a false ID that's off the networks. If he rides the law close he'll never have to worry about it not standing up."

"Find him, Markum. Find that boy."

"Yes, sir."

• 4 months later...

Monday, May the 3rd, 2010

"What the hell happened last night? Was it one of them?" Director Donatello asked as Agent Markum entered his office, not even waiting for the other man to close the door and sit.

"We think so, sir. The epicenter of the EMP seems to have been here in New York we're still collating data, manually, and trying to pinpoint it further." Markum sat down, opening a folio of papers, "Two of them stepped in in New York, saved hundreds, maybe thousands of lives at the airports. Other activity was reported in Boston, Washington, and Philadelphia among others."

The Director nodded, "I've seen the reports as well. The cat is out of the bag and scratching the furniture it seems."

"Well, to be fair, the cat is also ... to be fair some of them, like Apex, used their abilities to save lives, to help people. Just because one-"

"Markum, I don't need you to remind me that some of them are good people, but likewise I don't need to remind you that if just one of them was able to do this," he waved a disgusted hand at the stacks of paper reports, the Newspapers, the handwritten phone transcripts. He took a breath, "If this is the kind of power that one of them can wield what the hell kind of chance do we have against them? Against the ones that didn't grow up reading too many comic books like Apex probably did."

"I don't know sir," Markum replied quietly.

"Exactly, and that's the problem."

Archived