Mutants & Masterminds: The Indigo Children - [IN] Great, another moron thinks he's a superhero

jameson (ST)

Posted by: Lazarus on 04/25/10 at 11:23 (-5:00 GMT)

OK folks, seriously time to fucking stand up and say that this shit ain't funny. Not sure if you all have heard, can't imagine you haven't if you live in NYC but maybe some of you who got out missed it, but some new asshat put on a pair of tights and went out pulling the superhero bullshit last night.

Now OK fine, he saved some people, but for fucks sake between Apex and this new asshat we're in serious danger of drumming up enough unwanted interest that people might just start figuring out who and what we Indigos are. Come on people stand up and make yourself heard, maybe if this new guy sees that he's putting us all at risk he might stop. Hell maybe even "Apex" will decide to give up while he's ahead.

-Lazarus out

Guest SavageRick

Posted by: Savage Rick on 04/25/10 at 11:58 (-5:00 GMT)

Stop being a fuckwad. Have you looked outside? The Big Apple is rotten to the core in every way that matters. The police are understaffed and overworked and crooked as hell. The Mayor is so far into Shreveson's pocket that he's giving the sonovabitch a rimjob. The roads, the gangs, the citizen's too afraid to even go out at night unless they have a gun. This place needs people like Apex and this new guy. We have gifts and we should be using them!

------------

Savage Rick

Guest MonsterButterfly

Something has to be done about the crime! Who here hasn't lost someone to violence and criminal activity?

In fact, this new guy has inspired me to do something, too! I'm going to make a costume and start doing stuff, too!

Oooooooooooooooorrr...

And this is a doozy of a thought...

We could not wear costumes and work within the system to stop the criminals. Not everything should be resolved with a fist or 'magical' powers. Drop the tights and use your brains.

Guest Anonymous

Posted by: SpringLoaded on 04/25/10 at 12:12 (-5:00 GMT)

Figures. Savage Rick, all talk no action. You say we sould all get out there. Unless you're Apex or this new fruitcake shut the hell up Ricky.

I agree with our colorful lepidopterist here. If people feel the need to use their powers for the betterment of the people that's great, but do it in a way thats legal and doesn't draw attention to yourself, and, by association, the rest of us!

This new guy will hopefully prove to be nothing more than a one time wonder. The last thing we need is another Apex.

------------

SpringLoaded

What about the risks involved?

I'm not talking about the risks every cop or firefighter or paramedic has to take as part of their work. I'm talking about a very real secondary set of problems that are caused by our being... whatever the hell it is we are.

Take Apex: Right now if he appears, busts some heads and leaves the perps for the police sure he's technically a vigilante, but at least he doesn't have some chucklehead suing him for mental stress caused by watching Apex defy the laws of God or some shit.

At least he won't have the freaking media invading his life from top to bottom and trying to find dirt in his laundry hamper just because 'people have a right to know who's stopping these crimes'.

At least some mook with a grudge isn't going to be able to heave a high-explosive package through Apex's hypothetical daughter's classroom window.

Big deal, so a man with the power to do something is choosing to do it, and he chooses to be accountable to his own ethical and moral compass whilst working within the spirit of the laws that protect folks. So what if he wants to keep his identity secret, thus safeguarding his life, his wife/girlfriend/boyfriend's life, his dog's life... You get the idea.

There's the other side of the coin too, sure. Apex and this Tighty Whitey are causing people to focus their attention on us weirdos. If you guys are reading this, be careful. Don't get so fame-hungry that you get sloppy and tell all on TV. In this day and age, it doesn't take much to reduce a hero to a zero.

Guest MonsterButterfly

Posted by: MonsterButterfly on 04/25/10 at 12:28 (-5:00 GMT)

Quote:
So what if he wants to keep his identity secret, thus safeguarding his life, his wife/girlfriend/boyfriend's life, his dog's life... You get the idea.

I have a word for this: cowardice.

Yellow-bellied, weak-kneed cowardice.

Cops operate within the law, and are targets along with their families. Politicians recieve death threats all the time. That is bravery, not putting on a mask and loping about the city like BATMAN.

Apex isn't a hero, he's a coward.

I swear, some of you idiots could justify eating babies.

MonsterButterfly: That would require economic opportunities for a great many those otherwise choosing crime, and while there's organized crime in this area to this degree, businesses won't come back.

And as for legally getting rid of crime? As Rick pointed out, the police no longer have the monetary support they once had and a portion of the force is taking bribes from Shreveson and others.

For that matter, based on my reading of recent events, he's got at least 3 of the district attorneys bought, including Daniel Eggman of Manhattan for sure. The list of judges is probably longer.

I doubt it's impossible, but dismantling the Shreveson mob is not likely to be done any time soon...

As for calling them cowards, at least they're trying. The list of police succumbing to bribes rather than fight is getting longer. Are they not cowards?

Telluris:

I think they'll keep that in mind.

Guest SavageRick

Posted by: Savage Rick on 04/25/10 at 12:47 (-5:00 GMT)

SpringLoaded go back to sucking at the teat and don't come back until you're mature enough for the real world.

MonsterButterfly, I hope your ignorance of the truth of life gets you pinned to some cardboard in a psychotic's basement somewhere.

God you people make me sick.

---------

Savage Rick

Guest Anonymous

Posted by: SimplyMemorable on 04/25/10 at 01:01 (-5:00 GMT)

Wow, I get back from walking the dog and the forum has descended into freeform hatred - again. At least the norms can rest easy knowing we're too busy fighting each other to pull a Magneto on them.

MB: Time to hit the downers again. Try to look at it this way - at least they're trying to do something good and aren't cheating, robbing and murdering their way to a life of decadence.

Tell: Those are some very good points. My only fear upon reading your comments is the following: "he chooses to be accountable to his own ethical and moral compass whilst working within the spirit of the laws that protect folks". So what happens when one of us chooses to be accountable to an ethical and moral compass that allows them to kill wantonly? We'd be looking at someone who will announce our powers to the world in the worst possible way. It is coming. We all know that. Apex and this white masked crusader may become our standing police force against such an eventuality.

Shove: You might wish to cut back on the rhetoric a bit. Your points are valid, but "the ends justify the means" has never been a valid ethical statement. Tell's statement of "the privacy keeps my family safe" is much more compelling to me, as I have family I'm rather fond of, personally.

Rick: My I suggest a round of downers as well as a regular exercise regimin? Both, if done properly, will work to balance your anger issues. Those issues are causing you to spew invective without substance.

Originally Posted By: Anonymous
Posted by: SimplyMemorable on 04/25/10 at 01:01 (-5:00 GMT)

Tell: Those are some very good points. My only fear upon reading your comments is the following: "he chooses to be accountable to his own ethical and moral compass whilst working within the spirit of the laws that protect folks". So what happens when one of us chooses to be accountable to an ethical and moral compass that allows them to kill wantonly? We'd be looking at someone who will announce our powers to the world in the worst possible way. It is coming. We all know that. Apex and this white masked crusader may become our standing police force against such an eventuality.

Trust me, if anyone starts on the whole 'destroy all humans' kick, I'll be in line to help Apex and Tights put them in the naughty box where they belong for a nice long time-out. My only point was that Apex isn't hurting anyone that wasn't trying to hurt or rob someone else. As far as I'm concerned, his heart's in the right place even if his lunchbox is on the 11 o'clock news.

Posted by: Lazarus on 04/25/10 at 13:53 (-5:00 GMT)

The problem isn't that he's doing the wrong thing, clearly he's helping. The problem is that one of these days somebody is going to be prepared to take Apex or this other schmuck out. They find out who he is and they might connect back to the Event and from there they start looking more closely at all of use born in the wake of the great big whatever the hell it was. We all know the government covers stuff up and does black bag crap when they can get away with it. If they think they can figure out how to make an army of Apex's I have no doubt that they'll start to disappear us.

Apex and this Supremacist guy are putting all of us at risk. That is why I have a problem with their actions.

-Lazarus out

We won't be able to remain hidden forever, somewhere someone is going to something spectacular, for good or ill, and then we're going to really be under the microscope. When that happens, I like to thing that those actually out there helping others will have generated enough goodwill from the populace that we aren't all carted away to some research facility.

Guest MonsterButterfly

Posted by: MonsterButterfly on 04/25/10 at 14:01 (-5:00 GMT)

Ah, the schoolyard bully speaks. Thanks for your dumbass opinion, Shove. I would tell you where to shove it, but I suspect that Apex does that for you on a regular basis.

I guess I have to explain every-fucking-thing to you people.

Originally Posted By: The Amazing Schoolyard Bully
MonsterButterfly: That would require economic opportunities for a great many those otherwise choosing crime, and while there's organized crime in this area to this degree, businesses won't come back.

So all hope is lost! Let's all just sit back and let Apex save us. There's no reason for any of us to do anything other than wait for A-pez and Q-Tip Lad to save us.

Originally Posted By: The Pusher
And as for legally getting rid of crime? As Rick pointed out, the police no longer have the monetary support they once had and a portion of the force is taking bribes from Shreveson and others.

Yeah, that can't at all be fixed by changing the funding that the city gets, or finding someone who can clean up the cops. None of these methods will work, so you're right. We should just let A-pez and his cheap imitators do it all their way.

Originally Posted By: Shovilious
For that matter, based on my reading of recent events, he's got at least 3 of the district attorneys bought, including Daniel Eggman of Manhattan for sure. The list of judges is probably longer. I doubt it's impossible, but dismantling the Shreveson mob is not likely to be done any time soon...

DA's can be fired; judges removed. There are honest people out there, and they don't need a fucking cape and set of tights to fix the world. They have the courage to the hard work the right way without fucking short cuts. Hooray to them, boo to A-pecker and Mr. Tighty-Whities.

Originally Posted By: Shove-it-where-the-Apex-don't-shine
As for calling them cowards, at least they're trying. The list of police succumbing to bribes rather than fight is getting longer. Are they not cowards?

The fact that you actually expect me to answer that question tells me you're dumber than I thought. Yes, they are cowards. They are cowards because they DID THE WRONG FUCKING THING!!!! And I say the same about these costumed idiots. They are taking the easy way, and should just stop their cowardice.

Originally Posted By: Sick Rick
Posted by: Savage Rick on 04/25/10 at 12:47 (-5:00 GMT)

God you people make me sick.

If you disapprove of me, Dick, I'm doing everything right.

Originally Posted By: MonsterButterfly
Posted by: MonsterButterfly on 04/25/10 at 14:01 (-5:00 GMT)

DA's can be fired; judges removed. There are honest people out there, and they don't need a fucking cape and set of tights to fix the world. They have the courage to the hard work the right way without fucking short cuts. Hooray to them, boo to A-pecker and Mr. Tighty-Whities.

1. Never said it was impossible, merely a bit difficult.
2. It's not likely that there wouldn't be any bad apples in the next bunch for Shreveson to exploit.
3. There are uncorrupted people working against him, but part of what the bought police and judges do is keep the good people stymied.
4. It's not that simple to get rid of them anyway.

Quote:

The fact that you actually expect me to answer that question tells me you're dumber than I thought. Yes, they are cowards. They are cowards because they DID THE WRONG FUCKING THING!!!! And I say the same about these costumed idiots. They are taking the easy way, and should just stop their cowardice.

It's not as easy as you think, Butterfly. If it were, no doubt we'd be hearing about massive superhero cleanups in the morning news.

Guest TheDunwichHorror

Posted by: TheDunwichHorror on 04/25/10 at 20:11 (-5:00 GMT)

We've got power. The monkeys that gave rise to us don't. Therefore we're superior. We should be doing whatever we want with our gifts. Apex wants to protect the monkeys. Fine, the brave new world will need a zoo keeper. For my part its time to stop hiding and time to start living to my potential.

Glarg!

-TheDuwichHorror

Posted by: Tiresias on 04/25/10 at 20:28 (-5:00 GMT)

Lovely sentiment, Dunny. Nothing that hasn't been said time and time again. smirk

Regardless of what we can do, we're just people, and blessed and flawed as any other. Some of us are strong and ethical, some are petty or mean, the whole spectrum. Do I have the right to dictate what anyone does? Other than my ward, not really.

However, be aware if you do what you want, be prepared to pay for the consequences of your actions. And at least have the decency to be the one who pays, instead of forcing everyone around to pay for your actions. This goes as much to Dunwich (and those to who believe likewise) as to Apex and The New Guy (and those who do likewise).

The Caped Crusaders may be doing some good deeds - and I believe they are - but they'll all be forgotten the moment they enact their 'justice' on someone who is perfectly innocent. Either they'll be caught, or they'll cover it up, and then, they're really no different than the ones they're after.

I don't have the compulsion to dress-up like a superhero and go looking for trouble (Unless it's Halloween, then all bets are off). My desire for making the world a better place stretches only so far as making it a better place for my family and friends. Call it enlightened self-interest.

Please, really think before you leap (over tall buildings or whathaveyou).

-Tiresias (Look it up!)

Posted by: Mordred on 04/25/10 at 20:29 (-5:00 GMT)

Originally Posted By: TheDunwichHorror

We've got power. The monkeys that gave rise to us don't. Therefore we're superior. We should be doing whatever we want with our gifts. Apex wants to protect the monkeys. Fine, the brave new world will need a zoo keeper. For my part its time to stop hiding and time to start living to my potential.

Glarg!

-TheDuwichHorror

And this is the real issue. We are people that have, by accident of birth, been gifted with power. There was no consideration of moral inclination, intelligence, or mental health taken into account. To quote a movie: "God kills indiscriminately, and so too shall we." In a fit of irony, it's said by a character that only kills "bad" people because of his intense angst over murdering a woman on the steps of a church. But that's not the point....

This is the situation we are presented with. Apex and those like him stand in one corner of moral superiority and the power to impose their opinions on the city or the world, should they choose. The Dunwich Horror appears to have their own morals and opinions on the matter as well. As an Indigo, they no doubt have the power to at least attempt to enforce this view on a portion of the world as well. Should they choose to, and should these parts of the world in which the Dunwich Horror and Apex and his like collide, there is a hight potential for death and destruction on a scale usually only reserved for killing fields in third world countries and plagues.

Remember that for every hero that's been written about, there's been a cast of villains arrayed against them and in between them nothing but collateral damage. Make your choices wisely and be certain you can live with the consequences.

~Mordred

Posted by: Lazarus on 04/25/10 at 11:23 (-5:00 GMT)

Originally Posted By: TheDunwichHorror

Glarg!

-TheDuwichHorror

Not the kind of statement I was hoping for here. Though if your goal was to drive me into admitting that Apex is better than a raving lunatic throwing plasma blasts around in Times Square then, yes, I admit he's better than that.

Originally Posted By: Mordred
Should they choose to, and should these parts of the world in which the Dunwich Horror and Apex and his like collide, there is a hight potential for death and destruction on a scale usually only reserved for killing fields in third world countries and plagues.

This is exactly what I'm worried about. Even if Apex isn't hold back on those videos of him a confrontation between him and another Indigo with a similar level of power could be catastrophic. There's no good that will come from any of us coming out and using our powers publicly.

-Lazarus out

Guest Litigator

Posted by: Litigator on 04/26/10 at 07:44 (-5:00 GMT)

Originally Posted By: MonsterButterfly

Actually they actions that "Mr. Tighty-Whities" took last night fall under good Samaritan laws. He was helping to save lives and would be protected from potential litigation even if he hadn't been masked.

As for Apex, he could be said to be performing a "citizen's arrest" which is legal in our fine United States (except North Carolina, their laws are a little different). Under those laws however he is not protected from strict liability before the courts of civil- and criminal law including but not limited to any infringement of another's rights. By legal definition a vigilante "is someone who illegally punishes someone for perceived offenses, or participates in a group which metes out extralegal punishment to such a person."

Apex could be considered as such but he could also hide behind self defense laws and the auspices of the Citizen's Arrest laws. Technically Apex's "victims" (if you dare call those scum bags victims), could be argued be to resisting arrest by a law abiding citizen. After all Apex does turn over the criminals to the police for prosecution under the legal system.

I say that despite the tenuous legality of his actions he should be supported, at least until such time as he steps over the line.

-Litigator, arguing like a pro in another couple of years (I hope)

What the hell? Why are we arguing over this? No one's gonna change their damned minds. We're all going to live like the animals we are.

You wanna stop this, you're gonna have to make them stop, with fists.

And you peaceful pansies who are all talk now don't believe me, just wait. Time's gonna prove me right.

MadDog: Mind being slightly more clear on the who?

But regardless, I don't think anyone who has stated their stance is likely to be swayed, myself included. I think we'll have to give it a rest, all of us.

Shove: No, I don't. I was referring to everyone, you, me, the humans, everyone. You can't change someone's mind, even with fists. All you can do is force them to behave through superior power. Look at all the damned wars throughout history.

Frankly, I don't give a shit about what you guys do, so long as you don't do it to me. And I sure as shit ain't looking to go prancing around in a costume saving people. Ain't no one innocent to save anymore. Everyone preys on others.

Guest Anonymous

Posted by: HowlerMonkeyButt on 04/26/10 at 13:24 (-5:00 GMT)

Originally Posted By: Maddog
Woof woof woof Snarl woof bark *drool*

I'll fuck you up if I feel like it. Mind control for the muther fucking WIN assholes.

HowlerMonkeyButt

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Anthony Boleyn on 04/26/10 at 10:36 (-8 GMT)

Maybe, after New York City turns on Apex and Bleach Boy, they can get stage shows in Vegas? They're certainly flashy enough.

Guest FondueOfWisdome

Originally posted by FondueOfWisdome on 04/26/10 at 10:55 (-8 GMT)

Originally Posted By: Shove
I doubt it's impossible, but dismantling the Shreveson mob is not likely to be done any time soon...

I have a way of doing that. Shoot Brendan Shreveson in the head. Shoot the next guy to take over. Rinse and repeat until no one will be the boss. Voila! Problem solved.

That is your cheesy dipping of wisdome for today.

Archived